PDA

View Full Version : Stephon Marbury Hall Of Fame Worthy???

rhymeratic
04-11-2012, 01:19 PM
I think he's putting together a compelling argument. The dude was a top 20 player for most of his career, been to several all-star games. He essentially carried inept teams... went overseas, revitalized and helped shape the international game in China and became a champion and top player there. Did win a medal (not gold) in the Olympics. I think on those merits this guy is going to get into the hall of fame.

One thing is for certain... he has a FAR BETTER chance and track record of getting into the hall than...

T-Mac - sorry I had to throw him in there.

flea
04-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Is this a joke thread?

BullsFan_1
04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
wat

JordansBulls
04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Is this a joke thread?

:nod:

nycsports2
04-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Cmon i love starbury and now hes gonna get bashed

ManningToTyree
04-11-2012, 01:33 PM
I think he's putting together a compelling argument. The dude was a top 20 player for most of his career, been to several all-star games. He essentially carried inept teams... went overseas, revitalized and helped shape the international game in China and became a champion and top player there. Did win a medal (not gold) in the Olympics. I think on those merits this guy is going to get into the hall of fame.

One thing is for certain... he has a FAR BETTER chance and track record of getting into the hall than...

**** no.

And T-Mac is light years better. It isn't even close.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
**** no.

And T-Mac is light years better. It isn't even close.

T-Mac was better then Marbury's best, for a shorter period of time. Marbury was VERY consistent throughout his career. It really is closer then you think...

JOhnnyTHaJet
04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
I guess people forget that its the BASKETBALL Hall of Fame not THE NBA HALL OF FAME. If he continues doing what he's doing in China, he has a very legitimate chance.

king4day
04-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Nope. He was very good and that's it. I compare to guys like Shaq, Duncan, Stockton. Can't mention him in the same breath.

Chronz
04-11-2012, 01:44 PM
T-Mac was better then Marbury's best, for a shorter period of time. Marbury was VERY consistent throughout his career. It really is closer then you think...

Its not even close, at all. Tmac put up #'s the league has rarely seen during its most defensively dominant era, he carried the kind of talent Marbury was missing playoffs with to some sort of respectability. Neither one won, but the playoff production is a joke, Mac was never losing in the fashion that Marbury did.

And I say all this as a Marbury fan, but obviously an even greater Tmac fan. I will admit that Marbury has a greater shot at the HOF, but that has more to do with the idiotic voting process than anything truly competitive, if he gets in, it will be because of his legendary status in China not against the best in the sport.

Chronz
04-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Nope. He was very good and that's it. I compare to guys like Shaq, Duncan, Stockton. Can't mention him in the same breath.

Why would you compare him to those guys if thats not the subject of this thread?

Diewitdaknicks
04-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Seriously dude this is first degree baiting. Hall of Shame maybe but not the hall of fame. He still has an opportunity to redeem himself. But as of now he is a black eye to the NBA.

knicks4life33
04-11-2012, 01:49 PM
come on man this why you give knick fans a bad name in the forumns

king4day
04-11-2012, 01:51 PM
To the argument for what he's doing in China, he went there to sell his brand. He's part of a league that's isn't exactly flourishing with NBA talent. He didn't go there to help the International aspect of the game. He went there for himself and it worked out for him.
You don't get consideration for doing things for selfish reasons.

PurpleJesus
04-11-2012, 01:52 PM
lolololololololol no

king4day
04-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Why would you compare him to those guys if thats not the subject of this thread?

The Thread title asks if he's Hall worthy. That's all I need to read.
Nevermind his 'top 20' stats for a handful of years or what he's doing overseas. The guy was a headcase and each team he went to was always a failure.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Its not even close, at all. Tmac put up #'s the league has rarely seen during its most defensively dominant era, he carried the kind of talent Marbury was missing playoffs with to some sort of respectability. Neither one won, but the playoff production is a joke, Mac was never losing in the fashion that Marbury did.

And I say all this as a Marbury fan, but obviously an even greater Tmac fan. I will admit that Marbury has a greater shot at the HOF, but that has more to do with the idiotic voting process than anything truly competitive, if he gets in, it will be because of his legendary status in China not against the best in the sport.

