PDA

View Full Version : JaVale Mcgee's time in Denver may be winding down

spreadeagle
04-08-2012, 09:57 PM
JaVale McGee - C - Nuggets

JaVale McGee came off the Nuggets' bench again on Saturday, posting six points, six rebounds, one steal and four blocks in 23 minutes.
George Karl and the Nuggets don't seem particularly interested in developing McGee -- they've explicitly stated that they traded for him as an extended experiment, as they'll have the option to give him a $3.5 million qualifying offer and then match any offers for the restricted FA. Based on how they're treating/using him thus far, they don't seem likely to match a deal anywhere near McGee's expectations of $14 million per season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/nba/den/denver-nuggets

29$JerZ
04-08-2012, 09:58 PM
His price range alone will make him a Free Agent.

No desperate team will give him 14 Million.
Demand for Centers may be high but he has done nothing to show he is a franchise changer.

FraziersKnicks
04-08-2012, 10:00 PM
McGee's out of his mind if he thinks he can get $14M per in this new CBA anyway.. He should be getting offers of nearly half of that, $8-9M per is realistic for him.

Baller1
04-08-2012, 10:01 PM
No surprise here. McGee is a bum.

HouRealCoach
04-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Idk why they gave up Nene for him... Terrible trade

Sactown
04-08-2012, 10:04 PM

With Nene's persistent injuries I don't think they wanted to be stuck with his contract, more of a salary dump

spreadeagle
04-08-2012, 10:06 PM

They had Kenith Faried who is younger cheaper version of NeNe and now how 10 mil cap space when Javale leaves...I like trade for both teams

GunFactor187
04-08-2012, 10:07 PM
$5-7 mil per year would be sufficient for a guy like McGee, the guy is talented but he just can't harness his focus.

FraziersKnicks
04-08-2012, 10:07 PM

Roster flexibility.. They knew they made a mistake giving Nene that mammoth contract and it was an easy way to undo it.

thekmp211
04-08-2012, 10:10 PM
who knows. they have enough talent on that roster that he isn't worth the idiocy. i still have a feeling that he develops into a decent player at some point.

Cfrey
04-08-2012, 10:14 PM

They realized they signed him for way too much money.. Especially someone who is headed toward the end of a career, rather than being in the first stage of a career.

SluggeR
04-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Don't understand why folks are so down on Mcgee. The kid is a young, freakishly athletic, still developing, shot eraser, rebounder, and a great finisher that is 7 feet tall. Let him go to a team like the spurs and everybody will be singing his praises and trashing the wizards & the nuggets for not keeping him.If the wolves' pekovic hadn't developed so wel this year, I bet they would have gave Mcgee $10mil easy.

Ill21
04-08-2012, 10:16 PM
14 mil is crazy. Maybe if he grew up and knew how to act like a professional he could get 9 or 10 mil

Mudvayne91
04-08-2012, 10:20 PM

Nene is soft, way overpaid, lazy, injury prone and Faried has been playing great. Pretty simple.

LakersIn5
04-08-2012, 10:23 PM
if deandre got that big contract then i dont see why mcgee cant get to 8 digits

xk4
04-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Normally a player's basketball IQ doesn't suddenly improve, but he's going to get a payday somewhere. The real gamble is how long do you make the contract

Mudvayne91
04-08-2012, 10:29 PM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Coach Karl out. It doesn't seem likely McGee will be here, but maybe he will

h2r09
04-08-2012, 10:48 PM
one of the things I'm most excited for in this upcoming offseason is how mcgee is going to get humbled really quickly. body is going to pay this guy any more than 6 million a year with the way he has acted this year.

FraziersKnicks
04-08-2012, 10:55 PM
one of the things I'm most excited for in this upcoming offseason is how mcgee is going to get humbled really quickly. body is going to pay this guy any more than 6 million a year with the way he has acted this year.

I can see some team with cap space offering him a deal in the region of 5 years/$40M based off potential alone... I see him more in the $6-7M range but if a coach can harness his idiosyncrasies, he could become a very good center in the league.

