PDA

View Full Version : Antoine Walker retires

Fresno
04-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Three-time All-Star Antoine Walker is retiring from basketball, telling his Idaho Stampede teammates Saturday that he had decided to call it quits.

The Stampede were appearing in their D-League finale against Bakersfield Jam on Saturday night. Walker was expected to make a formal announcement of his retirement in the coming days, the team said.

The 6-foot-9 Walker, the sixth overall pick in the 1996 NBA Draft, had his best years with the Boston Celtics, where he averaged over 20 points in five of his eight seasons.

In a 12-year NBA career, he also had stints with Dallas and Atlanta, and won an NBA championship with the Miami Heat in 2006. Walker last played in the NBA with the Timberwolves in the 2007-08 season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/three-time-all-star-antoine-walker-retires-from-basketball-040812

One of the most unique players we'll ever see at the Forward position and the master of the Shimmy.

Yes, he loved the 4 point shot but he was a very good all around player and people seem to forget he was even an All Star player.

Hopefully he can bounce back on his feet by getting into coaching and working with young players to not make the mistakes he did off the court.

Evolution23
04-08-2012, 09:56 PM
sad

Bruno
04-08-2012, 09:56 PM
He and Pierce were a couple of games away from facing the 2002 Lakers in the NBA Finals. hope his financial situation is alright.

Fresno
04-08-2012, 10:14 PM
He and Pierce were a couple of games away from facing the 2002 Lakers in the NBA Finals. hope his financial situation is alright.
From Sports Illustrated last month on how he's living:

The air is thick with the smell of smoke. The blinds are drawn. A lighter sits on the coffee table, next to a giant jug of Crystal Geyser water. Unlit incense sticks are nearby. On the TV a game of NBA 2K12 is paused in the second quarter—the Pacers versus the Spurs. There is a large box of Cheez-Its on the floor and bagged-up cartons of Kentucky Fried Chicken in the corner. Boxes of Corn Pops and Cap'n Crunch line the top of the refrigerator.

In five hours Walker will take the court for the Idaho Stampede of the NBA's Developmental League. For now he has agreed to talk about how and why he came to be here—a three-time All-Star living in a $915-a-month apartment he shares with reserve guard Chris Davis, and playing for a salary of less than $25,000. He has no car, subsists mainly on cold cuts and fast food and plays in front of crowds as small as 155.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1195981/1/index.htm

Yeah he's definetly at rock bottom.

I hope he can bounce back with an assistant coaching/mentoring role in the NBA or College Basketball. Any of his former teammates or coaches should try to help him get back on his feet because it can't get any lower than this from where he was once at.

He doesn't belong in this picture :laugh2: tho:
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa340/donprince23/mj-5.jpg

xk4
04-08-2012, 10:43 PM
That paints quite a sad picture. And I feel bad for the guy despite everything, but he's not in a position to coach or mentor anyone right now.

Let him sort his life out first, hold a non-basketball related job for a while. Maybe take a nutrition course at the local community college. Fast food and sugary cereal might be the reason he was out of shape and let the 3pt line derail his career

Bruno
04-08-2012, 10:57 PM
i know fans look at stories like walkers and think to themselves wtf. and that's totally reasonable. but he did A LOT lot living over his career, and had a lot of thrills, high rolling. he messed up financially, but at least the dude lived.

Bruno
04-08-2012, 10:59 PM
From Sports Illustrated last month on how he's living:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1195981/1/index.htm

Yeah he's definetly at rock bottom.

I hope he can bounce back with an assistant coaching/mentoring role in the NBA or College Basketball. Any of his former teammates or coaches should try to help him get back on his feet because it can't get any lower than this from where he was once at.

He doesn't belong in this picture :laugh2: tho:
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa340/donprince23/mj-5.jpg

thanks for the update. i enjoyed that picture. would have love to have been a fly on the wall.

