StealingSigns
04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Boston Red Sox

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae23/snarlyb/milano-redsox.jpg

VS

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae23/snarlyb/milano_jays.jpg

Toronto Blue Jays

Monday, April 9, 7:07 PM ET

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_467094.jpg VS http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_506693.jpg
Felix Doubront.....Henderson Alvarez

The lefty makes his first start after winning a rotation spot in Spring Training. Doubront was 1-0 with a 2.70 ERA in four Grapefruit League outings. He has made three career starts in the Majors, all of them in 2010, going 1-2 with a 4.11 ERA.

Alvarez is fresh off a rookie campaign that saw him post a 3.53 ERA in 10 starts. He worked on developing a slider during the spring and the third pitch could add another element to his stong fastball/changeup combination.

Tuesday, April 10, 7:07 PM ET

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_453268.jpg VS http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_475138.jpg
Daniel Bard.....Kyle Drabek

After three years of dominant bullpen performances, Bard moves into his new role as a starter. He hasn't worked in that role regularly since 2007 in the Minors. Bard has pitched 197 innings in his career, hopes to match that total this season.

Drabek was a late addition to the rotation after a foot injury to Dustin McGowan and the struggles of Brett Cecil. Drabek enters 2012 looking to rebound from a subpar rookie campaign that saw him go 4-5 with a 6.06 ERA in 18 games.

Wednesday, April 11, 12:37 PM ET

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_452657.jpg VS http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_460069.jpg
Jon Lester.....Ricky Romero
0-0, 1.29 ERA..........0-0, 7.20 ERA

The power lefty is coming off a strong performance on Opening Day, when he held the Tigers to one run over seven innings but took a no decision. Lester is 6-3 with a 3.33 ERA in 11 career starts in Toronto.

Romero suffered through one bad inning during his last start against Cleveland. He allowed four runs in the second, but recovered to get through the fifth without any additional damage. Romero has a 7.12 ERA in 13 career starts against Boston.

Alvarez, Blue Jays ready for home cooking

The Blue Jays will head back to Toronto late Sunday night for the first time this season as the club prepares to open a nine-game homestand.

Right-hander Henderson Alvarez will get the start for the Blue Jays against Boston's Felix Doubront in the home opener on Monday night.

The 21-year-old Alvarez has just 10 big league starts under his belt, but manager John Farrell doesn't expect the young Venezuelan to be intimidated by the sold-out crowd.

"He'll work quick, throw strikes and change speeds," Farrell said of Alvarez, who declined to speak with reporters before his upcoming start. "The one thing that stood out last year when we had first-year guys come to the pitching staff, Alvarez, [Joel] Carreno and Luis Perez, all three handled themselves exceptionally well in the situations they found themselves in.

"I guarantee you everyone in our uniform will be heightened [Monday]. That's the norm with Opening Day, but he's such a good athlete I think he can channel that adrenaline in the right away."

Alvarez began the 2011 season in Class A Dunedin, but by August had advanced through the Minor League system and was on his way to Toronto. The hard-throwing righty recorded six quality starts in 10 outings.

Arencibia gets break from behind the plate
CLEVELAND -- Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia received his first day off on Sunday afternoon in Cleveland.

Arencibia had caught all 28 innings that were played during the first two games against the Indians. That prompted manager John Farrell to give him a brief period of rest in order to remain fresh for the club's upcoming homestand.

As a result, veteran backstop Jeff Mathis got his first start on Sunday in a Toronto uniform following an offseason trade with the Angels.

"We're going to ride J.P.," Farrell said. "But at the same time, my view at that position -- and not to take anything away from either guy -- that second catcher, it's a two-man position, and we're fortunate we've got a very capable one in Mathis."

Arencibia hit the go-ahead home run on Thursday night that secured Toronto's 7-4 victory in 16 innings. The 26-year-old is 1-for-12 with three RBIs in two games this year.

Mathis, who is known for his defensive work behind the plate, hit just .174 with three home runs and 22 RBIs in 93 games last season with the Angels.

Back issues haven't slowed Lind early on
So far, so good for Adam Lind and the soreness in his back that has become a lingering problem for the past year.

Lind has been able to play in all three of Toronto's games this season and even though he was lifted for a pinch-runner on Thursday evening, he has been able to handle the workload without any issues.

The veteran first baseman was forced to sit out five days late in Spring Training because of tightness in his back. It's something that will be monitored all season long, but hasn't created any need for extended rest.

"The schedule with a day game on Wednesday followed by an off-day, that might be a time where we look to give him a bit of a breather," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "But talking to him every day and monitoring it, he feels loose, he feels free.

"Like we talked about when he came back, we'll monitor the overall volume, but the fact that playing first keeps him warm, keeps him loose, rather than sitting for two or three innings and then he has to go up [as a DH] and take the at-bat."

Reserve outfielder Ben Francisco is the only Blue Jays player that has yet to appear in a game so far this season. Francisco suffered from a strained hamstring during Spring Training, but has been given a clean bill of health.

"He's good to go," Farrell said. "Right now he's the only position player that hasn't gotten into a game. That hasn't been because of physical limitations that's just because of game situations."

Francisco hit .244 with six homers and 34 RBIs in 100 games for Philadelphia in 2011.

Sanyo
04-08-2012, 06:29 PM
boo!

TO Rapz
04-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Can't wait to see Alvarez tomorrow. :drool:

StealingSigns
04-08-2012, 06:37 PM
boo!

Boo-urns?

StealingSigns
04-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Who all is going to opening night?

