PDA

View Full Version : Ramon Sessions Expected To Opt Out, Become Unrestricted Free Agent

LTBaByyy
04-15-2012, 12:11 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-ramon-sessions-20120415,0,1711842,full.story

Can the Lakers afford him? And there is going to be great FA point guards

D Will
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Dragic
Jeremy Lin
Ray Felton
Ramon Sessions
Aaron Brooks
Kirk Hinrich
Andre Miller
Chauncey Billups

shep33
04-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Yesterday he said he wants to be a Laker for "long time". Financially he did the right thing by not opting in. He's making like 4 mill next year.

Will the Lakers re-sign him? I think so, a lot will depend on how he performs in the playoffs imo.

He's been great though. Shoulder injury has hindered his game of late though.

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 12:19 PM
unless he falls off a cliff they should go after him, and he should recognize this opportunity as a starter for a contender and not risk the irrelevance that was his career pre-trade. i think he will stay.

shep33
04-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Quote from the same article you just posted:

"I want to be here. I don't know what that means or how that's going to happen. It ain't no secret. I'll tell anybody that. I tell [Lakers General Manager] Mitch Kupchak. I tell my agent. I want to be here. Period. For a long time."

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 12:25 PM
He'll sign with the Heat for the vet minimum.

shep33
04-15-2012, 12:26 PM
He'll sign with the Heat for the vet minimum.

No they'll use that for Dwill

Dwill
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Dwight Howard

Sources tell me that a Juwan for Dwight deal is in the mix.

LTBaByyy
04-15-2012, 12:30 PM
How much does the Lakers have in cap space? I am sure it is not much

Ty Fast
04-15-2012, 12:33 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-ramon-sessions-20120415,0,1711842,full.story

D Will
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Dragic
Jeremy Lin
Ray Felton
Ramon Sessions
Aaron Brooks
Kirk Hinrich
Andre Miller
Chauncey Billups

d will - dallas
kidd - lakers
nash - suns
lin - knicks
billups - heat

i could see some team giving sessions a big deal

Cal827
04-15-2012, 12:38 PM
d will - dallas
kidd - lakers
nash - suns
lin - knicks
billups - heat

i could see some team giving sessions a big deal

That's what I was thinking too....the Luxury taxes caused them to lose Lamar, some team will over upwards of 7 mill per year for him. Maybe NJ, after losing Williams lol

shep33
04-15-2012, 12:43 PM
That's what I was thinking too....the Luxury taxes caused them to lose Lamar, some team will over upwards of 7 mill per year for him. Maybe NJ, after losing Williams lol

I was just going to say the Nets lol. The thing with Sessions is, I mean he's good, but how much is he worth is the question. Everything will depend on his performance in the playoffs.

He can still opt in for next year if he wants. Also a lot will depend on Pau Gasol I think. Maybe he gets moved in the summer to open up some more space.

It'll be an interesting offseason for us. If we don't win a title, I think Pau Gasol will definitely be traded.

smith&wesson
04-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Hope the raps can make a play for session or dragic.

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 01:03 PM
I was just going to say the Nets lol. The thing with Sessions is, I mean he's good, but how much is he worth is the question. Everything will depend on his performance in the playoffs.

He can still opt in for next year if he wants. Also a lot will depend on Pau Gasol I think. Maybe he gets moved in the summer to open up some more space.

It'll be an interesting offseason for us. If we don't win a title, I think Pau Gasol will definitely be traded.

lakers were limping along pre-sessions. his presence has them in the conversation for coming out of the west. what really makes his value hard to peg is the number of good pg's right now. the league is effing stacked. he might not be better than like,12th at his position, but that's not to say he's not good or even very good. just a tough market with all that talent. i'd give him 7/8 a year and feel great about it.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 01:08 PM

Dwill
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Dwight Howard

Lol

JasonJohnHorn
04-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Its smart on his part. The Lakers are going to have to pony up whatever he wants because they need him. The MLE (which, being over the cap, is all the Lakers will have to offer other PGs) will not be enough to land them a quality PG (unless they work a sign and trade). Sessions has been doing a great job for the Lakers, and if they make a deep playoff run, keeping him will be extremely important, and because they have his Larry-Bird rights, which came along with him in the trade, they can offer more that what other teams will offer him, which, since there are so many other PGs on the market this season, won't be as much since most teams will be chasing after the likes of D-Will and Nash.

