PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis: Bobcats Edition.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 12:22 PM
It's simple if your Anthony Davis do you declare for the draft knowing there is a chance that you get drafted by the Bobcats? (I mean seriously that place is a shithole) or just choose to stay in college and hope whoever they pick makes them relevant enough to not be the worst team in the league. Thoughts?

homestarunner93
04-15-2012, 12:24 PM
It's simple if your Anthony Davis do you declare for the draft knowing there is a chance that you get drafted by the Bobcats? (I mean seriously that place is a shithole) or just choose to stay in college and hope whoever they pick makes them relevant enough to not be the worst team in the league. Thoughts?

Actually, no it isn't. Charlotte is a great place to live. It is a little dull compared to a New York or Los Angeles, but it is a fantastic place to start a career and a family. The team is only a couple of years removed from being in the playoffs. Fact of the matter is, you're just being ignorant like everyone else in here. There have been garbage teams in the NBA before, everyone runs around criticizing them, they do a little better the next year, and you never hear those people run off on the team like that again.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Actually, no it isn't. Charlotte is a great place to live. It is a little dull compared to a New York or Los Angeles, but it is a fantastic place to start a career and a family. The team is only a couple of years removed from being in the playoffs. Fact of the matter is, you're just being ignorant like everyone else in here. There have been garbage teams in the NBA before, everyone runs around criticizing them, they do a little better the next year, and you never hear those people run off on the team like that again.

Not the people per say, more from an organizational and marketing standpoint. And how am I being ignorant, Micheal freaking Jordan is your owner.

homestarunner93
04-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Not the people per say, more from an organizational and marketing standpoint.

Well, please tell us what is wrong from an "organizational and marketing standpoint." Michael Jordan does not make all of the basketball decisions, so don't say that. Higgins has some power, and Cho is getting more and more say because he's proven he knows how to build a team.

Iodine
04-15-2012, 12:30 PM

Remember that one guy who said North Carolina is a great city?

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Well, please tell us what is wrong from an "organizational and marketing standpoint." Michael Jordan does not make all of the basketball decisions, so don't say that. Higgins has some power, and Cho is getting more and more say because he's proven he knows how to build a team.

Charlotte barely has attendance and it's not really a good place for promotion. Look at Kemba people hardly remembers he exists.

Iodine
04-15-2012, 12:31 PM

But dude, after Larry Brown does his roster rape, leaves, and you lose your PG in FA and SJax goes back to being SJax you need to win 50 games to be well run

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Its not a bait thread btw I like alot of players on that team in Henderson, Reggie and Bismack. It's more of a put your self in Davis's shoes type situation.

Cal827
04-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Taking all bets on the lifespan of this thread :D

To the point though, he should declare... he stays for another year, there's a risk that he will go lower (e.g. if he gets hurt)... There are a few guys who would have been top 3-5 who have fallen off this year (Barnes, Sullinger, etc). Also just think about Bismack/Davis front court defensively.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 12:34 PM
But dude, after Larry Brown does his roster rape, leaves, and you lose your PG in FA and SJax goes back to being SJax you need to win 50 games to be well run

Who said that? I'm saying if you were Anthony Davis would you wish to go there? (Even in comparison to other teams like the Wizards, Nets, Blazers, etc) the only reason i picked the Bobcats is because they have the best odds.

homestarunner93
04-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Remember that one guy who said North Carolina is a great city?

Hahaha, yes.

Charlotte barely has attendance and it's not really a good place for promotion. Look at Kemba people hardly remembers he exists.

