PDA

View Full Version : Buy or Sell: Eric Gordon

NoahH
04-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Buy or Sell: Eric Gordon will never live up to his full potential because of injuries.

Lloyd Christmas
04-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Buy.

da ThRONe
04-09-2012, 11:08 PM
As a NOLA fan I say sell and sell ASAP. Kids a special talent, but I feel a lot safer trading him for some high draft picks this year and the following year. Injuries tend to have an accumulative affect. Wish EJ all the health in the world (especially if we keep him) however as a fan I'm not willing to bet max dollars on it.

BaustinSali08
04-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Sell, Eric Gordon will go on a tear within the next few years when he is healthy and be a solid #2 star for any team.

Buy or Sell? Do the Pacers get out of the first round of the playoffs this year?

Hawkeye15
04-09-2012, 11:19 PM
at the moment? Sell. Sure he has PLENTY of time to turn it around, but you are only as good as your previous season in professional sports.

CarniifeX
04-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Sell. Dude is a special talent and is still under 25. He has plenty of time to get over his injury bug.

mdm692
04-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Sell. Come to phx and those injuries are in the past :D

sep11ie
04-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Buy or sell on DWade?

thekmp211
04-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Buy or sell on DWade?

i'm not sure what this was supposed to mean, but within context i'm pretty sure it was a dumb comment.

as a snap decision, taking into account none of the infinite variables that will ultimately decide the outcome of this question, i will say buy. it is not encouraging that he was unable to stay on the court this season, one where he had a lot to gain and a lot to lose. players usually put their best foot forward in those situations. if he couldn't it could say something about his durability, but the fact of the matter is he's still an injury or two away from this being legitimate. but you asked, so there's the guess.

da ThRONe
04-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Buy or sell on DWade?

I think Gordon game is very similiar to Wade and I believe that's EJ's ceiling. With that said Wade has reached his apex so I don't see how this is a relevant question.

3mikee_
04-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Way too injury prone.. he just looks fragile.. and his game doesn't really help either. He gets knocked around way too often.. basically a weaker version of Dwade and Wade has got enough injuries.

UnWantedTheory
04-10-2012, 04:05 AM
sell

UKblazers
04-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Buy. My worst nightmare is the blazers throwing max money at him this summer and given our track record with injuries....

He's still young though and before the last Olympics people thought D wade was too injury prone and he averaged 77 games the next 3 years.

ldawg
04-10-2012, 07:17 AM
It was a dumb trade then and its a dumb trade now. The Rockets/Lakers trade was better. But when you try and keep a team down you hurt yourself in the process.

thekmp211
04-10-2012, 07:42 AM
It was a dumb trade then and its a dumb trade now. The Rockets/Lakers trade was better. But when you try and keep a team down you hurt yourself in the process.

yerp a derp. don't expect much agreement around here though. stern got what he deserved out of that situation.

xnick5757
04-10-2012, 07:45 AM

there is no way you can judge the trade right now.

the hornets have the 3rd best odds at winning the Davis sweepstakes right now: 15.6%.

the timberwolves pick they have right now projects for #10. There will still be some good players in this deep draft available around that time.

lets look at what they would have gotten in the lakers/rockets trade

kevin martin - has been ok this year, shooting has been meh
luis scola - really fell off this year
lamar odom - LOL
pick between #15-#18

the best piece of the deal would have been goran dragic. he is an RFA though, just like gordon.

that team would be doomed to competing for the 8 seed, never having a real shot at the playoffs.

thekmp211
04-10-2012, 08:09 AM
there is no way you can judge the trade right now.

the hornets have the 3rd best odds at winning the Davis sweepstakes right now: 15.6%.

the timberwolves pick they have right now projects for #10. There will still be some good players in this deep draft available around that time.

lets look at what they would have gotten in the lakers/rockets trade

kevin martin - has been ok this year, shooting has been meh
luis scola - really fell off this year
lamar odom - LOL
pick between #15-#18

the best piece of the deal would have been goran dragic. he is an RFA though, just like gordon.

that team would be doomed to competing for the 8 seed, never having a real shot at the playoffs.

not sure how you can say that when those three core players (edit: two since martins injury) are leading houston to a six seed.

either way, re: dragic, i'd rather have him right now (breaking out) than gordon (doubling down on injury concerns.) the other guys you do with what you please -- re-tool on the fly and be as/more competitive than last year or flip some veterans for more assets.

i've said my piece on the trade, you can argue the specifics but it 10000% should not have been overturned. so far the results have only reinforced this for me.

blastmasta26
04-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Can't believe people still support the Houston/LA trade. When you are trading away Chris ****ing Paul, you aren't going to get equal value. That trade puts them in basketball purgatory: the line between a low playoff seed and a late lottery draft pick, meaning no hope for contention or real improvement. The Clips trade at the very least keeps them in good draft position, a young player that they can build with or even trade, and gives them more cap space than the other deal. Rebuilding is far superior to mediocrity.

xnick5757
04-10-2012, 08:32 AM
not sure how you can say that when those three core players (edit: two since martins injury) are leading houston to a six seed.

