PDA

View Full Version : Better Chance of Upsetting Lakers in 1st Round: Memphis or Houston?

cyph34
04-09-2012, 01:14 AM
On paper probably Memphis, but this year Houston is 2-1 and Memphis is 1-2 against LAL.

alexander_37
04-09-2012, 01:22 AM
A healthy Houston squad is tough but also a wild card. Some nights they look unbeatable other nights like a lotto team. Probably Memphis sadly.

Ebbs
04-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Memphis is the better deeper team IMO. Houston has the talent but I don't know if they can bring it all together. I also feel like Bynum + Pau would just over power the Rockets bigs in a playoff series.

rockets-fan
04-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Yea I agree on paper it is Memphis... They are such a complete team I feel they could upset anyone any given day. But ima go ahead and say Houston because 1. I'm a rockets fan haha and 2. Their record like you stated. But keep in mind Houston won those two games by a slim margin and Bynum got ejected both times.

But the rockets can also surprise teams that don't take them seriously

Avenged
04-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Memphis.. don't think it would be an upset though. Memphis and the Thunder are the 2 teams that I feel would give the Lakers the most trouble.

Raph12
04-09-2012, 01:28 AM
The Grizzlies; they matchup well with everyone in the league.

kylem4711
04-09-2012, 01:41 AM
for the lakers thread

naps
04-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Grizz by a fair distance. Grizz are looking dangerous. They might surprise everyone in the playoffs.

Antipod
04-09-2012, 01:42 AM
The Grizzlies; they matchup well with everyone in the league.

This !

They are a very balanced team, with decent/good players at every position, plus if Mayo gets it going, here you`ve got your bench spark. Also, Z BO is getting his hoops back, so watch out !

JRisdabest
04-09-2012, 01:51 AM
rockets.
scola!

AWC713
04-09-2012, 01:51 AM
im going to take houston. they are a very smart team that plays very well together. you may be put off by the fact that this team doesn't have a "star", but they're pretty deep with a wealth of talent.

Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic at the 1
Lowry has been out the past month with a bacterial infection, but he finally got PT tonight. 8 assists in limited minutes. he has lost some weight but he is the heart and soul of this team. they have a never die attitude and it comes from lowry. pair that with goran dragic, whos been playing out of his mind, is a very scary duo. both penetrate defenses, can finish at the rim or kick it out. very solid duo at the 1.

Having Courtney Lee start over K-mart is actually a great move. He plays very solid D and the offense does not "Stop" with him like it does with k-mart. When k-mart gets healthy, i think they will let him score off the bench to begin with, if he comes back this season from his shoulder injury. if not, i still think lee, k-low, and dragic is a solid 3-man gaurd rotation.

chandler parsons has stepped up huge this rookie season, taking on every top scorer on the opponents team. his defense is very versatile, but he is still young and learning. still, he has done a supreme job, and kobe actually spoke very highly of him after a game, something he doesnt do much. budinger is a solid backup, whos shooting very well this year from 3. bud has also improved his D this year, no longer a liability, though he isnt great.

houston's big man line up, in short, is also very strong. a combo of scola and patrick patterson has worked out very well for the rix this year. scola is a very high motor guy whos capable of scoring on most post players. great post game, great shotting touch as well. patterson is a much better defender and has done pretty good this year.

lasty, their center combination is lanky and can cause problems. this isnt a rockets team from years past featuring "the stump"chuck hayes. camby has worked his way into a starters role, though he'll get no more than 25 min a game. hes a very solid defender and rebound, even at his age. hes very disruptive on D still; he's averaged 3 blocks a game in 20 minutes the past week and a half. dallenbert is a very solid backup C, though he is inconsistant. he none the less can get blocks and rebounds.

they are 2-1 against the lakers. andthe rockets are in the mind of the immature andrew bynum...in his last two games against HOU, he's had 4 technicals and 2 ejections.