StealingSigns
04-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Can't wait to see Alvarez tomorrow. :drool:

I was about to post the exact same thing. Red Sox are going to be hungry, trying not to replicate their slow start from a year ago.

Toxeryll
04-08-2012, 06:53 PM
I only see us winning the opener.

ILDD
04-08-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm going to opening night (Labatt's box) and Wednesday (section 120) so I'm hoping for at least 2 wins.

Actually pretty confident of beating Doubront and Bard but not so much Lester.

avrpatsfan
04-08-2012, 07:58 PM
I heard that Alvarez has filthy stuff, is that true guys?

will_87
04-08-2012, 08:05 PM
The Red Sox will be pissed off after their performance against Detroit over the weekend. I think that the two pitchers the Blue Jays will face in the first two games are beatable, however Alvarez and Drabek are both wild cards that need to be taken into account. Boston could beat up on them as well.

Dol-Fan
04-08-2012, 08:06 PM

Awesome sinking movement on his fastball that can run up into the mid 90s (topped out at 97 last year, if I recall? Perhaps someone else can confirm) with a nasty change. Slider is a real work in progress that needs to be improved from last year. The fastball really is filthy though.

avrpatsfan
04-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Awesome sinking movement on his fastball that can run up into the mid 90s (topped out at 97 last year, if I recall? Perhaps someone else can confirm) with a nasty change. Slider is a real work in progress that needs to be improved from last year. The fastball really is filthy though.
Seems like the type of guy that can shut us down haha. The Blue Jays are going to be scary good within the next few years, thank god Lackey and Dice-K are going to be gone by then probably.

masTOR_shake1
04-08-2012, 08:54 PM
props on the summaries stealingsigns, nicely done. i think the jays take this series. might drop the last one to lester.

nithanyo
04-08-2012, 08:58 PM
this will be a good test and measuring stick. We can see how the back end of our rotation + Romero does against the big bad red sox

mtf
04-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Going to the afternoon game at the end of the series, Romero vs. Lester. Should be a good one!

Sanyo
04-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Alvarez has a plus fastball that has a ton of movement and changeup that can vary greatly in velocity. Both are plus pitches...if he can get the slider to above average, let alone a plus pitch, he could be one of the best in the game...he's still only 21 so he has time to work on the slider...

jmoney23
04-08-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm going to the home opener and am really pumped, especially with a packed house and a bitter division rival. Only thing is that we got our tickets through Pete Walker, the Jays' bullpen coach, so don't quite know where we are sitting yet. First street meat before a Jays game of the year!

Anyone think Lind sits either the 1st game or the 3rd game against the lefty, plus the fact they said he was going to sit to rest his back during the season.

rapsjaysfan88
04-08-2012, 09:25 PM

he shut you guys down last year, papi said he was similar to pedro martinez

scottythegreat1
04-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I want to see the Red Sox start 0-6.

We all know theyre going to push themselves coming here. Theyre pitching looks almost as good as ours and theyre hitting is almost as good as ours. Its a matter of who pushes the right buttons, and let us not forget that we have home field advantage.

Its going to be an interesting series, and Im projecting a sweep. The games are going to be close, its not going to be an easy sweep, but sweeping Boston (the team we were the weakest against last year) would be the best thing the Jays could do to make a statement that we are serious contenders this year.

This homestand is the first trial the Blue Jays face. Its 9 games against our division rivals....If we can win at least 7 of them, thats a good start. Realistically, The Jays will win 5 or 6...but 7 would be nice.

2009mvp
04-08-2012, 10:07 PM
God I hope they keep leading Nick Punto off.

JermanJaysFan
04-08-2012, 10:13 PM

Yeah, you're right (http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=5669&position=P&pitch=FA)

wowzman
04-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Carreno optioned to Triple-A.

Laffey called up

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120408&content_id=28156206&notebook_id=28185044&vkey=notebook_tor&c_id=tor

JermanJaysFan
04-08-2012, 10:20 PM
^^Just so people are aware- Laffey is coming up as another lefty in the 'pen, and the Jays go to a 4-ma rotation for the time being.

jaysnraptors44
04-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Wheres Lackey !! we want lackey !! we want lackey !!

MrForever
04-08-2012, 10:35 PM
We can take these guys.

Let's give the Bo Sox another terrible start to the season!

will_87
04-08-2012, 10:38 PM
he shut you guys down last year, papi said he was similar to pedro martinez

He doesn't have the same strikeout power that Pedro had though I think, but nevertheless quite a name to live up to.

Sanyo
04-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Alvarez averages around 90-92 but if he reaches back can get to 95. However he does have a low k% rate as others have mentioned -- he will also need to work on the slider to improve the k rate and have long-term success - as good as he is, its very difficult to earn a living in the MLB as a starter with 2 pitches...if he gets the slider working, he's a #2 in my mind...

es0terik
04-08-2012, 11:11 PM
We can take these guys.

Let's give the Bo Sox another terrible start to the season!

This is a team with a chip on their shoulder, a team that's coming off a game where they lost even though they scored 12 runs. Why does everyone assume they are weak? We got schooled by a 38 year old starter today. Yeah they're putting out a weak pitcher but Alvarez still has to face the Boston offense... If our guys aren't scoring we aren't going to win. The season has barely started and people are already predicting a sweep of the Red Sox, temper your expectations.

Dol-Fan
04-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Alvarez averages around 90-92 but if he reaches back can get to 95. However he does have a low k% rate as others have mentioned -- he will also need to work on the slider to improve the k rate and have long-term success - as good as he is, its very difficult to earn a living in the MLB as a starter with 2 pitches...if he gets the slider working, he's a #2 in my mind...

