PDA

View Full Version : Mavs & Odom part ways for rest of season

kdspurman
04-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Wow

"The Mavericks and I have mutually agreed that it's in the best interest of both parties for me to step away from the team," Odom said in a statement to ESPN.com. "I'm sorry that things didn't work out better for both of us, but I wish the Mavs' organization, my teammates and Dallas fans nothing but continued success in the defense of their championship."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7791431/dallas-mavericks-lamar-odom-sever-ties-immediately

KB-Pau-DH2012
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7791431/dallas-mavericks-lamar-odom-sever-ties-immediately

Lamar Odom's brief and bumpy ride with the Dallas Mavericks has come to an abrupt end.

The Mavericks and Odom spent Easter Sunday working out a parting, according to sources close to the situation, that frees the struggling Odom to leave the team immediately without actually being released.

"The Mavericks and I have mutually agreed that it's in the best interest of both parties for me to step away from the team," Odom said in a statement to ESPN.com. "I'm sorry that things didn't work out better for both of us, but I wish the Mavs' organization, my teammates and Dallas fans nothing but continued success in the defense of their championship."

Sources said Monday that Odom's departure will be immediate and that the Mavericks intend to simply list him as inactive for the rest of the season instead of outright releasing him, leaving open the possibility that they could still trade him after the season in conjunction with the draft. Any team that has Odom on its roster as of June 29 must buy him out by that date for $2.4 million or otherwise accept responsibility for the full $8.2 million that Odom is scheduled to earn in 2012-13.

Even if either side had pushed for a formal release, there is little upside to taking that step now with Odom ineligible to play in the playoffs with another team because he wasn't waived before the March 23 deadline. One source close to the 32-year-old told ESPN.com that the decision sets Odom up to "clear his head and start getting ready for next season" after his career-low numbers and minutes continued to dip as the season wore on.

Odom will not be at practice Monday, sources said, after he was given just four first-quarter minutes of playing time Saturday night in Memphis, accounting for the low point of a consistently rocky season in Dallas following his trade in December from the Los Angeles Lakers.

Odom's representatives pushed for the trade to Dallas after it became known that the Lakers had agreed to trade Odom to the league-owned New Orleans Hornets as part of a Chris Paul blockbuster that was ultimately vetoed by NBA comissioner David Stern in his role as the Hornets' lead decision-maker.

Throughout Odom's season-long struggles to adapt to his new surroundings, Mavs officials and players have repeatedly expressed confidence that the former Laker could still be a playoff X-factor, pointing to the team's 0-7 record without him as evidence that his presence -- if only for the minute relief Odom gives star forward Dirk Nowitzki -- has helped the team on some level.

But exasperation with Odom's languid play reached an apparent breaking point in Memphis. Both coach Rick Carlisle and Nowitzki refused to discuss the Odom situation after Dallas' 94-89 defeat to the Grizzlies.

"No Lamar questions tonight," Carlisle told reporters.

Nowitzki, meanwhile, fielded questions for four minutes about his own struggles in the Memphis defeat -- including two late turnovers -- but ended the interview when asked about Odom.

"I'm done talking about that," Nowitzki said.

Associates of the veteran forward, meanwhile, have long maintained privately that his lack of a clear-cut role with the Mavericks -- where minutes behind Nowitzki are limited -- complicated the transition. Lakers star Kobe Bryant said as much after a game in Dallas recently, describing himself as "pleasantly surprised" that the Odom deal wasn't coming back to haunt L.A.

"It's tough," Bryant said. "He comes to a team that's pretty much set, you know what I mean? So it's hard for him to find his niche. The fans, they don't really understand what he does or how he can do it, you know what I mean?

"I hope they don't unlock that mystery. I know. I know how to use him and to use his skill set and this, that and the other. But with this team, the roster that they had being pretty much set, it's tough for him to be able to find his groove here."

