PDA

View Full Version : How badly will a lack of bench depth hurt Miami in the playoffs?

beasted86
04-13-2012, 01:58 AM
All year long our bench play has been a concern, but especially since the All-star break our bench has been disgusting.

Post all-star the Miami HEAT bench ranks:

29th in PPG - 20.1
25th in REB - 13.2
29th in AST - 4.4
30th in FG% - 37.6%
22nd in 3PT% - 32.1%

All statistics via hoopsstats.com (http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/12/7/pts/1-1)

Do you have confidence these guys will turn it around in the playoffs? And what would you like the bench rotation to be?

naps
04-13-2012, 04:41 AM
I can honestly see us go to fishing after the second round. I will mention it again Heat is not winning a championship under Spolestra. He just can't get the guys fired up and he doesn't know what offense means. As for rotations, James Jones went 8-12 from beyond the arc last two games with limited opportunities. Tonight we couldn't buy a basket in the OT and still Jones didn't see a minute. I know Miller and Battier provides more on other things but when we desperately need a basket or two why not call the guy who always stays ready and deliver? This is Sporon the GREAT for you ladies and gentlemen!
At least we knew our defense was suffocating and now we suck on that too. If we go any farther than second round in the playoffs that would be because of our defense and just sheer talents of big three. As of now I barely see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Master Mind
04-13-2012, 07:07 AM
^dude I don't want to see you in this forum when they do win the championship

:p

justinnum1
04-13-2012, 08:46 AM
that goes for anyone saying we cant or wont win

flashwade03
04-13-2012, 09:03 AM
we will be sucking in the playoffs if it continues this way ..our starters will be exhausted esp. the big three ..anyone from that bench needs to start something and say okay im taking over this bench and be the spark ..but spo`s rotation isnt going anywhere now ..plus i think the guys doesnt trust spo anymore ..they are not inspired to play now ..when u have that kind of feel from ur players u know something big is wrong.

flashwade03
04-13-2012, 09:05 AM

but lets be realistic here ..we`re struggling right now at the wrong moment :eyebrow:

Master Mind
04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
but lets be realistic here ..we`re struggling right now at the wrong moment :eyebrow:

We'll be fine...Trust me when I say they'll never be able to live it down if they don't win and I think they know that.

Slug3
04-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Ussualy the rotations get tighter and not as many people on the bench see the floor in the playoffs. Miller/UD/Battier are all capable of helping a lot, and if we could somehow get Jones some time he usually is instant offense.

Heater4life
04-13-2012, 10:26 AM
The only thing im upset with is James Jones not seeing any PT. I understand his defense isnt great, but thats why you give him spot minutes (and he is a decent team defender and tends to step up on charges).

JJ needs PT, a 3pt shot can sway momentum in an instant. Our guy is capable of giving a quick 6 point swing any night. Hes earned his right to contribute.

kjoke
04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Haslem and Miller are the only contributors we need to step it up, and we will be fine.

beasted86
04-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Haslem and Miller are the only contributors we need to step it up, and we will be fine.

I think you need to add Chalmers in there too.

If those 3 play solid and consistent we will be fine no matter what. Miller and Haslem are our best rebounders off the bench, and both can spread the floor with their shooting. I add Chalmers in there even though he is a starter because he's so important in spacing the floor.

And to the posters and fans who have been calling for James Jones playing time, if Miller is healthy and in a rhythm, he is better than Jones 10 times out of 10 games. What's important is doing anything and everything possible to get him back into a flow between now and the playoffs, even if it means dropping a couple games.

gotoHcarolina52
04-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I think you need to add Chalmers in there too.

If those 3 play solid and consistent we will be fine no matter what. Miller and Haslem are our best rebounders off the bench, and both can spread the floor with their shooting. I add Chalmers in there even though he is a starter because he's so important in spacing the floor.

And to the posters and fans who have been calling for James Jones playing time, if Miller is healthy and in a rhythm, he is better than Jones 10 times out of 10 games. What's important is doing anything and everything possible to get him back into a flow between now and the playoffs, even if it means dropping a couple games.

Agreed. I want to see Miller not just setting up outside the 3pt line, but actually attempting 3s. He's too hesitant to shoot sometimes.

justinnum1
04-13-2012, 12:52 PM
i want miller taking 6+ 3pt attempts per game for the rest of the season. And battier needs to look for his shot also

LRizzle
04-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Mike Miller needs to stop leaving his damn feet after two dribbles and pretending the ball is a GD hot potato. I'm really upset with his play.

Everyone clamoring for Bosh to go, I say Mike Miller needs to go if this doesn't work out. Much better off giving those 5M to Billups or Kaman. I'd kill to have Kaman out there with LBJ/Wade/JJ/Battier getting all the mins at the 2/3 than having JJ on the bench all game and rolling out Joel and Turiaf for extended mins. Not to mention Miller can't stay healthy for more than a week. I had such high hopes for him, so disappointed.

