PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Jays Fans ruining the Experience of Opening Day?

Mile High Champ
04-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Hey guys, I went down to the game last night with about 20 people. My wife's cousin had managed to get a bunch of seats for the game in the OF. I was enjoying myself for most of the game and then things started to get bad near the end. Around the 7th, you could tell people were drunk off their ***. There were people screaming at the top of their lungs, swearing out loud, spilling their beer on other people etc. I was disgraced once again by the display of some of these "apparent" jays’ fans who are not there to enjoy the game or support the jays but simply to get hammered and act like idiots. I myself had a few brews but I did not drink like I was in first year university. It blows my mind how many fans show disrespect to the others around them.

On the way home (Yonge subway line headed toward Finch) after the game, 3 drunk Jays were swearing excessively on the subway and being a disruption to everyone around them. One gentleman had his 8 or 9 year old son with him and had to put up with these idiots the whole time as they continued to drop one F bomb after another. He did not want to say anything I don't think due to his small stature and not wanting to draw confrontation with these 3 idiots. One of these 3 drunken Jays fan than took things to a new level. He poured his popcorn from the game all over one of his friends and in the process ended up covering the older woman sitting beside his buddy. The one drunken idiot started picking the popcorn off the woman and the woman simply told the guys that they should act their age and stop being a disturbance on the train to others. The 3 Jays fans started to than verbally abuse the woman. Saying I paid to be on the train and I could do what I wanted. It got to the point where I tried to step in before the yellow panic strip was pushed to alert the transit authorities. The guys than jumped off the train at the next stop like cowards instead of facing the ramifications of their actions.

So as it stands, I will deeply disappointed by some of the fans in our great city and more disappointed in the drunken Jays fans I encountered on the subway. This is something that is nothing new to me as last year’s opener was a complete mess and at times this year was no better.

I wish people would just grow up.

Signed

A fan sick of this garbage.

AA09-?
04-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Very well said...and I couldn't agree more.

KaiserSose
04-10-2012, 09:15 AM
I thought this was going to be a post about Andrew Stoeten's blog or something. Not to worry for about 30,000 of them, they wont see another game this year.

nithanyo
04-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Dont worry they only come to opening day

Bombtista
04-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Every city has its fair share of drunks. If they wanna spend the 100 dollars required to get drunk at the Rogers centre all the power to them.

AA09-?
04-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Every city has its fair share of drunks. If they wanna spend the 100 dollars required to get drunk at the Rogers centre all the power to them.

That doesn't give them the right to be abusive to people and disturb others who've spent their hard earned $$$.

Farsight
04-10-2012, 10:31 AM
That doesn't give them the right to be abusive to people and disturb others who've spent their hard earned $$$. That is very true, but i can guarantee you almost every sports franchise as this issue with drunken fans. However, if this was a serious concern to them, they would stop serve alcohol at the games (which would never happen) and not allow anyone who is noticeably drunk into the game as well.

Honestly, i agree with the OP, but i dont really see this issue subsiding in the near future as alcohol is well accepted throughout our society, and as the organization cannot police every single fan. Much like people avoid/ignore rude posters, we have to ignore/avoid the drunk/rude fans as well. It does not seem like the best solution, but its honestly the only solution sadly

Tmath
04-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I thought canadians were supposed to be friendly & polite?

Tmath
04-10-2012, 10:50 AM
But seriously, it is terrible, the only thing they can really do is make some extreme punishments if your caught for fighting like life time bans or large fines etc... Better security wouldn't hurt either.

ChongInc.
04-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Have a drink and cry me a river. They're paying fans and they paid a ton for those drinks. If you are that worried about it then watch the game on tv.

ChongInc.
04-10-2012, 11:26 AM
I thought canadians were supposed to be friendly & polite?

Canadians are also notorious drunks and loved world wide for our happy go lucky partying. I can't tell you how many people get excited when they find out I'm Canadian wile on vacation and just want to get smashed with me purely based on my nationality lol.

miller74
04-10-2012, 11:29 AM
I was there and was drunk myself, not beligerant. There were a few cases of people getting out of hand but it was def one of the calmer opening day crowds of recent memory. When you have 50,000 gathered and beer flowing this is going to happen anywhere.

