PDA

View Full Version : Does Kobe make 1st team All NBA Now?

JordansBulls
04-14-2012, 10:16 PM
With the report that he may sit the rest of the regular season it would mean 10 games missed. Does Kobe still make 1st team All NBA Now?

Who can you put over him? Because Wade would have missed 12 games and Rose 24 games? Who would get 1st team all nba along with maybe CP3?

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/sessions-349257-bryant-lakers.html

Kobe Bryant, his injured left shin improving daily, walked into Staples Center on Friday without the protective boot he had been wearing, but that was the extent of his activity. The star sat out his fourth consecutive game because of the ailment and could miss more if the shin doesn't quickly show more improvement.
Lakers spokesman John Black said Bryant can walk without pain but has not tried running or jumping. There isn't any timetable for him to bump up his activity level, and he will have missed a week of games. It is possible Bryant will sit out the Lakers' final six games and return for the playoffs

last stand
04-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Kobes the leagues leading scorer. He belongs on the first team

justinnum1
04-14-2012, 10:21 PM

if wade took as many shots as kobe he would be the leading scorer

R0W
04-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Kevin Durant
Lebron James
Dwight Howard

Kobe takes to many shots imo

Greet
04-14-2012, 10:26 PM
CP3 obviously deserves the first spot.

I think #2 G spot should be between Wade, Kobe, Harden.

I know Harden pick is going to get some hate, but the dude has been a beast this year. He's shooting the ball extremely efficiently as well.

ManRam
04-14-2012, 10:27 PM
It's tough. Wade and Paul have been better players, but Wade has missed a lot of time. IDK. Wade has just been way better, games missed or not. I'd put Russy on the first team over Kobe too honestly.

And, "he's the league's leading scorer so he deserves it" is the stupidest logic I've heard in a minute.

SpaceJamJordans
Kobe

Cal827
Wade over Kobe

Maybe Westbrook

LakersIn5

and the heat wont be winning as much.

soundjunkies2
04-14-2012, 10:28 PM
It's debatable but he'll get it based on reputation alone.

kozelkid
04-14-2012, 10:28 PM
It's tough. Wade and Paul have been better players, but Wade has missed a lot of time. IDK.

And, "he's the league's leading scorer so he deserves it" is the stupidest logic I've heard in a minute.

I bet you he still makes it. Just like he somehow still makes defensive all first teams.

Idiocy knows no bounds.

R0W
04-14-2012, 10:29 PM
My money is on kobe being on the first team just cause he is kobe

AntiG
04-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Westbrook, Kobe, LeBron, Durant, Howard

shep33
04-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Mmm I think he deserves 2nd team, probably get 1st team for being the kobester though

justinnum1
04-14-2012, 10:33 PM
and the heat wont be winning as much.

Really? Wade is shooting almost 50%(.497)...

Chronz
Cp3

Mr_Jones

If Kobe were 19 feet tall, he could dunk from the 3 point line.

R0W
04-14-2012, 10:36 PM

???????????????

justinnum1
04-14-2012, 10:37 PM

Doesnt change the fact kobe's efficiency has been pretty bad this year.

And is certainly not deserving of a first team selection

AIRMAR72
04-14-2012, 10:45 PM
since kobe play for the lakers they find a way to put him on 1st team for something

Pakman
04-14-2012, 11:05 PM
CP3 obviously deserves the first spot.

I think #2 G spot should be between Wade, Kobe, Harden.

I know Harden pick is going to get some hate, but the dude has been a beast this year. He's shooting the ball extremely efficiently as well.I LOL'd hard at harden being mentioned. Even over westbrook?! Get Real.

JordansBulls
04-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Seems like Tmac was the last guy to win scoring title and not make 1st team which was in 2004.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-19-2012, 02:08 PM
he will make it, I'm pretty sure...even though he may not deserve it

3RDASYSTEM
04-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Is this a trick ?

he was allstar starter before starting on his own regular season team when he entered the league, so yea he'll pretty much make 1st team both squads off/def

Longhornfan1234
04-19-2012, 02:12 PM
I can't believe people are saying Wade is better than Kobe. :facepalm:

The Final Boss
04-19-2012, 02:14 PM

If my aunt had a **** she would be my uncle.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 02:14 PM
he will make it, I'm pretty sure...even though he may not deserve it

He's leading the league in scoring at age 33, and for the first time in 5 seasons. He's going to play the last 3 games of the regular season and will end up on the 1st team. He deserves it.

Wade has been hurt too much and rested too much this season for him to be a serious 1st teamer.

The Final Boss
04-19-2012, 02:15 PM
I can't believe people are saying Wade is better than Kobe. :facepalm:

Stick around the NBA Forum and you'll be amazed at the nonsense.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Seems like Tmac was the last guy to win scoring title and not make 1st team which was in 2004.

Maybe because that yr Orlando lost a franchise record 19 consecutive games and the worst record in the league that year at 21-61? :shrug:

Longhornfan1234
04-19-2012, 02:17 PM
First team:

CP3
Kobe

Second team:

Westbrook
Parker

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
First team:

CP3
Kobe

Second team:

Westbrook
Parker

Westbrook IMO has had bigger games than CP3 this yr despite sharing the rock with KD. I would pick Westy and Kobe as first teamers and CP3 on the 2nd team.