LRizzle
04-13-2012, 01:00 PM
i want miller taking 6+ 3pt attempts per game for the rest of the season. And battier needs to look for his shot also

Start Chalmers, Miller, JJ, Haslem, Turiaf against the Bobcats tonight and tell them to go out there and score and look for their shots. They need to be aggressive and look for their shots and take the damn shot.

The Heat's big 3 scored 71 pts last night against a great defense. Our bench scored 13... all game. Think about that. 13 pts should be what Mike Miller/Battier contribute alone from the 2/3 spot. Then Haslem, Chalmers, Turiaf contributing another 10-15 pts.

Also, the Bulls went on a 12-2 run yesterday because Spo left the Heat without Wade or James for 5 mins in the beginning of the 2nd Q. Brilliant F'ing job. He tries to rest them and then we go to OT. Good stuff. Play them 40 mins and rest them all game vs CHA. Our bench should win by double digits vs the Bobcats in Miami without much help if any from the big 3.

justinnum1
04-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Start Chalmers, Miller, JJ, Haslem, Turiaf against the Bobcats tonight and tell them to go out there and score and look for their shots. They need to be aggressive and look for their shots and take the damn shot.

The Heat's big 3 scored 71 pts last night against a great defense. Our bench scored 13... all game. Think about that. 13 pts should be what Mike Miller/Battier contribute alone from the 2/3 spot. Then Haslem, Chalmers, Turiaf contributing another 10-15 pts.

Also, the Bulls went on a 12-2 run yesterday because Spo left the Heat without Wade or James for 5 mins in the beginning of the 2nd Q. Brilliant F'ing job. He tries to rest them and then we go to OT. Good stuff. Play them 40 mins and rest them all game vs CHA. Our bench should win by double digits vs the Bobcats in Miami without much help if any from the big 3.

Heat went on a 12-0 run to end the 2nd when us and miller were next to teh big 3. losing ud in the 2nd half was huge, cant say enough how big a blow that was.

And yea, sit the big 3 tonight for sure, but its a home game and teams dont usually sit their stars in home games so let bosh get 30min if anything, but there is absloutley no reason to play lebron and wade tonight. None.

Rndy
04-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Why doesn't JJ ever play? He's such an amazing shooter who spreads the floor. I mean I understand his defense isn't great but Heats team defense would more then make up for it.

justinnum1
04-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Why doesn't JJ ever play? He's such an amazing shooter who spreads the floor. I mean I understand his defense isn't great but Heats team defense would more then make up for it.

you just said it, his defense sucks and he probably wont be part of the playoff rotation anyways

cubbies7177
04-13-2012, 01:57 PM
He's right in the sense that it is tough to build a good bench given that 3 players make so much money. With that said, I still think the Heat have a pretty solid bench talent-wise, but I think Spo is using his role players incorrectly.

For example, I know Cole can be a liability, but I don't think the experiment of letting Lebron play the entire 2nd half worked in your favor. He - along with every other NBA player - needs rest to be effective. This isn't 2K.

The only real need I see for the Heat is a legitimate big man, but let's be real, this team doesn't need anything. They have had the potential to win it all since all 3 came to Miami. They don't need Nash or any other big name free agent. So, please stop these threads with "We need this or that..." because your team is stacked, and if they perform, they should win it all.

Just comes down to execution. Everyone knows depth matters less in the playoffs (unless you are an old or injured team - Celtics, Spurs).

naps
04-13-2012, 08:29 PM

Why? Because I am stating what I feel about this team? Does that apply to you if they don't win it all? Then we have a deal. Let me know.

effen5
04-14-2012, 09:20 AM
you just said it, his defense sucks and he probably wont be part of the playoff rotation anyways

Seriously? Then play him with the second unit....you guys were strugging when bron and wade were on the bnech, why not play him and let him shoot his threes....I always remember JJ knocking down big shots against the bulls....

MTL_123
04-14-2012, 11:08 AM
I think our bench is gonna step up come plyoff time because everone on this team knows that our real season starts in the playoffs and that if they suck most likey their not gonna be on this team next year. its gonna be like their playing for a roster spot nxt year. So thats why im not that worried

Duddy
04-14-2012, 11:53 AM
I can see our bench being a top 16 in the playoffs :worthy:

Wade>You
04-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Our bench doesn't suck, Spo's rotations suck.

Our best bench players after UD and Miller are our younger guys in Cole, Harris, and Pittman.

Unfortunately, Harris and Pittman don't get the PT they've earned and that this team desperately needs.

Laker Legend42
04-14-2012, 10:33 PM
With shortened rotations the heat should fine. Two of the three stars should be on the floor at all times. If bron bron would develope a post game the heat would be near unstoppable. He still has no counter for teams that have the ability to keep him from driving to the bucket.

justinnum1
04-14-2012, 10:35 PM
With shortened rotations the heat should fine. Two of the three stars should be on the floor at all times. If bron bron would develope a post game the heat would be near unstoppable. He still has no counter for teams that have the ability to keep him from driving to the bucket.