PS anyone see the fight in the 500 level on the first base side? lol i could see the beer splash from across the stadium and a guy in a blue Lawrie jersey threw a heymaker and almost fell down the stairs lol

ChongInc.
04-10-2012, 11:29 AM
That doesn't give them the right to be abusive to people and disturb others who've spent their hard earned $$$.

But you have this right with them? And it's not like these people are on welfare. They also earned there money contributeing to society and infact spent probibly twice as much as you did at the ball game.

ChongInc.
04-10-2012, 11:32 AM
I was there and was drunk myself, not beligerant. There were a few cases of people getting out of hand but it was def one of the calmer opening day crowds of recent memory. When you have 50,000 gathered and beer flowing this is going to happen anywhere.

PS anyone see the fight in the 500 level on the first base side? lol i could see the beer splash from across the stadium and a guy in a blue Lawrie jersey threw a heymaker and almost fell down the stairs lol

Lmao! Doing his best lawrie impression! Did he have 40's taped to his hands?

Tdot4ever
04-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Let me get this straight. You went 20 deep, but you didn't have the courage to tell those drunks to shut up? so you come on here to complain? lol.

It's sad when you feel something is not right, but have no balls to step up.

miller74
04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Lmao! Doing his best lawrie impression! Did he have 40's taped to his hands?

lol for sure.

It could be worse, we could be Philly fans

KaiserSose
04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
But you have this right with them? And it's not like these people are on welfare. They also earned there money contributeing to society and infact spent probibly twice as much as you did at the ball game.

Your grammar is as terrible as your take is.

Mile High Champ
04-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Have a drink and cry me a river. They're paying fans and they paid a ton for those drinks. If you are that worried about it then watch the game on tv.

Right, here is the immaturiy I speak of case and point. I am sorry but you don't have the right to spill your beers on others and verbally abuse them when you come to a baseball game. If you were a parent, would you feel comfortable with some jack *** screaming **** this and **** that when your kid is sitting eight feet from them? So sick of all these stupid people that flood the rogers center.

What about the woman that was verbally abused on the subway by the same type of drunken idiots? Do they have that right as well?

Grow up.

Mile High Champ
04-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Let me get this straight. You went 20 deep, but you didn't have the courage to tell those drunks to shut up? so you come on here to complain? lol.

Why is it my responsbility to take it into my own hands? I don't need to drop some dunken idiot in the 2nd row to make a point. Have you also every tried talking to somebody who is hammered and ask them to stop what they are doing? Seen it many times and they just go on doing what they were doing. Security needs to step up for once because it really is ****ing pathetic.

Mile High Champ
04-10-2012, 12:06 PM

I have no issue with drinking, as I said I was drinking myslef last night. That said when it gets to the point where you are bothering others or inhabiting them from enjoying the game, thats my problem with it.

FlakeyFool
04-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't care about the swearing. Verbally abusing a woman shouldn't happen.

JaysFan87
04-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Its disgusting how some "fans" act. I was at the game too in the 500 level. I know its known for these types of fans but it doesn't make it right at all. Unsurprisingly I was witnessed to a fight in my section in my row. It was a bunch of idiots screaming f bombs most of the game. It got worse in the 9th when the team gave up the lead and there was a good 5-6 people (2 separate groups) fighting that amounted to a pissing match. It was disgusting and embarrassing. There was a father adn couldn't be older than 6 year old son watching the game in the row behind me. They were acceptable for the most part of the game but then when the fight happened you saw the father terrified and rushed to leave the dome as fast as possible. That kind of stuff upsets me because those idiots robbed the father and son of a great experience together. I enjoy a beer at the game but if beer sales have to be banned in the 500's on opening game then I would have zero opposition against it. Its a small group of "fans" that ruin it for everyone else and it has to stop. Its ****in embarrassing as a fan, a citizen and a person.

JaysFan87
04-10-2012, 12:25 PM

No you are wrong. You go to the game to watch a baseball game...not to get drunk and start fighting with anyone. If you are one then you are not welcome and im pretty sure i speak for most of everyone else on that topic. Its disgusting and you (if u are one) or anyone else who goes down there from a drunken time should stay home and watch the game on tv while fans who go to watch baseball can have a good time.