The attendance is low right now, but that just isn't true. Charlotte is a sleeping giant when it comes to basketball. Mostly because of Duke and North Carolina, the state of North Carolina is a bastion of basketball in a South that heavily favors football. The Bobcats, for as bad as they are, are tied for 25th in attendance. You can't tell me that you don't think those numbers could easily skyrocket if a consistent competitor were built. They average a higher percentage of fans than the Pacers and equal to the Bucks, teams that will/be could be in the playoffs this year. The Nets are supposedly a "marketable" destination, but they average a lower percentage of fans too. Also, I wouldn't call San Antonio or Oklahoma City terribly marketable, but I would say they do alright. Wouldn't you? Furthermore, if the Bobcats can reach a plateau of sustained competitiveness, I wouldn't underrate the fact that the face of Jordan Brand is the owner.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Taking all bets on the lifespan of this thread :D

To the point though, he should declare... he stays for another year, there's a risk that he will go lower (e.g. if he gets hurt)... There are a few guys who would have been top 3-5 who have fallen off this year (Barnes, Sullinger, etc). Also just think about Bismack/Davis front court defensively.

:sigh: and yeah I guess that is another reason for him to declare.

homestarunner93
04-15-2012, 12:37 PM

Just blame it all on Michael Jordan. HE DRAFTED KWAME BROWN OMG.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Hahaha, yes.

The attendance is low right now, but that just isn't true. Charlotte is a sleeping giant when it comes to basketball. Mostly because of Duke and North Carolina, the state of North Carolina is a bastion of basketball in a South that heavily favors football. The Bobcats, for as bad as they are, are tied for 25th in attendance. You can't tell me that you don't think those numbers could easily skyrocket if a consistent competitor were built. They average a higher percentage of fans than the Pacers and equal to the Bucks, teams that will/be could be in the playoffs this year. The Nets are supposedly a "marketable" destination, but they average a lower percentage of fans too. Also, I wouldn't call San Antonio or Oklahoma City terribly marketable, but I would say they do alright. Wouldn't you? Furthermore, if the Bobcats can reach a plateau of sustained competitiveness, I wouldn't underrate the fact that the face of Jordan Brand is the owner.

No doubt about that, but if your Anthony Davis how would you look at it in terms of it affecting your career, i.e. lack of a big market, unstable drafting over the years, free agents not wanting to come there.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Just blame it all on Michael Jordan. HE DRAFTED KWAME BROWN OMG.

Adam Morrison is also tied to him. :D

Tom Stone
04-15-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm not that impressed with A. davis......to me he's a McGee type power forward, his highlight real, didn't show anything but open dunks and blocks, not a lot of skill there......I think he'll be a good NBA player, but I don't see him as a clear cut number 1 pick........I would take Jonas Val any day of the week over A. Davis.

bigsams50
04-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Kemba isnt irrelevant because he is in Charlotte, its because right now he ****ing sucks

ichitownclowni
04-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Not the people per say, more from an organizational and marketing standpoint. And how am I being ignorant, Micheal freaking Jordan is your owner.

Greatest Basketball player ever and you cant spell his name???????

It is Michael

homestarunner93
04-15-2012, 12:48 PM
No doubt about that, but if your Anthony Davis how would you look at it in terms of it affecting your career, i.e. lack of a big market, unstable drafting over the years, free agents not wanting to come there.

I would look at the fact that I'm the obvious #1 pick, and realize I would be a ****ing idiot not to declare because one injury can totally wash out someone's career. But anyways, how many big markets draft #1 overall in today's NBA? Not many. The drafting has been spotty at best, but that was without Cho. Big-name free agents aren't going to go anywhere but a handful of big markets anyways, so that's fairly irrelevant.

Adam Morrison is also tied to him. :D

Don't remind me.

Kemba isnt irrelevant because he is in Charlotte, its because right now he ****ing sucks

Bingo.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Greatest Basketball player ever and you cant spell his name???????

It is Michael
So you've never had a typo in life? You knew what i meant. Give me a break dude.

I would look at the fact that I'm the obvious #1 pick, and realize I would be a ****ing idiot not to declare because one injury can totally wash out someone's career. But anyways, how many big markets draft #1 overall in today's NBA? Not many. The drafting has been spotty at best, but that was without Cho. Big-name free agents aren't going to go anywhere but a handful of big markets anyways, so that's fairly irrelevant.

Don't remind me.

Bingo.

