PDA

View Full Version : A question in team building

Chronz
04-12-2012, 03:01 PM
This is a 2 part question but Ill wait till after people answer the first question.

Starting your franchise you have 2 options, you can build your team around;

A defensive pillar, an All-Star Center who can score with his back to the basket, defend the rim, pass alil, but probably lacks the ability to carry an elite offense.

An offensive master, a gifted PF who can score in a much more diverse and efficient way that can exploit any defense and create openings for his teammates without touching the ball. The only catch is hes not going to carry a defense.

Which of these do you take and why?

ChiSox219
04-12-2012, 03:05 PM
I would take whichever player is better

Celticsfan2007
04-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Defensive pillar. Defense wins championships.

Chronz
04-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Poll added

I like your style, no traditional approach in either way. But think of it as a draft and thats what you know about these guys.
What else would you need to know about these players to come to that conclusion?

ChiSox219
04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Poll added

What else would you need to know about these players to come to that conclusion?

do you have a specific example?

EYDI819
04-12-2012, 03:16 PM
I would go for the guy that has both skills of offense and defense especially if it is a center. I am a warrior fan and I can tell you from experience with my team that having a legitimate center is Very Very Vary hard to come by. So I would start with a Solid Center.

Celticsfan2007
04-12-2012, 03:20 PM

Dwight Howard vs. Blake Griffen :shrug:

Chronz
04-12-2012, 03:25 PM

Well that was part 2 of my thread but since you asked, the comparison I had in mind was K-Love vs Bynum. I wonder if people would retake their votes if they knew the exact comparison.

I know your on board with Blake > Love, so I cant imagine you agreeing that Bynum > Blake but I would honestly start a team with Bynum (assuming healthy results) over Blake.

But Love? I have Love ahead of Blake, you obviously dont but where do you stand on this comparison? Is the offensive disparity too great to ignore?

Sactown
04-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Offensive player, You can add a legit defensive big next time him easier than someone who could carry an offense IE Ibaka,Chandler, Deandre Jordan, Big Ben
Players like this can anchor a defense.

Raph12
04-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Give me the former...

Sactown
04-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Example, I'd choose Chris Webber over Rodman

Chronz
04-12-2012, 03:33 PM

Yea but we arent talking about an offensively inept defender here. Just not an elite offensive player

EYDI819
04-12-2012, 03:33 PM

RODMAN is not a center though. Your choices are either a Center or a PF. If you are going to pick webber, then my question is would you get Webber or Howard?

ChiSox219
04-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Well that was part 2 of my thread but since you asked, the comparison I had in mind was K-Love vs Bynum. I wonder if people would retake their votes if they knew the exact comparison.

I know your on board with Blake > Love, so I cant imagine you agreeing that Bynum > Blake but I would honestly start a team with Bynum (assuming healthy results) over Blake.

But Love? I have Love ahead of Blake, you obviously dont but where do you stand on this comparison? Is the offensive disparity to great to ignore?

There's a PSD NBA redraft game going on right now and I drafted Griffin over Bynum so...

Celticsfan2007
04-12-2012, 03:37 PM
There's a PSD NBA redraft game going on right now and I drafted Griffin over Bynum so...

:puke:

Chronz
04-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Would you have drafted Love over Bynum was my question

EYDI819
04-12-2012, 03:50 PM

How many Centers can compare to Bynum?
How many PF can compare to Griffin?

If you have more comparison for a certain spot then that means you have more choices in that position. If you have more in that certain position which means you can afford to lose them.

It is like comparing a unicorn to a regular horse. Would you rather get the horse than the Unicorn? That is what I think about a Center because there are not alot of centers that are above average.

blastmasta26
04-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Tough question. I think I'd take the center as long as rebounding isn't compromised. Having a center who is a defensive pillar and at least a good post player means the 4 spot can be filled by a variety of different players. I think having the offensive PF would limit options at center, as you would need a defensive minded center to have a strong overall defense and compensate for the PF.