either way, re: dragic, i'd rather have him right now (breaking out) than gordon (doubling down on injury concerns.) the other guys you do with what you please -- re-tool on the fly and be as/more competitive than last year or flip some veterans for more assets.

i've said my piece on the trade, you can argue the specifics but it 10000% should not have been overturned. so far the results have only reinforced this for me.

i agree, but the fact remains that the clippers trade was better for a rebuilding team.

we all know stern will give the hornets the #1 pick (see Cavaliers, Cleveland), so when you factor in anthony davis the clippers trade is clearly better

king4day
04-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Suns will be desperate to keep Nash. NOLA won't have any leverage if he's a restricted FA and a team like Phoenix offers a max deal. Not to say he's worth it, but they won't match that. The Suns need a star in the worst way and are backed into a corner.

uprightciti
04-10-2012, 08:36 AM
buy

pros
dudes got talent
can lead a team
great overall player

cons
injury prone
not very outspoken

thekmp211
04-10-2012, 08:38 AM
i agree, but the fact remains that the clippers trade was better for a rebuilding team.

we all know stern will give the hornets the #1 pick (see Cavaliers, Cleveland), so when you factor in anthony davis the clippers trade is clearly better

i guess but yeah the point is the difference wasn't so egregious that the trade needed vetoing.

presuming this is the case with the pick, yes. but hard to say anyone knew davis was going to be THIS good coming into his freshman year. i kinda want to see him play in cleveland as well, alongside kyrie.

nolafan33
04-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Suns will be desperate to keep Nash. NOLA won't have any leverage if he's a restricted FA and a team like Phoenix offers a max deal. Not to say he's worth it, but they won't match that. The Suns need a star in the worst way and are backed into a corner.

This doesn't make any sense. He's a RFA, we have all the leverage in the world.

da ThRONe
04-10-2012, 11:19 AM

This makes no sense. Not matching any offer will be the equivalent of trading Chris Paul for a draft pick. If any team gets Gordon from the Hornets it won't be because they out bidded us. It will be in a sign and trade.

The orginal trade was terrible for this team. Odom quit, Martin has done nothing, and Scola has been ok. The best part about the trade was Dragic.

king4day
04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
This doesn't make any sense. He's a RFA, we have all the leverage in the world.

If you are willing to pay him the max with the Ownership issues then yes you do. If you are not, then all a team has to do is offer the max and see if you guys match it.
For a guy who isn't maxworthy, it'd be a tough pill to swallow.

king4day
04-10-2012, 11:50 AM
This makes no sense. Not matching any offer will be the equivalent of trading Chris Paul for a draft pick. If any team gets Gordon from the Hornets it won't be because they out bidded us. It will be in a sign and trade.

The orginal trade was terrible for this team. Odom quit, Martin has done nothing, and Scola has been ok. The best part about the trade was Dragic.

Has New Orleans talked about matching any offers? Not saying they won't, I just have a hard time seeing a team owned by the league overpaying a guy while they're trying to find a buyer.

He115ing
04-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Disassemble Gordon mix it all up with some parts from Oden and Roy and the finished product might play one game before self imploding from a gazillion of injuries.

Pacerlive
04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Has New Orleans talked about matching any offers? Not saying they won't, I just have a hard time seeing a team owned by the league overpaying a guy while they're trying to find a buyer.

I don't believe they have. At the deadline they offered Gordon 4 years and a little over 50 mill. Not the max so who knows but I doubt he goes to the Suns when Indy is an option for him.

da ThRONe
04-10-2012, 11:59 AM

No, but it will be unthinkable if we let EJ walk for nothing. Even if some team wanted to over pay Gordon it would be in their best interest to work with us to trade for Eric. Instead of making an offer that can and will be matched if nothing else to save face.

sep11ie
04-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I think Gordon game is very similiar to Wade and I believe that's EJ's ceiling. With that said Wade has reached his apex so I don't see how this is a relevant question.

My point was I look at him as a Wade type player, and Wade hasn't been the symbol of health himself(yet I'd still buy on him). A player of his potential is worth the risk... To me at least.

CudiOnMyiPod
04-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Sell. With the lack of star SG, and the top ones being older (Wade, Kobe, Ginobili, Johnson) Gordon can be a top 3 SG easily. He is an explosive scorer and I hope Dallas throws a huge offer to him if the D.Will plan backfires.

NoahH
04-10-2012, 02:08 PM
He's struggled to stay on the court all year

nolafan33
04-11-2012, 11:48 AM
If you are willing to pay him the max with the Ownership issues then yes you do. If you are not, then all a team has to do is offer the max and see if you guys match it.

The Hornets are close to an owner. The bill that would contain the money to upgrade the Arena is already being viewed by a committee, and has been for a couple weeks now, that will get passed and the lease agreement will go into effect. That has always been the plan, lease first, then a owner shortly after that.

By the time the Hornets have to make these decisions about paying Gordon, someone like Raj or Benson will own the team. We already offered him 13M a season. If a team offers him a long term deal, it's a pretty easy decision on the Hornets part to whether or not they should match.

da ThRONe
04-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Any team who is willing to over pay for Gordon will also be willing to trade for Gordon.