PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Gets To Host the 2014 NBA All-Star Game

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-16-2012, 11:50 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7819210/report-new-orleans-hornets-get-2014-all-star-game

The person spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press on Monday because an announcement by NBA Commissioner David Stern was scheduled for the afternoon.

Stern had already pledged that New Orleans would get an All-Star game once a new owner and lease extension were in place, and because of potential conflicts with Mardi Gras, awarding the game in 2014 made the most sense, the person who spoke to the AP said.

The 2013 game will be played in Houston, and Mardi Gras falls on March 4 in 2014, well after the usual mid-February date for NBA All-Star weekend. Mardi Gras falls in mid-February in 2015 and 2016, so if the NBA had given the 2014 event to New York, as some predicted, it would not make sense to hold the game in New Orleans again until 2017. By then, Benson would be 89 years old.

Stern was in New Orleans on Monday to introduce the New Orleans Saints owner as the new Hornets owner. The two announced an agreement Friday for Benson to take over the Hornets, who have often been on shaky ground since arriving in the Big Easy in 2002.

The Hornets spent two seasons in Oklahoma City after Hurricane Katrina and often struggled at the gate. They were routinely mentioned as a team of interest by other cities looking to lure an NBA franchise through relocation.

When Hornets founder George Shinn decided he was racking up too much debt and decided to sell, he struggled to find a buyer who would pay what he wanted and still keep the club in New Orleans. The NBA then took the unprecedented step of buying the club in December 2010.

Since then, the NBA has spent about 14 months working to increase the value of the franchise and prepare it for sale to a local owner. The league found such a buyer in Benson, who agreed to a purchase price of about $338 million.

Benson also agreed to sign a lease, worked out previously between the state of Louisiana and the NBA, which locks the Hornets into the New Orleans Arena through 2024.

Once Benson receives widely anticipated approval by the NBA's board of governors, he will have control of a sports, media and real estate empire in New Orleans. He'll be the primary lease holder of both the Superdome and neighboring arena. He owns an office tower adjacent to the Superdome, along with an outdoor concert and exhibition plaza on the property called Champions Square. He also owns the local Fox television network affiliate.

It's just mind boggling. LA got to host it in 2004 and 2011. Houston got to host it in 2006 and now get it next yr in 2013. NOLA got to host it in 2008 and now get it 6 yrs later in 2014.

What about cities like Miami, Chicago and New York? I don't remember the last time Miami had it, I think Chicago had it something like in the 80s, and NY had in '98.

I think the reasons for New York not getting in 2014 was nonsensical.

BALLER R
04-16-2012, 11:55 AM
next up their going to get the #1 pick. Then that's a perfect story line complete.

NoahH
04-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Stern is spoonfeeding them. Why didn't he do this to the Vancouver Grizzlies

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Didn't they just host it a few years ago? Boston hasn't had one in forever.

Byronicle
04-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Didn't they just host it a few years ago? Boston hasn't had one in forever.

Canada has never had one. Ever

Byronicle
04-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Now I am convinced that New Orleans will "win" the lottery this year. New owner, allstar game...come on now

ManningToTyree
04-16-2012, 12:13 PM
The lack of variety for this game stinks. Seems like they rotate about 5 cities.

gatkins11
04-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Watch the Hornets get two of the top four picks like the Cavs did last year.

NoahH
04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
The lack of variety for this game stinks. Seems like they rotate about 5 cities.

ditto

i guess because they want the ASG occurring in party cities

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-16-2012, 12:23 PM
This is the NBA-All-star the last 15 yrs or so.

1996 San Antonio, TX
1997 Cleveland, OH
1998 New York, NY
1999 LOCKOUT
2000 Oakland, CA
2001 Washington DC
2002 Philadelphia, PA
2003 Atlanta, GA
2004 Los Angeles, CA
2005 Denver, CO
2006 Houston, TX
2007 Las Vegas, NV
2008 New Orleans, LA
2009 Phoenix, AZ
2010 Dallas, TX
2011 Los Angeles, CA
2012 Orlando, FL
2013 Houston, TX
2014 New Orleans, LA

todu82
04-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Yeah wish they where like the NHL and MLB and allow the game be played in more cities.

Stinkyoutsider
04-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Wow, looks like Mr. Benson is the new ruler of the dirty south lol! He's the Don...

I wish Stern would be fair with these selections. NBA fans are all over the country. Stern acts like we don't want to go see the game or something? No reason for them not to have considered Chicago...

jayjay33
04-16-2012, 03:35 PM
:dance::dance::dance: Can't wait gonna go home for that for sure!