Brons post game is among the best in the league...he just doesnt use it enough

Laker Legend42
04-15-2012, 01:45 AM
Brons post game is among the best in the league...he just doesnt use it enough
Really? The only thing he does in the post is a fall away jumper. Since he's been in the league the lack of a post game is his one major flaw.

Wade>You
04-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Shortened rotation on full display: A 1pt lead against against the 8th seeded Knicks.

And LeBron has a great post-up game --- when he wants to go to it. Reference the first quarter of the season.

The bball IQ of some of the members of this board is truly entertaining.

beasted86
04-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Really? The only thing he does in the post is a fall away jumper. Since he's been in the league the lack of a post game is his one major flaw.

What does Kobe do 9 out of 10 times in the elbow post?

The only non PF/C players I see constantly using the post to try and attack the basket is Wade and Carmelo when he feels like it (but he falls in love with mid-range jumpers too, thus the low FG%). All other guard/wing post up players -- Kobe, Pierce, LeBron, etc.. use the post to setup a closer mid-range shot.

Nonetheless, LeBron is extremely efficient in the post as far as FG%. I don't feel like looking it up, but there are enough articles that if you cared for facts instead of opinions, you could find them. If LeBron attacked more than shooting jumpers, his FG% wouldn't only be rising to the 53% it's at, he'd be closer to 60% FG%.

justinnum1
04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Shane Battier, Mario Chalmers, Norris Cole, Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller have shot a combined 37 percent since the All-Star break.

Ouch.

Rain City
04-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Lack of bench and lack of bigs.....Outside of Bosh all of the other bigs are good 11th man-type players.

Laker Legend42
04-16-2012, 05:46 PM
What does Kobe do 9 out of 10 times in the elbow post?

The only non PF/C players I see constantly using the post to try and attack the basket is Wade and Carmelo when he feels like it (but he falls in love with mid-range jumpers too, thus the low FG%). All other guard/wing post up players -- Kobe, Pierce, LeBron, etc.. use the post to setup a closer mid-range shot.

Nonetheless, LeBron is extremely efficient in the post as far as FG%. I don't feel like looking it up, but there are enough articles that if you cared for facts instead of opinions, you could find them. If LeBron attacked more than shooting jumpers, his FG% wouldn't only be rising to the 53% it's at, he'd be closer to 60% FG%.
Kobe has step through moves with a few more tricks thrown in. Imagine if bron went down low more often. Most defenders would be rendered useless. You can't muscle him and he could face up against bigger players and go around them. At times he allows lesser players keep him on the perimeter. Or should I say he settles.the heat is still my pick to win it all I'm just says he's already the scariest talent in the league. Imagine if he completely rounds out his game and start to attack from everywhere on the floor.:speechless:

justinnum1
04-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Kobe has step through moves with a few more tricks thrown in. Imagine if bron went down low more often. Most defenders would be rendered useless. You can't muscle him and he could face up against bigger players and go around them. At times he allows lesser players keep him on the perimeter. Or should I say he settles.the heat is still my pick to win it all I'm just says he's already the scariest talent in the league. Imagine if he completely rounds out his game and start to attack from everywhere on the floor.:speechless:

How old was kobe when he really started to use his post game a lot?

beasted86
04-16-2012, 05:55 PM

Same thing was and still is said about Kobe. He takes far too many jumpshot FGs instead of attacking. No matter about step through moves and turning the corner and driving in, Kobe still uses the post 90% of the time to shoot a fadeaway or lean in jumper. Nobody knows what these players are thinking and why they play the way they play.

In everybody's mind, nobody can stop LeBron from getting to the basket if he really wanted to get to the basket.... but he really doesn't even need to use the post to attack the basket if he really wanted to be relentless in driving in, he could do that from the elbow facing up if he wanted to.

But nonetheless, like I said, LeBron is very efficient in the post, he just needs to commit himself to it more, and when the game is on the line use it as a go to move just as naturally as he makes plays facing up at the elbow. Though the thing is, all this said about his lack of post play, he's doing so bad without it he's arguably the best player in the NBA... go figure. :rolleyes:

NoahH
04-17-2012, 07:16 PM
I don't think it will hurt. Most teams shorten their benches anyways during the playoffs. Bench spark is nice but would you rather have LBJ playing 40mpg with a lil bench help or 36mpg with more bench help? More LBJ = better

piratepete
04-18-2012, 11:39 PM
what scare me is this is second year under contract and they can dump contract after 3 years what would make you think they will stay together under so mush pressure with lack of help from bench players and starters to tell u the truth beside wade lebron and anthony i dont see mush hustle in the game of any one . P.S the big two

justinnum1
04-18-2012, 11:41 PM
what scare me is this is second year under contract and they can dump contract after 3 years what would make you think they will stay together under so mush pressure with lack of help from bench players and starters to tell u the truth beside wade lebron and anthony i dont see mush hustle in the game of any one . P.S the big two

After 4 years...so the players(cant see wade going anywhere)bosh and lebron can opt out in summer of 2014

piratepete
04-19-2012, 12:26 AM
that make me feel alot better