Your defensive claim is ridiculous, so I won't speak on it anymore. And the way they lost... is completly irrelevant. I'ma fan of both players as well. McGrady only had one 30 pt season... with a 21, 6, 5 career average. Slightly better then Steve Francis numbers. 30 and 7 is somethin this league has seen... more often then not, Durant, Melo quickly come to mind. Marbury had nearly 8 seasons of almost averging a double-double. Both were very very good players. T-Mac was a beast. And if it wasn't for injuries this argument problley would be as far about as you claim.

willabeast77
04-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Marbury only made 2 allstar appearances and 2 All-NBA team selections (both 3rd). His numbers are decent but he was on too many bad teams (not much playoff success). I dont think he'll make the Hall some day.

smith&wesson
04-11-2012, 02:00 PM
I guess people forget that its the BASKETBALL Hall of Fame not THE NBA HALL OF FAME. If he continues doing what he's doing in China, he has a very legitimate chance.

this

KingPosey
04-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Marbury was never near as good as TMac even at their peaks. As talented, yes. As good, not even close.

smith&wesson
04-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Marbury only made 2 allstar appearances and 2 All-NBA team selections (both 3rd). His numbers are decent but he was on too many bad teams (not much playoff success). I dont think he'll make the Hall some day.

its not the nba hof. its basketball hof. theres a diff. most ppl dont seem to understand that.

KingPosey
04-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Your defensive claim is ridiculous, so I won't speak on it anymore. And the way they lost... is completly irrelevant. I'ma fan of both players as well. McGrady only had one 30 pt season... with a 21, 6, 5 career average. Slightly better then Steve Francis numbers. 30 and 7 is somethin this league has seen... more often then not, Durant, Melo quickly come to mind. Marbury had nearly 8 seasons of almost averging a double-double. Both were very very good players. T-Mac was a beast. And if it wasn't for injuries this argument problley would be as far about as you claim.

They quickly come to mind, but neither has done it.

Marbury was talented as ****, but who cares if you score about 20 a game for several years, when you shoot 42% almost the entire time, and a lot of the time even lower than that.

Iodine
04-11-2012, 02:06 PM
What.

I...... Jesus Christ I give up PSD, you win.

black1605
04-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Not a chance.

rhymeratic
04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
I''m glad some people read the title carefully. It's not just about what you do in the NBA but about Basketball PERIOD... the dude won in HS, dominated in college, was a consistent player as a pro and did enough to be a top 20 player in the league during his prime. Essentially made the CBA a viable option for NBA players and grew basketball as a global brand and WON and dominated in CBA.... That's a lot that SCREAMS Pro Basketball Hall of Fame to me... Sure is he a Rodman headcase... YES but he did it his way and CBA championship means a lot when considering he went up against above average talent and current players in the league now. Dismissing that is like dismissing the ABA players prior to the merger.

Iodine
04-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Nobody cares about HS basketball for HoF. Lance Stephenson was one of the best HS players of the past decade.
Your obtuse if you think one year of college ball on a 24-12 team will endear him to voters.

llemon
04-11-2012, 02:18 PM

I get it.

As an Iverson-Melo fan, you think it is all about numbers

EYDI819
04-11-2012, 02:20 PM
NBA Hall of Fame - NO (not good enough numbers, nothing extra ordinary)
Basketball Hall of Fame - YES (Helped the game of basketball flourish/popular in China. Maybe inspired a Chinese kid to pick up a basketball and be in the NBA someday)

ManningToTyree
04-11-2012, 02:48 PM
T-Mac won two scoring titles made several more all star teams and all nba teams. He was a top 5 player for at least 5 years. I'm in awe that this is even being debated.

He will probably make it though. The Basketball HoF is the biggest joke of any major sports HoF.

rhymeratic
04-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Nobody cares about HS basketball for HoF. Lance Stephenson was one of the best HS players of the past decade.
Your obtuse if you think one year of college ball on a 24-12 team will endear him to voters.

Really and yet I'm sure they'll be citing Anthony Davis & Derrick Rose for being great college players... Or how about Carmelo who WON a championship in college 1 and done...

Are you saying that Melo is not making the HOF when his career is done... without a NBA championship...