Bruno
04-08-2012, 11:01 PM
as somebody who was of corse frustrated by the lockout, i'll be very pissed if somebody gives this guy 14 mil. he's worth ten in his final year, at tops. anything above 40/4 will be no different than the absurd contracts that led to the last lockout.

Raph12
04-09-2012, 12:30 AM
This is what pure athleticism gets you; he's the ****** version of Dwight Howard on the court...

ManningToTyree
04-09-2012, 12:53 AM
He would be worth 14mil if he wasn't a ******. So freakin athletic it is amazing, but holy **** the guy just doesn't get it.

ManningToTyree
04-09-2012, 12:54 AM
This is what pure athleticism gets you; he's the ****** version of Dwight Howard on the court...

this x100000000000000

chrism516
04-09-2012, 12:57 AM
McGees time in the NBA is winding down.

mightymouse407
04-09-2012, 01:00 AM
dont know what the warriors salary cap looks like but with them giving kwame brown $7million n giving up ellis for a often injured bogut im thinking they would give $14million n steph currys good ankle to get mcgee lol

Mcdoh
04-09-2012, 01:11 AM
wow $14 per season... which team would offer him that..

Ebbs
04-09-2012, 01:21 AM
His brain is raisin sized.

I wouldn't pay him more than 4 mill.

Antipod
04-09-2012, 01:27 AM
The centers are way overpaid in the NBA...he`ll get his $, but not as much as he`d like to :D(14 mil...that`s crazy maaaan)

BallIsAll
04-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Honestly I thought he was good when I washed a few Washington games but seeing him every game makes me wanna throw up. He's easily the dumbest player in the nba, he makes jr smith look like Einstein.

ayuntalo
04-09-2012, 01:53 AM
If the word "brain" never existed he would be among the level of Hibbert.

but unfortunately he seems to be the only one without a brain, or maybe he left it on his lunchbox

JeffG20
04-09-2012, 01:59 AM
i hope he catches on somewhere else. watching him try to play basketball is hilarious.

THE MTL
04-09-2012, 02:00 AM
For the simple reason that he can walk and rebound/block shots he will make over 10 million per season. I know the Warriors were set to offer him a contract that size too (i wonder if they still would now they got Bogut).

But it'll be some team out there. Rockets seem desperate for a big man too. Maybe Minny? He can be D'Andre Jordan for Kevin Love.

xk4
04-09-2012, 02:01 AM
I still think Mcgee could be pretty good. He does have passion for the game, it's just misplaced (See: video of JVMG throwing ball at rim trying to get a triple-double)

I think being drafted by the Wizards, and playing with that toxic core for so long really hurt his progress. This Summer, getting signed by a stable, hopefully veteran team could be a huge step to getting back on track. But he shouldn't be starting anywhere until he proves he can be less crazy and work much harder on fundamentals

smith&wesson
04-09-2012, 02:22 AM
i think he can net around 8 mill per year. after all he is the 2nd leading shot blocker in the league.

Fresno
04-09-2012, 02:25 AM
For the simple reason that he can walk and rebound/block shots he will make over 10 million per season. I know the Warriors were set to offer him a contract that size too (i wonder if they still would now they got Bogut).

But it'll be some team out there. Rockets seem desperate for a big man too. Maybe Minny? He can be D'Andre Jordan for Kevin Love.
Warriors made the Bogut trade to solve their C issue, which everyone knew they were going to try to address in the offseason.

Rockets don't seem like a good fit with Sammy Dalembert there.

Minnesota doesn't have the cap room for McGee but they have a good C in Pekovic.

Fresno
04-09-2012, 02:34 AM
i think he can net around 8 mill per year. after all he is the 2nd leading shot blocker in the league.
Denver is playing with his minutes to lower his value this offseason.

Smart move.

As a RFA they don't want him to get any offers over $10 Million that they have to match, and they know he wont sign a deal for something under $10 Million.

This allows Denver a chance to keep him & Manimal for another season next year as they continue to be the most athletic frontcourt duo in the NBA.

