PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A Smith Destroys Jalen Rose for comments on Skip Bayless!

ghettosean
04-12-2012, 12:14 AM
It was a good watch (for sports writer drama). Jalen has come at Skip a few times more than just over the past few days he's been doing this stuff for a while and obviously doesn't like Skip.

Stephen A just goes H.A.M on Jalen for his comments (I liked it... Love you Stephen A)

http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/04/skip-bayless-jalen-rose-and-stephen-a-smith-got-into-a-heated-debate-on-espns-first-take-this-morning

I think Jalen got smoked badly in the end it looked like he didn't know what he was talking about and sounded more like he's still a player in the end and not currently an analyst.

Discuss the drama :laugh2:

Sportfan
04-12-2012, 12:17 AM
i saw it today randomly but i had no idea what the basis for the argument was.

it got pretty heated though with Stephen A talking about his relationship with AI

NoahH
04-12-2012, 12:35 AM
I feel bad for SKip Bayless sorta... Weird right

Cal827
04-12-2012, 12:37 AM
I feel bad for SKip Bayless sorta... Weird right

:punish: What's wrong with you?! lol

Funny, anybody want to go look into Stephen A Smith's history and find a skeleton in his closet.. It would make a great confrontation between the two lunatic "reporters"

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 12:37 AM
this si what skip is paid to do, he is paid to be the vilain, not sure how much he makes but it seems like a pretty easy job, gotta beleive its a 6 figure salary

Cfrey
04-12-2012, 12:38 AM
lol stephen a goes off

thekmp211
04-12-2012, 12:44 AM
100% right. and screamins' tone is actually almost reasonable for once. rose was disrespectful and ignorant, and still doesn't get it. on top of everything, these athletes need to grow some thick skin. skip bayless and stephen a. are like whiny little children to me, not to be taken seriously. they are entertainers. just a poor display by rose, who has not aged well.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Who'd think Stephen A Smith would call Skip Bayless a friend.

thekmp211
04-12-2012, 12:46 AM

having watched First Take way, way way too much this year, i can confirm that they actually get along great. i have great, great respect for them as entertainers to be honest. it's hard not to watch, even when you know it's staged.

Corey
04-12-2012, 12:47 AM
I hate Stephen A Smith and Skip, so..

pdurnin
04-12-2012, 12:49 AM
I love Stephen A and Skip....No doubt ESPN makes them act a certain way towards each other for ratings, and it is great fun to watch and you actually hear different sides on hot button issues....And I love Stephen A laying down the law!

ghettosean
04-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Jalen actually said that there are no scrubs in the NBA at one point in this video :pity:

That's some sad sorry **** right there! You can tell he was grasping for straws at points in this debate... lol

WadeCounty
04-12-2012, 12:52 AM
tbh I felt like Jalen won that argument, just because stephen a smith tries to yell to get a point across doesn't mean he's right. Jalen was actually a player not like the other 2 that just played hs and college basketball

cutiepie80
04-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Really? Stephen A screamed and gave Jalen a chance to talk but screamed again when he couldn't talk.

Jalen is sticking up for NBA players and athletes. Yeah, he really got owned.

cutiepie80
04-12-2012, 12:55 AM
And Skip Bayless is just an absolute coward and I love seeing him so quiet and pathetic.

ugafan
04-12-2012, 12:57 AM
I hate Stephen A Smith and Skip, so..

Same.

Both are blundering idiots.

alexander_37
04-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Skip is a coward at least Stephen A. stands behind his outlandish statements and doesn't back down.

$KnicksAndKobe$
04-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Kwame is not a scrub.

Happy Jalen?

bears88
04-12-2012, 01:09 AM
How dare they talk about Brian Scalabrine ( spelling ???) like that :mad:

Arch Stanton
04-12-2012, 01:29 AM
And now I know how Jalen Rose got his position at ESPN. It clearly had nothing to do with his Mass Comm Major.

topdog
04-12-2012, 01:30 AM
I think Jalen makes a good case for why former players shouldn't be "analysts" on t.v.

chisox721
04-12-2012, 01:34 AM
lol these guys are all idiots especially skip

ESPN is such a joke every one of their sports talk shows is garbage

BKLYNpigeon
04-12-2012, 01:37 AM
if you want real analysis of sports watch the...

NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB Network, they got it right.

ESPN is just full of characters and entertainers.

if you want Biased opinions just read the blogs on PSD.

More-Than-Most
04-12-2012, 01:43 AM
I can understand where rose is coming from...He is saying there is no scrubs in the Nba and has a point... Your 1 of a select few playing in the greatest basketball league in the world so you have to be doing something right... You can say well players outside of the league from the streets might be better but those same guys that might be better hasn't had to go up against other NBA talent...Its easy to call a guy a scrub at what he does instead of giving him credit for making it where he made it and who he is playing against.

More-Than-Most
04-12-2012, 01:45 AM
I understand arguments from both sides... How come its alright for Skip to personally attack players but its not ok for a Player to personally attack skip like rose did? I understand both sides of the argument and by no means is Rose as ******** as some of you are making him sound.

topdog
04-12-2012, 01:47 AM
I can understand where rose is coming from...He is saying there is no scrubs in the Nba and has a point... Your 1 of a select few playing in the greatest basketball league in the world so you have to be doing something right... You can say well players outside of the league from the streets might be better but those same guys that might be better hasn't had to go up against other NBA talent...Its easy to call a guy a scrub at what he does instead of giving him credit for making it where he made it and who he is playing against.

Here's my counterpoint (and I'll leave it at one): Go look at a draft site. What are the big buzz words? "Size" "Length" "Athleticism" How many of those can be taught? How often do you see an analysis that says "he can pick up a jumpshot later?" The buzz isn't about skill and that is exactly Smith's point - the bottom players in the league were genetically blessed but have never put in the work to "pick up a jumpshot later."

GrantHustle
04-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Jalen Rose....Jalen Rose....Arrrrrrrrrrrrr....Jalen Rose......I hate Stephen A. Smith he's a joke

topdog
04-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Also, don't watch. Don't listen. Don't pay heed to things that aren't true if you are a player. This is entertainment. And quite frankly the best "analysis" is usually from guys who didn't play or barely played because they have watched thousands of games, seen countless players and done hundreds of interviews to figure out what they were missing.

Plus, they can actually produce cognascent thoughts.

quietstorm80
04-12-2012, 01:54 AM
I know I'm in the minority but I think that Steven A. is the best in the business. For the NBA, he brings an insight that no one else can match because of the relationships he has with the players.

Sssmush
04-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Stephen A sends a bad message to people, making them think that all this yelling and angry looks and tones are acceptable in business or professional circles, or pretending that he is actually making any kind of point or sense and isn't just throwing dust to muddy the waters on the orders of his bosses.

Looks to me like Bayless is caught in an outright lie, or rather a series of outright lies.

The fact that Jalen is piling on him and breaking etiquette by rudely calling him out on that doesn't change the fact that Bayless is, apparently, a liar and a fraud. Stephen A. can yell all he wants and it just doesn't change the fact. The glove fits, therefore you ****in' can't acquit.

Also, I never really liked Bayless... he's got that Andy Griffith Southern racist dog-whistle vibe going on. I don't really care to listen to his opinions about NBA basketball to be quite honest with you.

SluggeR
04-12-2012, 02:06 AM
That was sooooo wack. Because Rose outed skip the day before, they had to come back and let skip tell his version of why he didn't become a world renown athlete..ESPN has sucken to a new low. If stephen a was in that studio, jalen would have str8 smacked him for all that "tough" talk he was yapping. skip is and has always been a joke with no credibility. Jalen embarrassed ESPN's "disney" shock-jock and then they feel they had to turn around and have a damn summit about it?! Jalen: "You should have been in the studio MANE". LOL, Jalen was getting tired of "pocket-hercules" talking all that jazz.

naps
04-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Jalen Rose = 1000000% right.

Steven A Smith and Skip are paid to do these dramas. As bad as Kwame Brown is you absolutely have NO ****ING right to distort his name, you ****en ****** Smith. Get a ****ing life, go back to where you came from, get some education, and then may be you will learn how to respect people and learn how to make constructive criticism without personal attacks and without hurting their feelings.

Arch Stanton
04-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Stephen A sends a bad message to people, making them think that all this yelling and angry looks and tones are acceptable in business or professional circles, or pretending that he is actually making any kind of point or sense and isn't just throwing dust to muddy the waters on the orders of his bosses.

Looks to me like Bayless is caught in an outright lie, or rather a series of outright lies.

The fact that Jalen is piling on him and breaking etiquette by rudely calling him out on that doesn't change the fact that Bayless is, apparently, a liar and a fraud. Stephen A. can yell all he wants and it just doesn't change the fact. The glove fits, therefore you ****in' can't acquit.

Also, I never really liked Bayless... he's got that Andy Griffith Southern racist dog-whistle vibe going on. I don't really care to listen to his opinions about NBA basketball to be quite honest with you.

How is Bayless a liar or a fraud? Didn't he admit his faults? And how was Jalen breaking etiquette? Face it Jalen got got caught with his pants down inside the cookie jar.

Lake_Show2416
04-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Jalen Rose called Skip out for this reason

"Bayless claimed that he started as a shot-happy point guard for a high school team that made the state finals in Oklahoma. Bayless didn't start for his high school squad, it turns out, and didn't even play for the varsity until his senior season, when he averaged 1.4 points per game."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/jalen-rose-calls-skip-bayless-air-trumped-high-214530179.html;_ylt=At78Qtz6aHUkTS4ucrP85s.8vLYF

Stephen A. is a dumb ****

Arch Stanton
04-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Jalen Rose called Skip out for this reason

"Bayless claimed that he started as a shot-happy point guard for a high school team that made the state finals in Oklahoma. Bayless didn't start for his high school squad, it turns out, and didn't even play for the varsity until his senior season, when he averaged 1.4 points per game."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/jalen-rose-calls-skip-bayless-air-trumped-high-214530179.html;_ylt=At78Qtz6aHUkTS4ucrP85s.8vLYF

Stephen A. is a dumb ****

Yes Bayless says this in the video.

smith&wesson
04-12-2012, 02:17 AM
all jalen is saying is that there is a line that shouldnt be crossed. and s. smith actually agrees with him at one point...

for example you can say x player isnt a good rebounder, or he lacks vision, or that he throws up too many shots. but calling a player soft, giving them silly nick names could be crossing the line because at that point you are bashing their character as a person.

i dont see much of an argument its a simple point jalen is making. and again at one point s.smith actually agreed with him.

on another note why does s. smith scream all the time he is going to have a heart attack one day. jeeez relax buddy lol

smith&wesson
04-12-2012, 02:19 AM
How is Bayless a liar or a fraud? Didn't he admit his faults? And how was Jalen breaking etiquette? Face it Jalen got got caught with his pants down inside the cookie jar.

how so ?

seriously ... i dont even see skip argueing the point. i only heard him making excuses like "the coach didnt like me, he brought his son to play over me" etc. wheres that coach to defend himself ? maybe his son deserved the spot ??

lakers4sho
04-12-2012, 02:30 AM
"consistency as it pertains to ineptitude"

:laugh:

AIRMAR72
04-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Stephen A Smith off camera is a straight up punk and he knows it that is why he always yelling and screaming like gurl he probably the type that sit down pee and that coward shet kayless they lucky it wasnt Greg Athony(no longer works at espn) cause wouldve verbally abuse both of those CLOWNS in that debate jalen is not the argumentative type

VRP723
04-12-2012, 02:33 AM
It's a disgrace that you guys give people like Skip and SAS this much attention.

