PDA

View Full Version : Knicks better with STAT coming off the bench?

R0W
04-15-2012, 03:13 AM
I think melo is better without STAT cause he is being pressured into passing the ball because he has another star on the court. If Harden,Ginobili,Allen can do it why not STAT? All those teams are better with those great players coming off the bench.

NoahH
04-15-2012, 03:16 AM
Agreed

jimm120
04-15-2012, 03:55 AM
To a certain extent, yes.

I DO think that Stat needs to be on the court when Melo isn't. But not always.

If I were the coach, what I'd do is play Stat the first 6 minutes of the game and then sit him down. Melo continues playing. Then, bring him back with 1 minute left, when Melo sits. Have Stat continue playing until Melo comes back at the 8 minute mark. Melo plays by himself and then Stat and Melo are on the floor for the last 5 minutes of the 2nd quarter.

That's how the first Half would look like.

Melo and Stat would start the game together and finish the 1st half together. Inbetween, Melo would get 2 stretches of working alone (5 minutes in the 1st quarter and 3 minutes in the 2nd quarter) while Stat would get 2 stretches of playing alone (1 1/2 minutes in the 1st quarter and 4 minutes in the 2nd quarter).

problem solved?

I just don't think they should BOTH be out there at the same time always.

Raph12
04-15-2012, 03:59 AM
I think they're better without Stat period... But we'll see if Stat can play well off the bench should they put him there.

R0W
04-15-2012, 04:05 AM
To a certain extent, yes.

I DO think that Stat needs to be on the court when Melo isn't. But not always.

If I were the coach, what I'd do is play Stat the first 6 minutes of the game and then sit him down. Melo continues playing. Then, bring him back with 1 minute left, when Melo sits. Have Stat continue playing until Melo comes back at the 8 minute mark. Melo plays by himself and then Stat and Melo are on the floor for the last 5 minutes of the 2nd quarter.

That's how the first Half would look like.

Melo and Stat would start the game together and finish the 1st half together. Inbetween, Melo would get 2 stretches of working alone (5 minutes in the 1st quarter and 3 minutes in the 2nd quarter) while Stat would get 2 stretches of playing alone (1 1/2 minutes in the 1st quarter and 4 minutes in the 2nd quarter).

problem solved?

I just don't think they should BOTH be out there at the same time always.

I think STAT and Melo should be together on the floor when its the Last 8 minutes of the 2nd and 4th.

R0W
04-15-2012, 04:39 AM
I think they're better without Stat period... But we'll see if Stat can play well off the bench should they put him there.

He should be traded for a more defensive minded PF

CoffeeJanitor
04-15-2012, 04:52 AM
He should be traded for a more defensive minded PFNo one's taking dat contract

I agree it would help if he came off the bench, but we all know that would never happen

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-15-2012, 04:56 AM

he's untradeable

WickedBadMan
04-15-2012, 05:07 AM
I think a lot of teams would be better with this approach but egos get in the way.

John Walls Era
04-15-2012, 05:25 AM
With him gone probably. What a waste of money.

3ballbomber
04-15-2012, 05:35 AM
this

3ballbomber
04-15-2012, 05:37 AM
I think melo is better without STAT cause he is being pressured into passing the ball because he has another star on the court.
Same would w/ Lebron/Wade lol

knicks4life33
04-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Ummm no obviously since most of you aren't knick fans. When Woodson took over Knicks were 6 - 1 with stat in the line up before he got injured and was playin his best ball of the season. so don't give me he should come off the bench bull lol.

oak2455
04-15-2012, 10:38 AM
No one's taking dat contract

I agree it would help if he came off the bench, but we all know that would never happen

trudat Starbucks!!

OldSchool
04-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Stat coming off the bench is stupid. You play your best players. Should one of Lebron, Wade, Bosh come off the bench? No. Same applies here. Amare is NY's best PF and was actually starting to play extremely well right before he got hurt... Offensively and DEFENSIVELY! I just hope he's 100% when he comes back.

PlezPlayDKnicks
04-15-2012, 11:25 AM
I love when posters diagnose the Knicks off of highlights , box scores and a small sample size of nationally televised game.

justinnum1
04-15-2012, 11:43 AM
windhorst
Knicks are 12-4 playing without Amar'e Stoudemire and 19-24 with him in the lineup. He's out today.

kozelkid
04-15-2012, 11:49 AM

Na, they need a defensive hybrid forward. Josh Smith, maybe? A prime Marion would have been perfect. Of course, Amare and his contract is nearly untradeable.

