PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball Hates You And Doesn't Want You To Watch Its Sport.

Iodine
04-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Major League Baseball has a idiotic policy it does everything in its power to make sure you can't see highlights of baseball games.
It takes everything that has an MLB copyright off of YouTube. It only makes a handful of videos embeddable for the public. Generally, it wants you to follow baseball MLB.com, or not at all.
It's a dumb policy because websites like us can't cover the sport like we want to, and readers like you can only enjoy the sport in a controlled, limited, MLB.com-approved capacity.
And just when we thought the policy couldn't get any dumber, MLB might be taking it a step further. It is reportedly attempting to ban or put a 24-hour embargo on GIF's of MLB action, according to Scott Lewis of The Score.
GIF's are these looped, goofy moving picture things (below). They last roughly four seconds, and constitute 1/151,200th of an MLB work, according to Deadspin's Timothy Burke. That's it.
There's nothing official yet. But if it happens, it will represent a new level of idiocy in an already ***-backwards policy that stunts the growth of the game and puts baseball even further behind the times in a world where "viral" is an essential concept for all businesses.
MLB can truly do nothing right. Somehow it completely ruined and devalued one of their beloved traditions, Opening Day. And now it's doing everything possible to make sure baseball only exists inside the domain of MLB.com.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mlb-to-ban-gifs-2012-4

I hope this will let them recoup the literally dozens of dollars they lose to .gif's

Nymfan87
04-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Can't wait until Bud Selig is no longer the MLB commish.

SportsAndrew25
04-13-2012, 12:50 PM
I so agree with you man. I cannot stand how MLB gets on your *** if you put a video of a big play online. It is just so annoying and repulsive. Baseball needs to change that if they want to market the sport.

Amazin' Mets
04-13-2012, 01:01 PM
I can understand taking down the likes of Youtube videos, especially since most are available in the video section of MLB.com anyway, but taking down .gifs too is patheric.

2009mvp
04-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Important highlights are all on MLB.com, aren't they? Gifs are for the most part amusing, but I don't see how a 4 second clip of Mike Pelfrey dropping the ball on the rubber does some great service to baseball. I have a hard time calling this part of the policy 'idiotic.' Their refusal to integrate with Youtube probably hurts baseball, this not so much.

Iodine
04-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Important highlights are all on MLB.com, aren't they? Gifs are for the most part amusing, but I don't see how a 4 second clip of Mike Pelfrey dropping the ball on the rubber does some great service to baseball. I have a hard time calling this part of the policy 'idiotic.' Their refusal to integrate with Youtube probably hurts baseball, this not so much.

I think the fact that they obsess over what content is out there and controlling as much as they can is the part, with their crackdown of .gif's just being an amusing example. That is what hurts them more than anything IMO, the lack of allowing for the footage to just be out there. Obviously I am not saying they shouldnt care about copyrighted material, but a Gar highlight tape or a ****** .gif isnt close to the same as a bootleg playoff game

for a longer/better look at it heres an article from a few weeks ago
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/from-socially-awkward-to-socially-active-mlb-in-an-online-age/

edit: I can now only fully appreciate this now that I am in a hotel room with awful wifi, but the same video I am trying to load on MLB.com takes half the time on youtube thanks to all the other stuff on the page

Cheezombie
04-13-2012, 03:49 PM
How can they possibly control this?

BBB
04-13-2012, 03:53 PM
These ****ers will probably take my whole website down because it's filled with mlb gifs.

2-ONE-5
04-13-2012, 03:54 PM
if u want highlights watch MLB network, ESPN, or your local channel. problem solved

Iodine
04-13-2012, 03:54 PM
^I would assume they would put a 24 hour block on all their official streams and have people camp out on SBnation and popular blogs and have a search database chugging on ahead.

An awful use of manpower/resources that will cost them more than it could save likely, plus bad PR, but not my money

Iodine
04-13-2012, 03:56 PM
if u want highlights watch MLB network, ESPN, or your local channel. problem solved

Yup, if your in Europe or on a roadtrip its so easy to find channels with baseball. Plus 9/10 times .gif's arent what you go too for highlights, they are for quick laughs and banners

valade16
04-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Yup, if your in Europe or on a roadtrip its so easy to find channels with baseball. Plus 9/10 times .gif's arent what you go too for highlights, they are for quick laughs and banners

Exactly. You can tell MLB really cares about Soldiers who are in places where access to channels is very limited. And before you talk about simply going to MLB.com I challenge you to be in Afghanistan or Iraq and try to load any major sports league's page, you can't do it, there are so many things going on you simply can't...

