PDA

View Full Version : How Far Can the Celtics Go In The Playoffs?

Rivera
04-10-2012, 09:48 PM
before the all star break i would have said they wouldnt have even made it out the first round

now im thinking ECF maybe even represent the East in the finals.....ever since boston has put KG at C things just really clicked

how far can the Cs go?

xk4
04-10-2012, 09:50 PM
To game 7 of the finals. Like the other 15 teams.

Chronz
04-10-2012, 10:02 PM
It was a series of moves, not just KG at C, but yea I could see them returning to the Finals.

C's usually start the season strong so this was the year most of us wrote them off, but it seems they were pacing themselves this RS

Cal827
04-10-2012, 10:06 PM

This.. And this is also why the 6'10 Paul George and the Pacers have the full advantage.

Giants49ersUSC
04-10-2012, 10:09 PM
All the way baby!

Sportfan
04-10-2012, 10:13 PM
They have the style adapted for playoff basketball and have a good set 8 man rotation which is all you need. I can't see them beating the Bulls though so hopefully someone else can knock them out

D12 fan
04-10-2012, 10:27 PM

:laugh:

b@llhog24
04-10-2012, 10:28 PM
As far as the Bengay will allow them to.

Kashmir13579
04-10-2012, 10:35 PM
I'll say what i said at the beginning of the season, they can get hot at anytime and win the whole thing. Coasting into the playoffs as usual.

Most talented starting 5 pound for pound, imo, regardless of who is playing the 5.

Bos_Sports4Life
04-10-2012, 10:41 PM
2nd Rd..

They'll run into a team that will kill them on the boards and That'll be was does them in..
If Rondo keeps this up however maybe they can atleast go deep in rd 2 and make it interesting

Baller1
04-10-2012, 10:47 PM
They still have the talent and continuity to make it all the way. I don't think they will, but it's definitely possible.

finyankhawkfan
04-10-2012, 10:49 PM
As it stands, they are going to be up against a younger, more athletic Hawks team that will give them fits. And the series will be one with Atlanta having the home court advantage. If the NBA didn't stretch the playoff series out so much, I'd say the Hawks would take care of business...that being said, I think that the Celts could sneak by them. If they do, they have another couple of series before they get to the Finals. I just don't see them holding up through all of that.

As a Hawks fan, I say they don't get out of Round 1...

As an NBA fan, I could see a first round victory and a decent showing in a loss for Round 2.

DoubleDragon
04-10-2012, 10:50 PM
2nd Rd..

They'll run into a team that will kill them on the boards and That'll be was does them in..
If Rondo keeps this up however maybe they can atleast go deep in rd 2 and make it interesting

Laker fan/Celtic hater here.;)

Hate to say it, but I'll be dammed if Doc hasn't got his team playing at a dangerous level for all Eastern teams let alone the whole league. They're playing good basketball at the right time, and when those vets get some rest in the play-offs, anything's possible. Even Chicago and Miami are probably leery about playing them. That's a nasty roadblock on the way to the Eastern Finals.

Gotta give em credit, no matter how much it hurts:o
Doc's the man

h2r09
04-10-2012, 10:54 PM
was at the game tonight and they look terrific. they have to stay fully healthy though and also get the right match ups. i can definitely see them in the ECF though.

Ebbs
04-10-2012, 10:56 PM
I still think Heat vs. Thunder. But at this point Celtics would be my third ranked team heading into the playoffs.

Greet
04-10-2012, 11:35 PM
I still think Heat vs. Thunder. But at this point Celtics would be my third ranked team heading into the playoffs.

Celtics would have a better chance against the Thunder IMO. Don't think the Celtics can beat the Heat, though.

Lakers + Giants
04-10-2012, 11:55 PM
They're the lakers of the East

Bruno
04-10-2012, 11:59 PM
can they knock out Chicago or Miami? I think they could take any other other EC team in a best of seven. if rose isn't 100%, and boston is at the top of their game Chicago could get upset. boston has checked miami twice this season, including tonight?

Rio2011
04-11-2012, 12:33 AM
The Celtics will not be going to the Finals! You can quote me on that, come on people wake up. Lets all meet here when the playoffs or reality begin.

Sinestro
04-11-2012, 12:52 AM
I'd love to see a Boston vs. New York first round however unlikely that is

xk4
04-11-2012, 12:53 AM
The Celtics will not be going to the Finals! You can quote me on that, come on people wake up. Lets all meet here when the playoffs or reality begin.

