PDA

View Full Version : Carreno down, Laffey up

PJ Awesome
04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Jays call up Laffey, as per the Jays..facebook account. I wanted Laffey up all along! good stuff

tuck25
04-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Bad move!!!

1hardcore
04-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Bad move!!!

Well yes and no ...

I think. Carreno needs to develop another pitch and work on his command a bit , but Laffey i think is just another , JJ Reyes and Dana Eveland. I dont see him doing well

Carreno should be in the BP though. I like his composure

tuck25
04-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I guess hes only going to the pen to give another lefty in there against boston, as long as he dont start im ok with it i guess... True Carreno need another pitch to start but hes still miles ahead of Laffey, they have way better options to start then him...

Farsight
04-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Laffey will just be pitching out of the bullpen as another left handed pitcher, which is fine by me as we dont need a starter until the 21st. if not... than i have an issue with this move

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 12:45 PM
they did cause they needed a lefty and carreno cant pitch for 5 more days and provide any help in relief since he's not scheduled until april 21st so he'd just be eating a spot on the roster. that and the bullpen is spent and they could use an extra arm as insurance in case one of their starters cant go deep in any of the games...

Twitchy
04-09-2012, 12:48 PM
If they use Laffey as a LOOGY he won't be terrible. And since they don't need a fifth starter for a while it should be fine.

phillipmike
04-09-2012, 01:05 PM
If they use Laffey as a LOOGY he won't be terrible. And since they don't need a fifth starter for a while it should be fine.

Yep and by that time McGowan should be back. Nothing earth shattering as this move on paper helps us on the short term (have Laffy as a lefty in the pen against the Sox) and gives Carreno more starts (something he would not have gotten with the Jays). If everything works out then Laffy will be effective in the pen in this series and Carreno will develop in the minors.

The move makes a lot of sense.

BlueJayFanDan
04-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Solid move for our bullpen. I feel bad for Carreno. But we all knew he wasn't up long term.

mtf
04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
I wanted Laffey up all along! good stuff

Why?
:confused:

nithanyo
04-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Laffey is not worth the roster spot. We shoulda called someone else up if we needed a bullpen arm.

Plus I know Carreno didnt have a good game but its a hell of a lot better than what Cecil would have given us

JermanJaysFan
04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Laffey is not worth the roster spot. We shoulda called someone else up if we needed a bullpen arm.

Plus I know Carreno didnt have a good game but its a hell of a lot better than what Cecil would have given us
Who do you propose? I'm assuming a young arm, in which case I would argue that it's not worth pulling a young arm out of their role in the minors to be an 8th arm in the 'pen.

PJ Awesome
04-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Why?
:confused:

Just made a little more sense having a more expirienced lefty to go to rather than Carreno

mtf
04-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Just made a little more sense having a more expirienced lefty to go to rather than Carreno

I disagree. I mean, I never thought Carreno was the right guy to bring up to start but I have no love for Laffey. Laffey has a career ERA slightly over 4.40 and a WHIP of 1.539. I think Laffey looks like this year's Dana Eveland or Jo-Jo Reyes, and I'd much rather see someone like Drew Hutchison, Chad Jenkins or even Carlos Villaneuva get a couple of starts in the interim.

koreancabbage
04-09-2012, 10:37 PM
I think they don't need to roll out a 5th starter so this is just bullpen help, considering how taxed they were the last series. Good move