PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the next McGrady/Carter/Iverson?

NYSpirit1
04-15-2012, 05:25 PM
When I say the next McGrady/Carter/Iverson, I mean guys that were elite and have had a really fast fall from grace.

Carter, Iverson and McGrady - as well as a lesser extent Gilbert Arenas, were all elite players for a long time. And within a mere matter of 2-3 years, those 4 have went from thought of as top 10-15 players (McGrady/Iverson/Carter top 5-10 for sure at one point), to role players.

Arenas is riding the bench in Memphis, Carter is a complete shell of what he once was and McGrady is just an ordinary role player as well. Iverson's completely out of the league, which is kind of shocking.

It's kind of unbelievable to think about it considering how big of superstars Carter, Iverson and McGrady were that they are this worthless and meaningless now. Just as recent as the 2007-08 season, all of them averaging over 21 and Iverson was third in the NBA in scoring. And we're talking face of the league popular for these guys.

These guys didn't just get old with diminished skills like a Kidd, Garnett, Duncan or even Shaq, they just fell off the face of the earth. I mean really, four years ago did you expect McGrady to be getting 5.1 PPG, Carter 9.6 PPG, Arenas 5.4 PPG and Iverson nothing? Really shocking.

What superstar today do you think will be there in the next 5 years?

I thought of the topic by watching the games today. Carter looks ordinary out there.

Wade, LeBron, Melo, Bosh, Amare, Chris Paul - all of them are at a point in their careers where they need to do something special to define themselves. Are they going to be at an elite level when they are 33-34 like a Kobe/Dirk or will they be completely diminished like McGrady is at 31?

Because when you think about it -- McGrady, Carter, Iverson were the Wade, Melo and LeBron of 5-7 years ago. And to think if Wade, Melo and LeBron don't win any titles, that they would be as irrelevant as T-Mac, Vince and AI are now, is just a weird thought.

And really, if Iverson, T-Mac and Vince formed a "Big Three" in a year like 04-05, they would have been every bit as big and hyped as the Heat are today.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 05:29 PM
great question. Hmm, I have to think about this one. Rondo comes up in my mind, only because when his athletic skills diminish, what is he going to do?

Method28
04-15-2012, 05:29 PM
I think LeBron and Paul will be fine because they can contribute in many different aspects on the court. Bosh is known to have a killer work ethic so I think he'll be fine too.

Idk its kinda hard to think of someone who is truly elite right now that could fall off. I could see a Monta Ellis type player doing so though.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 05:30 PM
I think LeBron and Paul will be fine because they can contribute in many different aspects on the court. Bosh is known to have a killer work ethic so I think he'll be fine too.

Idk its kinda hard to think of someone who is truly elite right now that could fall off. I could see a Monta Ellis type player doing so though.

Monta came to mind, but he is not a upper echelon star, so I didn't list him.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 05:32 PM
btw, listing McGrady is weird to me. Injuries stole his career. Iverson and Arenas were poor shooting chuckers who relied on athletic ability. Arena's injuries aside, he wasn't going to hold onto that player he was the couple of years he was chucking his way to 25 a night.

Hustlenomics
04-15-2012, 05:33 PM
there will never be another Iverson or T-mac

KnIckFaN.2883
04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
i would say monta ellis, nick young, and brendon jennings.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
wade

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
I feel like Stat has the best shot at "being the next McGrady/AI". But I don't think it'd be as bad as they nose dived though out of super stardom.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 05:39 PM
things to consider, IF a player stays healthy.

If they are tall, and can shoot, their decline will not be swift in general.