If I was the Lakers I would seriously try to get Nash with the MLE AND keep Sessions. Those two would make a great PG rotation with Blake as the third man out. They make enough money where they can afford to do that.

Smart move on Sessions part. He'll get a nice pay day.

D12 fan
04-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Why is this a thread,Nobody cares about Ramon Sessions.

Kevj77
04-15-2012, 03:22 PM
How much does the Lakers have in cap space? I am sure it is not muchZero cap space, but that isn't an issue is it? When they traded for him they got his Bird rights I believe and can go over the cap to sign him.

JasonJohnHorn
04-15-2012, 03:32 PM

I care about Sessions.

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 03:40 PM
meh...

he won't get more than 4 years starting at $6 million a year with escalators and an eto after 2 years

who else under the cap is gonna pay more?

beliges
04-15-2012, 04:02 PM
The Lakers will be making a very strong push for D Williams this offseason. Resigning Sessions is secondary to acquiring Williams.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 04:07 PM
The Lakers can not afford him if he hits the open market. They are already $7-8 million over the cap for next year.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 04:07 PM
The Lakers will be making a very strong push for D Williams this offseason. Resigning Sessions is secondary to acquiring Williams.

How are they in the running for a near max PG with their salary cap situation?

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Zero cap space, but that isn't an issue is it? When they traded for him they got his Bird rights I believe and can go over the cap to sign him.

Bird rights don't move via trade dude. Do they? I didn't think they did. I also thought a restricted FA's who signed a one year deal can veto a trade because it will kill their Bird rights.

Lakers + Giants
04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Quote from the same article you just posted:

But LTB doesn't mention how he wants to remain a laker. . .maybe he just forgot. :rolleyes:

Kevj77
04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
The Lakers will be making a very strong push for D Williams this offseason. Resigning Sessions is secondary to acquiring Williams.I just don't see that happening unless NJ is willing to sign and trade him for Pau or parts the Lakers can get for Pau from a third team. Lakers have no cap space it's the only way. LA isn't trading Bynum or Kobe for Dwill and they have nothing else of value.

Lakers if they really want to improve they need to sign Sessions, use the TPE from the Odom trade and the mini-MLE to help the bench. Sessions is perfect because it will allow LA to keep both bigs together and still improve the bench.

beliges
04-15-2012, 04:22 PM
I just don't see that happening unless NJ is willing to sign and trade him for Pau or parts the Lakers can get for Pau from a third team. Lakers have no cap space it's the only way. LA isn't trading Bynum or Kobe for Dwill and they have nothing else of value.

Lakers if they really want to improve they need to sign Sessions, use the TPE from the Odom trade and the mini-MLE to help the bench. Sessions is perfect because it will allow LA to keep both bigs together and still improve the bench.

The Lakers shed a lot of cap space through the trades they made at the deadline. Furthermore they picked up a player from the Rockets who will not be on the roster next season. They positioned themselves to a big signing this offseason. And I am certain Williams is gonna ask out this offseason and try to play with a contending team finally. Furthermore, while the Lakers will be over the cap, they will be willing to sign a guy like Williams and pay the luxury. They will make a strong push.

Sadds The Gr8
04-15-2012, 04:26 PM

then Don't Watch

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 04:27 PM
The Lakers shed a lot of cap space through the trades they made at the deadline. Furthermore they picked up a player from the Rockets who will not be on the roster next season. They positioned themselves to a big signing this offseason. And I am certain Williams is gonna ask out this offseason and try to play with a contending team finally. Furthermore, while the Lakers will be over the cap, they will be willing to sign a guy like Williams and pay the luxury. They will make a strong push.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

You are at $60+ million with Kobe/Gasol/Bynum next year. You have zero room unless you let Bynum walk. Sign and trade is the only thing bringing you anything over a mid-level exception signing. And those are so difficult to work out.

Kevj77
04-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Bird rights don't move via trade dude. Do they? I didn't think they did. I also thought a restricted FA's who signed a one year deal can veto a trade because it will kill their Bird rights.Yes, Bird rights absolutely move with traded players that is common knowledge. Although there are situations were players traded didn't have Bird rights with the team that traded them in the first place. Teams must have a player for three years to get Bird rights. Sessions did sign three year deal with a player option for a fourth with Minny three years ago right? If that is correct his Bird rights should belong to LA. It really all depends on his last contract was it for at least three years?

