PDA

View Full Version : Jump Shot help

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 05:38 PM
I am still a freshman in high school but I'm taking basketball seriously. I've been playing and I had a jumper that wasn't perfect form but it worked. However, I recently wanted to make a change in it. The main part is, I'm so used to keeping my off hand on the ball and shooting with both hands, almost the same way Joakim Noah does it, and I can't make the adjustment that I need to make. Does anyone know of something that I can buy to help me? For example, my friend told me of like, a disk I can put on my hand so that no matter what, I can't grip the ball.

I appreciate the help.

shep33
04-11-2012, 05:48 PM
I am still a freshman in high school but I'm taking basketball seriously. I've been playing and I had a jumper that wasn't perfect form but it worked. However, I recently wanted to make a change in it. The main part is, I'm so used to keeping my off hand on the ball and shooting with both hands, almost the same way Joakim Noah does it, and I can't make the adjustment that I need to make. Does anyone know of something that I can buy to help me? For example, my friend told me of like, a disk I can put on my hand so that no matter what, I can't grip the ball.

I appreciate the help.

I've always been one who thinks form isn't really important, as long as you have a quick release and the ball goes in (Larry Bird, etc.).

Anyways to your point. The best way is to literally tie your off hand to your side. Try shooting with one hand only, and do this on a consistent basis. When you start to feel comfortable with your release, bring your off hand back into the mix. Remember your off hand is a guide only, your not shooting with it at all.

There are some good videos on youtube to help with your problem too.

cubbies7177
04-11-2012, 05:49 PM

I appreciate the help.

I'm probably not as serious as you are about basketball, but I've been undergoing the same process of changing my form.

1. You're incredibly young, so going with better form - while harder and less successful at first - will be more beneficial long term. Just make sure the form you do adopt is correct.

2. How tall are you? What are your strengths? If your 7'0 like Joakim Noah, I'd say your form matters much less. It just matters that you can put the ball in the hoop. If your a smaller guard or anything under monstrous, you don't want to shoot like Joakim Noah. EVEN if it goes in IMO. With bad form, as a guard, no one will even look unless your (1) FREAKISHLY athletic or (2) FREAKISHLY tall. So, frankly, it matters what kind of body you have.

Evolution23
04-11-2012, 05:51 PM
This an older video but still applies today because shooting is shooting. It's a 4 part series on youtube from the legendary Pistol Pete. It helps me every time I have a bad shooting night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-nV0Gzof_0

MJ-BULLS
04-11-2012, 06:00 PM
^ I learned how to shoot from that man. I remember watching those videos when i was a kid.

THE GIPPER
04-11-2012, 06:00 PM

I appreciate the help.

I used to do the exact same thing but when I got older/stronger I just naturally started shooting with one hand. I also would always start close to the basket and work my way out to the foul line when shooting around, all while just using my right hand and not jumping.

After doing that I always felt that I had reminded my muscle memory what good form is and it helped a lot.

THE GIPPER
04-11-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm probably not as serious as you are about basketball, but I've been undergoing the same process of changing my form.

1. You're incredibly young, so going with better form - while harder and less successful at first - will be more beneficial long term. Just make sure the form you do adopt is correct.

2. How tall are you? What are your strengths? If your 7'0 like Joakim Noah, I'd say your form matters much less. It just matters that you can put the ball in the hoop. If your a smaller guard or anything under monstrous, you don't want to shoot like Joakim Noah. EVEN if it goes in IMO. With bad form, as a guard, no one will even look unless your (1) FREAKISHLY athletic or (2) FREAKISHLY tall. So, frankly, it matters what kind of body you have.

But there's nothing wrong with having perfect form no matter how tall or athletic you are.

xxplayerxx23
04-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Im a sr in hs, I got the dirk jumper, Its crazy how i shoot like him, i hit the fade like him, But honstley it doesnt matter how you shoot if you used to the way you shoot and it goes in keep it the same, I have a very good jumper it isnt perfect form, if your looking great form go try and copy ray allens

jayjay33
04-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Sounds to me like you making the mistake alot of people make. your shooting with too much arm. Use your wrist to shoot the ball and you should natrualy stop....are at the very least it wont effect you shot.