KnicksR4Real
04-15-2012, 11:54 AM
STAT is a bum. He gets injured 24/7 and has the worst contract in the league. Bring his *** off the bench.

Greet
04-15-2012, 12:01 PM
windhorst

Interesting stat. Wasn't it the same thing last year with Melo?

TheNumber37
04-15-2012, 12:12 PM
If I was the coach. I would keep the knicks starting line up the way it is.
That first unit always sets a nice defensive tone and by the second quarter that unit can't score.
Imagine though, if the Knicks bench and 2nd quarter starting unit was:
Lin
Jr Smith
Novak
Amare
Jeffries

Splitting the teams that way could help the knicks get huge 20+ points leads going into the half.

shep33
04-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Stat needs to come off the bench when he gets healthy. Let him play the backup 5 so he can go to work on offense.

smith&wesson
04-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Its funny cuz melo went to new york to play with stat... and now he is realizing he is better when not sharing the ball with another star lol. so he shoulda stayed in denver then lol

honestly stat was way better when melo wasnt on the team as well. there's 48 mins in a ball game. they can essentially play 24 mins a game with out each other.

coach is going to have to figure it out

justinnum1
04-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I think melo went to NY under the premise of CP3 joining also. If CP3 was never going to go there im not sure melo would be there too

smith&wesson
04-15-2012, 12:36 PM
If stat misses the playoffs again due to injury it will be such a shame. we still dont know how these guys perform in the playoffs together.

smith&wesson
04-15-2012, 12:37 PM
I think melo went to NY under the premise of CP3 joining also. If CP3 was never going to go there im not sure melo would be there too

im not a melo hater. far from it.

but really ? the guy is very very ball dominant and so is cp3. does melo have the ability to play off the ball ?

TeamSeattle
04-15-2012, 12:40 PM
I would have Amare come off the bench for the first game but still receive more minutes than the person starting in front of him.

meloman1592
04-15-2012, 12:51 PM
First the Knicks are better wihout Melo now they're better w/o stat. They need both...the firepower us necessary for the MIA, CHI and BOS defenses

smith&wesson
04-15-2012, 01:11 PM
First the Knicks are better wihout Melo now they're better w/o stat. They need both...the firepower us necessary for the MIA, CHI and BOS defenses

Maybe you miss read the question. they are saying that melo plays better with out amare on the court at the same time. so would it be beneficial to the team to use stat off the bench in a 6th man role. its not like the knicks will be with out stat all together. just being used in a different way.

Chronz
04-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Its a shame they only have one Tyson Chandler, that way both of them could spend their time with them

smith&wesson
04-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Its a shame they only have one Tyson Chandler, that way both of them could spend their time with them

true. that guy fit really well with stat before he was traded. he can play off the ball very well. one of the reasons i really wanted him in toronto. he does a bit of everything and he doesnt need the ball in his hands constantly to be effective.

R0W
04-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Tyson is amazing just if he could get a hold of the rebounds instead of tapping them out and be more aware to receive passes.

blastmasta26
04-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Stat coming off the bench is stupid. You play your best players. Should one of Lebron, Wade, Bosh come off the bench? No. Same applies here. Amare is NY's best PF and was actually starting to play extremely well right before he got hurt... Offensively and DEFENSIVELY! I just hope he's 100% when he comes back.

Harden and Ginobili have been coming off the bench and they're among the 3 best players on their respective teams.

R0W
04-15-2012, 10:26 PM

Are you serious amare doesn't even have defense in his vocabulary.

OldSchool
04-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Harden and Ginobili have been coming off the bench and they're among the 3 best players on their respective teams.

I like both Harden and Ginobili but they aren't the same caliber players as Stat. Stat is having a down year but he was playing really well since Woodson took over. He was playing much better offensively and he was a force on the defensive end as well.

OldSchool
04-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Are you serious amare doesn't even have defense in his vocabulary.

I would agree with you in general... You must have not watched him after Woodson took over. He was defending and he was doing it well.

RonE Coleman
04-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Why is this even a thread? woodson has said THERE IS NO CHANCE AMARE COMES OFF THE BENCH... and it doesnt even matter its all about who finishes the game... start amare.. pull him after a few minutes, manage his minutes inbetween the game until hes healthy and leave him on to finish the game... not a hard concept to grasp

justinnum1
04-15-2012, 10:56 PM
The whole issue is when melo and amare have been on the floor, they arent that good together. Their offensive games dont mesh well and amare needs an elite PG to get the most out of him.

