PDA

View Full Version : Rays: 100 wins this season. Possible?

lol, please
04-10-2012, 03:29 PM
This is already in discussion in another thread, but there is no poll there. It would at least be interesting to see the results. Other than Jeffy I haven't seen anyone even considering the possibility.

Jeffy25
04-10-2012, 03:30 PM
If you are going to make the thread, at least word it correctly.

I edited the thread question to ask are the Rays 'capable' of winning 100 games this season.

Because that is the only argument I have made, I have not said they will win 100 games.

sexicano31
04-10-2012, 03:30 PM
It would be extremely difficult. I see it happening if everything goes their way

lol, please
04-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Edit it then :shrug: I don't know how to phrase it any simpler.

SportsAndrew25
04-10-2012, 03:32 PM
They will be a contender but with the Yankees and Red Sox in the same division there is no way that they can win 100 games.

RTL
04-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Yes, it is possible. They have so much pitching to keep them afloat and make a trade at the deadline.

FortDetroit
04-10-2012, 03:34 PM
No way playing in the AL East with two other 90 win caliber teams plus a team in the Blue Jays that is pretty dang good too.

Jeffy25
04-10-2012, 03:40 PM
I'll restate the argument from the other thread.

They are a top 10 offensive team in baseball, they were 8th best at hitting last year by wOBA and wRC+, but they had the worst average with runners in scoring position, something that they can't sustain.

Yet they still managed a pythogeroan record of 91-71 despite that bad average with runners in scoring position.

They had the best rotation ERA in the AL, and a middle of the road bullpen. They did lose Farnsworth, but have plenty of capable of arms to replace him.

The rotation is giving starts from Neimann/Davis to Moore, and Hellickson is a regression candidate in terms of ERA that should also improve dramatically over his periphs.

Longo and Price had career worst seasons, on a 91 win team. Longo because of an early injury, and Price actually pitched better than he did in 2010, but had less luck. He is a potential Cy Young candidate.

James Shields might regress slightly.

Carlos Pena is better than Casey Kotchman
Luke Scott is better than Johnny Damon
Full year out of Desmond Jennings, and the whole team is a year older.

And they haven't started this season out in a 0-6 hole like they did last year, which if that 0-6 hole is erased, they went 91-65 (.583) which would make them a 95 win team that is arguably better this year.

And they won 96 games the year before.

I don't see how they aren't capable, they clearly are. It might not happen, but they are clearly capable of doing it. I wouldn't even say it's probable (because it isn't) but the question asked is are they capable, which they clearly are.

fadedmario
04-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Not in that division. Besides, two days from now they will be 3-3.

Nymfan87
04-10-2012, 03:48 PM
I voted no even though technically the answer is yes. Are they capable? Sure. So are the Pirates or any other team in baseball. Will they? No.

Twitchy
04-10-2012, 04:17 PM
The Yankees won 97 games last year and are still a better team than the Rays are. So if you think the Rays are a 100 win team, that means you think there will be two 100 win teams.

It's not going to happen. I like the Rays as the second best team in the AL, but there isn't a 100 win team in the AL. It's too balanced (outside of the Central) for that too happen.

Jeffy25
04-10-2012, 04:21 PM
The Yankees won 97 games last year and are still a better team than the Rays are. So if you think the Rays are a 100 win team, that means you think there will be two 100 win teams.

It's not going to happen. I like the Rays as the second best team in the AL, but there isn't a 100 win team in the AL. It's too balanced (outside of the Central) for that too happen.

I don't have any problem with the argument that it's too balanced for there to be a 100 game winner.

But I don't necessarily think the Rays are going to automatically be beat by the Yankees (just beat them three straight). I think they could win the AL East this year, but I agree the Yankees are the better team overall.

Last year I said the Rays were a '85-90 win team', and they topped that projection too. I think 100 wins is reachable, but not probable.

ebbucsfan
04-10-2012, 04:21 PM

Explain? The Rays just beat them 3 straight times.

Nymfan87
04-10-2012, 04:23 PM

:confused: you're kidding right? There were times when the Rays were a 70 win team and the Yankees were a 100 win team and they'd sweep the Yankees. Just because a team wins in baseball doesn't mean it's because they're better than the other team.

Twitchy
04-10-2012, 04:41 PM

It's almost like there's 162 games or something. Winning 3 games in April doesn't prove much when they're going to face each other 16 more times.

Iodine
04-10-2012, 04:44 PM
The O's are winning 150 so.......

mtf
04-10-2012, 04:46 PM
"Are the Rays Capable of Winning 100 games this year?"