CityofTreez
04-12-2012, 02:39 AM
I saw this earlier today, and could not believe what I was watching. I did not know about Jalen calling out Skip's "high school years" against his analysis of players in the NBA. It was just dumb.

The best part though, Skip calling Jalen a "a pg" in his career. :laugh2:

naps
04-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Anyone who are saying Jalen Rose was wrong and Skip/SAS were right just shows what environment they were brought up in. All Jalen is saying that any professional athletes, in this case 450 NBA players, is/are a scrub; They made the highest level on the game for a reason; As bad as Kowame is he's getting paid millions and millions for a reason; People who are paying them millions are not stupid, they know what's up. And Jalen said you can't make fun of someone's name just because they are not playing at your expected level. A name belongs to the family of the respective player and his family will be hurt when they hear someone making fun of his name. SAS or Skip or Obama or Hawking or Christ NO ONE has any kind of right to disrespect someone's name.

Jalen Rose hats off to you, sir!

naps
04-12-2012, 02:48 AM
As for Skip's high school stuff, Skip knows he's exposed. He was just making lame excuses just as we all used to make when we were 5/6 year old. Coach didn't like me, coach played his son, I didn't get a chance, blah blah. You could see it while he was talking. I actually felt bad for him when he was defending himself like a kid. I mean what he does is clowning and he gets paid for it so I assume he doesn't mind getting called out but this was really a huge blow on his credibility. I am sure he upset upon getting exposed.

And it's funny how SAS thinks screaming and aggressive gestures make all his pathetic arguments right. He's a moron.

I absolutely loved how Jalen Rose handled the situation. He looked calm, cool headed, and professional unlike the other two.

JLynn943
04-12-2012, 03:05 AM
I'm more with Jalen on this. The thing he has to realize is that the name-calling, insults, etc. are a part of being a public figure, which is what all NBA players are. It's a package deal.

Where Jalen is absolutely right, though, is that those things have no business coming out of the mouth of an "analyst." It's not analysis. It's attention-seeking, ratings-hungry, meaningless garbage that people like Skip Bayless use just to make themselves controversial and relevant. An actual analyst is going to focus on how players are playing, why a team is losing or winning, what's going right, what's going wrong, etc., not waste everybody's time calling people names, making asinine statements, and all the other crap Skip routinely does for ratings.

This whole display was just pathetic, and because Stephen A yells and Skip is popular, I'm sure Jalen is going to be looked at as wrong and unfit for his profession. That's sad. Someone like him, who is hundreds of times more objective and impersonal than Skip's breed of journalists, is who I'd much rather listen to. He actually does his job right.

jbeezy
04-12-2012, 03:07 AM
Steven A Smith just went up a few notches in respect for me. That dude just shitted all over Jalen Rose. Lol so awsesome

USMCLaker
04-12-2012, 03:12 AM
It was a good watch (for sports writer drama). Jalen has come at Skip a few times more than just over the past few days he's been doing this stuff for a while and obviously doesn't like Skip.

Stephen A just goes H.A.M on Jalen for his comments (I liked it... Love you Stephen A)

http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/04/skip-bayless-jalen-rose-and-stephen-a-smith-got-into-a-heated-debate-on-espns-first-take-this-morning

I think Jalen got smoked badly in the end it looked like he didn't know what he was talking about and sounded more like he's still a player in the end and not currently an analyst.

Discuss the drama :laugh2:

I am a huge SAS fan I am always defending him in here but to say he owned Jalen is just ridiculous.

SAS is entertaining because he is charismatic but that doesn't make him right.
Case in point Rush Limbaugh is charismatic but he is imo the biggest DBAG in the country.

I saw two different people with two different opinions speaking about their personal opinions just like we are doing right now: Does that mean that I owned you? No.

Jalen was just as articulate as SAS was or Skip and oftentimes they ignored SAS which was just as comical in itself to see. Overall, I thought it was funny how Skip can dish it out but he can't take it back.

shep33
04-12-2012, 03:17 AM
He didn't own Jalen in my opinion. Jalen was the most calm and relaxed out of the three, despite getting ganged up on by both guy. SAS's aggression towards Jalen made it seem as if he won, but Jalen's argument was pretty good.

LADTXR
04-12-2012, 04:05 AM
SAS looked like an idiot thinking the louder he yells the more sense he makes which is the complete opposite. I'm not taking either side because the media gets paid to do exactly what SAS and skip are doing. They're just like the paparazzi, the low life scum bags who wish they were who they are following and obviously SAS is going to back up skip because they both have the same job. The funniest part of the argument was listening to skips reasoning as to why he only averaged 1 ppg in high school, I wonder how long it took him to come up with that lame *** excuse. Everyone on here backing him up must have the same excuse as to why they aren't in the nba/MLB/nfl. My coach hated me haha.

rhino17
04-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Stephen A and Skip should be executed, they are both a joke and an embarrassment to the profession

edit: after watching the video, Jalen Rose was legit in this clip. Skip sounded like a whiny 5 year old. A gown *** man *****ing about his high school sporting failures? Simply PATHETIC. And SAS is just a loud mouth moron

LongWayFromHome
04-12-2012, 04:11 AM
Just wasted 23 minutes listening to three fools blab about nothing.

So glad I don't watch first take anymore.

macc
04-12-2012, 04:43 AM
Lol @ anyone who thinks Jalen is right. This is "professional" basketball. Athletes today are known as premadonnas who are overly sensitive. Jalen's biggest beef was the fact that Skip and some of the other talking heads would "make fun" of NBA players vs just anaylzing their game.

First off, this is the ENTERTAINMENT industry. You watch this to be entertained. If you had a bunch of squares up there talking X's and O's all day then sports tv would fail. So they have to be personable individuals and have strong opinions. Skip is on the show to play devils advocate. So I laugh when people talk about how much they can't stand the guy when he's playing a role for tv.

So this is why I don't understand why people take Rose's side. He's whinning because reporters (like Skip) make fun of players, big f'n deal. We're men, we make fun of each other, that's what we do. If you give the media aka entertainment tv a reason to make fun of you, guess what they're going to do? Hmmmmm, let's think about this.

NBA players are just a bunch of cry baby's these days. Put this into perspective. You look at president Obama. The guy gets bashed every single day by millions of people attacking every aspect about him. You don't see him or people like him sit there and cry and complain about it. They have thick skin, they know when they are in the public eye they become a target by the entertainment media. That's just the way it is. That's the one thing I like that Stephen A said, "get over it, we're not going anywhere."

Sssmush
04-12-2012, 04:47 AM
That was sooooo wack. Because Rose outed skip the day before, they had to come back and let skip tell his version of why he didn't become a world renown athlete..ESPN has sucken to a new low. If stephen a was in that studio, jalen would have str8 smacked him for all that "tough" talk he was yapping. skip is and has always been a joke with no credibility. Jalen embarrassed ESPN's "disney" shock-jock and then they feel they had to turn around and have a damn summit about it?! Jalen: "You should have been in the studio MANE". LOL, Jalen was getting tired of "pocket-hercules" talking all that jazz.

Bam. ^ There it is. That's the money shot right there. Nailed it.

D1JM
04-12-2012, 04:52 AM
jalen rose brings up scalabrine? **** you rose. you dont question him.

D1JM
04-12-2012, 04:56 AM
ridiculous to bring up scal. thats a ***** *** move. scal>rose.>greatness

USMCLaker
04-12-2012, 04:57 AM
Lol @ anyone who thinks Jalen is right. This is "professional" basketball. Athletes today are known as premadonnas who are overly sensitive. Jalen's biggest beef was the fact that Skip and some of the other talking heads would "make fun" of NBA players vs just anaylzing their game.

First off, this is the ENTERTAINMENT industry. You watch this to be entertained. If you had a bunch of squares up there talking X's and O's all day then sports tv would fail. So they have to be personable individuals and have strong opinions. Skip is on the show to play devils advocate. So I laugh when people talk about how much they can't stand the guy when he's playing a role for tv.

So this is why I don't understand why people take Rose's side. He's whinning because reporters (like Skip) make fun of players, big f'n deal. We're men, we make fun of each other, that's what we do. If you give the media aka entertainment tv a reason to make fun of you, guess what they're going to do? Hmmmmm, let's think about this.

NBA players are just a bunch of cry baby's these days. Put this into perspective. You look at president Obama. The guy gets bashed every single day by millions of people attacking every aspect about him. You don't see him or people like him sit there and cry and complain about it. They have thick skin, they know when they are in the public eye they become a target by the entertainment media. That's just the way it is. That's the one thing I like that Stephen A said, "get over it, we're not going anywhere."

I don't know what you were watching. It was the opposite of what you said the whole conversation started because Skip got upset for being criticized by Jalen and Jalen ended up having to defend his comments. Why? Because, Skip can dish it out but can't take it. Jalen never said oh don't pick on me he said "Is the Media fair game?"

The whinners were the ones saying stop whinning.

Sssmush
04-12-2012, 05:08 AM
LoL at Jalen's "Maury Povitch" remark.

Sssmush
04-12-2012, 05:15 AM
One more comment about this: Skip Bayless really REALLY sounds like one of the pathological liar guys to me.

When he is telling his "story" and trying to save face... I mean, this is pretty incredible. And then the host of the show jumps in, it's like they're having a roundtable discussion of how to salvage Skip Bayless's reputation. It's sooooooo funny that Skip's initial approach is to say that the unfairness of his being denied a starting position in HS is the fuel that "drives" his ESPN work. Just laughable.

Bayless really has the look of someone who is a total BS'r, here shown in the uncomfortable position of trying to talk his way out of a paper bag.

LoL that somebody like SB could be a sports journalist for 20 years and totally flush himself overnight thanks to a bunch of ego-boosting lies and the Twitter-effect.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-12-2012, 05:34 AM
Stephen A mad cuz Jalen thinks Kwame isnt a scrub:laugh:

MOST
04-12-2012, 06:09 AM
Jalen scared to call somebody a scrub pretty much. Puss

69centers
04-12-2012, 06:32 AM
Maybe this is a Jerry Springer like ploy to get ratings up. Smith, Rose, and Skip probably all hang out afterward.

Rain 816
04-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Lmfao....this was funny to me and i watch first take to be entertained. Fav part was when SAS asked Jalen if he said that wit a str8 face...lol

Bullsfan22
04-12-2012, 07:59 AM
If I made millions of dollars playing basketball, you could call me whatever the heck you want. It comes along with the territory, just deal with it.

Athletes are worshiped like Gods in America. It's free game for my boss to expect me to accomplish difficult tasks in small amounts of time and come to work everyday on time, like a robot. But when a Coach wants to push his star player to play harder and be a leader he has to field questions about his job security? Fine, the athlete sales the tickets but they can't escape public opinion.

