PDA

View Full Version : Kings unlikely to offer Evans a max extension..will he get it somewhere else?

spreadeagle
04-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Guy was rookie of the year not long ago but I dont see anywhere close to a max deal for him coming soon

Two years ago, there seemed to be no question that Tyreke Evans would be the centerpiece of the Kings' rebuilding effort.

Evans was on his way to winning Rookie of the Year and was the focus of a marketing campaign touting that he was one of just four rookies to average at least 20 points, five rebounds and five assists in NBA history.

As the point guard, Evans had been handed control of the Kings. And the higher-priced and more-seasoned Kevin Martin had been traded, making Evans "the man" as a rookie.

Are the Kings still Evans' team?

"I don't know," Evans said. "I'm still trying to find my way from playing the 'one' (point guard) to the 'three' (small forward), so it's an adjustment."

As his third year nears an end, the 6-foot-6 Evans is still trying to figure out how he fits with the Kings, who have finished near or at the bottom of the league standings in recent seasons.

Evans has gone from the "one" in more than one way. Instead of leading the team in scoring, he's the third-leading scorer behind Marcus Thornton and DeMarcus Cousins, averaging a career-low 16.4 points.

Evans has been praised for the changes he's made this season. By moving to small forward, Evans stepped aside to allow rookie Isaiah Thomas to run the team to begin games. He always has had the ball, and now he's learning to lead from a new position.

Evans is eligible for a contract extension during his fourth season, and his worth is uncertain, but it appears unlikely the franchise will give him a maximum contract.

"(Evans has) already proven he's a very good player," Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie said. "Going forward for his game to continue to grow, he's got to continue to work on areas of his game that need improvement."

If the Kings don't sign Evans to a long-term deal, his unique combination of size, athleticism and ability to defend and play multiple positions might entice a team to part with a veteran player for him.

Petrie declined to discuss the Kings' plans for Evans, saying a decision won't be made until after the season, when he meets with coach Keith Smart and all player evaluations are done.

"Before going public (with talks), you should have the private ones first," Petrie said.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/15/4414871/evans-wonders-if-he-is-still-the.html#mi_rss=Kings/NBA#storylink=cpy

GunFactor187
04-15-2012, 09:58 PM
This isn't gonna happen but I wonder how he'll mesh with Derrick Rose and the Bulls?

zB_#85
04-15-2012, 09:58 PM
I don't watch many Kings games but why is he adjusting from "1" to "3" when he should be a 2 size wise. Is he that bad at SG?

Cal827
04-15-2012, 09:59 PM
1. He a shooting Guard. I'm sorry, but Sacramento management has to learn this and look for a PG who can score fairly well. He's a Joe Johnson type... would work extremely well with Derek Rose. Thorton isn't helping him. Hopefully, he doesn't get frustrated with their undecidedness and bolt the second he can.

2. I don't think he'll get a max deal, but some team is going to spend upwards of 10 mill per year.

Gators123
04-15-2012, 10:00 PM
I don't watch many Kings games but why is he adjusting from "1" to "3" when he should be a 2 size wise. Is he that bad at SG?

No, hes perfectly fine at SG if you want your SG to shoot 27% from 3-9 feet, 24% from 10-15 feet, and 27% from 16-23 feet.

NYKnickFanatic
04-15-2012, 10:03 PM
No, hes perfectly fine at SG if you want your SG to shoot 27% from 3-9 feet, 24% from 10-15 feet, and 27% from 16-23 feet.

:laugh2:

Raph12
04-15-2012, 10:05 PM
He'd be a nice fit playing on the Magic... We need a slasher/playmaker and he'd have the 3pt shooters and Dwight when they trap him.

Trueblue2
04-15-2012, 10:05 PM
What if charlotte makes an offer he can't refuse the draft barnes and Davis?

Kemba
Tyreke
Barnes
Davis
Bismack

As much as I think that franchise is a joke, if they can pull this off they could have a very bright future.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 10:06 PM
he is such a terrible shooter, it will limit his potential. He was awesome as a rookie, but has regressed, and is not showing flashes of being a franchise player.

Cal827
04-15-2012, 10:10 PM

Kemba
Tyreke
Barnes
Davis
Bismack

As much as I think that franchise is a joke, if they can pull this off they could have a very bright future.

:drool:

PleaseBeNice
04-15-2012, 10:12 PM
No way in hell does he deserve a max

ManRam
04-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Will he get a max offer? I wouldn't be surprised either way. A desperate team shunned by other big time free agents might have to splurge to improve their team...but even so, I doubt he gets full max money. I don't know. I wouldn't offer him that, but again, some teams feel the need to have to overspend just to lure guys to their teams...and I don't doubt that some executives still believe he can be a very good/all-star caliber player.