It looks like the NBA wants cities with a combo of warm weather in Feb and night life/party seen. Can't say I blame them I hate to cold..........

dannyh1469
04-16-2012, 04:07 PM
I could only imagine how the conversation between benson and sternwent it probably went like stern got off his knees and benson was like fine I'll buy your team but I want an all star game and well I also want the kid with the unibrow

JasonJohnHorn
04-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Being somebody from Windsor/Detroit area, I'd really like to see Detroit or Toronto host the All-Star game. I mean, Toronto is the third largest market in the league, they should get a ASG once in a while.

Seriously though, I think we all know what happened. Benson asked Stern to give the show to his city to sweeten the deal a little. If the NBA wasn't so desperate to sell the NOH, they likely would have had the 2014 ASG in another city.

Seriously though, when is the ASG coming to Canada!?!?!?!?!?!?!

JasonJohnHorn
04-16-2012, 06:04 PM

This.

The attention Stern has given to this team and city is disgusting. He didn't work this hard to keep the Sonics in Seattle, or the Girz in Vancouver, what's his deal with New Orleans?

I don't get it. It just seems weird.

da ThRONe
04-16-2012, 07:06 PM
This.

The attention Stern has given to this team and city is disgusting. He didn't work this hard to keep the Sonics in Seattle, or the Girz in Vancouver, what's his deal with New Orleans?

I don't get it. It just seems weird.

I think the bad pub he received from the Seattle situation really feed his passion for keeping the franchise in New Orleans.

As far as the ASW New Orleans is perfect for things like Final Fours/Superbowls/ASW/Bowl Games. Any place you'll need/want to go is all within walking distance, and the weather is good compared to most big cities.

asandhu23
04-16-2012, 07:10 PM
maybe the last ASG in New Orleans?

JeffG20
04-16-2012, 07:34 PM
maybe the last ASG in New Orleans?

doubt it.... just got a brand new lease through 2024

MVP1
04-17-2012, 08:23 AM
It might be a warm city but you couldn't pay me to live there. Toronto is one of the best cities in the world. It might be cold, but we have a clean city and a low crime rate.

Lakers + Giants
04-17-2012, 08:55 AM
This was probably part of the deal when the hornets were sold

nolafan33
04-17-2012, 11:04 AM
It was.

Rocketsfan85
04-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Everybody get ready to get there valuables stolen or leave them at home lol

Shmontaine
04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
not sure about all cities, but in chicago, JR said he doesn't want the ASG ever again.. and he doesn't 'need' it for the revenue it may bring..

http://www.chicagonow.com/as-i-see-it/2012/02/jerry-reinsdorf-opposed-to-a-chicago-nba-all-star-game-are-you-crazy/

"They'd have to force me to take the All-Star Game," Jerry Reinsdorf said. "They take over the building, your season-ticket holders have to be in a lottery to see if they get tickets and then they don't get a good ticket. Really, no good can come out of it and all it can do is upset your fans."

maybe other arenas have a similar stance... IDK...

LakersIn5
04-17-2012, 11:44 AM
why new orleans? i dont mind repeating the hosts but WHY NEW ORLEANS?

justinnum1
04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
probably part of the deal to get them sold

rhino17
04-17-2012, 11:53 AM
It's just mind boggling. LA got to host it in 2004 and 2011. Houston got to host it in 2006 and now get it next yr in 2013. NOLA got to host it in 2008 and now get it 6 yrs later in 2014.

LA gets them because they know tons of stars will come out for the event. New Orleans is a huge party town and they know it will be a big deal. Houston gets them because a TON of NBA player live there and they know they will attend if it is there. I would be surprised if Miami and/or Vegas aren't added to the rotation like these cities soon.

Wade>You
04-17-2012, 12:30 PM
@NBAisRigged

This year, ORL had the ASG game because @NBA had to rig it in order to secure a new arena for ORL. #NBAisRIGGED

Next year, the @NBA rigged it so the ASG would be in NO so someone would buy the Hornets. #NBAisRIGGED

Hey, @NBA: how about an apology to the fans that got screwed over in other cities? These fans have been w8ing for an ASG 4ever #NBAisRIGGED.

nolafan33
04-17-2012, 12:40 PM
why new orleans? i dont mind repeating the hosts but WHY NEW ORLEANS?

Because it's one of the best sports host cities in the country? :facepalm:

beasted86
04-17-2012, 12:48 PM

THIS!!!!!

Stern is so disgusting and annoying. What about Toronto that never got an all-star game? Maybe if Sacramento had even 1 single all-star game in the near 30 years they've been in the city, they wouldn't be in financial distress and contemplating moving. What about Indiana that hasn't had one since 1985 and is a struggling franchise financially?

Totally biased commissioner that needs to step down already.

Shmontaine
04-17-2012, 12:56 PM
@NBAisRigged

how is this proof of the nba being rigged... i could care less where the ASG is held each year... and if that will help get new arena's built, all the better for the league...

beasted86
04-17-2012, 12:59 PM
how is this proof of the nba being rigged... i could care less where the ASG is held each year... and if that will help get new arena's built, all the better for the league...