Iodine
04-11-2012, 06:03 PM
use sandpaper on your hands for about 30 minutes each day, the rougher the grit the beter.

Next you always want to scream before you shoot. Like I am about to die type scream.

Throw ****. like anything you find.

be as jerky as you can.

Carry a rape whistle

Follow all these and you will be the GOAT

DodgerBulls
04-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Damn, I would to see how you shoot. You're shooting hands are definitely not in place properly, but if it works, it works. Ask yourself if you really want to play ball after high school. If you want to play in college or something, you will likely have to change it.

In my case, I never took any lessons from anyone about my shooting. So take this advice lightly.

*Never grip the ball with your inferior hand, rather just to support the ball.
*Place your shooting hand as close as possible on the middle of the ball.
*About the arc, I like to have more so I would get a more favorable bounce as it will hit the top of the rim.
*I point my right foot or whatever foot that corresponds to your shooting hand to the rim as straight as possible just like when I shoot free throws.
*Also when about to shoot, I make sure that my hand and my right foot aligns if that makes sense.
*As for the body form, I don't know. I just have my own which is comfortable for me. I can shoot without lifting my foot off the ground other than my heel and I does wonders just like my jumpshots.

Thats pretty much it. I don't know what coaches will tell you, but mine worked and still works. Not trying to be arrogant, but if you're concered, i am a pretty good shooter.

Raph12
04-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Buy the Better Basketball - Shooting DVD starring JJ Redick... He probably has the most fundamental form in league history.

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 06:36 PM
I've always been one who thinks form isn't really important, as long as you have a quick release and the ball goes in (Larry Bird, etc.).

Anyways to your point. The best way is to literally tie your off hand to your side. Try shooting with one hand only, and do this on a consistent basis. When you start to feel comfortable with your release, bring your off hand back into the mix. Remember your off hand is a guide only, your not shooting with it at all.

There are some good videos on youtube to help with your problem too.

Yeah that's actually exactly what I've been doing lately. But again right when I get my hand on the ball I find myself pushing with my left thumb. But recently, especially during a Laker game or something, I just have my ball and I'm flicking my wrist so that the ball would go as close to my ceiling as possible so that I feel comfortable with my release and also so that I can concentrate on my left hand not moving at all.

nirvana235
04-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Just watch Steve Nash.

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 06:40 PM

Well I'm 6'2 so as a freshman that is a C/PF but I really don't like playing down low so I will be playing on the wing as a SF. My type of game isn't like flashy it's just smooth. I would say I'm over average on defense but my main strength is driving to the lane since I have such long arms. But let's say I'm on a fast break and there is a huge center in front of me I would definitely like being able to pull up for a good ten footer instead of trying to pull a move.

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Damn, I would to see how you shoot. You're shooting hands are definitely not in place properly, but if it works, it works. Ask yourself if you really want to play ball after high school. If you want to play in college or something, you will likely have to change it.

In my case, I never took any lessons from anyone about my shooting. So take this advice lightly.

*Never grip the ball with your inferior hand, rather just to support the ball.
*Place your shooting hand as close as possible on the middle of the ball.
*About the arc, I like to have more so I would get a more favorable bounce as it will hit the top of the rim.
*I point my right foot or whatever foot that corresponds to your shooting hand to the rim as straight as possible just like when I shoot free throws.
*Also when about to shoot, I make sure that my hand and my right foot aligns if that makes sense.
*As for the body form, I don't know. I just have my own which is comfortable for me. I can shoot without lifting my foot off the ground other than my heel and I does wonders just like my jumpshots.

Thats pretty much it. I don't know what coaches will tell you, but mine worked and still works. Not trying to be arrogant, but if you're concered, i am a pretty good shooter.

Yeah I'd feel comfortable and not worry about my form as much as it going in. And then it just wouldn't keep going in consistently and I noticed that I needed a good form that was consistent. Lately I've just been going to the courts, outdoors in AZ where it's been scorching hot recently, but idgaf because I need to practice.

ThuglifeJ
04-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Listen to me.

Shoot that **** with confidence.

The rest will follow and you will learn throughout your basketball career. You'll start draining with practice and time in the gym/games. Once you are hitting at the peak with your current shot you might realize on your misses "im putting no arc on this..". THEN you can start trying to maybe put more arc on.

Dont worry about form so much. BELIEVE IN YOUR SHOT. as long as its not absolutely horrible form youll be fine with time. I mean look at Shawn Marion even. Just saying.

fyi Ray Allen, the guy in your sig, Bird, Tmac, nearly every NBA player has a slightly unorthadoxed form in some way. Reddick is the only guy I can think of that shoes textbook form. So it really doesnt matter trust me

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Buy the Better Basketball - Shooting DVD starring JJ Redick... He probably has the most fundamental form in league history.

See the problem with me is, I have the idea of how I want to shoot the ball I'm just so damn used to shooting it how I do now that it's tough making the adjustment. Before, my knees were wide as well and everything is messed up. I've fixed everything but now it's just the off hand on that ball. I'm just going to keep working on it though. Plus all the videos and tips I'm getting is really helping too.

Ezio
04-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Kinda hard to give advice w/o seeing what's wrong.

Follow this guys advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IPuD8bGdts

ThuglifeJ
04-11-2012, 06:55 PM
shoot it how you're comfortable shooting. Just keep shooting trust me. Its not in the form.

Cfrey
04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
When I was a young basketball player I used to shoot from left to right. The ball would start on the left side of my body near my waste and move diagonally up towards the right as I released. I found it worked fine and it was a good shot while I was young but as I got older and kids started to get better it didn't work as well.

Just like you, I also went through a form change. The key is practice (obviously). Once you have found your new release it is a must that you practice this release all time so you can form muscle memory in your new shot.

What I found to work best for me was pretty much the traditional shooting method. When you have the ball and are ready to shoot you want to focus on keeping your strong arm at a 90 degree angle and tucked into your body. So since I'm right handed I keep my elbow at a 90 degree position with the ball in my palm and it is aligned straight down with my leg. I keep my left hand on the side of the ball and use it to guide the ball until its ready for the release. Which should be above your eyes.

I can understand if you struggle with this way at first because it does feel very awkward to try and start shooting this way after you've been going with your regular release for a long period of time. It just takes repetition.

Also just another tip, its critical that you always have your dominant foot a few inches ahead of your non dominant foot and you want your feet separation to be shoulder width.. Not too wide of a stance but also not too small of one as well. This helps create a very balanced shot.

Anything else you need help with I'd be glad to help

the_jon
04-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Quit now you'll never be any good

NYKnicks4511
04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Get stronger, hit the gym. I faced the same problem when I was real skinny, 5'10" and 130 my junior year of HS. By the time I graduated I was 6'1'' 170 and my shot was ******* wet. One hand or two hands though, nothing can atone for lack of repetitions. Muscle memory is the most important thing about shooting a ball.

Raph12
04-11-2012, 07:24 PM
See the problem with me is, I have the idea of how I want to shoot the ball I'm just so damn used to shooting it how I do now that it's tough making the adjustment. Before, my knees were wide as well and everything is messed up. I've fixed everything but now it's just the off hand on that ball. I'm just going to keep working on it though. Plus all the videos and tips I'm getting is really helping too.

I know what you mean, I have a slight fadeaway to my shot; whether my feet are set, stepping into the shot or off the dribble, I always tend to fade ever so slightly. I can shoot it regularly in practices or in a shootaround, but in games, I always tend to fade every time I shoot it... It's extremely difficult to change your shot once you get into a habit, in games, I always go back to doing what comes naturally.

My advice, stick to what works form-wise and just work on your slashing/post game more to earn the defenses' respect. Once you get the spacing right, you'll have the room you need to get your shot off regardless of how you shoot it.

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 07:24 PM

Thanks <3

FraziersKnicks
04-11-2012, 07:26 PM
This an older video but still applies today because shooting is shooting. It's a 4 part series on youtube from the legendary Pistol Pete. It helps me every time I have a bad shooting night.

That moustache is majestic

KB24PG16
04-11-2012, 07:58 PM
That moustache is majestic

pistol pete would be proud be of melo's straight arm in the shot in your sig

BallIsAll
04-11-2012, 08:04 PM
The best thing to do is shoot with one hand for about an hour then don't think about it and shoot normal. My left thumb used to push the ball as well but once I started shooting constantly without giving it mind, my shot sort of fixed itself. Just don't try to hard

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 08:59 PM
When I was a young basketball player I used to shoot from left to right. The ball would start on the left side of my body near my waste and move diagonally up towards the right as I released. I found it worked fine and it was a good shot while I was young but as I got older and kids started to get better it didn't work as well.

Just like you, I also went through a form change. The key is practice (obviously). Once you have found your new release it is a must that you practice this release all time so you can form muscle memory in your new shot.

What I found to work best for me was pretty much the traditional shooting method. When you have the ball and are ready to shoot you want to focus on keeping your strong arm at a 90 degree angle and tucked into your body. So since I'm right handed I keep my elbow at a 90 degree position with the ball in my palm and it is aligned straight down with my leg. I keep my left hand on the side of the ball and use it to guide the ball until its ready for the release. Which should be above your eyes.

I can understand if you struggle with this way at first because it does feel very awkward to try and start shooting this way after you've been going with your regular release for a long period of time. It just takes repetition.

Also just another tip, its critical that you always have your dominant foot a few inches ahead of your non dominant foot and you want your feet separation to be shoulder width.. Not too wide of a stance but also not too small of one as well. This helps create a very balanced shot.

Anything else you need help with I'd be glad to help

Thanks bro. All those little things are important and I've never had a trainer or anything so I kinda just tried learning on my own. But I'm definitely gonna hit the courts and try those tips and see if they help. Thanks man.

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 09:02 PM
I know what you mean, I have a slight fadeaway to my shot; whether my feet are set, stepping into the shot or off the dribble, I always tend to fade ever so slightly. I can shoot it regularly in practices or in a shootaround, but in games, I always tend to fade every time I shoot it... It's extremely difficult to change your shot once you get into a habit, in games, I always go back to doing what comes naturally.

My advice, stick to what works form-wise and just work on your slashing/post game more to earn the defenses' respect. Once you get the spacing right, you'll have the room you need to get your shot off regardless of how you shoot it.

Yeah shooting is definitely NOT my strength and I feel like I've gotten the defense's respect when I drive to the hoop but man it would be soo helpful to jab and take the jumper instead of forcing a bad shot down low. It's just soo awkward right now and it definitely doesn't feel right. But I gotta do what I gotta do.

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 09:04 PM
The best thing to do is shoot with one hand for about an hour then don't think about it and shoot normal. My left thumb used to push the ball as well but once I started shooting constantly without giving it mind, my shot sort of fixed itself. Just don't try to hard

Yup thats exactly what I'm doing and it's helped a lot. But I know that it's not gonna come over night it'll take months lol

BallIsAll
04-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Yup thats exactly what I'm doing and it's helped a lot. But I know that it's not gonna come over night it'll take months lol

youll be fine take the summer to practice mainly shooting and dribbling. a shooter who can dribble is the best weapon in basketball

Iodine
04-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Look, my advice is the best anyone will ever tell it. Order the whistle and get it on

Sly Guy
04-11-2012, 09:19 PM

I appreciate the help.

don't need to buy anything, I made the same switch when I was 14 and my jumper has been only deadly since. You know what you want it to look like, so try to model it after someone. I learned my first form from video games, but later tweaked it after watching hours upon hours or ray allen highlights.

I found the biggest thing I had to adjust to was the balance of the ball in my hands. To figure this out, I always try to span my shooting hand as wide as it'll go while keeping only my fingertips on the ball. Just make sure you release off your index finger and middle finger for the last bit of touch on the release.

Another big issue was that it became much harder to muscle your shots up. You've gotta really emphasize driving your toes into the ground on the jump and power your way up through your shot.

And of course, practice. When making such a drastic change to your game, it may not be the best thing to go up into games right away. Get on an empty floor, shoot around, take shots from every angle a million times. When not on the court, keep the ball in your hands and just practice your release over and over, get that backspin going perfectly everytime, feel the ball coming off your hands.....even when you aren't practicing, practice. anyone can become a great shooter.