Vincent33
04-12-2012, 08:36 AM
I agree with Jalen. Just because Smith and Bayless had a cup of coffee playing basketball and then spent the next 30yrs or so following the game and learning/listening from coaches, players, trainers, etc. doesn't necessarily mean that it's okay to personally attack a player because they think he is a scrub. Even for former NBA players who are now analysts, it doesn't mean they can personally attack a current player, that's why Jalen gave Bayless a taste of his own medicine and he didn't like it at all. He was embarrassed.

And too Jalen's comment that there are no scrubs in the NBA, I can see his point when he said there are only 450 spots in the NBA which means if a team signs you to fill one of them be it as a starter or at the end of a bench, you are in the top 95-99 percentile for your sport in the world. Comparing someone like Kwame Brown and Dwight Howard is a no win situation for Kwame but he is still being paid by an NBA team to fill a roster spot. He can't play as well as 449 of the others in the league maybe, but he is still a part of that small percentage of people that are deemed talented enough to be a part of an NBA team.

Deemerc
04-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Is it safe to say calling kwame a scrub, that they mean it by NBA standards. I get what jalen is saying that he can't be that bad cus he been in the league for a few years, but compared to other NBA players he's a scrub. And if u don't like that go kick rocks

Deemerc
04-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Kick rocks pro sports daily forum, kick rocks

Patman
04-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Since Sports reporting is not about facts and analysis anymore and only about stupid stories and Twitter reactions, Skip and Stephen are perfect. I just would never ever call one of them a journalist or an analyst their pretty bad entertainers.

SluggeR
04-12-2012, 10:00 AM
One more comment about this: Skip Bayless really REALLY sounds like one of the pathological liar guys to me.

When he is telling his "story" and trying to save face... I mean, this is pretty incredible. And then the host of the show jumps in, it's like they're having a roundtable discussion of how to salvage Skip Bayless's reputation. It's sooooooo funny that Skip's initial approach is to say that the unfairness of his being denied a starting position in HS is the fuel that "drives" his ESPN work. Just laughable.

Bayless really has the look of someone who is a total BS'r, here shown in the uncomfortable position of trying to talk his way out of a paper bag.

LoL that somebody like SB could be a sports journalist for 20 years and totally flush himself overnight thanks to a bunch of ego-boosting lies and the Twitter-effect.

^^^My brother from another mother.

Mr.Wiskers
04-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Such a waste of time to watch Steven A. And Skip Base-less. 2 guys who Just like to hear themselves talk, never played any sport but yet claim to know more than anyone else. Jalen Rose is right when he says there are only 450 players in the NBA and you can't be a scrub, because you can't be a scrub--you made an NBA team-- how many people go through their careers playing in Italy,Russia,Turkey, etc... Hoping,waiting for their shot at the NBA and never make it.

Mr.Wiskers
04-12-2012, 10:14 AM
It appears from the video that the argument started over Russell Westbrook, and Skip Base-Less calling him a scrub. WTF this is Russell Westbrook, he's definitely one of the the Top 20 best players in this league.

JasonJohnHorn
04-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I see Jalen Rose's position. He's not down with name calling and belittling. He doens't like guy like Skip calling people names, like Bosh Spice. Bosh Spice is meant to make Bosh sound effeminite, as if that's a bad thing, so it is not only offensive because its childish name calling, but it is mysoginistic as well.

There is a difference between calling Bosh a bad defender or saying he doesn't work the glass as hard as some other players, and calling him "Bosh Spice". There is a difference there. Jalen wants guys like Skip to stay on topic and not get personal. He is right, Kwambe Brown is an AMAZING basketball player. So is Brian Scalibrine. There is a reason why these players have a job. They are not at the level of Hakeem or Duncan, but they are good enough to land a job in the NBA, so they have got game.

Guys like Skip can make arguements that one player is better than another, can comment on wheather they know how to pass the ball or not, can comment when a guy doesn't get back on defence. I don't mind if they call a guy out for not working hard enough on the glass, or on defence, but calling a guy lazy say, when these guys have to pour a ton of work into being in game shape and compete at the NBA level. Yes, sometime guys are lazy (Eddy Curry). Call them lazy, because they can't even get into game shape. But calling Melo selfish because he's a scorer and not a passer isnt fair. Call them inmature when they are being inmature. Ok. But name calling is childish.

What Rose was doing was explaining that the positions in basketball were created for laymen to understand the game, and he is right. John Paxon was a "point guard", but no, he wasn't Jordan and Pippen handled the ball. There is not rule saying that a SF can distribute. There is no rule saying a PG can't shoot. There traditional roles for each position, but they don't have to be followed. Chris Webber could distribute the ball from the PF position. David Robinson and Tim Duncan could distribute from the Center position. LBJ and Pipper and Pierce can distribute from the SF. Skip was trying to fit players into a cookie cutter mould and attacking players personally because they didnt follow the traditional role of whatever position they are supposed to be playing. In this case Skip was knocking Westbrook, and he started calling Jalen out about what position he played, so Rose called Skip out on what position he played.

C'est la vie. Guys like Skip over the line sometimes. Its hard when you are talking live to use your judgement before saying something, but its the nature of the beast. I agree with was Jalen Rose was trying to get across though. He was just encouraging guys like Skip to be respectful of players and comment on the issues at hand without getting too personal. That sounds fait to me. Name calling is for the playground.

thekmp211
04-12-2012, 10:20 AM
the words "slander" and "personal" and "distort his name" are just laughable.

laughable.

these are grown millionaires. and you're telling me to feel bad about their sensitive egos because skip BAYLESS said something? if anything, this proves why kwame was just a scrub in the league. no mental toughness.

jalen didn't handle this professionally. he handled it like a child, continuously degrading his points untl he could literally say nothing. he was totally out of line because he was too stupid to realize the difference between doing your job, entertaining tv viewers, calling someone a name and calling someone a fraud and a liar.

rose was clueless, and unprofessional, and proved again that he is pretty thick when it comes to making some basic inferences. supporting his point of view is...honestly ignorant. not sure what else to call it.

thekmp211
04-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Such a waste of time to watch Steven A. And Skip Base-less. 2 guys who Just like to hear themselves talk, never played any sport but yet claim to know more than anyone else. Jalen Rose is right when he says there are only 450 players in the NBA and you can't be a scrub, because you can't be a scrub--you made an NBA team-- how many people go through their careers playing in Italy,Russia,Turkey, etc... Hoping,waiting for their shot at the NBA and never make it.

see, no. this is ********, its untrue, and unfair. this doesn't justify or disqualify anyone's opinions, ever.

it's the kind of crap that rose and other idiot former players like to throw out at skip and other journalists who consistently prove them wrong, despite never having played their sports. it's a cop out and it's so far from true.

The Final Boss
04-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Where does Jalen get destroyed? Smith only steps in because BSPN asked him to defend Bayless who was embarrassed to save face for their "journalists". Smith agreed because hes insecure and was next to get exposed by Jalen or someone else and figured he'd better step up before it happens to him.

Redskins10
04-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Screamin A. Smith and Skip Baseless were clearly wrong. It's one thing to insult a player for his skill set, it's another to say personal things about a player. When Jalen discussed Skip's high school career, Skip was very hurt, but Rose didn't cross the line at all. There's such a double standard when it comes to athletes and "analysts".

teddygreen17
04-12-2012, 11:07 AM
I understand both points. Jalen - dont cross the line. Stephen - if a guys sucks, then he sucks....both are technically right...problem is yes they are in a global sport that is televised and analized. This will continue until the good Lord comes back. It's their job to be critical, yup maybe sometimes folks cross the line and pronounce their name wrong and stuff, no one does it to demean their families or nothing, but you know what you're getting into when you sign that contract...Professional means something different...no one is out there, killing YMCA players saying they can't ball...but when you are supposed to be in the NBA and you are the top .2% of the best basketball players in the world and you can't hit an open jumper or you shoot <50% from the foul line, IM SORRY, your gunna get blasted...is it right, ethically, perhaps not..but since when was ethics really a part of this.

Fnom11
04-12-2012, 11:58 AM
People seriously need to stop posting about these dudes. Nothing they say has any logic.

Matrix3132
04-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Screamin A. Smith and Skip Baseless were clearly wrong. It's one thing to insult a player for his skill set, it's another to say personal things about a player. When Jalen discussed Skip's high school career, Skip was very hurt, but Rose didn't cross the line at all. There's such a double standard when it comes to athletes and "analysts".

Not a fan of any of them but I don't see the double standard. Jalen bringing up a now-journalist's high school basketball stats is completely different. It would be more of a double standard if Skip brought up Jalen's grades on papers he wrote in high school journalism or english class.

As for jalen, with all of his experience, bringing his expertise to the table, I think half of psd brings up better points than jalen ever has...

ghettosean
04-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Not a fan of any of them but I don't see the double standard. Jalen bringing up a now-journalist's high school basketball stats is completely different. It would be more of a double standard if Skip brought up Jalen's grades on papers he wrote in high school journalism or english class.

As for jalen, with all of his experience, bringing his expertise to the table, I think half of psd brings up better points than jalen ever has...
Nice post and I completely agree!!!

I just want to note that my original post was somewhat biased because I do like Skip and Stephen A Smith (more Stephen than Skip but both aren't afraid to speak there minds) liking them both is pretty recent to me and I guess the reason I like them is thanks to the lockout it forced me to watch them to get a little touch of basketball early on in the year. Jalen is good as an analyst but he needs to stick to that and stop with personal attacks on his collegues (to me that's like Kobe talking trash about Bynum it's uncalled for... Your supposed to work together not against each other). Like the quote said above if Skip or Stephen wanted to sink to Jalens level then they should bring up his grades in high school or elementary school regarding journalism.

Dude needs to move on... Bottom line.

fadedmario
04-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Jalen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stephen *** Smith

smith&wesson
04-12-2012, 02:09 PM
It's a disgrace that you guys give people like Skip and SAS this much attention.

its the topic not the ppl that is getting attention. and bro your post just contributed to it.

Anyone who are saying Jalen Rose was wrong and Skip/SAS were right just shows what environment they were brought up in. All Jalen is saying that any professional athletes, in this case 450 NBA players, is/are a scrub; They made the highest level on the game for a reason; As bad as Kowame is he's getting paid millions and millions for a reason; People who are paying them millions are not stupid, they know what's up. And Jalen said you can't make fun of someone's name just because they are not playing at your expected level. A name belongs to the family of the respective player and his family will be hurt when they hear someone making fun of his name. SAS or Skip or Obama or Hawking or Christ NO ONE has any kind of right to disrespect someone's name.

Jalen Rose hats off to you, sir!

+1

I'm more with Jalen on this. The thing he has to realize is that the name-calling, insults, etc. are a part of being a public figure, which is what all NBA players are. It's a package deal.

Where Jalen is absolutely right, though, is that those things have no business coming out of the mouth of an "analyst." It's not analysis. It's attention-seeking, ratings-hungry, meaningless garbage that people like Skip Bayless use just to make themselves controversial and relevant. An actual analyst is going to focus on how players are playing, why a team is losing or winning, what's going right, what's going wrong, etc., not waste everybody's time calling people names, making asinine statements, and all the other crap Skip routinely does for ratings.