After declining to offer defensive anchor Tyson Chandler more than a one-year deal in the offseason to preserve future salary-cap flexibility, even after Chandler's pivotal role in the Mavericks' championship breakthrough last season, Dallas used the resulting trade exception created by Chandler's sign-and-trade move to the New York Knicks to bring Odom in with the idea that the parties could help each greatly on a one-season basis.

Dallas was initially seen as an ideal destination for Odom to start over after the jolt of being discarded by the Lakers, but he began the season well short of peak condition after a tumultuous summer on a personal level and never quite caught up.

Left reeling by the July murder of his 24-year-old cousin and a fatal car accident days later that killed a teen pedestrian after the car he was riding in as a passenger collided with a motorcycle, Odom did almost no basketball training during the five-month lockout. The contrast in preparation to his final season with the Lakers was stark; Odom won NBA Sixth Man Award honors in 2010-11 after spending the bulk of the 2010 summer with Team USA, often playing as a center for a squad that won the FIBA World Championships in Turkey.

Odom leaves the team averaging just 6.6 points and 4.1 rebounds in 20.5 minutes per game while shooting 35.2 percent from the field and 25.2 percent on 3-pointers, all career lows by some distance.

Unlike a leave Odom was granted just before the All-Star break, there are no plans to bring him back to the team this time, sources said.

Hawkeye15
Don't release him. Let him rot, and don't give him a chance to latch onto a contender.

Hawkeye15
04-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Don't release him. Let him rot, and don't give him a chance to latch onto a contender.

kdspurman
04-09-2012, 10:03 AM

He won't be released. Just not playing anymore for the year it looks like lol

"The Mavericks and Odom spent Easter Sunday working out a parting, according to sources close to the situation, that frees the struggling Odom to leave the team immediately without actually being released."

MonroeFAN
04-09-2012, 10:04 AM
doesn't sound like they are releasing him. What a punk bia. His wife is nasty too.

AddiX
04-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Before this year who knew odom was so emotionally and mentally weak.?

BALLER R
04-09-2012, 10:15 AM

People in LA probably knew this about him. I think thats what Kobe means by the way he talks about Odom.

BALLER R
04-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Also do you guys think that Lamar n Khloe show is starting to affect him?

FriedTofuz
04-09-2012, 10:18 AM
can lamar sign with the lakers again?

ModernDaySavage
04-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Also do you guys think that Lamar n Khloe show is starting to affect him?

I'm pretty sure that show would affect anybody.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-09-2012, 10:23 AM

He is still on the roster. They will not release him. He is still a Maverick, just won't play for them anymore.

LTBaByyy
04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
So he wont get paid either since he wont have game checks???

Best thing in the world, now lets get back to winning

LTBaByyy
04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
I am sure the locker room is 10x better now

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Best thing in the world, now lets get back to winning

You don't get checks by games. He is still going to get his 8.9M this season, he'll just be a DNP the rest of the way.

JayJ
04-09-2012, 10:32 AM

Even if he signed with the Lakers this seasons he is not eligible for the playoffs.

MintBerryCrunch
04-09-2012, 10:34 AM
I :pray: that we resign him in the offseason .
I think the only way he'll produce and truly be happy is in a Lakers uniform.

JJ_JKidd
04-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Such a sad story oweeeeeeel :o

LTBaByyy
04-09-2012, 10:38 AM
He can't sign with the Lakers

Plus the Mavs can trade him to a sorry team in the offseason or just buy him out

gatkins11
04-09-2012, 10:40 AM
I wish I could make millions of dollars sitting on my butt.

MonroeFAN
04-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Um

torocan
04-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Can't say I'm all that surprised.

Odom has had a really rough year.

Over the summer his cousin dies, he's in a car accident where he watches a kid die, lockout/compressed season, then finds out the team he loves tried to trade him.

You could tell that despite being asked to be traded to Dallas that his heart really wasn't in it.

He's been a very good player throughout his career but he's been lost this season.