Yes. That starting pitching staff is remarkable. I'm predicting 90-93 wins for Tampa this year, but they're definitely capable of more with a bit of luck and a lot of consistency. The top-5 in their line-up look better than last years as well.

Bo Sox Fan
04-10-2012, 05:08 PM
What a short sighted thread. If the Rays got swept by NY would there be a thread questioning the Rays playoff chances?

If my Red Sox started this season 2-10 again I would still feel comfortable about there playoff chances seeing how they played from May straight through to August.

Bottom line, there's 4 very good teams in the AL East that are going to take their turns beating on each other making it virtually impossible for any of the 4 to reach 100 wins. It's just not gonna happen.

kmo429
04-10-2012, 05:33 PM
No. They have some very good pitchers, but I look at there roster and dont even know how theyll get 90, but tey somehow shock me every year so they very well may do it again.

Jeffy25
04-10-2012, 05:34 PM
What a short sighted thread. If the Rays got swept by NY would there be a thread questioning the Rays playoff chances?

If my Red Sox started this season 2-10 again I would still feel comfortable about there playoff chances seeing how they played from May straight through to August.

Bottom line, there's 4 very good teams in the AL East that are going to take their turns beating on each other making it virtually impossible for any of the 4 to reach 100 wins. It's just not gonna happen.

Didn't you post in the other thread that brought this thread to existence?

This has nothing to do with the Rays start to the season.

BBB
04-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Nope, Detroit has a better chance.

NYKnicks4511
04-10-2012, 05:37 PM
C'mon now... they're the Rays... They're a wild card team.

Mell413
04-10-2012, 06:03 PM
It's possible, but the odds are stacked against them. They play in a tough division and I can see the top 4 teams beating themselves up.

Capital G
04-10-2012, 06:08 PM
capabale? yes we are.

will we? no. we have a great club but i dont think our O will not be consistent enough to win 100. it also makes it tough when you play in a division with the sox/yanks/BJs.

i still think we win the east.

Webslinger
04-10-2012, 07:04 PM
They don't have the offense, and their pitching, while very good, is nowhere near as good as it needs to be to make up for their hitting.

Stash
04-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I think they are capable of it, but I don't think they will do it. A lot of things would have to break right for it to happen.

Jeffy25
04-10-2012, 07:24 PM
They don't have the offense, and their pitching, while very good, is nowhere near as good as it needs to be to make up for their hitting.

They were the 8th best offensive team in baseball last year, and they had the second best defense.

.320 wOBA and a 103 wRC+

They walk more than anybody other than the Yankees and while they may not carry a high batting average, they have power and get on base.

Their issue last year was driving in guys with 2 outs and RISP (they were the worst in baseball) and that shouldn't remain the same.

And of course, the improvements they made going from Kotchman to Pena and Damon to Scott is only going to help.

Their offense should be around 7th-10th best again this year with awesome defense and a top 3 rotation, and maybe a back of the ranking bullpen to average.

"Ace"ves
04-10-2012, 07:24 PM
As of now, all teams are capable of 100 wins.

The Rays are more probable than the Jays and Orioles... but Id say the Red Sox and Yankees are just as likely to reach 100 wins.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this thread... I thought it was commonly accepted that the Rays are a legitimate team after the run they made last year after losing Crawford, Bartlett, Soriano, etc.

I have this crazy feeling it's due to their 3-0 start... which is now 3-1... funny how the start of the season effects people.

akagiredsuns
04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Wow really? Already talking 100 wins 5 games into the season? How about after the All-Star break when the projection seems more realistic. The Rays swept the Yankees. Great. They have to play 16 more times. The Tigers swept the Red Sox too. Does that mean the Tigers will win 100 games? Even if they are not in the same division an opening series doesn't determine who will dominate. The O's & Pirates start out hot at times before fizzling into 90 losses. IBC /thread :facepalm:

Jeffy25
04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Wow really? Already talking 100 wins 5 games into the season? How about after the All-Star break when the projection seems more realistic. The Rays swept the Yankees. Great. They have to play 16 more times. The Tigers swept the Red Sox too. Does that mean the Tigers will win 100 games? Even if they are not in the same division an opening series doesn't determine who will dominate. The O's & Pirates start out hot at times before fizzling into 90 losses. IBC /thread :facepalm:

This thread was made because of a discussion in another thread.

It has nothing to do with the Rays/Yankees series

Nomar
04-10-2012, 08:08 PM
They will stop hitting

mtf
04-10-2012, 10:53 PM
As of now, all teams are capable of 100 wins.