JaysFan87
04-10-2012, 12:28 PM

Cool they can contribute their dollars to the LCBO or beer store and stay home while other real fans go to the Rogers Centre and enjoy the baseball game with their families. Without having to worry about a brawl breaking out with a bunch of immature people who have nothing better to do then ruin a good time for everyone else.

JaysFan87
04-10-2012, 12:31 PM

Sorry I didnt know it was mine or anyone elses responsibility to punch out drunken fans at a baseball game. Correct me if Im wrong but Im pretty sure that you go to a game to watch the action on the field, not to create or police action in the crowd.

the_jon
04-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Its disgusting how some "fans" act. I was at the game too in the 500 level. I know its known for these types of fans but it doesn't make it right at all. Unsurprisingly I was witnessed to a fight in my section in my row. It was a bunch of idiots screaming f bombs most of the game. It got worse in the 9th when the team gave up the lead and there was a good 5-6 people (2 separate groups) fighting that amounted to a pissing match. It was disgusting and embarrassing. There was a father adn couldn't be older than 6 year old son watching the game in the row behind me. They were acceptable for the most part of the game but then when the fight happened you saw the father terrified and rushed to leave the dome as fast as possible. That kind of stuff upsets me because those idiots robbed the father and son of a great experience together. I enjoy a beer at the game but if beer sales have to be banned in the 500's on opening game then I would have zero opposition against it. Its a small group of "fans" that ruin it for everyone else and it has to stop. Its ****in embarrassing as a fan, a citizen and a person.
Wow :pity:

No wonder I hate people

JaysFan87
04-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Neither do I but like i said when a father and son have to leave the game early becuase a fight breaks out in their row...thats way past the line and embarrassed about what I saw.

JaysFan87
04-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Wow :pity:

No wonder I hate people

It was sad, embarrassing and disgusting.

wamco
04-10-2012, 12:43 PM
you guys should come to a buffalo bills game sometime

chrism516
04-10-2012, 12:45 PM
When drunk people start fighting, swearing in front of kids, dumping beer on others, and then you know that they are driving home, that's when I have a problem with it.

JaysFan87
04-10-2012, 12:49 PM
you guys should come to a buffalo bills game sometime

I have. Been to Bills, Redskins, and Bengals games. But football is a different animal especially in the states where the majority of the people are drunk before the game (tailgating). Im not being trying to be "that" fan but baseball has a totally differnt following and culture to footballl and I think you are smart enough to know that. YOu dont often here "families" going to football games but you always here about families and father and son going ot the game to just enjoy an afternoon together. Its disgusting when I see at a baseball game a father fearing for his sons safety. Embarrassed.

JaysFan87
04-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Again im not some sort of Moral Authority person but as a person in general its disgusting and totally turns some families away from baseball in this city.

2009mvp
04-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Stop acting like this is the majority or something. It's a handful of punks who wouldn't be endangering others if Rogers would provide a reasonable amount of security for games like this.

jakedajewler
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
There is one thing i've learned over the years, when you leave your house and go into public you will encounter many many many idiots, you just have to ignore it. The only other option is to become a shut in

ChongInc.
04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Right, here is the immaturiy I speak of case and point. I am sorry but you don't have the right to spill your beers on others and verbally abuse them when you come to a baseball game. If you were a parent, would you feel comfortable with some jack *** screaming **** this and **** that when your kid is sitting eight feet from them? So sick of all these stupid people that flood the rogers center.

What about the woman that was verbally abused on the subway by the same type of drunken idiots? Do they have that right as well?

Grow up.

I am a parent. And no I wouldn't be ok with that, but I'd do something about it if it was that bad. You don't need to lay someone out to make a point. Did you try politely asking them to control the swearing around your child? Read my sig and quit your online *****ing and moaning. Your the one acting childish.

Mile High Champ
04-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Stop acting like this is the majority or something. It's a handful of punks who wouldn't be endangering others if Rogers would provide a reasonable amount of security for games like this.