CP3 is averaging 9.0 APG despite having a talented team more than any team he had in NOLA, and there, he was on top of his game averaging 11+ APG in his sleep.

Baller1
04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
He'll make first team because he's Kobe, but he shouldn't be. I don't know if I'd even have him on the second team.

Baller1
04-19-2012, 02:20 PM
CP3
Parker

Westbrook
Wade

Then you have Kobe, Harden, Nash, and Rondo.

ryanj12344
04-19-2012, 02:24 PM

lol if kobe played with lebron james and chris bosh he would've swept dallas in the finals last year

Heediot
04-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Westbrook has a shot.

Heediot
04-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Westbrook IMO has had bigger games than CP3 this yr despite sharing the rock with KD. I would pick Westy and Kobe as first teamers and CP3 on the 2nd team.

CP3 is averaging 9.0 APG despite having a talented team more than any team he had in NOLA, and there, he was on top of his game averaging 11+ APG in his sleep.

I think you have some hidden agenda against Cp3. I'm surprised you missed all the dominant 4th quarters he's had this year especially within the last few minutes. His PER is top 3, what more can you ask for? Go ahead and spin and skew stats in favor of Kobe. He has had a brutal shooting year, not even top 5 in PER and doesn't even lead his team in win shares lol.

Sly Guy
04-19-2012, 02:34 PM
not even close. There is no way Kobe's on Wade's level this year.

Heediot
04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Cp3 26.55 PER 11.7 WS
Wade 26.44 PER 7.5 WS
Westbrook 23.17 PER 7.6 WS
Kobe 22.15 PER 6.1 WS
Parker 21.9 6.6 WS

To me I think Cp3 and Wade deserve it. Westbrook coming a close third because Wade has been injured so much.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 02:43 PM
I think you have some hidden agenda against Cp3. I'm surprised you missed all the dominant 4th quarters he's had this year especially within the last few minutes. His PER is top 3, what more can you ask for? Go ahead and spin and skew stats in favor of Kobe. He has had a brutal shooting year, not even top 5 in PER and doesn't even lead his team in win shares lol.

I wonder what guys used to gauge for best players in the league back in the day pre-John Hollinger era. :rolleyes:

You guys have become brainwashed with this PER crap.

Heediot
04-19-2012, 02:46 PM
I wonder what guys used to gauge for best players in the league back in the day pre-John Hollinger era. :rolleyes:

I agree that Hollinger is a tool and too mathematical. However, the PER stat is respected by the vast majority of Basketball experts.

Heediot
04-19-2012, 02:49 PM
LOL, Kobe is third on the Lakers regarding Win Shares.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
I agree that Hollinger is a tool and too mathematical. However, the PER stat is respected by the vast majority of Basketball experts.

First of all, I don't have a personal agenda against CP3. The guy is a flat out stud.

That being said, when it comes to PER and Win Shares, all I know is that in the Jordan era and the Kobe-Shaq era in the 2000s, PER and Win Shares never was really discussed among basketball analysts. Sure, they might have existed here and there, but it was never really given much importance during those golden days of the NBA. The whole statistical analysis didn't start to be honest until these new generation of players like Dwight, LeBron, CP3, Wade etc. started coming into the league and then all these new analysts started coming onto the scene (aka Hollinger) and started coming out with these statistical phenomenas that we as basketball fans never were really familiar with during the 90s and early 2000s of NBA basketball.

SaimuKala
04-19-2012, 02:54 PM
lol JaVale McGee has a higher PER than Chris Bosh does.

kdspurman
Kobe will likely make it. He's missed 7 games, but Dwight has missed games too. Don't see him not making it although Bynum could have a case.

Think TP should certainly have a case vs. just penciling in CP3 however. Same with Westbrook

kdspurman

Not surprising tbh.

Heediot
04-19-2012, 02:55 PM
First of all, I don't have a personal agenda against CP3. The guy is a flat out stud.

That being said, when it comes to PER and Win Shares, all I know is that in the Jordan era and the Kobe-Shaq era in the 2000s, PER and Win Shares never was really discussed among basketball analysts. Sure, they might have existed here and there, but it was never really given much importance during those golden days of the NBA. The whole statistical analysis didn't start to be honest until LeBron came into the league and then all these new analysts started coming onto the scene (aka Hollinger) and started coming out with these statistical phenomenas that we as basketball fans never were really familiar with during the 90s and early 2000s of NBA basketball.

Of all his stats and math, PER is the only one that is brought up by the experts on a consistent basis. I think it's a legitimate way to measure a player. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's inaccurate.

Keep on finding a way to spin Kobe into legitimacy.

Heediot
04-19-2012, 02:58 PM

That's because Bosh is a pansy and plays like a wing player. Guys that can rebound and block shots and shoot at a high percentage tend to have higher PER's.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Of all his stats and math, PER is the only one that is brought up by the experts on a consistent basis. I think it's a legitimate way to measure a player. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's inaccurate.

Keep on finding a way to spin Kobe into legitimacy.

I'm not even talking about Kobe or whatever, I'm speaking in general.

Growing up as a basketball fan, I used to watch the games. You can't tell me back in the day of the 90s and early 2000s the basketball world and the analysis of the sport was dominated by win shares and PER. No one would say, "Michael Jordan, the guy with the highest PER and win shares on the Bulls, is going to lead his team to 6 NBA titles".