Then why have the Kings been an NBA franchise for 64 years, and been in Sacramento specifically for 29 years... are struggling and in need of an arena and they haven't been granted host of an all-star game?

Stern is definitely an underhanded commissioner with agendas not tailored for the betterment of the league.

da ThRONe
04-17-2012, 01:06 PM
It might be a warm city but you couldn't pay me to live there. Toronto is one of the best cities in the world. It might be cold, but we have a clean city and a low crime rate.

New Orleans is a much more desired vacation destination than Toronto. So keep your money we wouldn't want you here.

da ThRONe
04-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Lol @ something that's selected being rigged. That's like saying the Colts getting the number 1 pick this year is rigged. I have some serious questions about the NBA's ethics this isn't one of them.

smith&wesson
04-17-2012, 01:35 PM
when are my raps gonna get it = (

Shmontaine
04-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Then why have the Kings been an NBA franchise for 64 years, and been in Sacramento specifically for 29 years... are struggling and in need of an arena and they haven't been granted host of an all-star game?

Stern is definitely an underhanded commissioner with agendas not tailored for the betterment of the league.

no, it's not 'have the ASG in a crappy arena and then maybe you might get new arena approval'... sorry if you misunderstood... Orlando already had a new arena...

the arena deal in Sac fell through, not even sure if they will be there in 2014, why the hell would nba put the ASG in a 30 year old arena for a team that might not even be there by the time of the game???

wouldn't you rather have one or three all-star games in NO over the next 15 years as opposed to the league owning the team??? if that helped get the deal done for the sale of the team, i'm all for it...

justinnum1
04-17-2012, 01:41 PM

That guy has a NBA conspiracy agenda

Wade>You
04-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Lol @ something that's selected being rigged. That's like saying the Colts getting the number 1 pick this year is rigged. I have some serious questions about the NBA's ethics this isn't one of them.

Just to be clear: it's ok when Stern tampers when it is somewhat acceptable to do so.

You can call it whatever you want, but just because one piece of **** smells better than the other, it doesn't change the fact that it's still a piece of ****. And the fact that he's not afraid to be so open about his agenda when there will be little-or-no public backlash definitely lends credence to the fact that he would be tampering with the integrity of the league when it would be wrong in the eyes of the public to do so.

How the NFL draft works for da ThRONe's understanding

The basic design of the draft is that each team is given a position in the drafting order in reverse order relative its record in the previous year—the last place gets positioned first.I hope I don't have to explain to you how this differs from the NBA draft lottery system.

Regardless: what does the NFL and the NFL draft have to do with the discussion? Great red herring technique, dA ThRONe. You may have fooled some, but you didn't fool everyone.

BTW, just so everyone knows: you're a New Orleans Hornets. Just making it clear because you took off your avatar. That would've been a dead giveaway as to why you would be biased. Surely, your response has nothing to do with the fact that you're team is the one benefiting from this. Kinda like how your team benefited from the Chris Paul trade when your GM was gonna ship him to the Lakers before Stern stepped in and tampered.

Wade>You
04-17-2012, 01:46 PM
how is this proof of the nba being rigged... i could care less where the ASG is held each year... and if that will help get new arena's built, all the better for the league...Ahh, the way of liberals; "The ends justify the means." Isn't that how the Bulls landed Derrick Rose over 13 other teams in the lottery that had a better chance to win the #1 pick? Because the NBA needed to revive that dying franchise in Chicago that their owner and GM had been screwing up for nearly a decade since they lost Jordan?And despite the fact that they still suck, the NBA rigs it so they can play a style of defense that would have every other team foul out by half time. Because the ends justify the means, and in this case, the ends are the millions of dollars that bandwagon Chicago Bulls fans around the world from the MJ era pour into jerseys and merchandise.

Just look at every Chicago Bulls player that got traded that was playing during the Hinrich-Gordon-Deng era.

Do we ever hear about them anymore? No, because they suck and they were propped up. Deng is the only one on that team that still remains, and he is the only one that is still considered good. Would love to see how good he is when he's not playing in Chicago any more.

smith&wesson
04-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Just to be clear: it's ok when Stern tampers when it is somewhat acceptable to do so.

You can call it whatever you want, but just because one piece of **** smells better than the other, it doesn't change the fact that it's still a piece of ****. And the fact that he's not afraid to be so open about his agenda when there will be little-or-no public backlash definitely lends credence to the fact that he would be tampering with the integrity of the league when it would be wrong in the eyes of the public to do so.

I hope I don't have to explain to you how this differs from the NBA draft lottery system.

Regardless: what does the NFL and the NFL draft have to do with the discussion? Great red herring technique, dA ThRONe. You may have fooled some, but you didn't fool everyone.

