PDA

View Full Version : Did David Ortiz ever explain his steroid story?

RaysFan
04-14-2012, 05:17 PM
If you remember, David Ortiz ripped into steroid users, saying that anyone caught taking the stuff should be banned from baseball forever. Of course it later came out that Ortiz was one of the bigger steroid abusers in the game. He claimed he had an "answer" for this..but that was the last I heard of it.

Did he ever explain himself?

avrpatsfan
04-14-2012, 06:20 PM
If you remember, David Ortiz ripped into steroid users, saying that anyone caught taking the stuff should be banned from baseball forever. Of course it later came out that Ortiz was one of the bigger steroid abusers in the game. He claimed he had an "answer" for this..but that was the last I heard of it.

Did he ever explain himself?
The only "evidence" that he was "Ortiz was one of the bigger steroid abusers in the game" was a media report that he tested positive in the 2003 test. There's a good chance that he tested positive falsely as testing wasn't very good back then. Ortiz has always been a big guy, and I don't buy that he ever took steroids.

Yes, he said Manny dipped his condom in it and therefor he wasnt aware he was being injected with anything other than the obvious...
We got a comedian in the house today.

oak2455
04-14-2012, 06:33 PM
The only "evidence" that he was "Ortiz was one of the bigger steroid abusers in the game" was a media report that he tested positive in the 2003 test. There's a good chance that he tested positive falsely as testing wasn't very good back then. Ortiz has always been a big guy, and I don't buy that he ever took steroids.

Seriously is that you're legit argument ?? Or is there any proof he didn't ?? Guess there a lot guys with a sigh of relief because they all were false positive back then.... Cool

The Final Boss
04-14-2012, 06:43 PM
He's a fraud as are those tainted World Series squads. No need to explain himself-we already know he's a clown.

grandsalami
04-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Mods better delete this before it turns into a cat fight

oak2455
04-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Meow

avrpatsfan
04-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Seriously is that you're legit argument ?? Or is there any proof he didn't ?? Guess there a lot guys with a sigh of relief because they all were false positive back then.... Cool
There isn't any proof he did.

He's a fraud as are those tainted World Series squads. No need to explain himself-we already know he's a clown.
I'm guessing that you're a Yankees fan judging by your "tainted" comment, so I'm going to go ahead and say that your championships in the 90s are all tainted because of Pettite and Clemens admitting to taking steroids. And ARod did too, so 2009 is wiped out. See, your argument is just silly.

AI
04-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Bait thread, don't feed the trolls people.

Sadds The Gr8
04-14-2012, 07:42 PM

this

papipapsmanny
04-14-2012, 08:08 PM
haha this is just funny

is someone angry he tied the game up today with an HR?

NYY09
04-14-2012, 08:11 PM
There isn't any proof he did.

I'm guessing that you're a Yankees fan judging by your "tainted" comment, so I'm going to go ahead and say that your championships in the 90s are all tainted because of Pettite and Clemens admitting to taking steroids. And ARod did too, so 2009 is wiped out. See, your argument is just silly.

You know, not to be a stickler for little things called facts but Clemens didnt join the Yanks till '99 and Pettitte admitted using in 2002. So yeah, I'll take '96 and '98 and extract them from your "all" statement. I'd touch on A-rod and 2009 thingy but half your statement is already false so...

You may now return to your Yankee bashing ways.

papipapsmanny
04-14-2012, 08:18 PM
btw what he tested positive for is anyone's guess

But when they did that they tested for a lot of things which are actually legal now, like protein supplements and all of that. He tested positive for something in 03, but no one actually knows if it was steroids or not, and we won't ever know for legal reasons

NYY09
04-14-2012, 08:57 PM
btw what he tested positive for is anyone's guess

But when they did that they tested for a lot of things which are actually legal now, like protein supplements and all of that. He tested positive for something in 03, but no one actually knows if it was steroids or not, and we won't ever know for legal reasons

Cookie dough? :shrug:

NYY 26 to 7
04-14-2012, 09:09 PM

The same media report as arod for the same test? Yea. Except arod manned up to it and Ortiz just ignored it and somehow it went away.

Azzacadabra
04-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Who knows but he's slimmed down over the past couple years and he's been hitting superb. Past a lot of people's expectations at least.

NY Greenman
04-14-2012, 09:17 PM
As a Yankee fan, I feel we have no right to complain about players who used steroids with fear of being a hypocrite. Also I actually like Ortiz as a person who allegedly may have made a poor choice, I just don't like the team he plays for.

ManRam
04-14-2012, 09:31 PM
To the OP.