5ass
04-15-2012, 04:45 PM

you dont know what ur talking about dude.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Yes, Bird rights absolutely move with traded players that is common knowledge. Although there are situations were players traded didn't have Bird rights with the team that traded them in the first place. Teams must have a player for three years to get Bird rights. Sessions did sign three year deal with a player option for a fourth with Minny three years ago right? If that is correct his Bird rights should belong to LA. It really all depends on his last contract was it for at least three years?

I know HOW Bird rights are created. I didn't know they flipped to a team that traded for you however. That part doesn't make sense in the slightest. The rule should be used to re-sign players that have been on your roster for 3 years imo.

The Lakers traded away Odom for nothing, to start clearing some space before the huge tax penalties come in a couple of years. Why would they sign Sessions for a large amount and re-enter the same situation they were in?

5ass
04-15-2012, 04:51 PM
I know HOW Bird rights are created. I didn't know they flipped to a team that traded for you however. That part doesn't make sense in the slightest. The rule should be used to re-sign players that have been on your roster for 3 years imo.

The Lakers traded away Odom for nothing, to start clearing some space before the huge tax penalties come in a couple of years. Why would they sign Sessions for a large amount and re-enter the same situation they were in?
they cant even resign sessions since he's unrestricted. No way he turns down a 4 mill player option just to resign with them for the MLE. I think sessions is gone next season.

5ass
04-15-2012, 04:55 PM
can a team under the cap sign sessions and then trade him to the lakers for their trade exception and a 2nd rounder+cash? To me it seems thats the only way they can keep sessions.

Kevj77
04-15-2012, 05:17 PM

The Lakers traded away Odom for nothing, to start clearing some space before the huge tax penalties come in a couple of years. Why would they sign Sessions for a large amount and re-enter the same situation they were in?It wouldn't make sense not to work the way it does. Think about it. Would you trade draft picks for a player that only has two years left on a four year contract if this were the case?

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 05:19 PM
It wouldn't make sense not to work the way it does. Think about it. Would you trade draft picks for a player that only has two years left on a four year contract if this were the case?

It still doesn't make sense to me. It should be rights given due to loyalty on both sides, not some contractual deal only.

You make trades for all sorts of reasons, you know that. Besides, what the hell good are draft picks when you pick #26-30 every year?

FriedTofuz
04-15-2012, 05:29 PM
ramon sessions just wants to see where he can get the most finanicially, hes only making 4 mil and he deserves a lot more than that. I dont think the lakers can afford 8mil a year, but Thats at least what he should get.

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 05:40 PM
lakers still have their amnesty correct?

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 05:47 PM
lakers still have their amnesty correct?

are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Amnesty Kobe, sign Sessions to a 4 year, $40 million deal

SmartestGuyHere
04-15-2012, 05:52 PM
The Lakers are screwed if they don't resign him. Give him a MWP-like contract. If not, Steve Blake will be the starting pg...

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 05:54 PM

i mean, at that price why not? and he is blocking ebanks.

i was more thinking amnesty metta/blake, trade the other, decline hill. would that not get the job done? i don't do math on sundays.

Chronz
04-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Smart move, lakers gonna pay up

SaimuKala
04-15-2012, 06:46 PM

Dwill
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Dwight Howard

lol

sunsfan88
04-15-2012, 07:04 PM
I think the Lakers will amnesty someone if that is needed to resign Sessions.

DCB/LAL
04-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Bird rights are traded with the player.. you think LA was gonna trade Odom and gasol for CP3 without getting his bird rights?

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 07:32 PM
The Lakers can not afford him if he hits the open market. They are already $7-8 million over the cap for next year.

wrong

lakers have his bird rights

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 07:32 PM

wrong

lakers have his bird rights

edit... if you are talking about Dwil never mind :D

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Bird rights don't move via trade dude. Do they? I didn't think they did. I also thought a restricted FA's who signed a one year deal can veto a trade because it will kill their Bird rights.

they have sessions bird rights

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 07:35 PM

wrong...

you obviously have no understanding of the CBA let alone what the lakers "did" at the trade deadline :facepalm:

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 07:36 PM
So the Lakers, who traded Odom for nothing to move his salary before the huge penalty hits came, are now going to sign an average starting PG to a lucrative deal, putting them right back in that position?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 07:37 PM
they have sessions bird rights

yes, I understand that now thank you.

