PDA

View Full Version : Dwight does not get nearly enough shots a game

NYSpirit1
04-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Looking at his efficiency, 20.6 points per game on 57.3% shooting with only 13.4 shots a game.

For an elite player with just role players surrounding him, this is absurd. In his heyday, Shaq was getting 19-21 shots a game even with Kobe on his team. And if you're going to mention free throws, Shaq and Dwight average 10 FT attempts a game and both shoot/shot 50% from the line.

I think this could resonate why Howard has hostility towards Stan Van Gundy, even though he doesn't want to admit it.

Howard isn't as gifted offensively as some stars in the league, but when it comes to the "man" on their team, Howard is amongst the lowest in the league with shot attempts.

I think he could easily average 25-30 a game if he got 20 shots a game, but he just doesn't. Seeing this, he'd work much better with another star on another team to take the attention and double teams off himself, which I don't know why he extended with Orlando one more year.

He really needs to join Deron Williams in NJ, Kobe in LA or Rose in Chicago.

D12 fan
04-13-2012, 12:14 AM
This is why SVG will be fired after the playoffs,and the Magic need to get a pass first pg to feed the ball to Dwight down low.Steve Nash anyone?

GSWFanInLA
04-13-2012, 12:15 AM
It's hard to get shots off when teams send multiple players at you whenever you get the ball in the low post. He get's plenty of touches but a lot of those touches turn into kick outs for an open 3 pointer.

He averaged 27 ppg against the Hawks in last year's playoffs when they decided to cover him with one player,unfortunately no one else showed up for the Magic so they lost.

Raph12
04-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Dwight has always complained about touches in Stan's system; during the 2009 playoffs, he said "you have a dominant big, so let him be dominant". It's no surprise if he wanted Stan gone, he's never really seen eye-to-eye with him.

As for his touches, we (Magic fans) have always complained that he didn't get the ball enough, but what can you do?

eibbor
04-13-2012, 12:33 AM
I know I'm bout to get killed for saying the truth here..... But let's be honest, if DH was gonna have an offensive game he would have it by now...

Every team in the nba besides Orlando is lucky he wasn't traded.

Raph12
04-13-2012, 01:03 AM
I know I'm bout to get killed for saying the truth here..... But let's be honest, if DH was gonna have an offensive game he would have it by now...

No one would "kill" you if your opinion had any validity to it... Dwight creates 51% of his points on his own and statistically is the best post option in the league for the last 2-3 seasons.

Maybe post some stats and facts before spewing garbage statements you heard on ESPN in 2008, and you wouldn't get "killed" anymore.

D12 fan
04-13-2012, 01:12 AM

:facepalm:Just stick to watching your colts play,Andrew Luck better watch out for Robert Griffin the 3rd,he will be the better QB long term.

knicks4life33
04-13-2012, 01:15 AM
when you get triple and double teamed your going to have yo pass the ball

eibbor
04-13-2012, 01:35 AM
:facepalm:Just stick to watching your colts play,Andrew Luck better watch out for Robert Griffin the 3rd,he will be the better QB long term.

You can face palm yourself for saying that. Put it in your sig if you have balls... RG will have more int than td next year and will prob end up injured. Luck will do more with less talent.

DH has no jump shot, no post moves and can't hit free throws and will never win a title as the number 1 of a team.

Raph12
04-13-2012, 01:41 AM
DH has no jump shot, no post moves and can't hit free throws and will never win a title as the number 1 of a team.

He doesn't have a jump shot and doesn't shoot FTs well, but has enough moves to dominate the post like he has for the last 2-3 years. He creates most of his baskets on his own, if he has a great playmaker who could get him easy baskets (like Penny/Kobe/Wade did for Shaq), he could easily drop 25+ppg as well... Hell he averaged 23ppg last season, the difference this year has been his surprisingly low FT percentage (career-low).

He may not win as the #1 scoring option, but he can definitely be the best player on a championship team.

eibbor
04-13-2012, 01:49 AM
He doesn't have a jump shot and doesn't shoot FTs well, but has enough moves to dominate the post like he has for the last 2-3 years. He creates most of his baskets on his own, if he has a great playmaker who could get him easy baskets (like Penny/Kobe/Wade did for Shaq), he could easily drop 25+ppg as well... Hell he averaged 23ppg last season, the difference this year has been his surprisingly low FT percentage (career-low).