RonE Coleman
04-15-2012, 11:09 PM
The whole issue is when melo and amare have been on the floor, they arent that good together. Their offensive games dont mesh well and amare needs an elite PG to get the most out of him.

Ray felton is far from elite

OldSchool
04-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Why is this even a thread? woodson has said THERE IS NO CHANCE AMARE COMES OFF THE BENCH... and it doesnt even matter its all about who finishes the game... start amare.. pull him after a few minutes, manage his minutes inbetween the game until hes healthy and leave him on to finish the game... not a hard concept to grasp

Even if Woodson didnt say it... Why on earth would you bench Amare? So Melo can start at the 4 and Fields at the 3? :facepalm: Some of these guys on these forums are clueless.

justinnum1
04-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Ray felton is far from elite

Last year he played like a top 10 pg before he was traded.

quade36
04-15-2012, 11:19 PM

Well, they are kind of stuck with playing both unless they amnesty one of them which I can't see happening. So it is what it is. They'll just have to play together for the next X years.

DragonJaii
04-16-2012, 12:47 AM
he should come off the bench, knicks bench scoring needs help

JordansBulls
04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Do you want a guy making 20 million a year to be coming off the bench?

Bornknick73
04-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Tyson is amazing just if he could get a hold of the rebounds instead of tapping them out and be more aware to receive passes.

he has been tapping them out because of a fractured wrist. He has said so already to the NY media. He doesnt want other player whacking at his hands when he goes for contested rebounds so he taps them back for someone else to get it. You can tell by watching any of the films of him outside of this year.

Bornknick73
04-16-2012, 12:09 PM
I brought this same subject up in a thread regarding this some time ago.

My reasoning being, currently the Knicks have a very good thing going. We are playing very good defense and solid offense behind Melo. With Stat returning its another adjustment period, one too many so far this season.

Right now we are 13-4 since Woodson took over. Inserting Amar'e at this time will disrupt what we have regarding Melos production. The last thing the Knicks need right now is another adjustment period at such a crucial time in the season.

Do i think its a permanent solution? No way Jose. I love Amar'e and next year with training camp and such we can figure it out. But right now we cant disrupt what we have going. Melo is playing like the Melo we traded for and we cant deviate from this.

Our bench scoring has also been inconsistent. I feel with Amar'e coming off the bench as our primary scorer we are a better team at this moment and going into the playoffs. Amar'e can work off of shooters JR and Novak. And with Tyson on the bench he can dominate most any 5 in the east as well as have more room to work.

My theory is only regarding now. Just so as to not disrupt Melos flow. If we had Stat bringing his 20 + 8 off the bench we could possibly have won Sundays game. And we can compete with Miami. Our Big 1 vs thier Big 3 and we almost pulled it out.

The last thing we need after a season like this is another adjustment period. Tryng to work STAT back in to the starting lineup could discombobulate our whole team flow and direction.

Bring him off the bench just for the playoffs. Give him his 35 mins a game but try to keep him and Melo on the floor at different times. This way we always have a #1 guy on the floor at all times.

Next season we'll figure it out but the last thing we need going forward are more changes and adjustments.

new york blue
04-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Woodson has made it clear that STAT will return to the starting line-up. As the Miami game painfully revealed, the Knicks need a consistent second scoring threat in the starting line up. His contract is uninsured, which I think renders him untradable.

Stinkyoutsider
04-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Wow, I can't believe it's gotten to this point. Bring Amare off the bench?

I know Anthony is playing out of his mind right now but after watching him run out of energy at the end of the Knicks/Heat game, we should all agree that he needs help. I wouldn't rely on Carmelo putting up 40 point games a night, especially in the playoffs. I can't imagine that Anthony can't share the court and the ball with Stoudemire...

Tough situation if I were coach Woodson though. Anthony is playing great at the 4 and has is athletic enough to play at that spot. So, the real question is either Chandler or Stoudemire would have to sit if Anthony plays the 4. You have to play your best players so I would put Melo back at the 3 and solidify the rotation before the playoffs.

BklynKnicks3
04-16-2012, 01:09 PM
who knows when no1 saw stat come of the bench yet just see melo playin his game without him

R0W
04-16-2012, 07:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7821549/new-york-knicks-amare-stoudemire-back-return-week-source-says

STAT will be back friday or sunday good news for knicks fans.

Kashmir13579
04-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Stat and 'Melo looked like they were starting to mesh before he went down with the bulging disc.

R0W
04-17-2012, 07:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvojlRirYzk

Bringing up this idea on ESPN First Take