PDA

View Full Version : Melo should remain at PF

JayW_1023
04-11-2012, 06:29 AM
http://hoopshype.com/columns/rosen/stoudemire-and-lin-are-superfluous

I think for the Knicks to remain competitive, Melo at PF creates a lot of mismatches, while he has the strength and rebounding ability to hold his own against most PF's. It really opened up the Knicks' game plan on Sunday.

Having both Shumpert and Fields on the perimeter definitely makes the Knicks' defense more dynamic, with two active stoppers.

Stoudemire clearly isn't a prime time performer anymore.

oak2455
04-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Cool I agree, but you know the hate is gonna come no matter what... It's a Knick topic... Here they come

blastmasta26
04-11-2012, 07:07 AM
It's an interesting situation because he's been doing well at the 4 spot, then again the Bulls just killed the Knicks on the boards and Melo only had 2 rebounds. And I think bigger PFs would give him trouble.

However, Stoudemire off the bench would be a possible improvement as he and Melo seem to play better when they are the lone focal point of the offense and not together. Plus, it would reduce Amare's minutes a little bit, preventing injuries to an extent and also preventing bench inconsistency.

It's a tough call long term, I think we might need more of a sample size.

Rndy
04-11-2012, 08:59 AM
If he starts getting on the boards a little more why not? Not like there are any better options for them. Amare isn't the answer either terrible rebounder.

NYKnicks4511
04-11-2012, 09:17 AM
I just hope we can get rid of Amar'e if he plays well in the postseason. Melo lights up 3s and 4s - it's about spacing and camaraderie between the stars.

nycsports2
04-11-2012, 09:30 AM
it's an interesting situation because he's been doing well at the 4 spot, then again the bulls just killed the knicks on the boards and melo only had 2 rebounds. And i think bigger pfs would give him trouble.

However, stoudemire off the bench would be a possible improvement as he and melo seem to play better when they are the lone focal point of the offense and not together. Plus, it would reduce amare's minutes a little bit, preventing injuries to an extent and also preventing bench inconsistency.

It's a tough call long term, i think we might need more of a sample size.

+1

Swashcuff
04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
How is Stoudemire not a big performer anymore? Based on one season of sub par play? Last season Stoudemire was in the running for MVP consideration for the greater part of the season but losing his starting PG didn't do him very well.

Earlier this season people were saying that Melo wasn't a top 30 player in the league because of his poor start completely ignoring his entire body of work. I've even saw someone say that Melo is on the decline at 27 (facepalm worthy). Let's Amar'e the opportunity to get himself back into rhythm before we start saying he isn't starter material anymore. He was a top 15 player last season you don't go from that to not being starter worthy in such a short span.

ManningToTyree
04-11-2012, 09:57 AM
If he starts getting on the boards a little more why not? Not like there are any better options for them. Amare isn't the answer either terrible rebounder.

Amare is an underachieving rebounder for his size and athleticism. He isn't terrible though

IndyRealist
04-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Melo seems to be much better in isolation at pf, but they need him to rebound if he's gonna be there full time. They'll give up too many possessions without a rebounding forward. Where's Renaldo Balkman when you need him? Oh, that's right....

FraziersKnicks
04-11-2012, 10:37 AM
How is Stoudemire not a big performer anymore? Based on one season of sub par play? Last season Stoudemire was in the running for MVP consideration for the greater part of the season but losing his starting PG didn't do him very well.

Earlier this season people were saying that Melo wasn't a top 30 player in the league because of his poor start completely ignoring his entire body of work. I've even saw someone say that Melo is on the decline at 27 (facepalm worthy). Let's Amar'e the opportunity to get himself back into rhythm before we start saying he isn't starter material anymore. He was a top 15 player last season you don't go from that to not being starter worthy in such a short span.

:clap: Exactly what I was thinking

FraziersKnicks
04-11-2012, 10:38 AM
http://hoopshype.com/columns/rosen/stoudemire-and-lin-are-superfluous

I think for the Knicks to remain competitive, Melo at PF creates a lot of mismatches, while he has the strength and rebounding ability to hold his own against most PF's. It really opened up the Knicks' game plan on Sunday.

Having both Shumpert and Fields on the perimeter definitely makes the Knicks' defense more dynamic, with two active stoppers.

Stoudemire clearly isn't a prime time performer anymore.

Fields has been an absolute liability on offense this season, he's scared to shoot the ball and he hasn't been close to his defensive self from his rookie year. Sophomore slump.

torocan
04-11-2012, 10:42 AM

Actually, I don't believe that's the issue at all in terms of whether STAT should be a starter or bench player.

Even if Amare was in MVP form, I believe he should play primarily from off the bench.

Melo plays his best at the 4. Amare plays his best at the 4. When both of them are out there together, one of them is always going to be playing out of their ideal position.

Amare is a good PNR screener. Chandler is also an excellent PNR screener. When both of them are on the floor together, you're not taking advantage of both player's screening skills.

Moving Amare to a 6th man role, playing primarily off the bench means Amare settles back into his natural role at the 4, with the option to move him to center without worrying about whether he'll get his ideal spacing, and also freeing him to be the go to screener in PNRs. It also adds size and length to the 2nd Unit (rebounding), and he gets the benefit of being the primary offensive threat against opposing 2nd Units (maximum touches).

I wouldn't want to be the 2nd Unit that had to guard Amare. Would you?

In a nutshell, you squeeze more out of Melo and more out of Amare, and you can replace Amare's spot on the starting unit with either an outside scoring threat (stretch the floor) or a stronger on ball/rotating defender, or you can put in a speed player to improve the transition game (Amare isn't exactly lightning quick).

It has nothing to do with Amare being thrown on the trash heap. The reality is Amare does a number of things very well. Unfortunately, those tend to overlap the things that Melo and Tyson Chandler do well.

Aside from that, Amare is aging and has multiple years left on his contract. Between the microsurgery on his knees and his back troubles, it makes sense for the management to manage his minutes. Hopefully that would not only improve his efficiency and lengthen his career.

Moving Amare to a bench role is no different than Kevin Garnett or Harden or Randolph playing 6th man. You actually improve both unit's efficiency.

Final Note : Isn't there a Knicks forum for this? Mods should move this thread or something.

Avenged
04-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Cool I agree, but you know the hate is gonna come no matter what... It's a Knick topic... Here they come

Yes, and this thread is opinionated more than anything else so it really belongs in the Knicks forum. There are more than enough Knicks threads created in the NBA forum, you guys feel free to use the Knicks forum.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62