This isn't talking about the mathematical possibility. :rolleyes:

The Mets are 4-0 but I doubt anyone would think they're realistically capable of 100 wins.

The Rays are more probable than the Jays and Orioles... but Id say the Red Sox and Yankees are just as likely to reach 100 wins.

You think the Red Sox are as likely as the Yankees or Rays? After Lester, their pitching looks pretty sketchy.

Mr Haha
04-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Yes. Scary rotation. Great manager. They will make the playoffs this year. The Red Sox won't have it this year. They will take the division.

LASportsFan1996
04-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Capable Yes, Probable No

Pinstripe pride
04-11-2012, 09:18 AM
very big distinction between teh question and answers i think. the answer is most certianly yes, they COULD win 100. The probally won't, but the very well could. hope to god they dont though

"Ace"ves
04-11-2012, 09:27 AM
This isn't talking about the mathematical possibility. :rolleyes:

The Mets are 4-0 but I doubt anyone would think they're realistically capable of 100 wins.

You think the Red Sox are as likely as the Yankees or Rays? After Lester, their pitching looks pretty sketchy.

Way to not quote everything I said. I said everyone is capable, but the Rays are more probable.

Wasting my time now.

And yes the Red Sox are as likely. It's way too early to assume they have no shot. You think the Yankee rotation is amazing? It's overrated IMO. We'll see though, that's why you watch the season, always a chance for the Red Sox to acquire someone or have a rookie step up.

TheRuckus
04-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Besides, two days from now they will be 3-3.

Swing and a miss.

mtf
04-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Way to not quote everything I said. I said everyone is capable, but the Rays are more probable.

Wasting my time now.

And yes the Red Sox are as likely. It's way too early to assume they have no shot. You think the Yankee rotation is amazing? It's overrated IMO. We'll see though, that's why you watch the season, always a chance for the Red Sox to acquire someone or have a rookie step up.

No, actually I think the Yankees rotation is quite pedestrian also. I happen to believe the Yankees rotation is currently 3rd in the AL East, well ahead of Boston who I'd put at 4th. But I also think the Yankees lineup is far superior to the Red Sox and that's the main difference.

YEDN90
04-11-2012, 05:19 PM
No.

Love their starting pitching, but I expect growing pains as well as a Shields regression.

Not fond of their pen.

Their offense will stop hitting and isn't very good.

flea
04-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Of course they're capable of 100 wins. Is it likely to happen? No. But, and this will be controversial given the prevalence of Sox and Yanks fans around here, I think they've got the best chance of any AL East team to do it. They've probably got the best pitching in the majors, a very good offense, and the farm system to patch up any deficiencies this summer.

BrianWestKins
04-11-2012, 05:34 PM
No

bcrn1
04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
of course they can

they have 7 guys in their line up capable of hitting 20+ home runs and they get on base at an above average rate

excellent base running team. best manager in baseball. by far best defense in baseball. arguably the best rotation in baseball.

the bull pen is the obvious Achilles heel, but maddon is so good managing his pitchers I hardy worry about it. not to mention this is the same team that made soriano, benoit and farnsworth into all-star caliber relievers.

"Ace"ves
04-11-2012, 07:35 PM
No, actually I think the Yankees rotation is quite pedestrian also. I happen to believe the Yankees rotation is currently 3rd in the AL East, well ahead of Boston who I'd put at 4th. But I also think the Yankees lineup is far superior to the Red Sox and that's the main difference.

Well we agree rotation wise and Id say overall Yankees have a stronger lineup than the Red Sox.

But I think the Red Sox have enough talent to make a 100-game win run. Not to say they have the BEST chance out of the three AL East teams, but that they can.

Twitchy
04-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Well we agree rotation wise and Id say overall Yankees have a stronger lineup than the Red Sox.

But I think the Red Sox have enough talent to make a 100-game win run. Not to say they have the BEST chance out of the three AL East teams, but that they can.

I'd agree that they have a chance but that requires that TB Toronto and NYY have 17 of their current 25 men on the roster on the D/L.

The Red Sox have significantly less talent than they've had in years. The rotation is a lot weaker and with significantly more question marks. The bullpen is sadly Aceves, Melancon and friends while the lineup gets very shallow after Youkilis. Especially with CC out for a while. Any combination of Ross, Sweeney, McDonald, Salty, Shoppach, Aviles and Punto can be seen occupying the bottom four spots in the lineup.