Just want to make sure people aren't receiving false information. Alvarez averaged 93.3 on his FB last year and topped out at 97, as was reported above by JJF and myself :)

mtf
04-08-2012, 11:29 PM
This is a team with a chip on their shoulder, a team that's coming off a game where they lost even though they scored 12 runs. Why does everyone assume they are weak? We got schooled by a 38 year old starter today. Yeah they're putting out a weak pitcher but Alvarez still has to face the Boston offense... If our guys aren't scoring we aren't going to win. The season has barely started and people are already predicting a sweep of the Red Sox, temper your expectations.

I somewhat agree. I'm predicting a 2-1 series win for the Jays, but that's merely because I like the pitching match-ups.

Boston's offense is still quite potent but their pitching is, well in my opinion anyway, quite weak. I think Romero and Alvarez will be quite capable of keeping their production down, and I'm eager to see how Drabek will perform after the reports that he's changed his approach (I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm still hopeful).

aman_13
04-08-2012, 11:42 PM
I hope Escobar, Thames and Rasmus can get going in this series. All are off to bad starts.

scottythegreat1
04-09-2012, 02:51 AM

I admit, I know Im predicting a sweep. I know Im being optimistic, but I know we are just as good, if not better than Boston now.

If The Jays are patient enough against their starting pitching, and can get to their bullpen, they can easily sweep the Red Sox. Once the Red Sox lost Andrew Bailey, that made their bullpen vulnerable.

Honestly, all three of those games could go either way, itll be a good series.

Bubba54
04-09-2012, 03:04 AM
I see us winning the opener. On paper we have the pitching advantage that night and the home opener crowd will be electric.

The next 2 games could go either way. I picked Boston taking 2/3 by way of their lineup and the fact we had to steal our 2 wins from the Indians. But those last 2 are toss-ups to me.

This team won't back down and will fight tooth and nail to get the win.

We gotta catch Baltimore though, just saying...

AK-50
04-09-2012, 07:28 AM
i can see this series either us getting swept or one comes away taking 2/3 should be a big test early

AA09-?
04-09-2012, 09:21 AM
I didn't see a game against the Indians so I'm hoping I'll have the time this evening....I'm pumped!!

Jays Claw
04-09-2012, 09:51 AM
I get off at 7:30 from work. So until then keep me posted guys because I'll be checking my phone for updates.

As for the series in general, I think our offense can easily match theirs. However the pitching will always present itself as the wild card for both teams. I think we take the first 2 games.

Bob Loblaw
04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
I hope the offence can get started earlier this series. The Jays only had a lead in 3 of the 37 innings against Cleveland.

Bob_at_york
04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
We are batting under .200 as a team. We need to get better. Hopefully being back at home re-energizes their bats.

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 10:36 AM
alot of early swinging in the counts by the jays, especially against masterson, and a lack of patience is killing this team. he was great no doubt, but he was throwing a ton outside the strike zone that the jays were just swinging at. felix doubront is no push over as well, he's one of the sox's emerging pitching prospects, but the jays should be able to pound on him if they stay patient. if he's throwing strikes then go ahead and get aggressive. you know the sox will try to be patient against alvarez (even though he already pounds the strike zone). key is get to the sox bullpen early since they have struggled early on and are just as spent as the jays bullpen...

Krylian
04-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I say Sox take 2 of 3. Seems like they always come in during April and take the air out of the Jays balloon. Until the Jays show me otherwise I'm gonna assume they still figure out a way of taking at least 2.

Hoping the Jays show me otherwise.

FlakeyFool
04-09-2012, 10:41 AM
sold out crowd in the opener, then 5 ppl show up to the next game

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 10:42 AM
sold out crowd in the opener, then 5 ppl show up to the next game

thats when i'll go lol. though for the boston series should be above the norm for the 2nd game of the season...

bartron_44
04-09-2012, 11:21 AM
->JoeyBats starts off another season with an OPS over 1.000.

->KJ is off to a foolish start in the 2 hole.

->Lind looks good at first base and at the plate. He hit a few balls very hard and could easily have been 5 for 12 in that series with 2 walks and only 1 strikeout.

-> EE just missed 2 HR's and has 3 doubles in 3 games.

-> Thames struggled laying off the low the sinkers from Cleveland, but he never struck out. He hit a couple of his outs pretty hard, and drew a walk, so I think his numbers will bounce up here pretty soon.

-> Lawrie really struggled in that first game, but looked solid again going 3 for 8 with 3 opposite field hits and 3 RBI's during games 2 and 3.

-> Davis looked great in his role hitting against left handers in that series. He got unlucky a couple times, but he hit the ball hard all 3 times he faced them.

Nick O
04-09-2012, 11:22 AM
lol frank fransisco 3 straight saves to start the season :P

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 11:24 AM
->JoeyBats starts off another season with an OPS over 1.000.

->KJ is off to a foolish start in the 2 hole.

->Lind looks good at first base and at the plate. He hit a few balls very hard and could easily have been 5 for 12 in that series with 2 walks and only 1 strikeout.

-> EE just missed 2 HR's and has 3 doubles in 3 games.

-> Thames struggled laying off the low the sinkers from Cleveland, but he never struck out. He hit a couple of his outs pretty hard, and drew a walk, so I think his numbers will bounce up here pretty soon.

