PDA

View Full Version : Collins calls 76ers young players "sensitive and fragile"

spreadeagle
04-09-2012, 12:46 PM
With all that the top spot and the Atlantic as well as the four seed have gone out the window — right now the Sixers are tied for the eight spot and are just a game up on the Bucks from being out of the playoffs altogether.

Collin’s nature in this situation is to be even more old school, hard-***** — but he says he can’t. That his players are too fragile. Here is the quote from Gethin Coolbaugh of SBN.

“The one thing about players today is that they’re very sensitive, and very fragile,” Collins said before his team’s game against the Boston Celtics on Easter Sunday. “They didn’t grow up with tough coaches. You know, I had my *** kicked since I was six. It’s a different time, and so I treat this team very much with kid gloves. I really do, and I’m still looked at as an ogre…

“It’s terrible, I mean, it’s hard. It really is hard,” he said. “I honestly find myself during the games looking at the coach [and asking], ‘Was I alright with those guys during that timeout? Did I hurt anybody’s feelings? Was I OK?’… ‘Coach, you’re fine, you’re fine’… I said ‘OK, OK, I just wanted to make sure I didn’t hurt anybody’s feelings.’ That’s the sensitivity, and the younger the guys, it seems like the more sensitive. And that’s what you’re wrestling with.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/09/collins-calls-76ers-young-players-sensitive-fragile/

Cfrey
04-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Did he just say "Did I hurt anybody's feelings?"

LOL this man is worried about feelings?? This is professional basketball. You don't worry about the guys who can't take the heat from a coach.

I played basketball for a long time and I hated it when my coach got on me but thats part of the game. Collins is right when he says players are coddled nowadays but that doesn't mean he should worry about their on-court emotions.

Feeling bad for someone off the court or trying not to hurt their feelings away from the game is fine but that should be the last thing he's worrying about after a timeout.

Get your **** together philly.

FriedTofuz
04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
If philly doesnt even make the playoffs and somehow gets a top 3 pick, with some more maturity, they could be a lock for the third best team in the eastern conference.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Motivating tecnique?

TrueFan420
04-09-2012, 01:08 PM
he right players now a days a little girls and need to have their hands held when in reality they need to stfu and bring their a game

lvlheaded
04-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Wow. It is definitely true in todays NBA, but I wouldnt come out and say it

shep33
04-09-2012, 01:22 PM
It's true. The "tough" coach just doesn't work to the same extent as it use to. Collins is being honest, and I appreciate that.

Ezio
04-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Collins has lost that fire :pity:

Ezio
04-09-2012, 01:24 PM
It's true. The "tough" coach just doesn't work to the same extent as it use to. Collins is being honest, and I appreciate that.

Thibs has done wonders with Korver's on ball D and it all started with him chewing Korver out during a timeout.

Missing56&33
04-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Never should have let Samuel Dalembert and Willie Green go. They lack toughness right now. Its not only on coach Collins but Iggy and Brand have to get in guys ***** and they're not doing it.

From what I got the message is directed at those two players.

He115ing
04-09-2012, 01:38 PM

LOL this man is worried about feelings?? This is professional basketball. You don't worry about the guys who can't take the heat from a coach.

I played basketball for a long time and I hated it when my coach got on me but thats part of the game. Collins is right when he says players are coddled nowadays but that doesn't mean he should worry about their on-court emotions.

Feeling bad for someone off the court or trying not to hurt their feelings away from the game is fine but that should be the last thing he's worrying about after a timeout.

Plus he is not coaching a bunch of pre pubescent girls. He is coaching grown azz men, who, don't forget are getting played millions to do something they love. So I say **** their feeling! If they can't take the heat then GTFO!

blastmasta26
04-09-2012, 01:40 PM
"Did I hurt anybody's feelings?" :laugh2:

Never thought I would hear that from an NBA coach, let alone one like Collins.

TrueFan420
04-09-2012, 01:41 PM

its not just the nba its in the youth ranks now too

The Ooh Child
04-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Never should have let Samuel Dalembert and Willie Green go. They lack toughness right now. Its not only on coach Collins but Iggy and Brand have to get in guys ***** and they're not doing it.

From what I got the message is directed at those two players.

Collins said that the younger the player, the more sensitive the player is, but he was actually calling out the two oldest players on the roster?

Hustla23
04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Collins is a good coach. I don't think Philadelphia should let him go.

shep33
04-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Thibs has done wonders with Korver's on ball D and it all started with him chewing Korver out during a timeout.

True, but in the latter end of his coaching career, Larry Brown's persona didn't fit well with the new generation.

Anybody remember when Larry coached that failed team USA? Multiple players disliked playing for him, and it was pretty public.

