PDA

View Full Version : Is this the first time in NBA history that so many good coaches are available?

Clippersfan86
04-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Many talented but underachieving teams like Knicks and Clippers will need new coaches and lucky for them many good coaches are available this offseason.

Stan Van Gundy (is reportedly done after this season)
Nate McMillian
Mike D'Antoni
Jerry Sloan (retired)
Phil Jackson (retired)
Don Nelson
Larry Brown

That's 7 very respectable, good coaches available just off the top of my head. Where do you guys think these coaches end up? For example make your prediction of who will be the coach of the Knicks and Clippers going into next season and any other teams you think will have a good shot at these coaches.

sunsfan88
04-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Can't really call them good if they got FIRED....(im not talking about Sloan or Jackson but the others)

The only one who I think may do well if given a second chance is Nate McMillan. (again I'm not talking about Sloan or Jackson cause to be their unavailable cause their retired currently no matter what the reports say)

Clippersfan86
04-09-2012, 02:14 AM
Can't really call them good if they got FIRED....(im not talking about Sloan or Jackson but the others)

The only one who I think may do well if given a second chance is Nate McMillan. (again I'm not talking about Sloan or Jackson cause to be their unavailable cause their retired currently no matter what the reports say)

I disagree man. Has to do with being a bad fit. Look how many times Larry Brown has been fired or quit? Yet he was the coach of the 04 championship Pistons. Mike D'Antoni led the Suns to what 4 straight 60 win seasons? He was a bad fit for the Knicks period and most people suspected he would be. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach. I think he could work wonders with CP3+Griffin+our shooters.

THE MTL
04-09-2012, 02:15 AM
In regards to the Knicks.....

Compare Mike D'Antoni's record to Mike Woodson's record! lol.

Clippersfan86
04-09-2012, 02:17 AM
In regards to the Knicks.....

Compare Mike D'Antoni's record to Mike Woodson's record! lol.

Woodson is a halfcourt coach... who lets his players play. Mike is a fastbreaking coach who runs a tight ship. Not relevant. Just a better fit.

JeffG20
04-09-2012, 02:21 AM
i think i'll make some predictions

Stan Van Gundy - Utah Jazz
Nate McMillian - Miami Heat
Mike D'Antoni - La Clippers
Jerry Sloan - OKC (if they fail to make a deep playoff run)
Phil Jackson - New York Knicks
Don Nelson- Charlotte Bobcats
Larry Brown-Portland Trailblazers

xk4
04-09-2012, 02:23 AM
Jerry Sloan - Boston Celtics (correct me if i'm wrong, but hasent doc

He did say that, but then he signed a 5 year contract after the playoffs last year

JeffG20
04-09-2012, 02:26 AM
He did say that, but then he signed a 5 year contract after the playoffs last year

oh ok, well that scratches them off the list

JeffG20
04-09-2012, 02:29 AM
i'll put sloan going to OKC is they dont go deep i can see a coaching change

jimm120
04-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Woodson is a halfcourt coach... who lets his players play. Mike is a fastbreaking coach who runs a tight ship. Not relevant. Just a better fit.

lol, tight ship. D'Antoni was horrible with managing players.

He wouldn't speak to them during the game.
He wouldn't speak to them after the game.
He'd "doghouse" deserving players for extended periods of time and wouldn't even talk to them about what's wrong.

He didn't run a tight ship. He just put his plans and said, "learn them and do them". That's it. On the court, it was mayhem for the Knicks the past 3 1/2 seasons. Now with Woodson, there is a bit more order.

Clippersfan86
04-09-2012, 02:50 AM
lol, tight ship. D'Antoni was horrible with managing players.

He wouldn't speak to them during the game.
He wouldn't speak to them after the game.
He'd "doghouse" deserving players for extended periods of time and wouldn't even talk to them about what's wrong.

He didn't run a tight ship. He just put his plans and said, "learn them and do them". That's it. On the court, it was mayhem for the Knicks the past 3 1/2 seasons. Now with Woodson, there is a bit more order.

What I meant is that Mike is controlling a bit compared to Woodson from what I've seen. Reality is.... Knicks weren't a good situation or fit for D'Antoni. You can't erase 4 straight 60+ win seasons or w/e he had in Phoenix with an appropriate team to suit his needs. He's regarded as a good coach around the league and that won't change because of a few bad years in NY with lots of turmoil and roster changes.

Just because Woodson is working out better with the Knicks doesn't mean he's a better coach or that Mike isn't a good one.

PHX2daDEATH
04-09-2012, 03:32 AM
Many talented but underachieving teams like Knicks and Clippers will need new coaches and lucky for them many good coaches are available this offseason.

Nate McMillian
Mike D'Antoni
Jerry Sloan (retired)
Phil Jackson (retired)
Don Nelson
Larry Brown

That's 7 very respectable, good coaches available just off the top of my head. Where do you guys think these coaches end up? For example make your prediction of who will be the coach of the Knicks and Clippers going into next season and any other teams you think will have a good shot at these coaches.

Van Gundy- Cleveland? I couldnt even tell you off the top of my head who the Cavs -- Oh its Byron Scott..DUH...I say he stays in the East or joins his brother in the broadcast booth..

Nate McMillan-Got a raw deal in Portland...its not his fault Oden and Roy fell apart..I would say Charlotte but he doesnt deserve that, the Clippers would be a good Fit

D'Antoni-He's not a head coach, he can be a good assistant in Minnesota or Milwaukee though..

Sloan-He's done..why would he want to come back..too big of a generation gap with him and the players...