It is more than a handful of people. With that being said, I agree with you. If Rogers would provide some actual secutrity at the game, things would be a lot better for everyone.

Mile High Champ
04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
I am a parent. And no I wouldn't be ok with that, but I'd do something about it if it was that bad. You don't need to lay someone out to make a point. Did you try politely asking them to control the swearing around your child? Read my sig and quit your online *****ing and moaning. Your the one acting childish.

It was not my child, I gave a hypothetically situation. With that said, of course I would say something politely at first but as you are maybe not aware, drunken idiots are not reasonable.

I find it amusing that you are a parent yet you see nothing wrong with the actions these idiots are taking or for that matter what those fans did to the woman on the subway.

Your the apparent grown up with an avatar of an uzi machine gun in a jays logo and I am apparently the one acting childish? Give your head a shake. :facepalm: But again there is no point in arguing with the ignorant.

Mile High Champ
04-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Exactly. I just don't understand it and I fund it surprsing that some "sober" people are ok with it. Shocking.

AA09-?
04-10-2012, 02:01 PM

You'd feel differently if you had young children.

AA09-?
04-10-2012, 02:03 PM

And you have evidence of this how?? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

AA09-?
04-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Yeah cause that's had a history of working...give your head a shake.

The way you're conversing doesn't lead me to believe you are in fact a father.

Dol-Fan
04-10-2012, 02:17 PM
My girlfriend and I wanted to go, but decided against it based on stories like this. When we saw the crowd on TV, we were satisfied with our decision. If you're not ready to party and get boisterous, Opening Day is not for you.

craigerlee
04-10-2012, 02:22 PM
It is more than a handful of people. With that being said, I agree with you. If Rogers would provide some actual secutrity at the game, things would be a lot better for everyone.

Ya no doubt. I watched a fight break out somewhere around section 113-114 that went on for probably close to 5 minutes. There's no way a fight should be able to go on that long.

Kinglorious
04-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Myself, I'm a pretty calm and reserved drunk. It's just not in my nature to be loud and obnoxious in a public venue when I'm surrounded with people I don't know. I also don't want to embarrass myself, even though I'll likely never see any of those people again.

Beer makes people do some stupid ****, but I'll bet that those 3 guys are a bunch of clowns to begin with, drunk or sober. It all goes back to personality, and alcohol just enhances their jackassery.

Sanyo
04-10-2012, 02:38 PM

Actually when I was a kid my friend was on welfare and while my mom slaved 2 jobs to make ends meet, her mom was a lazy trash w**** selling sex on the side well being on welfare and crying poor...and with her welfare money took my friend to many Jays games -- I didnt know it at the time I was like 5 or 6 but later on in life realized how corrupt the welfare system is in this country and where many people have no incentive to work. And then many of them go enjoy using our tax dollars.

Sorry I know its somewhat off topic but all types go to Jays games, poor or rich. Just know maybe there are a few there drinking beer or whatever using your tax dollars bud ;)

JaysFan87
04-10-2012, 02:43 PM

i never said it was the majority. I clearly stated that a few a ruining it for the majority adn you are right rogers needs to do a better job and in addition liek i said i wouldnt be opposed to eliminating beer sales on the 500 level in the opener. Drastic I know but this shouldn't be a topic that is discussed every year and it seems like it is.

Lavy16
04-10-2012, 02:58 PM
I was at the game last night and was sitting behind the Jays bullpen...Dallas Green from City of Colour was in front of us with his wife...a few drunk guys started chirping him and then a fight broke out...a few of us broke it up right away and security kicked the drunk guys out...was kind of funny to us but Green's wife (use to be a VJ on Much Music) started to cry and told him they had to leave

The_Jet11
04-10-2012, 03:00 PM
It all comes down to accountability. Enjoy yourself at the game, I'm all for a few beers with the buddies! But keep in mind that there are others (elderly, families, other fans) that will be close enough to where your sitting, that the example you are setting will influence their enjoyment of the game.

Respect the game, respect the fans, and respect the venue.

Nobody wants the Jays games getting a bad reputation based on a few peoples' actions, so keep yourself under control and stay accountable for your actions.