This whole display was just pathetic, and because Stephen A yells and Skip is popular, I'm sure Jalen is going to be looked at as wrong and unfit for his profession. That's sad. Someone like him, who is hundreds of times more objective and impersonal than Skip's breed of journalists, is who I'd much rather listen to. He actually does his job right.

exactly..all jalen was saying was that there is a line that shouldnt be crossed. s. smith raising his voice doesnt make his points any clearer just louder.

Steven A Smith just went up a few notches in respect for me. That dude just shitted all over Jalen Rose. Lol so awsesome

why because he was yelling? really ? because it made him look childish. i even credit skip for keeping his cool. jalen had a very simple point and all steven a smith was saying is let me talk yet, he wasnt allowing any one else to speak which makes him look very small. thats not how you debate.

and if you pay attention you will notice that s.smith actually agrees with jalen at one point. he is actually yelling at both of them as well and trying to get himself involved some how simply because the story is getting attention.

I am a huge SAS fan I am always defending him in here but to say he owned Jalen is just ridiculous.

SAS is entertaining because he is charismatic but that doesn't make him right.
Case in point Rush Limbaugh is charismatic but he is imo the biggest DBAG in the country.

I saw two different people with two different opinions speaking about their personal opinions just like we are doing right now: Does that mean that I owned you? No.

Jalen was just as articulate as SAS was or Skip and oftentimes they ignored SAS which was just as comical in itself to see. Overall, I thought it was funny how Skip can dish it out but he can't take it back.

+1 cant agree with this more.

He didn't own Jalen in my opinion. Jalen was the most calm and relaxed out of the three, despite getting ganged up on by both guy. SAS's aggression towards Jalen made it seem as if he won, but Jalen's argument was pretty good.

exactly

jalen didnt have to scream to get his point across. and his point was very simple. anilyze the players game, dont call names and make it personal for no reason.. its that simple

Stephen A and Skip should be executed, they are both a joke and an embarrassment to the profession

edit: after watching the video, Jalen Rose was legit in this clip. Skip sounded like a whiny 5 year old. A gown *** man *****ing about his high school sporting failures? Simply PATHETIC. And SAS is just a loud mouth moron

skip was making excuses, and unless you have his high school coach there to tell his side of the story you have to take his escuses with a grain of salt.

sure these are athletes.. but its one thing to say for example, pau needs to get tougher in the paint, or pau needs to bulk up a bit. but soon as you call him soft your questioning his character as a man. is that really fair ? think about it.

jalen rose brings up scalabrine? **** you rose. you dont question him.

he was actually bigging him up. saying theres a reason why he has been around for so long. he may look like a scrub to the average fan but obviously he offers something that teams want hence why he is still in the nba.

I don't know what you were watching. It was the opposite of what you said the whole conversation started because Skip got upset for being criticized by Jalen and Jalen ended up having to defend his comments. Why? Because, Skip can dish it out but can't take it. Jalen never said oh don't pick on me he said "Is the Media fair game?"

The whinners were the ones saying stop whinning.

exactly, skip can call chris "spice bosh". but the min someone questions his game he throws a hissy fit .. go figure.

now imagine someone called him queen skip. jalen isnt even going that far and they are getting defensive about it which shows they are completly missing the point.

Losoway
04-12-2012, 02:12 PM
jalen rose did not get owned ...jalen rose actually won this argument

stephan a smith yells way too much

Losoway
04-12-2012, 02:14 PM
i dont understand how skip bayless insults players all the time

but the minute jalen rose brings up his high school stats ...HE TURNS INTO A CRY BABY

like wtf

smith&wesson
04-12-2012, 02:17 PM
question a guys game, crtisize his lack of game.anylize his play. but dont give him disrepectfull nick names when his family is watching. thats just mean. thats all jalen is saying. i dont know how any one can not see that.

on the flip side if you qestion, insult, call out what skip and s. smith are doing look at how defensive they get about it. its the same thing. you dont want to be made fun of but you want to make fun of every one else. but really you guys are anylisits not kids in a school yard. or "mean girls"

faridk89
04-12-2012, 02:44 PM
he didn't get destroyed man, actually I agree with what Jalen was trying to say

Kevj77
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Jalen actually said that there are no scrubs in the NBA at one point in this video :pity:

That's some sad sorry **** right there! You can tell he was grasping for straws at points in this debate... lolThat is were Jalen got owned. Just because there are only 450 NBA jobs doesn't mean there aren't scrubs by NBA standards. Kwame definitely is a scrub, but he is a 7 ft 265 lb scrub that's why he is still in the NBA.

smith&wesson
04-12-2012, 02:50 PM
i dont understand how skip bayless insults players all the time

but the minute jalen rose brings up his high school stats ...HE TURNS INTO A CRY BABY

like wtf

precisley

macc
04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
question a guys game, crtisize his lack of game.anylize his play. but dont give him disrepectfull nick names when his family is watching. thats just mean. thats all jalen is saying. i dont know how any one can not see that.

on the flip side if you qestion, insult, call out what skip and s. smith are doing look at how defensive they get about it. its the same thing. you dont want to be made fun of but you want to make fun of every one else. but really you guys are anylisits not kids in a school yard. or "mean girls"

LOL...... is this really what the nba has come to? WHO CARES if they get called nicknames that poke fun at them. Once again this is "Entertainment" basketball. These are grown *** men playing a mans game. The talking heads make fun of players.....PLAYERS make fun of players. I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. If these guys are that sensitive to "nicknames" given to them, then get out of the media eye....it's pretty simple actually. Noone is going to say anything about you if you're not on tv, so if it bothers someone that much then go play basketball in another country where they look at you as a God.

Wow and I actually defend the NBA when my football friends call it a sissy's league. They are right, esp when you have fans talking just like them.

If you think the NBA is bad, come to my work shop, listen to our guys make fun of each other on a daily basis. Alot worse things are said. Yet we man up and show up the next day. It's called "get over it." It's nothing personal. It's only personal when you bring family invovled.

The goods
04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Jalen was a scrub that's why he defended them I mean at his prime jalen rose was decent......maybe but stephen A put him on blast I watching and was like damn he had jalen looking stupid on t.v. they guy talk trash that's their job if they were boring nobody would talk to them or even know who they are I like them both watching them go at it,is to funny and great televison.
Jalen should so more respect when he comes on somebodys show I mean he's barely on espn as it is and it'll be even less now that stephen A killed the little credibility he had. Lol

ramz.n
04-12-2012, 02:58 PM
jalens got a point...theres one thing to be an nba scrub..and another to be a basketball scrub..as long as your in the nba..you may be a scrub at that level..but realistically hes better than the scrubs that couldn't make it to the nba or are no longer playing basketball.

Stunner
04-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't really care , players cry too much.

Baller1
04-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Jalen was a scrub that's why he defended them I mean at his prime jalen rose was decent......maybe but stephen A put him on blast I watching and was like damn he had jalen looking stupid on t.v. they guy talk trash that's their job if they were boring nobody would talk to them or even know who they are I like them both watching them go at it,is to funny and great televison.
Jalen should so more respect when he comes on somebodys show I mean he's barely on espn as it is and it'll be even less now that stephen A killed the little credibility he had. Lol

Jalen Rose a scrub? Ok.

The goods
04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Everybody basketball has been made fun of even the greats magic johnson wasn't clutch he could only pass,jordan couldn't win championships and he was a ball hog,kobe was a rapist and a ball hog,shaq,pippen,rodman the list goes on and on all of the great have been critizied laughed at had bad nick names and you know what they did? They took as a challenge and shut up all the critics up they didn't wine and complain they took it like a man and overcame the challenge in front of them.

thephoenixson28
04-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Stephan A smith and jalen rose were talking about 2 different things. Jalen is just saying that there is a difference between being a analyst and talking ****. Which I side with rose. But it is a entertainment business. Soooo it goes both ways. Stephen A smith is just someone that can talk, and does it loud.

The goods
04-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Jalen Rose a scrub? Ok.

You know what you could be right when I got old enough to actually understand basketball he was a scrub probably past his prime so maybe before that he was better.

The goods
04-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Stephan A smith and jalen rose were talking about 2 different things. Jalen is just saying that there is a difference between being a analyst and talking ****. Which I side with rose. But it is a entertainment business. Soooo it goes both ways. Stephen A smith is just someone that can talk, and does it loud.

He's right in a way but in order to be entertaining and get ratings for your show you have to do a bit of both,but in all fairness if you dish it out you have to be able to take it to which is what skip failed to do.
If you say something bad about stephen A he won't get upset he'll come back at you full force,and louder then usual. Lol hahaha

I Rock Shaqs
04-12-2012, 03:29 PM
lol I thought Jalen Won by farrrrr, STephen A Smith Just Yells Like Crazy, dumb *** people usually need to raise their voice when they don't have a valid point to get across, you get A LOT of these people on 2K lol

Diewitdaknicks
04-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Skip is SAS's personal whipping boy and don't you forget it! No one whips on Skip other that SAS!!!

Shareeb_omac2
04-12-2012, 03:54 PM
It's funny how bad some people's perception is on this forum. Jalen lost every arguement and ever angle of this discussion.

ghettosean
04-12-2012, 04:01 PM
its the topic not the ppl that is getting attention. and bro your post just contributed to it.

+1

exactly..all jalen was saying was that there is a line that shouldnt be crossed. s. smith raising his voice doesnt make his points any clearer just louder.

why because he was yelling? really ? because it made him look childish. i even credit skip for keeping his cool. jalen had a very simple point and all steven a smith was saying is let me talk yet, he wasnt allowing any one else to speak which makes him look very small. thats not how you debate.

and if you pay attention you will notice that s.smith actually agrees with jalen at one point. he is actually yelling at both of them as well and trying to get himself involved some how simply because the story is getting attention.

+1 cant agree with this more.

exactly

jalen didnt have to scream to get his point across. and his point was very simple. anilyze the players game, dont call names and make it personal for no reason.. its that simple

skip was making excuses, and unless you have his high school coach there to tell his side of the story you have to take his escuses with a grain of salt.

sure these are athletes.. but its one thing to say for example, pau needs to get tougher in the paint, or pau needs to bulk up a bit. but soon as you call him soft your questioning his character as a man. is that really fair ? think about it.

he was actually bigging him up. saying theres a reason why he has been around for so long. he may look like a scrub to the average fan but obviously he offers something that teams want hence why he is still in the nba.

exactly, skip can call chris "spice bosh". but the min someone questions his game he throws a hissy fit .. go figure.

now imagine someone called him queen skip. jalen isnt even going that far and they are getting defensive about it which shows they are completly missing the point.
Smith&Wesson the only thing I disagree on is that Skip wasn't crying about anything really he just clairified the situation. He repeated what Jalen said and basically agreed with him when Jalen poked fun and called skip "Pistol Water Pete Jr"... Skip repeats this in the clip and says when I played under this new coach that's what I was.

There was no crying or shying away from the situation... The reason that I'm saying that Stephen A torched Jalen is because he was going off on other topics saying that there's no scrubs in the NBA (Us being Raptor fans know the difference Hoffa anyone ;) ). I'm ok with the nicknames I mean he calls Lebron Prince James because Lebron calls himself KING JAMES. Everyone everywhere has nicknames for players and well if they are playing like **** fans themselves in every city and every state make up awful nicknames for players that stink it up on the court (Barfnani anyone ;) ).