He doesn't deserve max money, but "deserve" and "getting" don't often line up in the NBA.

justinnum1
04-15-2012, 10:19 PM
He needs to watch video of rondo

UPRock
04-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Changing his position so often is hurting him, he's a SG, that's it. He can be a good fit for a Phoenix Suns team and even for Orlando.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Trust me, if he were to accept a 3 year, $24 million deal from the Wolves, I would be down. But he is not worth franchise altering money.

Cfrey
04-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Trust me, if he were to accept a 3 year, $24 million deal from the Wolves, I would be down. But he is not worth franchise altering money.

this

BallIsAll
04-15-2012, 10:52 PM
He's a scrub

2-ONE-5
04-15-2012, 11:02 PM
doesnt deserve a max deal and i dont think he gets it. when u decline for 2 years (injuries or not) you dont get a max deal

mightymouse407
04-15-2012, 11:33 PM
He'd be a nice fit playing on the Magic... We need a slasher/playmaker and he'd have the 3pt shooters and Dwight when they trap him.

id love that but we both know Otis Smith is to dumb to pull off a move like this. If i was the kings id resign him dont know about a max deal but resign and try to trade him for a veteran SF maybe paul pierce,gerald wallace, maybe Iggy would prolly have to be a 3team trade seeing as 76ers are overloaded with guards. but the kings are young they need a veteran at atleast 1 position

sunsfan88
04-16-2012, 12:21 AM
He's like Evan Turner. Very athletic, good size, can score in transition but is just a horrible horrible shooter.

DragonJaii
04-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Nets going to jump on this

DerekRE_3
04-16-2012, 12:34 AM
I really thought he'd show improvement in his shooting by now. Makes me think lack of work ethic. Or confidence. Or both. Probably both.

At least we have Boogie, but the Maloofs have no money and won't be able to keep anyone on this team anyways so **** it.

kjoke
04-16-2012, 12:36 AM
He really fell down after being injured last year. His rookie season looked promising.

boogie-reke
04-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Not worth and won't get a max deal.

Even if he's one of, if not THE best player in the league @ getting and finishing at the rim (I personally think he's THE best at that considering everyone knows he has absolutely no jumper whatsoever shooting in the mid 20s or worst from any range - yet he still gets to the rim 7.1 times per game (3rd in the league - even moreso then Dwight Howard) - and finishes there in a 64% clip - 3rd in the league for Guards\SFs who attempt 5 or more per game only behind Lebron James(6.6 attempts - 75.3%) and Dwyane Wade(6.8 attempts 65.8%).

Now - if this kid gets an even respectable jumper? he's absolutely worth that type of money, and he's pretty automatically a perennial All-Star right then and there.

But he seems to only get worst in his shooting ever since he got into the league from just about every area on the floor - so i'm not really that optimistic that will happen, surely not over the summer.

DerekRE_3
04-16-2012, 12:39 AM
The one thing Reke does have going for him is his ability to penetrate. About half of his shots are at the rim, which is insane. If he had a jumper defenders had to respect he'd be unreal.

b@llhog24
04-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Jalen Rose says no. :no:

He's a scrub

But he seriously needs to get out of that system/city. He's not being utilized properly.

boogie-reke
04-16-2012, 12:47 AM
He's a scrub

You're a troll.

Hey, this is a pretty fun game!

black1605
04-16-2012, 01:07 AM

Kemba
Tyreke
Barnes
Davis
Bismack

I don't think the Bobcats would be able to pull off a trade to land another top five pick, but that would be awesome. But to stay on topic, Evans is a huge disappointment. I would have bet the kid would be a top 25 player in the league by now.

shep33
04-16-2012, 01:43 AM
Welcome to the Raptors!

Jk.

But he's not worth a max or anything close to a max

TrueFan420
04-16-2012, 02:42 AM
Not worth the max but will prob get ten or eleven mill a year

IndyRealist
04-16-2012, 08:42 AM
He's like Evan Turner. Very athletic, good size, can score in transition but is just a horrible horrible shooter.

This. No one bothers learning fundamentals anymore. Guy needs a shot doctor badly.

And his rookie season was a marketing ploy. They force fed him the ball to get 20/5/5.

D12 fan
04-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Orlando should trade for him on draft night,he would be perfect next to D12 and the 3pt shooters.

Anderson,Redick,1rd for Evans,Salmons

Ill21
04-16-2012, 09:38 AM
I see him going to Orlando or new jersey

kurivaimu
04-16-2012, 09:50 AM

Sounds fair to me.

Lindystud36
04-16-2012, 09:50 AM
New Jersey
Sign Him as a Free Agent
Then Jersey will trade Brook and Marshon to kings for DC

Mr_Amaziing
04-16-2012, 10:08 AM

Kemba
Tyreke
Barnes
Davis
Bismack

That team would be Legiit !!!

BKLYNpigeon
04-16-2012, 10:25 AM
iif tyreke can take the Kings to the playoffs, then they can start talking Max numbers.