Hopefully he finds his way back.

Law25
04-09-2012, 10:49 AM

Meantally wak?!?!?!? Your an idiot. Do you know how much up close and personel death Lamar has had to deal with in the last 7 years? Did you read the part in the article about his vehicle killing someone this offseason? Lamar has had to try to motivate himself to play ball year in year out with the Grim Reaper breathing down his neck. Add in the fact he felt disrespected by a franchise he gave his all to, and he has a celebrity marriage to a damn Kardashian. I think Lamar is as strong minded as they come, but your a jack ***.

heyman321
04-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Wow what a *****. How soft must he be?

heyman321
04-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Meantally wak?!?!?!? Your an idiot. Do you know how much up close and personel death Lamar has had to deal with in the last 7 years? Did you read the part in the article about his vehicle killing someone this offseason? Lamar has had to try to motivate himself to play ball year in year out with the Grim Reaper breathing down his neck. Add in the fact he felt disrespected by a franchise he gave his all to, and he has a celebrity marriage to a damn Kardashian. I think Lamar is as strong minded as they come, but your a jack ***.

Yes, that is terrible and all, but you're acting as if that doesn't happen to anyone else in the world. you're putting him on a pedestal. Despite all that, you should still act professional and put forth effort.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-09-2012, 10:55 AM
LMAO Dallas

Nice salary dump by Jimbaco

D12 fan
04-09-2012, 10:56 AM
People are bashing Dwight for trying to get his coach fired,But Odom gets a pass because he quit on his team,this guy should suck it up and play basketball,this is your job and he's lucky that he has a chance to play in the NBA,I wouldn't sign him if I was a gm.I lost respect for Odom,he just quit on the city of Dallas,just so he can get back to LA,to live with his celebrity girlfriend.

Odom is a loser.

Avenged
04-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Would love to have him back :sigh:

His lack of production is simply because he doesn't want to play there.. If he were to play for a team he wants to I'm sure he would not suck this bad. Shame that it had to come down to this though.. As a professional who's getting payed he should really always give it his all regardless. And he would actually be a very big piece to that team if he played like how he did with the Lakers.

mamba24
04-09-2012, 10:59 AM

He can sign with anyone except the Lakers BUT he will be inellible for the playoffs... The deadline to join a team and be elligle for the playoff roster was like March 23rd or something like that

Thunder 9
04-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Odom will be inactive for the rest of the season

BlondeBomber41
04-09-2012, 11:28 AM
The main thing I'm pissed about is that we gave up a 1st rounder in a deep draft and then the Lakers basically used it to go get a PG in Ramon Sessions who is perfect for their system.

Odom can go **** himself though, whiny piece of ****. Everyone has personal issues and demons, doesn't mean you don't go out there and play. Dirk found out in the middle of the playoffs against the Nuggets that his girlfriend was basically a con artist whore and despite being upset he went out there and dropped 30+/10+ against the Nuggets every night.

Davidgta1
04-09-2012, 11:31 AM
He should go to the Knicks be a good pick up IF he could play like he use to.

DoubleDragon
04-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Would love to have him back :sigh:

His lack of production is simply because he doesn't want to play there.. If he were to play for a team he wants to I'm sure he would not suck this bad. Shame that it had to come down to this though.. As a professional who's getting payed he should really always give it his all regardless. And he would actually be a very big piece to that team if he played like how he did with the Lakers.

I want him back as well. But you just know the Clips will find a way to get him back to Staples in the other locker room.

Wow. What a crazy thing this Odom thing was.

BKLYNpigeon
04-09-2012, 11:35 AM
so.... do you guys still think that Lakers got raped in the Trade?

BKLYNpigeon
04-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Odom would be perfect on the Clippers. that team is made up with soft babies.

Cal827
04-09-2012, 11:37 AM
He should go to the Knicks be a good pick up IF he could play like he use to.