I'm just saying Skip gets crucified too easily for this type of stuff because he's on TV but truth be it that this happens everywhere with a lot of fans and players in this league. I mean how come no one ***** on Shaq because he called Bosh --> Ru Paul or saying the big 2 in Miami (it's just as insulting if not more than anything Skip has ever said).

Everyone does it but the reason Skip alone gets crucified for his stuff is beyond me.

ghettosean
04-12-2012, 04:03 PM

ghettosean
04-12-2012, 04:05 PM
lol I thought Jalen Won by farrrrr, STephen A Smith Just Yells Like Crazy, dumb *** people usually need to raise their voice when they don't have a valid point to get across, you get A LOT of these people on 2K lol
He raised his voice when he wasn't allowed to talk because when he was raising his voice he said "I let you talk... Can I talk now?!?"... Just saying to be fair.

LongWayFromHome
04-12-2012, 04:05 PM
SAS and Rose weren't listening to each other's arguments then responding. SAS was just screaming and not listening. Rose kept interrupting.

They were talking about different things really. Just a bunch of fools.

yankeesfan09
04-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Honestly, Jalen Rose held his own. Both Stephen A and Skip argument collapsed and branch the argument away from Jalen's point. Stephen at the end agreed with Jalen. Skip just made Jalen's point during his rant and was caught. At the end, all parties all had valid points although those points were being made on different arguments.

kdspurman
04-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Jalen has no business debating. He takes things too personal. Maybe it's cause he wasn't an elite player himself? Cause guys like Barkley and Shaq tell it like it is. This guy is trying to say there aren't no scrubs in the league?

When you are talking about the NBA level there are guys who drastically under achieve for whatever reason. Jalen can say what he wants, but Skip/Stephen A get paid to do this, and cause controversy. Sometimes what they say is crazy, and sometimes they say stuff that's true. If that kind of stuff "bothers" the NBA players today, maybe they should stop watching and paying attention to what people are saying about them.

Like Durant getting personally involved with what Skip said? Why is that even necessary? Just shut up, go out there and play ball and tell your teammate to do the same. If you want to shut people up do it with your play

kdspurman
04-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Smith&Wesson the only thing I disagree on is that Skip wasn't crying about anything really he just clairified the situation. He repeated what Jalen said and basically agreed with him when Jalen poked fun and called skip "Pistol Water Pete Jr"... Skip repeats this in the clip and says when I played under this new coach that's what I was.

There was no crying or shying away from the situation... The reason that I'm saying that Stephen A torched Jalen is because he was going off on other topics saying that there's no scrubs in the NBA (Us being Raptor fans know the difference Hoffa anyone ;) ). I'm ok with the nicknames I mean he calls Lebron Prince James because Lebron calls himself KING JAMES. Everyone everywhere has nicknames for players and well if they are playing like **** fans themselves in every city and every state make up awful nicknames for players that stink it up on the court (Barfnani anyone ;) ).

I'm just saying Skip gets crucified too easily for this type of stuff because he's on TV but truth be it that this happens everywhere with a lot of fans and players in this league. I mean how come no one ***** on Shaq because he called Bosh --> Ru Paul or saying the big 2 in Miami (it's just as insulting if not more than anything Skip has ever said).

Everyone does it but the reason Skip alone gets crucified for his stuff is beyond me.

Jalen is trying to say it's cause Skip never played so he should not be able to say it. Shaq is a top 10 player of all time, so in Jalen's mind he's "earned" the right to say what he wants. Of course what Shaq said was true lol But that's why I guess Jalen doesn't say anything to him.

ghettosean
04-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Jalen has no business debating. He takes things too personal. Maybe it's cause he wasn't an elite player himself? Cause guys like Barkley and Shaq tell it like it is. This guy is trying to say there aren't no scrubs in the league?

When you are talking about the NBA level there are guys who drastically under achieve for whatever reason. Jalen can say what he wants, but Skip/Stephen A get paid to do this, and cause controversy. Sometimes what they say is crazy, and sometimes they say stuff that's true. If that kind of stuff "bothers" the NBA players today, maybe they should stop watching and paying attention to what people are saying about them.

Like Durant getting personally involved with what Skip said? Why is that even necessary? Just shut up, go out there and play ball and tell your teammate to do the same. If you want to shut people up do it with your play
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

monkeyboy
04-12-2012, 04:24 PM
So it alright for Skip to criticized anyone but it wrong if anyone attack Skip.... I gotta side with Jalen on this one. Why is okay for media to attack athletes personally, but not okay if it the other way around.

Spiggity_ace
04-12-2012, 04:36 PM
stephen a sucks, all he can do is raise his voice

KingPosey
Skip Bayless is so full of ****. He is trying to manipulate the situation so that he doesnt look like a douche bag. I have been waiting for this day to come, because I KNEW he was full of ****.

ghettosean
So it alright for Skip to criticized anyone but it wrong if anyone attack Skip.... I gotta side with Jalen on this one. Why is okay for media to attack athletes personally, but not okay if it the other way around.
Skip agreed with the attack Jalen did on himself and that was not why he was upset... Skip himself said that he was "Water Pistol Pete Jr". Jalen's insult on skips basketball career had very little to do with this debate. I'm starting to wonder if most were listening to the points at hand...

Like the biggest failure that Jalen had during the clip to me was saying there are no scrubs in the NBA and we all know that is ********.

Does anyone have any points where Stephen A or Skip lost this debate?!?

Raising your voice and asking to speak after waiting doesn't count by the way ;)

Edit:

Also while Shaq was playing he made a personal attack on Chris Bosh by calling him Ru Paul and when he was an analyst he started off by saying the Big 2 in Miami (he did personal attacks both as a player and a analyst).

Why is it ok for Shaq but not Skip?!?

2nd Edit:

This debate was more because Jalen pretty much shut Skip down because he said Westbrook shoots too much and he needs to pass the ball to KD more... He pretty much tried to say Skips opinions are not valid because of his poor basketball career... That was the big insult to him and why Stephen A joined in on this.

KingPosey
04-12-2012, 04:46 PM
I hate that Steven A Smith makes everything about himself, and never lets anyone speak. Its like listening to Rush on the radio.

smith&wesson
04-12-2012, 04:47 PM

well hoffa was a scrub and thats why he is no longer int he league. jalens point was that if a guy has stuck around in an elite pro league 10 years plus there is probably something teams see in that player.

barfnani is a name us fans came up with. his family watching games dont here "barfnani" or his family watching espn shouldnt here that.

spice bosh. while funny to me is pretty harsh for his family watching at home. imagine his family watching espn and a sports "analyst" is calling your son crystal, or spice bosh. thats a bit over the line dont you find. ? it becomes personal at that point.

fans can say what they want.. we are fans. its leisure activity for us, its fun. but an anlyst is there to analyze the game, the stats, the players game. not his character as a person.

final thing... how come skip can make these silly nick names and go on rants but when someone questions his highschool basket ball career he has to defend himself ? hmmm thats a double standard right there. that all im saying my man.

i see your side of it too though. they shouldnt attack just skip. alot of analiysts are guilty of crossing the line. theres a difference betwen critiquing and analyzing players and straight up disrepsecting them on national t.v.

Ray_R
04-12-2012, 04:50 PM
SAS reminds me of the people that are losing an argument and all of a sudden yells over you gibberish and doesn't let you speak.

KingPosey
04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
^
biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingo

iam brett favre
04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't feel bad for Skip Bayless at all. I literally wish depression and a miserable life on him.
He blatantly lied about his past to try and help out his absurd argument. And then he got called out, and is sad about it.

ghettosean
04-12-2012, 04:58 PM
well hoffa was a scrub and thats why he is no longer int he league. jalens point was that if a guy has stuck around in an elite pro league 10 years plus there is probably something teams see in that player.

barfnani is a name us fans came up with. his family watching games dont here "barfnani" or his family watching espn shouldnt here that.

spice bosh. while funny to me is pretty harsh for his family watching at home. imagine his family watching espn and a sports "analyst" is calling your son crystal, or spice bosh. thats a bit over the line dont you find. ? it becomes personal at that point.

fans can say what they want.. we are fans. its leisure activity for us, its fun. but an anlyst is there to analyze the game, the stats, the players game. not his character as a person.

final thing... how come skip can make these silly nick names and go on rants but when someone questions his highschool basket ball career he has to defend himself ? hmmm thats a double standard right there. that all im saying my man.

i see your side of it too though. they shouldnt attack just skip. alot of analiysts are guilty of crossing the line. theres a difference betwen critiquing and analyzing players and straight up disrepsecting them on national t.v.
I agree with most of what you wrote above but:

1. Skipping Hoffa because we both agree on that but Kwame Brown is a scrub we both know it.
2. Skip actually agreed with Jalen and said when he played under this new coach that he was "Water Pistol Pete Jr"

He eleborated on his career which is fair and his main beef (and Stephen A's) is that he was pretty much saying because of the level that skip played at and because of his ball career that his opinions are basically not valid. That's the only beef that I have with this if his is all about nicknames though then Jalen needs to call out Shaq because he's done it more than once (as player and analyst).

smith&wesson
04-12-2012, 05:11 PM
I agree with most of what you wrote above but:

1. Skipping Hoffa because we both agree on that but Kwame Brown is a scrub we both know it.
2. Skip actually agreed with Jalen and said when he played under this new coach that he was "Water Pistol Pete Jr"

He eleborated on his career which is fair and his main beef (and Stephen A's) is that he was pretty much saying because of the level that skip played at and because of his ball career that his opinions are basically not valid. That's the only beef that I have with this if his is all about nicknames though then Jalen needs to call out Shaq because he's done it more than once (as player and analyst).

Ya jalen couldnt justify that and shut up about that one point pretty quickly.

it was funny how stephen a smith said if i was there i would slap both of you, and then quickly said you guys would both probably kick my *** and jalen laughed and said i know i i would. i found that pretty funny :laugh:

miller74
04-12-2012, 05:15 PM
tbh I felt like Jalen won that argument, just because stephen a smith tries to yell to get a point across doesn't mean he's right. Jalen was actually a player not like the other 2 that just played hs and college basketball

I hate this argument, does that mean that Michael Jordans opinion is the be all end all because he was the best basketball player ever? Jalen being a better basketball player than Skip doesnt make his opinion on basketball more valid.

ghettosean
04-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Ya jalen couldnt justify that and shut up about that one point pretty quickly.

it was funny how stephen a smith said if i was there i would slap both of you, and then quickly said you guys would both probably kick my *** and jalen laughed and said i know i i would. i found that pretty funny :laugh:
I found it even more funny that after Skip had his rant about his basketball career and Jalen and Stephen were going off... Skip had NOTHING to say... He had a few raised eyebrows in there but that was about it :laugh2:

ghettosean
04-12-2012, 05:20 PM
I hate this argument, does that mean that Michael Jordans opinion is the be all end all because he was the best basketball player ever? Jalen being a better basketball player than Skip doesnt make his opinion on basketball more valid.
Actually when you look at it that way and people who think this than that must mean that MJ made all the write moves in front office with the Bobcats because he just knows it all when it comes to basketball.

MJ was a great player (the greatest) and that's where it ends. I don't like that arguement either!

smith&wesson
04-12-2012, 05:30 PM
I found it even more funny that after Skip had his rant about his basketball career and Jalen and Stephen were going off... Skip had NOTHING to say... He had a few raised eyebrows in there but that was about it :laugh2:

i think skip and jalen were fine.. .stephen a smith found that this was getting attention and jumped all over it. only he sounded extreamly stupid.. even if he had a point every one pretty much missed it because of the way he was carrying himself.

jrm2054
04-12-2012, 05:34 PM
skip is scum

krazylegz
04-12-2012, 05:42 PM
haha...jalen called steven A sherman helmsley....amazing!!

Sssmush
04-12-2012, 05:47 PM
The only "points" that Stephen A. and Skip score, with the help of the show's host, are because Jalen is sitting there trying to talk and make sense, to make a reasoned argument. This gives Stephen A. and Skip the opportunity to sit there and talk and make faces and make it seem like the situation isn't all that bad for Skip, everyone's having a conversation, the fraudalent history/transcripts/backstory etc are not such a big deal, and now that they've talked it out everything's fairly equal and back to normal, and to try and toss in some insults and tough talk and make it seem like they are saving face and getting in some licks of their own.

Which is really not the case. Notice that after Stephen A. and Skip have managed to change the topic completely and converge on the point about it being ok to hyperbolically trash and insult players, Jalen gets cutoff at the end before he can finish his response. He starts to say, essentially, that yes, ok, it is understandable and just part of the media game to trash and insult players, but, by that same token... and then the announcer steps in and hurriedly cuts him off.

Pretty obviously Jalen was going to say, that by the same logic that Stephen A and Skip B apply to "scrub" players, Jalen can trash the **** out of phony toughguy analysts who are exposed as having lied about their basketball careers and transcripts--essentially having lied on their basketball resume and built a career out of it. The announcer smartly steps in and ends the segment before Jalen brings the show back around to the main topic and lands this unanswerable blow.

Anyway, the other thing I thought was funny was when Stephen A starts to rant about how everybody on Twitter is an angry A-hole who is just jealous of the precious elites on ESPN, and that every one of them just want SA or Skip's job. Stephen A's angry, mistrust and hatred of Twitter and Twitterers really comes out right there, and also this absurd conceit that he thinks he's so awesome because he's on ESPN. So, in other words, all his silly rants are, in his mind, a desperate battle against the barbarians, as he struggles to stay on top of the sports commenting hill and draw a big ESPN salary.

Stephen A really kind of makes his own point... all those guys could easily be replaced 10times over, and who would really care? Who really cares that they make a big salary from ESPN? Espn doesn't really make any money off them. They may be "entertainers" but they aren't even at the level of, say, SNL cast members in terms of their value. Tomorrow on ESPN we could see Steven "B." Jones and honestly 90% of viewers wouldn't even notice the difference. Of course it's understandable that as sports media and commentary becomes less centralized and more democratic, guys like Stephen A at the top of the heap would get uneasy... but it is somewhat shocking that he is actually on air raging against "all those ****ers on Twitter, trying to take our jobs" or whatever.

Sssmush
04-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Does anyone have any points where Stephen A or Skip lost this debate?!?

There are several. Actually, Jalen seems to calmly own this "debate", which is somewhat amazing because he is essentially being triple-teamed by Skip, Stephen A and the host of the show, who also acts as ref.

As the segment is introduced, you can clearly see that Skip is wound up and ready to go, almost hyperventilating as they are introduced, as if he thinks his entire career is riding on this moment. Jalen merely sits back with a slightly bemused look on his face, the look of the person who has exposed the big phony from a secure spot.

Actually, the mere fact that this special "roundtable" has to be called shows that Jalen has already won the debate. And Skip's pathetically detailed explanation of why he wasnt a basketball star, even mentioning the "coach's son", does nothing to explain why he's lied about his basketball resume and misrepresented hiimself all these years... which, by the way, brings in to question every word that's ever come out of his mouth, in terms of journalism.

Jalen also wins in terms of commonsense. Stephen A and Skip B try to bring it around to the idea of it being OK to trash players like Kwame Brown as being completely incompetent idiots who can't ball at all... Jalen is just calmly pointing out that guys like Kwame are very talented and are good ball players, and that phony analysts like Stephen A or Skip B would never say that sort of thing to their faces, or in polite company.

So... if guys like Skip will say those kind of insults about players in the media, but wouldn't dare say them to their faces AND they in fact understand how talented these players are AND on top of that they have lied and misrepresented themselves and probably forged their phony transcripts, then that means that they are essentially huge phoneys, and so, yes, they have lost the debate.

I predict that Stephen A will cut Skip loose if the situation gets any hotter, scrambling to protect is own *** and turning against "that phoney" Skip with a blistering segment. Stephen A is at least smart enough to know that it's best to keep it real, and so he didn't walk around for 20 years saying he was pistol pete or whatever.

Sssmush
04-12-2012, 06:13 PM
btw, I think that is an AMAZING video segment, one of the best and most entertaining I've seen, and really incredible. A lot of angles there... I'd like to see more of that kind of thing. Oh and, yeah we're all bashing Skip, but he's probably not such a bad guy, he seems ok. But watchout, those little pathological liar weirdo guys CAN sometimes become dangerous when they are cornered, like a rat or a badger.

All that being said, though, I'd actually be more interested to see new Skip Bayless segments on ESPN now, so his entertainment value has actually gone UP.

ghettosean
04-13-2012, 07:19 AM
There are several. Actually, Jalen seems to calmly own this "debate", which is somewhat amazing because he is essentially being triple-teamed by Skip, Stephen A and the host of the show, who also acts as ref.

As the segment is introduced, you can clearly see that Skip is wound up and ready to go, almost hyperventilating as they are introduced, as if he thinks his entire career is riding on this moment. Jalen merely sits back with a slightly bemused look on his face, the look of the person who has exposed the big phony from a secure spot.

Actually, the mere fact that this special "roundtable" has to be called shows that Jalen has already won the debate. And Skip's pathetically detailed explanation of why he wasnt a basketball star, even mentioning the "coach's son", does nothing to explain why he's lied about his basketball resume and misrepresented hiimself all these years... which, by the way, brings in to question every word that's ever come out of his mouth, in terms of journalism.

Jalen also wins in terms of commonsense. Stephen A and Skip B try to bring it around to the idea of it being OK to trash players like Kwame Brown as being completely incompetent idiots who can't ball at all... Jalen is just calmly pointing out that guys like Kwame are very talented and are good ball players, and that phony analysts like Stephen A or Skip B would never say that sort of thing to their faces, or in polite company.

So... if guys like Skip will say those kind of insults about players in the media, but wouldn't dare say them to their faces AND they in fact understand how talented these players are AND on top of that they have lied and misrepresented themselves and probably forged their phony transcripts, then that means that they are essentially huge phoneys, and so, yes, they have lost the debate.

I predict that Stephen A will cut Skip loose if the situation gets any hotter, scrambling to protect is own *** and turning against "that phoney" Skip with a blistering segment. Stephen A is at least smart enough to know that it's best to keep it real, and so he didn't walk around for 20 years saying he was pistol pete or whatever.
There's one thing I don't understand if anyone can answer this... I've only started to watch Skip this year (because of the lockout) but what exactly did he say about his basketball career?

I honestly have no clue did he say he was a star or something? I'm new someone fill me in on this...

ghettosean
04-13-2012, 07:21 AM
i think skip and jalen were fine.. .stephen a smith found that this was getting attention and jumped all over it. only he sounded extreamly stupid.. even if he had a point every one pretty much missed it because of the way he was carrying himself.

Stop pointing your gatt in my face yo! Aside from Skip who said very little I thought they were all over the place in that debate it really wasn't a steady topic.

time4change
04-13-2012, 08:12 AM
All I heard or saw from this was Skip Bayless making excuses and back tracking his prior statements, then literally eating Jalen's Nuts. Can you say suck-up!

Not to mention Stephen Smith is nothing more than a loud mouthed opinionated reporter. He made no points his entire time, just yelled. Need more attention Stephen? lol

tcav701
04-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Skip Bayless looks like a walking corpse.

boolish
04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
it's all scripted. it's as fake as the Karda$hians.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-13-2012, 09:51 AM

They actually are friends, and over the last 2 or 3 yrs, Skip has earned SAS's trust all due to the LeBron thing. SAS used to be one of the biggest LeBron defenders, but Skip from day one knew what this whole concept of "King James" was about since 2003, and after losing miserably in last yr's finals, SAS got on the Skip bandwagon. It took SAS 8 yrs to go from the dark and into the light, but it finally happened, and that's where the two grew tons of respect for each other over the past yr.

BigBlueCrew
04-13-2012, 10:32 AM

this is all exaggerated nonsense..

Jalen couldn't say anything because he had no viable response. You could see in his eyes that he really looked confused the whole time.

"His entire career is riding on this moment"? Really? I know PSD members like to blow crap up but think about that for a moment. First Take rides on Skip's shouders I dont think he really cares.

Kwame Brown IS a scrub. Let me reiterate that for you in case you didnt get that the first time. Kwame Brown IS a scrub. SAS and Skip are doing their jobs by comparing him to other NBA players, not to the wannabes on the playgrounds all around the world.

I take it you didnt see the clip between Skip and Chris Bosh when he came into the studio and called him 'Bosh Spice' face to face. Sure didnt laugh or say it with any venom. But Chris Bosh didnt whine or ***** like Jalen Rose seems to have done. I respected Chris for doing that.

this whole post from sssmush is as ridiculous as the volume of words

KingPosey
04-13-2012, 11:34 AM
SAS did not destroy anyone, and he really didnt say anything of value at all. He just TALKED LOUDER than Jalen, whenever he tried to speak, SHOCKER.

njnets825
04-13-2012, 11:55 AM
How do you have a debate with someone always yelling? Stephen A tell jalen to let him finish talking, when he goes on for 5 minutes. then when Jalen gets a chance starts screaming and making faces every 5 seconds. Just bc your loud doesn't mean you go ham

ghettosean
04-13-2012, 11:58 AM
SAS did not destroy anyone, and he really didnt say anything of value at all. He just TALKED LOUDER than Jalen, whenever he tried to speak, SHOCKER.
LOL... For a while I kept getting confused on WTF --> SAS meant.

I kept thinking San Antonio Spurs and I'm thinking to myself why do people keep refrencing them :laugh2:

I get it now Stephen A Smith...

Aside from the louder talking his points were more valid than Jalens... Saying there are no scrubs in the NBA is ridiculous. Jalen was talking as if they should say everyone in the NBA is just fantastic and that's what should be reported. Some players play like **** and those people are scrubs then Jalen moved onto different topics like families and other things to keep trying to take jabs at Skip it was pretty sad to watch and the expression on Jalens face during most of that debate said it all for me.

KingPosey
04-13-2012, 12:08 PM
And dont let Skip get lost in all this. He was ****ing EXPOSED. I have been calling him a fraud athlete for years, and everyone knows "that guy", the Uncle Rico, where everyone else held him back. Whether it was the phantom knee injury that everyone on PSD has had when you bring up how good you were at basketball, to the coach's sons of the worlds, to the coach purposely trying to ruin your career.

We have all heard that ******** 100 times before Skip, you were exposed mother ****er.

ghettosean
04-13-2012, 12:14 PM
And dont let Skip get lost in all this. He was ****ing EXPOSED. I have been calling him a fraud athlete for years, and everyone knows "that guy", the Uncle Rico, where everyone else held him back. Whether it was the phantom knee injury that everyone on PSD has had when you bring up how good you were at basketball, to the coach's sons of the worlds, to the coach purposely trying to ruin your career.

We have all heard that ******** 100 times before Skip, you were exposed mother ****er.
I asked earlier in general for someone to answer because I've only watched skip this season but what did he say exactly that makes him a fraud.

What's the big deal on what he said on his basketball career?!?

I honestly don't know can you elaborate? Everyone is calling him a fraud but no one says what he said that makes him a fraud.

ghettosean
04-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Honestly I asked the above question a few times now and everytime I ask it no one is able to respond to me :laugh2:

I just want to be educated on the fraud issue come one people lots of you are saying it and I just want to be brought up to speed. What did the man say already about his basketball career that was so bad.

Kashmir13579
04-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Jalen to me comes of as a self-righteous prick. I'm not a SAS fan and i hate Skip, but it seems like SAS is just being real with himself. SAS won by KO.
"You shoulda been in the studio MANG" LOL

Lakeshow24KB
04-13-2012, 05:21 PM
SAS won. And jalen rose is a queer

Mile High Champ
04-13-2012, 06:28 PM
WOW I tought Stephen A Smith was going to have a heart attack mid way through the show.. hilarious.

Sssmush
04-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Honestly I asked the above question a few times now and everytime I ask it no one is able to respond to me :laugh2:

I just want to be educated on the fraud issue come one people lots of you are saying it and I just want to be brought up to speed. What did the man say already about his basketball career that was so bad.

*sigh*

Ok I don't know why it ends up having to be me who brings you up to speed on this issue/thread. I don't mind though:

Apparently Bayless had carried around this personal mythology about his basketball stardom in high school, something that he referred to pretty regularly, and used as a lynchpin of his personal and sports credibility.

Then Jalen Rose apparently got irritated with Skip's Andy Griffith act and frequent reverential comments about Bobby Knight, another red-faced angry southern dude who believes he knows a lot about how to get basketball players to perform, and anyways yada yada, Jalen does a bit of research and *oops* Skip turns out to have totally lied about his basketball past.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/sports/135930/jalen_rose_slams_skip_bayless

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/jalen-rose-skip-bayless-basketball-lie_n_1415422.html

Then the "emergency roundtable" that you saw on the video is called, with Stephen A there for backup, and the host delicately tiptoes around the issue of "real world sports experience", "journalism", "personal pride", "reputation" and "misunderstandings", and the topic pretty quickly gets shifted over to analysts insulting players. At the beginning of the segment you see Skip spend a few minutes circularly explaining the circumstances of his HS basketball career, in the desperate, grasping tones of the exposed pathological liar, and throwing in comments about how the coach used favoritism against him, mentioning the coaches son etc, and also how he's used those setbacks to motivate himself on ESPN, trying to spin the whole scenario somehow to his favor.

That's all. Maybe it's all been overstated a bit, but ESPN kind of made it worse by staging this semi-confrontational media event and putting Skip on the spot big time. Stephen A adds some excitement. "Can I talk Jalen? Can I talk? Can I talk Jalen? Jalen. Can, I, talk? Can I talk? Jalen can I talk?" etc etc

HouRealCoach
04-14-2012, 02:32 AM
Jalen Rose owned this argument...

He ALWAYS owns Skip and Stephen A Smith just yelled and didn't let him speak to make it seem like he was getting his point across but really meant nothing

Sssmush
04-14-2012, 02:36 AM
this is all exaggerated nonsense..

Jalen couldn't say anything because he had no viable response. You could see in his eyes that he really looked confused the whole time.

"His entire career is riding on this moment"? Really? I know PSD members like to blow crap up but think about that for a moment. First Take rides on Skip's shouders I dont think he really cares.

Kwame Brown IS a scrub. Let me reiterate that for you in case you didnt get that the first time. Kwame Brown IS a scrub. SAS and Skip are doing their jobs by comparing him to other NBA players, not to the wannabes on the playgrounds all around the world.

I take it you didnt see the clip between Skip and Chris Bosh when he came into the studio and called him 'Bosh Spice' face to face. Sure didnt laugh or say it with any venom. But Chris Bosh didnt whine or ***** like Jalen Rose seems to have done. I respected Chris for doing that.

this whole post from sssmush is as ridiculous as the volume of words

I thought Jalen said a lot. Anyway the whole issue of over the top insults and negative hyperbole directed at the players with impunity by wimpy little analysts who are, at least some of them we now know, complete liars and phonies, was actually thrown in there by Skip and Stephen A as a diversion, so that Jalen would stop ripping Skip's leg off with the liar liar pants on fire you lying ****ing phony issue.

This is civilized TV, after all, and Skip may be a huge HUGE phoney, but it is still in somewhat bad taste to just absolutely take him apart on national TV, especially when he is pathetically trying to explain himself and reinvent his backstory on the fly.

Then again, if Skip is game enough to call out Chris Bosh in studio live, and call him "Bosh Spice" then maybe we should just let Skippy fend for himself. Just 'cause skip is a cute little guy with wavy hair and a smart-mouth, ok, he can get away with dissing Bosh on the air. And hey, it is kind of funny. But these guys aren't walking into a bar and telling Kwame that he's the worst most worthless player in NBA history and that they would smack him around or something... get the **** out. The "Bosh Spice" remark is probably Skip's greatest moment of glory.

PacersForLife
04-14-2012, 02:36 AM
It seems like Jalen Rose's facial expression and tone never changes.

Sssmush
04-14-2012, 02:40 AM
It seems like Jalen Rose's facial expression and tone never changes.

Jalen keeps his cool really well, even though there is a strong undercurrent of tension and macho-rooster vibe permeating the room. Jalen does sometimes have kind of a flat affect, but if he did get all wild like Stephen A, it would be too much, and he would probably make everybody in the studio cry.

Sssmush
04-14-2012, 02:43 AM
Stephen A can get away with it because he has charm, and he plays the role of the angry nerd... kind of like Urkel on roid-rage or something. Everyone thinks it's cute and kind of identifies with him when he's "on." Of course he is ridiculous, but he has his shtick and it works for him, so, more power to him.

PacersForLife
04-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Jalen keeps his cool really well, even though there is a strong undercurrent of tension and macho-rooster vibe permeating the room. Jalen does sometimes have kind of a flat affect, but if he did get all wild like Stephen A, it would be too much, and he would probably make everybody in the studio cry.

Haha probably...

LASportsFan1996
04-14-2012, 03:44 AM
Love This Show, Stephan A Just Went Ham On Jalen Rose

ghettosean
04-14-2012, 09:05 PM
*sigh*

Ok I don't know why it ends up having to be me who brings you up to speed on this issue/thread. I don't mind though:

Apparently Bayless had carried around this personal mythology about his basketball stardom in high school, something that he referred to pretty regularly, and used as a lynchpin of his personal and sports credibility.

Then Jalen Rose apparently got irritated with Skip's Andy Griffith act and frequent reverential comments about Bobby Knight, another red-faced angry southern dude who believes he knows a lot about how to get basketball players to perform, and anyways yada yada, Jalen does a bit of research and *oops* Skip turns out to have totally lied about his basketball past.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/sports/135930/jalen_rose_slams_skip_bayless

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/jalen-rose-skip-bayless-basketball-lie_n_1415422.html

Then the "emergency roundtable" that you saw on the video is called, with Stephen A there for backup, and the host delicately tiptoes around the issue of "real world sports experience", "journalism", "personal pride", "reputation" and "misunderstandings", and the topic pretty quickly gets shifted over to analysts insulting players. At the beginning of the segment you see Skip spend a few minutes circularly explaining the circumstances of his HS basketball career, in the desperate, grasping tones of the exposed pathological liar, and throwing in comments about how the coach used favoritism against him, mentioning the coaches son etc, and also how he's used those setbacks to motivate himself on ESPN, trying to spin the whole scenario somehow to his favor.

That's all. Maybe it's all been overstated a bit, but ESPN kind of made it worse by staging this semi-confrontational media event and putting Skip on the spot big time. Stephen A adds some excitement. "Can I talk Jalen? Can I talk? Can I talk Jalen? Jalen. Can, I, talk? Can I talk? Jalen can I talk?" etc etc
That's fair thanks for the explanation... I guess Jalen is going to have to do some more digging to see if Skips explanation is true or not that's the only other thing. It's pretty easy to see if the coach and his son were on the same team and that would favor Skips argument of favoritism and why his scoring total was so low as he said he was on the "B Squad" or coming off the bench as the coach gave his son the main chunk of minutes.

The only thing I can say is look at Jeremy Lin... Dude rotted on the bench of different teams all over the NBA and before he came to the Knicks if you check his stats on the Golden State Warriors a year before his stats in just points and assists were:

Jeremy Lin (GSW 2010-2011 Season)

2.6 PPG
1.4 AST
1.2 REB

Now just by calling out Jeremy on his stats I can say he is a piece of **** as far as basketball goes and as for his coaches before today I can call them liars saying Jeremy is such a great player but I think we all know better than to say such things.

There is really no proof that Skip lied at all but heck if Jalen wants to dig deeper (he's gone this far) then he can check to see if the coaches son was on the team and confirm that with the rest of the basketball world and put this to an end. Skip is not stupid he's not dumb enough to get caught with his pants down on this and let it drag on I believe his story and well if Jalen wants to make him look dumb and destroy his career then do a few more hours or days of digging and see if Skip is really full of **** or not.

Either way Jalen has no proof of anything but he can always collaborate with other haters and discredit Skips story in this clip but I think we all know that Skips being truthful on this or it's his career on TV down the drain.

Come on Jalen your the one who started this nonsense so you can be the one to finish it off... If Skip is lying then it's all there sitting on a silver platter for you to take him down ;)

ghettosean
04-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Stephen A can get away with it because he has charm, and he plays the role of the angry nerd... kind of like Urkel on roid-rage or something. Everyone thinks it's cute and kind of identifies with him when he's "on." Of course he is ridiculous, but he has his shtick and it works for him, so, more power to him.
So he had no valid points... Yes he raised his voice but it was on parts where Jalen is saying Kwame Brown isn't a scrub.

Do you agree with Jalen on some of these points?!?

ghettosean
04-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Love This Show, Stephan A Just Went Ham On Jalen Rose
I'm new to this show but your damn right bro!

SAS went HAM on his ***!

Redskins10
04-14-2012, 09:23 PM
I can't believe some of you are on Skip and Smith's side. I'm sorry, but TALKING LIKE THIS during a debate just makes you look pathetic. Jalen ousted them for what they've been doing all along on this show and that is insulting players personally or making outrageous claims for shock value.

Also, if they're able to insult a player personally then Jalen should be able to oust Skip for his phony story. I just want to reiterate what others have been saying: Skip is a pathological liar.

ghettosean
04-14-2012, 09:42 PM
I can't believe some of you are on Skip and Smith's side. I'm sorry, but TALKING LIKE THIS during a debate just makes you look pathetic. Jalen ousted them for what they've been doing all along on this show and that is insulting players personally or making outrageous claims for shock value.

Also, if they're able to insult a player personally then Jalen should be able to oust Skip for his phony story. I just want to reiterate what others have been saying: Skip is a pathological liar.
I guess I'm sticking up for them because they say what is on there mind and they don't sensor it. Honestly you and me both know Kwame Brown is a scrub (I use him because I think all of PSD can agree on this point I won't hit up LBJ or Westy).

I find it entertaining to be honest... Chris Bosh said in an interview with Skip (at the end) that he has motivated him for next year (this season) because of the Bosh Spice nickname. He responded and that nickname is dead this year.

SAS and Skip say what's up according to what they think like me and you would say Kwame Brown is a scrub (you know it's true)... lol... They stuck with that debating with Jalen (SAS response to Jalen saying it's wrong to call players things like Kwaaambe Brown) and he kept trying to dodge the response to defend that he's not :laugh2:

Shaq called Bosh "Ru Paul" and no one jumps on him. I just don't think that it's ok for one and not the other :shrug:

rhino17
04-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Just because SAS talks louder and more than anyone else doesnt mean he owned anyone. He looked just as foolish as skip did.

rhino17
04-14-2012, 09:47 PM
I guess I'm sticking up for them because they say what is on there mind and they don't sensor it.
HUGE misconception. Talking out of your *** is not speaking your mind. SAS and Skip are both of the variety that they say things they don't believe just to be "controversial" and stir the pot. If anything, it is the opposite of speaking your mind. It is having no values or standards for your profession which is the most embarrassing thing of all.

ghettosean
04-14-2012, 09:59 PM
HUGE misconception. Talking out of your *** is not speaking your mind. SAS and Skip are both of the variety that they say things they don't believe just to be "controversial" and stir the pot. If anything, it is the opposite of speaking your mind. It is having no values or standards for your profession which is the most embarrassing thing of all.
But what do you mean really? Is there an example your going by? When SAS says the Kwame Brown is a scrub and Jalen does not well I think of what you said in the bolded above.

Here it is again if you missed it right from the begining of the disgrace of Jalen....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=xQ6s_J4F7h8

THE MTL
04-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Since when was Jalen Rose a PG? LMFAO!

SportsAndrew25
04-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Stephen A. Smith defending Skip Bayless? :speechless:

SB75
04-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Saw the entire thing....... Stephen A didn't destroy anything!

Jalen was right. You can't say someone sucked at something that you don't have the talent to do. If Skip thinks he's right for going into athletes past and pointing out their failures, why did he get offended when Jalen did it to him? The debate should have stayed between Jalen and Skip, Skip is a grown man he can defend himself. Bringing in that loud mouth Stephen A., wasn't needed. All he did was talk loud. Cut Jalen off several times and when Jalen returns the favor he yells " I let you talk"! No Stephen, you didn't. Jalen was 100% right, leave the analyzing to someone who played at that level. They hired Jalen to analyze and Skip and Stephen to comment on what the Analyzer said.

I really don't have a problem with Skip, as many have stated he's paid to be the bad guy. And he often makes good points. Stephen A, I have no love for. He just goes with the popular opinon and talks loud. In a day when we have intelligent Afro American commentators, we keep running this loud mouth out. Micheal Smith, Stuart Scott, JA,...... Pleases offer these guys Stephen's job.

But some posters are right these athlete's do need to develope thicker skin.

SB75
04-14-2012, 10:44 PM
But what do you mean really? Is there an example your going by? When SAS says the Kwame Brown is a scrub and Jalen does not well I think of what you said in the bolded above.

Here it is again if you missed it right from the begining of the disgrace of Jalen....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=xQ6s_J4F7h8

Not to high jack your debate with another poster..... But this is what I'm talking about. Brown is no great player, not at all! But making fun of his name and calling him a scrub, when everyone including Phil Jackson said he was one of the best defensive big men in the NBA, is laughable. Is he worthy of being picked #1 over all, absolutely not! But he didn't pick hisself did he? Everytime his contract runs out, he's getting the mid-level or above, so GM's and those incharge of basketball decisions, don't think he's a scrub.

ghettosean
04-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Not to high jack your debate with another poster..... But this is what I'm talking about. Brown is no great player, not at all! But making fun of his name and calling him a scrub, when everyone including Phil Jackson said he was one of the best defensive big men in the NBA, is laughable. Is he worthy of being picked #1 over all, absolutely not! But he didn't pick hisself did he? Everytime his contract runs out, he's getting the mid-level or above, so GM's and those incharge of basketball decisions, don't think he's a scrub.

Not to say that Phil Jackson was too close to the situation considering he was probably his coach at the time of these comments but define everyone...

I have never heard anyone say that he's one of the best defensive big men in the NBA. You think if he was that good that he wouldn't have only got a 1 year contract with Golden State and then sent to the Milwaukee Bucks in a hurry.

In regards to your earlier quote I'll be straight if I played against Kwame Brown I'd be destroyed and I would be surprised if I get 1 point on him... Compared to me he's damn ****ing good and out of my league! But when comparing him to other players in the NBA (not me or you) dude is a scrub there is no if, ands or buts.... I'm just being honest... It just is what it is man :shrug:

Saying anything but in my opinion is just bull$#!t

Redskins10
04-15-2012, 01:08 AM
I don't consider any NBA player a scrub. Millions of people around the world aspire to play in the NBA.. There are only 450 jobs in the NBA. To be one of those 450 players is an amazing feat in itself, so calling any of them a scrub is a bit unfair.

ghettosean
04-15-2012, 01:30 AM
I don't consider any NBA player a scrub. Millions of people around the world aspire to play in the NBA.. There are only 450 jobs in the NBA. So to be one of those 450 players is an amazing feat in itself, so calling any of them a scrub is a bit unfair.
Here's a good example of one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTYmA6QJm4A :laugh2:

Aside from that there are numerous examples of scrubs in the NBA like look at Haseem Thabeet. This guy was clearly picked because of his size and not basketball ability I mean the guy is in his 3rd year in the NBA and he is averaging 1 rebound and 1 point. How is that not being a scrub IN THE NBA!!! Lets not compare these guys to every walk of life when analyst call these guys scrubs we all know exactly what they are saying they aren't comparing them to little Jonny nobody on the basketball court in Utah or something. We all know they are comparing them to other players in the same league.

Compared to the same company in the same league calling players like this scrubs is completely valid in my opinion.

Sssmush
04-17-2012, 04:31 AM
Compared to the same company in the same league calling players like this scrubs is completely valid in my opinion.

Sean, yes obviously you are right about this, at least to some extent. It is kind of like the idea of building up for a boxing or MMA fight, by making it seem like the fighters are really angry with each other.

In the same way there is a kind of basketball mythology, of who are the great players. Some players like Kwame or Adam Morrison got built up sky-high to be great players, but then they prove all the analysts wrong, or for whatever reason underachieve and make themselves ridicule-worthy in the pantheon of NBA-gods. It's like there has to be a story... there has to be good guys, there has to be bad guys, there has to be underdogs you root for, winners, losers, young guns, old veterans, fools, idiots, morons, scapegoats, as well as kings, princes, deadly serpents and supermen.

So, guys like SAS or SB are just there to give you an extra shot of endorphins and adrenaline to go with your ESPN highlights and your lite beer after work.

UKblazers
04-17-2012, 05:11 AM
I know its not really the point but Kwame Brown has played better than Kendrick Perkins this year. How come nobody refers to Perkins as a scrub?

amos1er
04-17-2012, 05:19 AM
I know its not really the point but Kwame Brown has played better than Kendrick Perkins this year. How come nobody refers to Perkins as a scrub?

Perkins gives more effort and is a much better defensive player. Kwame is good at man to man defense, but Perkins is a defensive beast in the paint. Perkins has also been the defensive anchor in the low post for a championship team. Kwame was the number one pick in the draft and had higher expectations and more potential. Perkins did more with less.

UKblazers
04-17-2012, 06:12 AM
Perkins gives more effort and is a much better defensive player. Kwame is good at man to man defense, but Perkins is a defensive beast in the paint. Perkins has also been the defensive anchor in the low post for a championship team. Kwame was the number one pick in the draft and had higher expectations and more potential. Perkins did more with less.

I agree i was just using him as an example to display that Kwame isn't nearly as bad as some people think, at least relative to other players not considered "scrubs".

ne3xchamps
04-17-2012, 06:32 AM
its all for ratings. I don't know why people can't see that yet. Jalen and skip probably hate each other, but stephen a smith coming to skip's defense is just for good tv.

amos1er
04-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Same.

Both are blundering idiots.

Got to love the irony on this one. :D You who posts opinions about sports topics on internet message forums for fun is calling two people who have managed to get paid for their opinions about sports topics on a national level "blundering iditos". :rolleyes:

3baller9
04-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Perkins gives more effort and is a much better defensive player. Kwame is good at man to man defense, but Perkins is a defensive beast in the paint. Perkins has also been the defensive anchor in the low post for a championship team. Kwame was the number one pick in the draft and had higher expectations and more potential. Perkins did more with less.Garnett was the defensive anchor for that team.

DenButsu
04-17-2012, 09:36 AM
All I can say is that I was bored to tears with the whole damn conversation (I mean really, who gives a ****?) until SAS came in and at least made in entertaining.

Still, I regret wasting that many minutes of my life on such a meaningless and worthless topic.

Sssmush
04-17-2012, 07:16 PM
All I can say is that I was bored to tears with the whole damn conversation (I mean really, who gives a ****?) until SAS came in and at least made in entertaining.

Still, I regret wasting that many minutes of my life on such a meaningless and worthless topic.

I disagree. I thought that was one of the most fascinating, dramatic and emotionally charged basketball commentary videos I have ever seen. I feel like we could say more about the segment, but at some point we gotta just let it go, let it absorb into the info-sphere and disappear.

Then like 10 years from now, we'll be like "remember when Jalen did some detective work on Skip, and then Skip took up 10 minutes of an ESPN show talking about how his high school coach robbed him of his chance for basketball stardom, and then this guy called Stephen A Smith popped up in the window and started yelling at Jalen like some kind of angry muppet? Remember that?"

"No way dude, that never happened. Everybody knows that Vice President Bayless would never lie. He even told his father about that time he chopped down the cherry tree in the yard. President Palin and Vice President Bayless are the best leaders this country has ever had."

DenButsu
04-18-2012, 09:38 AM
^I see where you're going with that, and point taken.

But really. Does anyone put that much credence or weight in what Skip, Jalen and Steven say in the first place? I know I don't, and I was kind of under the impression that most serious NBA fans don't either.

Good analysis and good arguments stand on their own merit, regardless of who voices them. Pissing matches about who's got the most street cred don't mean a damn thing to me.