Rivera
04-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Jamal wilks is a HOFer....anyone can be a HOFer

Marbury has a legit case

I would say say he just misses the cut but ppl who vote for the basketball HOF is a joke. Maybe the voters keep steph out cause they dont like him?

2-ONE-5
04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
short answer: NO
long answer: NO way in hell

I dont recall any American not being great in China. JR Smith scored like 35 PPG in China is there a thread coming about him and the Hall of Fame next?

albertc86
04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Basketball Hall of Fame - YES (Helped the game of basketball flourish/popular in China. Maybe inspired a Chinese kid to pick up a basketball and be in the NBA someday)

Yao Ming? I'm sure Marbury has influenced kids in China but a string of good games by Lin trumps anything that Marbury accomplishes career-wise in China. That's just how it is. So no, he's not going into the Hall of Fame. And it's not like superstar players haven't stepped foot in China; they hold camps there in the offseason.

EYDI819
04-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Yao Ming? I'm sure Marbury has influenced kids in China but a string of good games by Lin trumps anything that Marbury accomplishes career-wise in China. That's just how it is. So no, he's not going into the Hall of Fame. And it's not like superstar players haven't stepped foot in China; they hold camps there in the offseason.

Holding camps in the offseason is different from playing in the season. Yao Ming is different because he is Chinese.

You really want to say that Lin has more impact in China? When are they going to make a Bronze Statue of Jeremy Lin? They are making one right now for Marbury which shows how big of an impact he made with the Chinese people. 1 million people voted to have it done which means people wanted it. That is all the proof you can have for having an impact in a different country.

Mr.ATLHawks
04-11-2012, 03:14 PM
LOL Stephon Marbury being HOF material. If it is the WORLD BAsketball HOF then why isnt Arvydas Sabonis in the HOF?

I assure his numerous Euroleague MVP, Player of the Year, and Championships as well as his 1988 Olympic Gold Medal including defeating the US is a hell of alot more then whatever Starbury is doing against some obscure Chinese Basketball League.

1-800-STFU
04-11-2012, 03:19 PM
He should be put into the Vasoline hall of fame.

EYDI819
04-11-2012, 03:21 PM
LOL Stephon Marbury being HOF material. If it is the WORLD BAsketball HOF then why isnt Arvydas Sabonis in the HOF?

I assure his numerous MVP, Player of the Year, and Championships as well as his 1988 Olympic Gold Medal against is a hell of alot more then whatever Starbury is doing against some obscure Chinese Basketball League.

Sabonis is in a few hall of fames... "On August 20, 2010, Sabonis was inducted into the FIBA Hall of Fame in recognition of his great play in international competition.[2] On April 4, 2011, Sabonis was named to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame,[3] and he was inducted on August 12, 2011. Sabonis has the distinction of being the tallest player inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. On 24 October 2011, Sabonis was voted to be the next president of the Lithuanian Basketball Federation."

Google is your friend!

Knicksfan1984
04-11-2012, 03:22 PM

come on man, you make us knicks fans look like idiots :facepalm:

xxcubs22xx
04-11-2012, 03:24 PM
I LOL'd when I read the thread title.

PJAF
04-11-2012, 03:30 PM
T-Mac is not better than Marbury and neither should go to the HOF. I think Steph may have had a chance had he stayed in the NBA. His career and confidence were ruined in NY by Mike Dantoni.

Mr.ATLHawks
04-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Sabonis is in a few hall of fames... "On August 20, 2010, Sabonis was inducted into the FIBA Hall of Fame in recognition of his great play in international competition.[2] On April 4, 2011, Sabonis was named to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame,[3] and he was inducted on August 12, 2011. Sabonis has the distinction of being the tallest player inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. On 24 October 2011, Sabonis was voted to be the next president of the Lithuanian Basketball Federation."

Google is your friend!

My bad I saw the FIFA HOF but damn Wikipedia didnt have the Naismith one. Point is Starbury doesnt deserve it for 1 year in China. A.I. has done alot more then him basketball wise and I think there will be critics on whether he belongs in it or not.

Mr.ATLHawks
04-11-2012, 03:35 PM
T-Mac is not better than Marbury and neither should go to the HOF. I think Steph may have had a chance had he stayed in the NBA. His career and confidence were ruined in NY by Mike Dantoni.

