PDA

View Full Version : Scouting of Andre Drummond

Il Mago50
04-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Alright guys so I need your help. I'm a Raptors fan and I'm looking at the upcoming draft for my team to take a big step forward.

That being said, one guy that I just can't get my head wrapped around is Andre Drummond. The guy is massive at 6'11, 260-270 and yet to me as a former post, he looks really soft on the court. A lot of things he does reminds me of what I did as a finesse post: really quite releasing of shots down low almost as if he's just trying to get it up as soon as possible and doesn't seem to have any moves. He doesn't seem to be able to get low and hold his position down low and I see him getting pushed around which shouldn't be happening at his size.

Rebounding wise, the guy just doesn't seem to me like he boxes out at all, just jumps for the ball mostly without that effort to gain position.

Overall, as a physical speciman, the guy is ridiculous but as a ball player, he looks like **** unless catching a lob for a dunk.

Can anyone who's been watching him throughout the year give me the low down on the guy?

Cfrey
04-12-2012, 07:49 PM
he'll bust

jimbobjarree
04-12-2012, 07:51 PM
I'd hope my team resists the temptation if they were to draft in the top 5

Il Mago50
04-12-2012, 09:19 PM
That bad? Anyone got a breakdown of the guy?

JEDean89
04-12-2012, 09:31 PM
i would take him anywhere after 5 also. i think he can be a nene type player. an athletic freak but one who never lives up to his potential. that said uconn was a mess this year and i don't know if we should really base drummond at his young age during what he did on a team like that. he could be really really good if he lands in the right place and is mature enough.

waveycrockett
04-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Hasheem Thabeet 2.0

RipCity32
04-12-2012, 09:57 PM
He was a top prospect coming into the college season and he never delivered.He will be a project in the NBA but could end up being a great player after some invested time.

beasted86
04-12-2012, 10:07 PM
He was a top prospect coming into the college season and he never delivered.He will be a project in the NBA but could end up being a great player after some invested time.

And work ethic.

But OP, you are right, his game is more finesse than power. He probably had a growth spurt at an older age and thus plays like a guard. Just my guess.

kenzo400
04-12-2012, 10:08 PM
He is either going to be a superstar (Dwight Howard type) or a decent big man (10 points, 10 rebounds) I don't see him being a bust. He is too good of a physical specimen.

Considering the league is still low on decent big men, i would say he should be in the top 5.

MagicBucsSox
04-12-2012, 10:15 PM
That bad? Anyone got a breakdown of the guy?

See darius miles. This guy has great ability and stunk it up at uconn. 4pts in the tourney. 3 Rebs. He deserves to be a 2nd rder.

da ThRONe
04-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I think he'll be special, but it will take time and effort on his part. I see a very athletic Andrew Bynum more than Dwight Howard.

sunsfan88
04-12-2012, 10:59 PM
He's the next Amare. And just like A'mare, he's gonna be a poor defender and rebounder also.

mightymouse407
04-12-2012, 11:13 PM
And work ethic.

But OP, you are right, his game is more finesse than power. He probably had a growth spurt at an older age and thus plays like a guard. Just my guess.

watched high school film of him before he went to uconn and dude has some good handles and passing abililty for a big guy. i was hyped on him but didnt watch many uconn games and when i did he wasnt spectacular but uconn wasnt what uconn usually is but he will b taking in the top 15 just because of size alone

Cal827
04-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Lmao, Mago, what the hell.. Our front court is set for next year.. Most likely Bargnani and Jonas... we don't need another guy in the front court. I'm hoping we end up in the range to get either MKG or Barnes what would that be, 2-6ish most likely?. I actually don't even want 1st overall, you know unless Charlotte offers their high pick, plus their nex 3 unprotecteds for it... I just have a bad feeling about Davis too.

Lake_Show2416
04-12-2012, 11:34 PM
great athlete & big but raw, i see worst case turning into DeAndre Jordan, best case Drummond turns into a top center which isnt hard these days

UPRock
04-12-2012, 11:54 PM
So he's entering the draft after all? What a mistake.

Silent
04-13-2012, 12:11 AM
i see 3 or 4 years to get him nba ready

tmacsc2
04-13-2012, 12:15 AM
He is an amare type player!