UPRock
04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
When I've a bad night I always look at some Ray Allens videos. My style is weird as hell, because the release is quick. I've learned to shoot this way because I'm a little guy, and use to play a lot with my friend who's a lot bigger than me and every time I went to the basket a big block was waiting, so I learned to shoot the ball quickly to avoid being blocked.

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 09:28 PM
don't need to buy anything, I made the same switch when I was 14 and my jumper has been only deadly since. You know what you want it to look like, so try to model it after someone. I learned my first form from video games, but later tweaked it after watching hours upon hours or ray allen highlights.

I found the biggest thing I had to adjust to was the balance of the ball in my hands. To figure this out, I always try to span my shooting hand as wide as it'll go while keeping only my fingertips on the ball. Just make sure you release off your index finger and middle finger for the last bit of touch on the release.

Another big issue was that it became much harder to muscle your shots up. You've gotta really emphasize driving your toes into the ground on the jump and power your way up through your shot.

And of course, practice. When making such a drastic change to your game, it may not be the best thing to go up into games right away. Get on an empty floor, shoot around, take shots from every angle a million times. When not on the course, keep the ball in your hands and just practice your release over and over, get that backspin going perfectly everytime, feel the ball coming off your hands.....even when you aren't practicing, practice. anyone can become a great shooter.

Yeah I haven't even considered playing any games until I get my shot exactly how I want it. All the stupid things like form shooting from two feet away from the bucket is what helps. Even though that's what makes all the kids laugh, I know that I'm going to be the one laughing when I take their spot on the roster hehe

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Look, my advice is the best anyone will ever tell it. Order the whistle and get it on

Lol I don't even know what that means.

MrfadeawayJB
04-11-2012, 11:10 PM
It might sound funny but try practicing your new "proper form" on a lowered hoop. This allows you to focus on the mechanics of the shot and still have the strength to see the results. Once you master it on a lower hoop, raise it up little by little until you are comfortable shooting it on a 10 ft regulation hoop

Raph12
04-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Yeah shooting is definitely NOT my strength and I feel like I've gotten the defense's respect when I drive to the hoop but man it would be soo helpful to jab and take the jumper instead of forcing a bad shot down low. It's just soo awkward right now and it definitely doesn't feel right. But I gotta do what I gotta do.

If you got a great slashing/post game, you don't need to be a great shooter, just need enough to have the defense respect your shot. You've got to feel it out, shooting a shot uncomfortably is the same as forcing a shot down low that comes naturally; neither are well-advised.

I'm going to thank god that I didn't grow up in your household.

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 11:30 PM
If you got a great slashing/post game, you don't need to be a great shooter, just need enough to have the defense respect your shot. You've got to feel it out, shooting a shot uncomfortably is the same as forcing a shot down low that comes naturally; neither are well-advised.

I'm going to thank god that I didn't grow up in your household.

Hmmm true. Plus since I'm only 14 and 6'2 I have an advantage if I play on the wing. Plus not to sound cocky or anything but I'm pretty athletic and I can dunk the ball too.

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 11:32 PM
It might sound funny but try practicing your new "proper form" on a lowered hoop. This allows you to focus on the mechanics of the shot and still have the strength to see the results. Once you master it on a lower hoop, raise it up little by little until you are comfortable shooting it on a 10 ft regulation hoop

That's a good idea and I know where you're coming from but I don't have access to many lower-able hoops.

ayuntalo
04-12-2012, 12:00 AM

same here, this video series gets you back on the basic form thus eliminating bad habits

UPRock
04-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Hmmm true. Plus since I'm only 14 and 6'2 I have an advantage if I play on the wing. Plus not to sound cocky or anything but I'm pretty athletic and I can dunk the ball too.

You're tall as **** for your age o.o I'm 18 and only 5'8 xD.

ayuntalo
04-12-2012, 12:20 AM

after reading this here is a peace of advice that will help you a lot.
Play with an older brother/friend or father in a half court. learn how to shoot down low and mid range. this is the art that is always forgotten.
this is also the reason why Gerald Green didnt succeed on his young career.
also see Sam Casell, that will teach you a lot of fundamentals that you will need most