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 07:47 PM
they cant even resign sessions since he's unrestricted. No way he turns down a 4 mill player option just to resign with them for the MLE. I think sessions is gone next season.

wrong

can't believe the nba forum is so ill informed

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 07:48 PM

Wow... you have no clue when it comes to the cba :facepalm:

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 07:50 PM
So the Lakers, who traded Odom for nothing to move his salary before the huge penalty hits came, are now going to sign an average starting PG to a lucrative deal, putting them right back in that position?

they can shed most of the cap in aforementioned ways and not lose that much talent.

odom was redundant; sessions fills a crucial need.

average? by whose estimation? his per for the year is above average, his numbers as a starter are better than that. he's played very well.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Wow... you have no clue when it comes to the cba :facepalm:

and you can't smell sarcasm...

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 07:51 PM
they can shed most of the cap in aforementioned ways and not lose that much talent.

odom was redundant; sessions fills a crucial need.

average? by whose estimation? his per for the year is above average, his numbers as a starter are better than that. he's played very well.

I know he has played well. Average is your 11-20 range. Does Sessions not fit that mold? I should have said average starter obviously, but I left that part out.

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 07:52 PM

Again, terrible assumption on your part... like i said early in this thread

4 year deal starting at $6 million with escalators and an eto after year 2 is all he will get...

who is under the cap that can sign him for more than that?

People really have no clue how restricitve the new cba is going to be moving forward

Kevj77
04-15-2012, 07:54 PM

Doesn't make much sense to me.Yes, I don't think the Odom trade has any impact on the decision to resign Sessions. It will depend on how much he wants of course. Lakers are in cap hell as long as they have Kobe, Pau and Bynum on the same team. Might as well try to win now. There will be a rebuilding process coming in a few years.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Again, terrible assumption on your part... like i said early in this thread

4 year deal starting at $6 million with escalators and an eto after year 2 is all he will get...

who is under the cap that can sign him for more than that?

People really have no clue how restricitve the new cba is going to be moving forward

I understand exactly how restrictive it will be. But for a team so far over the cap, are the Lakers willing to take on the penalties coming? They can shed some salary after next season, sure.

There are a handful of teams that are able to sign him for more. Dragic will get a better deal than Sessions, so it limits overall what he can command in the open market. I understand that if the Lakers want one last shot, they will absorb the harsh penalties coming in the next couple of years, and will pay Sessions. But they CLAIMED that the Odom move was for financial reasons, right? It seems not with a signing of Sessions at $6-7 million a year.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Yes, I don't think the Odom trade has any impact on the decision to resign Sessions. It will depend on how much he wants of course. Lakers are in cap hell as long as they have Kobe, Pau and Bynum on the same team. Might as well try to win now. There will be a rebuilding process coming in a few years.

I understand that is their goal. Bynum is their future, and they are going all in over the next 2 years to put forth a championship team.

Bin Laden
04-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Straight beast like me

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 08:00 PM
I know he has played well. Average is your 11-20 range. Does Sessions not fit that mold? I should have said average starter obviously, but I left that part out.

yeah. it's just such a talented field of point guards.

paul, rose, rondo, westbrook, nash, williams and parker imo are all elite players (lets leave the rondo debate out of this, just my opinion and he's better than sessions either way)

then you have guys like lawson, jennings, curry, lowry, and this year sessions, irving, rubio and dragic have added their names to the conversation. lotta talent. his play, in terms of talent and production, has been well above average. rank-wise, in this era of the league, that seems to be average for his position. weird.

KnicksSoxFan69
04-15-2012, 08:00 PM

D Will
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Dragic
Jeremy Lin
Ray Felton
Ramon Sessions
Aaron Brooks
Kirk Hinrich
Andre Miller
Chauncey Billups

Great? Kirk, Billups, Miller, Brooks, Sessions, Dragic and Kidd are only about avg.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Great? Kirk, Billups, Miller, Brooks, Sessions, Dragic and Kidd are only about avg.

I HATE small sample sizes, but Dragic has played himself into big money in Lowry's absence.

John Walls Era
04-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Dragic is fantastic. Not sure if Nash has anything to do with it, but he has not always looked this good (maybe more minutes now, but even in short spurts hes looked great).

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 08:15 PM
I understand exactly how restrictive it will be. But for a team so far over the cap, are the Lakers willing to take on the penalties coming? They can shed some salary after next season, sure.