HouRealCoach
04-13-2012, 12:32 AM
ALL of you guys were calling him the next great just last year lol

Saying he was Dwight Howard with handling/passing skills

LOL Hilarious but this draft as far as Perry Jones, Harrison Barnes, Cody Zeller, Damian Lillard, Moulrie, Leonard, Quincy Miller, John Henson, Kendall Marshall, and people calling Anthony Davis a mixture of Tim Duncan, Wilt, and Bill Russell and saying he can bring the Bobcats to a 50-win team(which is RIDICULOUS)... This draft has alot of potential BUSTS

Il Mago50
04-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Lmao, Mago, what the hell.. Our front court is set for next year.. Most likely Bargnani and Jonas... we don't need another guy in the front court. I'm hoping we end up in the range to get either MKG or Barnes what would that be, 2-6ish most likely?. I actually don't even want 1st overall, you know unless Charlotte offers their high pick, plus their nex 3 unprotecteds for it... I just have a bad feeling about Davis too.

ahaha I know man but if Drummond were to pan out, imagine a Drummond-Jonas post duo in a couple years. That's the thing though, we have Bargs as our all-star PF for the next few years which means we could afford to bring Drummond along slowly similar to how Favors is being treated. If we end up at 5-6, why not do it???

As for Davis, I 100% agree, I dont see KG in him, rather someone along the lines of Marcus Camby. If we were to end up with the 1st pick, I would immediately try to trade it for a few unprotected picks to a team like Charlotte or New Orleans to open up the door for future high picks since I don't see how we aren't a playoff caliber team next year.

It's just that after Lamb and MKG, Drummond is such an intriguing prospect...

Nomar
04-13-2012, 01:06 AM
I go to UConn, the guy has zero hands. He;s probably a dud, but he's athletic unlike Thabeet so we'll see. He did more harm than good for UConn though, definitely a project.

thekmp211
04-13-2012, 09:07 AM
I go to UConn, the guy has zero hands. He;s probably a dud, but he's athletic unlike Thabeet so we'll see. He did more harm than good for UConn though, definitely a project.

not sure about that. he is raw offensively, but he was at best the 6th option on offense at any given time. most of the time, he was just a paint anchor and i'll say this -- he will be an elite defender in the nba if nothing else.

i was high on drummond as a uconn homer this year (not better than davis, not even close...) and watched him very closely. dude is an elite athlete, has great defensive presence and awareness. he would be able to pick off a pass from guard to guard on the peremiter by jumping the play from the PAINT .. breakaway dunk. special stuff.

stone hands, i'd be more worried about their size and i don't know how big they are. it's just not fair to judge his offensive repertoir because he was rarely ever featured. dude had a decent hook with his right hand, and can obviously be a tyson chandler type if he can just get alley oops and hit some FT's.

he's smart to come out this year, because he's still a freshman with potential and UCONN has no tourney eligibilty next year. his sophomore season would almost certainly lower his stock. i think he will be good/great pro in 3-5 years, but he's definitely not the #1 talent like some thought he was a year ago.

Iodine
04-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Do we really have to talk about Drummond again?

I am going to lay off my opinion of him since that wont end well for anyone, but why on earth would the raptors draft him when they have much more pressing needs?

thekmp211
04-13-2012, 12:13 PM

I am going to lay off my opinion of him since that wont end well for anyone, but why on earth would the raptors draft him when they have much more pressing needs?

i must have missed the discussion. being that hes probably a top 5 pick, and there is no consensus on him, i think the debate is fair game.

not sure where toronto came up. jersey, detroit, golden state .. these are teams that could use and develop him.

da ThRONe
04-13-2012, 12:17 PM

I think the gerenal opinion right now is bust. So I don't think you'll upset anybody with your criticism.

mjt20mik
04-13-2012, 12:24 PM

I really think TOR is gonna pursue a 3 very hard in the draft. By the looks of it, though we may be set for a couple of problems if MKG goes top 3 and Cavs have say a pick before us. Cause we know Barnes and Irving are close friends.

Rain City
04-13-2012, 12:26 PM
He profiles alot like Kwame Brown. Great size, good athleticism, questionable heart.

bucketss
04-13-2012, 12:27 PM
ahaha I know man but if Drummond were to pan out, imagine a Drummond-Jonas post duo in a couple years. That's the thing though, we have Bargs as our all-star PF for the next few years which means we could afford to bring Drummond along slowly similar to how Favors is being treated. If we end up at 5-6, why not do it???