He may not win as the #1 scoring option, but he can definitely be the best player on a championship team.

He doesn't dominate the post and will never be a number 1 option on a team that wins it all. He, without question, doesn't create most of his own shots.

A lot of players can average 25 on a team that is a weak playoff team at best.. Which isn't hard in the east

GSWFanInLA
04-13-2012, 02:01 AM
He doesn't dominate the post and will never be a number 1 option on a team that wins it all. He, without question, doesn't create most of his own shots.

A lot of players can average 25 on a team that is a weak playoff team at best.. Which isn't hard in the east

You're crazy. You realize Dwight is the center of both the Magic's offense and defense. He demands double teams, all they did would do is feed Dwight and he would kick it out for an open 3. And there's no one that impacts a game on defense more than Dwight Howard.

He carried the Magic to the NBA finals and he was just 3 wins away from an NBA title.

D12 fan
04-13-2012, 09:55 AM
You can face palm yourself for saying that. Put it in your sig if you have balls... RG will have more int than td next year and will prob end up injured. Luck will do more with less talent.

:punish:Go to your room,your grounded for talking reckless,never wish injury towards a player.

Ill21
04-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Isn't this an NBA thread?

asandhu23
04-13-2012, 10:22 AM

um... have you ever seen Andrew Luck play? I am a Cal fan and I hate Stanford but he is the most talented QB in Bay Area since Aaron Rodgers....

blystr2002
04-13-2012, 11:01 AM
He doesn't have a good offensive game, which is why he doesn't get the shots. He is a monster rebounder and goes up with power and authority with dunks and put backs, which is why his percentage is so high. You can't just feed him the ball and have him make a offensive move and create a shot. He doesn't have the footwork or skill. He plays with a bunch of jumpshooters, so this is perfect for his skill set off the misses.

As for the Shaq comparison, Shaq size often makes people overlook the fact that he had incredible footwork for a big man and had some good post moves.

thenaj17
04-13-2012, 11:26 AM
It's hard to get shots off when teams send multiple players at you whenever you get the ball in the low post. He get's plenty of touches but a lot of those touches turn into kick outs for an open 3 pointer.

He averaged 27 ppg against the Hawks in last year's playoffs when they decided to cover him with one player,unfortunately no one else showed up for the Magic so they lost.

Why has he never averaged more than 2 assists per game in his entire career then? Shaq was still getting double teamed every game even with Kobe on the floor at the same time. He still managed to dominate defenders. Not like Dwight has many good centres to contend with these days. He should man up and should be scoring 30ppg. Half the point difference would be made up by getting his ***** to the gym to shoot free throws instead of doing weights.

rapjuicer06
04-13-2012, 12:06 PM
He doesn't have a good offensive game, which is why he doesn't get the shots. He is a monster rebounder and goes up with power and authority with dunks and put backs, which is why his percentage is so high. You can't just feed him the ball and have him make a offensive move and create a shot. He doesn't have the footwork or skill. He plays with a bunch of jumpshooters, so this is perfect for his skill set off the misses.

As for the Shaq comparison, Shaq size often makes people overlook the fact that he had incredible footwork for a big man and had some good post moves.

Wrong...try again. Dwight gets points off of put backs yes. But he has a damn good spin move, he has a baby hook with the right and left hand, has been developing a bank shot from about 10-12 feet out, has a good drop step move as well.

It goes like this for Orlando...They have three point shooters, and Dwight. When the 3 point shooters are on, Dwight does not get the ball, because well...the 3 point shooters are on. When the 3 point shooters are off, Dwight gets the ball non stop, and gets doubled and he kicks the ball out to the open guy who misses the shot. Dwight has no one who slashes to the hoop. Everyone stands on the 3 point line. Give Dwight someone, anyone, who slashes to the hoop, and it'd be a completely different story. Give Dwight, Monta Ellis, Iggy, Eric Gordon or someone like those guys and it'd be a completely different outcome.

