PDA

View Full Version : How good can John Wall and Anthony Davis be?

NYSpirit1
04-09-2012, 11:33 PM
The Wizards have been horrible this year and John Wall hasn't progressed at all, but the potential of a Davis-Wall tandem would be scary good.

The Wizards would have potential to be the Thunder in 3-5 years with Wall, Vesely and Davis.

homestarunner93
04-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Not as good as Davis on the Bobcats.

dhopisthename
04-09-2012, 11:38 PM
shouldn't we wait till the wizards at least get the #1 pick?

TylerSL
04-09-2012, 11:38 PM
I always thought Wall was overrated. I doubt he gets much better than what he is now. At the same time Davis is special IMO. I believe Davis can become a KG type of guy. He just needs to work on his all around offense, and get stronger. IMO his prime could easily be on offense, a deadly top of the key guy with good post moves, and defense, DPOY.

da ThRONe
04-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Davis will struggle at the next level. I have no idea why people think he will be a star. He's a less skilled/phyiscally weaker Anthony Randolph.

irishmarine
04-09-2012, 11:49 PM
The wiz need to much help eberywhere

mightymouse407
04-09-2012, 11:50 PM
shouldn't we wait till the wizards at least get the #1 pick?

thank u exactly what i was thinking, im so tired of ppl thinking they can perdict the future then when it doesnt happen u have a pointless thread

SMH!
04-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Davis will struggle at the next level. I have no idea why people think he will be a star. He's a less skilled/phyiscally weaker Anthony Randolph.

To me, he looks like a young Garnett

BALLER R
04-10-2012, 12:18 AM
hey hey hey chill. Davis will become a raptor. How good will Jonas Valanciunas and Anthony Davis Be?

SugeKnight
04-10-2012, 12:24 AM
How good would Curry, Bogut, Lee, Thompson, and Davis be?

heyman321
04-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Not as good as if he was paired with Valanciunas and Bargnani and Calderon. Twin defensive towers anyone??

NYKnicks4511
04-10-2012, 12:49 AM

Young Garnett had a real nice touch around the rim and already had an arsenal of baby hooks and mid-range/ turnaround baseline jumpers. Outside of a few rare instances, I've never really seen Davis confidently overpower his opponent 1v1 on a consistent basis. I believe he will be an elite defensive player at the next level, but I'd say more along the lines of a rich man's Tyson Chandler. Athletic around the rim and a defensive game changer, but can step out and his the 12-15 foot shot with moderate consistency.

da ThRONe
04-10-2012, 01:20 AM
Young Garnett had a real nice touch around the rim and already had an arsenal of baby hooks and mid-range/ turnaround baseline jumpers. Outside of a few rare instances, I've never really seen Davis confidently overpower his opponent 1v1 on a consistent basis. I believe he will be an elite defensive player at the next level, but I'd say more along the lines of a rich man's Tyson Chandler. Athletic around the rim and a defensive game changer, but can step out and his the 12-15 foot shot with moderate consistency.

I was thinking the same thing when people make the KG comparsion. KG was much more skilled offensively it's night and day between him and Davis in addition to having a much stronger frame. Has anyone looked at Davis build? I've seen some slender guys, but atleast they had some muscles a la Garnett, Chandler, Tyrus Thomas, Anthony Randolph, Howard (his first few years). Davis is so frail looking. And unlike Howard he doesn't appear to have a frame that can handle another 15-20lbs of muscle.

I don't think he'll even have a Chandler like impact defensively. Guys at the next level will just bully him down low. He'll be nice help side because his length and athetisim, but he's going to get abused in the post if he's going to play the 4 spot in the NBA. Which he has to because he's no where close to being skilled enough to be a wing player.

loublue22
04-10-2012, 01:41 AM
I can tell most of you haven't watched Davis play very much.

He has the baby hook (with both hands), as well as the jumper out to at least college 3 point range. He can put it on the floor, and just has incredible hands/ball skills in general. He is NOT a project offensively.

He will be a face up 4 in the NBA, and he will be great. Aldridge/Ibaka hybrid. And of course he will gain weight, he's only 19.

meloman1592
04-10-2012, 02:27 AM
he'll be like marcus camby with better post moves

UKblazers
04-10-2012, 05:42 AM

He has the baby hook (with both hands), as well as the jumper out to at least college 3 point range. He can put it on the floor, and just has incredible hands/ball skills in general. He is NOT a project offensively.

He will be a face up 4 in the NBA, and he will be great. Aldridge/Ibaka hybrid. And of course he will gain weight, he's only 19.

I agree completely. Given all the NBA talent Kentucky had they weren't going to run the offence through him, he definitely has more in his game than just athleticism and blocking shots.

Hawkeye15
04-10-2012, 08:47 AM

First off, why are we having this thread now?