SpaceJamJordans
04-09-2012, 01:53 AM
grizzles

meloman1592
04-09-2012, 02:16 AM
If the Grizzlies beat the Lakers, it wouldn't be an upset to me

shep33
04-09-2012, 02:22 AM
Grizz are stacked.

Cal827
04-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Would anybody really be shocked if Memphis beats anybody lol

Definitely Memphis.

Conley=Sessions
Bryant>>Allen (although is a good defender)
Gay>> Whoever starts for LA here (good defenders though)
Playoff ZBo> Gaslol
Gasol<Bynum

Grizz bench>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Laker's Bench

Conclusion: Laker fans better pray Kobe doesn't go cold in this series.

Greet
04-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Tony Allen vs Kobe Bryant would be such a good match-up

todu82
04-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Memphis. They're playing good basketball this year

Rndy
04-09-2012, 09:16 AM
I really like Memphis front court there going to be a tough team to beat.

Davidgta1
04-09-2012, 11:37 AM
We could beat the rockets if Bynum can keep his anger in check an dosent get tossed out but the Grizz are for real.

alexander_37
04-09-2012, 11:44 AM
We could beat the rockets if Bynum can keep his anger in check an dosent get tossed out but the Grizz are for real.

The Rockets aren't " for real"? I didn't know they had a fake basketball team.

Also maybe if Houston wasn't missing 2 of their best 3 players in that last match up it wouldn't have been as close??

Shadowplay
04-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Grizzlies for sure. Wouldn't be much of an upset to me, the Grizzlies are a good team.

Cfrey
04-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Grizzlies no doubt.

Houston can't match up with that size at all

rockets-fan
04-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Grizzlies no doubt.

Houston can't match up with that size at all

Why do people keep saying this? I know camby and Sammy dalembert aren't good offensive players but they know how to play defense...and scola can score just as easy as gasol, gasol can defend way better though I agree

It's not a surprise that people do t pick Houston here, I mean Memphis is stacked and I think they have a way better chance too but if you think the rockets can't upset the lakers your really wrong.

We beat la twice already and yea Bynum got ejected but we didn't have Martin or Lowry at all.

Houston steps it up against good teams...they beat the thunder twice I think and the bulls and the lakers...don't count them out

sep11ie
04-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Wow, the Rockets have a thread in the NBA forum... That's a win in it's own for us...

MrfadeawayJB
04-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Why do people disrespect the Grizzlies after having another solid season and beating the Defending Champs and the runner-up to the champs on back to back nights? Memphis can play with anyone in the league this year. Solid bench and shooting is starting to pick up so we are very dangerous! Remember that we took OKC to 7 games last year WITHOUT Rudy Gay. It would not suprise me if Memphis makes a deep run this year

USMCLaker
04-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Memphis has a chance to upset everyone in the West.

Cfrey
04-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Why do people keep saying this? I know camby and Sammy dalembert aren't good offensive players but they know how to play defense...and scola can score just as easy as gasol, gasol can defend way better though I agree

It's not a surprise that people do t pick Houston here, I mean Memphis is stacked and I think they have a way better chance too but if you think the rockets can't upset the lakers your really wrong.

We beat la twice already and yea Bynum got ejected but we didn't have Martin or Lowry at all.

Houston steps it up against good teams...they beat the thunder twice I think and the bulls and the lakers...don't count them out

I say this because Bynum will absolutely obliterate dalembert or camby.. bynum is still better than marc gasol but he has an easier time

and not to mention that I think the wolves beat the rockets 3 our of 4 times this year so i dont give a **** if you've beaten the lakers twice.. this is the regular season and teams dont go undefeated

JordansBulls
04-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Memphis by far.

Hustla23
04-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Is this a trick question? I'll take the team that went to the WCF last season. Duhhhh.

TrueFan420
04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
both could but Memphis is the safe bet to do so of the two. on a side note idk if id even call it an upset if Memphis beat la in the series yes Lakers are the higher seed but Memphis is a very good and balanced team.