He's become a joke among basketball fans for his silly plays that he makes, but the talent & upside is there for him to be a Top 5 C with the right coaching. George Karl is his first taste of true coaching, and they have a respected coaching staff that'll work with him.

smith&wesson
04-09-2012, 02:45 AM

Smart move.

As a RFA they don't want him to get any offers over $10 Million that they have to match, and they know he wont sign a deal for something under $10 Million.

This allows Denver a chance to keep him & Manimal for another season next year as they continue to be the most athletic frontcourt duo in the NBA.

He's become a joke among basketball fans for his silly plays that he makes, but the talent & upside is there for him to be a Top 5 C with the right coaching. George Karl is his first taste of true coaching, and they have a respected coaching staff that'll work with him.

ujiri is a good gm... he mad smart!!

jimm120
04-09-2012, 02:48 AM

yeah...it wasn't a "talent" kind of thing. They knew it was a downgrade, but it was more of a "hey, we're not as good as we thought we'd be and we might have to rebuild. Lets trade Nene now before we can't and he becomes and albatross contract".

That was the situation. "salary dump" while still getting a very flawed but somewhat useful player back to help with the team this year.

Sadds The Gr8
04-09-2012, 02:53 AM
Some stupid team will pay him $8+ million.

blastmasta26
04-09-2012, 04:57 AM
I like how Denver is handling this. First they trade Nene away after realizing the size of his contract for McGee, a potential expiring. Then they keep McGee's minutes inconsistent in order to prevent his value as a FA from rising, not risking much because developing a young player in half of a compressed season is difficult anyway.

AddiX
04-09-2012, 09:47 AM
I think it's messed up what Denver is doing to him, it's just as bad as how they basically forced Wilson chandler to sign there long term and for peanuts.

at the same time, it's hard to feel bad for this clown. As a poster above mentioned, I could possibly see minny going after him, that's a franchise that needs to overpay or go after low character players to get talent there, and I really don't even think they would do it.

I think Denver retains him at the end of the day.

BallIsAll
04-09-2012, 09:52 AM
I think it's messed up what Denver is doing to him, it's just as bad as how they basically forced Wilson chandler to sign there long term and for peanuts.

at the same time, it's hard to feel bad for this clown. As a poster above mentioned, I could possibly see minny going after him, that's a franchise that needs to overpay or go after low character players to get talent there, and I really don't even think they would do it.

I think Denver retains him at the end of the day.

You have to earn minutes you dont just get minutes for having potential. When hes on the court hes a liability (he let big baby davis beast on him). We're trying to get in to the playoffs not base the season on developing a bone head and enter the lottery as an outcome.

He115ing
04-09-2012, 09:54 AM
After seein him run the other way during the game...lol. I doubt anyone will take him seriously, especially for 14 mill

Hawkeye15
04-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Denver dumped Nene's salary, McGee was never in their long term plans. Not sure McGee will ever amount to more than a potential player. He is just so stupid. I would love him off the bench for the Wolves, but he is going to want too much money and a starting position. Some team will bite and give him close to $10 million a year, but he is nuts if he thinks he is going to make near max money in the new CBA.

DenButsu
04-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Check back in in 2 years when Wiz fans are *****ing about their roster building getting killed by one of the worst contracts in the league. $13 million per may not seem like too much for a borderline all-star caliber big, but it's gonna look a lot worse pretty soon (and as others have pointed out, it already has with all the games he's missed).

DenButsu
04-09-2012, 10:10 AM
I like how Denver is handling this. First they trade Nene away after realizing the size of his contract for McGee, a potential expiring. Then they keep McGee's minutes inconsistent in order to prevent his value as a FA from rising, not risking much because developing a young player in half of a compressed season is difficult anyway.

I don't think George Karl bases his rotations on GM-think. He bases them on what he thinks will win games. JaVale has had some pretty terrible outings with Denver, and getting benched happened as a result.

TrueFan420
04-09-2012, 01:39 PM
mcgee isnt worth 14 mill but he might be able to get 10 mill even tho he prob is only worth about 7 mill

blastmasta26
04-09-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't think George Karl bases his rotations on GM-think. He bases them on what he thinks will win games. JaVale has had some pretty terrible outings with Denver, and getting benched happened as a result.
Oh, guess I looked into it too much lol

Master Mind
04-09-2012, 01:46 PM
I can see the Heat making a run for him...

THE MTL
04-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Yeah, Denver might be decreasing his value but either way Mcgee will get a contract offer of 10+ million per season. He is a rare commodity.

D'Andre Jordan got 11-12 mil per season and Mcgee actually been healthier and playing better (at the point of the new contract offer) so I fully expect him to get what Jordan received.

Fresno
04-09-2012, 07:10 PM
I can see the Heat making a run for him...
Hes a Restricted Free Agent.

If he signed an Offer Sheet for the MLE with Miami, Denver would match that within 10 minutes.

Yeah, Denver might be decreasing his value but either way Mcgee will get a contract offer of 10+ million per season. He is a rare commodity.

D'Andre Jordan got 11-12 mil per season and Mcgee actually been healthier and playing better (at the point of the new contract offer) so I fully expect him to get what Jordan received.

Honestly, his value won't be that high if Denver keeps his minutes low and makes him a rotational big man this season with Koufos & potentially Mozgov/Birdman if they get back in the rotation. When you even see topics like this suggesting that McGee is a "rental" player, it seems as if their plan is working. The Nuggets know McGee will be an impact player in time under a coach like George Karl who will work with him, but they just gotta lower his value to lock him in for a few more seasons.

Sly Guy
04-09-2012, 07:43 PM

Smart move.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I can see Denver wanting to keep him on, but with his reputation league-wide, they obviously wouldn't want to pay him the amount he's asking. Because he is a bone-head, a little tough love right now might be just what he needs.

jimbobjarree
04-09-2012, 07:54 PM
can see him just signing his QO and sticking round for another year

DenButsu
04-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Oh, guess I looked into it too much lol

Well it's only my impression. But I do think if Karl thought playing mcgee more meant winning more, he'd do it, even if it meant elevating his market value.

WAYNEBO
04-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Normally a player's basketball IQ doesn't suddenly improve, but he's going to get a payday somewhere. The real gamble is how long do you make the contract

I disagree with you... look at Tyson when he was with the Bulls. A player's maturity and IQ can and should increase longer in the league.

JaVale is a mirror of DeAndre (coincidence in double caps?) --- the talent is questionable, but since he's 7ft and athletic, the skillz have been covered up to an extent.

Wolfman01
04-10-2012, 12:18 AM
JaVale McGee only said that he wanted 14 million a season just to get out of with the Wizards. It's definity a clever move from JaVale McGee. Trust me JaVale McGee will be back with the Nuggets next year and sign a muti year contract with a average salary of 7-11 million a year. Nuggets won't mind paying him big money since they are winners right now.

sunsfan88
04-10-2012, 12:27 AM
I don't get it, if DeAndre Jordan can make big $$ then why can't McGee? And McGee's never played alongside an elite PF like Blake Griffin.

SluggeR
04-10-2012, 12:41 AM
What has this kid really done to be called dumb, ********, etc.? The kid threw the ball off the backboard for a dunk when his team was beig blown out and started running to the defensive side of the court because he either thought he made the shot or the other team had rebounded it. It's amazing how people like to pile on and are uncapable of an original thought or have the inability to think for themselves..reminds of how people started to pile on Lebron.

SluggeR
04-10-2012, 12:44 AM
I can see the Celtics snatching this kid up. As much as I hope they don't, I can see them getting him. Rondo+Mcgee=LOBCITYEAST

xk4
04-10-2012, 01:52 AM

I disagree with you... look at Tyson when he was with the Bulls. A player's maturity and IQ can and should increase longer in the league.

Yes, but like I said bball IQ doesn't suddenly increase.