-> Lawrie really struggled in that first game, but looked solid again going 3 for 8 with 3 opposite field hits and 3 RBI's during games 2 and 3.

-> Davis looked great in his role hitting against left handers in that series. He got unlucky a couple times, but he hit the ball hard all 3 times he faced them.

Rasmus also had a few balls hit hard as well but just didnt drop in for him. Hopefully he turns it around, only had 2 strikeouts that whole series as well..

2009mvp
04-09-2012, 11:51 AM
That was a pretty ****** situation for hitters anyways, three straight starters with bowling ball sinkers in frigid temperatures could not have been fun. I'm sure they'll look better indoors against Doubront and Bard.

the_jon
04-09-2012, 12:48 PM
That was a pretty ****** situation for hitters anyways, three straight starters with bowling ball sinkers in frigid temperatures could not have been fun. I'm sure they'll look better indoors against Doubront and Bard.
Agreed. Though there isn't much excuse for the lack of plate patience. However, I'm sure they are not used to hitting in cold temperatures after playing down south all month.

Skydome is usually a nice remedy for hitting woes so I expect better offensive production this time around.

Nick O
04-09-2012, 01:55 PM
I think were gonna push the Sox to 0-5 before they pick up their first win with Lester. In front of a usually crazy first night crowd and this pitcher I feel a win tonight. I see us 4-2 after this series. solid start

es0terik
04-09-2012, 02:27 PM
I get off at 7:30 from work. So until then keep me posted guys because I'll be checking my phone for updates.

As for the series in general, I think our offense can easily match theirs. However the pitching will always present itself as the wild card for both teams. I think we take the first 2 games.

Done. You put in an ***load of work to get together the Pay-Per-View threads in the wrestling forum so I'll try to do what I can with the significant play-by-plays :)

As for the Rasmus criticism, I'm actually in the same boat as Sanyo here. I think a lot of the hate towards him is unwarranted, the guy absolutely smashed a few balls and simply got unlucky like many others did. The biggest problem the Jays had during that series was swinging early and swinging at bad pitches. We had WAY too many groundball outs and I doubt playing in a different stadium factors much into groundouts. That's something that needs to actually be fixed, and fast.

I bet our BABIP as a team is horrible right now.

es0terik
04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
I thought so. That series in itself was dominated by pitching and unlucky hitting.

The Indians are currently sitting with the absolute worst BABIP in the game with .143 while the Blue Jays have the 5th lowest mark in the majors at .226.

The thing that hurts me the most is that even though the Yankees are 0-3, they have the highest walk rate in the majors, with the third lowest strikeout rate and are the only team in the game that is actually walking more than striking out as a whole. That's gotta be good for them.

lol @ the Brewers so far. 3.8% walk rate, 26.9% strikeout rate.

ktownguy31
04-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Going to the afternoon game at the end of the series, Romero vs. Lester. Should be a good one!

that pisses me off....living in BC i get shafted ,no point pvring it though

es0terik
04-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Here's a unique stat... During the small sample size we have seen so far, the Blue Jays have the most WAR out of the second base position than any other team in the majors, sitting at 0.4 WAR which is twice as high as the next 7 teams that are tied for 0.2. That's all Johnson, who has been great so far.

At the same time, the Jays have the WORST production in the majors at both SS (-0.2 WAR) and CF (-0.2 WAR) so far.

And while WAR doesn't mean much for pitching, the Jays have the second lowest starting pitching WAR in the game at -0.2

Going into this series, our worst players have been Rasmus (-0.2), Escobar (-0.2), Thames (-0.1) and Lawrie (-0.1) while our best have been Johnson (0.4 WAR) and Bautista (0.3 WAR). Our third best player is actually Lind, who's got a .308 wOBA and a 105 wRC+ right now.

Again, all of this is extreme, extreme sample size but it just tells us who's hot and who's not going into this series.

leafswin2011
04-09-2012, 03:14 PM
hopefully be tied for the division lead after this series..really hoping we win the first 2.

Towelie
04-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Good luck tonight guys!

Macedonian
04-09-2012, 03:25 PM
BS... RotoInfo says Arencibia is going to play OF!:)

Y. Escobar - SS
K. Johnson - 2B
J. Bautista - RF
A. Lind - 1B
E. Encarnacion - DH
B. Lawrie - 3B
E. Thames - LF
J. Arencibia - CF
J. Mathis - C

Nick O
04-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Y. Escobar - SS
K. Johnson - 2B
J. Bautista - RF
A. Lind - 1B
E. Encarnacion - DH
B. Lawrie - 3B
E. Thames - LF
J. Arencibia - CF
J. Mathis - C

aha lol nice... I wonder where he would rank in terms of fastest catchers.. hes slow but not really for a catcher..

AK-50
04-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Y. Escobar - SS
K. Johnson - 2B
J. Bautista - RF
A. Lind - 1B
E. Encarnacion - DH
B. Lawrie - 3B
E. Thames - LF
J. Arencibia - CF
J. Mathis - C

lol somebody needs to be fired

Macedonian
04-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Here's the correct line-up:

Escobar-SS
Johnson-2B
Bautista-RF
Lind-1B
Encarnacion-DH
Lawrie-3B
Thames-LF
Arencibia-C
Rasmus-CF

the_jon
04-09-2012, 03:31 PM
I have a feeling we're going to make Boston seriously reconsider Bard as a starter by the time this series is done.

Nick O
04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
anyone feel a Bautista bomb tonight?