No, it just didn't work that way back in the day. Guys status' were determined back in the day by either the way they scored, their defense, their killer instinct, winning big games, being clutch, winning championships etc.

Now, in order to be an elite player and get the respect as an elite players, you don't necessarily have to win that many awards or big games or big moments or championships, but as long as your PER and win shares are up there, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

The way the NBA is viewed in general with the Hollinger crap that he's shoved down our throats the last 7 or 8 yrs or so is something I as an NBA Fan just have not enjoyed.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 03:03 PM
That's because Bosh is a pansy and plays like a wing player. Guys that can rebound and block shots and shoot at a high percentage tend to have higher PER's.

SaimuKala just proved my point. If McGee has a higher PER than Bosh, then that mean's in today analytical world of the NBA, McGee should be regarded in higher status than Chris Bosh.

BUt the prototypical NBA fan that watches "the game of basketball" will say that Chris Bosh is a more valuable and way more elite player than McGee. He's a 3rd wheel of a very good team and a former franchise player with the Toronto Raptors. He contributes more on the basketball court at the end of the day than JaVale.

LakersEaglesLA
04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Kevin Durant
Lebron James
Dwight Howard

Kobe takes to many shots imo

Did you ever say Jordan took too many shots?

Heediot
04-19-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm not even talking about Kobe or whatever, I'm speaking in general.

Growing up as a basketball fan, I used to watch the games. You can't tell me back in the day of the 90s and early 2000s the basketball world and the analysis of the sport was dominated by win shares and PER. No one would say, "Michael Jordan, the guy with the highest PER and win shares on the Bulls, is going to lead his team to 6 NBA titles".

No, it just didn't work that way back in the day. Guys status' were determined back in the day by either the way they scored, their defense, their killer instinct, winning big games, being clutch, winning championships etc.

Now, in order to be an elite player and get the respect as an elite players, you don't necessarily have to win that many awards or big games or big moments or championships, but as long as your PER and win shares are up there, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

The way the NBA is viewed in general with the Hollinger crap that he's shoved down our throats the last 7 or 8 yrs or so is something I as an NBA Fan just have not enjoyed.

I agree that PER is not the be all end all because you cannot measure heart. I've always said Kobe has heart and that's what makes him great and a champion. If you look back at how PER measures players from the past, seems to me its damn accurate no?

Let's be honest Kobe has been chucking away this year because he feels spited for not being on ESPN's top 5. We can't live in the past with Kobe because his game is not as effective this year as it was in the past.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
I agree that PER is not the be all end all because you cannot measure heart. I've always said Kobe has heart and that's what makes him great and a champion. If you look back at how PER measures players from the past, seems to me its damn accurate no?

Let's be honest Kobe has been chucking away this year because he feels spited for not being on ESPN's top 5. We can't live in the past with Kobe because his game is not as effective this year as it was in the past.

Kobe is still going to win you ball games in the 4th qtr, but yes, the Lakers are better served running things through Bynum the majority of games if they want to win a championship this yr.

BUt I'm just saying, this PER/Winshares stuff has instilled a certain type of perception in today's NBA fan. I'm more of the old-school old fashioned in terms of mentality and how I see the game and how I rank players.

Heediot
04-19-2012, 03:15 PM
SaimuKala just proved my point. If McGee has a higher PER than Bosh, then that mean's in today analytical world of the NBA, McGee should be regarded in higher status than Chris Bosh.

BUt the prototypical NBA fan that watches "the game of basketball" will say that Chris Bosh is a more valuable and way more elite player than McGee. He's a 3rd wheel of a very good team and a former franchise player with the Toronto Raptors. He contributes more on the basketball court at the end of the day than JaVale.

You cannot clearly say that Bosh makes more of an impact than McGee. I think if you take away Bosh and start Haslem and have another Haslem come off the bench, the heat don't miss a beat. Why? because his skill-set is redundant in Miami since he plays too much like a wing. If you put McGee and Haslem instead of J. Anthony and Bosh, I think Miami would be even better. Bosh's game doesn't not complement Wade and LeBrons.

Look at my post history, I've always said Bosh's way of playing doesn't impact the game as much as other all stars. I am from Toronto as well.

Heediot
04-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Kobe is still going to win you ball games in the 4th qtr, but yes, the Lakers are better served running things through Bynum the majority of games if they want to win a championship this yr.

BUt I'm just saying, this PER/Winshares stuff has instilled a certain type of perception in today's NBA fan. I'm more of the old-school old fashioned in terms of mentality and how I see the game and how I rank players.

If your going to use 4th quarter numbers to validate Kobe, why invalidate CP3? He's been the best 4th quarter player in the NBA and within the last few minutes?

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 03:18 PM
You cannot clearly say that Bosh makes more of an impact than McGee. I think if you take away Bosh and start Haslem and have another Haslem come off the bench, the heat don't miss a beat. Why? because his skill-set is redundant in Miami since he plays too much like a wing. If you put McGee and Haslem instead of J. Anthony and Bosh, I think Miami would be even better. Bosh's game doesn't not complement Wade and LeBrons.

Look at my post history, I've always said Bosh's way of playing doesn't impact the game as much as other all stars. I am from Toronto as well.

