PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley picks the Bulls to win the East.

Longhornfan1234
04-12-2012, 01:26 PM
-
Charles Barkley believes the Eastern Conference finals will be an entertaining and competitive series, but he's convinced there will be a new team advancing to the NBA Finals this year.

"I thought the (Bulls' win over the New York Knicks on Tuesday) with Rip Hamilton playing well was a great sign," Barkley said Wednesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "I really think they're the best team in the East.

"When they play Miami, it's going to be a knock-down, drag-out ..."

The Heat beat the Bulls in five games in last year's conference finals before falling to the Dallas Mavericks. The Bulls and Heat split two games so far in the regular season and play again at the United Center on Thursday.

"People talk about how they played the Bulls last year, if you go back and look at those games, every one of those games was tied with two minutes to go," Barkley said. "Every one of those games. And if Rip Hamilton can play anything like he played last night, I think the Bulls have a really good chance against the Heat. I do. I like that team.

"I think the Bulls are better."

Barkley believes if the Heat are going to do anything in the special in the playoffs, it's going to require something special from LeBron James.

"I think that LeBron James has to play at a Michael Jordan-type level every single night because that team has so many holes on it," Barkley said. "Between their bench, lack of scoring inside ... I said this earlier in the year, they're only going to go as far as LeBron James takes them.

"I like Dwyane (Wade). Dwyane is a terrific player. He got a lot of credit for winning a championship (in 2006), but if you go back and look at their series, the reason they won that series is because of Shaquille (O'Neal). He got the one game where he shot 100 free throws. But Shaquille O'Neal and Alonzo Mourning were the difference in that series. People assume he's the closer, to be honest with you, but LeBron James is the best player in the NBA. If he doesn't play at a crazy level and make those guys better, (Mario) Chalmers, Joel Anthony, Haslem, if he doesn't get those guys off, they can't win. I don't think (James) gets enough credit for that."

"Chris Bosh hasn't had a double-double in like two months," he added. "They're clearly not a good rebounding team. Their bench isn't very good. They have flaws."

And Barkley isn't worried about the sprained ankle that kept Derrick Rose out of Tuesday's win.

"I saw him working out a little bit before the game last night, so it doesn't look like it's serious," Barkley said. "The good thing for the Bulls is they're probably going to have a cakewalk the first round of the playoffs. He'll have time to get himself into game shape. Whoever they play in the first round they'll beat them.

Longhornfan1234
04-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Barkley speaks the truth about Wade's 06 championship. :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

EYDI819
04-12-2012, 01:38 PM
He kinda sounds like a legit commentator than an entertainer

Chronz
04-12-2012, 01:39 PM
If the playoffs started today I would pick them too, knowing Rose has time to get acclimated and not knowing if the Heat can regain their dominance

AIRMAR72
04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
if rose not playing yeah

xxplayerxx23
04-12-2012, 01:43 PM
not the knicks, what a dummy :D

effen5
04-12-2012, 01:43 PM
-
Charles Barkley believes the Eastern Conference finals will be an entertaining and competitive series, but he's convinced there will be a new team advancing to the NBA Finals this year.

"I thought the (Bulls' win over the New York Knicks on Tuesday) with Rip Hamilton playing well was a great sign," Barkley said Wednesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "I really think they're the best team in the East.

"When they play Miami, it's going to be a knock-down, drag-out ..."

The Heat beat the Bulls in five games in last year's conference finals before falling to the Dallas Mavericks. The Bulls and Heat split two games so far in the regular season and play again at the United Center on Thursday.

"People talk about how they played the Bulls last year, if you go back and look at those games, every one of those games was tied with two minutes to go," Barkley said. "Every one of those games. And if Rip Hamilton can play anything like he played last night, I think the Bulls have a really good chance against the Heat. I do. I like that team.

"I think the Bulls are better."

Barkley believes if the Heat are going to do anything in the special in the playoffs, it's going to require something special from LeBron James.

"I think that LeBron James has to play at a Michael Jordan-type level every single night because that team has so many holes on it," Barkley said. "Between their bench, lack of scoring inside ... I said this earlier in the year, they're only going to go as far as LeBron James takes them.

"I like Dwyane (Wade). Dwyane is a terrific player. He got a lot of credit for winning a championship (in 2006), but if you go back and look at their series, the reason they won that series is because of Shaquille (O'Neal). He got the one game where he shot 100 free throws. But Shaquille O'Neal and Alonzo Mourning were the difference in that series. People assume he's the closer, to be honest with you, but LeBron James is the best player in the NBA. If he doesn't play at a crazy level and make those guys better, (Mario) Chalmers, Joel Anthony, Haslem, if he doesn't get those guys off, they can't win. I don't think (James) gets enough credit for that."

"Chris Bosh hasn't had a double-double in like two months," he added. "They're clearly not a good rebounding team. Their bench isn't very good. They have flaws."

And Barkley isn't worried about the sprained ankle that kept Derrick Rose out of Tuesday's win.

"I saw him working out a little bit before the game last night, so it doesn't look like it's serious," Barkley said. "The good thing for the Bulls is they're probably going to have a cakewalk the first round of the playoffs. He'll have time to get himself into game shape. Whoever they play in the first round they'll beat them.

Is that true?

LongIslandIcedZ
04-12-2012, 01:44 PM
It's an interesting read. I would say just by virtue of what happened in the playoffs last year, I would make Miami the favorites. Having said that, the Bulls have a very good chance to knock them off. I want the Knicks to knock them both off, but that doesnt seem to feasible at this point. Miami vs Chicago is shaping up to look like an excellent series.

