PDA

View Full Version : Has LeBron declined since his Cleveland days?

CoffeeJanitor
04-15-2012, 04:25 AM
Honest question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YugeUMaviU

Just look at that video and tell me he isn't a bit slower now. I think that messes up his entire game. I know that his stats are still absurdly impressive this year but I don't think he's playing at the same level he was a couple years back on Cleveland.

Thoughts?

JOhnnyTHaJet
04-15-2012, 04:39 AM
His defense is leaps and bounds better than it was in Cleveland and his game is now more well rounded (besides the 3 ball).

Many can argue he is much better now, this all the while having Wade and Bosh as #2 and #3 options.

SportsAndrew25
04-15-2012, 04:39 AM
No he has not. He has had his highest career FG% this year. He shooting 53% from the floor.

smiddy012
04-15-2012, 05:13 AM
No he has not. He has had his highest career FG% this year. He shooting 53% from the floor.

lol, what a great argument! case closed!

naps
04-15-2012, 05:24 AM
He's significantly better than he was ever before.

surf and turf
04-15-2012, 05:30 AM
His defense is leaps and bounds better than it was in Cleveland and his game is now more well rounded (besides the 3 ball).

Many can argue he is much better now, this all the while having Wade and Bosh as #2 and #3 options.

He may be better now. And if he is it was no easy feat. It can't be easy to be the go to guy since you were 12 years old then suddenly be asked to compliment a team rather then the team complimenting you. I still think he is the go to guy but its not exactly the same.

3ballbomber
04-15-2012, 05:45 AM
lol of course your shooting improves when you run to a team who has Wade & Bosh. Things get a little easier when the attention you used to get on the floor isn't as intense when u team up with 2 other stars who get as much attention as you do :/

King my bum

bholly
04-15-2012, 06:13 AM
lol of course your shooting improves when you run to a team who has Wade & Bosh. Things get a little easier when the attention you used to get on the floor isn't as intense when u team up with 2 other stars who get as much attention as you do :/

King my bum

Of all the stupid arguments about these things, 'he isn't the best because he has good teammates' is the stupidest.

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 06:34 AM
SICK hook shot at the beginning.

no. this has been his best year.

edit: also reading the comments while listening is hilarious/sad. note when they were all posted.

PhillyFaninLA
04-15-2012, 07:18 AM

Method28
04-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Hahaha

basketfan4life
04-15-2012, 07:57 AM
He's significantly better than he was ever before.

No, he is not. By no means except for defence, whenever the subject is about one of lebron or wade, you love to exaggrate.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-15-2012, 08:14 AM
he's better than ever

close thread

CoffeeJanitor
04-15-2012, 08:21 AM
he's better than ever

close threadCan you make an argument instead of just stating absolutes? LeBron's athleticism has declined as he has added more and more weight onto his frame. He is no longer as agile as he used to be and cannot get his shot whenever he wants.

dnl123
04-15-2012, 08:29 AM
lol, what a great argument! case closed!

Um it actually is a great argument genius (clearly sarcasm). Unlike Kobe every other player measures part of their effectiveness by their FG% and when you're shooting 53% as a perimeter player you know you're doing something right.

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Can you make an argument instead of just stating absolutes? LeBron's athleticism has declined as he has added more and more weight onto his frame. He is no longer as agile as he used to be and cannot get his shot whenever he wants.

maybe, maybe MAYBE you could make an argument that he has bulked up, and if you have incredible eye sight you may be able to discern the difference between his speed in that video and now. but i doubt it.

more importantly, you asked if he had declined or not. faster, slower, fatter, skinnier, calf implants, just for men, rogaine, state farm, WHATEVER the difference is between that bron and this one, it's made him a better overall player on offense and defense. so who cares?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Can you make an argument instead of just stating absolutes? LeBron's athleticism has declined as he has added more and more weight onto his frame. He is no longer as agile as he used to be and cannot get his shot whenever he wants.

Declined is not the right word.

He just doesnt need to carry that much load like he did in Cleveland.