Nick O
04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Here's the correct line-up:

Escobar-SS
Johnson-2B
Bautista-RF
Lind-1B
Encarnacion-DH
Lawrie-3B
Thames-LF
Arencibia-C
Rasmus-CF

ya that makes sense lol..

Nick O
04-09-2012, 03:40 PM
just a question.. how good of a fielder is ben fransisco? ...

Macedonian
04-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Sorry guys, another correction... Checked and confirmed now!:)

Escobar-SS
Johnson-2B
Bautista-RF
Encarnacion-DH
Lind-1B
Lawrie 3B
Davis-LF
Arencibia-C
Rasmus-CF

So, Thames is not playing tonight!

es0terik
04-09-2012, 03:47 PM
That's ****ing stupid... If you're going to have Thames sit down and give damn starts to Rajai then why the hell is Snider in the minors right now.. This really pisses me off and unless Thames is injured, I don't care what the point behind it is.

Canadian hemi
04-09-2012, 03:58 PM
I think he just giving Davis some at bats at this stage of the season. Nothing big here. Just a day off.

adid727
04-09-2012, 04:02 PM
thames defance has been horrible in the first series of the season. I would rather have snider since both are equally horrible when it comes to batting.

WhatSayYou
04-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Fine with Davis playing, apart from that terrible bunt he`s been solid. A little surprising though he`d sit Thames after he finally got a couple of hits to end last game

Dol-Fan
04-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Don't forget Doubront is a lefty, Davis is actually decent against left handed pitching where Thames is god ****ing awful. Same reason Lind is dropped down in the lineup.

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Doubront is a lefty that's all -- even if Snider was up they'd sit him too. Im sure Rasmus will be sitting when Lester pitches...

WhatSayYou
04-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Don't forget Doubront is a lefty, Davis is actually decent against left handed pitching where Thames is god ****ing awful. Same reason Lind is dropped down in the lineup.

Ah forgot about that, makes perfect sense now :)

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Bautista interview right now on fan 590!

Asked who he'd like to come up from the minors and rooting for -- out of all people -- jonathan diaz!

bomber0104
04-09-2012, 04:26 PM
I could see all possible outcomes in this series, from us sweeping to the Sox sweeping.

But one thing for sure, if we want to have a chance, our offense better starting showing up and i'm confident they will at home. Dubront is nothing special and we already hammered Bard in ST. Pitching and pen will also be huge for us.

no matter what, this is gonna be a fun series

dtmagnet
04-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I could see all possible outcomes in this series, from us sweeping to the Sox sweeping.

But one thing for sure, if we want to have a chance, our offense better starting showing up and i'm confident they will at home. Dubront is nothing special and we already hammered Bard in ST. Pitching and pen will also be huge for us.

We are 6th in the league in runs scored, how is our offense not showing up?

es0terik
04-09-2012, 04:34 PM
:speechless:

Havok24
04-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Very nice to see Farrell utilizing Davis against LHP. I'm impressed with how he has handled the players so far this year.

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Jays also hammered Bard last year as well when he was going through his meltdown -- so they can realistically get both of the game. Lester though is another story -- but if the Jays want to breakthrough they have to be able to start beating pitchers like Lester...

statquo
04-09-2012, 04:44 PM

Because it doesn't show up til the eighth or ninth innings against relief pitchers. Why can't it show up earlier?

bomber0104
04-09-2012, 04:46 PM

take away the extra innings runs and we've scored 4,3,3... that is probably near the bottom of the league

and majority of these came against relievers.. you can't afford to do that against the Sox because by the time you get to the 8th innings, they will be closer to 7 runs than the 2 or 3 runs that Indians had

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Again relax guys it was 3 games...they will pick it up.

JermanJaysFan
04-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Literally just put the finishing touches on my thesis. I think I'll be able to watch tonight :)

jon32
04-09-2012, 05:25 PM
only 6 pages so far ? weak.

so pumped for tonite, watchin bobcat at rogers cener right now

es0terik
04-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Guys tonight they're also going to show the story about Brett's sister for anyone that wanted to tune in for that.

es0terik
04-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Sportsnet Connected has Cox, Brunt, McCown, Buck and Ashby all sitting there talking about the Jays. McCown looks like such an out-of-place tool...

Dol-Fan
04-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Literally just put the finishing touches on my thesis. I think I'll be able to watch tonight :)

Man, I fell behind this past week...had two other massive papers that I wanted to really hone in on. I finished up my results last week, should be starting a discussion section in the coming days but that will be postponed for the Jays tonight.

JermanJaysFan
04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Man, I fell behind this past week...had two other massive papers that I wanted to really hone in on. I finished up my results last week, should be starting a discussion section in the coming days but that will be postponed for the Jays tonight.
I was in the same boat on Sunday- discussion went real smooth.

es0terik
04-09-2012, 05:38 PM
A buck blunder already and the game hasn't even started. "We're gonna see Chad Hutchison"

Kinglorious
04-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Why is there so many seats available for the Tuedsay/Wednesday game? Sure, they sell-out the opener, but they all forget about the next two? Come on. There's complete sections empty. I thought this team was generating more hype than that.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong...

StealingSigns
04-09-2012, 05:40 PM
haha one of my buddies from high school wrote this:

Beer sales will be limited at Jays' sold-out home opener (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/beer-sales-will-be-limited-at-blue-jays-sold-out-home-opener/article2395575/)

I didn't even know he worked for the Globe and Mail...

es0terik
04-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Why is there so many seats available for the Tuedsay/Wednesday game? Sure, they sell-out the opener, but they all forget about the next two? Come on. There's complete sections empty. I thought this team was generating more hype than that.