Stephon Marbury is like alot of guys. They have athletic ability but once that starts to decline or being injured they havent developed the rest of their game like Vince Carter, Gilbert Arenas, etc. As Jordan became less freakishly athletic as his career progressed his midrange game became that more deadly and he developed his fadeaway and three point shot. I think MArbury had alot of potential but his attitude and lack of growth limits him from being in the HOF coversation, not to mention lack of winning anything..

ABOMB_56
04-11-2012, 03:36 PM
What.

I...... Jesus Christ I give up PSD, you win.

This

RaiderLakersA's
04-11-2012, 03:38 PM
The bigger question is will the NBA HOF become as watered down as the league currently is?

EYDI819
04-11-2012, 03:41 PM
My bad I saw the FIFA HOF but damn Wikipedia didnt have the Naismith one. Point is Starbury doesnt deserve it for 1 year in China. A.I. has done alot more then him basketball wise and I think there will be critics on whether he belongs in it or not.

There is no doubt that AI is a Hall of Famer. Shouldn't even talk in the same breath with Marbury!

KingPosey
04-11-2012, 03:43 PM
I''m glad some people read the title carefully. It's not just about what you do in the NBA but about Basketball PERIOD... the dude won in HS, dominated in college, was a consistent player as a pro and did enough to be a top 20 player in the league during his prime. Essentially made the CBA a viable option for NBA players and grew basketball as a global brand and WON and dominated in CBA.... That's a lot that SCREAMS Pro Basketball Hall of Fame to me... Sure is he a Rodman headcase... YES but he did it his way and CBA championship means a lot when considering he went up against above average talent and current players in the league now. Dismissing that is like dismissing the ABA players prior to the merger.

Dude HS ball can only mean so much, and he played one year in college on a team that wasnt that special.

X12Celtics3
04-11-2012, 03:52 PM
No. I know that it is the basketball Hall of Fame, not the NBA... but considering that the NBA is the most prominent league, I would consider it the most important towards induction chances. His NBA career was not spectacular enough for me to want to vote him in, so I'd say it will take more than a single season in China to put him over the top.

BullySixChicago
04-11-2012, 03:52 PM

You can't be serious he has about much of a chance to get in the hall as some guy trying to swim the Atlantic Ocean and thinking he wont get wet.

Well I must ask are you speaking of the American hall of fame or China?

Marbury wont even get a vote and as for T-Max he may not get in but he will get triple the votes that Marbury would ever get

CudiOnMyiPod
04-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Oh look. Another Knicks fan starting a thread about how great their garbage players are.

EYDI819
04-11-2012, 04:01 PM
You can't be serious he has about much of a chance to get in the hall as some guy trying to swim the Atlantic Ocean and thinking he wont get wet.

Well I must ask are you speaking of the American hall of fame or China?

Marbury wont even get a vote and as for T-Max he may not get in but he will get triple the votes that Marbury would ever get

So that means Tmac will also get no votes??? Because if Marbury gets 0 votes and Tmac gets 3 times as much. That means 3 times 0 equals 0 lols :D. Im just messing with you :)

Chronz
04-11-2012, 04:10 PM

I assure his numerous Euroleague MVP, Player of the Year, and Championships as well as his 1988 Olympic Gold Medal including defeating the US is a hell of alot more then whatever Starbury is doing against some obscure Chinese Basketball League.
Umm what? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0pJeNu6fgs&feature=related

Poor guy doesnt even know why he made the HOF

Chronz
04-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Your defensive claim is ridiculous, so I won't speak on it anymore.
Pitty, still true

And the way they lost... is completly irrelevant.
False, its far more impressive to actually perform well in defeat than look pitiful in defeat. As an extreme example, if we were to follow your way of thinking, Larry Bird should have never deified Michael Jordan even though he beat him in the first round. Facts are, how you lose and who you play matters a ton.

I'ma fan of both players as well. McGrady only had one 30 pt season... with a 21, 6, 5 career average. Slightly better then Steve Francis numbers.
Im not impressed by your statistical analysis that is limited to a whopping 3 digits (PTS-REB-AST). If your not up to sniff on the statistical revolution going on, plz do yourself a favor and stick to subjective arguments, its clear you have no idea of how to quantify production.