AceMan
04-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Amare is the obvious answer because of his knees. He may be flat out useless in a few years. If we're only talking about super top tier guys I think I'd have to say Wade is a candidate. He's not a great shooter so once his athleticism fades he'll have a much harder time scoring, and his injury history isn't exactly encouraging. CP3 is an injury risk as well, but he can dominate a game without going in the paint if he wants to, so I think it's a smaller risk. LeBron is going to age well, I think as he gets older he'll slide into more of a point guard role and average something like 18-11-7 rather than 27-6-8. Dwight is going to fall off a cliff offensively because of his lack of post moves, but he'll always be valuable on defense.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Amare is the obvious answer because of his knees. He may be flat out useless in a few years. If we're only talking about super top tier guys I think I'd have to say Wade is a candidate. He's not a great shooter so once his athleticism fades he'll have a much harder time scoring, and his injury history isn't exactly encouraging. CP3 is an injury risk as well, but he can dominate a game without going in the paint if he wants to, so I think it's a smaller risk. LeBron is going to age well, I think as he gets older he'll slide into more of a point guard role and average something like 18-11-7 rather than 27-6-8. Dwight is going to fall off a cliff offensively because of his lack of post moves, but he'll always be valuable on defense.

Amare is the easy answer, yes. His knees will be **** in 2 years, and he will be a bloated contract.

Good post actually. Dwight is another, though its a few years down the line.

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 05:46 PM
stat and joe johnson are relevant. those other guys are too young, and don't have any of the question marks that helped doom all three guys. i doubt any fall off a cliff unless they blow out a knee.

Sadds The Gr8
04-15-2012, 05:48 PM
I think Dwight Howard possibly.

CP3 comes to mind because of his knee, but he's just so smart that I don't think it'll happen to him.

NYSpirit1
04-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Amare is the easy answer, yes. His knees will be **** in 2 years, and he will be a bloated contract.

Good post actually. Dwight is another, though its a few years down the line.

I hope not Amare, that would be horrible - although with what's been going on, I am a hoping it won't be next year or the year after.

JasonJohnHorn
04-15-2012, 06:03 PM
The question should be more like: Who would WANT to be the next underachieving star who falls from their prime in a fashion that makes fans lose respect for them?

TheNumber37
04-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Monta Ellis
Joe Johnson

coryd238
04-15-2012, 06:05 PM
wade

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

And yeah, Dwight and Amare are the easy answers... I hate to say it, but with all of his injuries, D Rose. I'm aware that his injuries aren't exactly serious, but his durability is just questionable. and he has the same type of game as Iverson, really.

Oh, yeah. I can see Joe Johnson too.

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 06:06 PM
The question should be more like: Who would WANT to be the next underachieving star who falls from their prime in a fashion that makes fans lose respect for them?

this. besides tmac this was as much a reason for the other guys' falls as injuries and frankly i think our generation learned their lesson watching their idols fall apart in real time. the decision and melodrama are different sorts of lame, still lame, but not nearly as disappointing or generally immature.

xk4
04-15-2012, 06:11 PM
great question. Hmm, I have to think about this one. Rondo comes up in my mind, only because when his athletic skills diminish, what is he going to do?

Keep getting 15 assists per night?

JWO35
04-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Cool I'm the first to mention Derrick Rose...

Master Mind
04-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Steve Francis

***Hops back in time machine*** :superman:

IndiansFan337
04-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Carter, AI and to a lesser extent McGrady and Arenas relied heavily on athleticism/speed to dominate their opponents.

Once Carter's athleticism, Iverson's speed, McGrady's athleticism and Arenas speed began to decline, their play did the same.

Injuries really sped up the process for McGrady and Arenas. Iverson's ego sped up the process for him. It seems as if carter has accepted being a role player for Dallas at this point in his career. By doing so, he will be able to play 2-4 more years. If Iverson had accepted a similar role he could have been a combo G off the bench for a contender.

Amare is a candidate to have a similar decline at some point (if it hasn't already begun) because he relies heavily on his athleticism and he has struggled when healthy this year. Injuries also seem to pile up on him, even if some of them are flukes (eye) others are not (back, knee).

I don't think we will see Bosh decline similarly, because he is more of a jump shooter. He does not run the pick and roll often and does not rely on his quickness/athleticism to score 1 on 1 vs his defender.

I really think being able to accept a reduced role is important for these players when they decline. The decline for guys like KG, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce is hardly ever discussed because now that they are all on the same team no one expects them to put up super-duper-star stats. I believe a similar situation could happen over the next 5 or so years in Miami.