I think you're forget about the thousands upon thousands of people who buy their tickets at the gates on game day.

Kinglorious
04-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I think you're forget about the thousands upon thousands of people who buy their tickets at the gates on game day.

That's what I'm hoping for...:)

will_87
04-09-2012, 05:48 PM

I hope that you are proven wrong as well, but how often in recent years have the Blue Jays drawn well in the month of April outside of the opener? You'd think that there'd be no excuses because the Maple Leafs are toast, and Boston should theoretically be a larger draw, but unfortunately a portion of that is away fans who perhaps are unable to make a trip in the week.

Kinglorious
04-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Fans have to realise that sell-outs make the players better. We can't have another season teetering at 22,000 a game or whatever. If people have nothing else better to do on a game day, have the money, and like the Blue Jays -- show up and support them. I don't live 5min away from the Dome, or in the city at all. It's not as easy for me.

AK-50
04-09-2012, 05:55 PM
i like how they put the logo on the seats

Kinglorious
04-09-2012, 05:56 PM
They did? Nice. But what about when the Argos play there? lol
Unless they're planning on moving to BMO or something.

AK-50
04-09-2012, 06:00 PM
maybe those are new custom seats for jays games and when the argos play they remove them

will_87
04-09-2012, 06:04 PM
maybe those are new custom seats for jays games and when the argos play they remove them

The seats immediately behind home plate roll out to form the sideline seats for the Argonauts. As far as I know, that is the only part of the stadium that moves around for a baseball to football conversion.

Unless they're planning on moving to BMO or something.

The CEO of the Argonauts Chris Rudge has indicated that the Blue Jays aren't leaving the Skydome anytime soon.

es0terik
04-09-2012, 06:05 PM
This Hazel girl is so damn hot. I don't remember her being part of the Sportsnet team last year, so I'm hoping she's new and that we get to see her a lot more than Jamie and Gregg

es0terik
04-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Lawrie looks like he lost a few pounds in the off-season.

will_87
04-09-2012, 06:07 PM
This Hazel girl is so damn hot. I don't remember her being part of the Sportsnet team last year, so I'm hoping she's new and that we get to see her a lot more than Jamie and Gregg

She returned to Sportsnet after some time down south in the US.

AK-50
04-09-2012, 06:07 PM

she worked at sportsnet like back in the day then she worked at NESN and MLB Network last few years

Abdul Mutalib
04-09-2012, 06:09 PM
body is bangin but the face not so much...

es0terik
04-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Yeah I just checked out Wikipedia lol. She worked there till 04 and came back this November, so she's new to me still :)

AK-50
04-09-2012, 06:10 PM
i actually got to meet her she came to my high school when i was in gr 9 or 10

Kinglorious
04-09-2012, 06:11 PM
The seats immediately behind home plate roll out to form the sideline seats for the Argonauts. As far as I know, that is the only part of the stadium that moves around for a baseball to football conversion.

The CEO of the Argonauts Chris Rudge has indicated that the Blue Jays aren't leaving the Skydome anytime soon.

You mean the Argos ;)

TOJAYS
less than an hour! :clap:

es0terik
Pat Tabler looks like such a troll.

es0terik
04-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Henderson feasted on Gonzo last time he saw the Sox it looks like.

The media is addicted to Joey Bats lol

AK-50
04-09-2012, 06:14 PM
dominating the league in HR's the last 2 years would do that to you lol

Kinglorious
04-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Looking forward to seeing the sell-out crowd -- which, again -- I hope is not a one time thing this year...

es0terik
04-09-2012, 06:15 PM
The Beest is on Sportsnet Connected

Nice to see Rasmus smile for once lol

Kinglorious
04-09-2012, 06:16 PM
You hitting 10,000 tonight, es0terik?

AK-50
04-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Looking forward to seeing the sell-out crowd -- which, again -- I hope is not a one time thing this year...

yea opening day is always packed but last year when they retired alomar's number the place was filled i was like im getting a bobble-head :D...........DAMN place is packed! i think there was over 46k at the game

will_87
04-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Get Jason Spezza off my television!

will_87
04-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Rangers in 4!

es0terik
04-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Are you ****ting me? Hockey talk even on the Jays opening day show? GTFO

You hitting 10,000 tonight, es0terik?

Hell yeah, I usually get 300 posts in the Monday Night Raw threads in the Wrestling forum, pair that with the game today and I'm ready to go. :)

Kinglorious
04-09-2012, 06:23 PM
I want a bobble-head... :(

es0terik
04-09-2012, 06:25 PM
lmao @ Zaun :laugh2:

I'm getting em all this year with my season pass :)

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 06:26 PM
holy crap look at the line to get in -- not super jealous of those lines to be honest...however scalpers must be cleaning up today...

es0terik
04-09-2012, 06:30 PM
LOL Omar Vizquel is ****ing awesome! LOLLLLLLLLLLL

That was a friggin amazing segment with them trying to get the Jays to sing Take Me Out to the Ball Game

North Yorker
04-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Lineup:

Escobar-SS
Johnson-2B
Bautista-RF
Encarnacion-DH
Lind-1B
Lawrie 3B
Davis-LF
Arencibia-C
Rasmus-CF

EE to cleanup, Rajai in for Thames.

AK-50
04-09-2012, 06:32 PM

i only got an alex rios bobble head :(

will_87
04-09-2012, 06:35 PM

My sincerest condolences!

will_87
04-09-2012, 06:36 PM
My fantasy team is so pleased to learn that Stanton is injured for Miami!

