PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo, Knicks Host Treyvon Martin's Family

SportsAndrew25
04-14-2012, 06:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7813432/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-welcomes-family-trayvon-martin-madison-square-garden

What do you guys think about this? Please be civil when discussing this.

smith&wesson
04-14-2012, 07:09 PM
he lost his sister last year and i beleive stat lost his brother this year. lets not forget no matter the outcome this is an innocent family who's lost a love one and its a nice gesture by melo and the knicks.

mjt20mik
04-14-2012, 07:21 PM
That video on the link with Smith and Bayless was actually one of the better videos i've watched from those two.

HoodedSB
04-14-2012, 11:05 PM
That was nice of him.
/thread

gotoHcarolina52
04-15-2012, 05:36 AM
"We are the New York Knicks, and when your son Trayvon died, our son died as well."

17 words.

Just 17 words is what it took to silence the locker room.

17 words to the mother of a murdered 17 year old.

17 words from the star player, #7. Melo.

Carmelo. Carmelo. Carmelo...spoke these eloquent words as the proud mother of Trayvon Martin, Sybrina Fulton, stood in the middle of the room. Beside her was Trayvon's big brother, Jahvaris, who looked on with incredible strength, the same strength he has shown since the day his brother passed away. Men stood in silence behind them. Amare. Baron. Tyson. JR. Steve. The entire team. Coaches huddled in the entrance way to watch. Trainers sat on the floor to witness. Carmelo delivered a tribute to this courageous woman and her son that was felt in every bone in every body that was in the room. Melo showed just how great of a man he is. Silence. There was a lot of silence. Silence that was felt in the heart. The stuff Sybrina talked about on Wednesday when the killer of her son was arrested. heart to heart. Melo to Sybrina.

This was suppose to be a private moment. A team moment. Something Carmelo and La La wanted to do. This was not for the media or a photo opp. But, as Maya Angelou said, ďThere is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." Not nearly the agony Sybrina, Tracy, Jahvaris and their family have gone through. But enough agony that I had to share this moment. A moment that changes lives. A moment that inspires others to stand up. A moment for Sybrina and Jahvaris to breathe. Deep breathes.

Carmelo and Sybrina just looked at each other and said thank you, thank you, thank you. We didn't stay for the game, but that moment will stay in my heart. A heartfelt and profound respect for Carmelo. Profound. Much bigger than championship rings or gold medals. Much bigger.

When we got back in the car, she looked down at the autographed jersey Carmelo had given Jahvaris, and turned to me and didn't say a word. A special silence. A heartfelt silence.

I Am Trayvon Martin. Carmelo wrote.
http://globalgrind.com/news/carmelo-anthony-trayvon-martin-sybrina-fulton-new-york-knicks-photos#ixzz1s6Fzhh2D

In New York on Thursday to speak with CNNís Anderson Cooper, the family of Trayvon Martin was surprised with an invite to Madison Square Garden from Knicks star Carmelo Anthony.

Anthony hosted Martinís mother, Sybrina Fulton, and his two brothers at the Manhattan arena. He met with them privately in the Knicksí locker room and posed for pictures before his team faced the Washington Wizards on Friday night. To avoid further media attention, the family did not stay for the game, according to ESPNNewYork.com.

Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony invited the family of Trayvon Martin to Madison Square Garden during their visit to New York. (AP Photo)
"(It was) a blessing, an honor," Anthony said of meeting the family after the Knicks' practice on Saturday morning. "We all know the tragedy that happened and just to get in a different space of mind right now, just bringing them to not even the game, but to the locker room in the back, meeting all the players, meeting the coaches. That was the easy part. We had no media there. It was just something that I wanted to do.

"I lost my sister last year, so I know what it feels like, even with his little brother. He didn't even want to come to the game, didn't even know what was going on. He wanted to go see 'The Lion King,' but just for them to be there, that meant a lot."

Anthony was one of many players who posted photos of themselves in hoodies as a show of support to Martin, a 17-year-old who was gunned down in what was allegedly a case of racial profiling on Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla.

Neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman recently turned himself in and faces charges of second-degree murder. He has repeatedly said he shot Martin in self-defense. A Seminole County judge found probable cause to continue the case and set a May 29 arraignment.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-04-14/carmelo-anthony-visits-with-trayvon-martins-family#ixzz1s6HA2s8m

Heartwarming move. Props to Carmelo and the Knicks :clap:

xbrackattackx
04-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Melo has a big heart, heard about him paying for some random kids surgery who couldn't afford it too. Solid dude. Love when sports athletes give back, and mean it.

xbrackattackx
04-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Love when sports athletes give back

You don't say?

theheatles
04-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Lala and Gabrielle Union deserve some more props, I don't think melo, wade and bron would have done anything in support of trayvon if it wasn't for them

BcEuAbRsS
04-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Its a very nice gesture and everybody feels for the Martin family... But its also ignorant to call it murder considering some lawyers suggest Zimmerman was acting in self-defense...

KnicksR4Real
04-15-2012, 11:38 AM
good guy.

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Its a very nice gesture and everybody feels for the Martin family... But its also ignorant to call it murder considering some lawyers suggest Zimmerman was acting in self-defense...

he's been charged with second degree murder, let's just leave it at that.

regardless of the case, his family has lost profoundly and it's great to see people/stars rallying around them in a genuine sense.