Plus, the rarity of quality centers in the league ensures the center will have easier match-ups including mismatches against the undersized frontlines in the league.

raiderposting
04-12-2012, 04:15 PM
bynum ***** on griffin

Ebbs
04-12-2012, 04:20 PM
I voted PF thinking like Dirk over Bynum. So yea I'll take Love over Bynum.

kdspurman
04-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Just look at the Knicks. Chandler or Amare.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Are we talking like a Tyson Chandler vs Blake Griffin?

Or better offensively than Tyson?

Chronz
04-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Are we talking like a Tyson Chandler vs Blake Griffin?

Or better offensively than Tyson?
Well he would be better than Tyson offensively but Tyson is special defensively so Im not going for that high of a defender.

I voted PF thinking like Dirk over Bynum. So yea I'll take Love over Bynum.
I had a feeling you would

PatsSoxKnicks
04-12-2012, 08:51 PM

lol, so simple yet so true.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-12-2012, 08:56 PM
All other things being equal, I would take the player who's at a weaker position (meaning less depth at the position). So if there happened to be few offensive monster PFs and more defensive Cs, I'd take the PF.

Kashmir13579
04-12-2012, 09:08 PM
DeAndre Jordan vs Blake?

Chronz
04-12-2012, 09:13 PM
DJ cant score with his back to the basket, more like Bynum vs Blake/Love

Kashmir13579
04-12-2012, 09:43 PM
DJ cant score with his back to the basket, more like Bynum vs Blake/Love

Bynum. The only problem is, i could see Bynum featured in a high-powered offense.

I think you always have to go with the highly-skilled 7 footers. By default.

knicks4life33
04-12-2012, 11:21 PM
dwight howard or Kevin garnett in his prime that should be a example

Sactown
04-13-2012, 12:33 AM
dwight howard or Kevin garnett in his prime that should be a example

KG is a tenacious defender.... so I don't think so.

I'm thinking more like prime C-Web or Dwight Howard

I don't say K-Love, because we don't know what his prime is yet, but I would go with Web

Cfrey
04-13-2012, 01:28 AM
I'd take Love over Bynum

CoffeeJanitor
04-13-2012, 01:58 AM
You always take the great C. They are the easiest to build around, and if you look throughout history, tend to be on championship squads very often.

Jenceman
04-13-2012, 04:26 AM
I think you have to take the Center. If it's Bynum vs. Love, I'm taking Bynum.

I would be in no way upset about getting Love though. Very close. But a 7 foot center with Bynum's skills?

His only weakness has been his health, yet he has been perfectly healthy this season outside of a sprained ankle.

Giraffes Rule
04-13-2012, 03:05 PM
I think I'd have to go with the defensive center. Perimeter scorers aren't too hard to find, so I feel like it would be easier to build a team with interior defense as the base. Though to be fair, I don't think there's a wrong answer here. If you have a great power forward or center, you can build a good team.

RiLoc
04-13-2012, 04:22 PM
If it's a true center that is a consistent defender, I would take it. I think in terms of playoff match-ups, the value of the defensive big is too great to pass up.

iliketurtles24
04-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Love

smith&wesson
04-13-2012, 05:11 PM
This is a 2 part question but Ill wait till after people answer the first question.

Starting your franchise you have 2 options, you can build your team around;

A defensive pillar, an All-Star Center who can score with his back to the basket, defend the rim, pass alil, but probably lacks the ability to carry an elite offense.

An offensive master, a gifted PF who can score in a much more diverse and efficient way that can exploit any defense and create openings for his teammates without touching the ball. The only catch is hes not going to carry a defense.

Which of these do you take and why?

speaking from personal experience when the raps had bosh we really went no where with him.

dallas took years and years to win with dirk, but once they got that defensive C to play along side him they finally won one.

its easier to find scorers then to find players who can anchor a defence.