I'm not very familiar with your history of posts on C.Bosh because I joined ProSportsDaily only a few months ago, and you've been here longer. And since you've probably seen Bosh up front from his Raptors days, I'll take your word for it.

Btw, I think Bosh's game does compliment either Wade or LeBron but not both, which is why I think it's a bad idea having both Wade and LeBron on the same team. If I'm Miami, if they don't win it this yr, you have to trade Wade in the offseason for pieces that fit and complement LeBron & Bosh.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 03:20 PM
If your going to use 4th quarter numbers to validate Kobe, why invalidate CP3? He's been the best 4th quarter player in the NBA and within the last few minutes?

No, I'm not trying to invalidate CP3. I don't even care about Kobe making first team or not in all honesty.

My only beef is how players are looked down upon if they don't have a high of a PER as other players. That's all.

I'm not trying to compare CP3 or Kobe or anything like that. Both players were great, and hell, both could have been teammates. :o

Raph12
04-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Give me CP3 and Westbrook over Kobe and Wade this season, he may not be the better player, but he's played each and every game and had a big impact on his team.

Heediot
04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm not very familiar with your history of posts on C.Bosh because I joined ProSportsDaily only a few months ago, and you've been here longer. And since you've probably seen Bosh up front from his Raptors days, I'll take your word for it.

Btw, I think Bosh's game does compliment either Wade or LeBron but not both, which is why I think it's a bad idea having both Wade and LeBron on the same team. If I'm Miami, if they don't win it this yr, you have to trade Wade in the offseason for pieces that fit and complement LeBron & Bosh.

Yeah I can agree that Bosh's game would be better served complementing one of the other two. Even then I still think he's one of the most over-rated players in the NBA. At least a guy like Kobe has heart and fire. That's what I love about Kobe. The only thing I don't like about Kobe is he's hard headed and stubborn, this is a bad thing if he doesn't have efficient scorers like Bynum and Gasol (not as much this year). But you need a guy like Kobe to win it all. The formula IMO for a championship is elite defense with a clutch player with a killer instinct. If you don't have an elite defense you should have an elite offense with at least an slightly above average defense combined with that clutch-killer instinct player.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Give me CP3 and Westbrook over Kobe and Wade this season, he may not be the better player, but he's played each and every game and had a big impact on his team.

Correction, Chris Paul missed 5 games this year.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Yeah I can agree that Bosh's game would be better served complementing one of the other two. Even then I still think he's one of the most over-rated players in the NBA. At least a guy like Kobe has heart and fire. That's what I love about Kobe. The only thing I don't like about Kobe is he's hard headed and stubborn, this is a bad thing if he doesn't have efficient scorers like Bynum and Gasol (not as much this year). But you need a guy like Kobe to win it all. The formula IMO for a championship is elite defense with a clutch player with a killer instinct. If you don't have an elite defense you should have an elite offense with at least an slightly above average defense.

I agree with this. And by elite defense, I'm assuming you mean with strong interior defense with rebounding and altering/blocking shots along with that above average defender out on the perimeter.

You have the clutchness with Kobe

You have the perimeter defense with MWP

You have the interior defense with Bynum and Gasol

Those 3 elements catapult you into championship contendership.

Avenged
04-19-2012, 03:39 PM
I don't know..

I think guys like Chris Paul and Westbrook deserve that nod, but having Kobe there wouldn't be a snub imo like it has been before.

No way should he make a defensive team though.

Chronz
04-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Westbrook IMO has had bigger games than CP3 this yr despite sharing the rock with KD.
Hes also had horrid games despite sharing the rock with KD. Whats your point?

In his sleep? No it was at the top of his game, he was going all out every night posting the biggest #'s ever seen from anyone so small. Now hes refined his game and adapts to his teams need. I dont know what his APG comment is suppose to mean. Talent doesnt just equal more assists, thats one of those high school arguments you hear from kids who dont know the game and what to sound like analyst.

Whats most important, regardless of his APG, the overall statistical dominance above Westbrook is there, they are arguably equally clutch tho I take CP3 personally, and their defense is definitely in CP3's favor IMO.

Chronz
04-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Wait why doesnt Wade belong ahead of Kobe?

Iron24th
04-19-2012, 03:56 PM
It's tough. Wade and Paul have been better players, but Wade has missed a lot of time. IDK. Wade has just been way better, games missed or not. I'd put Russy on the first team over Kobe too honestly.

Wade: 22.6pts/5.0rbs/4.7asts
Kobe: 28.1pts/5.4rbs/4.6asts

Tell us again who's better :rolleyes:

Chronz
04-19-2012, 04:08 PM

Whatever you grew up using to assess the NBA brainwashed you just as much, dont try and pigeonhole people, we are all doing it for the love of the game.

I got the same impression he did, your argument against him was weak.

That being said, when it comes to PER and Win Shares, all I know is that in the Jordan era and the Kobe-Shaq era in the 2000s, PER and Win Shares never was really discussed among basketball analysts.
Thats because in the 90's the internet was in its infancy and wasnt so widespread. Now you have bloggers turning into analysts, stat guys who have never seen the game are getting jobs in the NBA, when those same people back in the 90's were relegated to book writing and working for NBA teams, welcome to the new world bro. I dont see what that has to do with the validity of their work.