As for Davis, I 100% agree, I dont see KG in him, rather someone along the lines of Marcus Camby. If we were to end up with the 1st pick, I would immediately try to trade it for a few unprotected picks to a team like Charlotte or New Orleans to open up the door for future high picks since I don't see how we aren't a playoff caliber team next year.

It's just that after Lamb and MKG, Drummond is such an intriguing prospect...

if we get davis and we trade him lol **** this team im done with them

Robbw241
04-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Putting my love of MKG aside, I'd take him over anyone not named Anthony Davis. He will be good but not have an immediate impact.

da ThRONe
04-13-2012, 12:45 PM
He profiles alot like Kwame Brown. Great size, good athleticism, questionable heart.

Drummond has great size, great athleticism.

Not to mention I see a great base for post play. Not sure Brown ever had that base to be a great post player on top of small hands and good(not great athleticism). However after his year at UCONN the heart questions are very fair.

Iodine
04-13-2012, 12:48 PM
i must have missed the discussion. being that hes probably a top 5 pick, and there is no consensus on him, i think the debate is fair game.

not sure where toronto came up. jersey, detroit, golden state .. these are teams that could use and develop him.

Not really with anyone in this thread, but there was something a while back where a guy would not give up calling drummond god 2.0

and the top of page someone says raptors IIRC

I just pretty much hate most mock drafts, especially this early.

da ThRONe
04-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Not really with anyone in this thread, but there was something a while back where a guy would not give up calling drummond god 2.0

and the top of page someone says raptors IIRC

I just pretty much hate most mock drafts, especially this early.

Yeah

Mock Drafts - Lottery day = Meaning less

Iodine
04-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Pretty much an example

2008: Guys, think the bulls should trade up to try to get a 2-guard?

*Bulls win lottery and Rose*
Every bulls fan alive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU

Toxeryll
04-13-2012, 04:52 PM
bust

Fresno
04-13-2012, 05:32 PM
He'll be a beast in the NBA if they let him play Power Forward.

Drummond reminds me of Amare, in that he could possibly play Center but he doesn't have a good post game and doesn't like to get physical in the paint.

You can't really teach that mentality. Some guys are power finesse than power players.

Drummond is about 6'10 260lbs but why is he considered a Center when Blake Griffin is 6'10 251 lbs and is a Power Forward???

beasted86
04-13-2012, 05:44 PM
He'll be a beast in the NBA if they let him play Power Forward.

Drummond reminds me of Amare, in that he could possibly play Center but he doesn't have a good post game and doesn't like to get physical in the paint.

You can't really teach that mentality. Some guys are power finesse than power players.

Drummond is about 6'10 260lbs but why is he considered a Center when Blake Griffin is 6'10 251 lbs and is a Power Forward???

Because Blake Griffin isn't really 6'10"

I always find it funny when these players wear high heel stiletto shoes to the draft combine that have a 2" lift in them. Blake Griffin is about 6'9" with real shoes, he doesn't have long arms, and is not the type of player you want as your last line of defense in the paint.

Fresno
04-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Because Blake Griffin isn't really 6'10"

I always find it funny when these players wear high heel stiletto shoes to the draft combine that have a 2" lift in them. Blake Griffin is about 6'9" with real shoes, he doesn't have long arms, and is not the type of player you want as your last line of defense in the paint.

Yes, Blake Griffin is 6'10 in shoes.

He measured out at 6'8.5 without shoes at the combine 3 years ago. So you're telling me he's only .5 inches taller with "real shoes"? By "real shoes" are we talking slippers? These guys play every single game in the same pair of Nike shoes that adds on 1-1.5 inches to their height, they're hardly high heel stilletos if you've actually worn them when playing bball. I don't think it makes much sense to go to the same arguement about how tall players actually are. Nobody can tell the difference between a 6'9 or 6'10 guy looking at them side by side.

Drummond will measure out with a longer wingspan but he's not a guy who likes to play physical, which kinda makes it about even with Blake Griffin.

loublue22
04-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Putting my love of MKG aside, I'd take him over anyone not named Anthony Davis. He will be good but not have an immediate impact.

Anthony Davis will absolutely have an immediate impact. He is NBA ready in everything but strength/weight.