Injuries really are the main reason for superstar's decline. For instance, no one would have predicted Brandon Roy's seemingly immediate fall from stardom.

smith&wesson
04-15-2012, 06:15 PM
dwight howard. once he loses his athletiticm he wont have any natural tools to rely on.

llemon
04-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Dominic McGuire

Run&Gun
04-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Carter, AI and to a lesser extent McGrady and Arenas relied heavily on athleticism/speed to dominate their opponents.

Once Carter's athleticism, Iverson's speed, McGrady's athleticism and Arenas speed began to decline, their play did the same.

Injuries really sped up the process for McGrady and Arenas. Iverson's ego sped up the process for him. It seems as if carter has accepted being a role player for Dallas at this point in his career. By doing so, he will be able to play 2-4 more years. If Iverson had accepted a similar role he could have been a combo G off the bench for a contender.

Amare is a candidate to have a similar decline at some point (if it hasn't already begun) because he relies heavily on his athleticism and he has struggled when healthy this year. Injuries also seem to pile up on him, even if some of them are flukes (eye) others are not (back, knee).

I don't think we will see Bosh decline similarly, because he is more of a jump shooter. He does not run the pick and roll often and does not rely on his quickness/athleticism to score 1 on 1 vs his defender.

I really think being able to accept a reduced role is important for these players when they decline. The decline for guys like KG, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce is hardly ever discussed because now that they are all on the same team no one expects them to put up super-duper-star stats. I believe a similar situation could happen over the next 5 or so years in Miami.

Injuries really are the main reason for superstar's decline. For instance, no one would have predicted Brandon Roy's seemingly immediate fall from stardom.

I agree Bosh will prob. be ok because he relies more on skill than anything and doesn't really have any big injuries. I don't really agree with KG, Pierce and Allen, I feel they all had a reasonable decline with their age, and are still prob. within the top 15 if not top 10 in their positions still just based on what they contribute to the team.

I think Elton Brand was another one to add to that list, albeit a much shorter all star career than the VC, T-mac and AI. Have to agree with Ama're prob. gonna be a problem in a few years. Monta Ellis but not for at least 3 or 4 years. Joe Johnson doesn't really rely on speed per see more than his size and strength, so I think he'll be ok.

Lake_Show2416
04-15-2012, 06:35 PM
i think it already hit Amare & i can see it happening to Wade

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Keep getting 15 assists per night?

why would you play him 39 mpg if he doesn't have his elite quickness on both sides of the floor? And you need teammates to make shots to get assists. Lets see what he looks like when his shooters and scorers are gone.

Lake_Show2416
04-15-2012, 07:10 PM
why would you play him 39 mpg if he doesn't have his elite quickness on both sides of the floor? And you need teammates to make shots to get assists. Lets see what he looks like when his shooters and scorers are gone.

how would that b his fault if he's still playing like he normally does, y would the play of his teammates effect his value to a team, it'll mayb effect his stats but wont change how great of a NBA player he is

ivylleague1'
04-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Figment of your imagination !!! Allen Iverson has not declined. He asked for a chance to prove himself and no team in the NBA gave him the chance. He is a very good volume shooter and at 42.5% is above the average for all volume shooters (amongst guards), and when the standard deviation is applied he is in the same zone with Kobe. Iverson is the best basketball player in the world when healthy and in top form and is given the opportunity to showcase his game. Look at his video, no player can take on five players (opponents) and still score on them except Iverson.
Allen Iverson was a number one pick and the rookie of the year , NBA MVP and perennial top 10 in scoring, assists, and steals and much more. Just give him the opportunity to play !!!!!!!

coryd238
04-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Figment of your imagination !!! Allen Iverson has not declined. He asked for a chance to prove himself and no team in the NBA gave him the chance. He is a very good volume shooter and at 42.5% is above the average for all volume shooters (amongst guards), and when the standard deviation is applied he is in the same zone with Kobe. Iverson is the best basketball player in the world when healthy and in top form and is given the opportunity to showcase his game. Look at his video, no player can take on five players (opponents) and still score on them except Iverson.
Allen Iverson was a number one pick and the rookie of the year , NBA MVP and perennial top 10 in scoring, assists, and steals and much more. Just give him the opportunity to play !!!!!!!

oh man...