AK-50
04-09-2012, 06:39 PM
my team is up 18-4 right now :D

will_87
04-09-2012, 06:40 PM
my team is up 18-4 right now :D

I'm down something like 145-133 in my ESPN league so I'm not in terrible shape I guess, but losing Stanton for any long period would be significant.

Kinglorious
04-09-2012, 06:42 PM

Oh my... :puke:

es0terik
04-09-2012, 06:42 PM
My main league is a stat categories league. Right now I'm winning in 9 of the 10 stat categories lol.

AK-50
04-09-2012, 06:44 PM
i joined a last minute league on mlb.com just to do a draft like days before opening day won last week so far so good

es0terik
04-09-2012, 06:50 PM
They're showing the Lawrie family story now :/

will_87
04-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I did not know about the tragedy that Lawrie's family suffered.

bomber0104
04-09-2012, 06:58 PM
can this game startalready

es0terik
I knew she passed away but I didn't know how, that's horrible :( I don't know what else to say.

The entire tattoo on Brett's left arm is for her.

BBB
So sad.. nearly cried.

will_87
04-09-2012, 06:59 PM

I know, they still got to do the player intros and honor Dr. Ron Taylor.

will_87
04-09-2012, 06:59 PM
I knew she passed away but I didn't know how, that's horrible :( I don't know what else to say.

The entire tattoo on Brett's left arm is for her.

I didn't know about that either, and yes that is a terrible way to go.

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:00 PM
So sad.. nearly cried.

^ :(

But hey, everything happens for a reason. Had that not happened, Brett may never have been born.

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:01 PM
I know, they still got to do the player intros and honor Dr. Ron Taylor.

And didn't they say that they were going to acknowledge Joey's accomplishments over the past two years? It's 7 PM already.

es0terik
It's starting! :jumpy:

Sanyo
Here we goooooooooooooooooo! Home openerrrrrrrr

es0terik
Jose Bautista must be blushing pretty hard at this.

bomber0104
04-09-2012, 07:02 PM
**** the ceremonies, lets play ball

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:03 PM
**** the ceremonies, lets play ball

:facepalm:

will_87
04-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Did I just see someone rocking a Paul Spoljaric jersey?

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:04 PM
There's a "Scott's Top Vote-Getter Award"..? I bet the Blue Jays made that up lol

will_87
04-09-2012, 07:05 PM
There's a "Scott's Top Vote-Getter Award"..? I bet the Blue Jays made that up lol

I ran it through google and came up with nothing.

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:06 PM
So much depressing stuff to start off the night :cry:

Tmath
Whats with all the depressing story's before the game?

Tmath

:laugh2:

will_87
Sadly these things happen, and it's something that needs to be acknowledged.

ryhno
04-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Anyone have a link to the game I can watch. Sadly i dont get sportsnet.

bomber0104
04-09-2012, 07:11 PM

some of you guys love yo use those so what the hell

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:11 PM
That's dumb why are the Jays fans booing all the Sox

bomber0104
04-09-2012, 07:12 PM

they should cheer?

idrinkpepsi
04-09-2012, 07:12 PM
DAT VIDEO

:clap:

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Those two that they had the memorial ceremony for were killed by some ****ing ******* on the road who committed suicide after shooting and killing three people including the two players.

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:14 PM
they should cheer?

No, they should act like you and ***** and moan and complain and cry and shout and haze and do everything that Sox and Yankee fans do by dropping to their level and showing no class.

bomber0104
04-09-2012, 07:15 PM
No, they should act like you and ***** and moan and complain and cry and shout and haze and do everything that Sox and Yankee fans do by dropping to their level and showing no class.

dude are you ****ing kidding me????? you want our fans to cheer for the ****ing Red Sox.... in a home opener too???

maybe we should boo our own players so they dont feel insulted

AK-50
04-09-2012, 07:16 PM
lol brian butterfield got one of the loudest cheers

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 07:18 PM

cause the sox fans would do the same...

es0terik
dude are you ****ing kidding me????? you want our fans to cheer for the ****ing Red Sox.... in a home opener too???

maybe we should boo our own players so they dont feel insulted

I never said they should cheer them :facepalm: They could shut their mouths and show class though.

Bob Loblaw
I hope they got someone better then the Blue Man Group this year to do the anthems

es0terik
cause the sox fans would do the same...

Nice mentality.

Sanyo

its sports there is no such thing as class -- this is why there is golf lol

AK-50
04-09-2012, 07:19 PM
to be fair they booed like 4 or 5 and the rest was like meh they suck but theyre still a red sox player so boo lol

bomber0104
04-09-2012, 07:20 PM
its sports there is no such thing as class -- this is why there is golf lol

can you believe this guy??

How does booing the opposition show no class?? its tradition

BlueJaysFan
I see no problem with booing the opposing team

BBB
Cool!

AK-50
04-09-2012, 07:21 PM
this guy always sings the anthems for the leafs remembrance day ceremonies

es0terik
can you believe this guy??

How does booing the opposition show no class?? its tradition

Tradition in your book also includes exploding and cursing and spamming pessimism throughout the entire course of every game :laugh2:

bomber0104
there you go they showed the american flag in the stands... thats some unnecessary class for you

TOJAYS
lol I think the red sox players have gone through a lot worse, not a big deal.

bomber0104
Tradition in your book also includes exploding and cursing and spamming pessimism throughout the entire course of every game :laugh2:

hahahaah........... no

BlueJaysFan
04-09-2012, 07:22 PM
True Patriot Lulllllllllllllllllllllve

henderson56
It's nice we got Lawrie some protection in the line up tonight.... Can't wait for him to move up in the line up.

bomber0104
LOL.. the stands in Cleveland are already empty

Sanyo
Are we getting the Canada chants?