Yes, he spoke on it. Google is an amaaaazzzzinnnnnggg tool ;) I googled "David Ortiz"...got to Wikipedia, and found the bit about this controversy. It took a lot of effort!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4385699

"I definitely was a little bit careless back in those days when I was buying supplements and vitamins over the counter -- legal supplements, legal vitamins over the counter -- but I never buy steroids or use steroids,"

I never thought that buying supplements and vitamins, it was going to hurt anybody's feelings.

:shrug:

Take it how you wanna take it...but yeah.

Also, why are we singling him out here...and not the other 103 people?

runnermjr1296
04-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Yes he did explain it,he said it was beans and rice remember??????????????? C'mon everyone knows no one on the red sox ever did steroids.

teddyballgame24
04-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Jason Giambi...Roger Clemens...Gary Sheffield...Randy Velarde...Andy Pettitte...Chuck Knobloch...David Justice...Mike Stanton...yeah, they are tainted.

Gehrig4
04-15-2012, 12:02 AM
Jason Giambi...Roger Clemens...Gary Sheffield...Randy Velarde...Andy Pettitte...Chuck Knobloch...David Justice...Mike Stanton...yeah, they are tainted.

:facepalm:

First off, Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield were never on WS winning teams. Secondly, Randy Velarde was only there for '01 and David Justice '00 and '01. As for Andy Pettitte, he's stated he only used HGH twice, both times to heal quicker from injuries, not to enhance his performance. Why shouldn't we believe him if we're to believe David Ortiz about his "vitamin and supplement" claim. And in regards to Stanton and Knobloch, neither were there in '96 so you can't claim '96 "was tainted" because of them. And for '09, just because it had past abusers like A-Rod, claiming it was tainted is ludicrous. He's not going to risk a suspension when he knows everyone's eyes are on him.

But also you can't assume any WS teams hasn't been tainted by steroids since they became popular in baseball (I'm assuming the late 80's?)
And you especially can't say the '04 and '07 Red Sox aren't tainted with the likes of Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz in the lineup, two guys who without, you could argue the Red Sox don't even make the playoffs.

jbro732
04-15-2012, 12:33 AM
It's annoying that a handful of guys like Ortiz,Bonds, Arod, Canseco etc take all the blame for the steroid era. No one really knows how many guys where juicing but my personal opinion is that it was of the majority. Think of how many players who used steroids got by without any suspicion. How thorough was the Mitchell report if one of most blatant users (Manny Ramirez) wasn't even named? I don't think we will ever have all of the facts so why judge these guys.

The only person who deserved to hauled in front of congress and hung in the court of public opinion was Bug Selig. I will never understand that one. No WS are tainted as im sure every WS winner in the era had some level of steroids present.

avrpatsfan
04-15-2012, 12:36 AM
You know, not to be a stickler for little things called facts but Clemens didnt join the Yanks till '99 and Pettitte admitted using in 2002. So yeah, I'll take '96 and '98 and extract them from your "all" statement. I'd touch on A-rod and 2009 thingy but half your statement is already false so...

You may now return to your Yankee bashing ways.
I wasn't bashing the Yankees at all.

You see, my point wasn't that everybody on the Yankees teams were juicing. That's just silly to assume and saying that those titles are tainted is silly as well. I was just being facetious and I was just making a point that you can look at any championship winning team during the steroid era and point to players that were users of steroids or HGH. So calling the 2004 Red Sox tainted, or the 1998 Yankees tainted is beyond stupid because steroids were a fact of life at the time and it wasn't like it was just the Red Sox and Yankees who were juicing; it was everybody. So before you are calling me a Yankees basher, read my post well again.

:facepalm:

First off, Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield were never on WS winning teams. Secondly, Randy Velarde was only there for '01 and David Justice '00 and '01. As for Andy Pettitte, he's stated he only used HGH twice, both times to heal quicker from injuries, not to enhance his performance. Why shouldn't we believe him if we're to believe David Ortiz about his "vitamin and supplement" claim. And in regards to Stanton and Knobloch, neither were there in '96 so you can't claim '96 "was tainted" because of them. And for '09, just because it had past abusers like A-Rod, claiming it was tainted is ludicrous. He's not going to risk a suspension when he knows everyone's eyes are on him.

But also you can't assume any WS teams hasn't been tainted by steroids since they became popular in baseball (I'm assuming the late 80's?)
And you especially can't say the '04 and '07 Red Sox aren't tainted with the likes of Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz in the lineup, two guys who without, you could argue the Red Sox don't even make the playoffs.
Alright, you just made a point that ARod wasn't going to risk a suspension in 2009 because he'd probably get caught. But the same point can be made out of Manny and Ortiz in 2007 because they tested then.