Fresno
04-09-2012, 12:17 AM
thanks for the update. i enjoyed that picture. would have love to have been a fly on the wall.
Somebody should show it to Kobe and see what exactly he said in MJ's presence.

Im sure he remembers it due to his MJ worship.

Bos_Sports4Life
04-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Whats impressive about his play?

- .414 FG%/.484 TS%

- 5.7 CAREER TOTAL for OWS

He was usually overrated, esp by Boston fans

iam brett favre
04-09-2012, 12:35 AM
The air is thick with the smell of smoke. The blinds are drawn. A lighter sits on the coffee table, next to a giant jug of Crystal Geyser water. Unlit incense sticks are nearby. On the TV a game of NBA 2K12 is paused in the second quarter—the Pacers versus the Spurs. There is a large box of Cheez-Its on the floor and bagged-up cartons of Kentucky Fried Chicken in the corner. Boxes of Corn Pops and Cap'n Crunch line the top of the refrigerator.

What's so bad about this? Sounds like a pretty normal day in the life for me..

ManningToTyree
04-09-2012, 12:38 AM
waste of talent

SkipBaylessFan
04-09-2012, 12:49 AM
I can't emphasis with a guy who blew all his money. There are people out there who will not eat tonight. Atleast he has a roof over his head. Atleast he has some form of income. There are people who are wayyyyyyy worse off.

Mcdoh
04-09-2012, 01:13 AM
its sad what happened to his career after winning an NBA title...

mjt20mik
04-09-2012, 01:15 AM
If your not gonna learn how to manage your finances, at least hire an accountant for help with planning.

xk4
04-09-2012, 01:39 AM
I can't emphasis with a guy who blew all his money. There are people out there who will not eat tonight. Atleast he has a roof over his head. Atleast he has some form of income. There are people who are wayyyyyyy worse off.

Oh, internet.

naps
04-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Sad but I don't really feel bad for him. Once he had it all but he blew it up with arrogance and showing off. Shows how money is liquid and if you don't take care of it properly it'll be gone in a blink of an eye. I am sure he won't be the last athlete to be a dweller of that path.

Fresno
04-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Whats impressive about his play?

- .414 FG%/.484 TS%

- 5.7 CAREER TOTAL for OWS

He was usually overrated, esp by Boston fans

He was a good player. Not sure what you're trying to argue.

Nobody said he was an All-Time Great or anything.

He was an impressive, good #2 option type of player in his prime before his game started to decline.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-09-2012, 03:39 AM
Antoine "I don't bend those knees when I shoot them 3's, there should be a 4 pointer in the NBA" Walker.

Eagles710
04-09-2012, 05:52 AM
ill miss the shimy shake

3ballbomber
04-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Thank you for 2006 Heat Ship Walker!!

Bos_Sports4Life
04-09-2012, 06:23 PM
He was a good player. Not sure what you're trying to argue.

Nobody said he was an All-Time Great or anything.

He was an impressive, good #2 option type of player in his prime before his game started to decline.

Antoine was "Good" at taking a HUGE amount of shots..

In the Reg Season..

* .414 FG% (Terrible)

* .484 TS% (Terrible)..Monte ellis who is known as a volume scorer has a TS% of .533

* He Led the League in 3 point shot attempts 3 times and is 14th all time, and for what?? He wasn't an impressive 3 point shooter..He shot .325 for his career

* He has 5.7 CAREER Offensive Win shares (Pierce had 6.5 Just last season)

* His career ORtg is at 97.

Playoffs? He's even worse..

He has NEGATIVE OWS's, ORtg of 95, FG% of .406

Calling him "Good" is without a doubt overrating him..

Fresno
04-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Antoine was "Good" at taking a HUGE amount of shots..

In the Reg Season..