Above average team, sure, but I'd say it's even worse to suggest the Sox can make a 100 win run than the Rays. Hell I feel like 92 wins would be pushing it for the Sox.

nr19
04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
I think they can be really close to 100. They're a fantastic ball club with crazy pitching depth that will be strong all season long.

It will be tough but if they stay healthy(Longoria, Zobrist, Pena) they will have an impressive record for sure.

BluejaysFan08
04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Possible? Yes.
Will it happen? No.

"Ace"ves
04-12-2012, 01:21 AM
I'd agree that they have a chance but that requires that TB Toronto and NYY have 17 of their current 25 men on the roster on the D/L.

The Red Sox have significantly less talent than they've had in years. The rotation is a lot weaker and with significantly more question marks. The bullpen is sadly Aceves, Melancon and friends while the lineup gets very shallow after Youkilis. Especially with CC out for a while. Any combination of Ross, Sweeney, McDonald, Salty, Shoppach, Aviles and Punto can be seen occupying the bottom four spots in the lineup.

Above average team, sure, but I'd say it's even worse to suggest the Sox can make a 100 win run than the Rays. Hell I feel like 92 wins would be pushing it for the Sox.

Idk... I definitely see how the Red Sox are more flawed than the Yanks and Rays, but I think 100 is still within reach. Maybe I'm giving them more credit than they deserve, but I honestly believe they'll make a strong case for 95+ wins, making 100 possible.

But hey, I understand why you'd say no... thats why id rank them below the Rays and Yanks, but I think they have enough talent

ShinobiNYC
04-12-2012, 11:10 AM
- Capable? Yes
- Will they do it? No. Their offense is still too average(even with the addition of Carlos Peņa who will help) and I don't trust their bullpen in a long season. And it's the AL East like many said.

That being said their SP is so good I have them at 97-65(assuming they don't have too many injury concerns).

Shamrock
04-12-2012, 11:36 AM
I say No. They are in way too hard of a division to pull off 100 wins or more.

nycsports2
04-12-2012, 11:49 AM
def possible i dont think they will however... i have them in the 95-100 range same with yanks... that div is so serious i feel bad for O's and the jays there not bad teams just stuck behind powerhouses

JermanJaysFan
04-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Capable? Sure, if everything breaks right for them.

Likely? Hell no.

es0terik
04-12-2012, 12:13 PM
def possible i dont think they will however... i have them in the 95-100 range same with yanks... that div is so serious i feel bad for O's and the jays there not bad teams just stuck behind powerhouses

This is why I want our team to win so friggin badly, so that people stop giving us this pity garbage. Some of us actually like being in this division. You have to beat the best to be the best and if we can't beat the Red Sox, Rays and Yankees, we don't deserve the championship anyways. So please people, spare us the pity and the "feel sorry for you"s.

JermanJaysFan
04-12-2012, 12:14 PM
This is why I want our team to win so friggin badly, so that people stop giving us this pity garbage. Some of us actually like being in this division. You have to beat the best to be the best and if we can't beat the Red Sox, Rays and Yankees, we don't deserve the championship anyways. So please people, spare us the pity and the "feel sorry for you"s.
I'm with ya 100%.

There's no division I'd rather be in than the AL East.

JDIsMyGod23
04-12-2012, 12:34 PM
If Nats pitch Strasburg 200 innings, Bryce Harper OPS's 900 when he's called up, Werth has a Phillies' type season, Morse hits 45 homers, Zimmerman hits .320, Espinosa OBP's 360, Jackson and Gonzalez have 200 IP with ERAs under 3.25, and Brad Lidge pitches like he's 28 again, the Nationals are capable of 100 wins too!

WadeKobe
04-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I think they win the East. No doubts in my mind. That's all I'll say on the issue.

Il Mago50
04-12-2012, 09:22 PM
No chance with that division.

That being said, I'd really like the Orioles to lose 125 games or something ridiculous like that, Matt Wieters actually changes his name after season so that kids that wiki that season don't associate him with it.

koreancabbage
04-12-2012, 09:55 PM
in any other division, yes they are- in the AL EAST, 90 wins equals 100+ wins metaphorically lol

nithanyo
04-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Rays have a better chance than anyone in the AL east cus they're the only ones with a complete rotation. Its gonna come down to their offense. If they can bail the pitchers out in the low scoring games sure why not

The SF Giant
04-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Absolutely. There's no better team in baseball.

koldjerky
04-13-2012, 05:18 AM
Absolutely. There's no better team in baseball.

Detroit might want to talk to you. This is coming from a pretty big Rays fan as well too.