Meh it's the Knicks... anything is a good pick up for them... hell I would say that a piece of raccoon **** laying out on the sidewalk would bee a good pick-up for them.... just trollin knick fans :D

On a side note, isn't there already a thread on this?

Davidgta1
04-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Meh it's the Knicks... anything is a good pick up for them... hell I would say that a piece of raccoon **** laying out on the sidewalk would bee a good pick-up for them.... just trollin knick fans :D

On a side note, isn't there already a thread on this?

Haha

Cfrey
04-09-2012, 11:45 AM
He can't go anywhere til after the season.

lvlheaded
04-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Isn't he going through a divorce right now too? Something like he cheated on his wife and got caught? I guess that's what happens in that family though. Sucks for Odom. Hopefully he can get his shot together for next year

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Isn't he going through a divorce right now too? Something like he cheated on his wife and got caught? I guess that's what happens in that family though. Sucks for Odom. Hopefully he can get his shot together for next year

:confused:

MrfadeawayJB
04-09-2012, 11:59 AM
What a dissappointment. Just goes to show you how immaturity and lack of professionalism can hurt you. He was by far the worst player on their roster when he plays uninspired

thephoenixson28
04-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Good fit for Phoenix. Why not release him.

cheaptrikz
04-09-2012, 12:10 PM
they dont wanna help a contender so they will nit release him

Giraffes Rule
04-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Releasing him would serve no purpose. Even if he signed elsewhere, he couldn't play in the playoffs.

lakers4sho
04-09-2012, 12:11 PM
so.... do you guys still think that Lakers got raped in the Trade?

Yes...are you kidding me?

a reigning sixth man of a year for a draft pick...

lakersiznumber1
04-09-2012, 12:12 PM
he will be back with his old team in la next season. Not with the purple and gold but with lob city

LakersIn5
04-09-2012, 12:16 PM
i think he still could play well averaging 30 min a game like he is used to. dallas isnt really a good fit for him.

thedfactor
04-09-2012, 12:21 PM
As a Mavs fan I feel :dance:

Baller1
04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
This situation just got worse and worse and the season dragged on... Damn.

ghettosean
04-09-2012, 12:30 PM
The main thing I'm pissed about is that we gave up a 1st rounder in a deep draft and then the Lakers basically used it to go get a PG in Ramon Sessions who is perfect for their system.

Odom can go **** himself though, whiny piece of ****. Everyone has personal issues and demons, doesn't mean you don't go out there and play. Dirk found out in the middle of the playoffs against the Nuggets that his girlfriend was basically a con artist whore and despite being upset he went out there and dropped 30+/10+ against the Nuggets every night.

The bolded is 100% true.... This drama has been going on all season and there is 3 weeks left you think Lamar would have got it together by now with front office standing by him.

Oh well let him rot on the bench.

AnthonyTyrael
04-09-2012, 12:33 PM
What is anybody willed to offer for him after all this? He's bargain for whatever team and will soon be the player that he used to be. That's ripping the Mavs but well, fool and shame on Cuban. Won't be the last I guess. Wait if 3D actually happens. If not, and in case that there is no plan b, c or at least a major upgrade to now, with quality players and youth, we're, the Mavs are, definitely ruined for quiet some years. Not financially though but in sports, thanks to Cuban ;-)

TheWhiteMamba
04-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Odom is such a little weak *****. He was the one who asked for the trade. How could he even be offended by being put into trade offers when he was going for CP3. Paul is 10x the player Odom ever could be. **** him. I dont feel sorry for him. And by quitting on Dallas he will make teams think twice about signing him in the offseason.

Sadds The Gr8
04-09-2012, 12:43 PM
big waste of a 1st round draft pick. Odom is a *****.

Stinkyoutsider
04-09-2012, 12:45 PM
I didn't see this coming? He was begging to get out of LA after he found out they wanted to offer him for Chris Paul. Man, if I was him, that would boost my ego! Being traded for Chris Paul? It's not like he's getting traded for Chris Duhon...