Things evolve and the way we assess and play the game changes. Its only logical that the stats we use progress alongside our understanding of the game. And honestly progressed may be too strong of a word. Per possession analysis wasnt invented in the digital age, it existed long before then but all things of that nature were kept within the braintrust.

Sure, they might have existed here and there, but it was never really given much importance during those golden days of the NBA. The whole statistical analysis didn't start to be honest until these new generation of players like Dwight, LeBron, CP3, Wade etc. started coming into the league and then all these new analysts started coming onto the scene (aka Hollinger) and started coming out with these statistical phenomenas that we as basketball fans never were really familiar with during the 90s and early 2000s of NBA basketball.
What? I knew about them long before then. Hollinger didnt invent the field, he just popularized it. To me this is just some long rant about something you clearly dont understand, dont care to understand, and your mad the world has changed in your slumber.

Your not making any sense, they dont do that today either. When do you ever see anything APBR related cited on TV? Its rare and I know because I remember the threads when they were finally promoting the use of advanced stats. Hopefully it becomes more widespread but as of now its strictly an internet phenomena.

Dont act like we've regressed as a society in our way to evaluate performance. People back then dont know any more about clutch ability than we do today, it really just sounds like you miss the days when you could BS your way through an argument without people checking your facts.

He shoved it down your throat? LMFAO no, his followers/detractors have deemed him relevant enough to rise in his career, thats it. Nobody has forced you to listen to Hollinger.

Plz dont speak on behalf of the APBR society, you sound ignorant every time you pretend to know what your talking about.

You mean provide opinion? Yes ANYONE can do that.

Chronz
04-19-2012, 04:09 PM

Wade

Im not seeing the point your trying to make here

5ass
04-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Wade. ur basketball knowledge is horrible man. im being serious, u really dont know much about basketball. Throwing out these simple numbers proves exactly that.

LA4life24/8
04-19-2012, 04:39 PM
kobe should be 1st team, the only shooting guard in the league to seriously compare him to is wade and wade has missed more games than kobe and is playing with the best player in the league in lebron.. sorry but kobe edges him out by that much, wade is just not having a normal wade season due to playing w lbj and bosh

Bruno
04-19-2012, 04:43 PM

Is it?

Since 1996 the NBA's leading scorer has been left off the all nba first team on only two occasions (Iverson 2002 & McGrady 2004, who were both elected to the second team).

14 of the past 16 scoring leaders have made the NBA first team. That's an 88% success rate since the mid 90's. I'd take that percentage to vegas, especially considering the health/games played of his usual competitors (Wade/Rose).

nickdymez
04-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Wade. ur basketball knowledge is horrible man. im being serious, u really dont know much about basketball. Throwing out these simple numbers proves exactly that.

lmfao. This post is simple

LA4life24/8
04-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Wait why doesnt Wade belong ahead of Kobe?

because wade is playing with the best player in the league?? and kobe is just having a better season than wade... wade has missed 12 games kobe has not?? i mean what reasons do you have for wade being there and not kobe??

Bruno
04-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Am I the only person on the planet who think thats Harden has been better that Westbrook? I'm hearing a lot of WB for first team, but I don't even think he's the best guard on his own team. :shrug:

Bruno
04-19-2012, 04:46 PM
LOL, Kobe is third on the Lakers regarding Win Shares.

Yeah, but he's first in win-shares among Laker guards and that's all that matters here :)

LA4life24/8
04-19-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't know..

I think guys like Chris Paul and Westbrook deserve that nod, but having Kobe there wouldn't be a snub imo like it has been before.

No way should he make a defensive team though.

doesnt the team selection generally go by position though?? and arent cp3 and westbrook "point guards" ... i agree with their having earned it for sure cuz they are obviously both great players but they arent shooting guards, which kobe is?

or does the league not select 1st,2nd, 3rd teams that way anymore??

SportsFanatic10
04-19-2012, 04:49 PM
because wade is playing with the best player in the league?? and kobe is just having a better season than wade... wade has missed 12 games kobe has not?? i mean what reasons do you have for wade being there and not kobe??

which is exactly why wades numbers are down. thing is kobe has 2 great players on his team and he doesn`t utilize them enough and just jacks up shots so his numbers are good. he hurts his team at times because of this. wade has had a better season than kobe its obvious. look at wades 50 % shooting and his per and you`ll realize its not just about leading the league in scoring and in fg attempts lol.

oh and wade has 3 game winners this season as well since thats the kinda stat kobe fans go crazy for.

Bruno
04-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Should also point out that Kobe said he would play vs. The Spurs in the next game. He said it last night to Bucher while sitting on the bench during the Warriors game. He'll be back for the rest of the games.

Raph12
04-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Correction, Chris Paul missed 5 games this year.

Yes but he's played like the best guard in the league this season and has drastically made a Clipps team better, Kobe has been hogging and Wade hasn't played enough games.

Longhornfan1234
04-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Kobe is the better defender, passer, rebounder, shooter, and scorer than Wade.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Yes but he's played like the best guard in the league this season and has drastically made a Clipps team better, Kobe has been hogging and Wade hasn't played enough games.

Fair enough.

lowdown32
04-19-2012, 05:05 PM

nope

Heediot
04-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah, but he's first in win-shares among Laker guards and that's all that matters here :)

True...

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 05:14 PM

What??