Forever35
04-15-2012, 07:15 PM
D Will ... :box:

Hustlenomics
04-15-2012, 07:15 PM

like tonight where he has 16 points and 11 assists at the half without the future hall of famers?

Mcdoh
04-15-2012, 07:21 PM
s. curry

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 07:23 PM
how would that b his fault if he's still playing like he normally does, y would the play of his teammates effect his value to a team, it'll mayb effect his stats but wont change how great of a NBA player he is

Rondo's true value is only recognized when scoring is totally and completely not needed by him. Hence, why he needs scorers. Furthermore, when he loses his elite athleticism, how will he adapt? He can't score, won't be able to fly all over the floor, and teams won't have to sag on him, taking away his easy passing angles he is allowed now.

I think Rondo ages poorly when his quicks go away.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 07:25 PM
like tonight where he has 16 points and 11 assists at the half without the future hall of famers?

In case you haven't picked it up yet, I ignore your posts. I don't really agree with you on anything, and you have never really formulated something worth engaging in for me personally. You seem to love 2nd tier stars with major faults, something I can't get behind.

The Final Boss
04-15-2012, 07:26 PM

Great question. Hmm...I have to think about this one. James immediately comes to mind, when his athletic skills diminish, what is he going to do?

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Great question. Hmm...I have to think about this one. James immediately comes to mind, when his athletic skills diminish, what is he going to do?

Hit jumpers and post up, like he is doing this year? Become more of a point forward and defender, like he is doing this year?

I love how LeBron critics STILL think the man can't shoot. He is a better midrange, long 2 shooter than many of the very respected shooters in the game. But whatever, may as well go off his early years when evaluating forever, right? Easier that way.

Hustlenomics
04-15-2012, 07:30 PM
In case you haven't picked it up yet, I ignore your posts. I don't really agree with you on anything, and you have never really formulated something worth engaging in for me personally. You seem to love 2nd tier stars with major faults, something I can't get behind.

keep on making claims with no evidence to back it up

TheIlladelph16
04-15-2012, 07:58 PM
I can't see it happening to many superstar caliber players now, but players like: Amare, Wade, Rose, Rondo, Dwight come to mind of being possibilities. Most of those are simply because of health concerns though which is kind of unfair to judge a players legacy on. Players like: Lebron, Durant, Melo I think will absolutely be productive late in their careers even when their athleticism declines.

KnicksSoxFan69
04-15-2012, 08:10 PM
losers? or skill wise?

LongIslandIcedZ
04-15-2012, 08:58 PM
I think Amar'e would be the easy choice. So I'd probably say that.

I dont quite understand the question, but if the question is guys I could see breaking down in a couple years I'd say Wade. I wouldnt bet on it being Wade but I also wouldnt be crazy surprised.

Jayrich28
04-15-2012, 10:20 PM
I got some names for u guys

Blake griffin....like him but he cant shoot not great defense..poor free throws...he seems like kemp to me and we saw how quick he fell off

Hate to say it but rose is a canidate...injuries and style of play will hurt him if he doesnt become better shooter. Plus hes not real big..we see him now when he tries to play when hurt he isnt as effective.

Wade.....see rose

Westbrook similiar....baron davis anyone

Jayrich28
04-15-2012, 10:30 PM
I think the players who work on the fundmentals last longer....guys that come to mind when having long careers

Kobe
Allen
Duncan
Kg
Nash
Kidd
Grant hill

As these super athletic or quick guys get older they have to improve in playing the game fundmentally
Footwork
Shooting
Iq....cant always out run or jump over your opponents

This is why so many players fall of so quickly

RipCity32
04-15-2012, 10:50 PM
injuries played a big part on Arenas and TMac and AI had so many off the court issues that messed with him.

HuRRiCaNeS324
04-15-2012, 11:09 PM
I can understand why people would say Wade, but i dont see it happening to him because of two things. 1) He is a very fundamentally sound player and can score without using his athleticism. Down low, Wade is a monster. He can dominate most guards in the post and when his athleticism declines he will use it more often. Also, Wade can and will develop a better jump shot once he has to. 2) He is very lucky to be on the same team as Lebron and Bosh, two people who will produce well into their thirties. Wade won't have to carry any team much like AI and T Mac had to do which wore them down.

