PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Van Gundy angrily defends Stan

NYCkid12
04-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Today on the Michael Kay Show on ESPN NY Radio, Jeff Van Gundy gets into verbal argument mostly with co-host Don Lagreca. Personally I think Jeff is blindly defending stan but I cant say I blame him because Id do the same for my brother

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7798593

Link^^ Good listen

NYCkid12
04-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Btw If already posted just remove

Raps08-09 Champ
04-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Was he right?

PurpleJesus
04-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Its not blindly defending a sibling, Stan has been a good coach for Orlando.

TrueProdigy
04-11-2012, 01:10 AM
I for one think SVG is a Great coach. I don't think its blind defense I think its warranted

JasonJohnHorn
04-11-2012, 01:11 AM
JVG defends SVG.... clear conflict of interest here. They are not only blood brothers, but they are in the coaching brotherhood.

I think the way SVG brought it out into the open was wrong. He was clearly emotional about and justifiably frustrated, but it brought more drama than was needed. I feel bad for the situation he's in, and I am on his side and likely would have done the same thing he did even, because it would be that frustrating, but he gets paid to coach, so idealy he should just coach and let his work speak for him. And his work is just fine. So he's got nothing to worry about.

NYCkid12
04-11-2012, 01:14 AM
im actually a magic fan, and believe me I love stan...that being said I do think that Stan was wrong in this situation..there is no positive for the team for making those comments at this point in the season...also Jeff was trying to say that if stan were to lie and say dwight didnt want him fired, that that would be as bad as what bobby petrino did and THAT is blind

C_Mund
04-11-2012, 01:17 AM
JVG defends SVG.... clear conflict of interest here. They are not only blood brothers, but they are in the coaching brotherhood.

I think the way SVG brought it out into the open was wrong. He was clearly emotional about and justifiably frustrated, but it brought more drama than was needed. I feel bad for the situation he's in, and I am on his side and likely would have done the same thing he did even, because it would be that frustrating, but he gets paid to coach, so idealy he should just coach and let his work speak for him. And his work is just fine. So he's got nothing to worry about.

I'm on board with this, but -playing Devil's advocate- what if he had played dumb the whole time and ended up getting fired because of Dwight's (supposed) demands? I don't know, maybe he feels like his time in Orlando is coming to a close and he wants to go out with a bang

kenzo400
04-11-2012, 01:21 AM
JVG is the most annoying person on tv. His suggestions for changing the draft rules are some of the worst i have ever heard.

Lakeshow24KB
04-11-2012, 01:32 AM
JVG is the most annoying person on tv. His suggestions for changing the draft rules are some of the worst i have ever heard.

And he ALWAYS picks on everyone for the smallest things. But he makes commentating interesting

heyman321
04-11-2012, 01:38 AM
Just listened to it, and he's pretty much wrong on this part -- he's just defending his brother. But Stan Van Gundy should have never admitted that Dwight wanted him fired. But he is funny as hell on commentating.

macc
04-11-2012, 01:59 AM
I agree with Jeff. Granted he's backing up his brother but he's breaking it down and the radio hosts can't answere the questions. The talking heads are going to come up with a story reguardless of which way Stan took it. That's there job, Jeff was just calling them out on it. It's like they want to hear the truth, but then when they get it they complain about it. It's a no win situation for Stan.

Jeff basically says "how did Stan saying that affect his teams play" which is a valid question. It didn't affect it at all. So what is the point to even debate it? Other then it's something to talk about.

macc
04-11-2012, 02:07 AM
But in all reality there shouldn't be any "deep" debates about this. They are brothers and they're going to back each other up. Just how it is. Anyone here with a brother in the same job field would do the same, esp if it was a crazy situation like this.

naps
04-11-2012, 02:11 AM
He's right. Of-course he would be emotional and frustrated but he was not blindly defending his brother. Otis ****ed it all up. If I was the owner I would fire him long time ago.

JC_
04-11-2012, 02:20 AM
I like JVG, he's sticking up for his bro without dissing Howard.

IMO Howard is learning exactly how not to be a dumbass this year. I'm glad Stan spilled the beans about Howard wanting him fired. Dude comes up and hugs you as if he everything is peachy after he told your boss to fire you lol **** that, put it in the open. Diva players will think twice before going and saying they want coaches fired because they can't suck it up and do what's best for the team.

rapjuicer06
04-11-2012, 11:07 AM
He's right. Of-course he would be emotional and frustrated but he was not blindly defending his brother. Otis ****ed it all up. If I was the owner I would fire him long time ago.

:win:

northsid3r
04-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Like a good brotherrrr... Jeff van is there.

torocan
04-11-2012, 02:16 PM
I think JVG makes a legitimate point (and he does admit he has a bias because it's his brother AND he's a former coach).

If SVG keeps denying it, both he and the teams get asked the same questions every game all the way through the season.

If he answers it honestly, it does a few things.

From a team perspective...

1) Gets it out in the open, defusing media speculation
2) Forces the management to intervene and broker a ceasefire between Dwight and SVG (they're not going to fire him with 10 games left going into the playoffs).
3) Puts the pressure squarely on Howard's shoulders to perform. He has no excuses to underperform to get the coach fired. That will now be handled in the off season.
4) Allows the team to honestly discuss the situation and figure out what they're going to do the remainder of the season, without the distraction of the media interrogating them.
5) Gives the management an excuse to trade Dwight and retain SVG if they feel that it's the best option for the team.
6) Gives the management an excuse to fire SVG to retain Dwight if they feel it's the best option for the team.

So, this could *potentially* be a good thing. We won't know until we see how they are going to play for the rest of the season.

That said, can the Magic keep Dwight, SVG or both? No idea. I suspect alot of it depends on how they do going forward, that and whether Dwight commits to an extension.

Dwight is only signed through next year. He's made no commitments. If Dwight got SVG fired then left to another team, the Magic is screwed.

Now, Dwight will have to man up and choose. Stay, re-sign, and SVG leaves. Or ask to leave, SVG stays or goes, and they trade Howard for some pieces.

Dwight will NOT be able to play the Lebron game under these circumstances and wait for his contract to go FA. The players, coach and fans will demand that he makes a choice going into the offseason and trade deadlines.

Will this turn out well for the Magic? No idea. However, I can see the logic behind it.

In the end, the results will tell us whether it was a good choice or not.

EYDI819
04-11-2012, 02:24 PM
like the good old saying "Bros before Hoes" :D:D:D

Cfrey
04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
I agree with JVG here. I mean I only listened to about the first two minutes but we have reached a new low when you can be criticized/scrutinized for just telling the truth.