I'd rather Jays fans be seen as passionate and educated about the ballclub, than rowdy and unruly.

With that in mind, I'm heading down to Real Sports in an hour for a few pre-game brews, and will be attending tonight's game also. Here's hoping we see some shining examples of Jays Fans tonight, and this whole issue can be put to rest.

faridk89
04-10-2012, 03:33 PM

that's what I was thinking, I would of caused rukus in that train

jaysrocksox
04-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I'd just like to know, what are these people fighting about?? :confused: I've seen it, but not close by. If I was on that subway though, I'd have removed those morons myself at the next stop.

ChongInc.
04-10-2012, 03:51 PM
My girlfriend and I wanted to go, but decided against it based on stories like this. When we saw the crowd on TV, we were satisfied with our decision. If you're not ready to party and get boisterous, Opening Day is not for you.

Exactly.

Yeah cause that's had a history of working...give your head a shake.

The way you're conversing doesn't lead me to believe you are in fact a father.

Good thing I have nothing to prove to you lol.

It was not my child, I gave a hypothetically situation. With that said, of course I would say something politely at first but as you are maybe not aware, drunken idiots are not reasonable.

I find it amusing that you are a parent yet you see nothing wrong with the actions these idiots are taking or for that matter what those fans did to the woman on the subway.

Your the apparent grown up with an avatar of an uzi machine gun in a jays logo and I am apparently the one acting childish? Give your head a shake. :facepalm: But again there is no point in arguing with the ignorant.

When did I say anything about the guys on the subway? And how are they a reflection of jays fans as a whole? Your always going to encounter drunk guys on the subway, and the government promotes drunks using that method of transportation. They may have come from the jays game or they may have come from a bar/party. Again if you have a problem with it, do something to curve their actions, move seats, or suck it up. With proper parenting it's actually quite easy to flip drunk actions into a posative thing. Pointing out how immature and classless they look when they talk like that, and opening up a discussion with your child about how to react when people act like that and how to avoid getting like that. The method I've used in the past is to just talk to my son and keep him entertained and distracted, until I notice him noticing them at which time I open said conversation.
On another note, it's ignorent to assume that because I have an artistically altered avatar, that I'm a bad parent/ not a parent at all. I'm shaking my head at you.

Actually when I was a kid my friend was on welfare and while my mom slaved 2 jobs to make ends meet, her mom was a lazy trash w**** selling sex on the side well being on welfare and crying poor...and with her welfare money took my friend to many Jays games -- I didnt know it at the time I was like 5 or 6 but later on in life realized how corrupt the welfare system is in this country and where many people have no incentive to work. And then many of them go enjoy using our tax dollars.

Sorry I know its somewhat off topic but all types go to Jays games, poor or rich. Just know maybe there are a few there drinking beer or whatever using your tax dollars bud ;)

I concur. I believe Ontario Works should be a working program where if you can't find work they give you a job for the city. Fixing roads or building a library or something. My mom was also a hard working single mother going to university and working 2 jobs. She's now an art teacher, happily married with two young children. Wile the types of people your referring to are still hooking in poverty. Hopefully your friend uses that as motivation instead of an excuse.

AA09-?
04-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Exactly.

When did I say anything about the guys on the subway? And how are they a reflection of jays fans as a whole? Your always going to encounter drunk guys on the subway, and the government promotes drunks using that method of transportation. They may have come from the jays game or they may have come from a bar/party. Again if you have a problem with it, do something to curve their actions, move seats, or suck it up. With proper parenting it's actually quite easy to flip drunk actions into a posative thing. Pointing out how immature and classless they look when they talk like that, and opening up a discussion with your child about how to react when people act like that and how to avoid getting like that. The method I've used in the past is to just talk to my son and keep him entertained and distracted, until I notice him noticing them at which time I open said conversation.
On another note, it's ignorent to assume that because I have an artistically altered avatar, that I'm a bad parent/ not a parent at all. I'm shaking my head at you.

I concur. I believe Ontario Works should be a working program where if you can't find work they give you a job for the city. Fixing roads or building a library or something. My mom was also a hard working single mother going to university and working 2 jobs. She's now an art teacher, happily married with two young children. Wile the types of people your referring to are still hooking in poverty. Hopefully your friend uses that as motivation instead of an excuse.