From what I see from him on the show, he's all about loyalty. But, man, this guy is a spoiled brat too! Clear his head? Please, he needed to go if the Mavs want to get rid of this distraction.

I bet you anything he tries to go back to LA (probably for his wife). If I was the Lakers, I wouldn't take him back unless they miss out on Howard.

VANEXEL9
04-09-2012, 12:50 PM
he felt disrespected by a franchise he gave his all to, and he has a celebrity marriage to a damn Kardashian. I think Lamar is as strong minded as they come, but your a jack ***.[/QUOTE]

so every player who is being traded has been disrespected?

VANEXEL9
04-09-2012, 12:52 PM

so every player who's being traded is disrespected by his franchise?

AnthonyTyrael
04-09-2012, 12:55 PM
And by quitting on Dallas he will make teams think twice about signing him in the offseason.

NBA is all about business. So sure, someone will welcome him with a bag of money. I'm 1000% sure. In the end, he has had one horrible year now but plenty of explanations and excuses therefor, you'll see and hear him talk badly. Guaranteed.

TrueFan420
04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
yea this is weird i wonder what is going threw his mind

AnthonyTyrael
04-09-2012, 01:13 PM
yea this is weird i wonder what is going threw his mind

In best case nothing. Not being focused, not caring.

jimbobjarree
04-09-2012, 01:15 PM
I wish I could make millions of dollars sitting on my butt.

would you swap places with Stephen Hawking?

RaiderLakersA's
04-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Hopefully Metta World Peace has given the name of his therapist to LO. From the loss of his child to so much death and upheaval in his life, stepping away from the game to get his head right seems the best thing for Odom.

RaiderLakersA's
04-09-2012, 01:16 PM
would you swap places with Stephen Hawking?

When your mind soars, the body doesn't matter.

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2012, 01:32 PM
I feel bad for Odom and the Mavs. A potentially great pairing that just didnt turn out. I think Odom should really look into getting back with the Lakers next season. He fits in so well with that roster and has such great chemistry with Gasol... And with Matt Barnes and Troy Murphy coming off the bench, LA would have the deepest front court in the league.

I always felt bad for Odom when he signed with the Heat and then got traded by them. He had really great production for the Heat his first season there and it looked like he and Wade were really building something special there. But he got to win a couple rings in LA and won the 6th Man Award, so I think its fair to say Odom has had a great career, even if he stopped playing now, but I think we may very well see Odom in the purple and gold again next season.

Hustla23
04-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Good for the Mavs. Sad that the dude couldn't just do what he gets paid 7 figures to do.

kobebabe
04-09-2012, 01:36 PM
I knew this was coming. Don't make sense to hold the dude hostage when he clearly didn't want to play for them from the get go!
The trade now look Stupid on Cuban and Smart for team Mitch K.....Got Sessions with the pick.....haha...look who is laughing now

Missing56&33
04-09-2012, 01:42 PM

I knew he was weak when he married Kloe K. Luckily he was on a Kobe Bryant led team. Difference between Kobe and Lamar is that Kobe don't let relationship issues effect his game/career.

kobebabe
04-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Now the so called "rape" trade look stupid on team Cuban and Pretty smart on team Jimbaco!

naps
04-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Kardashian effect. How the **** on earth Odom got into the Kardashian whores and that with the fat one? Kloe has a big role in this. She probably wants him back in LA for her own career. If that's the case then what a ****ing *****!

D-Will4Prez
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Guess it's true what they say, can't teach an old dog new tricks. Odom's probably gonna fail in any non-triangle offense he encounters.

D-Will4Prez
04-09-2012, 02:21 PM
I knew this was coming. Don't make sense to hold the dude hostage when he clearly didn't want to play for them from the get go!
The trade now look Stupid on Cuban and Smart for team Mitch K.....Got Sessions with the pick.....haha...look who is laughing now

It was a good risk at a low cost, don't see how it was stupid just because it didn't work out. But then again I guess hindsight is 20/20...