I disagree. Davis is an amazing defender/shot blocker/rebounder, with ball handling ability, a motor that never stops, and a growing skillset offensively. I think he is about as can't miss as you get. Will he be a superstar? We don't know. But barring injury, I can virtually guarantee you he is a very, very good NBA player. Randolph is a horrible comparison. Davis actually has a high basketball IQ.

mRc08
04-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Davis will be a beast, no doubt in my mind about that. Him and the wizards tho??? I hope not, i don't wanna see that franchise ruin him. John Wall hasn't shown me enough to totally buy into him. He can still turn into a top 5 pg eventually, but I don't see the heart or determination in him.

beasted86
04-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Why are so many fans talking about Anthony Davis like a scorer.

He will not have a big impact scoring in the NBA for years.

beasted86
04-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Davis' ceiling offensively is Lamar Odom, and he even peaked at 17 PPG.

Bornknick73
04-10-2012, 01:15 PM
How good were Jason Kidd, Mashburn and Jackson? Or Mourning and Johnson?

You can put great players together, doesnt always pan out though. I thought the 3 Js in Dallas were gonna be a great team. Who says they will even get along?

Bornknick73
04-10-2012, 01:15 PM
The Wizards franchise will destroy them both.

mRc08
04-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I think davis will be a better scorer than people think he will. He's not gonna come outa the gates like demarcus cousins, but I think he is going to be efficent. Down the road, I don't see how anyone can put a ceiling on his potential. There's nothing to base that off of besides his size i guess? but even still, there have been some really scrony players come out and still play well. Kevin Durant anyone??? Sure he's not a post player, but his strength was a question mark by many. I will take his wingspan and vert over strength anyday. He can already shoot decently (still needs work), and in a very weak bigman era, why can't he develop into a solid post presence?

FraziersKnicks
04-10-2012, 01:31 PM
I can't wait to see Davis play in the NBA, whoever he plays for

Jint.
04-10-2012, 01:32 PM

more like Marcus Camby

Missing56&33
04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
I think its going to take a few years for Anthony Davis to develop some upper body strength and foot speed before he becomes a impact player in the league.

da ThRONe
04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
First off, why are we having this thread now?

I disagree. Davis is an amazing defender/shot blocker/rebounder, with ball handling ability, a motor that never stops, and a growing skillset offensively. I think he is about as can't miss as you get. Will he be a superstar? We don't know. But barring injury, I can virtually guarantee you he is a very, very good NBA player. Randolph is a horrible comparison. Davis actually has a high basketball IQ.

In college where the majority of his opponents where clearly out matched by his athleticism and didn't have the skill or body to just out muscle him. It will be exactly the opposite pretty much ever game in the NBA.

His ball handling is pretty par for a 4 in the league today.

I'll agree that his Basketball IQ exceeds Randolph, but that's less important for bigs as it is for perimeter players(especially PG's). Although it will help Davis.

I think he is one of the riskier players in the draft because he ,unlike most of the guys that's lottery projections, can't be affective in the NBA as is. Robinson, Drummond, Barnes, Beal, T. Jones, Marshall, Lillard, Leonard, Zeller, and P. Jones all can be affective stars with their bodies as is the day of the draft. The only other lotto guys that need to transform their bodies at the next level are Sulliger(needs to lose weight) and Kidd-Gilchirst(needs to add weight). Losing weight pretty much always has a positive affect on a players game. However there's no way of telling how Davis' body will react to the 15-20lbs(miminal) he will need to add. Just looking at his frame it doesn't appear that he can add this weight while maintaining some of the traits that makes him a great shot blocker and these are just on his body and not his game.

He was prefect for the college game that rewards defense equally as offense. The college game is more about primeter play and less about post play. Guys can't consistently stretch the floor like in the pros so more things go towards the rim and Davis with his great body control, leaping ability, and length was a nightmare in the college game. In the pros almost all bigs can hit that 7-10ft jumpers so Davis help defense radius will be shorten. Add this with the fact that official at the next level will allow offensive players to be more phyiscal and I see a game who struggles defensively and defense is his strong side.

Sly Guy
04-10-2012, 01:53 PM

agreed. His face up game is actually really good for a guy his size. He finishes very well. Strength is probably my only concern, everything else I've seen I really like.

RiLoc
04-10-2012, 02:10 PM
The Wizards would be as good as the staff and culture that the Wizards build for Wall and Davis. Talent is only part of the equation, a professional staff and culture that cultivates talent is something the Wizards have failed at for years.

Shareeb_omac2
04-10-2012, 02:10 PM
John Wall and Anthony Davis would be a great pairing. Wall needs someone to take some of the weight off that terrible roster.