And how would this work with a 4 year old??

JaysFan87
04-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Exactly.

Thats exactly why its disgusting. People who go down to the Rogers Centre can not go because idiotss decide to make it a drunken disaster.

JaysFan87
04-10-2012, 04:04 PM
And how would this work with a 4 year old??

Well its obvious right. According to him you just have to stay home because opening day is juist not for you. Its for the drunken idiots.

AA09-?
04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Well its obvious right. According to him you just have to stay home because opening day is juist not for you. Its for the drunken idiots.

Ahhhh....now I get it. LOL:D

ChongInc.
04-10-2012, 04:48 PM
You can't distract or have a conversation with your 4 year old? My son isn't even 4 and I can already talk with him about right and wrong.
I never said anything about opening day not being for you. It's for everyone, includeing the guys who had a few too many. Thats exactly my point. If you don't want to hear drunk guys acting drunk, then yes. Stay at home on opening day. That's clearly the lesson here.
Or maybe just complain about it the next day on psd. That'll make a difference!

JaysFan87
04-10-2012, 04:56 PM
You can't distract or have a conversation with your 4 year old? My son isn't even 4 and I can already talk with him about right and wrong.
I never said anything about opening day not being for you. It's for everyone, includeing the guys who had a few too many. Thats exactly my point. If you don't want to hear drunk guys acting drunk, then yes. Stay at home on opening day.
Or maybe just complain about it the next day on psd. That'll make a difference!

No they should stay home or be sent home. You shouldn't be hesitant to go to a baseball game because of drunks. If you wanna be hesitant about going to a night club because of drunks, thats fine. IF you wanna be hesitant about going to a bar because of drunks thats fine. But to be hesitant about going to a baseball game because of drunks is wrong. And has to change by throwing out at the first sign of stupidness. And if it results in them never coming back even when sober then so be it. I don't care. As for your -what appears to be dealing with the situation - they are drunk and obviously drunk becasue they lack coherence, logic, and respect. What makes you think that you will be able to speak to them in a logical manner and have the change behaviours. You cant. or at least the far majority cant. But again it comes down to removing them from the stadium immediately.

KaiserSose
04-11-2012, 02:53 PM
http://deadspin.com/5900911/the-blue-jays-attempt-to-stop-opening-day-fights-through-alcohol-restrictions-didnt-work

This is pretty sad. This is why I won't go to a home opener. Shameful display.

Kelly Gruber
04-11-2012, 02:59 PM
There's a lot of excitement for the Jays right now, especially amongst young people that have wanted to cheer for the Jays for a long time.

Excited young people + booze = problems. It will settle down.

Bob_at_york
04-11-2012, 03:24 PM
it is embarassing. I have had to apologize to out-of-towners at opening day games in the past. I didn't go this year.

neemer85
04-11-2012, 04:03 PM
it is embarassing. I have had to apologize to out-of-towners at opening day games in the past. I didn't go this year.

you had to apologize? lol

50,000+ fans, no matter what sporting event you're at, there are going to be fights. nothing to be embarassed about, it's not like they were part of your group.

dtmagnet
04-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Believe me, Toronto is not the worst place for this.

treeleaf
04-11-2012, 04:08 PM
I swear Jays fans are actually pretty calm on average. Not much to get excited about in the past. About time we get a lil rowdy. Ps that guy caught two HUGE bombs

mtf
04-11-2012, 04:18 PM

stop causing fights and you won't need to apologize! :p

faridk89
04-11-2012, 04:27 PM
honestly, people need to stop being *******... ohh a fight broke out, who gives a ****... fights break out all the time!!! Drunk or not. get 50k people in a building and you'll have a few fights, if your scared of seeing a fight... stay at home

Bob_at_york
04-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Mother and young son from Boston. Stuff thrown from above hit them in the head a few years back. I felt really bad, nobody wants to get hit by stuff while watching a baseball game.