Who outside of Dallas picked the Mavs to win it last year? Everybody said Lakers/Heat final, and they were all wrong

Boston isn't a favorite to win it, but if this season has proven anything it's that weird **** can happen

hail2skins4life
04-11-2012, 01:07 AM
im a lakers fan. and the celtics are playing out of their mind right now. i think they are the best team when they play their best. especially rondo.

i see another celtics lakers finals

Super.
04-11-2012, 01:11 AM
As it stands, they are going to be up against a younger, more athletic Hawks team that will give them fits. And the series will be one with Atlanta having the home court advantage. If the NBA didn't stretch the playoff series out so much, I'd say the Hawks would take care of business...that being said, I think that the Celts could sneak by them. If they do, they have another couple of series before they get to the Finals. I just don't see them holding up through all of that.

As a Hawks fan, I say they don't get out of Round 1...

As an NBA fan, I could see a first round victory and a decent showing in a loss for Round 2.

The Celtics have already beaten the Hawks once this season, we'll really see Wednesday night how each team matches up. Horford may be back for the playoffs, but he's already said he won't be 100% if he does.

With Bradley and Rondo playin shutdown D, I can't see JJ going off like usual, leaving JSmoove to take most of the offensive load.

Celtics would have a better chance against the Thunder IMO. Don't think the Celtics can beat the Heat, though.

Yeah, like tonight right? or last week?

:rolleyes:

JasonJohnHorn
04-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Its like Rudy T said: Never underestimate the heart of a champion.
Lets be real. Yes they are old, but they know how to win, and if they are hitting their stride at the same time, they can win it all. Will it happen? I would guess not, because they have a gapping hole at center right now, but so did Jordan's Bulls.

All I know is I'm excited for the playoffs!

Super.
04-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Its like Rudy T said: Never underestimate the heart of a champion.
Lets be real. Yes they are old, but they know how to win, and if they are hitting their stride at the same time, they can win it all. Will it happen? I would guess not, because they have a gapping hole at center right now, but so did Jordan's Bulls.

All I know is I'm excited for the playoffs!

KG has been playing his best basketball in two years, playing the C since JO and Wilcox both got hurt

TheWhiteMamba
04-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Id be shocked if they made it past the 2nd round.

blastmasta26
04-11-2012, 07:21 AM
2nd Rd..

Yeah, they've been playing fantastic ball and disproved my doubts about them, but I can't see them getting past Chicago because of rebounding. They will be a threat in the playoffs though.

celtNYpatsHeels
04-11-2012, 09:39 AM
If Pietrus can come back 100% healthy I can see the C's getting to the finals.

Chicago is the toughest matchup for them in the East simply because of their size. They definitely struggle if all of the Bulls big men are healthy.

I think out west that OKC and LAL would be tough matchups for the same reason.

C's have heart. They have closers. They play defense. They have playoff experience. They have a top 3-4 coach. Their vets are on their last run to glory. All are good traits for a deep run

todu82
04-11-2012, 09:58 AM
I can see them winning it all, the team is getting hot at the right point of the season.

ManningToTyree
04-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Ecf

PHX2daDEATH
04-11-2012, 10:20 AM
They are the only team in the East that I can see beating both the Bulls and the Heat in consecutive rounds.. Chicago because I think Rose's injury is worse then we all think.. Miami because it seems like the Heat are struggling and the Celtics are thriving.. plus you add the playoff experience..and its greater in Boston then Chicago or Miami..

FraziersKnicks
04-11-2012, 10:40 AM
I just don't see them beating the Bulls or Heat in a 7 game series. They beat the Heat today, but they literally couldn't miss a thing. With the Heat turning their D up a notch in the playoffs, they're not gonna be giving up 115 to one of the older teams in the league. I do think the C's could surprise a few people though.. Or maybe not considering people are rating them quite highly now.

torocan
04-11-2012, 10:45 AM
I consider the Celtics to be the Dark horse in the East.

As I've said in other threads, when you got Doc + a boat load of veterans, you can't count them out. Just like you never count Kobe and the Laker's out.

You just can't replace the experience of vet loaded rosters.

Still, they're nowhere near the favorites... they'll need more than a bit of luck to take the East.

Celticsfan2007
04-11-2012, 11:24 AM
The Celtics can beat any team in the league when they are clicking.

The biggest problem the C's will have is versus sized frontcourts (CHI, LAL, OKC, ORL)

People tend to forget that this team is last in the NBA in rebounding. Part of this is due to the slow half-court game they play, but they really don't have many good re bounders outside of KG.

alexander_37
04-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Until they lose a 7 game series.