AK-50
04-09-2012, 07:23 PM

not the whole game....

Tmath
04-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Hurry up already FACK!

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 07:24 PM
ok ill admit getting to be too much, alvarez can warm up only for so much time...

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Alvarez no hitter coming ;)

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:26 PM
not the whole game....

Oh right :laugh2:

AK-50
lol whoever is complaining that its taking too long needs to relax home openers are always time consuming

lexecutioner
man im not sure if i got a legit link. I badly want to watch this game :( Does anyone have MBL extra inning? coz my link has that but only showing schedule of game screen not the game. Hope when the game start they will show.

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:27 PM
This ball's not gonna make it past the mound.

Tmath
Is it bad that I don't even know the canadian anthem?

BlueJaysFan
Alvarez no hitter coming ;)

:speechless: If there is no, no hitter I am blaming it on you:facepalm:

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 07:28 PM
wow radio feed online is still working -- forgot to black it out i think...

i can avoid the buck blunders...

BBB
lol whoever is complaining that its taking too long needs to relax home openers are always time consuming

This is longer than usual.

BlueJaysFan

Yes.

AK-50

thats turrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible

es0terik
I like this song lol

Sanyo
04-09-2012, 07:29 PM
never mind jinxed it, they did black it out....sid and tim show on...

must enjoy the buck blunders... :(

lexecutioner
woooo got a link! :) Go Jays!! Hendo sink those Redsox!

lovingTO
I have an AMAZING LINK and I'll send to anyone that needs it. They just have to promise to share with anyone that asks for it in the forum the rest of the game. I won't be on here for long.

AK-50
04-09-2012, 07:30 PM
This is longer than usual.

not really 20 minutes is nothing some ceremonies in hockey go longer

es0terik
I'm like two minutes behind the game because I rewinded some of the stuff they showed earlier.

Sanyo
no glasses for alvarez looks weird...

bomber0104
no Buck, for a Red Sox lineup, this one doesn't look "so tough 1 through 9"

Sanyo
I have an AMAZING LINK and I'll send to anyone that needs it. They just have to promise to share with anyone that asks for it in the forum the rest of the game. I won't be on here for long.

sportsnet or nesn? if nesn please send (actually send it anyways please in case for the future).

wowzman
04-09-2012, 07:31 PM
About F'n time

will_87
No Geddy Lee?

Sanyo
1 down 26 to go :)

bomber0104
sit down Jacoby

BlueJaysFan
Wooooo

es0terik
Yeah I'd like the link too

AK-50
lol olympics is a bit much

Tmath
Ground ball out, I expect to see more of those.

bomber0104
wow i thought Alvarez used the cahnge more than that

will_87
04-09-2012, 07:32 PM
lol olympics is a bit much

Yeah...I guess.

bomber0104
lol 97 MPH.. coming in hot

BlueJaysFan
I love the way Alvarez pitches

bomber0104
04-09-2012, 07:33 PM
lol 89 MPH slider.. not much break though

BBB
Don't tell the fans were doing the roll call, yankee style..

Sanyo
quick i like it ... not like those red sox and yanks.

es0terik
Three fouls already lol

PJ Awesome
Boo yaa

Sanyo
Pedoria is one of the toughest to strike out...

bomber0104
come on hendo.. keep it low

BlueJaysFan
04-09-2012, 07:34 PM
2down!

bomber0104
thats more like it

es0terik
Forwarded through most of those two outs to get back to LIVE TV

AK-50
bout time damn pesky pedroia

es0terik
What did they say about the Olympics?

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:35 PM
If Davis dived that could have been a 1-pitch out :/

will_87

Buck compared the opening ceremonies of this game to the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.

Sanyo
Buck compared the opening ceremonies of this game to the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.

Buck blunder.

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:36 PM

LOL :laugh2:

AK-50

buck said the opening ceremonies was similar to a opening to the playoffs even the olympics

BlueJaysFan

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

will_87
Come on Henderson...don't let Gonzalez intimidate you.

bomber0104
such a good hitter

es0terik
I wish Davis had dived, stupid lazy bum

es0terik
04-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Boom

AK-50
K!

bomber0104
nasty

PJ Awesome
Nice!

Sanyo
PERFECT GAME ---....through one!

will_87
Goin' fishing are you Adrian?

Tmath
:k:

AK-50
when i saw that pitch i was like oh no a walk then he swung lol

greg_ory_2005
nice inning for henderson

BBB
04-09-2012, 07:38 PM
PERFECT GAME ---....through one!

Yes!! 8 more innings!

will_87
04-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Let's make the bottom of the 1st just as successful as last year!

AK-50
04-09-2012, 07:39 PM
cmon escobar be patient make this guy throw balls until he makes a mistake

treeleaf
04-09-2012, 07:39 PM
The kelly johnson trade is starting to look good.

will_87
04-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Did I see that Lefties are hitting .412 off of this pitcher? If so, why is Thames not in the lineup tonight?

greg_ory_2005
come on yunel, get it started right!

Bob Loblaw
That pitched looked good

RaffyBoy
Hey guys, wondering if there's a good website to watch all the games online? Website I use for Raptors isn't working. Thanks :D

greg_ory_2005
who is the red sox pitcher? i've never heard of him