50,000+ fans, no matter what sporting event you're at, there are going to be fights. nothing to be embarassed about, it's not like they were part of your group.

honestly, people need to stop being *******... ohh a fight broke out, who gives a ****... fights break out all the time!!! Drunk or not. get 50k people in a building and you'll have a few fights, if your scared of seeing a fight... stay at home

Where do you guys hang out that fights are breaking out all the time? How is this common place for you guys?

faridk89
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Where do you guys hang out that fights are breaking out all the time? How is this common place for you guys?

I worked night shifts at an office building @ Bathurst and King, every time I'd come down to get some mcdicks or go for a smoke from my cubical on a thurs, fri, sat, sun night... there was a good chance I'd see drunkards screaming, fighting, causing rukus in the streets...

Going out to a club, bar or w.e downtown on the same days you'll also most likely run into a fight.... Especially a club, I don't think I've ever been to a club where at least one fight hasn't broken out

jon32
04-11-2012, 04:51 PM
I think the ol city kids might need to take a trip to the maritimes and learn how to handle the liquor.

AA09-?
04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Mother and young son from Boston. Stuff thrown from above hit them in the head a few years back. I felt really bad, nobody wants to get hit by stuff while watching a baseball game.

Exactly. People need to grow the **** up...this should not be common. If you really think this ok, you can't be helped.

StealingSigns
04-11-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm reopening this thread. Keep the personal attacks and judgmental comments out of it, or it gets locked up again.

R. Johnson#3
04-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Sergio Santos ruined the Opening Day experience.

Converged
04-11-2012, 07:37 PM
I have been to plenty of sporting events and you find these drunks at all of them. It's just part of the territory...you will never get rid of them. If you banned beer at the game, guaranteed they would sneak a mickey in or get drunk before hand. Sure, security could step up and break the fights quicker, but they will still happen. It is inevitable. Whether you embrace it or discourage it, it's something that will always happen, especially for big events like opening day.

StealingSigns
04-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I merged the other "Deadspin" thread into this one, even though the redirect says it went into the game thread.

masTOR_shake1
04-11-2012, 09:05 PM
opening day is more like a rock concert than a ballgame. i agree the etiquette is disgusting as it seems every year people love throwing paper or magnetic scheduals or give-away du jour on the field and act like rambunctious morons on opening day (baseball crowds are supposed to be spirited but it does go too far). It's usually an isolated occurence so mehh.

Bob_at_york
04-11-2012, 09:48 PM
I worked night shifts at an office building @ Bathurst and King, every time I'd come down to get some mcdicks or go for a smoke from my cubical on a thurs, fri, sat, sun night... there was a good chance I'd see drunkards screaming, fighting, causing rukus in the streets...
Drunks... not sports fans. Sporting events don't have to equal "drunks".

CityofTreez
04-11-2012, 09:55 PM
lol for sure.

It could be worse, we could be Philly fans

Exactly, be happy you weren't vomitted on while enjoying the game.

StealingSigns
04-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Exactly, be happy you weren't vomitted on while enjoying the game.

:nod:

StealingSigns
04-11-2012, 10:05 PM
In all seriousness though, the OP is right. I was thinking of bringing my 9 year old to opening night. If that **** breaks out behind our seats, I'm grabbing him and heading for the exits.

Opening Day shouldn't be =/= Oktoberfest. I'm pretty sure most of us wouldn't be bringing our kids with us to the K/W as we got our drunk on...

mtf
04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
In all seriousness though, the OP is right. I was thinking of bringing my 9 year old to opening night. If that **** breaks out behind our seats, I'm grabbing him and heading for the exits.

Opening Day shouldn't be =/= Oktoberfest. I'm pretty sure most of us wouldn't be bringing our kids with us to the K/W as we got our drunk on...

Yeah, Rogers security is pretty trash too. I was at the last home game of the year last season (Edwin Encarnacion with the walk-off home run to win it in extra innings) and some ******* in a section near my group was hammered and yelling at several people within 5 rows ahead of him spanning across 3 sections, very specific, loud and unrelenting insults to random other people in the crowd just for looking at him with disgust or irritation when he'd yell at some other fans. One security member came up and calmly told him "sit down and shut up". The guy started screaming at the security guard, so the guard just walked away without doing anything. It's not the type of environment I would subject family to again.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-12-2012, 12:17 AM
You shoulda busted their ***.

fatkev78
04-12-2012, 03:09 AM
I haven't gone to opening day for years now....the real fans start showing up the next day. I wouldn't take a child to opening day.