There are a handful of teams that are able to sign him for more. Dragic will get a better deal than Sessions, so it limits overall what he can command in the open market. I understand that if the Lakers want one last shot, they will absorb the harsh penalties coming in the next couple of years, and will pay Sessions. But they CLAIMED that the Odom move was for financial reasons, right? It seems not with a signing of Sessions at $6-7 million a year.

handful of teams? Who? Anyone over the cap including cap holds can only sign him for the full mle which is less than $6 million per year... give me 1 team that is under the cap that is gonna beat a laker $6 million deal by over $1 million because that is what it would take for him to leave the best situation he has ever been in...

As for the Lakers... as it stands right now if everyone stays and sessions is signed for $6 million their total payroll only goes up $1.5 million year over year which can be more than offset by not extending a QO to jordan hill

Sessions ain't going anywhere unless the Lakers want him gone which is highly unlikely

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 08:17 PM
handful of teams? Who? Anyone over the cap including cap holds can only sign him for the full mle which is less than $6 million per year... give me 1 team that is under the cap that is gonna beat a laker $6 million deal by over $1 million because that is what it would take for him to leave the best situation he has ever been in...

As for the Lakers... as it stands right now if everyone stays and sessions is signed for $6 million their total payroll only goes up $1.5 million year over year which can be more than offset by not extending a QO to jordan hill

Sessions ain't going anywhere unless the Lakers want him gone which is highly unlikely

For Sessions? Sure, I doubt anyone offers $7 million or more a year for him. That would be grossly overpaying for him.

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 08:18 PM
I HATE small sample sizes, but Dragic has played himself into big money in Lowry's absence.

Love Dragic and he has played well but what is "big money" ?

Again, it takes two to tango and i just can't see a guy like him getting much more than the full mle

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Love Dragic and he has played well but what is "big money" ?

Again, it takes two to tango and i just can't see a guy like him getting much more than the full mle

I predict he gets more than the midlevel dude. That being said, this will be the first offseason where we really see the restrictive nature of the new CBA. But I still think he gets top 10 PG money from one of the teams under the cap.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 08:21 PM
or hell, trade Lowry and re-sign Dragic for $6-7 million.

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 08:28 PM
For Sessions? Sure, I doubt anyone offers $7 million or more a year for him. That would be grossly overpaying for him.

yeah... he is in a good situation and he is really probably looking for more guaranteed years than a big salary... he can have the best of all worlds if he gets an eto with the Lakers because they will be able to pay him more once kobe's contract is done thats why he will push hard for a 4 year deal with an eto after 2 years

As for the Lakers, assuming they go out in the second round, it is almost a certainty that gasol will be moved for multiple pieces to reduce salary. Probably along with blake so they don't have to use the amnesty on blake

LakersMaster24
04-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Dallas fan making a thread about Lakers player...:laugh:

Dont worry about the Lakers future/present. Especially after todays game, its your team that you need to worry about.

Mcdoh
04-15-2012, 08:37 PM
lakers will re-sign him.. probably he'll decline the option to have a new contract long term deal with the lakers..

THE MTL
04-15-2012, 08:44 PM
If Sessions has a strong playoff performance, I can def see the Lakers being outbid. I wonder what kind of deal would lock up Sessions? 7 mil per year?

Jenceman
04-15-2012, 08:45 PM

Sessions numbers ain't average.

13.1 PPG
7.1 APG
4.0 RPG
0.8 SPG
2.7 TOPG
49.3 FG%
51.9 3P%
19.0 PER
.172 WS/48
116 O-Rating

In 17 games as a Laker. His numbers as a starter are even better, since the first 4 games he came off the bench. Sample size? Sure, but he played like this in Cleveland, especially when given the minutes. His biggest improvement this season has been becoming a knockdown 3 point shooter.

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 08:49 PM
I predict he gets more than the midlevel dude. That being said, this will be the first offseason where we really see the restrictive nature of the new CBA. But I still think he gets top 10 PG money from one of the teams under the cap.

the only teams that will be pushing for PG's will probably be

Dallas - assuming the don't get deron
NJ - assuming they lose deron
PHX - assuming they lose nash... although brooks will potentially be back

Possible teams that need PG's but don't spend money

ATL
DET
Portland
Sacto

To me there just aren't alot of matches out there to get a guy a big salary

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Sessions numbers ain't average.