Stinkyoutsider
04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Memphis! Such a deep and talented team, especially when the bigs play agressive. With Rudy Gay being healthy for this playoff run, they'll be even better than before.

Memphis just has to remember to get the ball into Gasol and Randolph in the playoffs and they'll be fine. Conley will continue setting the table and Gay will always get his, so if they can lock down the post, they can beat anyone.

I can't stand Tony Allen though! And, I'm a Chicago guy just like he is! He's so **** arrogant!

alexander_37
04-09-2012, 01:06 PM
and not to mention that I think the wolves beat the rockets 3 our of 4 times this year so i dont give a **** if you've beaten the lakers twice.. this is the regular season and teams dont go undefeated

Sig quote FTW.

Reyes6
04-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Wouldn't be a huge upset if either team beat the Lakers. I feel like that team is a headed down a bad path. I think Kobe will definitely step it up come playoff time, but with a horrid bench and a SF combo that can be left alone on defense... I don't think they are all superior. And looking at their schedule I'm not sure how great a seed they will even be, or even if they will have HCA in the 1st round.

blastmasta26
04-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Wow, the Rockets have a thread in the NBA forum... That's a win in it's own for us...

To be fair, it's half of a thread. Maybe even a quarter of a thread since the Grizzlies are getting more love :p

Why do people disrespect the Grizzlies after having another solid season and beating the Defending Champs and the runner-up to the champs on back to back nights? Memphis can play with anyone in the league this year. Solid bench and shooting is starting to pick up so we are very dangerous! Remember that we took OKC to 7 games last year WITHOUT Rudy Gay. It would not suprise me if Memphis makes a deep run this year

Who is disrespecting the Grizzlies here? Some phantom haters you've created to maintain that chip on your shoulder? No one in this thread would be surprised if Memphis makes a deep run, pretty much everyone has said they're stacked or a matchup nightmare for any team.

Sig quote FTW.

I don't really see anything that wrong in what he said. In the regular season, teams can lose to inferior teams more than they beat them in a given year. For example, I believe Orlando went 2-0 against the Lakers the year they met in the Finals and look what happened there. It's not that the Rockets can't upset the Lakers, it's just that a regular season record against a team isn't always indicative of who would come out victorious in the postseason.

UPRock
04-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Both can do it.

Hawkeye15
04-09-2012, 01:42 PM
well, Memphis showed last year they can handle a playoff tested roster. They have the size to not get killed by Gasol/Bynum, and Tony Allen is a great defender who could force Bryant into some tough stretches.

Memphis by a decent margin here.

alexander_37
04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
I don't really see anything that wrong in what he said. In the regular season, teams can lose to inferior teams more than they beat them in a given year. For example, I believe Orlando went 2-0 against the Lakers the year they met in the Finals and look what happened there. It's not that the Rockets can't upset the Lakers, it's just that a regular season record against a team isn't always indicative of who would come out victorious in the postseason.

It was the fact that he said regular season means nothing, then took a worse record in the regular season and used it as a comparison.

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2012, 01:46 PM
the only teams that can stop LA this season are the Spurs and the Bulls.
Pao taught Mark everything he knows... the big brother always wins a match-up like that ;-) lol

Seriously... LA has too much experience to lose to anybody in the first round.

MrfadeawayJB
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
To be fair, it's half of a thread. Maybe even a quarter of a thread since the Grizzlies are getting more love :p

Who is disrespecting the Grizzlies here? Some phantom haters you've created to maintain that chip on your shoulder? No one in this thread would be surprised if Memphis makes a deep run, pretty much everyone has said they're stacked or a matchup nightmare for any team.

The OP stated who could upset the lakers. I think it would be a upset if the Grizz lost to the lakers in seven. Like many have said, the Grizz can beat any team in the west. I wouldnt consider any of them to be upsets unless of course your going by seeding which we all know is a joke

Celticsfan2007
04-09-2012, 03:09 PM
If a team wants to beat the lakers they have to match up with their size first and for-most.