And the 2004 team with Ortiz and Manny went up against a Yankees team with steroid users such as Gary Sheffield, ARod, Giambi, Jose Contreras, and Kevin Brown. It's not like the Red Sox were facing a bunch of teams with cleans players haha. It's silly to say that the championships are tainted.

The same media report as arod for the same test? Yea. Except arod manned up to it and Ortiz just ignored it and somehow it went away.
Because ARod knew that he took steroids, in fact he started taking them in high school. Nobody knows outside of Ortiz and his trainers if he took steroids or not. But my judgement of him is that he didn't. His weight didn't change much and he's always been a big guy. While ARod went from toned to jacked after he left Seattle.

avrpatsfan
04-15-2012, 12:41 AM
It's annoying that a handful of guys like Ortiz,Bonds, Arod, Canseco etc take all the blame for the steroid era. No one really knows how many guys where juicing but my personal opinion is that it was of the majority. Think of how many players who used steroids got by without any suspicion. How thorough was the Mitchell report if one of most blatant users (Manny Ramirez) wasn't even named? I don't think we will ever have all of the facts so why judge these guys.

The only person who deserved to hauled in front of congress and hung in the court of public opinion was Bug Selig. I will never understand that one. No WS are tainted as im sure every WS winner in the era had some level of steroids present.
He was named in the report allegedly, but I get your point. And the last part is so true, every WS winner in the steroid era had steroids present. Well said.

Gehrig4
04-15-2012, 12:56 AM
I wasn't bashing the Yankees at all.

You see, my point wasn't that everybody on the Yankees teams were juicing. That's just silly to assume and saying that those titles are tainted is silly as well. I was just being facetious and I was just making a point that you can look at any championship winning team during the steroid era and point to players that were users of steroids or HGH. So calling the 2004 Red Sox tainted, or the 1998 Yankees tainted is beyond stupid because steroids were a fact of life at the time and it wasn't like it was just the Red Sox and Yankees who were juicing; it was everybody. So before you are calling me a Yankees basher, read my post well again.

Alright, you just made a point that ARod wasn't going to risk a suspension in 2009 because he'd probably get caught. But the same point can be made out of Manny and Ortiz in 2007 because they tested then.

And the 2004 team with Ortiz and Manny went up against a Yankees team with steroid users such as Gary Sheffield, ARod, Giambi, Jose Contreras, and Kevin Brown. It's not like the Red Sox were facing a bunch of teams with cleans players haha. It's silly to say that the championships are tainted.

Because ARod knew that he took steroids, in fact he started taking them in high school. Nobody knows outside of Ortiz and his trainers if he took steroids or not. But my judgement of him is that he didn't. His weight didn't change much and he's always been a big guy. While ARod went from toned to jacked after he left Seattle.

My post wasn't intended for you at all. It was for the guy I quoted just because I didn't like what he was trying to say, but I 100% agree with you. What you said makes perfect sense, it's ridiculous to claim any team since steroids became relevant in baseball isn't tainted somehow. Not to mention besides steroids there are other PED's like Amphetamines which were being abused even before steroids.

And I wasn't trying to say the Red Sox were the only guilty party in '04 either. I was just trying to make it clear that everyone was guilty, so someone can't say, well this team is guilty, while completely disregarding another.

In fact, the only reason I used the word tainted in my previous post was to just refute what that other guy said. I think it's ridiculous as well to say any team is tainted, because they're all just as guilty lol.

avrpatsfan
04-15-2012, 01:07 AM
My post wasn't intended for you at all. It was for the guy I quoted just because I didn't like what he was trying to say, but I 100% agree with you. What you said makes perfect sense, it's ridiculous to claim any team since steroids became relevant in baseball isn't tainted somehow. Not to mention besides steroids there are other PED's like Amphetamines which were being abused even before steroids.

And I wasn't trying to say the Red Sox were the only guilty party in '04 either. I was just trying to make it clear that everyone was guilty, so someone can't say, well this team is guilty, while completely disregarding another.

In fact, the only reason I used the word tainted in my previous post was to just refute what that other guy said. I think it's ridiculous as well to say any team is tainted, because they're all just as guilty lol.
Haha you're exactly like me then, that's what I did too.

Glad that you think that way too, I totally agree with you. It's silly to say that one team is guilty while another isn't.

Jeffy25
04-15-2012, 01:12 AM
ManRam answered the OP's question, I am closing this Yankees/Red Sox bash thread.