BKLYNpigeon
04-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Odom has had a tough year. He has been dealing with personal issues and did not even Practice or train during the offseason. Thats why the Lakers traded his butt.

Pakman
04-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Mavs still wont go anywhere in the playoffs

still1ballin
04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
I guess Lakers got the better end of the deal lolz

smith&wesson
04-09-2012, 02:40 PM
how do you go from 6th man of the year, to scrub in one season. is he having a bad year ? or just slowing down at this point ?

seems like he needs the triangle and has had a hard time adjusting to another systme. wonder whats next for him at this point. the mavs have been really kind to him and im not exactly sure why.

Kevj77
04-09-2012, 03:20 PM
He whined his way out of Dallas. Nobody is going to trade for him and I doubt Dallas wants him back after this. He will probably be bought out and sign back in LA for cheap. Maybe with the Clippers.

shep33
04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
The Lakers definitely knew about his psychological state, and they dealt him for it. I hope LO gets his life worked out, this is just a game, and he's had to go through a lot this year.

Deemerc
04-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I thought everyone wanted to play for Cuban and the mavs. :eyebrow:

stipe1280
04-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Add Odom to the ever growing list of spoiled, pampered NBA athletes. The guy threw a temper tantrum when he had to leave LA, never tried to give Dallas a chance and quit on his team. Guys like this are why guys like me are finding it harder and harder to follow professional basketball because simply put; no matter how talented today's athletes are, they'll never compare to the class that guys like Magic, Bird and Jordan brought to the court each and every day of their careers.

Lake_Show2416
04-09-2012, 04:39 PM
well i guess Mark Cuban was wrong when he said that Odom was the 2nd best player from last years Laker team

L.O coming back home in the summer

CudiOnMyiPod
04-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I thought everyone wanted to play for Cuban and the mavs. :eyebrow:

Because a guy who's life is really messed up now and has no intention of trying because of that means that no one wants to play for Dallas...

The goods
04-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Wow I thought odom was starting to pick up the pace?
That was smart of the mavs by not releasing him,I think odom wanted to leave and go to a contender but cuban ain't havin that. Lol

marj987
04-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Now we can sign khloe as our center.

jiggin
04-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Just proof that CRY BABIES come in all shapes and sizes.

What a ****ing moron. He gets to play a kids game and get paid millions of dollars yet he is so unhappy.

**** Off Lamar Odom, you are an idiot.

justjames
04-09-2012, 06:08 PM
I hope he can get his head on straight. Seems like a nice guy.

fadedmario
04-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Odom is a bum and is wife is an ugly cow.

GunFactor187
04-09-2012, 06:28 PM
He'll be back with the Lakers eventually, lol.

JOhnnyTHaJet
04-09-2012, 06:36 PM
But isnt Dallas where every player really wants to be? With that player first owner and promising squad?

Oh wait...

CudiOnMyiPod
04-09-2012, 06:43 PM
But isnt Dallas where every player really wants to be? With that player first owner and promising squad?

Oh wait...

Yeah. One player not wanting to be there means no one wants to be there.

Dwight doesn't want to go to LA so can I say no one wants to go there?

PleaseBeNice
04-09-2012, 07:13 PM
From the beginning of this drama I havent had a clue why it has started. Will someone enlighten me? Is odom being a cry baby the whole season for some reason? Can someone just give me a brief summary from start to finish?

NYtilIdie
04-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I never heard of a team parting ways with a player, but not actually releasing him. This is weird.

Sssmush
04-09-2012, 08:53 PM
*yawn* :yawn:

Make it stop already. Biggest non-story of the decade. The only story when Dallas traded for him shoulda been can you believe they sent a first round pick to get him?

A first round pick, I'll have you know, that then allowed the Lakers to get rid of Luke Walton AND Derek Fisher, and snatch up Ramon Sessions into the bargain.