KnicksR4Real
04-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Will he get a max offer? I wouldn't be surprised either way. A desperate team shunned by other big time free agents might have to splurge to improve their team...but even so, I doubt he gets full max money. I don't know. I wouldn't offer him that, but again, some teams feel the need to have to overspend just to lure guys to their teams...and I don't doubt that some executives still believe he can be a very good/all-star caliber player.

He doesn't deserve max money, but "deserve" and "getting" don't often line up in the NBA.

Hes off to Brooklyn after they lose Deron. Mark my words.

kingsdelez24
04-16-2012, 01:41 PM
New Jersey
Sign Him as a Free Agent
Then Jersey will trade Brook and Marshon to kings for DC

Keep dreaming... boogie is worth a lot more than marshon brooks

Hawkeye15
04-16-2012, 01:49 PM
The one thing Reke does have going for him is his ability to penetrate. About half of his shots are at the rim, which is insane. If he had a jumper defenders had to respect he'd be unreal.

The first time I noticed the monster dropoff in defense after Rubio left is when you guys killed us the second time around, due to Reke penetrating at will. Rubio shut his *** down the first time we played you, keeping him out of the lane. Watching Johnson and Webster guard him is funny. He just crosses over, and blows straight by them.

GrkGawdofWalkz
04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
I think he's a more offensive version of Iguodala. Not saying that he's as defensively gifted. But they play similar games IMO.

sep11ie
04-16-2012, 02:19 PM
I hope the Rockets don't get shut out in FA/trade market and try to blow their Rocket load all over him...

Hawkeye15
04-16-2012, 02:32 PM
I hope the Rockets don't get shut out in FA/trade market and try to blow their Rocket load all over him...

I hope so too, so my Wolves can snatch Courtney Lee away from you :)

valade16
04-16-2012, 02:42 PM
The first time I noticed the monster dropoff in defense after Rubio left is when you guys killed us the second time around, due to Reke penetrating at will. Rubio shut his *** down the first time we played you, keeping him out of the lane. Watching Johnson and Webster guard him is funny. He just crosses over, and blows straight by them.

It's funny because when he was with Portland everyone thought he was a great defender. Turns out it was only because Portland had a bunch of good defenders that when all on the floor together made all of them look better than they actually were.

sep11ie
04-16-2012, 04:32 PM
I hope so too, so my Wolves can snatch Courtney Lee away from you :)

Wow, Lee would be almost a perfect fit on your team. I REALLY hope that doesn't happen.

Knicks21
04-16-2012, 04:49 PM
he is such a terrible shooter, it will limit his potential. He was awesome as a rookie, but has regressed, and is not showing flashes of being a franchise player.

Shooting is arguably the easiest skill to develop in this league, many players from the draft come in without a consistent jump shot and are able to fix that over time.

Mr. Baller
04-16-2012, 04:53 PM
:laugh: This man isn't worth 7 million let a lone a god damn max

DerekRE_3
04-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Shooting is arguably the easiest skill to develop in this league, many players from the draft come in without a consistent jump shot and are able to fix that over time.

Well he's had 3 years...and he's gotten worse as a shooter.

kingsdelez24
04-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Trade him for paul george and a 1st round pick... and then use ours to draft gilcrest and bring thornton off the bench

Baller1
04-16-2012, 06:53 PM
If a team gives him a max contract, they might as well give up on any hope of ever winning anything.

Lindystud36
04-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Warning; Below is Fantasy Basketball ----- DO Not Read If it will Frustrate you
__________________________________________________ _____________

Tyreke will sign as a Free Agent with the Nets
The Nets will Sign and Trade DWill and their (Houston's) first round pick to the Celtics for Rondo --- Alowing the Celts to Draft Rivers whom his father obv wants

Next they will Sign and Trade Brook Lopez, Marshon Brooks, Damion James, Next Years First for DMC

They will get extremely Lucky In the Lottery and get the second Pick, allowing them to draft MKG

Rondo, DMC, Tyreke, MKG will be 4/5 of a Kentucky Team thus Coach Cal will return to Jersey and not retire as Kentucky's coach because he will be coaching all of his former players.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Back to reality:

Tyreke is worth a contract much like Michael Conley received from Memphis
5 Years, 45 Mill

Corey
04-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Someone will overpay for him.

DerekRE_3
04-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Someone will overpay for him.

Good news is the Maloofs have no money, so it won't be the Kings.
The bad news is the Maloofs have no money, so the Kings won't sign anyone.

**** my team. :sigh:

SeoulBeatz
04-16-2012, 08:02 PM
9 million per is as high as i'd go.

he can't shoot, doesn't make his teammates better, but he's a pretty nasty iso player with great handles.

SeoulBeatz
04-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Good news is the Maloofs have no money, so it won't be the Kings.
The bad news is the Maloofs have no money, so the Kings won't sign anyone.

**** my team. :sigh:

great sig pic lmao

what a team that was, best ball movement i've ever seen, not even close.