Shaq had Penny/Kobe/Wade/Nash/PP/LBJ to play with through out his career. Thats ****ing ridiculous. Dwight has had Hedo, Nelson, Lewis, a 34 year old Vince Carter...woohoo

Why has he never averaged more than 2 assists per game in his entire career then? Shaq was still getting double teamed every game even with Kobe on the floor at the same time. He still managed to dominate defenders. Not like Dwight has many good centres to contend with these days. He should man up and should be scoring 30ppg. Half the point difference would be made up by getting his ***** to the gym to shoot free throws instead of doing weights.

Read above

Donuts365
04-13-2012, 12:26 PM

this deserves a faceplam

D12 fan
04-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Everybody keeps saying his has no offensive game but he still gets 20ppg,I guess he get all his points off dunks and putbacks.Watch the Magic play on a regular basis,and you will see he has a running hook,and he has developed a nice shake move in the paint.

Chronz
04-13-2012, 01:03 PM
I would love to see Dwight in a system that force feeds him every possession

rapjuicer06
04-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Or just with another competent player

Raph12
04-13-2012, 03:34 PM

Dwight creates more points on his own merit than any big in the league; any big; I dare you to go find one (averaging atleast 15ppg or higher) that creates for himself more than Dwight.

Please son, you don't know what you're talking about; the Magic were #4 in the league in '09, #2 in the league in '10, #5 in the league in '11 and until the stretch where Dwight got injured, the Magic were #5 in the league this season as well. The Magic have made it to the NBA Finals and the ECFs twice in the last 4 years, what has your Pacers done?

If Dwight was traded for Duncan in the offseason, the Spurs would win the ship this season, with Dwight as their leading scorer... Having a great team built around you is a blessing, not a given.

Lake_Show2416
04-13-2012, 03:41 PM
& it doesnt help when ur faking an injury either

5ass
04-13-2012, 03:53 PM

Where do u people get this ******** from? Dwights faking an injury now? This season dwights the new lebron, people just want ti blindly hate the guy and make up complete ******** along the way.

Raph12
04-13-2012, 03:59 PM

He has a soft-tissue tear in his lower back, caused by an elbow thrown into his back by Brendan Haywood and then against the Sixers, he aggravated it when he blocked Iggy and fell to the floor.

Talk about hate; atleast he didn't rape his cleaning lady.

5ass
04-13-2012, 04:02 PM
I would love to see Dwight in a system that force feeds him every possession

Thats the thing though we shouldnt be doing that, we have to run more plays with dwight and get him the ball within the offense. He also should be getting much more buckets in transition, very few centers can run with him, but we dont play transition offense. I feel like in this system SVG limits what howard can do.
Problem is our best pick n roll player is hedo and hes barely good. Meanwhile bynum has kobe, sessions and gasol to run the pick n roll with.

Lake_Show2416
04-13-2012, 04:34 PM
He has a soft-tissue tear in his lower back, caused by an elbow thrown into his back by Brendan Haywood and then against the Sixers, he aggravated it when he blocked Iggy and fell to the floor.

Talk about hate; atleast he didn't rape his cleaning lady.

ya its so hard for some1 to make painful faces for the cameras, u can buy into it all u want but the timing & prior issues leading up to this "injury" isnt a coincidence

many players play hurt, hardly anyone is playing 100% healthy, Dwight just needed a small excuse/opportunity to shut this team out, his guy doesnt miss games... u kidding me?? He's just being his ***** self

5ass
04-13-2012, 04:53 PM
ya its so hard for some1 to make painful faces for the cameras, u can buy into it all u want but the timing & prior issues leading up to this "injury" isnt a coincidence

many players play hurt, hardly anyone is playing 100% healthy, Dwight just needed a small excuse/opportunity to shut this team out, his guy doesnt miss games... u kidding me?? He's just being his ***** self
Kobe is also faking an injury.
See i can make up **** too.

Lake_Show2416
04-13-2012, 05:13 PM

i'm sure of it, Kobe's the 1st player to complain & sit out when hurt :laugh2:

Eg714
04-13-2012, 05:28 PM
:facepalm:

Teeboy1487
04-13-2012, 05:29 PM

:laugh2:

5ass
04-13-2012, 05:35 PM

Wow if u didnt get that i was being sarcastic u must be really really dumb. The next sentence was a clear indication. So ur either stupid or just playing stupid to make me look bad when infact ur the one that looks like a dumbass here. Good job.