With that being said i see a lot of similarities between AI and Rose in that they have to carry their teams and rely heavily on their athleticism. Luol Deng isn't ever gonna take the load off Rose and Boozer's best days are behind him. So my vote goes to Rose since we can already see him beginning to get injured and probably isn't ever going to get to play with a second superstar while in his prime.

UPRock
04-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Paul Pierce.

BlahaTRUTH
04-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Iverson isn't even comparable to Vince or Tmac. Allen Iverson will be a Hall of Fame player.

McGrady didn't fall off. His career, was as others have said, decimated by injuries. Grant Hill and McGrady are two "tragedies" of our sport.

Carter just couldn't turn into a great shooter and improve his defense enough to remain relevant once his athleticism faded.

Nowadays... I see a lot of names in this thread that are not close to the skill Mac, VC, and Iverson had -- If Melo, Amare, Bosh, Deron -- were to finish their careers without winning anything major and fading quickly -- then we would have comparisons. Most people listed in this thread, haven't played at an elite level long enough to say that if they suddenly fell off it would be significant.

The people talking about Wade, ha ha... Dwade won a championship and even if his career sharply declines, he still will be a Hall of Famer.

The NBA has an extremely sharp U curve graph. The drop off of VC isn't really that shocking for example.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 11:20 PM
I can understand why people would say Wade, but i dont see it happening to him because of two things. 1) He is a very fundamentally sound player and can score without using his athleticism. Down low, Wade is a monster. He can dominate most guards in the post and when his athleticism declines he will use it more often. Also, Wade can and will develop a better jump shot once he has to. 2) He is very lucky to be on the same team as Lebron and Bosh, two people who will produce well into their thirties. Wade won't have to carry any team much like AI and T Mac had to do which wore them down.

With that being said i see a lot of similarities between AI and Rose in that they have to carry their teams and rely heavily on their athleticism. Luol Deng isn't ever gonna take the load off Rose and Boozer's best days are behind him. So my vote goes to Rose since we can already see him beginning to get injured and probably isn't ever going to get to play with a second superstar while in his prime.

The first paragraph I can get on board with.

But Iverson doesn't have Rose's size, midrange game, or defensive ability, Never did.

NJBASEBALL22
04-15-2012, 11:24 PM
CP3 seems like J. Kidd to me... where even if his speed goes (which it did a bit with the knee injury), he will still have value because of his passing ability, basketball IQ (offensive and defensive), ball handling, and shooting ability (which Kidd didn't have). So unless he retires early, like Roy, he will always have value as a PG that can run a team.

How about Rudy Gay? Not regard as high as a T-Mac or AI talent, but getting hit with the injury bug in the wrong places... backs and knees are no good.
How about Michael Redd?

NJBASEBALL22
04-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Eric Gordon... Brook Lopez might be the next Yao Ming with foot problems.

Jayrich28
04-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Iverson isn't even comparable to Vince or Tmac. Allen Iverson will be a Hall of Fame player.

McGrady didn't fall off. His career, was as others have said, decimated by injuries. Grant Hill and McGrady are two "tragedies" of our sport.

Carter just couldn't turn into a great shooter and improve his defense enough to remain relevant once his athleticism faded.

Nowadays... I see a lot of names in this thread that are not close to the skill Mac, VC, and Iverson had -- If Melo, Amare, Bosh, Deron -- were to finish their careers without winning anything major and fading quickly -- then we would have comparisons. Most people listed in this thread, haven't played at an elite level long enough to say that if they suddenly fell off it would be significant.

The people talking about Wade, ha ha... Dwade won a championship and even if his career sharply declines, he still will be a Hall of Famer.

The NBA has an extremely sharp U curve graph. The drop off of VC isn't really that shocking for example.

The guys most people name in five yrs I can see completely role players or has beens.