I think the bolded part is the answer i wanted for my thread. I'm not saying a big market just a BIGGER market. As for the free agent aspect a team like the Cats would have to overpay for talent and Michael isn't the richest person as far as owners go.

bigsams50
04-15-2012, 01:02 PM
So you've never had a typo in life? You knew what i meant. Give me a break dude.

I think the bolded part is the answer i wanted for my thread. I'm not saying a big market just a BIGGER market. As for the free agent aspect a team like the Cats would have to overpay for talent and Michael isn't the richest person as far as owners go.

Star players leaving small markets to go to big markets is whats wrong with the NBA now. If rookies started to do that too, then we might as well only have 10 teams in the league

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Star players leaving small markets to go to big markets is whats wrong with the NBA now. If rookies started to do that too, then we might as well only have 10 teams in the league

Well that's true but your looking at it the wrong way. Take Tmac vs Kobe one got was always on subpar teams while one was gifted with roster support up the butthole. Aside from injuries Tmac basically =Kobe. If I'm Davis I'm just saying that I'd rather get drafted by a better franchise (even though if I'm being picked number one its probably a crap franchise anyway) than the Bobcats so i could end up being closer to Kobe, than Tmac.

bigsams50
04-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Well that's true but your looking at it the wrong way. Take Tmac vs Kobe one got was always on subpar teams while one was gifted with roster support up the butthole. Aside from injuries Tmac basically =Kobe. If I'm Davis I'm just saying that I'd rather get drafted by a better franchise (even though if I'm being picked number one its probably a crap franchise anyway) than the Bobcats so i could end up being closer to Kobe, than Tmac.

Davis has done nothing to deserve the chance to say he doesnt want to go to a team in the NBA. If he returns, then no harm done. But if he enters the draft and says he wont play for the Bobcats, then he can go **** himself. He is a rookie. He shouldnt be able to pick where he goes

nate2usmc
04-15-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't think Davis gives a damn. He has million$$$$ of reasons not to *****h.

black1605
04-15-2012, 01:26 PM
He's going to one of the worst teams in the league regardless of when he goes pro. This thread is silly.

Charlotte is by far the worst team in the league, and there are still a handful of teams with worse attendance, including the Pacers who are third in the Eastern Conference.

Ask Cam Newton if playing in Charlotte has hurt his marketability.

Build a winning product, sell out every game. It's as simple as that. The Hornets lead the league in attendance for most of the 1990s, but you're probably a 14 year old who thinks the NBA started when Lebron was drafted.

Go read a book or something, you're wasting your time trying to make interesting threads on here.

mjt20mik
04-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Life is full of uncertainties. I think if your Davis, you never know what could happen with injuries. Your projected to be picked number 1, in the best basketball league in the world. You don't mess with that.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Davis has done nothing to deserve the chance to say he doesnt want to go to a team in the NBA. If he returns, then no harm done. But if he enters the draft and says he wont play for the Bobcats, then he can go **** himself. He is a rookie. He shouldnt be able to pick where he goes

That's what I was referring to.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 01:30 PM
He's going to one of the worst teams in the league regardless of when he goes pro. This thread is silly.

Charlotte is by far the worst team in the league, and there are still a handful of teams with worse attendance, including the Pacers who are third in the Eastern Conference.

Build a winning product, sell out every game. It's as simple as that. The Hornets lead the league in attendance for most of the 1990s, but you're probably a 14 year old who thinks the NBA started when Lebron was drafted.

Go read a book or something, you're wasting your time trying to make interesting threads on here.

Aside from that bolder portion being irrelevant, I get what you're saying. Dang how you guys get so emotional over an internet post is beyond me.

gatkins11
04-15-2012, 01:31 PM

All of this.

flea
04-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Real star players take on the challenge of turning around a downtrodden franchise. Guys like MJ and Duncan (yes he had Robinson but that franchise was still pretty mediocre) did it, Durant is currently doing it, and Anthony Davis will probably do it where ever he goes. Only headcases like Lebron feel the need to make ESPN specials advertising their lack of interest in building a franchise. Davis seems like he has a very good head on his shoulders.