Chronz
04-11-2012, 04:34 PM
The Thread title asks if he's Hall worthy. That's all I need to read.
The point I was trying to make was, if the topic is about the HOF then you need to lower your standards because those players are far above the bar for a HOF career. IMO You dont have to match their pedigree to make the HOF, so I was asking why is your barometer those players?

Nevermind his 'top 20' stats for a handful of years or what he's doing overseas. The guy was a headcase and each team he went to was always a failure.

That what people said about Pistol Pete throughout his NBA career.

AnthonyTyrael
04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Hell no. I know it's a joke nowadays, or almost, just like an all-star selection somehow is with the current voting system, or winning mvp but actually not being the best or most valuable player but hell no, the HoF should be the Olymp for basketballplayers (but it's not nevertheless). Still... hell no. Dude sucked over the period of what people call career.

jayjay33
04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
The thing is most guys the caliber of a marbury don't spend much time, if any in leagues like china. But if one did they could easily go on to be one of, if not the greatest player in that leagues history. Is their anyone here who really thinks that if steph stays over there he can't go on to become the greatest player in their history or at least 2nd behind Ming? Now don't get me wrong with his talent it's almost like cheating, but that's not the point. We either have to say the greatest players in china Bball history aren't allowed in the HOF are say that steph can't be one of their greats......but I don't really think we can say either one, can we?

rhymeratic
04-11-2012, 05:40 PM
If we all can agree that the Harlem Globetrotters are a joke of a basketball brand and yet they have hall of famers... The CBA will have players going into the HOF and you have to place Marbury in just as a pioneer in fostering a relationship GLOBALLY & he dominated the league. No matter what, you can't downplay the fact that there was NBA talent playing there.

Too many of you are judging his antics and late NBA career. Those that ACTUALLY watched him in the 90's through 1st year with Knicks know that he was an All-Star player. You have to keep in mind of who his contemporaries were... making an All-Star game was beyond hard when you have Kobe, Vince, T-Mac, J-Kidd, Gary Payton, MJ, Mitch Richmond, White Chocolate, Billups (WHO GOT NO LOVE until he got to Pistons...)

Even amongsts peers he made it TWICE. That's saying a lot right there.

JasonJohnHorn
04-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Carried team? No. Every team he played for was better without him. He's in NJ, they are a lottery team. Kidd replaces him, they are in the NBA finals. The Suns with him, are a lotter team, replaced by Nash they are in the conference finals. the T-Wolves had him and they were either out in the first round or in the lottery, then with Sam Cassell they get to the conference finals.

No... he didn't carry teams.

The only case he's really making for himself is his international play, but that said, the HOF usually sees American in Europe or Asia as second rate and not being able to cut it in the NBA, and only reward international players for their international success.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-11-2012, 06:45 PM
I get it.

As an Iverson-Melo fan, you think it is all about numbers

Prove them wrong... Number's don't lie.

alexander_37
04-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Tmac had better shooting $'s more steals more blocks more boards less turnovers less fouls more points.... No he is not hall worthy no he is no where near Tmac.

smood999
04-11-2012, 07:23 PM
one misconception i read..knicks fan hyping their players...marbury overall is very disliked in the knicks fan base

anyway...numbers have alot to do with the hall of fame...marbury was about to be the only player besides oscar robertson to avg atleast 20 pts and atleast 8 assists for his career....his last couple of yrs his numbers dipped slightly below that...yes its per game avg but until they start using advanced stats when determining hof players it means a lot

2nd...u look around the leauge...marbury and iverson have the most influence on todays pgs...it wasnt until them that ppl started using the term true pg..combo guard etc...u look at players like rose westbrook wall etc...their games take after marbury, iverson and theres no denying that marbury was an elite pg for yrs...his career was alot better than nash for most of their time together in the league...same draft class but nash was an afterthought at one point cause he was such a late bloomer

3rd..its a basketball hof and idk, and correct me if im wrong, but idk if any former nba player went overseas and had the influence there...many overseas players come here and get in cause of their influence on both cultures

im not saying he should be in...but there is a case..i dont think he will get in due to the lack of team success...but theres no denying his numbers or his influence on todays pgs...

theheatles
04-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Hes a street legend, very good nba player, champion in china, he's from brooklyn...i don't see how he doesn't get in with some of the ppl in the basketball HOF

THE MTL
04-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Marbury was just a good player. Made the allstar team a few times. Lead his team to the playoffs just a couple of seasons. Has he ever made it out of first round? Either way he had no Finals/Conference finals appearances. His legacy was ruined at the end of his NBA career. Overall, he was good but nothing special

BradHolt4CYoung
04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
This is pathetic.