* .414 FG% (Terrible)

* .484 TS% (Terrible)..Monte ellis who is known as a volume scorer has a TS% of .533

* He Led the League in 3 point shot attempts 3 times and is 14th all time, and for what?? He wasn't an impressive 3 point shooter..He shot .325 for his career

* He has 5.7 CAREER Offensive Win shares (Pierce had 6.5 Just last season)

* His career ORtg is at 97.

Playoffs? He's even worse..

He has NEGATIVE OWS's, ORtg of 95, FG% of .406

Calling him "Good" is without a doubt overrating him..

You're forgetting the end of his career as he became a 3PT chucking role player with conditioning issues negatively affected the career he had put together in his prime.

I'm talking of Walker at his peak in Boston. Yes, at that point he was a good player. I dont see how you can say an All Star talent who was productive for them would not be "Good" at that time. Thats what I'll remember of Antoine Walker, so pointing out the first stats you can find on basketball reference :laugh2: about his career is irrelevant to me.

You clearly dont even understand the spectrum of the TS% stat by making a comparison between Antoine Walker's career numbers and a renowned scorer in his prime like Monta Ellis. Glad you finally discovered basketball reference, but learn the stats before you start throwing them around in arguments.

SportsFanatic10
04-09-2012, 07:26 PM
didn't really like him much when he was on the heat but i never wanted to see him screw things up so badly for himself. hopefully he can get his **** together and enjoy retirement.

TrueFan420
04-09-2012, 09:15 PM

this... that fool was hella rich how do you piss that type of money away

KnIckFaN.2883
04-09-2012, 09:36 PM
this guy was always a bum. if he was smart he would of spent his money wisly and would of been living good but he spent. he's just another example a athelite going bankrupt. such a pity

Bos_Sports4Life
04-10-2012, 02:04 AM
You're forgetting the end of his career as he became a 3PT chucking role player with conditioning issues negatively affected the career he had put together in his prime.

He was a chucker..even in his prime..

From ages 24-26 he shot 1,830 3's

I'm talking of Walker at his peak in Boston. Yes, at that point he was a good player. I dont see how you can say an All Star talent who was productive for them would not be "Good" at that time. Thats what I'll remember of Antoine Walker, so pointing out the first stats you can find on basketball reference :laugh2: about his career is irrelevant to me.

I WATCHED Antoine on a nightly basis in his time in boston..

If a player has a Career TOTAL of 5.7 Offensive win shares that said player wasn't a good offensive player...Thats an EXTREMELY small # for a supposed all star..

You clearly dont even understand the spectrum of the TS% stat by making a comparison between Antoine Walker's career numbers and a renowned scorer in his prime like Monta Ellis. Glad you finally discovered basketball reference, but learn the stats before you start throwing them around in arguments.

Maybe YOU should learn what those stats mean, you are the one who is obviously unaware a TS% of .485 is unimpressive (that was his TS% in his time in Boston)

In Boston his TS% was over .500 only 1 time..

Freaking BRIAN SCALABRINE has a Career TS% of .485 (obviously Walker>>>Scal, but this just shows how terrible efficient antoine really was)

Lakers4ItAll
04-10-2012, 02:19 AM
I work w/ his little brother!

xk4
04-10-2012, 02:23 AM
You're about to work with his little brother's older brother too

Underdogz∞
04-10-2012, 03:35 AM
You're about to work with his little brother's older brother too

:laugh2: Nice one!

3mikee_
04-10-2012, 03:37 AM
Used to think him and Paul Pierce in Boston were the scariest combo in the NBA.

Missing56&33
04-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Antoine Walker likes the good life. He got about 50 luxury vehicles. Or had 50 luxury vehicles.

RowBTrice
04-10-2012, 02:01 PM
This isn't sad people, it's pathetic.

RaiderLakersA's
04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Antoine Walker likes the good life. He got about 50 luxury vehicles. Or had 50 luxury vehicles.

Had. He's broke now.

But maybe he can get back with one of his baby's mamas. Doesn't she have a reality TV show now?