To the guy who doesn't think he'll be good: you clearly didn't watch much of Kentucky this year. That team was scary good and it was primarily because of Anthony Davis even though he took the 4th or 5th most shots on the team. He does have offense, it just wasn't necessary to run it through him on that team.

black1605
Who's emotional? Just stating facts to shoot down your lame baseless theories.

gatkins11
Aside from that bolder portion being irrelevant, I get what you're saying. Dang how you guys get so emotional over an internet post is beyond me.

Probably because you started out with "Charlotte is a shithole." Regardless of how you meant it, it comes across as a derogatory statement.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Who's emotional? Just stating facts to shoot down your lame baseless theories.
Okay then.

Probably because you started out with "Charlotte is a shithole." Regardless of how you meant it, it comes across as a derogatory statement.

Lol true. I like to use hyperbole when I'm speaking/writing. It was meant more to be skipped across rather than focused on. Well at least it brought the some Bobcats fans out :D

black1605
04-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Just for interests sake, here's a pretty accurate picture of the Hornets success in Charlotte, and when it went bad.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/799920/Charlotte-Hornets-tz.jpg

celtNYpatsHeels
04-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Imagine Davis and Noel on the same team???? They would average 15 blocks per game together

D12 fan
04-15-2012, 02:10 PM
It's simple if your Anthony Davis do you declare for the draft knowing there is a chance that you get drafted by the Bobcats? (I mean seriously that place is a shithole)

The Bobcats are a bad team,but to call them a shithole is a bit to extreme,it shouldn't matter where Anthony Davis plays,he's lucky to be playing in the NBA period,and get paid millions of dollars just to play the game of basketball.I actually thinks he would love to play for MJ and the Bobcats,he was at the Jordan classic game last night in (Charlotte) he was also wearing the Bobcats team colors,that could be a sign that he would love play in Charlotte.As far as marketing in Charlotte,look at what Cam Newton has done for the Panthers,if Davis is a star he will do the same for the Bobcats.

Also this is a stupid thread,maybe you are a ****hole for posting it.

VCaintdead17
04-15-2012, 02:10 PM
I think the biggest issue here is Tyrus Thomas. How can Charlotte afford to draft Davis when the Eon of Tyrus is just beginning?

da ThRONe
04-15-2012, 02:24 PM
If Davis is as good as advertised it won't matter where he goes. Top 10-15 players in this league single handly transend frachises it's why they are so valuable.

dee279
04-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Why would he stay in college just because he has a chance to be drafted by Charlotte? Since you say the Bobcats are that bad, guess what?! It will be the same way next year.

arkanian215
04-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Supposedly, Anthony Davis is coming to the Nets.

kenzo400
04-15-2012, 03:05 PM
But Charlotte is going to be one of the worst teams next year too. So i don't see how him not declaring for this draft makes his situation any better.

gaughan333
04-15-2012, 03:38 PM
That team is awful. But maybe Davis will see it as a challenge? At least he wont have a ton of pressure on him at the moment he gets into the league. I really hope Charlotte can turn it around, first step, cut tyrus the virus

Rain City
04-15-2012, 04:01 PM
with davis and bismack for the future they might be able to trade off byron mullens who has had some good games and get a perimeter player or draft pick.

kvrnm
04-15-2012, 04:19 PM
lol its the freakin NBA, ur gettin paid to play in the best facilities n treated like royalty. there is nothin wrong with charlotte. any franchise can turn it around

xxplayerxx23
04-15-2012, 04:31 PM
lol are you serious, if he doesnt he takes a chance of injury before making any money, He will declare and wont care where he gets drafted, if hes good he will make plenty of money,

Run&Gun
04-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Charlotte fans, don't want to bait but have you guys been satisfied with your draft picks, I feel like the you fans are getting pretty boned. Every draft I can never figure out the bobcats GM pick these prospects.