JDIsMyGod23
04-13-2012, 04:09 PM
You have no idea how much this sucks for me as a blogger.

Iodine
04-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Make .gif's of yourself reenacting the days events.

Actually do that I would pay money for you being a hybrid of the BSG and a mime

MVP1
04-15-2012, 09:21 AM
There's seems to be millions of NBA videos on youtube but nothing with baseball. Someone uploads a MLB video, it's gone within a week. NBA knows how to promote their league thru social media. MLB is still trapped in the 70's

Gehrig4
04-15-2012, 09:55 AM
I hate MLB's policy on its video content. I've wanted to rewatch the highlight of Mike Mussina yelling at Joe Torre to get back in the dugout for years because it made me die the first time I watched it.
But alas, MLB will do whatever it can to make sure that dream never happens :(

Green_Monster
04-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Highlights are on MLB.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?cid=mlb

sexicano31
04-15-2012, 10:23 AM
I think I also read that they are going to do away with pitch F/X so we can't use it

Iodine
04-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Highlights are on MLB.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?cid=mlb

Way to not read any of this, thanks

Sportfan
04-15-2012, 10:57 AM
And this is why baseball is a dying sport

in 10 years, it will be the 4th biggest sport. hell maybe 5th if hockey progresses as it is

Iodine
04-15-2012, 11:16 AM
^So what are you saying are the biggest? Not calling you out I assume your saying NHL,NBA,NFL, but whats the other, Circle Driving?

Sportfan
04-15-2012, 11:47 AM
College Football

And I'm not trying to bait.......i was a bigggg baseball fan when I was growing up living in Boston and I used to only post in the red sox forum but over the past year I've moved solely to the basketball/football forums. I'm not really sure what it is, but I've just grown a distaste for baseball lately.

And it's not because I'm a bandwagoner, i didnt care for them last year when they were good:p

Iodine
04-15-2012, 12:12 PM
I wasnt saying you were dont worry. I rarely separate college/pro when I do sports popularity, but college FB is a beast in its own right.

thefeckcampaign
04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Can't wait until Bud Selig is no longer the MLB commish.The owners have and always been all about the money. As long as he continues to bring it in, you will see him around. You would have a better chance hiring a hitman. ;)

Jeffy25
04-15-2012, 04:18 PM
You can watch anything you want on MLB.com, MLB.tv has constant highlights, ESPN does somewhat, and you can pay for MLB.TV and watch anything you want.

It's a business first, maybe it shouldn't be, but it is.

Texas Holders
04-15-2012, 09:42 PM

in 10 years, it will be the 4th biggest sport. hell maybe 5th if hockey progresses as it is

Not likely, MLB will still be firmly #2 in 10 years. Have you seen the TV deals lately?

jlohm1
04-15-2012, 10:34 PM
I want to get a .gif of an MLB play now as my sig

dee279
04-15-2012, 10:44 PM
I wish they would take it off TV completely. Forget baseball.

stupidmop
04-15-2012, 11:42 PM
This is absurd if true.

Texas Holders
04-15-2012, 11:49 PM
I guess I don't really understand the issue. Is it that much harder to go to mlb.com vs. youtube?

utl768
04-16-2012, 01:31 AM
baseball is the only sport that is tight with its video policy

on youtube you can find a ton of old school nfl nba nhl or any college teams stuff

RevHokALugie
04-16-2012, 02:56 AM

Totally, gotta feel sorry for those who live in California, Florida, New York, and Texas being blocked out being force to watch another team if they're in the blacked out area.

Jeffy25
04-16-2012, 10:26 AM
I wish they would take it off TV completely. Forget baseball.

So you are posting in the MLB section why exactly?

infernoscurse
04-16-2012, 10:49 AM
i also hate blackouts, its the stupidest thing on earth that you cant watch a live game of the team you root for only because you live in the same city of the team, screw you blackout policy, screw you MLB

Jeffy25
04-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Well, those local broadcasts paid a lot of money to be able to carry those games, they should have advertising control.

It may not be fun as a fan, but it's good for the teams and their revenue and you should be able to get most of those local broadcasts somehow.