BTW, just so everyone knows: you're a New Orleans Hornets. Just making it clear because you took off your avatar. That would've been a dead giveaway as to why you would be biased. Surely, your response has nothing to do with the fact that you're team is the one benefiting from this. Kinda like how your team benefited from the Chris Paul trade when your GM was gonna ship him to the Lakers before Stern stepped in and tampered.

If you are insinuating that the lottery is fixed maybe you should read this. its a good read. http://scienceblogs.com/evolgen/2008/05/the_probability_of_winning_the.php

BlondeBomber41
04-17-2012, 01:47 PM
What you guys don't understand is cities ASK to hold the All Star Game. If your city doesn't ask and let it be known they are interested, they don't get it.

Alot of cities don't want the hassle. I know for a fact Chicago doesn't want it, they have said so publicly. Mark Cuban refused to hold it for years and finally gave in because they were able to hold it at the Cowboys Stadium and not the American Airlines Center.

The main reason Chicago and Dallas don't want it in their arenas is because the NBA takes full control over the ticket sales and doesn't take season ticket holders into account. It does seem to be alot of hassle for really no gain for the host city.

Shmontaine
04-17-2012, 02:45 PM
.... wut? i didn't know the ASG was a right to all teams in the nba... please find the doctrine that states this.

Ahh, the way of liberals; "The ends justify the means." Isn't that how the Bulls landed Derrick Rose over 13 other teams in the lottery that had a better chance to win the #1 pick? Because the NBA needed to revive that dying franchise in Chicago that their owner and GM had been screwing up for nearly a decade since they lost Jordan?

bulls never needed reviving, financially... they've had the best attendance in the league over the last 15 years, since jordan... the bulls have been one of the top earners in the league over the last 15 years, even when the team sucked...

And despite the fact that they still suck, the NBA rigs it so they can play a style of defense that would have every other team foul out by half time. Because the ends justify the means, and in this case, the ends are the millions of dollars that bandwagon Chicago Bulls fans around the world from the MJ era pour into jerseys and merchandise.

team with the best record still sucks, and is just made to have the best record in the last two years because the nba is rigged... good one.. nothing to do with a new head coach (assistant coach of the best defensive team in prior years) and new defensive philosophy.. of course not..

what's preventing any team from playing the same style of defense as the bulls??...

it's amazing to think that the teams with strong front-courts also have good defense and low fouls per game... i would've never thought... the 4 teams with the lowest PF per game (LAL, CHI, ORL, SAS)...

Just look at every Chicago Bulls player that got traded that was playing during the Hinrich-Gordon-Deng era.

Do we ever hear about them anymore? No, because they suck and they were propped up. Deng is the only one on that team that still remains, and he is the only one that is still considered good. Would love to see how good he is when he's not playing in Chicago any more.

right, and that team made it to the ECF once, in 5 years. and was an average ball club in a below average conference... god forbid they get any fanfare....

you are a hater who is pissed the bulls got the #1 pick after the heat tanked to try to get drose, and beasley became a bust...

jayjay33
04-17-2012, 03:24 PM

Really dude? New Orleans is a great city......rich with culture and wonderful people. It's one of the best host city's in the world. Which is why they get so many events and people keep going back. I'm sure the NBA doesn't pass over Toronto because they think it will be just to awesome their. When it comes to the business of tourism NOBODY is better than new orleans at it.

Further more the city is not dirty and is very safe for regular people. You don't know what the hell your talking about. If you got a problem, take it up with the people who do won't to go to toronto not the place they wanna go. Don't hate the player, hate the game!

jayjay33
04-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Double post

jayjay33
04-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Everybody get ready to get there valuables stolen or leave them at home lol

Yeah that's why new Orleans is considered one of the besy host city's in the world. Pound for pound they get more events than anyone. People love going their and continue to go back over and over again caused they like getting robbed. :rolleyes:

Raps08-09 Champ
04-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Guarantee they go to Miami next.

da ThRONe
04-17-2012, 04:29 PM

I hope I don't have to explain to you how this differs from the NBA draft lottery system.

The point is the NBA is open about their selection for ASW. How can a process that's open(like the draft selection order in the NFL) be rigged? If you want to accuse them of tampering with the lotto balls that's one thing, but they never said they select NBA cities/arena based on fairness or that every city would get an equal opportunity to host one. If you don't like the process fine. However saying it's rigged is not correct.

As far as my old avatar it was Megamind clearly nothing New Orleans related. It was my sig that was pro Nola, and if you look it's the Saints winning Superbowl play. So it's still pro Nola.

nolafan33
04-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Since when is giving a city that's about to get a newly updated Arena and team tampering? That's idiotic. Especially when it's common knowledge the NBA wanted to return to NOLA for another all star game but couldn't because we didn't have an owner until now. It's nothing new, it's been known for a long time that when the Hornets get a owner they would also get a all star game.