Missing56&33
04-11-2012, 11:44 AM
They are playing great basketball right now. I like that Steimsma kid. I think the Celts just won the Atlantic with that win last night. They made a statement

JordansBulls
04-11-2012, 11:48 AM
before the all star break i would have said they wouldnt have even made it out the first round

now im thinking ECF maybe even represent the East in the finals.....ever since boston has put KG at C things just really clicked

how far can the Cs go?

The Celtics now can't beat the Bulls or Lakers in a series for whatever reason but they can beat anyone else. They just can't handle those teams on the boards.

danniboi168
04-11-2012, 12:05 PM
they were good yesterday. scary and different team from the beg of season.

thekmp211
04-11-2012, 12:11 PM
feels a lot like 2010. several key changes

kg to center has been good, but bass in the starting lineup is the big difference. he has been solid.

emergence of a. bradley takes the defense back to its championship level days

pierce played himself into shape this year, but has been fantastic post all star.

rondo has been the best passer in the league and is running this offense, composed almost entirely of aging jump shooters, running in pristine fashion, as well as clamping down opposing ones.

this roster always succeeded w/ elite defense and methodical offense. they have reemerged as the third contender in this field.

they could absolutely take the east.

Corey
04-11-2012, 12:15 PM
they have been one of the best teams since the all-star break.

That being said, they'll be eliminated in the second round.

j-bay
04-11-2012, 12:32 PM
they been kicking the heat's *** lately. wouldn't be surprised if they made it to the finals.

Stinkyoutsider
04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
As long as their core stays healty, I think the Celtics will do serious damage. Possibly getting out of the 2nd round. The Celtics 8 man rotation probably is as good as anyone's right now. Avery Bradley is playing great as a combo guard, Bass is solid, and the future hall of famers are in knocking down shots.

Wouldn't it be funny if they knocked out the Knicks again for the 2nd year in a row? Man, I bet Amare would be ****** off...

torocan
04-11-2012, 01:39 PM
As long as their core stays healty, I think the Celtics will do serious damage. Possibly getting out of the 2nd round. The Celtics 8 man rotation probably is as good as anyone's right now. Avery Bradley is playing great as a combo guard, Bass is solid, and the future hall of famers are in knocking down shots.

Wouldn't it be funny if they knocked out the Knicks again for the 2nd year in a row? Man, I bet Amare would be ****** off...

It would be annoying, but would be worth it if they knocked out the Heat and Bulls (not to mention amazing).

Imagine the handwringing if the Championships ended up being Memphis/Celtics.... I think some of the sub-forums would implode.

AIRMAR72
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
it depends on rondo

Celticsfan2007
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
they have been one of the best teams since the all-star break.

That being said, they'll be eliminated in the second round.

Your glass is half empty... :sigh:

Celticsfan2007
04-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Imagine the handwringing if the Championships ended up being Memphis/Celtics.... I think some of the sub-forums would implode.

I think the Lakers/Heat forum might implode.... :laugh2:

Cool007
04-11-2012, 05:34 PM
I just don't see how Celtics can beat the Bulls in a 7-game series.

Rondo would be great vs all other teams but I don't see that happening vs Rose and Bulls.

Not to mention, Bulls players genuinely hate some of the celtics players. Thibs also knows all the plays that Celtics run. Celtics' main concern is rebounding and Bulls are #1 in that department.

So I just don't see them beating the Bulls.

69centers
04-11-2012, 05:39 PM
With Rose's injuries, I feel the Heat and Celtics should be the best odds of coming out of the East.

The Bulls look good without Rose in the regular season, but the playoffs are a different story. With Rose in a walking boot a few weeks before the playoffs begin, I'd say there is a good bet that he won't be 100%. That's not good for Bulls fans.

xk4
04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Thibs also knows all the plays that Celtics run.

They only run a few plays, every team should know them by now

Rondo is the only thing that's unpredictable about the C's offense

DITKA4GOV
04-12-2012, 09:15 AM
They couldn't win a series against the Bulls or Heat in my opinion. They have been great this 2nd half, but I just don't believe they could pull of a major upset

thekmp211
04-12-2012, 10:10 AM
no one has given a reason WHY they can't beat miami or chicago.

based on the second half of the season, anyone care to provide some evidence for the fact that boston will just hit a magical wall against miami, a team they have annihilated twice in two weeks, and chicago, a team with questions surrounding the health of its one and only star?

its not like this is the hawks. dem boys in boston know how to walk the walk, and it's clear that the old guys are not running on fumes yet. this whole conversation might seem silly if rondo doesn't get hurt against miami last year.

just curious. not saying they will, but they definitely can.