Odom... HA HA HA. You know there are STILL people in the Laker forum saying how trading away Odom was the biggest mistake in Laker history, Jim Buss's most egregious, malicious mistake, and that without the Odom the Lakers have no chance of winning a title. In fact, at the beginning of the season, many MANY sportswriters and high profile NBA analysts were droning on and on about how the Lakers had flushed their title hopes down the drain by trading away Odom--whom they said was the most "versatile" forward in the league, gave the Lakers a huge advantage in the frontcourt, and was the GLUE that held the whole team together. How right they were, how right they were. Wait, I meant to say "HOW UNBELIEVABLY ****ING WRONG THEY WERE" and don't these morons even bother to watch a game now and then or use some common sense? Or even watch a Khloe show episode? Lamar moves so slow it's like he is constantly having mono or some kind of low metabolism thing. Guy is in slow motion yo.

Anyways, one last shout out, to everybody and all the NBA analysts that said the Lakers were through after the Odom trade, including Barkley, Magic, Stephen A-hole, everybody --- suck it *****es!!

dodie53
04-10-2012, 12:04 AM
dumb.

dodie53
04-10-2012, 12:10 AM
dumb.

lakersfan01
04-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Hey Cuban, thanks for paying his $8.9 million contract and giving us a 1st rd pick :laugh:

Bruno
04-10-2012, 12:20 AM
He can't sign with the Lakers

Plus the Mavs can trade him to a sorry team in the offseason or just buy him out
he has a team option for 2012-2013. Dallas won't pick it up, he'll become a FA.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

Bruno
04-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Hey Cuban, thanks for paying his $8.9 million contract and giving us a 1st rd pick :laugh:

he would have played better in LA. better than Murphy. we didn't even use the pick wisely. we used it to get rid of Fishers contract. The Odom trade helped the buss family, that's it. no talent was added to the lineup in his place, at all. LA essentially traded Odom and Fisher for Hill.

Young2Kinsler
04-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Good Riddance worthless ****

Sssmush
04-10-2012, 05:07 AM
he would have played better in LA. better than Murphy. we didn't even use the pick wisely. we used it to get rid of Fishers contract. The Odom trade helped the buss family, that's it. no talent was added to the lineup in his place, at all. LA essentially traded Odom and Fisher for Hill.

If it helps "the Buss family" then it helps the Lakers, because the Lakers are a family organization. And sending Odom, besides improving Laker chemistry and opening up minutes for regular speed or fast players, instead of a slow motion sugar rush player sliding around the court at half speed, dogging it, refusing to even jump and considered "versatile" because he can bounce pass to Kobe once in a while... look, why am I even bothering to debate this?

How can people STILL after what's been demonstrated in Dallas this year, STILL think it was a bad trade? Dallas took themselves out of title contention by making that trade, gave up Chandler, mixed up their salary cap situation; getting Odom + Carter was the dumb**** trifecta for that team, and not only exposed Odom as being Kobe's caddy, but also somewhat exposed Dirk.

And also, trading away Odom for a 1st just is what it is; what we did with the 1st after that is irrelevant. In any case, it allowed the team to subtract a potentially very divisive player from the team in Fisher, who also had a very undesirable contract and has been the worst starting point guard in the entire league for a good 3 years now. And we got back Jordan Hill, a somewhat raw young prospect with potential, who was the #8 lottery pick just a year and a half ago--probably much more valuable than the 24th pick this year would turn out to be.

Wow... so hilarious that even after Odom is just totally exposed, played out and ****ed on in Dallas, that some "Laker fans" are trying to say that trading him was a bad idea, and that somehow he would have played much better in LA, even under Mike Brown whom he clearly didn't want to play for.

Let me put it this way. If I was GM, I would've SENT a 2nd round pick + $1M cash for Dallas to take Odom's $8.9M contract. And Dallas would've STILL felt like they got ripped off.