I was sure Steve Blake was the leader in that category! :laugh2:

SportsFanatic10
04-19-2012, 05:17 PM
nope

yep

Bruno
04-19-2012, 05:18 PM
What??

I was sure Steve Blake was the leader in that category! :laugh2:

:laugh2:
when brown has blake and murphy on the court at the same time I'm constantly on the brink of pulling an Elvis by shooting out my television.

SportsFanatic10
04-19-2012, 05:18 PM

lol shooter as in jump shooter...the rest of that list goes to wade at this point in their careers. your posts are laughable.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-19-2012, 05:21 PM
lol shooter as in jump shooter...the rest of that list goes to wade at this point in their careers. your posts are laughable.

Despite this shin injury (if these were the playoffs right now, he would be playing), KB is 10x more durable than Wade, even after 16 seasons in the association at age 33 with all the mileage, minutes etc. Kobe has been and is the more reliable guy than Wade in terms of staying on the floor in the long run.

DoubleDragon
04-19-2012, 05:21 PM

And he'll be returning Friday evidently for the last 3 games.

So yes. 6 or 7 games won't unseat him. That's ridiculous.

Iron24th
04-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Loool cause you think you have some knowledge by saying BS like this?!
Dwight is god blabla,what a knowledge,you're really funny boy.

Iron24th
04-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Wade

Im not seeing the point your trying to make here

The point? All NBA first team is all about numbers position by position right?
So if Kobe has better numbers than Wade,you still don't see the point?

5ass
04-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Loool cause you think you have some knowledge by saying BS like this?!
Dwight is god blabla,what a knowledge,you're really funny boy.

i was just being honest. i really wasnt trying to make a joke or be funny. This is truly how i felt after that post.

UKblazers
04-19-2012, 07:04 PM

That being said, when it comes to PER and Win Shares, all I know is that in the Jordan era and the Kobe-Shaq era in the 2000s, PER and Win Shares never was really discussed among basketball analysts. Sure, they might have existed here and there, but it was never really given much importance during those golden days of the NBA. The whole statistical analysis didn't start to be honest until these new generation of players like Dwight, LeBron, CP3, Wade etc. started coming into the league and then all these new analysts started coming onto the scene (aka Hollinger) and started coming out with these statistical phenomenas that we as basketball fans never were really familiar with during the 90s and early 2000s of NBA basketball.

Even in the Jordan Era people could tell the difference between 50% shooting and 43% shooting. I understand the point you are making and I do agree to an extent, but even just watching the two ,33 year old kobe is no longer the better player. Obviously when you compare the careers Kobe will go down better, but for just 2012 give me Wade.

C-Style
04-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Kobe > Wade

Chronz
04-19-2012, 07:24 PM
The point? All NBA first team is all about numbers position by position right?
So if Kobe has better numbers than Wade,you still don't see the point?

But Kobe doesnt have better numbers

Chronz
04-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Wade has played less yet accumulated more impressive #'s (once you factor in efficiency) in that time, and hes a better defender thats why.

Chronz
04-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Based on what?

C-Style
04-19-2012, 07:38 PM

Worst FG%
Better 3FG%
Better FT%
Better REB
Equal APG

Chronz
04-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Worst FG%
Better 3FG%
Better FT%
Better REB
Equal APG
Yup, its Wades efficiency and defense that murder the stat department

naps
04-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Wade should make it but we all know who's gonna get it. Take a look at the all nba defensive 1st team for last 5/6 years. You'll know how it works.

MickeyMgl
04-19-2012, 07:54 PM

If Wade took as many shots as Kobe, his efficiency would drop significantly.

naps
04-19-2012, 08:03 PM
If Wade took as many shots as Kobe, his efficiency would drop significantly.

No it wouldn't. He's never shot less than 46.5% in his career and that was in his rookie year. He took 22 shots a game one year and still maintained 49.1%.

C_Mund
04-19-2012, 08:04 PM
I bet you he still makes it. Just like he somehow still makes defensive all first teams.

Idiocy knows no bounds.

A lot of it has to do with respect to body of work as well, much like all stars. It's not entirely fair, but that's kinda how I see it. Even if you play out of your mind for half a season, unless your were on the fringe for last year's team you probably won't get to be on this year's team.

KB24PG16
04-19-2012, 09:58 PM
i wonder if this logic of kobe missing game applies to dwight missing games equating him to not be all nba 1st team now

JasonJohnHorn
04-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Is there a shooting guard in the league who has played better than him this season? Kobe on the All-NBA first team seems like a no-brainer to me, and I'm a Kobe hater. So... I don't see how any non-homer could make an arguement for anybody other than Kobe getting the SG spot on the All-NBA first team this year.

That said, the entire first team seems like a no-brainer to me:
PG: CP3
SG: Kobe
SF: LBJ
PF: Love
C: Dwight.

And the second team is a lock in my eyes as well:
PG: Rose
SG: Wade
SF: Durant
PF: BG
C: Bynum

I'll let everybody else argue over who gets on the third team. That's up for debate.

Ebbs
04-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Paul - Wade

Bruno
04-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Is there a shooting guard in the league who has played better than him this season? Kobe on the All-NBA first team seems like a no-brainer to me, and I'm a Kobe hater. So... I don't see how any non-homer could make an arguement for anybody other than Kobe getting the SG spot on the All-NBA first team this year.