I hope that they get the number 1 pick I think they really need it, they need some star or resemblence of a franchise player on that team, I think all their positions besides point guard are up for grabs realistically, it's too bad that a lot of players they have been getting keep don't pan out.

homestarunner93
04-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Charlotte fans, don't want to bait but have you guys been satisfied with your draft picks, I feel like the you fans are getting pretty boned. Every draft I can never figure out the bobcats GM pick these prospects.

I hope that they get the number 1 pick I think they really need it, they need some star or resemblence of a franchise player on that team, I think all their positions besides point guard are up for grabs realistically, it's too bad that a lot of players they have been getting keep don't pan out.

Adam Morrison and Kemba Walker were the only two first rounders I was really pissed about. You have to expect some guys to bust, no team is 100% in drafting. I would have thought guys like Sean May and Alexis Ajinca would have been decent players at least, but it just didn't work out.

Raph12
04-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Well "DUH!"... I mean what's there to do in Charlotte? I ain never heard anyone say they wanna go vacation in Charlotte. :p

jimbobjarree
04-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Charlotte are gunna be the worst team the whole time he's in college, so he's got no choice.

bigsams50
04-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Adam Morrison and Kemba Walker were the only two first rounders I was really pissed about. You have to expect some guys to bust, no team is 100% in drafting. I would have thought guys like Sean May and Alexis Ajinca would have been decent players at least, but it just didn't work out.

I was pissed about Kemba and Morrison too. But i was also pissed about Ajinca. He just seemed like he was going to be a bust.

JDMVP
04-16-2012, 04:00 AM
Do yall honestly think that this league is gonna let the number 1 pick go to Charlotte?

DRAFT LOTTERY, he won't go there but if he does turn out that way, id take the chance if I was him.

Ill be playing alongside Kemba Walker. Anthony Davis and Kemba Walker combo wouldnt look that bad on paper. Its worth taking the risk.

Knicks21
04-16-2012, 04:28 AM
I doubt Davis will be on the bobcats, recent lotteries have shows to not favour the worst team overall.

flea
04-16-2012, 08:53 AM
The lottery system is a charade so Stern can pick who he wants the top pick to go to.

NoahH
04-16-2012, 12:01 PM

He'll probably end up there next year too tho lmao

king4day
04-16-2012, 12:07 PM
He's going to a crappy team no matter when he declares. If I'm him, I'd be thinking, Charlotte has a good young core. I can really be part of the turnaround of this franchise.

The other side of things are, he doesn't know what team will be drafting him until long after he's declared. Chances are, Charlotte could get him next year too.

king4day
04-16-2012, 12:12 PM
The lottery system is a charade so Stern can pick who he wants the top pick to go to.

If that's the case then I'd think New Orleans is out now that they have an owner and no longer need an attractive piece to find a buyer.

Charlotte is flat out bad. This isn't a tanking team. Just a really bad squad. If Stern is to rig it, he knows the Bobcats need this pick. The franchise is floundering and a player like Davis could turn it around.

ManningToTyree
04-16-2012, 12:28 PM

:burn:

Stinkyoutsider
04-16-2012, 01:00 PM
If I'm Davis, I can't wait to get drafted #1, even better if it's to the Bobcats. If he's a great competitor, he takes this opportunity and runs with it. He would be the best player on the team and all his teammates would look for him to carry the team. What a great situation for a competitor?

If he goes to the Bobcats and they become competitive in the next few years, he will have written his own meal ticket.

What's the bad side of this? The team continues to be horrible? It's a no lose situation (outside of him not being able to play at a high level). If the team continues to lose, oh well. Move on to the next team after your contract expires. But, if this team becomes great with him being the best player, he'll become a star.

Sactown
04-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Avoiding Charlotte isn't worth risking millions to injury, and potentially hurting your draft stock.. he'd be an idiot not to declare

AceMan
04-16-2012, 01:45 PM
It's a ****** team and a ****** organization, but that's to be expected of a team picking first. If Blake can deal with going to the Clippers I think Davis can deal with the Bobcats. And remember, there's a 75% chance the Bobcats don't pick first, so for now this thread is useless.

NoahH
04-16-2012, 02:30 PM

Do these Charlotte fans that you speak of exist?