PDA

View Full Version : Mock-Trade Deadline Voting: (2) Lakers vs. (3) Mavericks

KH12
04-15-2012, 01:03 AM
This is a game we ran where users would take over the GM chair for a randomized team at the trade deadline to make trades with other users to improve their team. We then ranked the teams and seeded them accordingly, and now it's your part in the game where you vote to see who moves on.

Please do not vote only based on one of the teams or players involved being your favorite, but who you truly believe would win in a 7 game series. Thanks!

Los Angeles will have home court advantage in this series!

Lakers Depth Chart:
PG: Tony Parker(37)-Norris Cole(11)-A.J. Price
SG: Kobe Bryant(38)-Mickael Pietrus(10)-Lance Stephenson
SF: Gerald Wallace(35)-Sam Young(9)-Mickael Pietrus(4)-Chris Wright
PF: Kevin Garnett(36)-Udonis Haslem(12)-Dante Cunningham
C: Nene(35)-Udonis Haslem(13)-Solomon Alabi

Mavericks Depth Chart:
Kendrick Perkins - Ben Wallace - Jamal Magloire
Blake Griffin - Sean Williams - Brian Scalabrine - Juwan Howard
Andre Iguodala - Deshawn Stevenson
Manu Ginobili - Daequan Cook
Kirk Hinrich - Steve Blake - Royal Ivey - John Lucas III

Lakers Write-Up:
PG mathcup: Tony Parker vs. Kirk Hinrich:
This is the biggest mis-match of the entire series. Parker is playing on an MVP level this year, and will expose Kirk in every way possible. Kirk, while solid on D, doesn’t stand a chance against Parker, and will get abused up and down the court.
Advantage: Lakers

Wing Matchup: Kobe Bryant and Gerald Wallace vs. Manu Ginobli and Andre Iguodola:
This is a very intriguing matchup. Assuming Iguodola is on Kobe the entire game, Kobe will still get his points, as he finds a way every time. But, Gerald will be able to post up the tiny Ginobli on a consistent basis, giving me a huge mismatch on offense. Also, Ginobli has been injured the entire season it seems like, and is still not back to full force, so their wings are not as great of a threat offensively as one would think.

Big Matchup: Kevin Garnett and Nene vs. Blake Griffin and Kendrick Perkins:
The human highlight reel, Blake Griffin. While his dunks are fun to watch, his game features no other true threat, and his defense is very subpar. KG will be able to minimize his effectiveness on the offensive side, and KG will have his way with blake on the other side of the court, making the PF matchup just about even. Nene is by far a better player than perkins at this point, with perkins having a very limited offensive game, and an average at best defensive game, with all of his deficiencies being masked by Ibaka in real life. Nene will dominate Perkins on the offensive side of the ball, and with Nene needing constant defensive attention, will open up the lane for the likes of Parker and Kobe on the drive.

All in all, the Mavericks are a very talented team, but I just do not see them having enough offensive firepower, nor defensive superiority, to beat my Lakers in this series.

Mavericks Write-Up:
Though player breakdowns are pretty (well, mine isn't too much, but anyway,) I do urge voters to think of this matchup as one that takes place on a basketball court, not an excel sheet. Team matters, balance matters, breakfast matters, and depending on your view, mind over matters. Without further ado or excruciatingly unwitty humor, here you go, men.

PG: Kirk Hinrich - Steve Blake vs. Tony Parker - Norris Cole
Parker has played outstanding this year on his balanced Spurs team that allows him control of the ball, the pace, and most every possession. He cannot thrive in a backcourt next to Kobe, and it is that simple. It doesn't work. I am writing a rushed writeup (I'm cool), but I trust you (not really though) to be intelligent enough to see how this would not work. Kobe plays with talented players already and chucks up more shots than a wood chuck does wood. That was a crappy analogy. Anyways, I have the perfect defender in Kirk to counter Parker, were he to ever gain enough room in the paint to play effectively.

SG: Manu Ginobili - Daequan Cook vs. Kobe Bryant - Mickael Pietrus
Manu is better this year, it's not hard or difficult to see.
Here you go: http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=bryanko01&y1=2012&p2=ginobma01&y2=2012
This is without mentioning that Iguodala or Deshawn Stevenson will almost always be on Kobe.