Look at all the lottery teams current rosters. The only team with a solid piece is the Wizards with Wall. Heck, if Davis ends up with them and Nene could get healthy that would be a decent team.

Then they need to find a coach.

Hawkeye15
04-10-2012, 02:12 PM
In college where the majority of his opponents where clearly out matched by his athleticism and don't have the skill or body to just out muscle him. This will be the exactly the opposite pretty much ever game in the NBA.

His ball handling is pretty par for a 4 in the league today.

I'll agree that his Basketball IQ exceeds Randolph, but that's less important for bigs as it is for perimeter players(especially PG's). Although it will help Davis.

I think he is one of the riskier players in the draft because he ,unlike most of the guys that's lottery projections, can't be affective in the NBA as is. Robinson, Drummond, Barnes, Beal, T. Jones, Marshall, Lillard, Leonard, Zeller, and P. Jones all can be affective stars with their bodies as is the day of the draft. The only other lotto guys that need to transform their bodies at the next level are Sulliger(needs to lose weight) and Kidd-Gilchirst(needs to add weight). Losing weight pretty much always has a positive affect on a players game. However there's no way of telling how Davis' body will react to the 15-20lbs(miminal) he will need to add. Just looking at his frame it doesn't appear that he can add this weight while maintaining some of the traits that makes him a great shot blocker and these are just on his body and not his game.

He was prefect for the college game that rewards defense equally as offense. The college game is more about primeter play and less about post play. Guys can't consistently stretch the floor like in the pros so more things go towards the rim and Davis with his great body control, leaping ability, and length was a nightmare in the college game. In the pros almost all bigs can hit that 7-10ft jumpers so Davis help defense radius will be shorten. Add this with the fact that official at the next level will allow offensive players to be more phyiscal and I see a game who defensively and defense is his strong side.

So you are telling me there is a large difference between NCAA and NBA basketball....

From his skillset, timing, and motor, along with his IQ, I see zero problem with him adapting to the NBA quickly.

Hawkeye15
04-10-2012, 02:16 PM
I am absolutely not saying he is the next KG, but does anyone remember KG's rookie year? He had a very limited offensive skillset, and relied on athletic ability, a long frame, and a high motor. Same as Davis.

dhopisthename
04-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Also davis wasn't just more athletic then ncaa college players he far more athletic then anyone on the court. if you want the next anthony randolph look no further then perry jones

da ThRONe
04-10-2012, 02:32 PM
So you are telling me there is a large difference between NCAA and NBA basketball....

From his skillset, timing, and motor, along with his IQ, I see zero problem with him adapting to the NBA quickly.

I think his skillset is being overrated, and things like his timing and motor will be negatively impacted by his need to gain weight.

da ThRONe
04-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Also davis wasn't just more athletic then ncaa college players he far more athletic then anyone on the court. if you want the next anthony randolph look no further then perry jones

True and that's my point. What happens when he's nolonger "that" much more athletic than the next guy? IMO it will mean he becomes just another athletic big in the NBA like Tyrus Thomas, Anthony Randolph, Kenyon Martin, and a long list of other guys who has had similiar length and defensive skill set as Davis.

nycsports2
04-10-2012, 02:39 PM
im actually not sold on davis/ i dont doubt he can be a great player in the nba though. wall needs better players around him plain and simple bc hes a facilitator not a score 1st pg

Raph12
04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
He has the drive and work ethic to go along with his outstanding athleticism. He could definitely be an elite player in this game, but it is upto him to get there.

2-ONE-5
04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
if they get Davis which is unkonwn they are not going to be close to the Thunder. I dont know how that even crosses ones mind.

da ThRONe
04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
He has the drive and work ethic to go along with his outstanding athleticism. He could definitely be an elite player in this game, but it is upto him to get there.

Ofcourse he can. My point is I don't see how he's this "can't miss prospect" with so many holes in his game either due to a lack of skill or physical stature. If he reaches superstardom in the NBA it will be as a completely different person than the one that shows up day 1 in the NBA. Which to me makes him as boom or bust as Drummond or Perry Jones III.

Cfrey
04-10-2012, 04:23 PM
sticking to the first page agenda

HOW GOOD WOULD A RUBIO/LOVE/DAVIS be?? OMG

Cfrey
04-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I am absolutely not saying he is the next KG, but does anyone remember KG's rookie year? He had a very limited offensive skillset, and relied on athletic ability, a long frame, and a high motor. Same as Davis.

Davis will never ever ever have KGs offensive skill set never ever ever

dhopisthename
04-10-2012, 04:41 PM
True and that's my point. What happens when he's nolonger "that" much more athletic than the next guy? IMO it will mean he becomes just another athletic big in the NBA like Tyrus Thomas, Anthony Randolph, Kenyon Martin, and a long list of other guys who has had similiar length and defensive skill set as Davis.

thing is he is always going to be super athletic and already has a motor that trumps what 80% of the bigs in the league have

He115ing
04-10-2012, 04:46 PM

He was a big reason why his team won the Title, so I wouldn't exactly say that is is a less skilled Anthony Randolph.