I'll let everybody else argue over who gets on the third team. That's up for debate.

Switch Durant and Love and I think your prediction is spot on. the nba teams don't get position specific. just two forwards, two guards. doesn't matter if PG/SG or SF/PF. just two of each.

kArSoN RyDaH
04-19-2012, 11:13 PM
No way the leading scorer in the NBA doesn't get on the 1st team.

TrueFan420
04-20-2012, 12:39 AM

Switch Kobe and wade

Patman
04-20-2012, 02:50 AM

If this will be the 1st and 2nd Team, I think we can all agree that Pop has to win COY. I would put TP in the second team, the guy just played an incredible season. His stats are a little lower then Roses, but rose has just missed to many games with his Team still playing good. TP has carried that spurs team since manu wen't down and did exactly what the Team needed.

tredigs
04-20-2012, 03:10 AM
No way the leading scorer in the NBA doesn't get on the 1st team.

Crazy that both Lebron and Kobe average the exact same amount of field-goals made per game (10.0), but it takes Kobe 23.2 attempts to Lebron's 18.8. Lebron does average a full point per game less though due to Kobe chucking up a few more threes (Shoots 29% on 5+ a game. Let's be honest, that is chucking) a game and averages a half-point more per game from the line (6.6 made on 8 tries to Lebron's 6.1 on 8 tries).

Does he deserve first team? No. I'd take Westbrook and Cp3 over him this year with ease. Then Wade. But he'll get it (and there IS no denying that his resiliency and all around game after the amount of minutes he's played is incredible, he just wasn't a top 2 guard this season). I'm sure he'll squirm his way onto all league defensive first team again as well. Is he a top 25 defender, let alone top 5? No, of course not. Not even close. But that's just semantics. kobe!

Heediot
04-20-2012, 06:41 AM

Westbrook and Parker will get more votes this year than Rose, book it. Playing only half the season, he'll be hard pressed to make it to the 3rd team.

Durant will be first team. Blake will have a hard time making the 3rd team.

TmacBryant
04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Crazy that both Lebron and Kobe average the exact same amount of field-goals made per game (10.0), but it takes Kobe 23.2 attempts to Lebron's 18.8. Lebron does average a full point per game less though due to Kobe chucking up a few more threes (Shoots 29% on 5+ a game. Let's be honest, that is chucking) a game and averages a half-point more per game from the line (6.6 made on 8 tries to Lebron's 6.1 on 8 tries).

Does he deserve first team? No. I'd take Westbrook and Cp3 over him this year with ease. Then Wade. But he'll get it (and there IS no denying that his resiliency and all around game after the amount of minutes he's played is incredible, he just wasn't a top 2 guard this season). I'm sure he'll squirm his way onto all league defensive first team again as well. Is he a top 25 defender, let alone top 5? No, of course not. Not even close. But that's just semantics. kobe!

Lebron and wade take more lay ups and dunks while Kobe shoots jumpers with a messed up leg and hand, don't compare them with Kobe.

as for Kobe's defence, Kobe is not an elite defender anymore, but 2 years ago he could guard anybody from the 1-3 position including Lebron and Wade.

tredigs
04-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Lebron and wade take more lay ups and dunks while Kobe shoots jumpers with a messed up leg and hand, don't compare them with Kobe.

as for Kobe's defence, Kobe is not an elite defender anymore, but 2 years ago he could guard anybody from the 1-3 position including Lebron and Wade.

They "take more layups and dunks" because they're both more explosive/dynamic and can capitalize on the high percentage shots. Lebron also has a more efficient mid-range and 3 ball than Kobe at this point; mainly due to smarter selection. But you're right, not a fair comparison. Different tier of scorers. KD/Lebron, then Wade/Love/Dirk - then the rest.

The goods
04-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Kobe leads the league in scoring and he's had a nice season he'll get it.
Wade has been quiet this season its been all about lebron.

The goods
04-20-2012, 09:45 AM

This says it all don't compare kobe with lebron and wade because they play nothing alike stats don't tell the full storie kobe is a shooter now while wade and lebron drive to the hole a lot more than they shoot.
And why is lebron in this conversation in the first place is he a guard? No so why is he being talked about? Don't turn this into a kobe vs lebron thread.

The goods
04-20-2012, 09:47 AM
I think wade defers to lebron to much the guy was beasting before lebron got there,hope he finds his way but then again maybe not because they'll be unbeatable.

Chronz
04-20-2012, 10:11 AM
This says it all don't compare kobe with lebron and wade because they play nothing alike stats don't tell the full storie kobe is a shooter now while wade and lebron drive to the hole a lot more than they shoot.
And why is lebron in this conversation in the first place is he a guard? No so why is he being talked about? Don't turn this into a kobe vs lebron thread.

Its good to see Laker fans admit Kobe is just a jumpshooter now. So we are all in agreement, definitely not first team caliber

basketfan4life
04-20-2012, 10:53 AM
They "take more layups and dunks" because they're both more explosive/dynamic and can capitalize on the high percentage shots. Lebron also has a more efficient mid-range and 3 ball than Kobe at this point; mainly due to smarter selection. But you're right, not a fair comparison. Different tier of scorers. KD/Lebron, then Wade/Love/Dirk - then the rest.

you sir, are a funny guy.