As it is, Lakers got a 1st round pick for free right there. Odom should go play for the Knicks, maybe, then he can mope around with Carmelo and say how they should both be back on the Olympic team and eat candy bars or whatever.

Sssmush
04-11-2012, 02:30 AM
Just one more thing on this:

I know it may seem like I'm piling on here, and blah blah "what is this guys problem, Odom is a cool player and I like his reality show" etc, and why this guy talk bad about them writers and commentators, who are just trying to do their job, Odom was a good role player, etc, etc.

The reason I am harping on this, and rubbing it in a bit, and the reason why I've insisted on rubbing it in until the end of the thread, is that THIS issue precisely is what so many people have been holding up, pointing to it as their reason or proof of why Jim Buss is such a bad head of Laker personnel and such a bad new or future owner of the Lakers.

People have just gone wild on this issue, and thrown in all kinds of weird made up conspiracies and rumours, spiced up with tidbits from Phil Jackson and Ronnie Lester or Brian Shaw that seem right out of Moneyball. Look, I know that no one will ever read this thread, and most people probably wouldn't even get what I'm saying here anyways, so what does it matter.

But the point is, that on a very deep "in your face" level, Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak working together have now outsmarted like 9/10ths of the league, and that includes analysts, male models on ESPN, sportswriters, sports guys with gameshow formats and drunken roundtable discussions, color commentators, play by play guys, TNT halftime analysts and Jenny Craig spokesmen, reality show BFFs, hoops bloggers, coaches, GMs, and, basically everybody except for David Stern, who apparently saw this early and was able to "Munson" Jim and Mitch early on by yanking away CP3 after a done deal.

So, what I'm trying to say is that Odom sucking as bad as he did/does vindicates the decision making by Jim Buss and Kupchak, 100%. People should recognize. The show Fisher is putting on in OKC should vindicate them even more. The Ramon Sessions pickup and the Luke Walton salary dump should vindicate them even more.

Look, everybody knows that Jerry Buss was the king, and people feel weird that now eventually there might be a new king, especially since you probably kissed Jerry Buss's butt with unusually ferocious devotion. And then, like, how do treat Jim Buss? And so it's easy to try to blame this guy, who is just a total ordinary Joe, who, teamed up with Kupchak and Chaz the bartender, is doiing a fine job running the team, and hasn't done anything bad, and so everybody trying to slam them and create rumors and criticize should just stfu, because, while everybody's been criticizing, the Lakers have subtracted possibly the 3 worst rotation players (or players, period) in the league from their roster, AND added Ramon Sessions, a potential All Star PG, and also dodged the mistake of picking up Dwight Howard, who now seems completely worthless and undesirable, especially from a marketing standpoint, and should just re-sign with Orlando or NJ immediately and not approach the national stage again.

Sssmush
04-11-2012, 02:37 AM
The point is just this, that it's fine you criticize the Lakers, slam the Lakers, slam the new Laker owner in national news stories, say what a terrible trade it is and why it is Jim Buss's fault and the Lakers are declining and everything is bad and the Lakers aren't contenders anymore.

Fine.

BUT. When it THEN turns out that Jim Buss and the Lakers were totally RIGHT, and that Odom is basically worthless and can't even play serviceable spot minutes, and is also a kind of slow-moving, unmotivated headcase or attitude problem of some sort... you should be able to turn around and say "oh, OK, Jim Buss and the Lakers were totally right on this one, and took Mark Cuban to the cleaners on this trade."

Fair is fair. Don't come back after and try to make excuses for Odom on the one hand, and then STILL blame and criticize Buss and the Lakers on the other. Or do it. Either way. But you know you wrong and now you know I know you know you're wrong, which is worse.

heyman321
04-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Jesus what an essay. I think everyone on this forum agrees Odom is a prick for not putting forth any effort. Good riddance for both the Lakers and Mavs.