PDA

View Full Version : Should Memphis Grizzlies commit to this core?

beasted86
04-17-2012, 01:41 PM
It's been nice to see the small market Grizzlies on the upswing over the past couple years, but I got to thinking about how far the team can really go, and if they should commit to their core this summer going forward.

OJ Mayo, Mareese Speights and Darrell Arthur are free agents this summer. They were a luxury tax team this year, and will be if they resign 1 or 2 of these guys.

Is there enough internal growth and development that this teams can get better? Is this their ceiling? Do they need 1 more year of full health to see how good they really are? Will everything depend on this year's playoff outcome?

Lake_Show2416
04-17-2012, 01:47 PM
hell ya, the Grizz have done an amazing job of acquiring complementing players to create a legit title contender for many years to come, small market teams need to observe & take some notes on how to build a great team, the Grizz showed that u dont only need to be somewhat fortunate in the NBA draft to lift a small market team outta of the being a consistent lottery team, u can be proactive with finding certain players that fit with the team

Chronz
04-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Yea because I think they can keep Speights on the cheap, Ive always liked him, surprised when Philly traded him. OJ isnt worth keeping if hes getting a huge deal but I doubt he does. Aurthur being hurt was an underrated loss, hes like a poor man Taj Gibson, who I believe is also a FA this year. I think he resigns 1 year deal unless Memphis is smart enough to offer him one of those multi year deals on the cheap.

ManRam
04-17-2012, 01:54 PM
When I think of "committing to a core" I tend to think bad things...like Washington (Gil, Hughes, Tawn) and Atlanta now (good team, just no chance to get over the last hump). But I think Memphis should do it. Will they ever get over the hump if they bring back all those guys and thus can only use exceptions to sign FAs for the next few years? Probably not. But they're close, and they're better off doing it than not.

Iron24th
04-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Memphis is not a great regular season team, but on a 7 games series they can beat anyone,they're really built for the playoffs.

smith&wesson
04-17-2012, 02:01 PM
It's been nice to see the small market Grizzlies on the upswing over the past couple years, but I got to thinking about how far the team can really go, and if they should commit to their core this summer going forward.

OJ Mayo, Mareese Speights and Darrell Arthur are free agents this summer. They were a luxury tax team this year, and will be if they resign 1 or 2 of these guys.

Is there enough internal growth and development that this teams can get better? Is this their ceiling? Do they need 1 more year of full health to see how good they really are? Will everything depend on this year's playoff outcome?

wouldnt the core be marc gasol, zack randolph, rudy gay, m.conley, and oj mayo ?

yes i think they are on to something. they have had key injuries to gay and randolph last season and this season. i would say they still have room to improve.

Baller1
04-17-2012, 02:07 PM
I think they should let Mayo go unless he comes really cheap.

mzgrizz
04-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Gotta love this core of players we have right now. Heisley was committed and the fans are too. Don't see need to mess with it for a couple of years.

Sinestro
04-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Keep it only one I would be weary of is Mayo you don't wanna overpay

celtNYpatsHeels
04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
That ship has sailed. The grizz has already committed to their core. Randolph Gay Gasol and Conley... all signed until 2015 (Conley until 2016)

Roy Rogers
04-17-2012, 02:23 PM
From a Blazers fan to a fellow small-marketer....pray to (whoever) for no injuries.

Joshtd1
04-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Personally think the Grizz play better without Gay and should look into trading him if they could, but that's me.

2-ONE-5
04-17-2012, 02:31 PM
i think Mayo is gone. They have been talking about dealing him for 2 years now and he can prob go somewhere else and start. Speights will prob get a little overpaid but he was just a replacement player while Randolph was out they can find a cheaper and equally better replacement in the draft or in FA of they want. They should try to keep Mayo bcuz I think he is their only real 3pt threat

5ass
04-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Personally think the Grizz play better without Gay and should look into trading him if they could, but that's me.

I agree. I think its because they run more offense through marc when gay's out. Gasol is still under-utilized.

gaughan333
04-17-2012, 03:08 PM
No they should give mayo to the bulls

Joshtd1
04-17-2012, 03:14 PM
I agree. I think its because they run more offense through marc when gay's out. Gasol is still under-utilized.

Well that and they give to Z-Bo more too which I think is harder to defend then having someone take bad shots from 17 + feet.

That's why I feel they were a lot more dangerous last year because they pounded it inside.

justinnum1
04-17-2012, 03:16 PM
good core

Shammyguy3
04-17-2012, 03:25 PM
i voted no, only because they should let Mayo walk. If he's not part of their plans, then yes... committing to everyone else would be a smart move. I have them 3rd in the Western Conference on best odds to make it to the Finals behind the Spurs and Thunder.

Blitzbolt
04-17-2012, 04:13 PM

Yea all Spurs fans do lol.

Anyways I think we will let Mayo go but the coaching is the key Big Inside Players and physical Guards it what we need and Mayo i more of skill/Fast break guy.

Blitzbolt
04-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Well that and they give to Z-Bo more too which I think is harder to defend then having someone take bad shots from 17 + feet.

That's why I feel they were a lot more dangerous last year because they pounded it inside.

ZBO still has a HUGE Knee brace and is not moving like last year(Yet anyways)so even if we want to go to him we can't.

With Rudy we have better chance to beat the thunder but the Spurs not so much.

Joshtd1
04-17-2012, 05:01 PM
ZBO still has a HUGE Knee brace and is not moving like last year(Yet anyways)so even if we want to go to him we can't.

With Rudy we have better chance to beat the thunder but the Spurs not so much.

I understand, but still you guys have Gasol so is pretty good. I mean Gay is a good player, but for a team like us who's weakness is front court since Pop won't play our two best bigs together I'm glad Gay is back. I like seeing him take touches away from the bigs.

Avenged
04-17-2012, 05:09 PM
As long as their main guys are locked up for the future. This team is on the rise, and if they continue to improve it's just a matter of time before other players fancy to play there.

mzgrizz
04-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Don't forget we also have Tony Allen for 2 more yrs

da ThRONe
04-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Can't imagine this team getting much better. They've had there two best players out the majority of two consecutive years.