JordansBulls
04-20-2012, 06:09 PM
you sir, are a funny guy.

In what way?

lakersfan01
04-20-2012, 06:35 PM
He should not make 1st team over Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Dwayne Wade etc.

Kobe 42% fgs, 28% 3pointers, 4 turnovers/game, 24 fg attempts per game. But he will make NBA 1st team because the NBA keeps him propped up to make money. He was named to all NBA defensive team last season which was an absolute joke.

DaLakerz Rulz
04-20-2012, 06:43 PM
He should not make 1st team over Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Dwayne Wade etc.

Kobe 42% fgs, 28% 3pointers, 4 turnovers/game, 24 fg attempts per game. But he will make NBA 1st team because the NBA keeps him propped up to make money. He was named to all NBA defensive team last season which was an absolute joke.

Yea how Kobe got on all-defensive teams I have no idea. The dude is one of the laziest defenders I have ever seen. Not saying he doesn't have good fundamental defensive skills, I am saying he simply does not play defense. Maybe on occasion when he is playing against another star player...

beliges
04-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Eh Kobe's clearly been the best SG in the league this season. Wade has had an off year to an extent. Westbrook has been great but not as great as Kobe. You still have one of the top 3 players in the league with Kobe, even in his 16th season. Truly remarkable really. Kobes a lock for the 1st team.

Chronz
04-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Eh Kobe's clearly been the best SG in the league this season. Wade has had an off year to an extent. Westbrook has been great but not as great as Kobe. You still have one of the top 3 players in the league with Kobe, even in his 16th season. Truly remarkable really. Kobes a lock for the 1st team.

Clearly is a reach when you have so many saying otherwise.

Iron24th
04-21-2012, 04:18 PM

^ really???

Do you have trouble to read?

MarkieMark48
04-21-2012, 04:36 PM
yes, simply because hes Kobe

felixng2012
04-21-2012, 05:01 PM

^ really???

Wade is far more efficient in scoring.
I think Kobe will get 1st Team All NBA though. If Wade was not injured so many times this season he would probably get it.

Chronz
04-21-2012, 05:52 PM

^ really???

Do you have trouble to speak?

b@llhog24
04-21-2012, 07:05 PM

^ really???

:laugh2: Wade>>Kobe

Hawkeye15
04-21-2012, 08:13 PM
No, he should not be 1st team all NBA. He should not make it over Wade, Paul, Westbrook, or possibly even Parker. Will he make the 2nd team? Yes. Should he? Arguable.

RapOZo
04-22-2012, 10:48 AM

sounds clever, but no, that's not how it works
the more shots you take that more your fatigue increases and the effectiveness of your shooting drops.
a shooter taking 15 shots on 55%, will probably drop that good percentage to 40 if he was to take 10 more shots, that of course if he got the stamina to perform efficiently on both ends while taking 10 more shots over his average.

t_money25
04-22-2012, 11:25 AM

Yea but would you take McGee over Bosh? Don't even answer that question cause I already know your answer is no.....see how useful the PER stat is...

willabeast77
04-22-2012, 12:07 PM
He shouldn't make it but it looks like he will. I dont see Wade making it (many games missed). I think the guards on the 1st team will be either Kobe + Paul/Westbrook or even Tony Parker

AIRMAR72
04-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Yea how Kobe got on all-defensive teams I have no idea. The dude is one of the laziest defenders I have ever seen. Not saying he doesn't have good fundamental defensive skills, I am saying he simply does not play defense. Maybe on occasion when he is playing against another star player...
lol... koBE

Dankster
04-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Well if he ends up missing 10+ games that would mean he was inactive for almost 1/6th of the season. Since its such a shortened and condensed schedule, I dunno if I'd have him on the 1st team. But as I try to think of players more deserving at the SG spot, I'm hard pressed to think of anyone who has played better than him this year in that position...Maybe Wade? His scoring average is nowhere near Kobe's (although he's much more efficient than Bryant,) and he's also missed a decent amount of games.

I guess either one of those guys would be considered the favorite for the SG spot on the 1st team.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Well if he ends up missing 10+ games that would mean he was inactive for almost 1/6th of the season. Since its such a shortened and condensed schedule, I dunno if I'd have him on the 1st team. But as I try to think of players more deserving at the SG spot, I'm hard pressed to think of anyone who has played better than him this year in that position...Maybe Wade? His scoring average is nowhere near Kobe's (although he's much more efficient than Bryant,) and he's also missed a decent amount of games.

I guess either one of those guys would be considered the favorite for the SG spot on the 1st team.
The All-NBA teams can have any 2 guards and any 2 forwards.

kozelkid
04-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Yea but would you take McGee over Bosh? Don't even answer that question cause I already know your answer is no.....see how useful the PER stat is...

No offense, but that's just horrible logic.

You can use that reasoning for just about any stat. No stat is perfect; it's up to you as the analyst to figure out how useful the stat is in the context you're using and make sure you use more than one such stat when analyzing a player.

With your logic, we might as well say Kyle Korver is better scorer than Kobe cause he has a higher ts%. Doesn't work like that. As it is, PER has a VERY good correlation as far as ranking the top players in the league. Just skim through the players with the ten or even 20 highest PERs and I bet you'll have a tough time finding too many players that don't belong there.

JordansBulls
04-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Looks like he is 2nd in scoring now.