So there's a risk of signing him to a 2-3 deal to maintain flexibility, only to watch him thrive in the new system and then bolt once his contract is up. And an equally bad option would be to give him a huge 5-6 year contract only to find he reached his ceiling back in the Wizards years

Punk
04-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Nene is soft, way overpaid, lazy, injury prone and Faried has been playing great. Pretty simple.

That explains the sudden improvement in Washington when Nene plays :laugh2:

jimbobjarree
04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Knowing the Blazers, who like to screw over division rivals with RFA offers, and a slight need at center and cap space, could end up signing him on a huge deal.

sixer04fan
04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
With Nene's persistent injuries I don't think they wanted to be stuck with his contract, more of a salary dump

Exactly. It was just a salary dump. Denver regretted giving Nene that contract obviously.

rhymeratic
04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Somebody is gonna steal a future All-Star Center for mid-level money. Imagine if the Spurs get a hold of him to put next to Duncan in his twilight...

D-Will4Prez
04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I don't get it, if DeAndre Jordan can make big $$ then why can't McGee? And McGee's never played alongside an elite PF like Blake Griffin.

Becase McGee is all flash and no substance, whereas DeAndre is the other way around. DeAndre mans his opponent up, clogs the paint, and has a visible impact in the outcome of the game...he doesn't jump around like a monkey trying to swat every ball he can get to while playing soft as hell.
This isn't baseball...stats aren't everything.

Stinkyoutsider
04-10-2012, 02:18 PM
I keep thinking that there's no way Mcgee is going to get 14 mil a season but if he got himself together mentally and got focused and improved some, I can see him getting 11 or 12 a season. That's how much the Bulls paid for Noah, and I think, skillwise, Mcgee slightly edges Noah out. Mcgee is 7 feet, can jump out of the gym, and can eliminate the opponent's ability to finish in the paint.

He really needs to get his mind right and get some sort of skillset on offense. A mid-range jumper or at least a jump hook and drop step in the post. If he did that and improved his focus a little, I would give him 10 a year.

I think he's not mentally tough though. Tough situation for him to be in though because he's not going to get that sort of money...

llemon
04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
That explains the sudden improvement in Washington when Nene plays :laugh2:

Wiz are 2-4 when Nene plays, and he hasn't played since March 30th

Iodine
04-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Every team should have McGee on it's roster at some point

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Somebody is gonna steal a future All-Star Center for mid-level money. Imagine if the Spurs get a hold of him to put next to Duncan in his twilight...

all-star lol?

he makes teams worse

AddiX
04-10-2012, 05:28 PM

Because McGee is a clown and when its yur money and your salary space do you really want to invest it in McGee?

No one is denying his talent and upside, but when you look at how many bad contracts hamper teams, and than players whom decide to just turn it off while getting paid,mdo you REALLY want to give McGee of all people a max contract?

Crackadalic
04-10-2012, 05:32 PM
McGee seems to only care about the highlight and not winning

JayW_1023
04-10-2012, 05:39 PM
He could just as easily be the next Keon Clark as the next Marcus Camby.

DenButsu
04-10-2012, 06:37 PM

If it's mid-level money, then I'm sure the Nuggets will keep him. Most Nuggets fans are assuming that they probably have a ceiling somewhere in the 8-ish million range, so that if a team signs him to a $10 mil offer sheet they probably won't match, but if it's $7 mil they will. All pure speculation, though.

The tricky thing right now is that we don't know yet what a full year in a more positive team culture will do for him. He's never had this kind of coaching staff, and never been subjected to the kind of disciplinary structure he's in now. With a full training camp and a full season's play in a diffferent atmosphere can he figure out how to limit the knucklehead stuff and start maximizing his potential?

And not knowing the answer yet, how much is it worth to gamble on his future?

The market will decide this summer. That's really all we know at this point.

showtime24
04-11-2012, 12:08 AM
McGee seems to only care about the highlight and not winning

He will play with the Smart Gilas 2.0(Philippine's national team). I heard his being offered to play there. He will get plenty of highlight playing against asian teams. :D