MELO 15
04-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Lala and Gabrielle Union deserve some more props, I don't think melo, wade and bron would have done anything in support of trayvon if it wasn't for them U must not notice what Melo has done before he even got married to lala, such as the facility in syracuse, and his camp for kids, this guy had always tried to give back, people like you always trying to discredit someone

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Melo has a big heart, heard about him paying for some random kids surgery who couldn't afford it too. Solid dude. Love when sports athletes give back, and mean it.
Yea the guy is actually an active Philantrophist (?)

Lala and Gabrielle Union deserve some more props, I don't think melo, wade and bron would have done anything in support of trayvon if it wasn't for them

Read above, he's been doing this for years.

BcEuAbRsS
04-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Charged means nothing... This thing possibly won't even go to trial if the judge doesn't think there is enough evidence...

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Charged means nothing... This thing possibly won't even go to trial if the judge doesn't think there is enough evidence...

stop stirring the pot. this isn't about the case, it's about the family that lost a son and brother.

Cubby
04-15-2012, 12:15 PM

Yeah every one of the witnesses say that the kid attacked him first.

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah every one of the witnesses say that the kid attacked him first.

please stop with this ish. not the place.

justinnum1
04-15-2012, 12:21 PM
You think a DA would charge someone with 2nd degree murder if they thought it would juts get tossed?:laugh: Some people are just clueless. They could have just charge him with manslaughter. 2nd degree murder is no joke, and you dont charge someone with it unless you have evidence. Get a clue people.

BcEuAbRsS
04-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Right cause people don't get charged all the damn time only to be found not guilty... Lets not act like there wasn't extreme pressure for these charges... Please don't argue law with me, kinda what I'm in school for... Get a clue...

coryd238
04-15-2012, 12:41 PM

Not really. Melo's done numerous charities before LaLa. Hell, he personally bought a handicapped Nuggets fan a $30,000 handicap accessible van just so he could have a life again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4215901

meloman1592
04-15-2012, 12:48 PM
I bet StoicCentury could still find a way to bash Melo on this

BALLER R
04-15-2012, 12:51 PM
People really arguing for Zimmerman. I mean we don't know all the details. But lets be real. You follow someone, your the only one with the weapon, you confront them. No matter what the results were you put yourself in that situation and then it's going to be called self defense. Give me a break.

MVP1
04-15-2012, 12:51 PM
This thread will get locked by the end of the day.

BcEuAbRsS
04-15-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm not arguing for anyone... Everybody is screaming for justice... As long as it isn't for Zimmerman...

nate2usmc
04-15-2012, 01:06 PM
People really arguing for Zimmerman. I mean we don't know all the details. But lets be real. You follow someone, your the only one with the weapon, you confront them. No matter what the results were you put yourself in that situation and then it's going to be called self defense. Give me a break.

Exactly. That is NOT standing your ground lol.

nate2usmc
04-15-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm not arguing for anyone... Everybody is screaming for justice... As long as it isn't for Zimmerman...

I just want the truth. The half cracker-half tortilla guy fleeing the country doesn't help his cause BUT when he did get death threats from the Black Panthers so it's understandable. I see this case resulting in a Casey Anthony verdict and lots of fires in Florida lol

C-Wick925
04-15-2012, 01:12 PM
OMG the one place i thought i was safe from this Trayvon Martin stuff was PSD...

(Not trying to say anything bad but being from metro detroit thats all ive heard for over a month and it quite annoying)

There was a beating around here a cpl weeks after the fact where it was "revenge" for Martin.. where something like 8 kids beat one for no good reason(May have killed him, But i dont pay that much attention).. But you dont hear that story all across america...

BcEuAbRsS
04-15-2012, 01:13 PM
I agree with you... Minus the racist comments...

theheatles
04-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Not really. Melo's done numerous charities before LaLa. Hell, he personally bought a handicapped Nuggets fan a $30,000 handicap accessible van just so he could have a life again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4215901

yes really...bron and wade have done good before too but lala and gabrielle pushed them into publicly supporting trayvon

raiderfaninTX
04-15-2012, 01:22 PM
You think a DA would charge someone with 2nd degree murder if they thought it would juts get tossed?:laugh: Some people are just clueless. They could have just charge him with manslaughter. 2nd degree murder is no joke, and you dont charge someone with it unless you have evidence. Get a clue people.

funny you say that, do you even know the case the judge in your pic was on?

Sometimes the state overcharges which is what they did in the last high profile murder case in Florida. You know the one that judge in your pic was on.

nate2usmc
04-15-2012, 01:29 PM
I agree with you... Minus the racist comments...

LOL I'm racist? You're the one feeling bad for Zimmerman :laugh2:

BcEuAbRsS
04-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Ur comments were... I just said I'd like there to be real justice... Never said I supported anyone but justice...

gotoHcarolina52
04-15-2012, 01:48 PM
:sigh: I had too much faith in PSD. Should have known this thread would turn into a childish cluster****

nate2usmc
04-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Ur comments were... I just said I'd like there to be real justice... Never said I supported anyone but justice...

Really? I thought making stereotypical jokes about any other race, other than about African American, was not considered racist :confused:

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 01:51 PM
:facepalm:

nate2usmc
04-15-2012, 01:56 PM
:laugh: I'm just kidding guys. I'm not racist. I make babies with women of different races. Seriously though, this case is gonna be bonkers.

Avenged
04-15-2012, 03:08 PM
The NBA Forum cannot handle topics like these, and this topic is best to have been put in the GD or Knicks forum.