PDA

View Full Version : Jon Barry: "Heat don't understand importance of dominance in regular season"

C-Style
04-11-2012, 07:55 PM
"They were talking on the Heat-Celtics halftime show about how the Heat sometimes just don't come out to play and how not sending a dominant message to teams is going to hurt them in the long-run. The Heat seem to show no sense of urgency in the RS, but can they be expected to just turn it on in the playoffs?

Agree or disagree?"

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Not sure what regular season dominance has to do with post season success.

Cfrey
04-11-2012, 08:00 PM
you gotta make teams scared of you in the regular season so it plays to your advantage in the postseason

k.smith904
04-11-2012, 08:01 PM
the heat will just go into the extra gear in the playoffs.

the one that no other team possesses.

RC3
04-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Regular season doesn't mean anything. Celtics were 50-32 and made the finals which nobody expected at the time. I just want to say that Jon Barry sucks and is a knicks hater.

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
you gotta make teams scared of you in the regular season so it plays to your advantage in the postseason

I dont think the bulls were affraid of the heat last season, they beat us all 3 times...

northsider
04-11-2012, 08:05 PM
I dont think the bulls were affraid of the heat last season, they beat us all 3 times...

We we're one of the top 3 teams in the league. This is referring to bottom feeders and teams that you should be demolishing yet they gain some what of a confidence in being able to run with you guys and win some games.

I totally get what he means and while it merits some truth I still think the Heat will be fine. I really don't buy however they are allowing teams to win and they play half *** ALL game in these losses cause you def. see them give it their all to end games if they are down.

Cfrey
04-11-2012, 08:06 PM

I'm going to assume Jon Barry was talking about actual regular season dominance.. im talking some of the greatest teams in the history of the game like the bulls for example.. because the heat have the tools to be that great but they just dont.. if the heat were doing something like that then yeah teams would be scared of you in the postseason..

they aren't scared of you when they know they can beat you

Giraffes Rule
04-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Tell that to the Bulls and Spurs last year. I think any of them would trade regular season records to have been in the same position the Heat were by the end of the playoffs.

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 08:10 PM
We we're one of the top 3 teams in the league. This is referring to bottom feeders and teams that you should be demolishing yet they gain some what of a confidence in being able to run with you guys and win some games.

I totally get what he means and while it merits some truth I still think the Heat will be fine. I really don't buy however they are allowing teams to win and they play half *** ALL game in these losses cause you def. see them give it their all to end games if they are down.

Very true, but they often dont give it there all for the first 3 qtrs, as a heat fan its annoying as ****, but i know in the playoffs they will play hard from the start.

Pretty much any chance barry can hate on the heat, he will. Heat just arent a dominant regular season team, they dont try to be one. A bunch of guys being in slumos hasn;t helped either

northsider
04-11-2012, 08:13 PM
I believe the playoffs will be different. I just think the Heat don't match other teams intensity to start cause teams come out to prove something where for the Heat they are just trying to win games. Then they notice tempo and may already be down they usually pick it up and make a game of it.

However I think when they played OKC you got a taste of 4 quarter Heat basketball against at team they came out to play from the start as well as when they play teams like the Bulls. Perhaps they do down play low teams but, it's no question they are a superior team.

C-Style
04-11-2012, 08:16 PM
I don't think it's by design...they just haven't been playing well. Obviously they would prefer to be dominating.

C-Style
04-11-2012, 08:18 PM
I believe the playoffs will be different. I just think the Heat don't match other teams intensity to start cause teams come out to prove something where for the Heat they are just trying to win games. Then they notice tempo and may already be down they usually pick it up and make a game of it.

However I think when they played OKC you got a taste of 4 quarter Heat basketball against at team they came out to play from the start as well as when they play teams like the Bulls. Perhaps they do down play low teams but, it's no question they are a superior team.

Does that apply to the Jordan Bulls and all the other teams that dominated the league?

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Yea, that last game agasint okc was about the closest to a complete game miami has played all year.

Last night i thought they tried pretty hard but boston was just unstoppable

FraziersKnicks
04-11-2012, 08:25 PM
In the last 12 years, the team with the best record in the league has only gone on to win the NBA title 3 times. :shrug:

northsider
04-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Does that apply to the Jordan Bulls and all the other teams that dominated the league?

Sure...what's your point?

Different era's are different era's, different teams are different teams, mentalities, play style, abilities everything is different from one to another. What may hold true to some may not hold true to all.

C-Style
04-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Sure...what's your point?

Different era's are different era's, different teams are different teams, mentalities, play style, abilities everything is different from one to another. What may hold true to some may not hold true to all.

my point is that the Heat are not as dominant as we thought they would be. They should be steam rolling teams.

northsider
04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
my point is that the Heat are not as dominant as we thought they would be. They should be steam rolling teams.

Fair enough and understandably so. Perhaps they got too much praise as one of the greatest teams ever assembled and they are just a really good talent team that lacks depth that would put them into elite status of historic teams. I mean it is only their 2nd year together and a awkward short season so who knows. One thing is for sure the Heat are a scary team regardless just based on having a guy like Lebron on their team and too boot they have another guy with an amazing resume in Wade.

Chronz
04-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Maybe they just dont fit that well together

dtmagnet
04-11-2012, 09:14 PM
I think thats just over-analyzing things.

xxcubs22xx
04-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't think it's by design...they just haven't been playing well. Obviously they would prefer to be dominating.

This.

The Heat are a very good team but they have some holes. Sometimes that dominance just simply isn't there.

THE GIPPER
04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Mavs didnt exactly dominate the regular season last year

Raph12
04-11-2012, 11:20 PM
After watching the Heat take over the first 3 rounds of the playoffs, I think teams are intimidated plenty.

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 11:27 PM
After watching the Heat take over the first 3 rounds of the playoffs, I think teams are intimidated plenty.

Good point. When the heat are on and running, they look unstoppable, when they are soft, passive and not playing good D they are ver beatable

PlayDPlease
04-11-2012, 11:30 PM
"They were talking on the Heat-Celtics halftime show about how the Heat sometimes just don't come out to play and how not sending a dominant message to teams is going to hurt them in the long-run. The Heat seem to show no sense of urgency in the RS, but can they be expected to just turn it on in the playoffs?

Agree or disagree?"

Jon Barry must have missed last season's playoffs.

LeBron and DWade are not one bit concerned about the Celtics.

beasted86
04-11-2012, 11:33 PM

Disagree.

If they feel from before the series starts they are expected to lose and everybody is counting them out, they can play with a chip on their shoulder and play with nothing to lose. They will go into the series playing differently than they normally play, possibly more physical and aggressive in an all out attempt to win, and this could lead to an upset.

If a team beat another team in the regular season a couple games, have some "winning recipe" they developed in their head thinking they know how to beat them planning out their best game plan expecting they could have a chance to steal the series, then the team comes outs and ******** on them in the first 2 games and blows their "best gameplan" away that will kill team spirit far more.

SpaceJamJordans
04-11-2012, 11:37 PM

yep look at the celtics or the spurs

JNA17
04-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Maybe they just dont fit that well together

Lebron on the Bulls would have made them champions for the next...decade probably. But now I'm just beating a dead horse.

But yeah its still surprising how a team with two top 5 players in the NBA and one top 15-20 player in the NBA can't even get the 1st seed in two years, when they should have won 65+ games last year and less then half the losses they have this season.

Teeboy1487
04-11-2012, 11:45 PM

The 2010 Lakers limped into the playoffs and look what happened. The Heat are still the favorites in the East. Also 40-16 in a condensed schedule is not bad.

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 11:48 PM
nothing is more important that health in this season, and right now heat are healthier than bulls, i cant ask for much more as a heat fan

gotoHcarolina52
04-11-2012, 11:58 PM
I don't have a window into the HEAT's locker room, so I don't know if their many underwhelming regular season performances are a product of simply not caring, poor coaching, poor execution, or a combination. We'll have to wait and see how they perform during the post season.

Truth be told, it's immensely disappointing to see them playing so uninspired and without a sense of urgency during the regular season, especially given how last year's Finals ended. But all will be forgiven if--and this is a big if--they turn it on during the playoffs and win a title in June.

Ebbs
04-12-2012, 01:52 AM
Totally depends on the team. My Mavs strived on being the under dogs last year.

TylerSL
04-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Jon Barry is a fool who just wants another reason to rag on Miami. I dont think I have ever seen an analyst go so far to rag on one team so much. Who really cares what he says. The more he shows how bias he is, the less credibility he has.

theheatles
04-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Jon Barry is 1 of the most obvious espn puppets, along with ric bucher

Southsideheat
04-12-2012, 08:55 AM
I agree barry is anti heat and pro bulls, but even broussard is going against the heat. I don't think the heat are built for a dominating regular season, the are built for the playoffs with scheduled off days, but no one is scared of the heat which is a surprise. If you think the heat are bad in the regular season now, imagine if they win a championship this year, they will be even worse next regular season.

da ThRONe
04-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Complete non-issue. We've seen teams cut it on before in the post season. Heat are bored.

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 12:17 PM
I agree barry is anti heat and pro bulls, but even broussard is going against the heat. I don't think the heat are built for a dominating regular season, the are built for the playoffs with scheduled off days, but no one is scared of the heat which is a surprise. If you think the heat are bad in the regular season now, imagine if they win a championship this year, they will be even worse next regular season.

Shouldn't be.

Fnom11
04-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Yea, that last game agasint okc was about the closest to a complete game miami has played all year.

Last night i thought they tried pretty hard but boston was just unstoppable

3rd/4th they definitely tried but KG just didn't miss. He really had a great game. But I still think it's inexcusable and stupid to not try in the 1st/2nd

Fnom11
04-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Totally depends on the team. My Mavs strived on being the under dogs last year.

I respect you a lot for having amazing taste in TV shows.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Jon Barry is an idiot

NoahH
04-12-2012, 12:33 PM

ditto

Ladies Man
04-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Miami wants to win a championship but they need championship mentality. Champion caliber teams won't blow off the entire second half and say we'll wait for the playoffs. With that mindset they won't win IMO

Stinkyoutsider
04-12-2012, 01:02 PM
The Heat will be fine come playoff time. I would rather pace through the season (especially shortened season) then come out agressive during the playoffs. The Heat know the goal is to win the playoffs and I think they're a great road team so they have nothing to worry about...

b_russ
04-12-2012, 01:07 PM
I stopped reading after I saw the quote came from John Barry.

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 01:10 PM
The Heat will be fine come playoff time. I would rather pace through the season (especially shortened season) then come out agressive during the playoffs. The Heat know the goal is to win the playoffs and I think they're a great road team so they have nothing to worry about...

This, most important thing is health and heat are healthier than chicago. much rather have the healthy team than the 1 seed

HuRRiCaNeS324
04-12-2012, 01:15 PM
I hate jon barry!!

blastmasta26
04-12-2012, 01:22 PM
What is the importance of dominance in the regular season? All you need to really do (which Miami is doing) is get a top 2-3 seed at least so you can secure HCA against most teams. The Heat aren't quite playing to their regular season potential, but they've shown that they can handle the postseason well by getting to the Finals last year. For some teams, maybe full effort all the way is a necessity, but I don't think the Heat are one of those teams.

nycsports2
04-12-2012, 01:26 PM
theyll turn it up in the playoffs i think, the only thing the heat have to worry about is the 4th quarter 6 mins and less come playoff time

AIRMAR72
04-12-2012, 01:36 PM
the heat have NO true halfcourt game BUT when they are running and making shots their at they best im a bigfan of wade and bron but they need a post player to attack the paint in their halfcourt set the pacer WILL beat the heat in 7games boston if rondo stays healthy WILL beat the heat same goes for the thunders they NO post presence in the paint that is main remedy you need to win it ALL halfcourt game PLAY on both end because the game slows down in the playoffs every shot matters

KingPosey
04-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Regular season doesn't mean anything. Celtics were 50-32 and made the finals which nobody expected at the time. I just want to say that Jon Barry sucks and is a knicks hater.

I think a lot of people expected the Celtics to make the finals. They were stacked, it was a weak East, that was not a shock.

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Heat got to the finals ther first season together. With Anthony and. Unit as starters. Lol. Not even worried about getting back there

Fnom11
04-12-2012, 02:43 PM
the heat have NO true halfcourt game BUT when they are running and making shots their at they best im a bigfan of wade and bron but they need a post player to attack the paint in their halfcourt set the pacer WILL beat the heat in 7games boston if rondo stays healthy WILL beat the heat same goes for the thunders they NO post presence in the paint that is main remedy you need to win it ALL halfcourt game PLAY on both end because the game slows down in the playoffs every shot matters

Don't they have the best half court offense this year? Their ONLY problem since the All Star break has been defense.

EYDI819
04-12-2012, 04:25 PM
In the last 50 years. 23 out of 50 Who had the best record in the NBA won the Championship. That is 46% so I dont know what Jon is talking about. Did it ever occur to him that The heat is a lock in the playoffs and they are probably practicing things (trying out plays) that they haven't tried before in a real game? What better way is there to practice than in a real game right?

THE MTL
04-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Miami has the 0.714 winning percentage, 2nd best record in the East, tied for 3rd best record in the NBA, 1.5 games away from 2nd best record in NBA, 3 games out of having NBA best record. How is that not dominance? What does he want from them...to go 66 and zero lol.

And he must have forgot how Miami SHITTTED all over Boston last year in the playoffs. Celtics were truly outclassed by the Heat.....same with Chicago (come playoff time).

Shmontaine
04-12-2012, 04:39 PM
In the last 50 years. 23 out of 50 Who had the best record in the NBA won the Championship. That is 46% so I dont know what Jon is talking about. Did it ever occur to him that The heat is a lock in the playoffs and they are probably practicing things (trying out plays) that they haven't tried before in a real game? What better way is there to practice than in a real game right?

not sure if this is accurate, but if it is, this completely proves JB's point....

top record wins 46% of the time

other 7 (i'll take the top 4 of each conference as having legitimate shots at the title) playoff positions win 54% of the time...

seems like your odds are much greater to win if your the team with with the best overall record, no?? :shrug:

EYDI819
04-12-2012, 04:46 PM
not sure if this is accurate, but if it is, this completely proves JB's point....

other 7 (i'll take the top 4 of each conference as having legitimate shots at the title) playoff positions win 54% of the time...

seems like your odds are much greater to win if your the team with with the best overall record, no?? :shrug:

The stats shows that if you have the Best Record, your chance of winning a Championship is only 46%. It is not that bad but winning a Championship does not require you to be number 1 in the Regular Season.

I think it is better if a team is 2nd to 4th seed because if you are a number 1 seed, everybody is gunning for you and you have a big target on the back of your head and all the pressure is on you.

blastmasta26
04-12-2012, 04:50 PM

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but I don't understand. If 54% of champions were teams that do not have the best record, isn't that proof that getting the best record doesn't mean you have the best chance at a title?

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Still not buying it, what did the 1 seed get chicago and san antonio last year?

Shmontaine
04-12-2012, 04:58 PM
http://www.nbauniverse.com/statistics/best_seasons.htm my source

The stats shows that if you have the Best Record, your chance of winning a Championship is only 46%. It is not that bad but winning a Championship does not require you to be number 1 in the Regular Season.

I think it is better if a team is 2nd to 4th seed because if you are a number 1 seed, everybody is gunning for you and you have a big target on the back of your head and all the pressure is on you.

thanks for the link...

not bad??? i guess we see things differently... of course it's not a pre-requisite for championship success, but there are 16 teams in the post season, and if you tell me one team has a 46% to win, that's huge...

you can think whatever you want, the link you provided shows it's best to have the best record... not required, but it's a better position to be in than any other seed...

also worth noting, that link also shows that if your team is #1 in the league and better winning percentage than .780, that team has 72% chance of winning the title... this would mean if the bulls end up with 52 wins (unlikely, but the only team left with a chance... the bulls would have to run the table to get to 52 wins), historically, they have a 72% chance of winning the title...

Shmontaine
04-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but I don't understand. If 54% of champions were teams that do not have the best record, isn't that proof that getting the best record doesn't mean you have the best chance at a title?

54% of teams ranked 2-16 combined win the championship...

i don't know the official stats, but prolly somthing like:

best record: 46% chance to win
2nd best: 20%
3rd best: 15%
4th best: 10%
5th best: 6%
6th best: 3%
7-15th best record: 0% chance to win

EYDI819
04-12-2012, 05:01 PM
10-11 - Bulls 62 wins Mavs Champion (5th best record)
09-10 - Cavs 61 wins LA Champion (3rd best record)
08-09 - Cavs 66 wins LA Champion (2nd best record)
07-08 - Bos 66 wins Bos Champion (best record)
06-07 - Mavs 67 wins Spurs Champion (3rd best record)
05-06 - Det 64 wins Miami Champion (4th best record)
04-05 - Suns 62 wins Spurs Champion (3rd best record)
03-04 - IND 61 wins DET Champion (3rd best record)
02-03 - SAS 60 wins Spurs Champion (best record)
01-02 - SAC 61 wins LA Champions (3rd best record)

In the last 10 years only 2 teams won the Championship when they had the best record
9 out of 10 won when their record is top 4 in the league
Only 1 won outside the top 4 (Mavs 10-11 season)

LongIslandIcedZ
04-12-2012, 05:02 PM
If Miami doesnt win the Championship this year, it will not be because they didnt dominate the regular season. It will be because of their depth and lack of a center. But I still think their gonna win.

blastmasta26
04-12-2012, 05:05 PM
54% of teams ranked 2-16 combined win the championship...

i don't know the official stats, but prolly somthing like:

best record: 46% chance to win
2nd best: 20%
3rd best: 15%
4th best: 10%
5th best: 6%
6th best: 3%
7-15th best record: 0% chance to win
Oh, alright, thanks for clearing that up.

EYDI819
04-12-2012, 05:08 PM
thanks for the link...

not bad??? i guess we see things differently... of course it's not a pre-requisite for championship success, but there are 16 teams in the post season, and if you tell me one team has a 46% to win, that's huge...

you can think whatever you want, the link you provided shows it's best to have the best record... not required, but it's a better position to be in than any other seed...

also worth noting, that link also shows that if your team is #1 in the league and better winning percentage than .780, that team has 72% chance of winning the title... this would mean if the bulls end up with 52 wins (unlikely, but the only team left with a chance... the bulls would have to run the table to get to 52 wins), historically, they have a 72% chance of winning the title...

I would kinda disagree on an extent because the regular season is based on playing ALL the teams in the NBA which is not really how the Playoffs work.

For example, if my WARRIORS won 65 games in season (I think i have a better chance seeing a white crow than that record) playing ALL THE TEAMS. But then, whenever we play the Lakers is we get blown out. When we meet in the Western Conference Finals, the Regular season has no meaning. The only thing that matters is how we matched in the season not including other teams.

willabeast77
04-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Jon Barry says nonsense like this all the time and it means nothing from him. Miami hasn't been completely dominant during the regular season because of injuries (Wade missing 11 games, LeBron not fully healthy + other minor things). The post-season is another season and if Miami is ready, they'll win.

Shmontaine
04-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Jon Barry says nonsense like this all the time and it means nothing from him. Miami hasn't been completely dominant during the regular season because of injuries (Wade missing 11 games, LeBron not fully healthy + other minor things). The post-season is another season and if Miami is ready, they'll win.

What does 'being ready' mean??

All teams have injuries.

EYDI819
04-12-2012, 05:27 PM
This is an interesting season. It really fits the "survival of the fittest". Everybody has injuries, everybody is tired, everybody is ailing something. Now we see who is the best through thick and thin including injuries. No reasons just Play!

kenzo400
04-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Jon Barry has a very good point. The regular season definetly shows you something and you have to get into the "mode" for the playoffs. I don't think the Heat can just "turn" it on anytime they want.

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Jon Barry has a very good point. The regular season definetly shows you something and you have to get into the "mode" for the playoffs. I don't think the Heat can just "turn" it on anytime they want.

See: 2011

I rather the heat just get into the playoffs healthy than be a team with the 1 seed and battling injuries to the top players

northsider
04-12-2012, 05:40 PM
See: 2011

I rather the heat just get into the playoffs healthy than be a team with the 1 seed and battling injuries to the top players

Except these injuries haven't hindered anything...It's one thing to be battling injuries and playing precautionary to have guys healthy for the playoffs. Just cause they don't out right say it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Rip is back and Rose is going to be healthy. Its a perfect storm brewing to have the extra rest going into the playoffs. If anything was taking from last years playoffs it was Rose was beat up and running on his last wind. I just am not worried about the injuries cause I think they are ones both guys could've played through however with how we have played with out them and the shortened season why do that?

waveycrockett
04-12-2012, 05:59 PM
I guess the Mavs and the Celtics didn't get that Memo either the past 2 years Mr. Barry.

The goods
04-12-2012, 06:00 PM
That's just silly the heat don't need homecourt advantage to win a title though it wouldn't hurt them to have it,I mean if they lose it won't be because they didn't have the best record in the league it'll be because they lost to a better team.

The goods
04-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Great teams win no matter what the regular season doesn't mean as much as they like to pretend.

The goods
04-12-2012, 06:13 PM
I guess the Mavs and the Celtics didn't get that Memo either the past 2 years Mr. Barry.

Actually the celtics won like 3 years ago.
The lakers went back 2 back,then mavs last year.
If I recall the celtics had the best record in the league the year they won.

waveycrockett
04-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Actually the celtics won like 3 years ago.
The lakers went back 2 back,then mavs last year.
If I recall the celtics had the best record in the league the year they won.

Umm 2 years ago when they got pretty screwed out of a Ring they were like the 5th seed in the East. Mavs were like a 3 seed last year. Not exactly dominance.

EYDI819
04-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Umm 2 years ago when they got pretty screwed out of a Ring they were like the 5th seed in the East. Mavs were like a 3 seed last year. Not exactly dominance.

smiddy012
04-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I stopped reading after I saw the quote came from John Barry.

funniest. sig. ever.

waveycrockett
04-12-2012, 06:32 PM

2 years ago was 2007?

EYDI819
04-12-2012, 06:35 PM
2 years ago was 2007?

im just pointing out what the goods was saying when he said that boston indeed was the top regular season team that also won the championship

mlisica19
04-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Regular season does not matter as much, so the teams with the best skills will often get into the playoffs and the teams with the most depth of those skilled and well coached teams will have a high seed.

BUT

In the playoffs, every thing matters especially the longer you go for. Its not just about skill but heart, not just about hunger but focus. Its how you prepare for each and every game with the body and the mind.

Look at the greats. I look at Kobe and anyone in the NBA will tell you hes a work dog. He will be the first one in the meeting and the last one out, same goes for practices and film sessions and what not.

I dont see that with LeBron, starting to see less of it with Dwayne. Those are the two leaders of the team, if their not leading their teammates to follow those necessary steps, idk if they will ever win a ring.

dodie53
04-13-2012, 03:55 AM
regular season is important,
you get home court advantage in the PO