Sportfan
04-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Nah Chicago will beat us probs. too much size and rose will go off no matter what.

thekmp211
04-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Nah Chicago will beat us probs. too much size and rose will go off no matter what.

that's a start. although the gap has been closed i contend with bass and stiemsma providing some solid depth. rose going off is not a foregone conclusion if the kid isn't healthy.

but even then, the "too much size" reason has been peddled to the point of platitude this season. is critical thinking too much to ask for people? it's like no one is comfortable with changing their opinions that were formed 5 months ago.

Celticsfan2007
04-12-2012, 10:38 AM
no one has given a reason WHY they can't beat miami or chicago.

based on the second half of the season, anyone care to provide some evidence for the fact that boston will just hit a magical wall against miami, a team they have annihilated twice in two weeks, and chicago, a team with questions surrounding the health of its one and only star?

its not like this is the hawks. dem boys in boston know how to walk the walk, and it's clear that the old guys are not running on fumes yet. this whole conversation might seem silly if rondo doesn't get hurt against miami last year.

just curious. not saying they will, but they definitely can.

I can only speak for fans around here, but...

Boston fans are notoriously pessimistic. You won't find very many Boston fan's in here claiming victory over the Heat or the Bulls.

Most fans of other contenders will not be willing to admit their own team can be beaten by a bunch of old vets... so that leave about ZERO support for the Celtics...

As much as I love the intelligence of the Boston fan-base, they will never be the type to gloriously and blindly root for their home team, unless they are the hands-down favorites in a specific sport.

thekmp211
04-12-2012, 10:47 AM
I can only speak for fans around here, but...

Boston fans are notoriously pessimistic. You won't find very many Boston fan's in here claiming victory over the Heat or the Bulls.

Most fans of other contenders will not be willing to admit their own team can be beaten by a bunch of old vets... so that leave about ZERO support for the Celtics...

As much as I love the intelligence of the Boston fan-base, they will never be the type to gloriously and blindly root for their home team, unless they are the hands-down favorites in a specific sport.

i mean i'm not claiming victory. but we can see good basketball when it happens, and its not like these guys haven't succeeded before.

just saying they won't beat the presumptive "favorites" "just because" is lazy and disappointing for a supposed basketball discussion forum. boston is the only eastern conference contender with a ring as currently constructed.

ChicagoJ
04-12-2012, 11:04 AM
I don't think the Celtics make it to the finals, but it's possible for them to get to the ECF. The series I really want to see them in is vs the heat. The celtics may be the worst matchup for the heat so that would be a great series.

xk4
04-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Celtics can beat the Bulls, they have better odds if Rose it out

Celtics can beat the Heat in a regular series because the whole team is mentally soft.

Will they? Who knows

AIRMAR72
04-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Celtics can beat the Heat in a regular series because the whole team is mentally soft.

Will they? Who knows

Avery WILL lockdown Rose, Boston will sealed the paint no lane for Rose to drive forcing him to take Js knowing he miss more shots garnet will take noah away from the paint Paul(OLD WINE) and deng are evenly match bass undersize but plays with effort and energy rondo with his Joe Montana vision and John Stockton IQ WILL get done job against the bulls if he stays healthy

Celticsfan2007
04-12-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't think the Celtics make it to the finals, but it's possible for them to get to the ECF. The series I really want to see them in is vs the heat. The celtics may be the worst matchup for the heat so that would be a great series.

Oh how quickly the Heat fanbase has forgotten that they got the play versus a Celtics team with Rondo only playing with one arm...

I can't wait to see what the C's can do with a healthy squad that is clicking like they are, right now.

Clocian
04-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Will they? Who knows

how you figure? bulls are the best rebounding team in the league by a good amount, while boston are the worst. That alone will screw with the celtics, let alone when you add in rose and the bulls offense in general. IF the celtics pull the upset, it would def. be against the heat. honestly celtics are probably the best matchup for the bulls out of ALL playoff teams in the east atm.

Celticsfan2007
04-12-2012, 03:18 PM
how you figure? bulls are the best rebounding team in the league by a good amount, while boston are the worst. That alone will screw with the celtics, let alone when you add in rose and the bulls offense in general. IF the celtics pull the upset, it would def. be against the heat. honestly celtics are probably the best matchup for the bulls out of ALL playoff teams in the east atm.

I'll agree that the Bulls likely propose the toughest match-up for the Celtics, but if you think that we are the most favorable opponent to face you out of the 76ers, Knicks, Pacers, Hawks, Orl than you are just plain naive.

Fun fact: The Celtics as currently constructed, are the only team to win an NBA championship in the eastern conference.