Halladay
04-13-2012, 05:51 AM

Feel bad for the Jays? yeah...we don't want your pity. Best farm in baseball. The Jays are taking the same path as Tampa difference is, we have the richest owner in baseball, capable of outspending anyone if they wanted to.

The SF Giant
04-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Detroit might want to talk to you. This is coming from a pretty big Rays fan as well too.

Detroit is overrated.

flea
04-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Detroit has a mediocre rotation, a mediocre bullpen, a below average outfield, and an awful defense. Even in that poor division they won't win 100.

mariner4life
04-14-2012, 10:15 PM
For me the rays over and under number for won games is 90. They have a very slim chance at winning 100 but with key injuries they also have a slim chance of only winning 80 as well.

zookman65
04-16-2012, 12:04 AM
I would think this question would be more applicable to the most talented team in the league: Texas Rangers

papipapsmanny
04-16-2012, 12:41 AM
no the rays defnitely are not capable

there bullpen is meh, and there Offense isn't that good

Longoria is really the only one that scares me, Pena is good for HRs, but he is gonna K a lot and hit for a low average

FortDetroit
04-17-2012, 11:04 PM
It's obviously ridiculously early in the season but they'd better get their pitching straightened out.

lol, please
05-22-2012, 03:36 AM
Anyone change their minds yet?

Jeffy25
05-22-2012, 03:56 AM
Anyone change their minds yet?

There aren't really any projections that show it as something they are probable to do.

But the original question, CAN they? Yes, of course, absolutely.

But they still are not likely.

Baseball Prospectus - 89-73
Pythogeran Record Projection - 89-73
Tango Projection Method - 87-75
Overall Pace - 97-65

It isn't very likely, but it's obviously possible.

They have shown they are a pretty good team, again.

Jeffy25
05-22-2012, 03:57 AM
Jays btw, are better than their records indicate.

Nips
05-23-2012, 10:44 PM
They should have no problem winning high 80's low 90's

They have the best manager in baseball

And a deep, deep farm team

They just beat the Jays without Longoria, Rodriquez, Jennings etc and a bunch of farm team players they plugged in...

That's what seperates the Rays from the Red Sox

Rays don't whine about injuries

They just plug in no names and continue to win

Mitchell133
05-23-2012, 10:56 PM
They should have no problem winning high 80's low 90's

They have the best manager in baseball

And a deep, deep farm team

They just beat the Jays without Longoria, Rodriquez, Jennings etc and a bunch of farm team players they plugged in...

That's what seperates the Rays from the Red Sox

Rays don't whine about injuries

They just plug in no names and continue to win

You're underestimating the significance of James Shields. Oh and Romero allowed 7 walks today, like wtf.

benzni
05-23-2012, 11:08 PM
They need Longo back to help them win 100

mtf
05-24-2012, 03:13 AM
Jays btw, are better than their records indicate.

it'd be so nice if their record could start reflecting how good they are :p

Pinstripe pride
05-24-2012, 09:51 AM
rays are good at baseball

lol, please
05-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Bumped.

TrueYankee
05-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Who gives a crap whether it's the white sox, rays, orioles, red sox, Yankees, the entire god damn MLB on which team could win 100 games. They ALL have a chance but the probabilities of MOST of them is IMPROBABLE. And with each division virtually more competitive than the year before I wouldn't be surprised to see ANY TEAM win 100 games.

Jeffy25
05-30-2012, 07:08 PM
On May 22nd
26-18

Baseball Prospectus - 89-73
Pythogeran Record Projection - 89-73
Tango Projection Method - 87-75
Overall Pace - 97-65

On May 30th - Current Record - 29-22

Baseball Prospectus - 87-75 (67.3% playoff odds)
Pythagorean Projected Record - 85-77
Tango Projection Method - 86-76
Overall Projection Rate - 94-68

FortDetroit
07-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Assuming they end up losing today (down by 1 in the 8th) the Rays have to go 56-20 over the remainder of the season to reach 100 wins.

They are currently on pace for 83 wins.

metswon69
07-08-2012, 03:58 PM
They can't hit especially with Longoria out of the lineup.

That division is so evenly spread out past the Yankees that they all just beat up on each other essentially.

FortDetroit
07-08-2012, 04:01 PM
They can't hit especially with Longoria out of the lineup.

That division is so evenly spread out past the Yankees that they all just beat up on each other essentially.

Yep. That's what most people were saying before the season as well which is why 100 wins for the Rays was improbable to begin with.

ichitownclowni
07-08-2012, 04:25 PM
This was wrong