13.1 PPG
7.1 APG
4.0 RPG
0.8 SPG
2.7 TOPG
49.3 FG%
51.9 3P%
19.0 PER
.172 WS/48
116 O-Rating

In 17 games as a Laker. His numbers as a starter are even better, since the first 4 games he came off the bench. Sample size? Sure, but he played like this in Cleveland, especially when given the minutes. His biggest improvement this season has been becoming a knockdown 3 point shooter.

Sessions is an average starting PG. I will say it again. But hell, that is a huge upgrade for the Lakers compared to earlier in the year.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 08:54 PM
the only teams that will be pushing for PG's will probably be

Dallas - assuming the don't get deron
NJ - assuming they lose deron
PHX - assuming they lose nash... although brooks will potentially be back

Possible teams that need PG's but don't spend money

ATL
DET
Portland
Sacto

To me there just aren't alot of matches out there to get a guy a big salary

I will guess Portland creates space to offer him $6-7 million a year starting.

LakersA's49ers
04-15-2012, 09:01 PM
i sure hope not. losing him would be sad, even though he hasnt been here long

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 09:11 PM
I will guess Portland creates space to offer him $6-7 million a year starting.

i guess they could but is sessions really an upgrade over felton? felton has played pretty well since mcmillan left...

they also have to sign batum to a big deal and have a bunch of other priorities to address...

nolafan33
04-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Yes, he will opt out and likely resign with the Lakers.

Part of the dumb cap rules.

Jenceman
04-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Sessions is an average starting PG. I will say it again. But hell, that is a huge upgrade for the Lakers compared to earlier in the year.

Anything to back it up? That looks like top ten PG numbers to me.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 09:32 PM
i guess they could but is sessions really an upgrade over felton? felton has played pretty well since mcmillan left...

they also have to sign batum to a big deal and have a bunch of other priorities to address...

woops, I meant Dragic. I think the Blazers create space for him. Easily.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 09:35 PM

again, slim sample size. Sessions is what I would consider an average starting PG. Would you take him over Ricky Rubio for example? Cause he is as average as you get in his first year.

Vinylman
04-15-2012, 11:02 PM
woops, I meant Dragic. I think the Blazers create space for him. Easily.

yeah.. dragic i could see

I wonder if dragic is still thinking about heading back to europe as was reported earlier this year... i don't know how contracts work over there but could he make $7-8 million?

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 11:06 PM
yeah.. dragic i could see

I wonder if dragic is still thinking about heading back to europe as was reported earlier this year... i don't know how contracts work over there but could he make $7-8 million?

nah, but his money would be tax free. He is playing for a great NBA deal right now, no doubt.

Jenceman
04-16-2012, 01:07 AM
again, slim sample size. Sessions is what I would consider an average starting PG. Would you take him over Ricky Rubio for example? Cause he is as average as you get in his first year.

I'd take him over Rubio right now. But Rubio no question for the future. Rubio is a special developing talent. However, Sessions is the better player right now. He was before he came to the Lakers.

However, maybe our goalposts are just different. You talk average, I say they are both above average players. Even "good". There's what 400 players in the NBA?

DragonJaii
04-16-2012, 01:12 AM
nets going to throw money at him to replace deron

JJ_JKidd
04-16-2012, 01:55 AM

D Will
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Dragic
Jeremy Lin
Ray Felton
Ramon Sessions
Aaron Brooks
Kirk Hinrich
Andre Miller
Chauncey Billups

They did not trade Fisher so that they can get older with Kidd. :cool:

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Sessions has something that not a lot of point guards in this league have...

POISE & PATIENCE.

CoffeeJanitor
04-16-2012, 03:33 AM
I'd take him over Rubio right now. But Rubio no question for the future. Rubio is a special developing talent. However, Sessions is the better player right now. He was before he came to the Lakers.

However, maybe our goalposts are just different. You talk average, I say they are both above average players. Even "good". There's what 400 players in the NBA?Nah. The Wolves have a player in Ridnour who offers similar production to Sessions, and Rubio blows Rid out of the water in terms of impact (I like Rid's game, too). Rubio runs the offense extremely well and on top of that is a top tier defender.

Sessions is an average starter. I think that Laker fans are just seeing such a huge difference now as they had been getting crap production for years.