Chronz
04-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Thats the thing though we shouldnt be doing that, we have to run more plays with dwight and get him the ball within the offense. He also should be getting much more buckets in transition, very few centers can run with him, but we dont play transition offense. I feel like in this system SVG limits what howard can do.
Problem is our best pick n roll player is hedo and hes barely good. Meanwhile bynum has kobe, sessions and gasol to run the pick n roll with.

Im not speaking as a fan of the Magic when I say that, Im speaking strictly for selfish reasons as a Dwight fan. Maybe unleashing Dwight in an old school Amare type role would be whats best for his offense, albeit with more post ups but that would be a waste of the passing game hes trying to incorporate. The roster is trash no doubt about that but he has very little control over who he gets to play with, and unless they have some hidden gems on the bench, their players aint fit to run and gun.
May as well force feed him and give him a crash lesson in being a sole option, it will either expose or develop his game and end the discussion.

Hakeem wasnt a great offensive player from day 1, Dwight still has time to make an offensive jump, but it wont happen without force feeding him the way all the other greats learned.

Fnom11
04-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Eric Gordon+Howard would be a nice combo

D12 fan
04-13-2012, 07:33 PM

Yeah,but how will they get him?

Dwight: Hey EG,come join me in Orlando,me and you would be a great combo man?

EG: Yeah we would be a great duo,do yall have the caproom to sign me?

Dwight: Yeah man we have the MLE?

EG: Hangs up the phone.

Dwight: Hello,you still there?

EG: beep,beep,beep

Dwight: D***,he hung up.:facepalm:

Raph12
04-13-2012, 07:49 PM

Dwight has missed about 10 games his whole career, so if he says he's hurt, he's hurt. If you watched him play the Philly game, you'd notice a significant difference in his play. He was doing his best to avoid contact, wasn't exploding into the sky like he usually does and despite that, played 44 mins, grabbed 22 rebounds and shut the paint down.

I know you always think someone's acting because you're an LA fan; you're used to seeing Pau, CP3 and Blake flop like *****es and pretend like they're getting hit when they're not. Don't worry, Dwight is not Bynum, he's be back in the lineup and will continue to play his 75+ games/season, regardless of the jersey he's wearing.

You should worry more about grandpa Kobe and his 25+shots per game.

Im not speaking as a fan of the Magic when I say that, Im speaking strictly for selfish reasons as a Dwight fan. Maybe unleashing Dwight in an old school Amare type role would be whats best for his offense, albeit with more post ups but that would be a waste of the passing game hes trying to incorporate. The roster is trash no doubt about that but he has very little control over who he gets to play with, and unless they have some hidden gems on the bench, their players aint fit to run and gun.
May as well force feed him and give him a crash lesson in being a sole option, it will either expose or develop his game and end the discussion.

Hakeem wasnt a great offensive player from day 1, Dwight still has time to make an offensive jump, but it wont happen without force feeding him the way all the other greats learned.

Definitely agree, we've never given him the room he needs to truly just dominate the ball. If we really wanted him to be an offensive force like Dream or Shaq or even Ewing, we should have force fed the post and groomed him into that type of player.

I'd love to see how he'd handle getting 20-40 shots per game a la Shaq.

5ass
04-13-2012, 08:06 PM

I honestly feel that if u put a healthy gordon on the magic they become favorites to win the title.

eibbor
04-13-2012, 11:51 PM
:punish:Go to your room,your grounded for talking reckless,never wish injury towards a player.

I didn't wish an injury, just think with the style of play it is likely.

But I'm cool, the alcohol is in my room! :)

P.s. Kinda cool reading what I wrote last night! Jack Daniels is not your friend lol

D12 fan
04-14-2012, 12:10 AM
I didn't wish an injury, just think with the style of play it is likely.

But I'm cool, the alcohol is in my room! :)

P.s. Kinda cool reading what I wrote last night! Jack Daniels is not your friend lol

Wow im talking to a drunk,get a life dude.:facepalm:

eibbor
04-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Wow im talking to a drunk,get a life dude.:facepalm:

lmao No, no... You aren't talking to your moms boyfriend...

People take things so serioulsly!

jimm120
04-14-2012, 01:55 AM
Guess Dwight won't get enough shots now.