PDA

View Full Version : Charles Jenkins Records A Quintuple-Single

DenButsu
04-15-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm not posting this to bash. Actually, I really like Jenkins (I was pissed when someone in my fantasy league beat me to the punch in grabbing him off the waiver wire).

I do think the story is a little bit funny, but also interesting in terms of how rare the quintuple-single is, and the history of which players have "accomplished" the feat.

Charles Jenkins Records A Quintuple-Single

Yesterday against the Los Angeles Clippers, Golden State Warriors point guard Charles Jenkins recorded a most rare of feats.

He recorded 1 point,1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 steal and 1 block. That’s right, he achieved the elusive quintuple-single. Using basketball-reference’s game index, which only goes back to the 1985-86 season, only 6 other players have accomplished this mammoth undertaking.

The list of players Jenkins is joining is an illustrious “who’s who” of kind of serviceable but not really big men from the last 25 years.

You have Adam Keefe, best known for his non-exploits as a Utah Jazz, giving the 1993 Atlanta Hawks a whole lot of barely anything in a victory over the New Jersey Nets. In addition to the quintuple-single, Keefe also gave quintuple fouls in just 10 minutes of action. Apparently, he couldn’t handle Derrick Coleman.

There’s Pervis Ellison, who shockingly was still in the league in the 1999-2000 season. His 5×1 came in a mere 7 minutes of action in a 7-point loss to the Indiana Pacers. “Nervous Pervis” would only appear in 30 games for the Celtics that year.

William Bedford also makes an appearance. And I had never heard of him before in my life. With a career average of 4.1 points and little else, there may be a reason for that. But on one cold February night in Milwaukee in 1988, he etched his name into history with a 1-1-1-1-1 as his Pistons lost to the Bucks.

Delightfully amongst this cavalcade of spectacular play is Clemon Johnson. Perhaps best known as the stationary post which Hakeem Olajuwon abused for 49 points and 25 rebounds in the 1987 playoffs, Johnson should also be remembered for his sterling quintuple-single which propelled the Sonics to victory over the Suns earlier that regular season.

And now it’s time to get serious. These next two players are favorites of nearly every NBA fan: Jason Collins and Shawn Bradley.

The husky Collins gave New Jersey his last full measure to the Nets in a riveting 96-82 victory over Minnesota in 2002. Meanwhile, string bean Bradley laid it all out on the line as the Mavericks upended the Utah Jazz 88-81 toward the end of the 2005 regular season.

A few weeks later, Bradley was demolished by Tracy McGrady… Hardwood Paroxysm (http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2012/04/15/charles-jenkins-records-a-quintuple-single/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

xbrackattackx
04-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Dudes a really good back up at best.

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 11:09 AM
saw this. very funny. and i, too, like jenkins. he was a stud in college, definitely has a future as a combo guard in the league. he is jacked, bigger muscles in person than it would seem. dominated the caa.

great stat, though.

Iodine
04-15-2012, 11:21 AM
I was so sad when HP was hacked a few days ago, always love the narrative they bring

DenButsu
04-15-2012, 07:37 PM
I was so sad when HP was hacked a few days ago, always love the narrative they bring

Yeah it seems like they were able to recover everything and get it back up pretty quickly, though. But seriously, why in the hell would anyone hack a basketball site? Probably some bitter fan who thinks they're "haters" of his team, which if true, is really pathetic.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 07:48 PM
I liked Jenkins until he went Chris Paul on the Wolves last week.