Some guys can handle it, some can't. Actually most can't these days.

ironman9518
04-09-2012, 01:51 PM
I personally don't like Collins, haven't since halfway through last year

torocan
04-09-2012, 01:55 PM

Tell that to SVG and Dwight.

The players pretty much run the teams now. Couple that with the entitlement mentality of alot of younger people (Pro athletes are just society writ large) and that's what you get.

Old style coaches would rip your head off at every level of play from high school to the pro's. Now the kids are coddled and over-protected by the parents and their agents through their entire careers.

It's not surprising at all when the tough coaches find it continually harder and harder to extract high performance on a nightly basis, especially when they don't have the tools to discipline the players in the NBA (unlike baseball and the NFL).

GiantsSwaGG
04-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Where's the sixer fans at?

Missing56&33
04-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Collins said that the younger the player, the more sensitive the player is, but he was actually calling out the two oldest players on the roster?

Yeah, you need leaders on the team, the coach can only do so much, I never see Brand or Iggy getting on guys. They are the vets, its what vets should do.

Missing56&33
04-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I personally don't like Collins, haven't since halfway through last year

Well he only led the Sixers to the playoffs and won a game vs the Heat in his first season. WOW, you're tough to please.

Do your research, he coached Michael Jordan in the playoffs for years and has full support from the best player ever to play the game. Could have easily been in Phil Jackson's shoes with 6 championships, if not for Bulls management.

His young players are not looking at that.....they are little *****es right now.

ironman9518
04-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Well he only led the Sixers to the playoffs and won a game vs the Heat in his first season. WOW, you're tough to please.

Do your research, he coached Michael Jordan in the playoffs for years and has full support from the best player ever to play the game. Could have easily been in Phil Jackson's shoes with 6 championships, if not for Bulls management.

His young players are not looking at that.....they are little *****es right now.

He led them to the playoffs as a 7 seed in the very weak east.....and he coached MJ to how many titles? I don't care what he COULD HAVE done

shep33
04-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I don't think it's his fault that they're struggling. They need to get a nice vet in there (outside of Brand) to help lead the younger guys.

They really don't have a primary scorer, and IMO, they have way too many guards/wing players. Even Hawes plays on the perimeter a lot. Sometimes, it's just tough for them to score, they have to work really hard for baskets.

smith&wesson
04-09-2012, 02:45 PM

I think thats what he is saying though. its a problem becuase he finds himself having to worry about their hurt feelings thus not playing hard for him. its unreal.

sixer04fan
04-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Never should have let Samuel Dalembert and Willie Green go.

Yeah... That's definitely the problem. :facepalm:

BklynKnicks3
04-09-2012, 03:38 PM
sixers are terrible got lucky with that easy sched

Evolution23
04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I called the sixers demise earlier in the season but no one listened

mp3
04-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Doug Collins is the reason the Sixers have progressed this year but he is also the reason why the team will never get better. Collins has screwed with Jrue and Turner way too much. Collins is right that players can be too sensitive but he creates that issue on his own. Collins literally tries to coach the team every single possession of the game. You can't do that in the NBA. You need to let the players just play the dam game and stop interfering constantly. Do you know how annoying that must be? Collins is a great motivational speaker for the team and getting them to play better than they actually are. As an actual coach he is nothing special. Can't make adjustments any more, terrible at drawing up plays especially on final possessions where he lets Lou Williams chuck up ridiculous shots, and can't make proper substitutions.

The whole "team basketball" philosophy is a complete joke and cop out for not having a star. This team will never be relevant trying to play "team basketball" and by that I mean winning a playoff round. If any other Sixer's fan is going to try and argue anything I just said, then your just being naive and blowing Collins way too hard.

ironman9518
04-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Doug Collins is the reason the Sixers have progressed this year but he is also the reason why the team will never get better. Collins has screwed with Jrue and Turner way too much. Collins is right that players can be too sensitive but he creates that issue on his own. Collins literally tries to coach the team every single possession of the game. You can't do that in the NBA. You need to let the players just play the dam game and stop interfering constantly. Do you know how annoying that must be? Collins is a great motivational speaker for the team and getting them to play better than they actually are. As an actual coach he is nothing special. Can't make adjustments any more, terrible at drawing up plays especially on final possessions where he lets Lou Williams chuck up ridiculous shots, and can't make proper substitutions.

The whole "team basketball" philosophy is a complete joke and cop out for not having a star. This team will never be relevant trying to play "team basketball" and by that I mean winning a playoff round. If any other Sixer's fan is going to try and argue anything I just said, then your just being naive and blowing Collins way too hard.

I 100% agree with everything here, especially the bold. Well said sir

Furymaker
04-09-2012, 07:03 PM
I loved when my coach yelled at me , I got so pumped up and wanted to prove him something , dont know about phillys players , but in chicago thibs yelling obviously helps a lot