And alot of us said wade cuz he will be in less than five yr he is 30 and father time is on his ***....and yeah we know he won a ring a is hof worth but he gave us multiple options

1 ai - hall worthy ,went to a finals, scoring titles.....this is where we put wade

2 tmac- a guy who fell cuz of injuries ala hill, webber etc.....we put rose and others here
And last
3 carter-guy who was talented as long as he had athletism....ala kemp....this is home of blake griffin

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Iverson over TMac always makes me sick when I see someone say that

Jayrich28
04-15-2012, 11:47 PM

Well hawk imma be real its ai all the way...tmac playoff record hurts him a lot

Ai took philly to the finals....heart of a lion we just respect him

Plus ai is 6ft and thats generous...i been next to the dude a few times and imma taller

Tmac like 6 10 ....we luv the underdog u gotta give it to the lil guy he balled...lol

b@llhog24
04-16-2012, 12:17 AM

:laugh2:

b@llhog24
04-16-2012, 12:24 AM
+1 A.I couldn't even sniff a prime Tmac's jockstrap.

Well hawk imma be real its ai all the way...tmac playoff record hurts him a lot

Ai took philly to the finals....heart of a lion we just respect him

Plus ai is 6ft and thats generous...i been next to the dude a few times and imma taller

Tmac like 6 10 ....we luv the underdog u gotta give it to the lil guy he balled...lol

Aside from being extremely inefficient this is why I loved AI.

DragonJaii
04-16-2012, 12:26 AM
amare, he's already dropping in production + his injury makes things worse.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-16-2012, 01:07 AM
I can't tell if you're serious or not.

And yeah, Dwight and Amare are the easy answers... I hate to say it, but with all of his injuries, D Rose. I'm aware that his injuries aren't exactly serious, but his durability is just questionable. and he has the same type of game as Iverson, really.

Oh, yeah. I can see Joe Johnson too.

all wade's game relies on athletacism, plus he has a very streaky jumpshot

tyfreaks brotha
04-16-2012, 02:46 AM
Iverson over TMac always makes me sick when I see someone say that Agreed. Tmac was a freaking beast and it's said injuries took his career. NBA probably would've been a totally different league without them damn injuries

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-16-2012, 03:10 AM
If he doesn't start winning something, I can see Carmelo Anthony slowly going away into the realm of anonymity while other perimeter players like Kobe, Pierce, LeBron, Wade, Durant, Rose, CP3, DWill shine.

sunnydayin'zona
04-16-2012, 06:04 AM
I feel like Stat has the best shot at "being the next McGrady/AI". But I don't think it'd be as bad as they nose dived though out of super stardom.

I agree. Amare is the first person that comes to mind, because of his health and how much his game depends on athleticism.

sunnydayin'zona
04-16-2012, 06:05 AM
And I've always felt that Rose was destined for the same thing...but maybe its all the comparisons to Iverson

Puck017
04-16-2012, 06:27 AM
I think James Harden could be the next T-Mac. If he leaves the Thunder like when T-Mac left the Raptors I think he could be a star if he goes to the right situation.

Lab Rat Robby
04-16-2012, 06:27 AM
I say melo. He is already chasing and needing a miracle at that.

FrenchSunsFan
04-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Melo , Griiffin , Deron Williams.

kurivaimu
04-16-2012, 07:52 AM
paul pierce.

lol

kurivaimu
04-16-2012, 07:54 AM
if he doesn't start winning something, i can see carmelo anthony slowly going away into the realm of anonymity while other perimeter players like kobe, pierce, lebron, wade, durant, rose, cp3, dwill shine.

+1

celtNYpatsHeels
04-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Melo?? He has ZERO offensive weakness and doesnt really rely on quickness and/or speed and/or high flying dunks to score. Unless he gets hurt I dont see it.

I think Wade, Dwight, Josh SMith, Gay, Tyreke and Rose are all candidates

kurivaimu
04-16-2012, 08:41 AM
My first choice would be Dwight Howard. Without his athleticism i see him turning into Marcus Camby. Being a big body he will still impact the defensive end, but considering he really has no post moves, raw footwork, no jumper and is a terrible free throw shooters then without his athleticism he won't be a factor on offense.