Memphis can match them with rebounding and low post offense with M. Gasol, Randolph and Speights. Houston has some nice low post defenders, but I don't see Camby/Dalembert/Scola lasting in a 7 game series with the likes of Bynum/Gasol.

rockets-fan
04-09-2012, 03:14 PM
If a team wants to beat the lakers they have to match up with their size first and for-most.

Memphis can match them with rebounding and low post offense with M. Gasol, Randolph and Speights. Houston has some nice low post defenders, but I don't see Camby/Dalembert/Scola lasting in a 7 game series with the likes of Bynum/Gasol.

Nobody thought the rockets could last against the lakers a few years ago with chuck Hayes and scola as their front court either....and we all saw the rockets take them to 7 games.

I though that's a few years back so it's kinda unimportant, but camby and dalembert can hang in for a while.

rockets-fan
04-09-2012, 03:16 PM
the only teams that can stop LA this season are the Spurs and the Bulls.
Pao taught Mark everything he knows... the big brother always wins a match-up like that ;-) lol

Seriously... LA has too much experience to lose to anybody in the first round.

So the thunder in a 7 game series can't??? They're gunna wear out the lakers with all that youth

rockets-fan
04-09-2012, 03:19 PM
The lakers and spurs and mavs have to play though 5 young teams to get to the finals....that's a lot of running up and down the court so don't be surprised if neither of them make it to the finals..if I had tho choose the wcf match up I'd say something like Thunder vs. Memphis/spurs

Cfrey
04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Sig quote FTW.

Was something that I said stupid? Did it not make sense to you??

LOL

On page two a Rockets fan said he thinks the Rockets have a better chance.. Bringing up that they've beaten the Lakers twice out of three times rather than once out of three times for the Grizzlies....

Thus I went on to say that the Timberwolves beat the Rockets three out of four times this year.. So what the man is saying then is that the Rockets have beaten the Lakers more times this year than the Grizzlies so that is why they have a better shot at beating LA in the first round.. ??? But by the logic the Wolves would have a better chance beating the Rockets in a playoff series this year lol and I dont see that happening??

So feel free to remove me from your signature when your small brain can process that.

Cfrey
04-09-2012, 03:26 PM

thank you blastmasta, someone with comprehension skills

rockets-fan
04-09-2012, 03:33 PM

LOL

On page two a Rockets fan said he thinks the Rockets have a better chance.. Bringing up that they've beaten the Lakers twice out of three times rather than once out of three times for the Grizzlies....

Thus I went on to say that the Timberwolves beat the Rockets three out of four times this year.. So what the man is saying then is that the Rockets have beaten the Lakers more times this year than the Grizzlies so that is why they have a better shot at beating LA in the first round.. ??? But by the logic the Wolves would have a better chance beating the Rockets in a playoff series this year lol and I dont see that happening??

So feel free to remove me from your signature when your small brain can process that.

I didn't read any rockets fans on page two saying that...I still don't see it

Cfrey
04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I didn't read any rockets fans on page two saying that...I still don't see it

My fault, I misread your original response to me on page 2.

Regardless, my point still stands. I think Houston could upset the Lakers, I just think Memphis has a way better shot even though they haven't beaten the Lakers as many times as the Rockets during the regular season...

rockets-fan
04-09-2012, 03:45 PM
My fault, I misread your original response to me on page 2.

Regardless, my point still stands. I think Houston could upset the Lakers, I just think Memphis has a way better shot even though they haven't beaten the Lakers as many times as the Rockets during the regular season...

Yes and I agree 100%, like you read i stated earlier that Memphis does have a better shot, as did other rockets fans...but some posters were implying that the rockets couldn't because of their size or whatever and my point was just to point out that they have a shot, and if the lakers see the rockets in the first round, I bet they will be a little worried...the rockets are in the lakers heads now.l.especially bynums

rockets-fan
04-09-2012, 03:46 PM

No one disrespects the grizz...

driz
04-09-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't even see Memphis beating the Lakers as an upset, really. They're a very good, deep squad.