NYKnickFanatic
Wow Chuck, pretty bold prediction. Lol

NYKnickFanatic
Is that true?

Probably.

Ladies Man
04-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Its going to be a good series.. This series has been set in stone since the beginning of the season, thats what makes it interesting

Ebbs
04-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Heat I think still advance

akagiredsuns
04-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Great post Barkley. The Heat are still the favorites, but the Bulls or Boston are the only two that realistically can knock them out. Should Boston pass up Indy before the season ends and grab the 3 spot, expect an epic 2nd round showdown Celts vs Heat. That they will beat each other senseless for 7 games likely & the Bulls can just pick the spoils. Bulls in 2012. :cheers:

Durant is hype
04-12-2012, 01:53 PM

Bold prediction? LOL it's not like he picked the Celtics to win the east or something. He's talking about the team ELITE in numerous categories such as Rebounding,passing, defense. People forget they weren't 100% in the post season last year,Boozer was banged up(still can't play D when healthy),Joakim was banged up & D Rose had the ankle injury.

xxplayerxx23
04-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Barkley has gotten better, He used to be an idioit but now he makes some sense, but how does he not pick the knicks, He finally gave us a compliment, Couldnt he humor us and pick NY :P

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Shocking

HowBoutDemBulls
04-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Theres only two choices anyway

uprightciti
04-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Ummm the bulls will be faced with quite a challenge playing the knicks or the 76ers

and i dont think rose will make it threw the playoffs without sitting for several games

he is just not healthy this season
and as for rip and his success the other night against the knicks...the knicks could have won that game and almost did but it got to a point where they had to rest there bones to win the game against the bucks

cuz that was way more important

stat is back next week
lin is set to come back pretty soon possibly the first round

ooooh i cant wait!!!

kdspurman
04-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Is that true?

Pretty sure he hasn't had 1 since the all star break. Not surprising

blastmasta26
04-12-2012, 02:31 PM
As long as Rose can get fully healthy and acclimated in the offense by the beginning of the playoffs, the Bulls have a good chance of making it out of the East. The team's overall offensive efficiency has improved significantly, so even if there is no consistent #2 option, they might be able to overcome that as a team. Miami is dangerous, but Chicago has a huge rebounding advantage and their interior play has improved. Should make for a longer series than last year.

Stinkyoutsider
04-12-2012, 02:31 PM
I still think the Heat will win the series but I think it's going to be much closer. Chuck is right though on the Lebron point. It looks like the Heat's bench are just a collection of talent right now. Doesn't seem like there's too much Chemistry. I thought Battier would be better and thought Mike Miller (finally somewhat healthy) would come out and carry the 2nd unit.

I think all the games are going to be close. If the Bulls shoot free throws like they did in New York, Miami might beat them in 5 again? I couldn't believe that Deng missed both of his attempts followed by Rose missing both of his attempts after getting fouled...

kdspurman
04-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Pretty sure he picked Dallas to win the West last year. I don't doubt the man anymore

Fnom11
04-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Barkley speaks the truth about Wade's 06 championship. :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Holy **** you're literally in every Wade bashing thread. How the hell aren't you banned yet.

JasonJohnHorn
04-12-2012, 02:39 PM
I pretty much agree with everything Barkley said.
I picked the Bulls to come out of the East and the beginning of the year, and I stand by that. The West I think is between LA and SA. Sorry OKC.

Fnom11
04-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Bold prediction? LOL it's not like he picked the Celtics to win the east or something. He's talking about the team ELITE in numerous categories such as Rebounding,passing, defense. People forget they weren't 100% in the post season last year,Boozer was banged up(still can't play D when healthy),Joakim was banged up & D Rose had the ankle injury.

He was being sarcastic....

Longhornfan1234
04-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Holy **** you're literally in every Wade bashing thread. How the hell aren't you banned yet.

I made this thread. :facepalm:

Shaq's and Mourning's impact > Wade's impact in the 06 finals.

Fnom11
04-12-2012, 02:44 PM

If that isn't the epitome of "trolling" I don't know what is.

Longhornfan1234
04-12-2012, 02:50 PM
If that isn't the epitome of "trolling" I don't know what is.

:facepalm:

Take your Wade glasses off for a minute.

The Mavs game plan was to stop and double team Shaq. Wade faced 0 double teams in the Finals because of Shaq. Also...the refs helped out Wade too.

Fnom11
04-12-2012, 02:52 PM
:facepalm:

Take your Wade glasses off for a minute.

The Mavs game plan was to stop and double team Shaq. Wade faced 0 double teams in the Finals because of Shaq.

And Wade capitalized by destroying them....That doesn't diminish how big of an impact he had lol.

Longhornfan1234
04-12-2012, 02:55 PM
And Wade capitalized by destroying them....That doesn't diminish how big of an impact he had lol.

Wade doesn't average 34 points without Shaq's presence and the refs.

Like I said, Shaq's impact > Wade's

Fnom11
04-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Wade doesn't average 34 points without Shaq's presence and the refs.

Like I said, Shaq's impact > Wade's

And Shaq wouldn't be there with Wade's presence

Wades> Shaqs

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 03:15 PM

:facepalm: Maybe if wade didnt have one of the greatest finals performances ever you would have a point, but you dont.