I do have my doubts about Davis but I wouldn't call him a bust just yet.

da ThRONe
04-10-2012, 04:48 PM
thing is he is always going to be super athletic and already has a motor that trumps what 80% of the bigs in the league have

Only if his body can support the added mass he'll need. Otherwise he'll be in the bottom 0.5% in strength.

Hawkeye15
04-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Davis will never ever ever have KGs offensive skill set never ever ever

Not saying he will, but you obviously don't remember KG's rookie year, and what his offensive skillset looked like...

Hawkeye15
04-10-2012, 04:49 PM
I think his skillset is being overrated, and things like his timing and motor will be negatively impacted by his need to gain weight.

I disagree completely. Time will tell. I feel comfortable with my evaluation, we will revisit this in a year or so.

da ThRONe
04-10-2012, 04:50 PM
He was a big reason why his team won the Title, so I wouldn't exactly say that is is a less skilled Anthony Randolph.

I do have my doubts about Davis but I wouldn't call him a bust just yet.

I've already commented on his college success. I think he'll be a bust in terms of being the 1st overall pick. Barring injuries I think he'll be a solid role player for many years.

Cfrey
04-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Not saying he will, but you obviously don't remember KG's rookie year, and what his offensive skillset looked like...

Yeah, I'm sorry I was only three years old at the time hahaha.

da ThRONe
04-10-2012, 04:53 PM
I disagree completely. Time will tell. I feel comfortable with my evaluation, we will revisit this in a year or so.

As well as I am confident in my evalution. That's whats great about sports though varying opinions. This wouldn't be the 1st time I was way off.

Hawkeye15
04-10-2012, 04:53 PM

ok passer, got all of his points within 6 feet of the rim, average handles, lived off length, high motor, IQ, and athletic ability.

LTBaByyy
04-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Wall
They need someone that's a shooter like Korver, Ray Allen, Hamilton, Novak
Vessely
Davis
Nene

Would be a hell of a team!!!

Hawkeye15
04-10-2012, 04:56 PM
As well as I am confident in my evalution. That's whats great about sports though varying opinions. This wouldn't be the 1st time I was way off.

I thought Harden would be a below average NBA player, he looked slow. I also didn't think Westbrook would be elite. Those are the biggest misses I have had.

dhopisthename
04-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Only if his body can support the added mass he'll need. Otherwise he'll be in the bottom 0.5% in strength.

he is only what 19 years old he can certainly get stronger. Also, there are alot of other big guys right now that are not physically imposing. kg for example was never really strong, but it never really mattered. Chris bosh is is pretty weak for a big guy but is a consistent all star.

Crackadalic
04-10-2012, 05:40 PM
I think people undervalue his offense game. He didnt score as much because that wasnt his job. His truly played team basketball and with a roster full of scorers there wasnt any need for him to score as much. His job was to defend and he did that

I don't know about superstar but I think he can be a fringe star in this league

da ThRONe
04-10-2012, 05:59 PM
he is only what 19 years old he can certainly get stronger. Also, there are alot of other big guys right now that are not physically imposing. kg for example was never really strong, but it never really mattered. Chris bosh is is pretty weak for a big guy but is a consistent all star.

It's not a given that because he's 19 he will fill out or get stronger naturally. Durant hasn't and how long has he been in the league? Garnett is a wirer guy, but he's was and still is much stronger than Davis. And Bosh looks like a body builder compared to Davis' slender frame.

http://img.guney.org/images/2010/01/bosh6.jpg

http://www.ballornuthin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/anthony-davis.jpg

JasonJohnHorn
04-10-2012, 06:23 PM
If I was the Wizards I would be putting Wall on the trading block and be looking to get a first round pick for him, if anybody would be willing to give one up. At this point, it just looks like Wall is not cut out for the league. That FG% is just TOO low! It hurts the offence when you have a score-first PG that can't shoot, and there is no nice way to say it. I'm sure he's a great person, but his product on the floor has not been than of an NBA starter.

There are much better, young NBA point guards who would make a much better pairing with Davis than Wall.

The X
04-10-2012, 07:03 PM

I did the math

You are 19, maybe 20...

NoahH
04-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Except that Wall is no Westbrook, Davis is no Durant and Vesley is no Harden

loublue22
04-10-2012, 11:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYW5WuZt7Qo

This game I think does a pretty good job in showing his skill set. I wish the game at Florida to end the regular season had full highlights on Youtube, because it was actually better. Steve Kerr was doing that game for CBS, and he sounded like he was in awe the entire time.