Cook has started more than 20 games for the Thunder. He is a better three point shooter and defender than Mickael Pietrus, who hasn't been relevant for years.

SF: Andre Iguodala - Deshawn Stevenson vs. Gerald Wallace - Sam Young
Not a real comparison here, Wallace is deteriorated and overrated while Iguodala is the sole star of the Sixers and probably the leader (or second) for DPOY. He and Manu create, apart from defensive havoc, one of the most talented and diverse wing-combinations in the game, both able to score in many ways (efficiently), pass extraordinarily for their position, and rebound. Stevenson stopped Lebron in the Finals last year, and he'll play a similar role (three point shooter on offense) with Kobe this time around, when Iguodala or Manu don't already have him covered.

PF: Blake Griffin - A lot of people but mainly Brian Scalabrine vs. Kevin Garnett - Udonis Haslem
This is where I lost the voters. It just so happens that this comes in a time when "Fountain of Youth" and "**** Blake Griffin" are popular, so I don't expect too much here, but if anybody cares enough to analyze the games of these two power forwards, they will see (at least offensively) that it's not a close matchup.
Here you go: http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=griffbl01&y1=2012&p2=garneke01&y2=2012

C: Kendrick Perkins - Ben Wallace vs. Nene - Solomon Alabi
I have the defense and strength here, while LA has a good player who is better offensively than either of my centers, but not as good defensively and not much depth. Not much else to say here.

The Mavs sport starting representatives from the 1st, 2nd, and 4th placed teams in the West (OKC - Perkins, SA - Manu, LAC - Griffin) and playoff teams in the East (ATL - Hinrich, Philadelphia - Iguodala). 8 of the Mavs' 10 bench players played in at least the Conference Finals last season, and the other two have played in the Finals in the past. Four of my bench players have started a combined ~70 games this season. The Mavericks are a prepared, veteran bunch.

The Lakers too sport great talent, but it simply doesn't fit. They lack balance, don't have any floor spacing, and have too many ball handlers and too crowded a court. While this is a Mock, it is not a video game, and simply putting talent together incohesively will only lead to a talented chaos (see: Knicks).

Of course I feel that the Mavs are the better, more balanced team, both offensively and defensively. For all the talent that LA has, I don't feel they fit well whereas Dallas is far better suited to be playing together and against a team like the Lakers. 'Tis my opinion, as well as that of, I'm expecting around nine of you, and disagreement is welcome (and abundant, surely). I wish, though likely unnecessarily so, UTB luck - he formed a great team as GM.

LAKobeBryant
04-15-2012, 01:12 AM
in terms how the players in the line ups are playing right now this season its not even close lakers will win. even if you go by each position match up lakers win each and every single one of them

tony > kirk -obvious
kobe > manu -manu been really down this year and kobe is actually playing with a pass first pg
wallace > iggy - wallace improves the team defence overall instantly and iggy been playing bad after playoff
kg > blake - kg way better offensive player
nene > perkins - nene is playing solid same with perkins its 51-49 edge, nene good defender and rebounder and can score inside

Ebbs
04-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Lakers win but your reasoning is weird^ and backwards.

Ovratd1up
04-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Does anybody who has an opinion want to back it up? Or is basketball analysis not a big thing around here?

in terms how the players in the line ups are playing right now this season its not even close lakers will win. even if you go by each position match up lakers win each and every single one of them

tony > kirk -obvious
kobe > manu -manu been really down this year and kobe is actually playing with a pass first pg
wallace > iggy - wallace improves the team defence overall instantly and iggy been playing bad after playoff
kg > blake - kg way better offensive player
nene > perkins - nene is playing solid same with perkins its 51-49 edge, nene good defender and rebounder and can score inside

This is embarrassingly wrong, all of it. I beg you to provide some evidence, at all.

Sportfan
04-15-2012, 11:08 AM
i will give you iggy is better than wallace. wallace is the one having a down year, iggy is the best wing defender in the game

why dont you have iggy on kobe? i would have thought long and hard if you switched them. wallace/manu would be a mismatch but manu has lost a step defensively and i dont think he can keep up with kobe who still moves pretty well. iggy just seems wasted playing a guy who is their 5th option

But dude KG IS better than Blake. And even with Kobe's struggles it's the playoffs so you gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-15-2012, 11:11 AM
wow how is this Dallas team a 3rd seed.