Lake_Show2416
04-16-2012, 03:50 AM
idk whether Sessions bird rights was in the trade but if not but the Lakers have the $8.9 mill TPE that can b used to give Sessions a bigger contract

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-16-2012, 03:51 AM
idk whether Sessions bird rights was in the trade but if not but the Lakers have the $8.9 mill TPE that can b used to give Sessions a bigger contract

Don't think it works that way. 8.9M Traded Player Exemption can only be used in a TRADE, not in free agency re-signings.

DPineda85
04-16-2012, 04:41 AM
I don't know if the Lakers will resign Session or not. One would assume they will. Otherwise they wouldn't trade fisher plus two picks, regardless of cap situation. If they don't, then it is because they will go after a different pg, either via fa or trade. Without sessions they'd be left with blake as their only pg, possibly Morris.

thenaj17
04-16-2012, 05:22 AM
can a team under the cap sign sessions and then trade him to the lakers for their trade exception and a 2nd rounder+cash? To me it seems thats the only way they can keep sessions.

Lakers don't have the trade exception anymore. It expired in the last window.

thenaj17
04-16-2012, 05:28 AM

Especially with the lack of touches with Kobe, Bynum and Gasol all ahead in the pecking order. Sessions has played as well as we could have possibly hoped. We have to keep him if we don't get D-Wills and i'd rather keep Pau.

Eagles710
04-16-2012, 05:38 AM

i feel the same way actually... i cant understand when sessions become a good player to people, but maybe im not watching the same games as everyone else

Vinylman
04-16-2012, 09:11 AM

Wrong

The odom TPE is good through next December...

Additionally, contrary to what some are posting the Lakers have Sessions Bird Rights

RaiderLakersA's
04-16-2012, 11:49 AM
They did not trade Fisher so that they can get older with Kidd. :cool:

My thoughts exactly when I saw that list. There will be great PG talent available at season end, but for the Lakers that list gets trimmed because they'll want youth + great talent. Sessions did the right thing. It keeps his options open. It also keeps the Lakers options open.

Having said that, I think Sessions will be back somehow, someway. He has that look about him. Not everyone comes from a small market team to one of the biggest and brightest stages, performs fairly well, and just walks away. For years he could barely get off of the bench. Now he is in LA swimming with the big fish, errr, a Black Swan, a Beast and a Mamba! Toss in a little World Peace to boot. Who walks away from that?

The only way I see Sessions leaving is if someone throws a ridiculously high $$$$$ offer his way.

shep33
04-16-2012, 01:29 PM

They still have that until next December. Can use it in the offseason, on draft night etc.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2012, 01:54 PM

However, maybe our goalposts are just different. You talk average, I say they are both above average players. Even "good". There's what 400 players in the NBA?

Average starting PG. There are 30 starting PG's. Average falls in 11-20 for me. Sessions is in that group.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2012, 01:54 PM
no more are we going to see stupid money given out to average guys like Calderon, Conley, etc.

Vinylman
04-16-2012, 02:20 PM
no more are we going to see stupid money given out to average guys like Calderon, Conley, etc.

Yep...

People don't really understand how this new cba is gonna impact VET FA's

Max deals will even become more rare

RaiderLakersA's
04-16-2012, 02:43 PM

I thought the same thing when the NFL implemented its new stricter cap rules. Not so. Remember, in every league there is always a Front Office purse holder with more money and urgency to win now than brains. Maybe that should be the new thread: "Who will get more money than they deserve in the new FA, and who will get too little?"

Vinylman
04-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I thought the same thing when the NFL implemented its new stricter cap rules. Not so. Remember, in every league there is always a Front Office purse holder with more money and urgency to win now than brains. Maybe that should be the new thread: "Who will get more money than they deserve in the new FA, and who will get too little?"

nah... the nfl is totally different with a hard cap

you might see individual players get dumb contracts in the nfl but the total team salary has to be at or under the cap... not to mention there is a hard floor at 89% of the cap that can drive a player being overpayed in a given year but not over the long haul.

the nba is a soft cap and with most teams having **** revenues and the LT being so punitive the likelyhood of more than 6-7 teams being in luxury tax after 2013/2014 is almost nil

Salaries for vets will plummet this offseason but more importantly the amount of years on vet deals will go WAY down...

Lake_Show2416
04-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Wrong

The odom TPE is good through next December...

Additionally, contrary to what some are posting the Lakers have Sessions Bird Rights

that's perfect!