PDA

View Full Version : Has the jordan effect ruin team basketball?

Jayrich28
04-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Is there a trend going on in the past 10 yrs where superstar players are falling in love with the iso game or ball hogging where it has effected team play?

I wanna use kobe,rose, melo for instance...the team is not better without these guys but team play when these guys are on the floor isnt maximized. Where as when they are out the team remaining ball movement ,energy ,and play improves.

Media gave mj so much attention during the bulls run that these new players have adapted there game toward them being dominant even if it may not be best for the team.

justinnum1
04-16-2012, 06:03 PM
I blame AAU

Lake_Show2416
04-16-2012, 06:04 PM
its always been like that when growing up, every young player entering the league were all at 1 point the top dog of their team

flea
04-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Well since the rules are now being tailored toward superstar players it really doesn't affect outcomes. They might as well play the NBA 2 on 2 like in NBA Jam. If you really like basketball you have to watch college, which is a shame.

JasonJohnHorn
04-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Kids grow up emulating players. Jordan was the most popular player of his generation, so the generation who follows tries to "be like Mike". So yes. Jordan has ruined the game of basketball.

But don't worry, hopefully the next generation will emulate Tim Duncan after he wins his fifth championship this season!

PlayDPlease
04-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Yes.

ManRam
04-16-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't think it's ruining the game. "Hero ball" is too common, but it's also too exciting. It's fun to watch...and the whole "clutch" debate gets so much more interesting because of it.

flea
04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
I don't think it's ruining the game. "Hero ball" is too common, but it's also too exciting. It's fun to watch...and the whole "clutch" debate gets so much more interesting because of it.

Not for people who like basketball instead of WWE without the awesome storylines and body slams.

PlayDPlease
04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
I blame AAU

Yes. Everybody giving his buddy a hand job ganging up in super teams.
Like the Heat.

justinnum1
04-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Yes. Everybody giving his buddy a hand job ganging up in super teams.
Like the Heat.

Sorry they chose to come to my team:rolleyes:

And your one to talk, being a knicks fan. You wanted them too, and you got melo and stat, who dont really fit at all but you still got them...

ManRam
04-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Not for people who like basketball instead of WWE without the awesome storylines and body slams.

I don't blame Jordan for the rule changes...

I did read the title before this post as being "has the jordan effect ruined basketball"...didn't see "team". So yeah, we have more selfish players than ever.

It's not as "pure" of a game because we have so many players who stop playing team basketball late in games and just take hero shots. It sucks, but for the sport as a whole, it's not ruining anything. I might not like it, maybe you don't either, but it's great for the league...and that's how I interpreted it originally. I think it's good for the league's popularity...but of course it hurts team play. How couldn't it. Hero ball isn't efficient, not at all. Not even guys like Kobe, guys we regard as being ultra clutch, are efficient on last second second shots. They often settle for contested deep shots than running the offense and actually getting open/high percentage shots.

ackar
04-16-2012, 06:22 PM
I do not subscribe to this so called hero ball nonsense. Since the advent of organized play the best player on the team traditional takes the last shot or looked upon to bring the team back from a few points down. The same thing happens in other sports but there are restrictions on what a player a can do because of how each game is played etc.

For every Steve Kerr or John Paxon or Robert horry hitting a game winner it is because of the star player drawing multiple players to him to get them the wind open shot. Would a regular joe player be able to do that draw extra defenders ...no.

So No MJ effect did not ruin basketball.

Iodine
04-16-2012, 06:38 PM
As someone who loves any ABA history or game film, watch 9/10 old ABA games or games in the mid to late 70's and you will see all the ISO you want and 10x more.

SMH!
04-16-2012, 06:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-EyRUgp9Mk

Sinestro
04-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Perhaps to an extent, I don't mind Rose or any other superstar having the ball late in the game I do have a problem with them taking dang near every shot towards the end of the game

AIRMAR72
04-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Is there a trend going on in the past 10 yrs where superstar players are falling in love with the iso game or ball hogging where it has effected team play?

I wanna use kobe,rose, melo for instance...the team is not better without these guys but team play when these guys are on the floor isnt maximized. Where as when they are out the team remaining ball movement ,energy ,and play improves.

Media gave mj so much attention during the bulls run that these new players have adapted there game toward them being dominant even if it may not be best for the team.

very true cause MJ did change the game with his style of play taking and making bigtime clutch shots he was a factor on both end of the court looking good doing it too even when he mis a shot it look good

Rafer17
04-16-2012, 10:19 PM
I blame AAU

This. This, exactly.

:clap:

Raph12
04-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Jordan had the ideal team to play "iso-ball" with, if your team is built to play "iso-ball" like the Knicks currently (without Lin and Stat) are, you have to go with what works best.

bagwell368
04-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I do not subscribe to this so called hero ball nonsense. Since the advent of organized play the best player on the team traditional takes the last shot or looked upon to bring the team back from a few points down. The same thing happens in other sports but there are restrictions on what a player a can do because of how each game is played etc.

For every Steve Kerr or John Paxon or Robert horry hitting a game winner it is because of the star player drawing multiple players to him to get them the wind open shot. Would a regular joe player be able to do that draw extra defenders ...no.

So No MJ effect did not ruin basketball.

Look at the history of the NBA more closely.

Look at the Celts during the Russell years. Fast breaking, passing, rebounding, balanced scoring. Best shooter takes last shot? Sure common sense. Takes every shot? Not then.

How about the Lakers and Celts of the 80's. Recognizable stars, yet, the running team game and balanced scoring holds on pretty well. One way you know this isn't today is that Bird got crushed and wasn't protected by the refs.

Another way you know the game is different is you have your kids (your own, or kids you are coaching) to watch the mid 80's Celts and within 90 seconds they are going ga ga over the passing.

The game has more great athletes then 30 or 50 years ago - by far. But the application of what's possible on a court? Not even close. Physicality > complete game - that's the cross to bear for todays era. That's why I can watch really good "teams" these days, or iso on players on average or poor teams, but, no, it's not as good. It's a chore a lot of the time.

Too bad. The NFL and MLB are better today then before. But not the NBA.

black1605
04-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Players leaving for the NBA before they're ready has hurt the pro and college game more than anything in my opinion.

bagwell368
04-16-2012, 10:41 PM
I blame AAU

As a former AAU coach - not so much. You have 12 kids with parents paying good money. I'm not talking bottom feeder AAU teams. I'm talking tryout teams, the kids are good/very good.

You have to make them better - part of that is the competition, part of that is individual skills work, but most of it IMO is the teamwork - different D's (zones, Man-U-ball, man, doubles, traps, presses), different O's (vs zones and man, up tempo, hold for shot, etc.), 8 or 10 out of bounds and side line plays.

I like what AAU does for hoops players. I don't like what AAU does for baseball pitchers however.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Since when was that called the 'Jordan effect'?

alew510
04-16-2012, 10:44 PM
I would def say Jordan really started the tend of teams using more iso but I mean I really don't see the problem if your team is built for it

Jordan = 6 rings
Kobe = 5 rings currently

Can't argue that it didn't work for them

Lakeshow24KB
04-16-2012, 11:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-EyRUgp9Mk

:jizz: