PDA

View Full Version : Wade asks for Olympic Pay; Retracts Statement

topdog
04-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Apparently, Ray Allen and Dwayne Wade are two Olympians looking to be compensated for their time dedicated to the Gold Medal cause:

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7801502/nba-olympians-compensated

What do you all think? Should members of Team USA recieve some sort of monetary compensation or is national pride enough as Lebron James alluded to?

topdog
04-11-2012, 04:11 PM
While I get that guys might face fatigue, I'm in the camp that says you choose to represent your country for national pride and a Gold Medal alone. Not to mention you can profit from Wheaties boxes and whatnot when you win that gold.

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm not opposed to them being payed, but i also think they should want to play for free.

Do other countries pay their players?

Avenged
04-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Don't agree w/ it really.

This is something you volunteer for if you have the talent to make it. You don't have to play.

sp1derm00
04-11-2012, 04:14 PM
i love lebron's comment here.

wade thinks college players should be compensated too?

WOW.

EYDI819
04-11-2012, 04:19 PM
I think his point was since they are selling their jersey (name) that he should be compensated for it. Kinda agree in that regard.

There was a boxer in the Philippines that got paid for participating in the Olympics back in 98 I think. It was more of a reward I guess because he only got paid after he won the Silver Medal.

turnaround3
Wade is a ****ing moron.

If you're on the USA Olympic basketball team, you've likely already got 100MM+ in your bank account. And if you don't you certainly aren't hurting for cash. Shut the **** up and go play. If you can't muster up enough pride to do so there are no shortage of American stars that will be willing to take your spot...for free.

LongIslandIcedZ
No way.

You make millions of dollars every year.

Shut up and represent your country against the rest of the world.

kdspurman
04-11-2012, 04:20 PM
For the first time, Lebron actually makes the most sense and said something where he didn't come off as full of himself. :clap:

Simple fellas, if you think you should get paid cause you can't rest? Don't play.

EYDI819
And about the college players being paid... I dont agree on that one. Maybe get paid when they sell jerseys but getting paid to play... Its a NO

Max.This
They all get paid enough.... Not a big Lebron fan but definitely respect what he said.

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 04:21 PM
wade helping bron out in the public eye;)

RaiderLakersA's
04-11-2012, 04:21 PM
It depends on where the proceeds from the sales of the Olympians jerseys, fan swag, etc., are going.

If the Olympic Committee retains the profits, then no, the "superstars" should not be paid. It flies in the face of the spirit of unity and equality that they are to project as representative Americans. The money should be used to fill the US Olympic organizations coffers as necessary. After all, basketball is just one sport being covered, but it is not the only one that costs money in order to host events and train athletes.

However, if Nike or Reebok or some other company is actually the ones profitting from the Olympic superstars, then yes, you pay the athletes their fair share.

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
It depends on where the proceeds from the sales of the Olympians jerseys, fan swag, etc., are going.

If the Olympic Committee retains the profits, then no, the "superstars" should not be paid. It flies in the face of the spirit of unity and equality that they are to project as representative Americans. The money should be used to fill the US Olympic organizations coffers as necessary. After all, basketball is just one sport being covered, but it is not the only one that costs money in order to host events and train athletes.

However, if Nike or Reebok or some other company is actually the ones profitting from the Olympic superstars, then yes, you pay the athletes their fair share.

good point

Heyyo1900
04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
They should not be paid. They can be given a stipend just like the other athletes. If they don't like it then they don't have to play. I think this is completely different then paying college athletes. Collegiate athletes should be given a higher stipend as they are working a full time job while attending college. I'm not talking $50-100k. I think $10k-15k would be overly generous (this would cover food as well). At the high end that is $41 a day. I don't think that is too much when you take food into the equation. Also, this should be for all sports, not just football and basketball.

shep33
04-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Meh, not a big issue... that being said, some countries barely pay (if at all) their athletes to compete. They just do it for pride and a sense of nationalism.

I understand what he's saying, but I wish he hadn't said it. It'll likely get blown up now. I think what Wade doesn't understand is that by going overseas to play ball in front of the world... your essentially making money. Your getting your brand out there to different continents.

I'm with Lebron on this one. Just play, it's a huge privlege to be on that team.

kdspurman
04-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Either D-Wade or Ray Allen must have an account on here. Only 1 vote for Yes thus far

Ezio
04-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Harden would gladly take their spot on the team ;)

faridk89
04-11-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm one of the two people who said they should get payed, my only argument against it is you shouldn't be asking for the money IF the Olympic organization is struggeling to pay athletes who are actually in need.

I know in Canada the snowboard team for example is under funded as hell! So in that case, suck it up and don't ask for money, but if the US Olympic committee or w.e is balling than go ahead and pay em

BK-TY
04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
I sort of agree with regard to collegiate sports. But the Olympics? Come on son. It's a matter of PRIDE in your country. No one is making him play. All he has to do is decline due to fatigue or whatever and they'll find someone else to replace him.

Their room and board and travel is paid for. What else do you need money for? 'Cause you think someone else is getting paid off of your efforts and you want to be compensated? The money made from the sale of "Team USA" items goes to the Olympic committee. The only companies "profitting" from the Olympics are the different arenas and complexes where the games are held, the restaurants and hotels housing the athletes and NBC.

It just makes you look like such a d!@% (rhymes with stick) being a multi millionaire athlete suggesting you should be paid for something as noble a tradition as the Olympics.

C-Wick925
04-11-2012, 04:47 PM
At this point they should pay Ray Allen to not play.. plz

Lake_Show2416
04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
wut a joke, have some national pride or r all those child support payments that bad? $110 mill contract isn't enough to live on these days, must be the inflation

Wade can easily replaced by someone willing to purely be a representative of the best sports nation in our best completing sport

Bruno
This is by far the least favorite thing i've ever read from Wade or Allen. Getting paid to represent your country? that is absurd and he should be ashamed for even bringing it up. he gets paid plenty. that's infuriating, imo. wade and allens priorities are up their own *****. shameful request. they should be cut.

loublue22
I guess they should get a cut of their own jersey sales, but that's it.

The Final Boss
04-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Then don't play. The squad can/will do just fine without his clown ***.

Bruno
04-11-2012, 04:55 PM
glad to see that 94% of PSD has a decent grasp on what patriotism and love for ones country is all about.

wade is on my ****-list for this.

mdm692
04-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Being called to the olympic team is a privilige and a recognition like making the hall of fame. How many people can claim "I was one of the top 15 american basketball players of my era."? Its insane how full of themselves some of these stars are. If you dont want the wear and tear you can just decline the INVITATION, like stoudemire was forced to do by the suns in 08. By the way lebron deserves and applause for his comment. You are receiving a much bigger payment than currency and that is pride, honor and the respect of an entire nation united as one to watch you be triumphant.

gotoHcarolina52
04-11-2012, 04:57 PM
I agree that if companies are profiting off of NBA players' likenesses, then the players should be compensated. But this comment upsets me:

"The biggest thing is now you get no rest," Wade said. "So you go to the end of the season, (Team USA) training camp is two weeks later. You're giving up a lot to do it. It's something you want to do. But it's taxing on your body. You're not playing for the dollar. But it would be nice if you would get compensated."

You should feel immensely honored and privileged to get that chance to work your *** off and represent your country abroad. If you'd rather be chilling somewhere else, then step down and let someone else take your place. There are plenty of NBA players who are more than willing to "giv[e] up a lot" to represent their country. It's a sacrifice, but it's something you should do with pleasure. If you don't see the value in that, step down.

mdm692
04-11-2012, 05:01 PM
This is by far the least favorite thing i've ever read from Wade or Allen. Getting paid to represent your country? that is absurd and he should be ashamed for even bringing it up. he gets paid plenty. that's infuriating, imo. wade and allens priorities are up their own *****. shameful request. they should be cut.

yup not like theyre needed the black mamba will carry their weight alongside james harden. maybe eric gordon but i want the roster to look something like this.

D-rose/westbrook/rondo/curry
Kobe/harden
Durant/melo/iggy/gay
Bron/k-love/alridge
Dwight/chandler

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 05:03 PM
wade is on that team people, he is a main reason they won in 2008, dont like his opininon, thats fine, but hes on the team

Bruno
04-11-2012, 05:03 PM
yup not like theyre needed the black mamba will carry their weight alongside james harden. maybe eric gordon but i want the roster to look something like this.

D-rose/westbrook/rondo/curry
Kobe/harden
Durant/melo/iggy/gay
Bron/k-love/alridge
Dwight/chandler

they could replace half the 2008 team and still win gold. harden could step in for Wade in a heart-beat.

AceMan
04-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Really? You don't make enough during the season? It's an honor to represent your country, if you don't want to do it for free there are plenty of people who do.

AnthonyTyrael
04-11-2012, 05:07 PM
If they pay them, they should donate it. All of it.

Bruno
04-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Wade is also an idiot for comparing this scenario to college kids not getting paid. damn fool.

Bruno
04-11-2012, 05:12 PM
wade is on that team people, he is a main reason they won in 2008, dont like his opininon, thats fine, but hes on the team

no he's not. it was about the team coming together. are you sure he'll play without a paycheck??

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 05:17 PM
no he's not. it was about the team coming together. are you sure he'll play without a paycheck??

Of course he will pay without a pay check. If he doesnt play its because he wants to rest. He will play.

torocan
04-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Wade and Allen can stuff it.

Countless Athletes spend their ENTIRE LIVES training endlessly, often on minimal stipends or their own dime just for the OPPORTUNITY to compete in the Olympics. The VAST majority never see a medal, wealth, endorsement deals, or great fame.

Olympians compete for the honor and pride of representing their countries and their sport.

Your country asks you to represent them in the Olympics, and you're asking about how much it pays? Sorry, but if that's too much trouble, then politely decline and let someone else step up. Otherwise shut the hell up and do your best.

Asking for money is an INSULT to the countless athletes from around the world who strive to be in the Olympics.

Dwade and Allen just moved several notches down my respect scale.

Bruno
04-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Of course he will pay without a pay check. If he doesnt play its because he wants to rest. He will play.

good.

there are plenty of 30 year olds who have chosen rest over going for the gold. wouldn't be surprised if he chose the rest, considering his fragility. i'd love him on the team, but not if he's *****ing about money and creating a distraction.

29$JerZ
04-11-2012, 05:23 PM
I agree that if companies are profiting off of NBA players' likenesses, then the players should be compensated. But this comment upsets me:

You should feel immensely honored and privileged to get that chance to work your *** off and represent your country abroad. If you'd rather be chilling somewhere else, then step down and let someone else take your place. There are plenty of NBA players who are more than willing to "giv[e] up a lot" to represent their country. It's a sacrifice, but it's something you should do with pleasure. If you don't see the value in that, step down.

Pretty much this.

It's not like they are being forced to play against their will.
I always thought playing for Team USA was a matter of pride and boosting your global image, not getting paid on the side for doing something that is supposedly an honor.

Good thing Wade said this and not LeBron. Would cause quite the storm.

Bruno
04-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Major Props to LBJ:

"I love representing my country, man," James said. "I've done it since 2004 and I'm looking forward to doing it in London. As far as (pay), I don't know, man. It doesn't matter. I'm happy to be a part of the team, to be selected again."

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7801502/nba-olympians-compensated

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Did everyone read the article, wade is basically saying he should get some money from his jersey sales...cant say i disagree. Its not like he's asking for a salary to play on the olympics, which i would be totally against.

Vinylman
04-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Did everyone read the article, wade is basically saying he should get some money from his jersey sales...cant say i disagree. Its not like he's asking for a salary to play on the olympics, which i would be totally against.

i am shocked you are defending a member of the Miami Heat :rolleyes:

Bruno
04-11-2012, 05:34 PM

he wants money for his olympic service. the reasons for justification shouldn't even matter. it's a matter of principal. it's his choice to participate, he could be replaced by several SGs (id imagine) who wouldn't request such a thing, who would be honored to represent their country for free (if you consider first class, all expenses paid for, travel to London, be treated like a king, free)

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 05:36 PM
:shrug: I just think he should get a % from his jersey sales.

Wether thats 0 dollars or 10,000

alexander_37
04-11-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm not opposed to them being payed, but i also think they should want to play for free.

Do other countries pay their players?

No it's against the rules.....

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 05:40 PM
No it's against the rules.....

Yea, US players should not get paid either, but i do think they should get a % of jersey sales, jersey money doesnt go through the olympic committee i dont think...

D1JM
04-11-2012, 05:41 PM
i am sure harden could and would want to take his spot.

BALLER R
04-11-2012, 05:42 PM

So would you be in favor of Nike/Reebok or whatever company sponsoring the Olympic team and players get a percentage of that profit. Then they would each get an equal share. I don't agree with wade but if they did get paid how and who should pay them?

torocan
04-11-2012, 05:42 PM

Where do you think all the money that Team USA gets goes? It's not like the US Olympic Committee pays dividends to shareholders.

Those dollars go to training facilities and programs, promotion of the various sports, stipends to athletes in the less glamorous sports like Track and Field. From the Team USA website...

Where Does The Money Go?
Approximately 80 percent of the USOC's operating budget goes directly to Athlete Support Programs. Below is an outline of some of the Athlete Support Programs offered by the USOC along with a brief description of each program:

Direct Athlete Support
Athletes who have demonstrated competitive excellence in important international competitions may be awarded Direct Athlete Support dollars, which includes tuition grants. The USOC Sport Performance Team works closely with the NGBs to determine how these dollars are allocated.

NGB Support Programs
The USOC aids NGBs by supporting services such as investing in state-of-the-art technology, specialized coaching and providing additional training camps and competitions.

Operation Gold
Operation Gold Awards are designed to reward athletes for top place finishes in a sport's most competitive international competition of the year. The award amount varies from $1,000 - $25,000 depending on the year, the athlete's finish at the Operation Gold competition and whether the athlete competes in a sport/discipline/event on the Olympic or Paralympic Games program or on the Pan American Games program. Additionally, in non-Olympic and Paralympic years, athletes who qualify for more than one award automatically receive the higher award. At the Olympic and Paralympic Games, athletes are paid Operation Gold for multiple medal performances.

Elite Athlete Health Insurance (EAHI)
Each NGB receives, from the USOC, EAHI slots to distribute to elite athletes. Distribution of these EAHI slots is based on criteria that have been developed by the NGB and approved by the USOC.

Tuition Grants
Tuition grants are intended to help defray a portion of an athlete's tuition costs, and in doing so, encourage athletes to further their formal education in preparation for lifelong career goals. Grant amounts range from less than $500 to a maximum of $5,000 depending on athlete performance history and availability of funds for the grant. Approximately $70,000 is dedicated to this program annually.

Those Jersey Sales go to the current and next generation of Olympic Athletes, the ones who DON'T get elite training facilities from their teams, who DON'T make millions upon millions of dollars.

Gymnasts and ice skaters, sprinters and long jumpers, swimmers and divers, equestrians and soccer players.

That Allen and Wade would even ask for a dime of that money is disgusting and greedy.

nycsports2
04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
smh

alexander_37
04-11-2012, 05:48 PM
It is supposed to be the best amateur athletes in the world. There shouldn't even be professional athletes allowed. They only did that to boost ratings. They need to keep SOME integrity. I hardly think the professional basketball players are most hard off of the athletes in any event.

Bruno
04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Where do you think all the money that Team USA gets goes? It's not like the US Olympic Committee pays dividends to shareholders.

Those dollars go to training facilities and programs, promotion of the various sports, stipends to athletes in the less glamorous sports like Track and Field. From the Team USA website...

Those Jersey Sales go to the current and next generation of Olympic Athletes, the ones who DON'T get elite training facilities from their teams, who DON'T make millions upon millions of dollars.

Gymnasts and ice skaters, sprinters and long jumpers, swimmers and divers, equestrians and soccer players.

That Allen and Wade would even ask for a dime of that money is disgusting and greedy.

thanks for posting that. wade (multi-millionaire) requesting money for himself takes away from funding for athletes who are less well off. you know, those who play for pride, and not the paycheck. i'm sure wade didn't bother to look into that reality before making such a foolish request.

Teeboy1487
04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Wade makes millions of dollars and yet he wants to be payed to serve his country? His payment is honor and pride. The men and women who serve this country in the military are not asking for payment. What a disgrace. Where is his patriotism?

Bruno
04-11-2012, 05:51 PM
It is supposed to be the best amateur athletes in the world. There shouldn't even be professional athletes allowed. They only did that to boost ratings. They need to keep SOME integrity. I hardly think the professional basketball players are most hard off of the athletes in any event.

same reason why all our biggest rivals are all buddy-buddy. none of the nabs biggest rivals were buddy buddy before the pros were allowed into the olympics.

Bruno
04-11-2012, 05:52 PM
i can't wait till the talking heads rip into wade. i'm curious who the devils advocate will be.

LRizzle
04-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Probably being a little biased, but let's be clear he never said he wouldn't play or demanded to be paid, just said that they should be compensated some X amount.

I also think he didn't exactly carefully think about this, because as someone else pointed out, by playing well in the Olympics you're absolutely boosting your image and creating opportunities for getting a foreign sponsor or filming a whacky million dollar soda commercial in Japan and getting a following in China and Europe. Who knows.
But if some huge company like Nike is profiting off of jersey sales and memorabilia, then it should definitely be pooled together and split evenly with the team or given to charity or maybe help fund another sport that's lacking financial support, etc.

I do think he'll play and I'm sure once he talks it over with others, he'll give a more 'patriotic' response. Let's hope so because I love him and I feel like he always says the right things which is rare for an athlete.

Ebbs
04-11-2012, 05:54 PM
They should not be "paid" but they shopuld be pampered. All expenses paid on the trips etc. .. Travel, food, accomodations etc. . .

Venomous88
04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I think Wade is really trying to outdo LeBron for the least liked Heat player. My respect for him has been at an all time low with the sense of entitlement he shown on and off the court.

Bruno
04-11-2012, 05:58 PM
:shrug: I just think he should get a % from his jersey sales.

Wether thats 0 dollars or 10,000

Every American participant gets 25,000 for golds, 15,000 for silver, and 10,000 for bronze. They already get paid well beyond your modest request of 1-10,000 in jersey sales. I guess 25,000 is monopoly money for wade. this is so beyond #firstworldproblems, it's not even funny.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/04/ray-allen-players-should-be-paid-to-take-part-in-the-olympics/

Sadds The Gr8
04-11-2012, 05:59 PM
What a greeedy *** piece of ****. Then don't play moron.

Bruno
04-11-2012, 05:59 PM
...as if a medallion plated in gold wasn't enough. :laugh2:

torocan
04-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Probably being a little biased, but let's be clear he never said he wouldn't play or demanded to be paid, just said that they should be compensated some X amount.

I also think he didn't exactly carefully think about this, because as someone else pointed out, by playing well in the Olympics you're absolutely boosting your image and creating opportunities for getting a foreign sponsor or filming a whacky million dollar soda commercial in Japan and getting a following in China and Europe. Who knows.
But if some huge company like Nike is profiting off of jersey sales and memorabilia, then it should definitely be pooled together and split evenly with the team or given to charity or maybe help fund another sport that's lacking financial support, etc.

I do think he'll play and I'm sure once he talks it over with others, he'll give a more 'patriotic' response. Let's hope so because I love him and I feel like he always says the right things which is rare for an athlete.

Companies like Nike strike sponsorship deals with the Olympics. For example, to be an official Sponsor of Team USA, they typically commit $4-5m to the US Olympic Committee per year.

In exchange, they're allowed to use the logo in their promotional material and merchandise. Some companies can profit directly through sales of merchandise, others have a much harder time doing so.

In recent years, the hard economy has made it more difficult for those companies to justify those sponsorship. The ability to sell items offsets the cost of the sponsorships, but making money as a sponsor is not a guaranteed proposition. As such, they've had a harder time during bad times signing sponsors to support the Olympic team.

From a 2009 article in the NY Times...

The U.S.O.C., one of the few national Olympic committees that does not receive any direct government money, is still financially stable and will be so in the foreseeable future, Jim Scherr, its chief executive, said in a telephone interview on Friday....

Still, like most every other sports entity, the U.S.O.C. has been grappling to keep its sponsors, which account for 45 percent of its $150 million average annual budget. Another 15 percent comes from private donors, who are also likely to give less during a recession....

“Yes, we’re having a bit of tough times these days, but smart companies know this investment is not just for ’09,” he said. “I think companies are planning for a better economy in ’10, ’11 and ’12, when these sponsorships will still be in place.

“This also might be a perfect chance for companies to jump into sponsorships, when other companies might be too financially weak to do so.”

...Smith, who spends about $30,000 to $50,000 annually on training and expenses, said she wondered if the U.S.O.C.’s immediate help would be enough. With the Olympic trials for speedskating less than a year away, she is concerned that she will not find a job with hours as flexible as the ones she has working at a Home Depot near U.S. Speedskating’s training center in Kearns, Utah.

“When I first heard, I was nervous and scared and a lot of emotions went through me,” said Smith, whose father, Richard, delivers car parts outside of Dearborn, Mich., and whose mother, Reina, cuts hair. “I really don’t want this situation to put a damper on things and start taking a toll on my training.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/sports/olympics/12olympics.html?pagewanted=all

You make the sponsorships less financially attractive, and the ones who pay will always be the athletes.

TheWhiteMamba
04-11-2012, 06:06 PM
No way.

:clap:

The goods
04-11-2012, 06:08 PM
I may sound old school but I didn't see MJ,magic.bird.or barkely asking to get paid. Wow the times we live in everybody looks out for themselves how about defending your country in a simple basketball game ,their are people defending this country with their lives,the least you can do is play a damn game.

SteveNash
04-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Bitter fans whining about athletes making more money than them again.

Olympics are a joke, the false sense of nationalism is hilarious. Get your panties in a bunch over something worthwhile.

bomber0104
04-11-2012, 06:12 PM
This is ridiculous...

Olympians from all over the world get compensated by their countries for winning medals but those guys aren't usually making millions of dollars from their contracts..

Wade should be ashamed of himself

boogie-reke
Collage players should be too.

The goods
They get paid for everything they do I mean they get paid a million dollars for posing in front of a camera,they should want to do something for free for a change,not to mention its for a great cause.

VillaMaravilla
04-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Awww they gotta spend their summers in europe boohooo, these guys are amazing! now they want to get paid to represent their country in a freaking game if anyone should get really paid is all the American soldiers who defend this country for peanuts so people like Wade can make all those millions playing a game this is so disrespectful

Bruno
04-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Bitter fans whining about athletes making more money than them again.

get real.

Olympics are a joke, the false sense of nationalism is hilarious. Get your panties in a bunch over something worthwhile.

care to expand on this nonsense?

Gibby
04-11-2012, 06:37 PM
I am pretty sure other Olympians get money from their nations. Even most american athletes get rewards for winning medals. but i dont think it should matter for basketball players. Since what ever they get, will be peanuts compared to their nba salary.

jammastershake
04-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Wade is a piece of ****. He is getting paid, room and board, food, swag, money for winning, and most importantly a chance to represent your country on the biggest stage in the world.

Btw Dwyane Wade's net worth: $65 million

**** him!

turnaround3
04-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Just look at the ****ing poll. There is no debate to be had here.

Iron24th
04-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Wade and Allen :facepalm:

Rndy
04-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Where is that money going? It's hard to comment on something that has such little information available.

You should be honored to play for your country. However if that money is going to some rich old dude then you should get some money. I'd hope that money goes to the Olympics or a charity of some sort.

SpaceJamJordans
04-11-2012, 07:01 PM
He's a money hungry douchebag

mjt20mik
04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Lebron has always been a very patriotic dude, and for the most part has done a lot of good. But yeah, it's an honor to represent your country. If you want compensation, gtfo. I mean c'mon Dwayne, your not even going to be starting with Kobe on that team.

Lake_Show2416
04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Child Support!

njnets
04-11-2012, 07:05 PM
if they are not benefitting from their jersey sales and thats what he wants, than yea, i agree with it. if the money from that goes to charity or something of that sort, than im against him getting paid.

if he wants to be paid because of his participation, then no, i disagree.

overall, have some pride wade and allen. you makes millions playing the game you love. its not like you NEED the money or you'll starve.

Raph12
04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
It's an honor to be selected to play for your country, if you don't want to play without getting paid, there are many more guys willing to take your place.

NYY 26 to 7
04-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Man I'm all for guys leaving teams for as much money as they can get and using all their leverage to make as much as they can in the market but WOW. The Olympics should be an honor not a duty so please don't play if you aren't playing just to represent the US. I appreciate what LeBron said and I know Kobe in the past has talked about how much it means as have many many other playerswho have had the honor. Come on some things should be about more than money.

HoodedSB
04-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Hell no. The honor should be sufficient.

Matrix3132
04-11-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm willing to bet that there are good nba players that make a lot less money than wade or allen that would PAY to have the opportunity to make the olympic team.

Meanwhile, olympic athletes for other sports who receive no glory, fame, or money are trying to juggle working at home depot while training...

FraziersKnicks
04-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Wade is a ****ing moron.

If you're on the USA Olympic basketball team, you've likely already got 100MM+ in your bank account. And if you don't you certainly aren't hurting for cash. Shut the **** up and go play. If you can't muster up enough pride to do so there are no shortage of American stars that will be willing to take your spot...for free.

Exactly.

Asking to be paid to play for your country, is ridiculous.. The sense of pride should be enough. And if you're good enough to play, you'll definitely be raking in the $$$ in the league.

xILLN355
04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
if wades so worried about getting paid he should find a summer job instead of participating in the olympics

k.smith904
04-11-2012, 08:07 PM
nothing wade does make me like the guy.

northsider
04-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Thought Lebrons comments about the issue were damn on point and respectable.

+1 Lebron -1 Wade.

Tmath
04-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Greedy

Raps08-09 Champ
04-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I guess he's not playing this year then.

blahblahyoutoo
04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
sorry wade, country comes way before team and you couldn't be more wrong.

Eg714
04-11-2012, 08:34 PM
I dislike wade more and more every time theres a story about him. I just can't like a guy like wade. He's money hungry and comes off as a horrible person.

BKLYNpigeon
04-11-2012, 08:35 PM
it can go either way..

I think the players of the olympics deserve compensation. but how do you determine how much a basketball player makes as opposed to the diver?

Yes, its an honor to play in the Olympics and rep your country. The USA Olympic committee makes HUNDREDS of Millions of dollars in endorsements. where does that money go? think about it...

The Owners and Teams should be making money because they are taking all the risk. The olympics are basically borrowing the services of Wade while he is under contract with the Heat. if he gets injured, the olympics dont foot the bill.

Owners are getting ripped off.

jiggin
04-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Just shows why they play the game. Its not about the love of the game. Or in this case the opportunity to represent your country...its about the money and always will with these guys.

I never want to hear them cry anything else...their true colors show...

C_Mund
04-11-2012, 08:52 PM

That's as far as it should go, if at all. The chances are that Nike/Reebok/Adidas/Speedo/whatever pays money to support Olympic athletes, who don't usually make much money diving or playing badminton. Maybe Wade should look for grants and bursaries to fund his own training then see how brutal it would look for somebody else who makes eight figures annually to ask for money.
...also, the Olympics are meant to be a competition of amateur sports. I still don't entirely understand how professional bball and soccer players ended up competing

C_Mund
04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
it can go either way..

I think the players of the olympics deserve compensation. but how do you determine how much a basketball player makes as opposed to the diver?

Yes, its an honor to play in the Olympics and rep your country. The USA Olympic committee makes HUNDREDS of Millions of dollars in endorsements. where does that money go? think about it...

The Owners and Teams should be making money because they are taking all the risk. The olympics are basically borrowing the services of Wade while he is under contract with the Heat. if he gets injured, the olympics dont foot the bill.

Owners are getting ripped off.

I'm pretty sure that players are insured by their professional team so they get compensated if injured, a'la Garbajosa with the Raptors. He wanted to play for Spain when he was less than healthy and he came back to the Raps a shell of his former self so they cut him and billed the rest of his salary and (I think) some kind of monetary compensation for the loss.
....I'm not sure if it was as cut and dry as that, but you can bet that a team like the Heat with three players on the national team would look for some kind of a fallback plan

blahblahyoutoo
04-11-2012, 08:56 PM
They should not be "paid" but they shopuld be pampered. All expenses paid on the trips etc. .. Travel, food, accomodations etc. . .

uhhh.. no.

xbrackattackx
04-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Have some pride in your country. This is pathetic.

stawka
04-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Wade is a ****ing idiot

Shmontaine
04-11-2012, 09:23 PM
it's voluntary... stay home if you don't want to represent the USA... the team doesn't need dwade or allen on it anyway...

pd7631
04-11-2012, 09:32 PM
A.I. gets it right: It's an honor to be here
By Adrian Wojnarowski
Special to ESPN.com

ATHENS, Greece -- All those things the public struggles to see beyond -- the tattoos, the cornrows, crooked baseball caps -- could no longer be the excuse for missing out on his finest hour. These Olympic Games were the best of Allen Iverson, a performance people never wanted to believe possible for him. Maybe it was true he was once the unwilling pupil of Larry Brown, but his old 76ers coach should've been studying the lessons Iverson taught on selflessness and accountability in these games.

The most telling moment of all was in the minutes after the United States' loss to Argentina in the semifinals, when the possibility for gold and glory were gone. When the coach stayed on his self-serving course of blaming USA Basketball, his players and the officials, Iverson stayed with his message in these games: It was an honor to represent his country, and his team had an immense obligation to treat the bronze medal game as though it was playing for gold.

When Brown had come to give a concession speech for the Olympics, Iverson delivered a public pep talk to his teammates for the eventual 104-96 victory over Lithuania.

"If you don't get it done the way you expected to," Iverson said, "I think it's important that you get it done the best way you can. It's important that we come out and fight, and get the people proud of us back home."

Nobody conducted himself better, nor behaved like a better representative of this basketball team than he did in the games. Maybe everyone believed Iverson needed to bring back a gold medal to use the Olympics to rehabilitate his image. They were wrong. There was far more virtue in defeat than victory here. America found out much more about Iverson without him winning the gold, than it ever would've with him winning it.
"It's an honor to be named to this team," Iverson said. "It's something that you should cherish for the rest of your life. And honestly, this is something that I will cherish even without winning a gold medal. I feel like a special basketball player to make it to a team like this."

When the United States needed a standup spokesman in these games, it was co-captain Iverson taking the tough questions for as long as people needed him, not co-captain Tim Duncan. He was never afraid to make himself front and center, even when the public unjustly wanted to make him the embodiment for the reasons they didn't like this team, and even rooted against it. They should've been here. They should've watched Iverson play, and listened to him talk, and understood his desire to represent the United States far exceeded his need for self-preservation. He was willing to expose himself to the hits, the way no one else did here.

Iverson was the co-captain of the United States Olympic team and understood the selfish and self-defeating consequences for constantly tearing this team down, the way Brown did, instead of trying to find a way to make this work. Everyone else had done enough analyzing of the flaws in the USA Basketball system, but there was a responsibility the coach and the captains had to deliver direction to this impossibly young team. What good did it do for the players to constantly hear Brown telling the world they didn't have enough time to prepare for the games, except to give those fragile psyches excuses for losing?

"We had to understand from the first day that was the amount of time we had to prepare," Iverson said. "Was it enough of time? I don't know. But we knew we had to get it done in that time.

"And that's not any excuse we could use."

When NBA commissioner David Stern had a chance to talk with reporters in Athens, he had two clear agendas: make sure people understood he loved the way his players handled themselves and make sure he let them know Brown had disappointed him. Brown never stopped doing it, and Iverson never started. Iverson had come to represent the United States, and representing it meant honoring his responsibilities to the end. It didn't mean trying to distance yourself from responsibility and blame, to protect your own legacy and reputation.

"Sometimes the historical ways to motivate a team don't necessarily play out quite as well when you're in an international setting," Stern said. "This was a team that was put together, by everyone, including the coaching staff. So, I don't buy the well, 'I'd like to have this, I'd like to have that.'
"It's not about who didn't come. You take your team to the gym and you play with what you got and then you either win or lose. This whining and this carping is not fair to [those] who are representing their country admirably and well."

On his way home, Iverson started recruiting teammates for 2008. He wants to come back again. He had the time of his life wearing the red, white and blue, and just hopes the United States will give itself its best chance for gold medal in Beijing.

"For as anybody who grew up in the U.S., and was able to be a basketball player in the NBA, you understand the things that your country has done for you and your family," he said. "It gave you an opportunity to be able to support your family and be recognized as a household name. It was just an honor to be able to do something like that, and I would advise anybody selected to a team like this to take that honor and cherish it.
"It shouldn't be a question in your mind. When you get a chance to represent your country, what's better than that?"

Maybe it's time everyone understands that even not winning a gold medal is better than that. And most of all, maybe it's time everyone takes a moment and looks past the cornrows and tattoos and bronze medal -- all the things they swore they never wanted to see on an Olympic basketball player -- and see what they believed they always did: one hell of a proud American.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer04/basketball/columns/story?id=1870490

xxcubs22xx
04-11-2012, 10:03 PM
I dislike wade more and more every time theres a story about him. I just can't like a guy like wade. He's money hungry and comes off as a horrible person.

This.

Wade is being a *****. If it's that intolerable then get off the team and let some other SG take your place.

No compensation. You play for your country, not more money on top of the mounds that you already make.

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 10:43 PM
wade
I responded 2 a specific question asked by a reporter on my thoughts of Olympians being paid. I never asked to be paid to PLAY.

What I was referencing is there is a lot of Olympic business that happens that athletes are not a part of - and it’s a complicated issue.

Basically all you guys talking ****, dont know what really goes on, none of us do. Anyone thinking wade wouldn't play in the olympics unless he was paid is plain ignorant.

...stood proudly to receive our gold medal in 2008 in Beijing. It’s always been an honor for me to be a part of the USA Olympic family...

...and I’m looking forward to doing it again in London this summer.

HesterTrain
04-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Why does he have to know the business side of the Olympics? How many years has this been going on and now all of a sudden he want's to be compensated? You represent your country, not the NBA. You know how it works year in and year out, just shut your mouth and deal with the great opportunity you are given to represent your damn country. Need money out of it? Sell your damn gold medal.

sunsfan88
04-11-2012, 10:57 PM
No. This is a pride thing. And the fact that Wade and Allen (two classy players) are the ones demanding this is very interesting.

Our US Team will STILL dominate every other country even without Wade. Hell if if our Olympics team was only made of the best college players in America, I think we would still win gold.

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Yea, becuase a guy worth 50+mil needs money:facepalm: He was asked a question, who knows what it was, most liely someone told him what allen said and wade could have said yea, i wouldn't mind getting paid for the olympics, but if you think wade needs money your fooling yourself. he took less than max:eyebrow:

AsfanSince99
04-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Hey Wade, you don't have to play for your country. It's on a voluntary bases.

You are paid with pride, taking home the gold medal, and lots of endorsements that come with being in the global spotlight.

xxcubs22xx
04-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Yea, becuase a guy worth 50+mil needs money:facepalm: He was asked a question, who knows what it was, most liely someone told him what allen said and wade could have said yea, i wouldn't mind getting paid for the olympics, but if you think wade needs money your fooling yourself. he took less than max:eyebrow:

Well EXCUUUUUSE me

:)

Maybe he is in financial trouble? Some people didn't expect Allen Iverson to be broke :shrug:

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 11:02 PM
michael wallace
Wade takes to twitter to clarify Olympic pay comments. He was clear 1st time. Never asked 2b paid, but answered ? on should players be paid.

I was there for interview and did ESPN story and video take on it. Never got impression Wade was being unpatriotic or selfish.

I took his point as someone will make $$ off team usa's exposure/merchandise. He felt it wouldn't be bad if players got a cut.

LMFAO to people thinking wade is in financial trouble, haven't been doing :facepalm: lately, but in this instance, the ignorance being displayed in this thread is well worth one

gotoHcarolina52
04-11-2012, 11:07 PM
I love Wade and the HEAT about as much as anyone, but Wade's constant *****ing (whether to the media or to referees) is getting to me. Just STFU and win games.

Cubby
04-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I love Wade and the HEAT about as much as anyone, but Wade's constant *****ing (whether to the media or to referees) is getting to me. Just STFU and win games.

Never thought I'd hear you say that. :p

But anyways, I don't really know the context of what he said. Apparently he was answering a question, but like others have said, he doesn't have to play. He's not signed to a contract. It is completely voluntary and I'd assume he'd get enough money from global exposure and advertisements. Hell, he makes enough over here in the NBA.

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Wade's whole point was there are companies/businesses that make money off the players, whether its through branding, licensing, merchandise, what not...wade just said he thought players should get some of that money...thats not unreasonable to ask. He's not saying "i need you to pay me for my services".

I understand why people getting mad at wade but i think its being taken out of context. We probably wont know all the facts, as we as fans usually dont, but wade is a good guy even if some dont want to think he is. And to the jack *** that said he would sell his kids or some ******** comment along those lines; do a little research on what he did for his kids...

Also, your right on goto...he *****es way to much to the refs, but he toned that down in the playoffs last year and i hope he does it again. No excuse for him to not get back on D, ever.

NY007
04-11-2012, 11:34 PM
What a bunch of douche bags, don't these ****ers make enough money. You should be happy enough to be asked to represent your country.

**** em, we'll win gold with out them.

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 11:35 PM
What a bunch of douche bags, don't these ****ers make enough money. You should be happy enough to be asked to represent your country.

**** em, we'll win gold with out them.

Nah, we will win it with him, and he will beast again just like in 08

wade
...and I’m looking forward to doing it again in London this summer.

Cubby
04-11-2012, 11:36 PM
I guess I took it out of context then.

Honestly though, I like what LeBron said... time to wash my mouth out with soap. jk

QueensG
04-11-2012, 11:43 PM
How many millions does Wade need? Wow..****ing greedy...there's kids all over the world dieing of starvation and this fool is crying over pennies..hope you tear both acls you ****ing clown dwade

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 11:47 PM
How many millions does Wade need? Wow..****ing greedy...there's kids all over the world dieing of starvation and this fool is crying over pennies..hope you tear both acls you ****ing clown dwade

stay classy

QueensG
04-11-2012, 11:54 PM

stay classy

Why should I when Wade is classless

QueensG
04-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Ray Allen's geriatric *** too...he's made a lot of.money over the years..when is enough enough for these greedy clowns...smh..a knick would never do that

justinnum1
04-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Why should I when Wade is classless

oh, do tell

a knick would never do that?:laugh2:

THE MTL
04-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Isnt there prize money involved in the Olympics for the athletes? Seriously, all those ratings worldwide and tickets sales. Where does the money go then?

THE MTL
04-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Isnt there prize money involved in the Olympics for the athletes? Seriously, all those ratings worldwide and tickets sales. Where does the money go then?

Just looked it up. Each country gives players a medal bonus while the country/sponsors pay for player's expenses.

Its a fair deal i suppose.

Cubby
04-12-2012, 12:08 AM
How are you gonna call out Ray Allen like that? He is one of the classiest players in the league.

ThadOchocinco
04-12-2012, 12:09 AM
USA Basketball already pays for everything else. Not only that, the USA Basketball team never stays in the Olympic Village; they get to stay in hotels. They are fed, clothed, provided transportation to and within a foreign country, given a stipend, and all they have to do is show up and play basketball. Yet, that somehow isn't good enough for a MILLIONAIRE.

A percentage of jersey sales is one thing, because the name on the back is what's moving the product, but getting paid to participate? Whatever. This isn't college athletics, where the colleges are profiting off the talents of players. Where coaches make millions to coach broke players (wink, wink). USA Basketball doesn't appear to be that kind of organization. As best I can tell, the money just goes back into the Olympic team.

How about this: Let ME join the Olympic team. I PROMISE you, I won't ask to get paid. I also won't contribute anything resembling athleticism, and I'll probably hurt the team more than help it. BUT I'LL DO IT FOR FREE.

C_Mund
04-12-2012, 12:25 AM
I just don't feel it, even if it was taken out of context. Why can't you just say "We don't really need the money, it's an honor to play?" Why do you need some kid who grows up watching and idolizing you enough to put a jersey with your country's colors and your name on his back PAYING you for the right? Be a team player and let the proceeds go back to other Olympic training programs for people that spend their lives hustling but don't have anything material to show for it

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 12:26 AM
USA Basketball already pays for everything else. Not only that, the USA Basketball team never stays in the Olympic Village; they get to stay in hotels. They are fed, clothed, provided transportation to and within a foreign country, given a stipend, and all they have to do is show up and play basketball. Yet, that somehow isn't good enough for a MILLIONAIRE.

A percentage of jersey sales is one thing, because the name on the back is what's moving the product, but getting paid to participate? Whatever. This isn't college athletics, where the colleges are profiting off the talents of players. Where coaches make millions to coach broke players (wink, wink). USA Basketball doesn't appear to be that kind of organization. As best I can tell, the money just goes back into the Olympic team.

How about this: Let ME join the Olympic team. I PROMISE you, I won't ask to get paid. I also won't contribute anything resembling athleticism, and I'll probably hurt the team more than help it. BUT I'LL DO IT FOR FREE.

Thats all wade suggested, to think he asked for money for his services is plain wrong. All he mentioned was the revenue from merchandise(jerseys); players should get a % of it. Nothing about needing money to play.

D1JM
04-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Thats all wade suggested, to think he asked for money for his services is plain wrong. All he mentioned was the revenue from merchandise(jerseys); players should get a % of it. Nothing about needing money to play.

but its already costing team usa to put wade in a top notch hotel with service while he is playing. if it was coming out of his pocket than i can understand.

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 12:31 AM
but its already costing team usa to put wade in a top notch hotel with service while he is playing. if it was coming out of his pocket than i can understand.

Those costs could be 1% of the merchandise revenue they receive it could be 10%, 25%...we dont know... thats what im saying. they could be making a **** load of money and we wouldnt know. But i bet wade knows better than the fans here on PSD.

torocan
04-12-2012, 12:40 AM
From USA Today...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/story/2012-04-11/Jerry-Colangelo-Why-NBA-Olympians-are-not-paid/54191718/1

Colangelo explains why NBA players are not paid as Olympians
By Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo delivered a calm, measured, multi-pronged rebuttal to NBA players who believe they should be paid for playing for Team USA in the Olympics.

After learning that Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade and Boston Celtics guard Ray Allen believed players deserve compensation for playing in the Olympics, Colangelo told USA TODAY Sports why players are not paid.

Colangelo prefaced his comments with a disclaimer: He respects opinions, and he did not know the circumstances in which Wade and Allen offered their thoughts.

At the heart of the matter, Colangelo said there is no extra money.

"All of the money that is generated from our participation and the competitions the senior teams participate in in effect subsidizes and pays for the entire U.S. Olympic (basketball) programs and that includes all of the junior programs where most of these players came from," Colangelo said. "Most of them all started there, men and women."

Colangelo took over as chairman of USA Basketball in 2005 following a substandard bronze-medal performance by the men's team at the 2004 Athens Olympics. Not only did the team need direction with management, coaching and player selection, it needed financial help.

"When I took over the program in 2005, they were in a terrible losing situation financially," Colangelo said. "During the next four years, I quadrupled the revenue, but that only brought us to break even. That covers all of the expenses for the men, women, boys and girls, all the way down. We sell sponsorship, sell tickets to exhibition games."

In the process of providing direction, the men's team won gold at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and is the favorite to win gold at this summer's London Olympics.

Colangelo, who will meet with Team USA's coaching staff — head coach Mike Krzyzewski and assistants Mike D'Antoni, Nate McMillan and Jim Boeheim— in early May, also said Team USA players derive tangible and immeasurable benefits from participating.

"Another reality is, most of the players, and in fact until this comment today, I would have said 100% of them, understand that there's some great value to them individually for participating if they so choose to," Colangelo said.

He rattled off those advantages which possibly include financial gains through endorsements.

"The opportunity to represent your country is a privilege without anything further said, that's No. 1," Colangelo said. "No. 2, the experience broadens individuals in every regard and every respect because you experience things you would not have under any other circumstance — the travel, the people you meet.

"Thirdly, the brand. We will live in a global economy. All of our players have shoe contracts and apparel contracts and they're little mini-business onto themselves and in some cases, they're not mini-businesses, they're quite substantial.

"Participation is a privilege that gives their brands a great impetus and most of them really, truly understand that."

As for Dwyade's excuse that he's talking outside business from the Olympics, there is no such thing.

All business associated directly with the Olympics either on-site or through merchandising is done so under direct licensing with the Olympic committees. That license includes the right to use the Logo's of the Olympics, content associated with the Olympics, or the sales of products affiliated with the Olympics, or at Olympic venues.

Those Sponsors and outside businesses are NOT allowed to sub-license, or merchandise outside of the defined agreements, that includes the use of things such as the trademark Olympic Rings, the TeamUSA logo, etc, etc.

Any business that's legitimately affiliated with the Olympics can NOT do a side deal with any athlete to market/merchandise products that include the Olympic or TeamUSA logo's or trademarks.

If they want to do a seperate shirt side deal for Dwyane or Ray Allen, it's seperate from anything to do from the business generated with the Olympics. They can make a Dwyane shirt, but it can't be an Olympic Dwyane shirt and would just be a normal licensed product or endorsement. Those sorts of merchandising agreements are already worked out with the Olympic committees in advance, and any royalties associated with that merchandising are earmarked directly for the relevant entities (IOC, TeamUSA, etc).

NBA players who choose to play in the Olympics already benefit outside of the Olympics from associated sponsorship and endorsement deals before and after the Olympics, as well as from the increasing of international brand awareness.

That Dwyane would talk about being paid from any of the "side" businesses associated with the Olympics either shows an incredible level of ignorance (doubtful considering he seems very financially savvy), or more likely the belief that NBA players should get a side deal negotiated with the Olympic committees that goes far beyond what other athletes get (far more likely).

Translation :

His twitter posts don't mean crap. Whether he plays in the Olympics for free or not, he made clear he believes he deserves monetary reward.

If he wants more money, he shouldn't even be talking about the Olympics. He should either do his summer camps, or work out his own sponsorship deals aside from the Olympics, using his Olympic participation as a negotiation point for higher endorsement value.

Him asking for a "cut" just adds costs to those Olympic marketing and sponsorship deals. Where do you think his share of his "cut" would come from? I guarantee it won't be out of the sponsoring companies' pockets. It will be the other athletes.

cutiepie80
04-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Wait wait wait, Dwayne Wade is being a greedy jerk? Wait, Lebron is being civil. Well, that's about right. Wade is the true jerk of that team and I am sick that Lebron always receives it.

How disgusting does Wade make himself look? Can you imagine Bird, Malone, Barkley, Jordan worried about money after they won the olympic gold?

Disgusted.

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 01:02 AM
wade
"I’m reading a lot of reports coming out about my comments re: the Olympics and compensation. And I want to clear this up personally...I responded 2 a specific question asked by a reporter on my thoughts of Olympians being paid. I never asked to be paid to PLAY. What I was referencing is there is a lot of Olympic business that happens that athletes are not a part of. It’s a complicated issue. BUT my love 4 the game & pride 4 USA motivates me more than any dollar amount. I repped my country in 2004 when we won the silver medal and stood proudly to receive our gold medal in 2008 in Beijing. It’s always been an honor for me to be a part of the USA Olympic family & I’m looking forward to doing it again in London this summer."

Continue...

Killerjug
04-12-2012, 01:04 AM
absolutely no reason for them to be paid idk if that was his intent or not but representing your country should be plenty

cutiepie80
04-12-2012, 01:08 AM
I have said all along not Bosh, not LBJ, not Riley.....it's Wade that is the true selfish jerk of this organization. I did not think this in his earlier days but he is by far the most pompous individual in the league and it's hard to even appreciate his skills. He just gets worse by the minute in my eyes with his cockiness.

Knicks21
04-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Going to be awkward with D'antoni and Melo on the same team.

kblo247
04-12-2012, 01:20 AM
I would kill him for saying it normally but yeah they need an incentive after this condensed season which has piled injuries and fatigue up on bodies

C_Mund
04-12-2012, 01:29 AM
I dunno. If he actually feels that way then that's his prerogative. I understand that he was just answering a question and it DID get taken out of context, but the fact that the first thing that came to his mind was a PR nightmare just describes the kind of person he is. No humility whatsoever.

C_Mund
04-12-2012, 01:30 AM
....and I'm sure that the CEO's of McDonald's and Walmart would say the same thing as Wade. Successful and within their rights? Yup. Likeable? Not in my books

naps
04-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Wade didn't ask getting paid for himself. The following is straight from his facebook:

I’m reading a lot of reports coming out about my comments re: the Olympics and compensation. And I want to clear this up personally...I responded 2 a specific question asked by a reporter on my thoughts of Olympians being paid. I never asked to be paid to PLAY. What I was referencing is there is a lot of Olympic business that happens that athletes are not a part of. It’s a complicated issue. BUT my love 4 the game & pride 4 USA motivates me more than any dollar amount. I repped my country in 2004 when we won the silver medal and stood proudly to receive our gold medal in 2008 in Beijing. It’s always been an honor for me to be a part of the USA Olympic family & I’m looking forward to doing it again in London this summer.

But of course haters will twist the **** out of it and drag this thread to 15+ pages.

FrenchSunsFan
04-12-2012, 06:59 AM
The American basketball team make sell some merchandising so were go this money ?
If Allen and Wade wants to be paid and give the money to associations where is the problem .

PHX2daDEATH
04-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Hey I want to be reimbursed yearly for car insurance when I don't have an accident and good driving record..but it ain't happening.. these guys make Millions already and then get 3-5 months a year off.. If you wanna get paid for the olympics sell your gold medal

bljay29
04-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Another case of a basketball player being greedy, wouldn't expect it to come from Wade .. Representing your Country should be enough

JC_
04-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Dumb people put yo hands up!! :clap:

TheNumber37
04-12-2012, 08:51 AM
does free room, board, travels expenses, clothing and expanding their brand count as payment?

He115ing
04-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Are they not getting enough money as it is?! Greedy bastards!

JC_
04-12-2012, 09:07 AM
..That Dwyane would talk about being paid from any of the "side" businesses associated with the Olympics either shows an incredible level of ignorance (doubtful considering he seems very financially savvy), or more likely the belief that NBA players should get a side deal negotiated with the Olympic committees that goes far beyond what other athletes get (far more likely).

I find it highly doubtful that Wade knew where all of the Olympic money goes before his comment and I'm sure we don't know the whole story. There are a lot of people getting paid besides the Olympic program. I guarantee you all of the money from jersey's isn't going to them. The people making the jersey's aren't doing it for free and i'll bet they don't give as much to charity as some players like Wade.

JC_
04-12-2012, 09:09 AM
does free room, board, travels expenses, clothing and expanding their brand count as payment?

Probably not but it should definately be enough.

torocan
04-12-2012, 09:47 AM
I find it highly doubtful that Wade knew where all of the Olympic money goes before his comment and I'm sure we don't know the whole story. There are a lot of people getting paid besides the Olympic program. I guarantee you all of the money from jersey's isn't going to them. The people making the jersey's aren't doing it for free and i'll bet they don't give as much to charity as some players like Wade.

Merchandise for the Olympics is produced in two ways.

1. Directly by the Olympic committees (like TeamUSA). They pay manufacturers, then sell the products at venues/exhibitions. 100% of the profits go to TeamUSA. 20% goes to administrative overheads. > 80% goes to athlete support programs for sports like Skating, Swimming, Kayaking, etc, Medal incentive rewards (up to $25,000 per gold medal), medical and health insurance for those athletes that qualify, training facilities, stipends to support those athletes, scholarships, the running of events like national and regional trials, junior athletic programs, flights and accomodation to worldwide qualifying events like the Gymnastic worlds, etc.

2. By Sponsors of the Olympics. Olympic sponsors like Addidas pay large annual fees to be "Official" sponsors of the Olympics. It is believed that to be a worldwide Sponsor, the fees range depending on whether they are an "exclusive" sponsor for the product class, or just a general sponsor. A company like Addidas is believed to spend between $80m and $100m per year worldwide in order to have the rights to be the "exclusive" supplier of Olympic athletic clothing. Smaller National sponsors typically pay between $4m and $5m per year. Aside from that, products which are merchandised have a royalty incurred for sales, which go to the Olympic Committees.

The Sponsors take tremendous financial risk and pay alot of money for the right to use the Logo and Trademarks in their advertising. Sometimes the merchandising is a true revenue stream. Sometimes it is a part of the incurred advertising cost in order to promote their brand. It is heavily debated in marketing circles whether it is worth the cost to sponsor the Olympics as it usually requires large multi-year commitments in order to see a real marketing benefit.

For example, in 2009 after sponsoring the Olympics for 16 years, Home Depot ended their sponsorship of the Olympics (which included the financial support and employment of over 600 Olympians). They clearly decided that they couldn't justify the expenditures.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123137607705762973.html

According to TeamUSA, approximately 45% of their budget comes from sponsorships and 15% from private donations. TeamUSA is one of the few national teams that don't recieve any form of national government funding.

Many major professional athletes often have Olympic performance clauses in their endorsement contracts already. They usually already have major endorsement deals that scale their compensation and reward based upon performance in major athletic events like the Playoffs, Finals and yes, the Olympics.

So where does the money from Jersey sales go? To those that manufacture the Jersey (who usually try to make a profit), TeamUSA (in direct sales and royalties), and corporate sponsors (who hope to recoup their costs and in some cases make a profit).

The adding of additional royalties to any sort of merchandising would obviously be calculated into the total costing by any Sponsor. This would either result in a rise in the price of the Sponsorship, or a loss of earnings by the Olympic Committees, or an increase in the risk of Sponsorships (making it harder to convince them to sponsor the Olympics).

Money does not come out of a vacuum. When you take it from the Sponsors or the Committees, they have to get it back somewhere else. Who do you think is the most likely to "Pay"?

The athletes.

Finally, Dwyane Wade and Ray Allen didn't say that ALL athletes should be compensated, JUST the NBA players.

Fnom11
04-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Funny how everyone's bashing Wade without acknowledging Allen's comments. All Wade did was agree with Allen's statements and state that SOMEONE is making a lot of money off of the players playing in the Olympics and that they should receive some of it.

Fnom11
04-12-2012, 09:55 AM
I have said all along not Bosh, not LBJ, not Riley.....it's Wade that is the true selfish jerk of this organization. I did not think this in his earlier days but he is by far the most pompous individual in the league and it's hard to even appreciate his skills. He just gets worse by the minute in my eyes with his cockiness.

Doesn't read article, knows no background information; calls Wade a dick anyway.

cubfan23
04-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Wade is a freaking idiot and i lost a lot of respect for him. I'm not a fan Lebron but respect him a lot more now after those comments.

cubfan23
04-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Funny how everyone's bashing Wade without acknowledging Allen's comments. All Wade did was agree with Allen's statements and state that SOMEONE is making a lot of money off of the players playing in the Olympics and that they should receive some of it.

Well for one I don't see Allen being on the Olympic team this year and same with Allen I lost respect for him. No thtey shouldn't make money though, players are asked to represent the country, if you don't like that people are making money off it then don't play and collect your NBA paychecks.

JC_
04-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Merchandise for the Olympics is produced in two ways.

1. Directly by the Olympic committees (like TeamUSA). They pay manufacturers, then sell the products at venues/exhibitions. 100% of the profits go to TeamUSA. 20% goes to administrative overheads. > 80% goes to athlete support programs for sports like Skating, Swimming, Kayaking, etc, Medal incentive rewards (up to $25,000 per gold medal), medical and health insurance for those athletes that qualify, training facilities, stipends to support those athletes, scholarships, the running of events like national and regional trials, junior athletic programs, flights and accomodation to worldwide qualifying events like the Gymnastic worlds, etc.

2. By Sponsors of the Olympics. Olympic sponsors like Addidas pay large annual fees to be "Official" sponsors of the Olympics. It is believed that to be a worldwide Sponsor, the fees range depending on whether they are an "exclusive" sponsor for the product class, or just a general sponsor. A company like Addidas is believed to spend between $80m and $100m per year worldwide in order to have the rights to be the "exclusive" supplier of Olympic athletic clothing. Smaller National sponsors typically pay between $4m and $5m per year. Aside from that, products which are merchandised have a royalty incurred for sales, which go to the Olympic Committees.

The Sponsors take tremendous financial risk and pay alot of money for the right to use the Logo and Trademarks in their advertising. Sometimes the merchandising is a true revenue stream. Sometimes it is a part of the incurred advertising cost in order to promote their brand. It is heavily debated in marketing circles whether it is worth the cost to sponsor the Olympics as it usually requires large multi-year commitments in order to see a real marketing benefit.

For example, in 2009 after sponsoring the Olympics for 16 years, Home Depot ended their sponsorship of the Olympics (which included the financial support and employment of over 600 Olympians). They clearly decided that they couldn't justify the expenditures.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123137607705762973.html

According to TeamUSA, approximately 45% of their budget comes from sponsorships and 15% from private donations. TeamUSA is one of the few national teams that don't recieve any form of national government funding.

Many major professional athletes often have Olympic performance clauses in their endorsement contracts already. They usually already have major endorsement deals that scale their compensation and reward based upon performance in major athletic events like the Playoffs, Finals and yes, the Olympics.

So where does the money from Jersey sales go? To those that manufacture the Jersey (who usually try to make a profit), TeamUSA (in direct sales and royalties), and corporate sponsors (who hope to recoup their costs and in some cases make a profit).

The adding of additional royalties to any sort of merchandising would obviously be calculated into the total costing by any Sponsor. This would either result in a rise in the price of the Sponsorship, or a loss of earnings by the Olympic Committees, or an increase in the risk of Sponsorships (making it harder to convince them to sponsor the Olympics).

Money does not come out of a vacuum. When you take it from the Sponsors or the Committees, they have to get it back somewhere else. Who do you think is the most likely to "Pay"?

The athletes.

Thanks for the info. NBA players make a lot of money. I don't think they need to be paid to play in the olympics but they are also "brands" that are exploited in a huge way so I don't see a problem with some of them questioning the Olympic system.

Wade should have known more about it before talking to the press but either way it's not that big of a deal imo. The reporter most likely already had the article written and was just going through all of the players hoping to get an answer like Wade's.

iam brett favre
04-12-2012, 11:39 AM
He should definitely be paid. He makes almost no money playing in the NBA and with all of his endorsements. The Olympics should feel privileged to have D-Wade playing in them.

Fnom11
04-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Well for one I don't see Allen being on the Olympic team this year and same with Allen I lost respect for him. No thtey shouldn't make money though, players are asked to represent the country, if you don't like that people are making money off it then don't play and collect your NBA paychecks.

And yet Wade goes and plays for his country for free.... I really don't see how you can call him an idiot for having an opinion, especially when that opinion doesn't stop him from doing something.

People are so quick to jump on any ridiculous illogical hate bandwagon it's amazing.

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 12:10 PM
epsn
In a statement Thursday, Wade said, "I do not want to be paid to go to the Olympics."
haberstroh
"I should see $ from my jersey sales" is not the same as "I should be paid to play in the Olympics." Important difference.

D1JM
04-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Wade didn't ask getting paid for himself. The following is straight from his facebook:

But of course haters will twist the **** out of it and drag this thread to 15+ pages.

He shared his two cents on what he would like. He didn't deny his comments and I could care less if he was asked. Regardless, he feels(as same as Allen) that they should get some type of monetary reward by representing Team USA.

torocan
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
And yet Wade goes and plays for his country for free.... I really don't see how you can call him an idiot for having an opinion, especially when that opinion doesn't stop him from doing something.

People are so quick to jump on any ridiculous illogical hate bandwagon it's amazing.

Wade's not an idiot for having an opinion.

However, his opinion calls into question the WHY he is doing the Olympics.

It's like the friend who offers to help you move, then just before they come over, they say, "You're my friend, and I like helping you move, but it sure is tiring, and I took the day off, and wouldn't it be nice if someone was paying me $20/hour to do it."

Yes, the Olympics can be a huge monetary opportunity for Athletes, both before, during and afterwards. However the VAST majority of Olympic athletes aren't there for the $$$.

Unless you're in a marquee sport and a top medal competitor, you're not going to see anything remotely close to a payday. Instead, you'll be scraping by, training for years, competing in Olympic trials and qualifiers, all so you can wrap a flag around your shoulders and hear the national anthem.

I know an Olympian. They medalled in one of the Equestrian sports (horse riding). They spent TONS of their own money to train. Had very few sponsors. They actually LOST money every year they trained, and was a long shot to medal.

They were injured many times while training. Broken bones, sprains, and endless bruises.

After they won a medal, they got some endorsements. I asked them about how it must be nice to have some fame and financial reward for all their efforts.

They basically said to me,

"Yah, it's nice. That's not why I did it. I did it so I could compete for my country and hear the sound of the National Anthem. It was my dream to represent my country in the greatest athletic tradition on earth. The money is nice, but it doesn't mean anything. To be honest, even after the endorsements I still lost money to earn that medal. And it was worth every penny."

That's the true spirit of the Olympics. And even though we know that not everyone who participates does it for those reasons, most of them do. And we like to believe that they all do.

Wade and Allen could have kept their mouths shut and let their agents do the talking. They could have dealt privately with sponsors and companies to get what they feel is their "fair share".

Instead, they chose to show where their hearts are and that they don't care about crapping on the countless athletes who only care about the pride and the honor of representing their countries, the athletes who don't get paid millions every year, who have no hope of ever extracting monster sponsorship deals and big NBA style contracts.

That's why I've lost respect for Wade and Allen. Partly because they've shown themselves to be greedy, moreso because they disrespected the efforts and commitments of the athletes that have sacrificed far more for far less reward than they ever have.

And that's why I think Wade shouldn't be on TeamUSA.

Wade knew the deal when he accepted the invitation to the Olympic team. He had the option to decline it.

Rajon Rondo chose not to accept his invitation, and that perfectly okay.

There's no shortage of players who want to be on the team. To crap on it after he accepted the roster spot says to me he doesn't deserve to carry the flag, let alone wrap it around his shoulders.

torocan
04-12-2012, 12:38 PM
And the inevitable backtracking begins...

In a statement Thursday, Wade said, "I do not want to be paid to go to the Olympics."

Maybe he should become a politician. At least the 2 faced responses are appreciated there.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7805591/miami-heat-dwyane-wade-backs-compensation-olympics

Badluck33
04-12-2012, 12:58 PM
epsn
haberstroh

So.....He wants to be paid?

I dont see the difference...

Only way you get an Olympic Jersey is if you PLAY IN THE OLYMPICS.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

How do you play in the olympics and NOT get a jersey?

Badluck33
04-12-2012, 01:01 PM
can we vote who represents our country?

if so I'd prefer to not pick this d-bag and represent team USA.

Badluck33
04-12-2012, 01:02 PM
With the amount of injuries D-wade gets he should more than qualify for the wheelchair olympics.

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 01:03 PM
So.....He wants to be paid?

I dont see the difference...

Only way you get an Olympic Jersey is if you PLAY IN THE OLYMPICS.

How do you play in the olympics and NOT get a jersey?
The difference is he wants a cut of his jersey sales. Vs. wanting a salary for playing in the olympics. It;s like a car salesman, they get a commission, they work for free but when they sell something, that want a %. Thats how i see it at least. Wade will happily play for free, he wants to, but the money made off his name on the back of a jersey, he wants a cut of that.

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 01:03 PM
With the amount of injuries D-wade gets he should more than qualify for the wheelchair olympics.

stay classy

Badluck33
04-12-2012, 01:05 PM
So D-wade wants to get paid to go to the olympics?

justinnum1
04-12-2012, 01:06 PM
So D-wade wants to get paid to go to the olympics?

http://www.time4learning.com/readingpyramid/comprehension.htm

Badluck33
04-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Ah, I get it now....

D-wade wants to get a % of jersey sales. Jerseys that has his name on it. Jerseys that he will wear while playing in the olympics.

D-wade wants to get paid to play in the olympics.

torocan
04-12-2012, 01:12 PM
The difference is he wants a cut of his jersey sales. Vs. wanting a salary for playing in the olympics. It;s like a car salesman, they get a commission, they work for free but when they sell something, that want a %. Thats how i see it at least. Wade will happily play for free, he wants to, but the money made off his name on the back of a jersey, he wants a cut of that.

Except he's already being paid...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/04/12/dwyane-wade-is-wrong-nba-stars-already-get-paid-for-olympics/

Wade earns more than $10 million annually off the court from sponsors including: Jordan (owned by Nike), Gatorade, Hublot, Mission and Pepperidge Farm. His Nike deal is worth roughly $7 million annually. How much of that $7 million is tied to Nike knowing Wade will be a regular at the Olympics (this summer will be his third Games)? The Olympics provide Wade global exposure and allows him to command more valuable endorsement deals...

...The Olympics can directly spur new endorsement deals as well. Bryant was the most popular non-Chinese athlete at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. He capitalized on that by inking a deal with Chinese media company Sina in 2009 for his own site on the news portal. Smart, owned by Daimler AG, later signed the six-foot-six Bryant to promote the microcars in China.

So how much MORE does this guy want?

JC_
04-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Wade's not an idiot for having an opinion.

However, his opinion calls into question the WHY he is doing the Olympics.

It's like the friend who offers to help you move, then just before they come over, they say, "You're my friend, and I like helping you move, but it sure is tiring, and I took the day off, and wouldn't it be nice if someone was paying me $20/hour to do it."

It would be similar to that if for some reason your friend was making millions of dollars because of the fact that you are helping him move...

Badluck33
04-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Wait, i dont understand again...

Does D-wade get paid to play in the olympics?

Byronicle
04-12-2012, 01:18 PM
i get how USA Basketball makes tons of money from getting players like Wade to play for the Olympics when they sell jerseys

but how about instead of paying the players, they should have the money donated to charities that are sports related?

Badluck33
04-12-2012, 01:18 PM
It would be similar to that if for some reason your friend was making millions of dollars because of the fact that you are helping him move...

except everyone involved is already millionaires.

Badluck33
04-12-2012, 01:19 PM
i get how USA Basketball makes tons of money from getting players like Wade to play for the Olympics when they sell jerseys

but how about instead of paying the players, they should have the money donated to charities that are sports related?

If that was the case, Wade probably would have pulled out of the Olympics months ago predicting a summer injury.