Cfrey
04-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Yes and I agree 100%, like you read i stated earlier that Memphis does have a better shot, as did other rockets fans...but some posters were implying that the rockets couldn't because of their size or whatever and my point was just to point out that they have a shot, and if the lakers see the rockets in the first round, I bet they will be a little worried...the rockets are in the lakers heads now.l.especially bynums

When people say they don't have the 'size' it doesn't mean that they don't have a tall player. Hahah you know what I mean??? There are tall players on every team but I think what most of us are referring to is that there size isnt nearly as good as LALs size.

They may be fine defenders (dalembert and camby) but that doesn't mean they are going to shut down Bynum and Gasol.. Between Bynum and Gasol you are going to get at least over 30 points a game and 20 boards.. AT THE LEAST

and dalembert and camby wont produce anywhere close to that

at least with Marc Gasol and Randolph you have some offensive fire power

rockets-fan
04-09-2012, 03:58 PM
When people say they don't have the 'size' it doesn't mean that they don't have a tall player. Hahah you know what I mean??? There are tall players on every team but I think what most of us are referring to is that there size isnt nearly as good as LALs size.

They may be fine defenders (dalembert and camby) but that doesn't mean they are going to shut down Bynum and Gasol.. Between Bynum and Gasol you are going to get at least over 30 points a game and 20 boards.. AT THE LEAST

and dalembert and camby wont produce anywhere close to that

at least with Marc Gasol and Randolph you have some offensive fire power

Agree.

But you can also agree that scola can give 20 points agame as well...

There is no doubt the Memphis grizzlies are better than the rockets

Cfrey
04-09-2012, 04:00 PM
ture i forgot about scola hahaha i was so glad when love stomped his ***

rockets-fan
04-09-2012, 04:09 PM
ture i forgot about scola hahaha i was so glad when love stomped his ***

Scola always get ran over lol but man I love his game...he has so many ways of scoring...wish he could play defense :sigh:

Lake_Show2416
04-09-2012, 04:32 PM
i wouldnt b surprised if Grizz got a chip & i could only make that claim bout 2 other teams in the West, OKC & the Lakers

astrosmaniac
04-09-2012, 04:49 PM

LOL

if the rockets were matched up against minny i'd be scared :shrug: some teams are just better matchups than others. a couple years ago the rockets took the lakers to 7 games when no one else in the WC did (i believe) because we matched up well with a quick PG to exploit fish and 2 good wing defenders to throw at kobe. i think this is the same kinda scenario you're painting with the wolves

alexander_37
04-09-2012, 05:04 PM
i wouldnt b surprised if Grizz got a chip & i could only make that claim bout 2 other teams in the West, OKC & the Lakers

Considering you left out the first place team in the conference I more than question your credibility....

SportsFanatic10
04-09-2012, 05:28 PM
the grizz....they're a very good team and that front court matches up with the lakers. then they have the better perimeter shooters and a better pg then LA. also tony allen will make things tough for kobe. infact i believe the lakers beating memphis would be an upset in all honesty reguardless of seeding.

blastmasta26
04-09-2012, 05:35 PM
The OP stated who could upset the lakers. I think it would be a upset if the Grizz lost to the lakers in seven. Like many have said, the Grizz can beat any team in the west. I wouldnt consider any of them to be upsets unless of course your going by seeding which we all know is a joke

I figured that we were going by seeding here based on the OP, and it could be a joke due to injuries and such, but it's still traditionally considered an upset when a lower seed beats an upper seed.

SteveNash
04-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Houston. LA beating Memphis would be the upset.

joeboow90
04-09-2012, 05:44 PM
They can both beat the Lakers.

TheWhiteMamba
04-09-2012, 05:48 PM
A healthy Rockets team can scare LA (though i think they'd still win in 5 or 6 close games) and Memphis can definitely beat them. In fact the entire West should pray they dont see Memphis. They will be one tough ****ing out.

jiggin
04-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Memphis...and it will happen if the NBA allow the Refs to let it happen.