NY007
04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo

LongWayFromHome
04-12-2012, 03:44 AM
2 NBA All-Star games, 2 All NBA 3rd teams.

His stats say yes but most everything else says no.

LASportsFan1996
04-12-2012, 04:19 AM
Hell No.

John Walls Era
04-12-2012, 04:58 AM
He has nice stats, I think he was pretty much 20-10 during his prime. I just don't see him getting the nod though.

abe_froman
04-12-2012, 05:08 AM
at first i thought this was a trolling or joke thread,but op seems like he really believes it.but yeah the point is that its abit laughable of a concept

smood999
04-12-2012, 05:45 AM
He has nice stats, I think he was pretty much 20-10 during his prime. I just don't see him getting the nod though.

20 8...that was his career avg for his first 10 seasons...he played 12...the thing about it though that made it significant is that no other player besides oscar robertson did that...hes also 21st overall in assists...his lack of team success may be the only thing that keeps him out....i dont think its that laughable although i dont think he'll get in either

smood999
04-12-2012, 05:51 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/hof_prob.html

Summary

Hall of Fame probabilities are presented for all players with a minimum of 400 NBA games played. Although it can be risky to make predictions for active players, you can think of these probabilities as answering the question "If this player retired today, what is the probability he would be elected to the Hall of Fame?". The model was built using a pool of 750 players. One method to assess classification accuracy is to compare the estimated Hall of Fame probability for the case to the actual result. Of the 750 players, 89 had been elected to the Hall of Fame and 661 had not. If the player's predicted probability of election was greater than or equal to 0.5, I predicted that he was in the Hall of Fame. Of the 89 players in the Hall of Fame, 74 were correctly classified (83.1%) and 15 were not (16.9%). Of the 661 players not in the Hall of Fame, 651 were correctly classified (98.5%) and 10 were not (1.5%). Overall, 725 of the 750 players (96.7%) were correctly classified by the model.

and heres the list of the top 250 players past and present with the highest hof probability...marbury is #149 using the formula...also players with a lower probability that r beneath him r....bill walton, chris mullin, dan issel, reggie miller, calvin murphy, ralph sampson...of course there are a bunch ahead of him that r not in...the first link shows how the formula is come by

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_career.html

the ppl below him that r in seem to be exceptions...it pretty much says his chances arent good though

rhymeratic
04-12-2012, 08:57 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/hof_prob.html

Summary

Hall of Fame probabilities are presented for all players with a minimum of 400 NBA games played. Although it can be risky to make predictions for active players, you can think of these probabilities as answering the question "If this player retired today, what is the probability he would be elected to the Hall of Fame?". The model was built using a pool of 750 players. One method to assess classification accuracy is to compare the estimated Hall of Fame probability for the case to the actual result. Of the 750 players, 89 had been elected to the Hall of Fame and 661 had not. If the player's predicted probability of election was greater than or equal to 0.5, I predicted that he was in the Hall of Fame. Of the 89 players in the Hall of Fame, 74 were correctly classified (83.1%) and 15 were not (16.9%). Of the 661 players not in the Hall of Fame, 651 were correctly classified (98.5%) and 10 were not (1.5%). Overall, 725 of the 750 players (96.7%) were correctly classified by the model.

and heres the list of the top 250 players past and present with the highest hof probability...marbury is #149 using the formula...also players with a lower probability that r beneath him r....bill walton, chris mullin, dan issel, reggie miller, calvin murphy, ralph sampson...of course there are a bunch ahead of him that r not in...the first link shows how the formula is come by

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_career.html

the ppl below him that r in seem to be exceptions...it pretty much says his chances arent good though

And my point basically is his run through the CBA is what is likely going to push him into the HOF. Without the CBA as it stands now he's borderline, with it I think he gets in as crazy as it sounds.