3ballbomber
04-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Of all the stupid arguments about these things, 'he isn't the best because he has good teammates' is the stupidest.
really? stupid? lol. "Good Team mates" is an understatement. He has elite team mates - unlike what he had in Cleveland. Wade imo is a top 3 player in the league. A player who has had so much attention and focus on the floor throughout his career, draped w/ 2-3 players when time and games matters most. You add another top 3 player into that line up as well as a top 10 PF all star player and you're going to have a much easier time getting yourself free for open and good looks while defenders scramble to cover the other two lethal threats in WAde & Bosh. Why do you think Lebron chose Miami? coz of the weather? It was an easier route for a ship......though his proving it to be more challenging that in really should be.

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 08:41 AM
really? stupid? lol. "Good Team mates" is an understatement. He has elite team mates - unlike what he had in Cleveland. Wade imo is a top 3 player in the league. A player who has had so much attention and focus on the floor throughout his career, draped w/ 2-3 players when time and games matters most. You add another top 3 player into that line up as well as a top 10 PF all star player and you're going to have a much easier time getting yourself free for open and good looks while defenders scramble to cover the other two lethal threats in WAde & Bosh. Why do you think Lebron chose Miami? coz of the weather? It was an easier route for a ship......though his proving it to be more challenging that in really should be.

cool story bro now where in there did lebron james morph into a less talented version of himself? and why are we talking about it? sitting you in between two morons doesn't make you any less of a moron yourself, for instance.

gilly
04-15-2012, 08:42 AM
I really wish Lebron had players that complemented him properly rather than this random jarring together of players. Not a shot at the Heat, just saying that if a team built around Lebron really well it'd be really fun to watch.

Holydiver
04-15-2012, 08:51 AM
I wish someone could determine his stats in only 4th quarters

3RDASYSTEM
04-15-2012, 09:40 AM
When you're as good individually as a LEBRON type when will you notice a decline in his game? its not like he sat the bench his first 3 yrs and just now took off, he been allworld since HS so he is who he is,regards of media hype or number of rings, do you really think a number of rings will make him 'greater' or 'better' individually than he is, funniest **** i ever heard is a ring validating a players 'game'

like i say about players you are who you are from day 1,media dictates a 'facade' of greatness to they liking

Type of players like him and AI will have to blow out a knee to see a decline

3ballbomber
04-15-2012, 09:51 AM
cool story bro now where in there did lebron james morph into a less talented version of himself? and why are we talking about it? sitting you in between two morons doesn't make you any less of a moron yourself, for instance.
You can't accurately judge ones talents when placed in a far easier playing environment. I'm not saying he has gotten worse or better, i'm merely saying the dynamics has changed for him to ultimately be judged within the environment he has comfortably placed himself in. In other words He has made it easier for himself to put up numbers/better %/win ball games by teaming up w/ Wade & Bosh.

So my point primarily was directed @ his better shooting percentage in a Heat uniform correlating to having all-star calibre players been given just as much attention - Something he was not used to as a Cavs. So If anything he should have improved in that aspect.

But as i say that yet we saw last season he was reverting to old habits, he was not able to capture a ring &not being able to handle pressures by disappearing when it matters (again). And currently still no go to move, no real improvements in his post game and we are still yet to see wether he has improved mentally in regards to being tougher when things truly count. Forget shooting percentages if he doesn't have the stones to finish triumphantly what's the use. I haven't even bagan to break down still why him and Wade have no real chemistry - proven by both players playing better when one is on the bench. There are more improvements than what you see on the stat sheets. Shooting % will obviously improve but there has to be more than that.

Sandman
04-15-2012, 09:59 AM
dont get carried away.

he has a teammate (1) that is equally capable of being dominant attacking with the ball

3ballbomber
04-15-2012, 10:07 AM
regards of media hype or number of rings, do you really think a number of rings will make him 'greater' or 'better' individually than he is, funniest **** i ever heard is a ring validating a players 'game'

But if he is that 'GREAT' as most of his fans say he is then why has he not been able to be successful in acquiring a ring for his teams!?!? surely a 'Great' player can achieve this for his team.

And if we;re talking about the best 'Individual' player in the league then who really gives a rats arse - Basketball is a team sport >>> hence why Miami failed last year having weaknesses in the 1 and 5 spot and having no bench. The 'Team' had many holes.

What's the use of the best 'Individual' player when that can't get the monkey of your back? i don't know about you but i think hero's and great players and even the best 'individually gifted' player in the league should be able to attain a title w/ their greatness. what makes Lebron a unique case to others like Barkley, Drexler etc. is the hype, the embracing of being King and great and the self worship. If you take all that on you must be prepared to deliver, not just win mere reg season and all star trophies but the one most covet the most - A CHAMPIONSHIP!!

seriously sick of all this wack ish about Lebron being great regardless of titles. No.......if you take on and embrace all the names that glorify you, the worship and hype you must also show and prove that you can achieve the apex of all success in the league.

Mishmin
04-15-2012, 10:14 AM
No he hasn't declined.

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 10:14 AM
You can't accurately judge ones talents when placed in a far easier playing environment. I'm not saying he has gotten worse or better, i'm merely saying the dynamics has changed for him to ultimately be judged within the environment he has comfortably placed himself in. In other words He has made it easier for himself to put up numbers/better %/win ball games by teaming up w/ Wade & Bosh.

So my point primarily was directed @ his better shooting percentage in a Heat uniform correlating to having all-star calibre players been given just as much attention - Something he was not used to as a Cavs. So If anything he should have improved in that aspect.

But as i say that yet we saw last season he was reverting to old habits, he was not able to capture a ring &not being able to handle pressures by disappearing when it matters (again). And currently still no go to move, no real improvements in his post game and we are still yet to see wether he has improved mentally in regards to being tougher when things truly count. Forget shooting percentages if he doesn't have the stones to finish triumphantly what's the use. I haven't even bagan to break down still why him and Wade have no real chemistry - proven by both players playing better when one is on the bench. There are more improvements than what you see on the stat sheets. Shooting % will obviously improve but there has to be more than that.

won't argue the mental aspect. but no, playing around better talent doesn't diminish his improvements.

he has refined his offensive game to become so efficient as a scorer that i really don't care about his post game, or a "go to" move. he has stopped shooting threes (too much imo) and it has helped raise his over fg%. the biggest difference is on the other end of the floor, where he has probably been the most dominant wing defender in the league or certainly has the capacity to be.

he is a top 2 player on both ends of the floor, and that wasn't true of any of his years in cleveland. miamis struggles -- you touched on them. bench, chemistry, lack of size ... and yes some questionable crunch time production. these are the things that will kill miami. but it's not because lebron has stalled or declined as a player. totally different circumstances.

edit: no one is saying he doesn't have postseason questions to answer....just that it doesn't make the empirical evaluation of his game one bit different.

Method28
04-15-2012, 10:21 AM
@coffeejanitor...

Lebrons athleticism has declined?

Tell that to John Lucas III.

What could he do before....jump over a whole team?

thawv
04-15-2012, 10:22 AM
He's better!

knicks4life33
04-15-2012, 10:36 AM
You guys don't know anything about basketball if you don't think lebron has declined from Cleveland !!! His hairline of courseeee

ghettosean
04-15-2012, 10:38 AM

King my bum
Agreed I think people forget in Cleveland he was the target. Playing with Bosh and Wade takes huge weights off his back. Since he's not getting all of the attention a franchise player of his caliber should get on the court of course he's gonna play better.

That's a no brainier to me!

As for is LBJ player worse or not well all I can say is he took a terrible Cavs team to a #1 seed in his last year there and he can't get this Miami squad past a #2 seed. His individual play has improved but looking at what his play has translated in the win column for his squad he's declined (just a smidge).

Someone please tell me why they shouldn't be a #1 seed this year or last I'd love to hear the arguement.

Ill21
04-15-2012, 10:48 AM
This is the best I have ever seen him. Scoring very efficiently and has become an elite defender

theheatles
04-15-2012, 10:50 AM
he's peaking, he basically better in every aspect of the game of basketball since cleveland

thekmp211
04-15-2012, 10:53 AM
this isn't about the playoffs, or his teammates. its about evaluating one individual players individual talents. end of story. if you want to talk lebron being clutch, please go post in any thread regarding that issue from at least a year ago.

IndiansFan337
04-15-2012, 10:55 AM
No, he's still just as good....If not better. The only difference is that he is now more passive, when playing alongside D-Wade.

In Cleveland he wasn't passive ever, nor could he afford to be if he hoped to win.

ModernDaySavage
04-15-2012, 11:08 AM
No, he's still just as good....If not better. The only difference is that he is now more passive, when playing alongside D-Wade.

In Cleveland he wasn't passive ever, nor could he afford to be if he hoped to win.

Pretty much sums it up, he doesn't have to play in his max gear in order to win.

You should at least wait until playoffs to ask this, I believe there will be a noticeable difference.

Teeboy1487
04-15-2012, 11:11 AM
He is much, much better now. He is still as athletic and now he is a premier defender in the league.

j11430
04-15-2012, 11:17 AM

This. He's not the exciting one man show that he was in Cleveland anymore. But he is much better all around. Now if he could just get those fourth quarters figured out....

Lakeshow24KB
04-15-2012, 11:32 AM
dont get carried away.

he has a teammate (1) that is equally capable of being dominant attacking with the ball

In your sig, you have it backwards. It's not 1, not 2, not 3, etc...

justinnum1
04-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Agreed I think people forget in Cleveland he was the target. Playing with Bosh and Wade takes huge weights off his back. Since he's not getting all of the attention a franchise player of his caliber should get on the court of course he's gonna play better.

That's a no brainier to me!

As for is LBJ player worse or not well all I can say is he took a terrible Cavs team to a #1 seed in his last year there and he can't get this Miami squad past a #2 seed. His individual play has improved but looking at what his play has translated in the win column for his squad he's declined (just a smidge).

Someone please tell me why they shouldn't be a #1 seed this year or last I'd love to hear the arguement.

In the regular season, depth is most important and miami is the least deep...

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-15-2012, 11:49 AM
He's better as a player, but he's not exciting to watch now than he was in his Cleveland days. Plus, The Q was rocking few yrs back, it's annoying watching LeBron play in the Heat arena with the annoying PA announcer guy. The Cavs PA announcer was way more gangsta with his deep voice. The whole aura of LeBron James was better in Cleveland than in Miami.

willabeast77
04-15-2012, 11:50 AM
If he were to shoot the same amount of times as he did in Cleveland, his ppg would basically sky-rocket. Look at his numbers without Wade in the lineup this season.

ghettosean
04-15-2012, 11:53 AM
In the regular season, depth is most important and miami is the least deep...
That's a good and valid point and I'll accept it because this will be a circular argument because the problem in Cleveland was that he never had a go to guy now he has 2 different go to guys (both that anyone in the league would die to have as there 2nd options).

Depth is important too as for what is more important for LBJ that's an up in the air argument so I'll retract the record statement I made about him not getting the heat to a #1 seed.

As for his stats though and why he's playing so well I'll stay on point with that dude gets no where close to the attention on the court that a franchise player of his caliber should get due to the other go to guys he has on his team (both franchise players on there old squads, Olympians and all stars... take your pick).

Getting the target taken off your back and having guys like that to take the heat off you while you are still the #1 option would make anyone in this league have incredible stats.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Physically/Athletically he has but he's compensated as he aged i.e better jump shot, post game etc.

raiderfaninTX
04-15-2012, 12:14 PM

according to the things you post Robert Horry is the GOAT

kntresistheheat
04-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Ummmm, He is having the best numbers in his career! Also, he has been doing amazing athletic stuff on the court. I dont know why some of you were saying that he lost anything when he is entering his prime. Like some of the posters has said, that he not a one man show and he can be really passive at times when when is on the court.

Marlin234
04-15-2012, 12:23 PM
This thread is stupid. He's having a MVP season and he's declining?

ghettosean
04-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Ummmm, He is having the best numbers in his career! Also, he has been doing amazing athletic stuff on the court. I dont know why some of you were saying that he lost anything when he is entering his prime. Like some of the posters has said, that he not a one man show and he can be really passive at times when when is on the court.

He is also having the least amount of attention on him as a #1 option and a franchise player in his career so this would benefit his numbers/statistics greatly.

Chronz
04-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Ive been saying the same thing, hes less quick in the half court, he has countered this with impressive shooting but he doesn't trust his jumper in the clutch so your left with an elite shooter off the dibble who still thinks he should attack the rack in every situation.

Bron isn't that guy anymore, Durant and Rose are still able to blow by their defenders with their first step. Bron has never been that guy but he used to be quicker.

I'm going to look at all his iso plays the lsat few years and see how often he gets into the paint vs settling for jumpers.

As for the question, well up until a few weeks ago he was having his best season ever so I don't think its a matter of talent, maybe his stamina has declined, another sign of athletic decline, but hes a smarter player on both ends.

The only way I would say Cavs bron is better is if James can't perform in the playoffs, specifically in the half court.

Chronz
04-15-2012, 01:27 PM

He is also having the least amount of attention on him as a #1 option and a franchise player in his career so this would benefit his numbers/statistics greatly.
Link?

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Ive been saying the same thing, hes less quick in the half court, he has countered this with impressive shooting but he doesn't trust his jumper in the clutch so your left with an elite shooter off the dibble who still thinks he should attack the rack in every situation.

Bron isn't that guy anymore, Durant and Rose are still able to blow by their defenders with their first step. Bron has never been that guy but he used to be quicker.

I'm going to look at all his iso plays the lsat few years and see how often he gets into the paint vs settling for jumpers.

As for the question, well up until a few weeks ago he was having his best season ever so I don't think its a matter of talent, maybe his stamina has declined, another sign of athletic decline, but hes a smarter player on both ends.

The only way I would say Cavs bron is better is if James can't perform in the playoffs, specifically in the half court.

Where can you find his iso plays?

Rain 816
04-15-2012, 01:41 PM

King my bum

so u would still think like that if Lebron and Bosh went to Chi 2 yrs ago right.....stop hating on that man

kozelkid
04-15-2012, 01:43 PM

Exactly. :nod:

It's simple human physiology. He's 27 years old. I hope people here don't honestly expect a 27 year old to be near his peak physical condition as when he was a 20-24 year old.

Hell, Rose is already 23 and he, himself, has already talked about how he has lost 3 inches on his max verticle. Guys, there's a reason that in olympic sports that require pure athleticism like track and field or swimming, athletes tend to decline in that regard by age 24 or so.

This isn't to say he is a worse basketball player since as Chronz correctly pointed out, Lebron made up for it in other regards by improving his fundamental skills like shooting and defense awareness to an elite level. But from a physical standpoint, he obviously has declined somewhat since. Still, probably near elite in that regard, though, compared to most NBA players. If anything, Lebron needs to be given mad props for making the adjustment of improving his fundamentals and mantain himself as an elite player, much like guys like Kobe and MJ did instead of turning into **** as their athleticism left them like Tmac and Carter.

kozelkid
04-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Where can you find his iso plays?

Synergy. But you need a subscription for videos.

b@llhog24
04-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Synergy. But you need a subscription for videos.

Thanks man.

Berniemac23
04-15-2012, 01:53 PM
No he is better now would've been nice for him to stay in Cleveland though

mjt20mik
04-15-2012, 01:56 PM
no he hasn't. He just doesn't have to do it all anymore.

Cfrey
04-15-2012, 02:19 PM

lol this is false

k.smith904
04-15-2012, 02:22 PM
He may not be as agile as he was 5 years ago, but his game has certainly not declined.

He's the MVP for christ's sake!

Ebbs
04-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Not worth a rage since he's arguably having his best season ever no . . .

UPRock
04-15-2012, 02:27 PM
He's getting better every year, also remember that he's on a team with 2 other superstars, and sometimes he has to back off a little.

Sadds The Gr8
04-15-2012, 02:28 PM

agree with this

5ass
04-15-2012, 02:32 PM

i think it also has to do with him putting on some muscle. Not sure how much weight Lebron gained, but im pretty sure that he has put on a few pounds since then.

JasonJohnHorn
04-15-2012, 03:41 PM
He was the best player in the league then. He is the best player in the league now. In Cleveland he was expected to carry more of the load, so his numbers are going to take a dip with the likes of Wade and Bosh playing beside him, but he is as good as he's ever been.

beliges
04-15-2012, 04:00 PM
I would not say LBJ has declined. He was a top 2 player in his latter Cavs days. He is probably the best player in the game today. However, the problem with LBJ is that he has not improved the weaknesses in his game a whole lot. His game is still predicated on his supreme athleticism. He struggles in the half court set. However he, along with LBJ, are the best in the game today.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 04:01 PM
This is his best year. Top 2 player on both ends.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 04:01 PM
He was the best player in the league then. He is the best player in the league now. In Cleveland he was expected to carry more of the load, so his numbers are going to take a dip with the likes of Wade and Bosh playing beside him, but he is as good as he's ever been.

His PER GAME numbers have dipped, but his efficiency is better then ever, and his defense is second to nobody.

Forever35
04-15-2012, 04:14 PM
His hairline has declined and his headband size has increased... Oh my bad, I didn't realize it asked about his playing performance... Uh... no... he still is able to run down any breakaway and plaster it against the backboard...

His jumpshot has improved... He still gets to the rim like a beast... His fire and desire are still amazing...

He still hasn't found his main go to shot... I know he can do it all, but I think that's what gets him at the end of games... If the Bulls needed a 3, MJ always had a Paxon or a Kerr if needed... OR he would take it... If the Bulls needed a big basket, MJ already knew what he was going to do... It never seemed rushed, it always seemed to be the perfect shot... It even seemed that if MJ missed it, he was OK with his shot selection...

I think Lebron is still missing that decisiveness... He could take and make any shot, but when needed, unless it's a regular 3, he seems to be a little lost...

llemon
04-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Does he have a post (meaning inside back to the basket) game yet?

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 04:34 PM

yep. Only took him until his 9th season to get it.

llemon
04-15-2012, 04:51 PM

I'll be looking out for it.

Mr_Jones
04-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Why do you always have to ask me?

Rain City
04-15-2012, 04:54 PM
hes even worse in the clutch, everything looks better because he has more talented teammates so id say hes stayed the same.

CoffeeJanitor
04-15-2012, 05:23 PM
i think it also has to do with him putting on some muscle. Not sure how much weight Lebron gained, but im pretty sure that he has put on a few pounds since then.I liked the post you quoted a lot.

I think he has put on a lot of weight if you look at him a few years back and now. I suppose that's going to help him as he gets to be older in terms of having a longer prime by being able to take hits. Smart move, but it is certainly affecting his game a bit.

Now, if he can get a post game, he can actually utilize his huge size. He would be pretty much unstoppable if he was more consistent on the block. And no I don't consider his current post game acceptable.

kozelkid
04-15-2012, 05:30 PM

Only if you believe the media. He definitely had it last season and I think the season before as well based on his synergy numbers from the post. He's just using it more this season.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Only if you believe the media. He definitely had it last season and I think the season before as well based on his synergy numbers from the post. He's just using it more this season.

that is more or less what I was referring to man.

Master Mind
04-15-2012, 05:40 PM
The condensed season is a factor in everyone's game. Your muscles need rest

Chronz
04-15-2012, 06:35 PM
regarding brons weight, I heard Bron shed a few pounds this year. He is still really fast in the open court, but the halfcourt is where your teams usually need guidance

kozelkid
04-15-2012, 07:15 PM

that is more or less what I was referring to man.

Even so. The difference in his shot attempts is increase at around from 10 to 12 % to 14.5%. Do you think it's that much of a difference to say he didn't have that part of his game before?

E.O.21
04-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I wouldnt say he declined but he seems less explosive to me but idk

knicks4life33
04-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Ummmmm yeahhhh just look at his hairline ??

Kuya_Clive
04-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Ummmmm yeahhhh just look at his hairline ??

hahahahahahahahahah