Second i thought of Derrick Rose as his current game is much based on speed and penetration. But on second thought, considering what a workaholic he is and how he has improved his jump shot, i think he will be fine. I think he will follow a similar path to J-Kidd. Ja Kidd at first also didnt have a jumper and relied on speed, but now is a very decent shooter.

As far as injuries are concerned, i think Amare and Bynum will never reach their true potential. Although Amare has been working on his outside game and shooting ability, when he looses his knees and athleticism he'll be a role player at best.

mdm692
04-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Stoudemire for sure. Joe johnson as well. I saw someone mention melo and i cant really see him dissappearing like that he is too skilled and although he is a chucker he has pretty good range.

Bornknick73
04-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Im gonna say the next big player might be....and I hate to say this...but the Nets MarShon Brooks.

He cant fly as high as the other guys but he has all th tools to be one of the games next big scorers.

I see Klay Thompson becoming the next Reggie/Ray Allen type player.

Bornknick73
04-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Amar'es transition will be the same as Larry Johnsons and Ewings. He will perfect his mid range game when his athleticism deserts him.

Bornknick73
04-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Melo?? He has ZERO offensive weakness and doesnt really rely on quickness and/or speed and/or high flying dunks to score. Unless he gets hurt I dont see it.

I think Wade, Dwight, Josh SMith, Gay, Tyreke and Rose are all candidates

Im definetly seeing Melo age better than Lebron and Wade. Melos game is predicated on shooting the rock. Hes already got the old man game. Post up, turn around jumpers, head fakes. Melos repetoire isnt based on athletics. Its based on craftiness. Once he gets older he wll still have a unstoppable post game and mid range shot.

JordansBulls
04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Mcgrady ---> Lebron
Iverson ---> Rose
Carter ----> Westbrook

ThuglifeJ
04-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Mcgrady ---> Lebron
Iverson ---> Rose
Carter ----> Westbrook

This except Rose and Westbrook arent nearly as popular as the guys pointing to them were..not even close idc how bad ppls memories are AI was Iconic VC was the most popular athlete next to Tiger Woods at one point.

I honestly dont think theyr will be another AI,VC, or Tmac. That's y theyr so legendary to me. They were ONE OF A KIND talents. They're games were completely original (with a hint of MJ-ness).

Griffin isnt good enough or just simply good enough at basketball to be put in that category for me along with every other person listed so far. Rose, maybe. Griffin I believe will fall off quickly like the others but hes not a superstar talent. just a beast dunker.

Players have always had huge falloffs tho, players get old overnight in this league.

b_russ
04-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Steve Francis

b_russ
04-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Im definetly seeing Melo age better than Lebron and Wade. Melos game is predicated on shooting the rock. Hes already got the old man game. Post up, turn around jumpers, head fakes. Melos repetoire isnt based on athletics. Its based on craftiness. Once he gets older he wll still have a unstoppable post game and mid range shot.

Carmelo = Paul Pierce

iam brett favre
04-16-2012, 04:54 PM

:laugh:
Please, please tell me your serious.

AI4MVP
04-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Easily Amare Stoudemire. /thread

Da Knicks
04-16-2012, 05:02 PM
If he doesn't start winning something, I can see Carmelo Anthony slowly going away into the realm of anonymity while other perimeter players like Kobe, Pierce, LeBron, Wade, Durant, Rose, CP3, DWill shine.

lol Wrong player to choose, Melos game is all skill and will be one of the players who will play very well even in his later years.

Funny thing is that i think players like Rose, Lebron, Wade, D will, Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay, Amare, maybe even Howard are the ones who will struggle when the quicks and speed are gone. Kobe and Pierce have already proved that skill will keep on moving them now that they are older, the same game Melo has. Amare has developed a jumper but his balky knees scare me, while Rose and Wade i can see vanishing pretty quickly. Durant if he avoids injury could be a good player going forward because of his shot.

Lebron would have to turn himself into some point guard type ala magic, i think he will struggle if he keeps on trying to just attack the basket. I could see an injury of some sort, i hate when a man his size drives and jumps so high with so many players in the lane. An injury waiting to happen and that would suck because eventhough he plays for the heat he is a good player and no player deserves to get hurt...