Phil Jackson- New York maybe..or the clippers? if not either of those two he's done also..

Don Nelson- See Sloan and Phil..

Larry Brown-See Sloan..

blastmasta26
04-09-2012, 04:49 AM
What I meant is that Mike is controlling a bit compared to Woodson from what I've seen. Reality is.... Knicks weren't a good situation or fit for D'Antoni. You can't erase 4 straight 60+ win seasons or w/e he had in Phoenix with an appropriate team to suit his needs. He's regarded as a good coach around the league and that won't change because of a few bad years in NY with lots of turmoil and roster changes.

Just because Woodson is working out better with the Knicks doesn't mean he's a better coach or that Mike isn't a good one.
I believe D'Antoni is a good coach, but he's very loose/relaxed when it comes to managing players. Although he does inexplicably bench or add players into his doghouse from time to time. Woodson has more rotations and substitutions, and preaches accountability on defense. So Woodson is more of a managing type coach for sure. D'Antoni needs not only the right amount of talent, but also the right type of talent to succeed with his coaching style.

rhino17
04-09-2012, 04:57 AM
I see 2 good coaches on that list, Jackson and McMillen

welchkfd
04-09-2012, 07:34 AM
http://www.vvio.info/jpg1i'll put sloan going to OKC is they dont go deep i can see a coaching change
they dont go deep i can see a coaching change

blastmasta26
04-09-2012, 01:44 PM
I see 2 good coaches on that list, Jackson and McMillen
SVG and Sloan?

Chronz
04-09-2012, 09:13 PM
JVG owns all

sunsfan88
04-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Mike D'Antoni led the Suns to what 4 straight 60 win seasons? He was a bad fit for the Knicks period and most people suspected he would be. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach. I think he could work wonders with CP3+Griffin+our shooters.

That had more to do with Nash than D'Antoni.

The only good thing about him is that he gives you complete freedom on offense and you can basically run a playground offense with no sets or actual plays.

I think he would be a bad fit for the LAC cause the Clippers already suck on defense, D'Antoni would make them even worse.

GSRaider
04-09-2012, 10:47 PM

Knicks would be fools if they replaced Woodson.

TylerSL
04-09-2012, 10:51 PM
People always go on about Phil returning, I really doubt he returns, why would he want to? He had to deal with the egos of Rodman, Jordan, Shaq, and Kobe, and won 11 titles over a span of like 21 years. Why would he go to New York and want to deal with the egos of Melo and Amare, or better yet come back at all? I dont see it.

I doubt Sloan returns

Don Nelson retired, and again he wont come back.

D'Antoni's reputation is ruined

I would also add Vinny Del Negro to this list because I am sure he will be fired by LAC when they lose in Round 1, but as D'Antoni, only an idiot would hire him.

That would leave McMillan, Larry Brown, and SVG available.

I bet the Knicks make Woodson their Head Coach.

I could see McMillan going to Orlando

Larry Brown could go to the Wizards

SVG could go to the Clippers.

TylerSL
04-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Knicks would be fools if they replaced Woodson.

I dont even think the Knicks management is that dumb

ball4reel
04-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I dont even think the Knicks management is that dumb

:facepalm::facepalm: We are talking about Dolan!!!

TylerSL
04-09-2012, 11:24 PM
:facepalm::facepalm: We are talking about Dolan!!!

true, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

JasonJohnHorn
04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Nate McMillian
Mike D'Antoni
Jerry Sloan (retired)
Phil Jackson (retired)
Don Nelson
Larry Brown

How on earth are you going to mention D'Antoni and Nelson in the same group as Sloan and Jackson? As for SVG. He still has a job, JVG doesn't, and he's a great coach. Should be on this list.

McMillian I like, but the names you got up there other than McMillan are either horrible coaches (Nelson/D'Antoni) or won't be able to coach for more than a couple of seasons because of their age (Brown, Jackson, Sloan). Lets face it, these guys are OLD!!! I mean you might as well throw in Lenny Wilkens and Hubbie Brown.

TrueFan420
04-10-2012, 12:45 PM

Nate McMillian
Mike D'Antoni
Jerry Sloan (retired)
Phil Jackson (retired)
Don Nelson
Larry Brown

Sloan, Nelson and Brown are done for good. Jackson prob is too but if the right job comes up i could see him coming back. However, thats very unlikely.

He115ing
04-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Dantoni is a terrible coach. Whoever picks him up I feel bad for them.

Iodine
04-10-2012, 12:47 PM
If any team hires Don Nelson I am sorry

mRc08
04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't see why phil wouldn't consider the heat if the opportunity presented itself. He would have had the opportunity to coach MJ, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, and Wade in his career. people are saying the knicks because he played there, and i think he said he would consider it in comments, but why not the heat? I would hate this as a bulls fan, but if the heat don't get it done and I'm a heat fan, I want either phil or riley coaching this team next season.

Iodine
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
If PJ goes to the Heat he could supplant Pop as the NBA's single greatest troll

Stinkyoutsider
04-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Half those coaches on the list are old and probably want to stay retired. I can't imagine Phil Jackson coming out of retirement unless it's the Knicks. Sloan won't because it has to be on his terms with his control. Don Nelson might be talked into it but I have a feeling he's done. Brown won't stay anywhere more than 3 or so years and he's old so I can't imagine him coming back at this point?

I think Van Gundy will be taking a break for a few years but he really is a good coach. Nate is a great coach though and will have a job very soon. Not his fault the Blazers fell apart. He coached the guys who were ready to play...