This lakers team is so much better than the mavericks.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-15-2012, 11:12 AM
btw this dallas bench is the worst one I have seen yet lol

Ovratd1up
04-15-2012, 11:25 AM
i will give you iggy is better than wallace. wallace is the one having a down year, iggy is the best wing defender in the game

why dont you have iggy on kobe? i would have thought long and hard if you switched them. wallace/manu would be a mismatch but manu has lost a step defensively and i dont think he can keep up with kobe who still moves pretty well. iggy just seems wasted playing a guy who is their 5th option

...which is why you read the writeups. Even though Manu is stll a very capable defender, Iguodala will be on him. Manu will also play a lot with the bench unit, and Stevenson will guard Kobe.

But dude KG IS better than Blake. And even with Kobe's struggles it's the playoffs so you gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's lovely that you say that, I was just wondering if you had anything to back this up. I know everyone here feels the need to fit in with the anonymous virtual community of PSD by claiming that Blake is bad, but thus far I've seen nothing actually providing support for this. Meanwhile, Blake is busy being one of, if not the best, power forwards in the league. Trust me, I know it's unpopular.

You're gonna have to go through the same strenuous task of providing support for the benefit I'm expected to hand over to Kobe because popular opinion mandates it. Besides, again, this is a team game. Manu helps my team immensely, and I think Kobe not only doesn't help his as much, he probably even hurts it in many ways.

Sportfan
04-15-2012, 11:36 AM
you listed him at SF. your fault.

lol the popular thing to say? KG doesn't get enough credit. They have the same offensive PP at .98.....but KG KILLS him defensively .74 PPP to Blake's .88. KG is a amazing post defender and BLake isn't going lob city with him. There is not a chance in hell Griffin is stopping KG's bread and butter jumpers.

and your bench is terrible and stevenson getting big minutes is BAD BAD BAD. perkins can't play more than 30 at best so does this mean Ben Wallace is getting significant minutes. that's a disaster

Ovratd1up
04-15-2012, 11:59 AM
you listed him at SF. your fault.

I guess. I also just didn't accumulate as much talent and big names than the Lakers, so it's fine.

lol the popular thing to say? KG doesn't get enough credit. They have the same offensive PP at .98.....but KG KILLS him defensively .74 PPP to Blake's .88. KG is a amazing post defender and BLake isn't going lob city with him. There is not a chance in hell Griffin is stopping KG's bread and butter jumpers.

I actually agree that KG doesn't get enough credit, I like him. Blake is as a much better rebounder, as good a passer on a team who has no threats outside of CP3, and a much more talented scorer if you watch him - the thing about him relying solely on dunks or lobs is off-base. Shooting 54.5% at a high volume speaks volumes. (Sucking at the free throw line is much quieter, hopefully).

and your bench is terrible and stevenson getting big minutes is BAD BAD BAD. perkins can't play more than 30 at best so does this mean Ben Wallace is getting significant minutes. that's a disaster

My bench is a veteran bunch who understands how to play in these situations. I think I mentioned that they've also started some 70 games this season, compared to what I think are single digits for LA's bench.

Stevenson played a great role in shutting down Lebron in the Finals last year, and he can hit threes. If he can do that now with Kobe while Manu or Iggy sits, he'll be fine. Cook is also underrated on both ends, honestly. Besides, with Manu and Iguodala starting, I won't rely on my bench wings an awful lot.

For the role they play, my PG's and backup PG's are great.
Blake will be playing big, youthful minutes (think around 40), and given that Scal is my backup, I'm fine there. Especially if KG's old *** can pull 36, which will limit his defensive prowess.

Big Ben is playing 16 minutes a game this year, and he can still do a little defensively and on the boards. This is without bringing up the bench of the Lakers, which honestly needs as much defending.

Jamiecballer
04-15-2012, 01:30 PM
i'm genuinely surprised at how thoroughly the Lakers are winning this vote. imo there is not near enough ball for that lineup to be really successful.