Mile High Champ
04-12-2012, 07:30 AM

I think this is where the issue lies. Fights are not of the norm. This is not a football game, its baseball. How often do you see a fight at a hockey or basketball game in the stands. Never. I don't see how this at all a good argument to anyway make it ok to be an idiot, get hammered and ruin the experience for others.

craigerlee
04-12-2012, 07:40 AM
I think this is where the issue lies. Fights are not of the norm. This is not a football game, its baseball. How often do you see a fight at a hockey or basketball game. Never. I don't see how this at all a good argument to anyway make it ok to be an idiot, get hammered and ruin the experience for others.

Its 2.5X the attendance at a sold out Skydome compared to a sold out ACC. Lot more likely for a bunch of jackasses to start fighting. Also I don't know how much better it is for a 6-10 year old to watch a fight on the ice or a fight in the crowd, neither are suitable for a kid that age IMO. I think they just need better security in general at Rogers Centre, and I don't know what the repercussions are for fighting in the stands but I would hope its something like a night in jail and a $1000-2000 fine. Maybe if they announced something like that at the beginning of the game the jackasses would refrain from doing it.

jaysrocksox
04-12-2012, 09:01 AM
By the way, in that link posted earlier to the video, I saw a two sucker punches, and a lot of hugging. Not a lot of fighting. Real people who know how to scrap wouldn't cause crap like this.

GrumpyOldMan
04-12-2012, 01:10 PM
I have had season tickets for many years and have only been to one home opener because I know this stuff goes on at them. These "event chasers" are not fans of the Jays for the most part, they just want to be drunk and loud in places where they know there will be a lot of people.
I am hoping my health is good enough to start attending home games again soon (been hospitalized for the past month and a half) and I can assure you that the Rogers Centre will be a great place to take a family to by that point. Dont let a group of people who dont matter ruin your family's opinion of going to support your team.

AA09-?
04-12-2012, 01:14 PM
I have had season tickets for many years and have only been to one home opener because I know this stuff goes on at them. These "event chasers" are not fans of the Jays for the most part, they just want to be drunk and loud in places where they know there will be a lot of people.
I am hoping my health is good enough to start attending home games again soon (been hospitalized for the past month and a half) and I can assure you that the Rogers Centre will be a great place to take a family to by that point. Dont let a group of people who dont matter ruin your family's opinion of going to support your team.

Good luck in returning to good health.:)

I hope you get to enjoy some good games with other sane and respectful fans.

JermanJaysFan
04-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but I will say that it doesn't bug me, personally. I think it's pretty funny watching all these guys that can't hold their liquor, and it only happens opening day and maybe for a Yanks game or two. Aside from those games, these guys are safely stored away in their frat houses.

But I can fully understand that it is inappropriate behaviour to have in a family environment. Maybe they should designate some "family seating zones" for opening day with tighter alcohol regulations and security or something. :shrug:.

JermanJaysFan
04-12-2012, 01:28 PM
http://deadspin.com/5900911/the-blue-jays-attempt-to-stop-opening-day-fights-through-alcohol-restrictions-didnt-work

This is pretty sad. This is why I won't go to a home opener. Shameful display.
That dude in the grey throws a punch like hes tossing a knuckleball :laugh2:

neemer85
04-12-2012, 04:36 PM
I think this is where the issue lies. Fights are not of the norm. This is not a football game, its baseball. How often do you see a fight at a hockey or basketball game in the stands. Never. I don't see how this at all a good argument to anyway make it ok to be an idiot, get hammered and ruin the experience for others.

clearly you have not been to many basketball or hockey games. fights happen no matter where you are as long as theres alcohol being served and good attendanc numbers.

where did I say it was ok to fight? i'm saying you can't go to a sporting event where there are over 50,000 fans and not expect to see fights or people dropping F bombs.

maybe you should stick to the family section where there are security guards everywhere and no alcohol permitted