Stinkyoutsider
04-12-2012, 02:04 PM
If you're a pro ball player and USA basketball asks you to play for the team, then the player should get paid. If the player asks USA basketball to play, then no. Maybe a stipend for expenses, but not outright pay for play.

We should mix it up anyway? Maybe we need to go back to ameturs playing for the team instead of pros? But, with all these other countries (Argentina, Brazil, ...) having their pros play, maybe we should match them and send our pros?

Longhornfan1234
04-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Of course he comes out after the public backlash and wants to clear the air. :facepalm:

Zefflin
04-12-2012, 02:10 PM
No way.

:clap:

torocan
04-12-2012, 02:15 PM
And the backpeddling begins....

On a lighter note:

Dwyane Wade likes money. Maybe he should start a business. How's the International House of Waffles sound?

Dwyane Wade is very impressive. He's managed to offend 87% of ESPN voters. Then in less than 24 hours offended the other 13% by flip flopping.

Dwyane Wade takes a Hard Foul from the fans and shows off his ability to Flop. Flip Flop that is...

Dwyane Wade flip flops and shows his PR team his speedy transition Defense.

Dwyane Wade should consider joining the Cycling team. Never seen someone back pedal so fast...

Maybe Dwyane Wade should compete in the America's Cup. Not often you see someone change course so fast...

Petrino to DWade : You need a better PR team.

Lebron to DWade : Maybe I should hire you as my PR guy. You've done more for my image in 24 hours than my PR team has all year.

Dwight Howard to DWade : And people think I'm indecisive...

Slug3
04-12-2012, 03:18 PM
So wait, Allen makes the comments and Wade agrees but everyone wants to bash Wade and let Allen be?

Bruno
04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
haha, now he comes out with a PC retraction through his publicist after the backlash :laugh2:. There should be a back peddling graphic.

JC_
04-12-2012, 03:26 PM
So wait, Allen makes the comments and Wade agrees but everyone wants to bash Wade and let Allen be?

Pretty much. Either way he probably shouldn't have commented about it.

One thing that has me confused is this thread title.. did Wade actually ask to be paid?

Slug3
04-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Pretty much. Either way he probably shouldn't have commented about it.

One thing that has me confused is this thread title.. did Wade actually ask to be paid?

From what I read I dont think he "asked" to be paid but stated that the players should get paid.

AddiX
04-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Olympics are an amateur event, (although basketball allows pros), therefore I don't think he can get paid.

Does anyone in the olympics get paid? I'm pretty sure that would be against the rules, unless thats just been thrown out the window.

dtmagnet
04-12-2012, 04:00 PM
And the backpeddling begins....

On a lighter note:

Dwyane Wade likes money. Maybe he should start a business. How's the International House of Waffles sound?

Dwyane Wade is very impressive. He's managed to offend 87% of ESPN voters. Then in less than 24 hours offended the other 13% by flip flopping.

Dwyane Wade takes a Hard Foul from the fans and shows off his ability to Flop. Flip Flop that is...

Dwyane Wade flip flops and shows his PR team his speedy transition Defense.

Dwyane Wade should consider joining the Cycling team. Never seen someone back pedal so fast...

Maybe Dwyane Wade should compete in the America's Cup. Not often you see someone change course so fast...

Petrino to DWade : You need a better PR team.

Lebron to DWade : Maybe I should hire you as my PR guy. You've done more for my image in 24 hours than my PR team has all year.

Dwight Howard to DWade : And people think I'm indecisive...

Well done sir.

RaiderLakersA's
04-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Retraction = smart move.

WSUJJ
04-12-2012, 04:10 PM
i love lebron's comment here.

wade thinks college players should be compensated too?

WOW.

I do agree college players should be payed.

iam brett favre
04-12-2012, 04:45 PM
I have less respect for him retracting the statement now. At least stand by your selfish comment.

torocan
04-12-2012, 05:00 PM

The difference is Allen wasn't invited on to TeamUSA. He did not need to accept the Mantle of being an Olympic Athlete. Yes, I am offended by Allen, but HE is NOT the one representing TeamUSA.

Wade accepted the invite. He agreed to a Roster spot. He decided that he was going to don the Uniform with the letters USA on his chest.

That team on the front of his jersey can never be traded, never be bought, never moved by a petulant owner, or go bankrupt and sold to the highest bidder.

With that choice comes an obligation that most of us will never know. An obligation to represent your nation and your sport in the best way possible, and to shoulder that obligation without complaint.

When you accept that you will be a member of TeamUSA, you are saying to the entire Nation that you accept that position and the responsibilities gladly, as well as the weight of the thousands of athletes that went before and will follow you, and the Billions that will watch you from around the world.

You are saying that you are one and the same as the thousands of other athletes who come to compete, the one's who work blue collar and office jobs, the rich and the poor, who leave their jobs and homes to train at the gyms for years and decades. The one's that live on the meagre TeamUSA stipends and minor sponsorships, the one's that spend their own dollars for equipment and training time, all in the hope for that one shining moment when you hear the Anthem of your nation.

The Olympics is NOT the staples arena. It is NOT an professional sports league. It is not a place where owners bicker and swap athletes like trading cards. It is a place where athletes all over the world come together once every 4 years to show that Sports can be about more than salaries, that there can be Glory in performance without expectation, and Heroism in performing beyond beyond our imaginations.

The Olympics is about Jesse Owens putting Hitler to shame, about a Japanese gymnast who breaks his leg... and finishes his routine.

The Olympics is about a wisp of a girl who spends 15 years of her life in training for the 20s performance of a lifetime, and the Sprinter who trains their entire lives for 10 seconds of immortality.

When you agree to become a member of TeamUSA, you become an Ambassador of the United States in the world of Sport. It no longer is about You. It is about something much larger.

If Wade did NOT accept an Olympic roster spot, I would be unhappy with his choice, and his skill would be missed, but it would be HIS CHOICE. Nobody forced him to accept the Jersey. He was not drafted. Nobody put a gun to his head.

Rajon Rondo elected to NOT compete in the Olympics this year. That was HIS choice. If he felt that athletes should be compensated more, or he was tired, or had other obligations, it was still his choice to NOT put on an Olympic uniform.

Wade made a choice too. Then showed that he did not understand what that Jersey meant. To him it's a marketing tool. A way to build his brand and squeeze a few more dollars out of his next contract.

What he does not understand is that if you need to be "enticed" to compete in the Olympics, you have no business being there.

And you certainly have no business standing on a podium, with the Red, White and Blue draped upon your shoulders.

JC_
04-12-2012, 05:06 PM
The difference is Allen wasn't invited on to TeamUSA. He did not need to accept the Mantle of being an Olympic Athlete. Yes, I am offended by Allen, but HE is NOT the one representing TeamUSA.

Wade accepted the invite. He agreed to a Roster spot. He decided that he was going to don the Uniform with the letters USA on his chest.

That team on the front of his jersey can never be traded, never be bought, never moved by a petulant owner, or go bankrupt and sold to the highest bidder.

With that choice comes an obligation that most of us will never know. An obligation to represent your nation and your sport in the best way possible, and to shoulder that obligation without complaint.

When you accept that you will be a member of TeamUSA, you are saying to the entire Nation that you accept that position and the responsibilities gladly, as well as the weight of the thousands of athletes that went before and will follow you, and the Billions that will watch you from around the world.

You are saying that you are one and the same as the thousands of other athletes who come to compete, the one's who work blue collar and office jobs, the rich and the poor, who leave their jobs and homes to train at the gyms for years and decades. The one's that live on the meagre TeamUSA stipends and minor sponsorships, the one's that spend their own dollars for equipment and training time, all in the hope for that one shining moment when you hear the Anthem of your nation.

The Olympics is NOT the staples arena. It is NOT an professional sports league. It is not a place where owners bicker and swap athletes like trading cards. It is a place where athletes all over the world come together once every 4 years to show that Sports can be about more than salaries, that there can be Glory in performance without expectation, and Heroism in performing beyond beyond our imaginations.

The Olympics is about Jesse Owens putting Hitler to shame, about a Japanese gymnast who breaks his leg... and finishes his routine.

The Olympics is about a wisp of a girl who spends 15 years of her life in training for the 20s performance of a lifetime, and the Sprinter who trains their entire lives for 10 seconds of immortality.

When you agree to become a member of TeamUSA, you become an Ambassador of the United States in the world of Sport. It no longer is about You. It is about something much larger.

If Wade did NOT accept an Olympic roster spot, I would be unhappy with his choice, and his skill would be missed, but it would be HIS CHOICE. Nobody forced him to accept the Jersey. He was not drafted. Nobody put a gun to his head.

Rajon Rondo elected to NOT compete in the Olympics this year. That was HIS choice. If he felt that athletes should be compensated more, or he was tired, or had other obligations, it was still his choice to NOT put on an Olympic uniform.

Wade made a choice too. Then showed that he did not understand what that Jersey meant. To him it's a marketing tool. A way to build his brand and squeeze a few more dollars out of his next contract.

What he does not understand is that if you need to be "enticed" to compete in the Olympics, you have no business being there.

And you certainly have no business standing on a podium, with the Red, White and Blue draped upon your shoulders.

:speechless:

SteveNash
04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Olympics are an amateur event, (although basketball allows pros), therefore I don't think he can get paid.

Does anyone in the olympics get paid? I'm pretty sure that would be against the rules, unless thats just been thrown out the window.

Olympics are a professional event (except Boxing). Nearly everyone gets paid.

boolish
04-13-2012, 09:50 AM
hey man. these guys gotta take care of their families. it's hard to make it on $20m a year these days.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Wade is just saying this because he's going to end up coming off the bench to back up Kobe again. :laugh2: