PDA

View Full Version : Iman Shumpert

Pages : [1] 2

Slimsim
04-08-2012, 04:17 PM
So yea I been wanting to make this thread for a while and here's my chance. So Is Shumpert Still a Bad pick or the Biggest reach in last years draft ? And does he have potential to be in the same conversation as a James Harden ?

davids22
04-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Gotta love when a player has a good game on national television and these type of threads pop up.

It was still kind of a reach IMO but he's a solid player. To say he's on Harden's level is WAYYYY too premature. But the Knicks can't be upset with the pick. Dude can ball.

northsider
My god you can't be serious. Just like Bulls fans did with Rose you will soon make Iman a hated player when its undeserving by shoving him in peoples face like you do.

Bornknick73
He needs to improve his offense to get in with Harden. But hes getting there and I can see him becoming the premier wing defender in the league.

spreadeagle
04-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Jeremy who? lol NY sports stars have the shortest shelf life

davids22
04-08-2012, 04:22 PM
My god you can't be serious. Just like Bulls fans did with Rose you will soon make Iman a hated player when its undeserving by shoving him in peoples face like you do.

Damn, and coming from a Bulls fan (I'd assume) too.

Canterbury
04-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Rose stopper!

Kashmir13579
04-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Bulls fans found out today. The rest of the league better take notice.

tredigs
04-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Terrible offensive player who sports one of the lower PER's in the league at 10.7 and has alarming chucking tendencies that date back to his college days and manifest themselves in his 39% FG%. But, he's athletic and a great on-ball defender.

I'm not sure that he's a net+ player yet, but it's great for NY that he has energy on both ends.

Also, spare the defensive-homer talk. The majority of people watching the league were pretty spot on and fair with their projections of Shumpert. The backlash was basically just here on PSD and largely due to the tendency we see of NY players being put on blast here in the NBA forum.

Fly
04-08-2012, 04:24 PM
:facepalm: typical overrating of new York athletes

Avenged
04-08-2012, 04:25 PM
You been wanting to make this thread so now that he had a good game you decided to make it?? If you have to make this thread while waiting for the right time to make it then I think you answered your own question. :shrug:

Slimsim
Gotta love when a player has a good game on national television and these type of threads pop up.

It was still kind of a reach IMO but he's a solid player. To say he's on Harden's level is WAYYYY too premature. But the Knicks can't be upset with the pick. Dude can ball.

When Lin was doing his thing Shump was over shadowed and I Quietly Held my tongue and smiled, Now it's time for him to get love and hate. And i didn't say he was on Hardens level just if he can become one of those upcoming SG of the future

tredigs
Even tonight, 5/13 from the field including 2/7 from three. His shot selection doesn't match his talent level.

THE MTL
04-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Well I dont think Harden and Shumpert are the same player or play the same role. Harden off the bench is good for his career and I can see him doing great things in that role. He is the premier scorer off the bench.

However, I think Shumpert will eventually be a starter and go the lockdown defender route with decent offense.

F-Mart26
04-08-2012, 04:35 PM
2nd All-NBA Defensive Team.

tredigs
04-08-2012, 04:38 PM
A few stats worth taking a peak at if you want to see the distance he has to travel to reach a James Harden level of production:

James Harden: 20.6 PER, 124 Offensive Rating (4th in NBA), 65.4 TS% (2nd in NBA), .222 WinShare/48 (8th in NBA)

Iman Shumpert: 10.7 PER, 94 Offensive Rating, 47.7% TS%, 0.063 WinShare/48.

^Most of those are among the worst for starters or big-minute players.

Although he's a rookie and James Harden is a 3rd year pro, it's worth noting that they're just about the same age and it's not as if the strides Harden made from year 1 to 3 are common. He's a ridiculously good player; tough comparison for you to want for Shumpert.

But hey, like everyone agrees - great young wing defender.

thekmp211
04-08-2012, 04:39 PM
the three he took late in the fourth in particular was mind-blowingly bad judgement. his defense will keep in the league for a long time, and if he polishes up the offensive game he could be a legitimate star. there is a ton of potential there. dont think it was a reach at all.

edit: he's really not anything like james harden as a player, so idk where the comparison came from. obviously not close to as good either yet. he's in the tony allen mold, but could be a good deal better than tony if he puts it all together.

Slimsim
04-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Even tonight, 5/13 from the field including 2/7 from three. His shot selection doesn't match his talent level.

His offense will get better during the off season. He is a good rebounder and makes some good passes sometimes. he's not a chuck because there are nights when he takes 3-6 shots. Sometimes he doesn't look to score enough.

Kashmir13579
04-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Bruce Bowen always had a horrible PER, Tredigs.

Chronz
Well I dont think Harden and Shumpert are the same player or play the same role. Harden off the bench is good for his career and I can see him doing great things in that role. He is the premier scorer off the bench.

However, I think Shumpert will eventually be a starter and go the lockdown defender route with decent offense.
So one is Manu the other is Bruce Bowen? Sounds about right

MJ-BULLS
A few stats worth taking a peak at if you want to see the distance he has to travel to reach a James Harden level of production:

James Harden: 20.6 PER, 124 Offensive Rating (4th in NBA), 65.4 TS% (2nd in NBA), .222 WinShare/48 (8th in NBA)

Iman Shumpert: 10.7 PER, 94 Offensive Rating, 47.7% TS%, 0.063 WinShare/48.

^Most of those are among the worst for starters or big-minute players.

Although he's a rookie and James Harden is a 3rd year pro, it's worth noting that they're just about the same age and it's not as if the strides Harden made from year 1 to 3 are common. He's a ridiculously good player; tough comparison for you to want for Shumpert.

But hey, like everyone agrees - great young wing defender.

this, saved some time from pulling up the stats. hes good defensively.

Kashmir13579
04-08-2012, 04:44 PM

That sounds about amazing.

Kashmir13579
04-08-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm not really sure why or how Harden got brought into this conversation.

lvlheaded
04-08-2012, 04:45 PM
As a fellow Knick fan, this thread was an awful idea. All that will come of it is people bashing the Knicks, saying we all over rate our players, and hating on Shumpert because you made a thread about it.

To answer the thread, I like Shumpert and think he is gonna be a solid player that plays very good Defense. To compare him to James Harden is more premature than Jim in American Pie 1

Rivera
04-08-2012, 04:47 PM
shumpert is the best 2 way player in the league you didnt know???

if shumpert can improve his shot selection and overall shot he would be even more amazing

BcEuAbRsS
Bruce Bowen gets a thread?

Rivera

the Jeff Van Gundy comment saying how he loves shumpert and hes reaching harden level as JVG loves for nba players go

Kashmir13579
04-08-2012, 04:49 PM
the Jeff Van Gundy comment saying how he loves shumpert and hes reaching harden level as JVG loves for nba players go

I get that but it doesn't make them comparable. Shumpert is easily one of the better defenders in the NBA but Harden is the full package.

justinnum1
04-08-2012, 04:50 PM
He was good until his next crappy game.

as long as he's not asked to do to much(which he is) he will be fine

Slimsim

Wasn't Comparing Shump to harden. Many said harden is the future SG when Kobe, Wade, Manu and Joe.J retires I was wondering can Shump be in the conversation as Harden as Young Stud at the SG position

$GangGr33n$
Hardens offensive game is much better than Shumps while Shumps D is much better than Hardens. i can see Shump developing into a Iggy type of player meaning elite defender, solid scorer, passer, and rebounder while being extremely athletic

thekmp211
Wasn't Comparing Shump to harden. Many said harden is the future SG when kobe and wade, Manu, Joe.J retires I was wondering can Shump be in the conversation as Harden as Young Stud and the SG position

in that case i would say yes, he could be.

Chronz
04-08-2012, 04:51 PM

That sounds about amazing.
In some cases its more conducive to winning to be a bowen/battier than an Allstar so I agree. IF he gets there

tredigs
04-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Bruce Bowen always had a horrible PER, Tredigs.

But Bruce Bowen was always a fairly terrible offensive player that nobody could rely on for that half of the court, but at least he turned himself into a dead-eye 3pt threat; if Shumpert can at least develop this than it's a step in the right direction. PER and WS/48 are definitely more offensively orientated stats and I'm not saying that Shumpert would need elite numbers in these cats to prove he's valuable. But it definitely would highlight that he's becoming more efficient offensively if they did climb (and the reason why I put the stats out there was to shine a light on how big that gap is between him and Harden - who the OP mentioned as the possible path for Shumpert. Personally I don't think they're comparable in any way, and that's not all bad for Shumpert. He's definitely the better defender of the two).

AddiX
04-08-2012, 04:52 PM
There very different players, shumps on ball defense is another level. Hardens all around game is phenomenal. Both players any team would love to have.

I don't know why every thread in the NBA forum has to be about bashing players/posters/teams, but I've seen a lot of good vet posters chased away by this attitude.

meloman1592
04-08-2012, 04:52 PM
The Kid is a elite on ball defender as a rookie...you don't see that often

Slimsim
04-08-2012, 04:54 PM
As a fellow Knick fan, this thread was an awful idea. All that will come of it is people bashing the Knicks, saying we all over rate our players, and hating on Shumpert because you made a thread about it.

To answer the thread, I like Shumpert and think he is gonna be a solid player that plays very good Defense. To compare him to James Harden is more premature than Jim in American Pie 1

your right I was going to wait till Shump shutdown Wade but Rose is just as good

FraziersKnicks
04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
The guy is nothing like Harden.. He's a much better defensive player but not a fraction of the offensive player Harden is.

I think the Bowen, Battier comparisons are good. A better offensive Tony Allen comes to mind as well. But both Shump and Harden are very different players. Shumpert will be a DPOY candidate throughout his career though. The guy's defense is ridiculous.

Kashmir13579
04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Wasn't Comparing Shump to harden. Many said harden is the future SG when Kobe, Wade, Manu and Joe.J retires I was wondering can Shump be in the conversation as Harden as Young Stud at the SG position
Ok i get it. Shump as of right now isn't in that conversation. Being the future SG implies that they can do a lot more than just defend.

But Bruce Bowen was always a fairly terrible offensive player that nobody could rely on for that half of the court, but at least he turned himself into a dead-eye 3pt threat; if Shumpert can at least develop this than it's a step in the right direction. PER and WS/48 are definitely more offensively orientated stats and I'm not saying that Shumpert would need elite numbers in these cats to prove he's valuable. But it definitely would highlight that he's becoming more efficient offensively if they did climb (and the reason why I put the stats out there was to shine a light on how big that gap is between him and Harden - who the OP mentioned as the possible path for Shumpert. Personally I don't think they're comparable in any way, and that's not all bad for Shumpert. He's definitely the better defender of the two).

For sure, man. His 3pt shot has looked a lot better in the last 2 weeks or so, but i'm not banking on him becoming a dead-eye shooter from deep. Shumpert's best offensive tool, imo is getting to the rim and baby pull-ups from 12-15 feet out.

He's been erratic on offense all season, but with his athleticism, you gotta believe it can improve.

vdv36
04-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Can't wait for Tuesday!!! All I have to say!!!

tredigs
04-08-2012, 05:02 PM

OK, well in that case I'd say he has a ton of work ahead of him. He flat out won't ever be the offensive player that any of them are (those you listed range between perennial All-Star and 1st ballot HOF legends), and without that I'd find it hard to believe that he could be in the conversation with the top SG's.

Harden, Paul George, Eric Gordon, maybe Tyreke - I think those guys will probably be leading the SG pack alongside some young guns like Barnes and/or Jeremy Lamb 5 years from now. I'd also say that Klay Thompson has more potential to be a star SG than Shumpert. He just needs so much work offensively.

Kashmir13579
04-08-2012, 05:03 PM
OK, well in that case I'd say he has a ton of work ahead of him. He flat out won't ever be the offensive player that any of them are, and without that I'd find it hard to believe that he could be in the conversation with the top SG's.

Harden, Paul George, Eric Gordon, maybe Tyreke - I think those guys will probably be leading the SG pack alongside some young guns like Barnes and/or Jeremy Lamb 5 years from now. I'd also say that Klay Thompson has more potential to be a star SG than Shumpert. He just needs so much work offensively.

Jeremy Lamb. :drool:

meloman1592
04-08-2012, 05:04 PM
your right I was going to wait till Shump shutdown Wade but Rose is just as good

Lol relax bro. I'm just as excited as you but we already have Bulls nation mad at us. Don't bring south beach fans into this lol

tredigs
04-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Jeremy Lamb. :drool:

That's who I want in GS... Imagining a Steph Curry / Jeremy Lamb / Klay Thompson 1-3 with D. Lee and Bogut underneath. They would never miss a shot...

Kashmir13579
04-08-2012, 05:08 PM
That's who I want in GS... Imagining a Steph Curry / Jeremy Lamb / Klay Thompson 1-3 with D. Lee and Bogut underneath. They would never miss a shot...

:drool:

You guys in any position to go out and get him?

KnicksR4Real
Needs work on offense but he's an excellent defender.

DJYankee
:facepalm: Typical overrating of new york athletes

lmao!!!

jimm120
04-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Jeremy who? lol NY sports stars have the shortest shelf life

i don't know if you've noticed, but Jeremy Lin has not played for...like 2 weeks already and is out till the 2nd round of the playoffs (if the Knicks get that far).

So, why would people speak about Lin right now?

meloNYK
04-08-2012, 05:10 PM
great athlete, just needs a better shot

tredigs
04-08-2012, 05:10 PM
:drool:

You guys in any position to go out and get him?

If they luck out and get a top 7 lotto pick then we would get to keep it rather than it going to Utah. Also have San Antonio's 1st and New Jersey's 2nd so if they only get the 7th pick and Lamb is projected to go 4th or something - a 2 for 1 could happen. Hereeeeeee's hopin'

Kashmir13579
04-08-2012, 05:13 PM
If they luck out and get a top 7 lotto pick then we would get to keep it rather than it going to Utah. Also have San Antonio's 1st and New Jersey's 2nd so if they only get the 7th pick and Lamb is projected to go 4th or something - a 2 for 1 could happen. Hereeeeeee's hopin'

Well whatever team snatches him up is getting an absolute stud... I'm a die-hard Cuse fan so i should know. Dude has brass-balls and size and athleticism that makes him a lock for ASGs.

Crackadalic
04-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Its not everyday a rookie prides themselves to want to play defense everyday. I already see Tony Allen lite in him. His offense will get better though. His 3 pt release the last couple weeks is much better where before it had too much arch in it

Punk
04-08-2012, 05:28 PM
He played great today but I think his motivation was the fact he takes people who score on him personally and he's a Chicago born and raised kid. He took on the challenge of guarding Rose and was excellent.

I just see him being a Toney Allen with much better offense than James Harden. Harden isn't as explosive.

Bornknick73
04-08-2012, 05:30 PM

They said the same thing when we said Gallo and Ill WIll were very good players. We were ridiculed and made fun of. Turns out we were right, both are very good young players. Ask the Nuggets fans if they still feel they got ripped? I think most are very happy with both those guys.

Kashmir13579
04-08-2012, 05:30 PM
He played great today but I think his motivation was the fact he takes people who score on him personally and he's a Chicago born and raised kid. He took on the challenge of guarding Rose and was excellent.

I just see him being a Toney Allen with much better offense than James Harden. Harden isn't as explosive.

:no:

Harden is amazing on offense and it has nothing to do with explosiveness.

NBA_Starter
04-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Excellent defender but he chucks way too much on offense right now.

PlayDPlease
04-08-2012, 05:35 PM
gotta love when a player has a good game on national television and these type of threads pop up.

It was still kind of a reach imo but he's a solid player. To say he's on harden's level is wayyyy too premature. But the knicks can't be upset with the pick. Dude can ball.

had a few but whatever ....

PlezPlayDKnicks
04-08-2012, 05:41 PM
:no:

Harden is amazing on offense and it has nothing to do with explosiveness.

Please tell him again..

justinnum1
04-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Excellent defender but he chucks way too much on offense right now.

this

Dankster
04-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Terrific defender at just 21. I personally think he can be much better than Bowen as he's far more athletic and just has to be a bit more judicious with his shot selection and learn how to finish more strongly at the rim. Bowen was an excellent 3 point shooter, but couldn't do much else offensively.

Harden is already quite the savvy offensive player for a 3rd year pro. Kind of a poor comparison. I think Iggy is more of a pragmatic comparison to make as their games mirror one another greatly.

meloman1592
04-08-2012, 05:51 PM
I think Shump will be like Iguodala but with a better ability to create his own shot

tredigs
04-08-2012, 05:56 PM
I checked Synergy's defensive stats just for fun and his has Shumpert ranked as the 144th best overall defender - tied with Steve Nash - both behind Harden. haha.

But I put exactly zero stock in Synergy's formula for ranking defense. Howard/Lebron/Iggy don't rank in their overall top 50.

TheNumber37
04-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Not harden, but he does have all star potential and all NBA defense potential.
I think eventually he will get the starting job and settle into a 14, 5, 5 2 steal person.
Such an amazing defender and hasn't even been studying film for an entire season.
Future slam dunk champion (hope the game is the garden) and I see him improving his 3 point shooting to the 38% clip.

TheNumber37
04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I think we're looking at Joe Dumars folks.

NYtilIdie
04-08-2012, 06:27 PM
I'll take a defensive player over another offensive weapon especially for a team like the Knicks. Shump's offense will improve with time, I don't think it will be anywhere near Harden's level, but it will be solid/decent.

I'll be more happy if he becomes an Iggy type player with slightly better O, with Amare as one of our bigs we need all the defensive help we can get.

tredigs
04-08-2012, 06:32 PM
I think we're looking at Joe Dumars folks.

Minus the scoring and playmaking ability?

nycsports2
04-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Has a very high ceiling well c what happens but I do think he's got a bright future in the league reminds me a lot of iggy

Jint.
04-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Shump Da Dump Dump..!

chitownbears89
04-08-2012, 06:50 PM
I can't wait for Tues. Derrick Rose got stronger as the game went on. I fully expect him to destroy shumpert the next time around.

chitownbears89
04-08-2012, 06:54 PM

He did alright against Rose in his first game back. He had a couple of flashy plays when he stripped the ball. But also made some stupid mistakes. He couldn't have done that well, Rose still scored over 20 pts.

tredigs
04-08-2012, 06:59 PM
He did alright against Rose in his first game back. He had a couple of flashy plays when he stripped the ball. But also made some stupid mistakes. He couldn't have done that well, Rose still scored over 20 pts.

It would be difficult not to score over 20 points if you take 26 shots and get to the line 12 times. Rose was a mess - especially early - but it was to be expected in his first game back.

NYKnicks4511
04-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Bulls' "superstars" didn't earn their paychecks today. Game was over if they hit those free throws. Shumpert's menacing glare clearly induced an immense degree a fear, causing them to defecate in their crimson shorts.

effen5
04-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Even though he played a VERY rusty Rose he is a fantastic player....

Hes the player Ill be rooting for for the Knicks if I have to root for the Knicks lol....

But def a solid pick up.

KnIckFaN.2883
04-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I think he's the steal of the draft.he's had to guard the apposing team's best player most of the year.

KnIckFaN.2883
04-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Even though he played a VERY rusty Rose he is a fantastic player....

Hes the player Ill be rooting for for the Knicks if I have to root for the Knicks lol....

But def a solid pick up.

I think a VERY rusty rose and the rest of the team should able to make some free throws though.

Yankeefan213
04-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Not Harden, not even close. His defense is ridiculous though. I guarantee if you ask the guys hes guarded they would say he is suffocating.

Deemerc
04-08-2012, 07:35 PM
I see a little bit of Jordan in him. I think he might be the greatest pick in the history of the NBA soon.

CudiOnMyiPod
04-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Why stop at Harden? Let's say George Gervin.

Harden is a potential superstar while Shumpert can't put the ball in the basket on many nights.

Shumpert will be a Tony Allen type with better defense. Of course not calling Shumpert a future superstar is an insult to Knicks fans.

Kashmir13579
04-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Why stop at Harden? Let's say George Gervin.

Harden is a potential superstar while Shumpert can't put the ball in the basket on many nights.

Shumpert will be a Tony Allen type with better defense. Of course not calling Shumpert a future superstar is an insult to Knicks fans.
Happy Easter, dude!

Evolution23
04-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Jeez why is every one so butt hurt at Knicks fans. If you don't think he's any good then just say that. Why do ya'll insult us so hard?

Mr_Jones
04-08-2012, 08:06 PM
When Lin was doing his thing Shump was over shadowed and I Quietly Held my tongue and smiled, Now it's time for him to get love and hate. And i didn't say he was on Hardens level just if he can become one of those upcoming SG of the future

Lol, wtf?:facepalm:

Geek
04-08-2012, 08:09 PM
lol

naps
04-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Are you freaking serious? James Harden is the next big perimeter superstar in the making. Iman who? He had a decent game and you are already making this thread? Whatever happened to Linsanity? I feel bad for NY athletes, they get overrated overnight and it's not their fault. It's their media and some fans like you.

meloman1592
04-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Rookie seasons

Harden: 9.9 ppg 1.0 spg 1.8 apg 3.2 rpg 40% fg

Shump: 9.8 ppg 1.8 spg 2.7 apg 3.2 rpg 39% fg

And Shump as a rookie is better defensively better than Harden is NOW. I think he can be as good if not better than Harden. Not saying he will, but if you're saying he CAN'T than you're just being a hater...simple as that

topdog
04-08-2012, 08:30 PM
What I don't get is why New York always reaches when they usually have a good player available at the pick. Then, it's what a great job the Knicks did reaching to get a player of the talent level their pick was.

I'm talking Lee, Douglas, Chandler and now Shumpert. Oh, and not to mention that Knick draft picks seem to get booed every year now and then are the greatest players in the league 4 months down the line :rolleyes:

topdog
04-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Rookie seasons

Harden: 9.9 ppg 1.0 spg 1.8 apg 3.2 rpg 40% fg

Shump: 9.8 ppg 1.8 spg 2.7 apg 3.2 rpg 39% fg

And Shump as a rookie is better defensively better than Harden is NOW. I think he can be as good if not better than Harden. Not saying he will, but if you're saying he CAN'T than you're just being a hater...simple as that

How many mpg? Per 36 min. stats?

Harden is more of an offensive player and a 6th man so I really don't get why we are dragging him into the conversation just because he is the hot name right now.

Hustla23
04-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I don't think it makes much sense to put too much stock into a player's offensive efficiency numbers their rookie season. It's more important to observe their tools and gauge their upside.

Lebron James, the best player in the universe, sported a 99 ORtg his rookie season. He elevated his efficiency very soon after. But clearly, even during that rookie season, the tools were there.

Shumpert has shown the ability to create his own shot, penetrate into the paint, and be somewhat of a playmaker. His efficiency is subpar at the moment, but given his tools, I will be shocked if he retains this low level of efficiency moving forward.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I dont think its a stretch to say the guy will be an elite defender in the league. I see him getting to some all defensive teams. That said, I dont know if he will be the next James Harden lol. Maybe the defensive counterpart to him lol. What I mean is maybe Shumpert could be as good on defense as Harden is on offense. But its best to wait and see, its too early in both players careers to really compare them.

Kenny
04-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Are you freaking serious? James Harden is the next big perimeter superstar in the making. Iman who? He had a decent game and you are already making this thread? Whatever happened to Linsanity? I feel bad for NY athletes, they get overrated overnight and it's not their fault. It's their media and some fans like you.

How do you talk a guy up when he is out for the season. :facepalm:

Of course the Lin talk is going to die down.

Chi StateOfMind
04-08-2012, 09:46 PM
He played Rose excellent today. It was Rose's first gane back but Shumpert was superb on Rose today.

quade36
04-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Guys Guys.... How awesome is Steve Novak??? Isn't he the best 3 point shooter in the game? Wait!!!! How awesome is J.R. Smith???? The best 6th man in the game!!! Wait!!! Tyson Chandler should win Defensive player of the year!!!! Wait!!! Anthony should win MVP!!!! Wait!!! Jermey Lin is a top five point guard!!!! Wait!!!! Mike Woodson is the best coach in the NBA!!!! Wait!!!! Amar'e is the best power forward in the NBA!!! Honestly people this is the greatest 29-27 team in NBA History!!!!

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

LongIslandIcedZ
04-08-2012, 11:23 PM
^ Pathetic

Shumpert has a boat load of potential. Whether or not he can realize that offensively remains to be seen. But if he can me a more offensively potent Tony Allen, I would be very happy.

Chisweetness34
04-08-2012, 11:23 PM
He can play solid defense. Love his game and so young. Still, Rose just came back from missing a lot of time so people that are judging him from one game is dumb.

mjt20mik
04-08-2012, 11:25 PM
He's a pretty solid defensive player. Other than that, I don't see what everyone else is so high on. And yes I following the Knicks pretty close.

DragonJaii
04-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Guys Guys.... How awesome is Steve Novak??? Isn't he the best 3 point shooter in the game? Wait!!!! How awesome is J.R. Smith???? The best 6th man in the game!!! Wait!!! Tyson Chandler should win Defensive player of the year!!!! Wait!!! Anthony should win MVP!!!! Wait!!! Jermey Lin is a top five point guard!!!! Wait!!!! Mike Woodson is the best coach in the NBA!!!! Wait!!!! Amar'e is the best power forward in the NBA!!! Honestly people this is the greatest 29-27 team in NBA History!!!!

they are better than their record.

quade36
04-08-2012, 11:28 PM
^ Pathetic

Shumpert has a boat load of potential. Whether or not he can realize that offensively remains to be seen. But if he can me a more offensively potent Tony Allen, I would be very happy.

Your right it is pathetic that there are countless threads on how every single player on the Knicks is stellar. Whether they are or aren't isn't the point.
We had to go through Linsanity 50.0 now we have to deal with Shumpert threads. You know as a pain as other teams fans are, no fandom promotes their players like the Knicks do. Not even the Heat and they have the greatest player on the planet right now.

1-800-STFU
04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Iman Shumpert is the next Jeremy Lin

Chronz
04-08-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't think it makes much sense to put too much stock into a player's offensive efficiency numbers their rookie season. It's more important to observe their tools and gauge their upside.

Lebron James, the best player in the universe, sported a 99 ORtg his rookie season. He elevated his efficiency very soon after. But clearly, even during that rookie season, the tools were there.

Shumpert has shown the ability to create his own shot, penetrate into the paint, and be somewhat of a playmaker. His efficiency is subpar at the moment, but given his tools, I will be shocked if he retains this low level of efficiency moving forward.
You gauge that potential with the help of stats. For example Bron was 18, carried a bigger role, and those #s came in the final year before handchecking.

I do agree with the bit about not writing him off in year 1 but how many years till its official?

quade36
04-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Gerald Green had a great game today and scored 32 points off the bench. Where is his thread????

LongIslandIcedZ
04-08-2012, 11:33 PM
So you go on a message forum and whine like a little girl about it?

quade36
04-08-2012, 11:36 PM
So you go on a message forum and whine like a little girl about it?

wow you now go to name calling. Well I just realized that I interact with 12 year olds so I guess I am the idiot. Maybe in a few years we could have a more mature conversation.

mjt20mik
04-08-2012, 11:43 PM
We are basing this thread on potential. A lot of rookies in this year have potential. Where are the Isiah Thomas, Kenneth Fareed, Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard threads on how good they could be. Cause I think those players have a ton of potential too.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-08-2012, 11:44 PM
wow you now go to name calling. Well I just realized that I interact with 12 year olds so I guess I am the idiot. Maybe in a few years we could have a more mature conversation.

Is this maturity??

FraziersKnicks
04-08-2012, 11:50 PM

I know you're trying to mock us Knicks fan, but Novak probably is the best 3 point shooter in the league :shrug:

mjt20mik
04-08-2012, 11:50 PM
I know you're trying to mock us Knicks fan, but Novak probably is the best 3 point shooter in the league :shrug:

Best Stoke and Form right now.

PlayDPlease
04-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Gerald Green had a great game today and scored 32 points off the bench. Where is his thread????

He is 26 already plus their are 5 Nets fans on this site and like 500 Knicks fans.

Maybe if you loser fan bases would represent a little harder there would not be so many Knick threads.

80% of the Viewers on the NBA Forum are Knicks, what do you expect?

Chriss sake, I am surprised more threads are not Knicks related given the disproportionate representation.

ManningToTyree
04-09-2012, 12:04 AM
He needs to work on his jumper a lot. Everything else is there. Defense is unreal for a rookie. I'll leave it at that. Won't waste my time reading the drivel in this thread, from homers and haters alike.

PlayDPlease
04-09-2012, 12:07 AM
He needs to work on his jumper a lot. Everything else is there. Defense is unreal for a rookie. I'll leave it at that. Won't waste my time reading the drivel in this thread, homers and haters alike.

Needs to work on his first step and getting proper angles. Could use a class from Lin.

J, talk to Novak for tips.

Gideon
04-09-2012, 12:07 AM
I never understand why Knicks fans start threads in the NBA Forum just to get bashed. It's a horrible idea and i ask my fellow Knicks fans to please stop. I hated the Shumpert pick because I watched his offensive inefficiencies for years at Georgia Tech and didn't believe his D would translate as quickly as it has. Also, with D'Antoni as our coach at the time I didn't see Shumpert getting minutes because of those offensive inefficiencies and he is not a PG which was discussed as his possible position upon being drafted. I have been pleasantly surprised to see how well Shumpert is coming along and while he can be and might already be an elite wing defender in the league, he has a long way to go before he becomes a star or whatever I keep hearing Knicks fans say he will be. Knicks fans for the most part over hype their young talent and by placing him in the same conversation as James Harden then this is no exception.

RaffyBoy
04-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Solid pick up at 16. He needs to improved his offense, but defensively, he reads players move perfectly.

NYsFinest
04-09-2012, 12:16 AM

11-3 (during one of their tougher stretches of the season) under Mike Woodson. They have had the best defense in the NBA during that 14 game span and with 8 of their wins were by 15 points or more. All that while playing most of that stretch without their starting PG and All-Star PF.... just saying :shrug:

sharqstealth
04-09-2012, 12:18 AM
He was good until his next crappy game.

as long as he's not asked to do to much(which he is) he will be fine

If guarding guarding Rose isn't asking too much for a rook then I don't think your credible enough to talk about basketball...

PlezPlayDKnicks
04-09-2012, 12:20 AM
I told psd shump was the next Jordan and the Kobe/dwade/DRose stopper. Now y'all can stop hating on him

sharqstealth
04-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Your right it is pathetic that there are countless threads on how every single player on the Knicks is stellar. Whether they are or aren't isn't the point.
We had to go through Linsanity 50.0 now we have to deal with Shumpert threads. You know as a pain as other teams fans are, no fandom promotes their players like the Knicks do. Not even the Heat and they have the greatest player on the planet right now.

Envy of the Knicks fanbase? What can we do if there are a 100x more fans liking the Knicks than liking whatever team your rooting for...

LGhost
04-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Shumpert has size and good defensive foot work... I'd gladly accept him on the Bulls while he is young, as he gets more respect though through the years, I can see him becoming a cancer especially if he ever ends up on a bad team, do not like his personality but I think a firm & good coach could grip him before it is too late

NYsFinest
04-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Shumpert has size and good defensive foot work... I'd gladly accept him on the Bulls while he is young, as he gets more respect though through the years, I can see him becoming a cancer especially if he ever ends up on a bad team, do not like his personality but I think a firm & good coach could grip him before it is too late

His personality is one of my favorite things about him.... tough as nails, cocky and very competitve... all very important qualities that a player needs to be a star. He probably wont ever be a star, but I love his swagger.

Knicks21
04-09-2012, 12:39 AM

If he's going to get a T every now and again for taunting than so be it, I want him on my team because of what he brings defensively.

Although i do hate it when he was talking in 3rd person during a part of the knicks camp.

GiantsSwaGG
04-09-2012, 12:40 AM
He's an elite defender, but his offense is limited. He needs to work on his shot

mjt20mik
04-09-2012, 12:46 AM
I'd still take Kawhi Leonard over him.

sunsfan88
04-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Shumpert is gonna be like Raja Bell.

GIANTKNICK
04-09-2012, 12:47 AM

What da Hell are you talking about. He's a good kid, hard worker and humble. Hope that's just knick hate and no under line thought.

itsripcity32
04-09-2012, 12:53 AM
So yea I been wanting to make this thread for a while and here's my chance. So Is Shumpert Still a Bad pick or the Biggest reach in last years draft ? And does he have potential to be in the same conversation as a James Harden ?

:laugh:
:laugh::laugh:

LGhost
04-09-2012, 01:12 AM
If he's going to get a T every now and again for taunting than so be it, I want him on my team because of what he brings defensively.

Although i do hate it when he was talking in 3rd person during a part of the knicks camp.

I agree, it is nice to have him on your\my team, he can provide a little intimidation but I doubt he would be as cocky if he wasn't on a good team especially in his rookie year...

Taunting Rip Hamilton? A veteran player who has a ring? That is absolutely classless... I don't like players who are cocky just because of their name, dude has to prove something first. He's respected since he has players around the league that respect his teammates that are part of a winning team.

Put him on the Hornets and dude wouldn't be getting no respect and given his cocky personality, that would drive him, creating a cancer...

LGhost
04-09-2012, 01:15 AM
What da Hell are you talking about. He's a good kid, hard worker and humble. Hope that's just knick hate and no under line thought.

I don't hate any team in the NBA, I like basketball in general but I support the Bulls... Therefore my perception is not flawed

PlezPlayDKnicks
04-09-2012, 07:46 AM

Thats what I was doing when we played the pistons. Couldn't find u or gram anywhere

Weezy
04-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Harden and shump have two completely different games so no. Shump reminds me a lot of Latrell Sprewell .....or Larry Hughes.

benzni
04-09-2012, 08:37 AM
and Gerald Green is the next elite scorer. Can't wait to make my thread

UKblazers
04-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Like him a lot, but I doubt he can make the gigantic leap it would take for him to be a good offensive player so may not be a big minute starter. (Even in college I remember scouts said it was hard to evaluate Derrick Favors because of his poor pg play,shump was the georgia tech pg)

As others have said his defense is good enough that he could be a Ronnie brewer/Tony Allen type elite defender you bring off the bench when facing the top wing players.

He115ing
04-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Terrible offensive player who sports one of the lower PER's in the league at 10.7 and has alarming chucking tendencies that date back to his college days and manifest themselves in his 39% FG%. But, he's athletic and a great on-ball defender.

I'm not sure that he's a net+ player yet, but it's great for NY that he has energy on both ends.

Also, spare the defensive-homer talk. The majority of people watching the league were pretty spot on and fair with their projections of Shumpert. The backlash was basically just here on PSD and largely due to the tendency we see of NY players being put on blast here in the NBA forum.

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? Terrible offensive player? He is one of the top rookies in scoring and his offense is steadily improving. He has been scoring in double digits for the past 4 games or more.

Alarming chucking?? He had this once during the Grizzlies I believe. You know who is a chucker? JR Smith.

Watch some Knicks basketball before posting such ignorant and misinformed comments.

uprightciti
04-09-2012, 09:09 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/10f6m2f.gif

i love iman last year was a way better draft class than we all realized

iman, brooks, cole, irving, k thompson, knight, walker, i thomas, etc....stacked draft

ChitownSports16
04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Bulls fans found out today. The rest of the league better take notice.

I didnt find out anything... The dude is good at stripping the ball but dude is not all that. Half of those shots missed by Rose he normally makes in rhythm. And you heard it from me "Rose will have a biggg game come Tuesday"! None the less Iman had a good avg game.

xxplayerxx23
04-09-2012, 10:46 AM
I didnt find out anything... The dude is good at stripping the ball but dude is not all that. Half of those shots missed by Rose he normally makes in rhythm. And you heard it from me "Rose will have a biggg game come Tuesday"! None the less Iman had a good avg game.

Funny cuz Rose wasnt getting past him at all, the screen was how he got past him He shot over the top of him but still he played himt ough. I wanna see him do it tuseday, He had a great all around game, wish he would hit the open 3 more.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Shumpert is a very strong on ball defender, I think Rose would be the first to admit that. But lets not get carried away, they play Chicago Tuesday. Rose is completely capable of torching Shump, despite how good Shumpert is.

Hustla23
04-09-2012, 11:08 AM
You gauge that potential with the help of stats. For example Bron was 18, carried a bigger role, and those #s came in the final year before handchecking.

I do agree with the bit about not writing him off in year 1 but how many years till its official?
How long is too long? I guess it depends on your expectations. If a player doesn't improve in the slightest from year to year, then it's not reasonable to assume that he'll drastically improve all of a sudden. But the point is, to write off a rookie as a terrible offensive player with limited potential simply based off of efficiency statistics is extremely short sighted.

Also again, I look to observe whether the traits necessary for success are there and stress that more than the actual production itself. Look at Marshon Brooks for example. He was tearing it up for a long stretch and now he's regressed substantially. I think the fact that he has shown the ability to be a productive scorer weighs more heavily than the sum total of his season thus far. And again, if he doesn't show improvement in the following season, then you can temper your expectations even further.

First year stats, especially when dealing with efficiency, appear to be very anomalous in relation to the whole of a player's career.

nycericanguy
04-09-2012, 11:30 AM
How long is too long? I guess it depends on your expectations. If a player doesn't improve in the slightest from year to year, then it's not reasonable to assume that he'll drastically improve all of a sudden. But the point is, to write off a rookie as a terrible offensive player with limited potential simply based off of efficiency statistics is extremely short sighted.

Also again, I look to observe whether the traits necessary for success are there and stress that more than the actual production itself. Look at Marshon Brooks for example. He was tearing it up for a long stretch and now he's regressed substantially. I think the fact that he has shown the ability to be a productive scorer weighs more heavily than the sum total of his season thus far. And again, if he doesn't show improvement in the following season, then you can temper your expectations even further.

First year stats, especially when dealing with efficiency, appear to be very anomalous in relation to the whole of a player's career.

This I agree with completely. When looking at a rookie efficiency is not something you really want to stress. Especially guards. Because really, how many rookie guards come in and are immediately efficient offensive players? Very few.

Shump has alot of good tools, defensively he's already one of the better on ball defenders in the NBA, and he averages almost 2 steals per game.

Offensively though he needs to use his athleticism more and attack the basket more, especially since his outside shot is really bad right now. He doesn't get to the FT hardly at all. I expect a big jump from his next year though, his jumper has gotten better as the season has progressed, that needs to keep improving.

BKLYNpigeon
04-09-2012, 11:33 AM
regarding Sundays performance.

Bubba Watson > Iman Shumpert

Neosheed
04-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Lmao Yall giving this man A LOT of credit for sumone who went against a super rusty d-rose let's see can you say the same on tues? Or even in the playoffs when the bull have gotten their two biggest pieces on offense back and actual intergrade them both in the offense.we all knew that they were going to b a lil rusty just wait and see when they play again its gona b a totally diffrent game

JayW_1023
04-09-2012, 11:58 AM
I like him. He plays very composed, picks his spots and is extremely feisty, often pressing his man full court. He can guard all three perimeter positions. He's a player.

sammid21
04-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Shump will be a great defender, hope he works on this jumper, but for now i think Avery Bradley is a better defender or maybe they are both at the same level. Kinda like a young tony allen. But Shump can have a more offensive upside i think

PlezPlayDKnicks
04-09-2012, 12:04 PM
lmao yall giving this man a lot of credit for sumone who went against a super rusty d-rose let's see can you say the same on tues? Or even in the playoffs when the bull have gotten their two biggest pieces on offense back and actual intergrade them both in the offense.we all knew that they were going to b a lil rusty just wait and see when they play again its gona b a totally diffrent game

he didnt look rusty second half when he was hitting shots all over the place. Give the dude some credit. Guy has a lot of potential. Lets see what happens

PlezPlayDKnicks
04-09-2012, 12:05 PM
shump will be a great defender, hope he works on this jumper, but for now i think avery bradley is a better defender or maybe they are both at the same level. Kinda like a young tony allen. But shump can have a more offensive upside i think

i agree. Both guys are intense on defense.

Robbw241
04-09-2012, 12:05 PM
I see he's back to being the GOAT again.

BklynKnicks3
04-09-2012, 12:25 PM
21 shump street

TheWhiteMamba
04-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Big fan of Shumpert. He can be be a little cocky at times but i like that. He is a great defender and potential to be outstanding. His offense will come (not that it's bad right now) but he just needs to control his shot selection. I can only imagine how amazing he'd be next to Rose and in Thibs' system :drool:

NYsFinest
04-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Big fan of Shumpert. He can be be a little cocky at times but i like that. He is a great defender and potential to be outstanding. His offense will come (not that it's bad right now) but he just needs to control his shot selection. I can only imagine how amazing he'd be next to Rose and in Thibs' system :drool:

Would actually be perfect compliment to rose, that backcourt would be scary.

Stinkyoutsider
04-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Man, Iman did some work on Rose yesterday. With that being said, I think he might turn out as a defensive specialist, kind of like Ron Artest. His defensive energy is great and he fits good on a team in New York, where hard work will earn you a lot of fans and respect.

I think he can be a great player if he improves his shot selection. If he improves his decision making, he might turn out to be a very good point forward, similar to Iggy. Iman's already is an excellent defender and athletic...

mkdo
04-09-2012, 01:17 PM

he said that he will be on the shumpert bandwagon too. he didnt say that their games are comparable, he's just saying that he loves the way the two players play, which is not to say that they are comparable. its just that they are doing the right things and they both have bright futures ahead of them

Missing56&33
04-09-2012, 01:55 PM
I love Shumpert's intensity and passion for the game. He's an emotional player but he has to get his emotions under control. He's a defensive minded player that has offensive ability but as a SG, he's being asked to run the team at PG. A lot of responsibility for a rookie defensive player.

I think the refs need to lay the **** off with the techs after a dunk though. You take away a man's emotion and passion .........what is he suppose to do???.....throw it down and just run back down the floor? Not easy to do in a tough physical game, when you have to play Derrick Rose and Ray Allen.

teddygreen17
04-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Shump is a rookie...to compare him to anyone is ridiculous. I believe he will end up being a poor man's dwayne wade. He has the physical gifts, the tenacity, and the will to win. He just needs to improve from year to year.

Also, do not get the same shooting coach as Landry Fields

Missing56&33
04-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Lmao Yall giving this man A LOT of credit for sumone who went against a super rusty d-rose let's see can you say the same on tues? Or even in the playoffs when the bull have gotten their two biggest pieces on offense back and actual intergrade them both in the offense.we all knew that they were going to b a lil rusty just wait and see when they play again its gona b a totally diffrent game

Derrick Rose on the court anytime is dangerous for the opposition.

ChitownSports16
04-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Derrick Rose on the court anytime is dangerous for the opposition.

that wasnt said before the game....

NYtilIdie
04-09-2012, 04:59 PM
I love Shumpert's intensity and passion for the game. He's an emotional player but he has to get his emotions under control. He's a defensive minded player that has offensive ability but as a SG, he's being asked to run the team at PG. A lot of responsibility for a rookie defensive player.

I think the refs need to lay the **** off with the techs after a dunk though. You take away a man's emotion and passion .........what is he suppose to do???.....throw it down and just run back down the floor? Not easy to do in a tough physical game, when you have to play Derrick Rose and Ray Allen.

That honestly pisses me off, Griffin does that s**t everytime he dunks and doesn't get a tech, all Shump did was scream and he got a ***king tech. I don't even care anymore at this point, he can dunk on someone then point and laugh at them Shawn Kemp style even if it means he'll get a tech, I like players who show emotion.

Chronz
04-09-2012, 05:01 PM
he said that he will be on the shumpert bandwagon too. he didnt say that their games are comparable, he's just saying that he loves the way the two players play, which is not to say that they are comparable. its just that they are doing the right things and they both have bright futures ahead of them

Thats what he said, thats why he added the "as far as JVG's love gos" bit

nycsports2
04-09-2012, 05:20 PM
21 shump street

Evolution23
04-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I see he's back to being the GOAT again.

knicks fans said he can ball, that's all.

GiantsSwaGG
04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
21 Shump street b****!

blastmasta26
04-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Shump is my dude. But we really need to be more careful in how we word OPs in Knick threads. Because people will find something and magnify it.

TheNumber37
04-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Minus the scoring and playmaking ability?

He's an unselfish and willing passer and once his shot becomes more consistent and he takes on a larger role, I can see him dropping 18-22 alongside Melo.
I don't think he can be a good play maker, but he wont have the ball in his hands enough to get the high assists mark, the ability is still there though.

Chronz
04-09-2012, 06:19 PM
He can ball? Cmon now hes not even a decent player yet, being a good 1 on 1 defender doesnt make a career. Quinton Ross was a great on ball defender and pretty clutch evidently, but hes not a decent rotation guy

Punk
04-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Here is a prime example of why people make themselves look like MORONS and blame it on Knick fans to save face:

Jalen Rose on ESPN's SportsNation JUST said "Iman Shumpert will be a complete player and star for the Knicks in the next 3 years. His defense is elite already and his offense will continue to grow, his athleticism rivals Dwayne Wade"

No Knick fan said that. HE did. An NBA analyst and former NBA player. These are what people said about him which is what some Knick fans echoed because of his incredible work ethic in the lockout.

People thought we were a "joke" for hyping him but the fact is it's hard to ignore how good he is as a rookie and the urgency he's played with offensively with Jeremy out.

Chronz
04-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Here is a prime example of why people make themselves look like MORONS and blame it on Knick fans to save face:

Jalen Rose on ESPN's SportsNation JUST said "Iman Shumpert will be a complete player and star for the Knicks in the next 3 years. His defense is elite already and his offense will continue to grow, his athleticism rivals Dwayne Wade"

No Knick fan said that. HE did. An NBA analyst and former NBA player. These are what people said about him which is what some Knick fans echoed because of his incredible work ethic in the lockout.

People thought we were a "joke" for hyping him but the fact is it's hard to ignore how good he is as a rookie and the urgency he's played with offensively with Jeremy out.
I dont blame Knick fans for falling for the hype, I blame it in the media for hyping up NY. Im pretty sure thats always been the argument.

Shumpert has been good on 1 end, not elite in my book but even if we disagree on that, there is no question he has sucked offensively .

Weezy
04-09-2012, 07:57 PM
that wasnt said before the game....

Oh please... we dont have to say it... We KNOW. Any fan that doesnt is just ignorant. Even Mike Woodson said that he is so difficult to guard 1 on 1 and that he even believes he is the best PG in the league.

Sactown
04-09-2012, 08:13 PM
What if his offense doesn't continue to grow and he remains a chucker?

Evolution23
04-09-2012, 08:31 PM
He can ball? Cmon now hes not even a decent player yet, being a good 1 on 1 defender doesnt make a career. Quinton Ross was a great on ball defender and pretty clutch evidently, but hes not a decent rotation guy

:speechless: Being a good 1 on 1 defender doesn't make a career? Bruce Bowen and Tony Allen made their careers by playing excellent defense. Neither one were known for their offense. Bruce was known for his corner 3 but aside from that he had no other offensive weapons. I can say the same about Shane Battier.

Evolution23
04-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I dont blame Knick fans for falling for the hype, I blame it in the media for hyping up NY. Im pretty sure thats always been the argument.

Shumpert has been good on 1 end, not elite in my book but even if we disagree on that, there is no question he has sucked offensively .

He's a Rookie. I hope you don't expect him to be Jordan. He's eFG is 44% and he is averaging 10 ppg. He's a lock down defender and if you want to call his offensive abilities questionable, I'll take it. Offense is something he can improve on in the off season but defensive intensity for a full 48 minutes is something you don't teach.

dtmagnet
04-09-2012, 08:51 PM
No.

Rndy
04-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Jimmy Butler locked down Melo twice anyone else think he can be the Greatest Defender of all time? Knicks fans are unreal lol act like you have won a game before guys.

GiantsSwaGG
04-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Jimmy Butler locked down Melo twice anyone else think he can be the Greatest Defender of all time? Knicks fans are unreal lol act like you have won a game before guys.

I never knew holding someone to 43 points was locking him down

jimm120
04-09-2012, 08:59 PM

IF you're refering to yesterday's game and the last shot...

It was a moving screen on Noah. Noah went out, moved, bumped Shumpert and THEN there was the incidental contact.

The refs missed two calls:

The First, a moving screen on Noah (would have given the Knicks the ball);
The Second, contact from Shump to Rose (would have given Chicago Free throws to take the lead possibly)

In the end, it just seems the refs weren't gonna call any fouls. They let the Moving screen go. Then they let the shumpert contact on rose go (possibly because they had already let the moving screen go also). its like the last drive for the Knicks. Melo rushed in and shot it, but got fouled. Got the rebound and got fouled. Luckily, chandler kept the ball alive 2 times after that and that allowed Melo to get that 3 pointer.

Kuya_Clive
04-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Everyone, we should wait until the playoffs before we kill each other

Chronz
04-09-2012, 09:10 PM

:speechless: Being a good 1 on 1 defender doesn't make a career? Bruce Bowen and Tony Allen made their careers by playing excellent defense. Neither one were known for their offense. Bruce was known for his corner 3 but aside from that he had no other offensive weapons. I can say the same about Shane Battier.
You severely underrate their team defense, and offensive intangibles (in Battiers case), Shump isn't on their level in either end.

Rndy
04-09-2012, 09:11 PM
What are you two talking about? I was referring to the games where JIMMY BUTLER guarded Melo the two games before yesterdays game. Where he locked Melo down. Did Jimmy Butlers 22 seconds of play last night make you think I was referring to him?

I do think Iman is a good defender though he plays a lot because the Knicks don't have back court depth. If Jimmy Butler was on the Knicks I'm sure you guys would be saying the same thing about him. I'll just never understand how Knicks fans can constantly act after a win it's really embarrassing every game they win there is a thread about a player.

ChitownSports16
04-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Oh please... we dont have to say it... We KNOW. Any fan that doesnt is just ignorant. Even Mike Woodson said that he is so difficult to guard 1 on 1 and that he even believes he is the best PG in the league.

Plz read your guys forum (the 1st 10 pages) then come back...

beasted86
04-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Shumpert is the exact player he was scouted to be coming out of college.

A very athletic combo guard stuck between positions with elite defense, and poor shot selection. Nothing should be new to anybody here.

He will be a quality role player, but that's probably it.

GiantsSwaGG
04-09-2012, 11:44 PM
You severely underrate their team defense, and offensive intangibles (in Battiers case), Shump isn't on their level in either end.

Shump is better than Tony Allen offensively....you severely underrate his offense!

justinnum1
04-09-2012, 11:54 PM

And if butler was a knick he would be considered a goat in the making

Shumpert is the exact player he was scouted to be coming out of college.

A very athletic combo guard stuck between positions with elite defense, and poor shot selection. Nothing should be new to anybody here.

He will be a quality role player, but that's probably it.

Exactly this.

CudiOnMyiPod
04-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Shump is better than Tony Allen offensively....you severely underrate his offense!

Tony Allen: 10.5 ppg on 48% FG
Iman Shumpert: 9.8 ppg on 39% FG

justinnum1
04-09-2012, 11:59 PM

:burn:

GiantsSwaGG
04-10-2012, 12:17 AM

Tony Allen = Veteran/starter
Iman Shumpert = Rookie with room to improve/bench

Nice try though

Rndy
04-10-2012, 12:47 AM
So what the **** does that have to do with anything? You clearly said he was better and Justin showed you he wasn't. You have 0 argument here stop being a homer it's embarrassing.

Jimmy Butler is better offensively then Melo he's just a rookie though I swear give him time I've seen things.

Bubba313
04-10-2012, 01:02 AM
My favorite part about this thread is all the Heat and Bulls fans vehemently denying that this kid can be good... that's when you know he's doing something right

And just cause everyone likes to play with numbers around here: Since Lin went down, Shump's been working with Allan Houston on his shot and is above 40% from 3 in that time period.

Also, your talking about him reaching his entire potential in one shortened lockout season. This kid hasn't even hit a rookie wall and was asked to play major minutes. His potential is through the roof and I'd be extremely surprised if he bottomed out as a Bowen/Battier type role role player.

Cub_StuckinSTL
04-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Its too bad that this kid had to be drafted by NY. A Chicago boy who I know some guys who played with him but the sad part is that NY fans will over rate him just like everything else they have. :sigh:

Bubba313
04-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Its too bad that this kid had to be drafted by NY. A Chicago boy who I know some guys who played with him but the sad part is that NY fans will over rate him just like everything else they have. :sigh:

Just like we overrated Gallo and Chandler?

Oh, but now their franchise players. Players we shouldn't of traded Melo for right?

But I guess we just overrate our players. It can't be that we actually watch every game and we see glimpses, that other fans don't get to see on a nightly basis. That can't be it.

NYKnicks4511
04-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Shumpert is not going to be a star, but I do believe that he has the ability to become THE premier wing defender in the NBA. The way he played Rose really opened my eyes to just how good this kid is defensively. Naturally, one can't overlook the fact that Rose was rusty in his first half back off the DL - but overall I think Shumpert played him as well as anyone in the league could have defended him.

If Iman can be a 15 pt - 7 reb- 4assist guy as a starter or sixth man in a couple of years, I think that's fantastic for the Knicks. As players get to recognizing their roles a little better (ahem Amar'e) and start scoring more, I think we should be in good shape and won't need Shumpert to be some spectacular player (which he is not).

Rndy
04-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Shump is just another great defender in the league. If he played any where else you wouldn't hear about him. But because he plays for NY and their fans overrate every single player on their roster. You guys make it easy to gang up on because it's ridiculous the **** you say.

He's a good defender but like I've said when the Bulls hold a team to 80 do we make threads saying Ronnie Brewer could lock down a transformer if he needed to?

NYJ - NYY
04-10-2012, 09:24 AM
is ronnie brewer rookie? i think not

justinnum1
04-10-2012, 09:28 AM
if shump can force rose into another poor shooting performance with a bunch of turnovers again, ill be impressed

NYKnicks4511
04-10-2012, 09:31 AM
He's a good defender but like I've said when the Bulls hold a team to 80 do we make threads saying Ronnie Brewer could lock down a transformer if he needed to?

No, because Ronnie Brewer is a bona fide scrub, and has been for 4 years.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-10-2012, 09:41 AM
if shump can force rose into another poor shooting performance with a bunch of turnovers again, ill be impressed

As would I.

That would be awesome.

GiantsSwaGG
04-10-2012, 09:47 AM
It's funny how Bulls fans are so sensitive. And yes Ronnie Brewer is a scrub. We're not saying Iman is great now, we're talking about his potential.

nycsports2
04-10-2012, 09:48 AM

well rose is a choke artist eat it!! lol reg season mvp:D

sharqstealth
04-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Jimmy Butler is better offensively then Melo he's just a rookie though I swear give him time I've seen things.

WTheF are you talking about???? Seriously???? I think you should just stop your man crush on Jimmy Butler!

ramsizzle
04-10-2012, 10:26 AM
No, because Ronnie Brewer is a bona fide scrub, and has been for 4 years.

you all praise this rook for defense yet call ronnie a scrub. Did any of you idiots see the job he did on DWAYNE WADE in the playoffs? Even Heat fans can attest to that. Knick fans stay saying some of the most outlandish statements regarding their players. :facepalm: if in four years Shumpert is as good as brew you guys should be pretty happy.

ewing
04-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Shump is already an elite on ball defender. He plays every hard and with confidence. I dont think he has the offensive game to warrent real starters mins on a lot of teams yet. He does have offensive tools though. If he can improve on O to where he is legit starting option across the league he could develope into a 1 or 2 time all star

Sportfan
04-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Avery Bradley>Shumpert

Shump's defensive PPP is .82.....good for 145th in the league. bradley is top 20

avrpatsfan
04-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Nice try though
2011 MPG:
Iman Shumpert= 28.7 MPG
Tony Allen=26.8 MPG

Doesn't matter Shumpert isn't a starter, he gets more minutes.

Also,
Tony Allen rookie year stats:
16.4 MPG
6.4 PPG
2.9 RPG
1.8 APG
5.0 FGA
47.5% FG
.387 3P%

Iman Shumpert rookie year stats:
28.7 MPG
9.8 PPG
3.2 RPG
2.7 APG
9.4 FGA
39.5% FG
.307 3P%

So Tony Allen was far more efficient in his rookie year and put up comparable stats in around 12 less minutes per game. And shot 4.4 FGA less per game.

Furymaker
04-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Man , Shumpert can develop in all star type player . Improve his shooting and basketball IQ , he could be 15/5/5 guy easily . Hope he and D-Rose spend some time together working in off-season , both can benefit from such training .

reminder - don't bash Rose now...

save the knicks
Why so second city Chicago fans?

ewing
2011 MPG:
Iman Shumpert= 28.7 MPG
Tony Allen=26.8 MPG

Also,
16.4 MPG
6.4 PPG
2.9 RPG
1.8 APG
5.0 FGA
47.5% FG
.387 3P%

28.7 MPG
9.8 PPG
3.2 RPG
2.7 APG
9.4 FGA
39.5% FG
.307 3P%

So Tony Allen was far more efficient in his rookie year and put up comparable stats in around 12 less minutes per game. And shot 4.4 FGA less per game.

Tony is the best on ball defender in the league. People comparing Shump to him is praise. I do think Shump has more offensive upside (better finisher and hopefully can develope a better shot). He hasnt reach it yet but i as a knivk fan i hope he does.

Weezy
04-10-2012, 10:47 AM
2011 MPG:
Iman Shumpert= 28.7 MPG
Tony Allen=26.8 MPG

Also,
16.4 MPG
6.4 PPG
2.9 RPG
1.8 APG
5.0 FGAoop
47.5% FG
.387 3P%

28.7 MPG
9.8 PPG
3.2 RPG
2.7 APG
9.4 FGA
39.5% FG
.307 3P%

I won't disagree with this... I just said Spree as a comparison cuz Iman is very athletic. Who knows? We will see what happens....

justinnum1
04-10-2012, 10:47 AM
you all praise this rook for defense yet call ronnie a scrub. Did any of you idiots see the job he did on DWAYNE WADE in the playoffs? Even Heat fans can attest to that. Knick fans stay saying some of the most outlandish statements regarding their players. :facepalm: if in four years Shumpert is as good as brew you guys should be pretty happy.

Not going to give bogans any credit? they split minutes...

Chronz
04-10-2012, 10:51 AM
shump is better than tony allen offensively....you severely underrate his offense!

tony allen = veteran/starter
iman shumpert = rookie with room to improve/bench

nice try though

wtf?

Pakman
04-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Shumpert is nothing special. Just another average player who has a good game here and there. Close thread you homer

Algmuskrats
04-10-2012, 10:55 AM
He isn't even close to Harden offensively right now.

Chronz
04-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Tony is the best on ball defender in the league. People comparing Shump to him is praise. I do think Shump has more offensive upside (better finisher and hopefully can develope a better shot). He hasnt reach it yet but i as a knivk fan i hope he does.
What makes you think hes a better finisher?

I won't disagree with this... I just said Spree as a comparison cuz Iman is very athletic. Who knows? We will see what happens....
You made a comparison because a player is athletic?

save the knicks
04-10-2012, 11:56 AM
BREAKING NEWS

The Bulls former ROY and reigning MVP Derrick Rose is so scared of fellow Chicagoan Iman Shumpert's tenacious d that he has opted to sit out tonight's game against the Knicks.

More details as they are made available at www.21shumpstreet.com

NYKnicks4511
04-10-2012, 12:02 PM

Ronnie sucks man, it's okay to admit it. He's a good rotational player for the Bulls because of what he's worth in their defensive scheme - a big body that plays above average defense. No jump shot, no range, no isolation moves. Minimal passing ability, average rebounding for his size. He's athletic though, whoop dee-dee. Ah... second city syndrome, you mad bro?

ramsizzle
04-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Ronnie sucks man, it's okay to admit it. He's a good rotational player for the Bulls because of what he's worth in their defensive scheme - a big body that plays above average defense. No jump shot, no range, no isolation moves. Minimal passing ability, average rebounding for his size. He's athletic though, whoop dee-dee. Ah... second city syndrome, you mad bro?

mad at what? a fan of a .500 ballclub gassing up a rotational player....so mad :mad: !! C'mon man the bulls are sitting pretty here. The only thing the city of chicago comes second to in the nba is well um no one. Were the number one seed :D

TeamSeattle
04-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Shump is just another great defender in the league. If he played any where else you wouldn't hear about him. But because he plays for NY and their fans overrate every single player on their roster. You guys make it easy to gang up on because it's ridiculous the **** you say.

Every post you make is just to provoke knicks fans...grow up buddy. Your a fan of an elite team...you feel better?

He115ing
04-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Shumpert is nothing special. Just another average player who has a good game here and there. Close thread you homer

Ha! So the NBA analysts are talking about how special Shumps is and praise his tremendous on ball defense while you grace us by saying that he is nothing special. The use of the brain is highly recommended before posting such ignorant comments.

LGhost
04-10-2012, 12:20 PM

lol... I just remembered and I'm pretty sure his other tech (ABC games) came from staring down Ray Allen after a dunk... Ray Allen & Richard Hamilton, he sure knows how to pick em don't he... I'd be mad if the refs didn't blow the whistle for them, it's tasteless on his part...

CudiOnMyiPod
04-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Nice try though

Who cares if he's a starter/vet and Shump is a rookie.

Kyrie Irving is a rookie and Brian Cardinal is a vet. Irving averages 17 more ppg than him...

You said Shump is a better offensive player (which I don't know why, even you said it yourself, he is just a rookie) and I put up stats that say otherwise.

TeamSeattle
04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
lol... I just remembered and I'm pretty sure his other tech (ABC games) came from staring down Ray Allen after a dunk... Ray Allen & Richard Hamilton, he sure knows how to pick em don't he... I'd be mad if the refs didn't blow the whistle for them, it's tasteless on his part...

but Blake Griffin doin his gangster walk for 3mins after a big dunk is fine right? This is where the nba is bias in that regard.

DoMeFavors
04-10-2012, 12:27 PM
The guy is a defender so any type of defender that plays any defense at all in a Knick fans mind is a defensive player of the year. This kid is a bum, who shots a terrible fg% and is on a bottom playoff team. Kid is a nobody.

nycsports2
04-10-2012, 12:36 PM
The guy is a defender so any type of defender that plays any defense at all in a Knick fans mind is a defensive player of the year. This kid is a bum, who shots a terrible fg% and is on a bottom playoff team. Kid is a nobody.

lol..

He115ing
04-10-2012, 12:41 PM

normally I would be pissed at this, but coming from a Nets fan, this is hilarious.

Bornknick73
04-10-2012, 01:27 PM

LOL, that must mean hes a good player. He said the same thing when they got burned on Melo. Melos a bum too huh?

Just be glad you got Favors and all those first round picks....oh wait....:clap:

Well at least be happy season tickets in Brooklyn wil be dirt cheap. Ill probably spend the 50 bucks on 2 to watch Marshon.

Me and the other 4 guys in the arena.

beasted86
04-10-2012, 01:34 PM

If anything else at least your posts are entertaining. :cheers:

boolish
04-10-2012, 01:45 PM

a nj nets fan would fo sho recognize a bum if he saw one. :facepalm:

lvlheaded
04-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Poster of the year! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

sintaks12
04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
LOL, that must mean hes a good player. He said the same thing when they got burned on Melo. Melos a bum too huh?

Just be glad you got Favors and all those first round picks....oh wait....:clap:

Well at least be happy season tickets in Brooklyn wil be dirt cheap. Ill probably spend the 50 bucks on 2 to watch Marshon.

Me and the other 4 guys in the arena.

Ouch, lol.

ewing
04-10-2012, 01:59 PM
What makes you think hes a better finisher?

You made a comparison because a player is athletic?

Iman finishes at the rim. He doesn't get there a ton but when he does he finishes. Form what ive seen of allen he can get to the rim some but has trouble converting.

Sportfan
04-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Ha! So the NBA analysts are talking about how special Shumps is and praise his tremendous on ball defense while you grace us by saying that he is nothing special. The use of the brain is highly recommended before posting such ignorant comments.
avery bradley does the same thing, but better

beasted86
04-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Iman finishes at the rim. He doesn't get there a ton but when he does he finishes. Form what ive seen of allen he can get to the rim some but has trouble converting.

Via hoopdata.com

At rim:
Tony Allen 59.6% 4.3 ATT/G
Iman Shumpert 63.4% 2.5 ATT/G

3-9 feet:
Tony Allen 33.9% 1.2 ATT/G
Iman Shumpert 20.5% 0.9 ATT/G

The stats don't really support what you said. Allen is actually having a down year as previous seasons he has finished at the rim 65.7%, 65.8%, and 62.0% over the last 3 years. Allen was very athletic coming out of college before he wrecked his knee in 2007.

alexander_37
04-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Another ****ing thread about this guy, Knicks forum...

The NBA forum should be re-named the Knicks/kobe forum...

Rndy
04-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Has Jimmy Butler made the HOF yet? He locked down Melo in two different games.

Knicks fans deserve to be made fun of because they are the definition of Bush League fans. Iman did a good job on Rose. Even if he hadn't played in awhile. But is it necessary to make a thread on a player after every game you guys win? Act like you've been there before guys.

goNYgoNYgo
04-10-2012, 02:27 PM

actually it was kevin garnett.

TeamSeattle
04-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Knicks fans deserve to be made fun of because they are the definition of Bush League fans. Iman did a good job on Rose. Even if he hadn't played in awhile. But is it necessary to make a thread on a player after every game you guys win? Act like you've been there before guys.

Can you stop posting this on every page of this thread and maybe we can actually have a decent discussion about him.

He115ing
04-10-2012, 02:32 PM

No he does not. Just because he got a block on Wade everyone is going crazy.

Rndy
04-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Can you stop posting this on every page of this thread and maybe we can actually have a decent discussion about him.

What do you think though? how do you feel about Jimmy Butler locking down Melo twice?

If you don't understand my point here then you're part of the problem.

TeamSeattle
04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
What do you think though? how do you feel about Jimmy Butler locking down Melo twice?

Jimmy Butler is a nice young player with some solid defense. I wouldn't say he locked him up at all though; Melo still got his. He can't seem to rid himself of the glue which keeps him on the bench now though.

meloman1592
04-10-2012, 02:46 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

GiantsSwaGG
04-10-2012, 02:49 PM

Are you Jimmy Butler groupie or something? Who cares about Jimmy Butler...difference between him and Shumpert is that Shumpert actually plays!

GiantsSwaGG
04-10-2012, 02:51 PM

If he was so great, why didn't he lock him down Sunday?

CudiOnMyiPod
04-10-2012, 02:58 PM
If he was so great, why didn't he lock him down Sunday?

If Iman Shumpert was the heir the Michael Jordan then why aren't the Knicks 56-0?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Avery Bradley>Shumpert

Shump's defensive PPP is .82.....good for 145th in the league. bradley is top 20

Was about to say the same thing. And where's Bradley's thread?

GiantsSwaGG
04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
If Iman Shumpert was the heir the Michael Jordan then why aren't the Knicks 56-0?

Why aren't the Bulls 56-0 if Jimmy Butler is the next heir the Michael Jordan?

TeamSeattle
04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Was about to say the same thing. And where's Bradley's thread?

then make the thread already and stop crying whenever u see anythin knicks :facepalm:

CudiOnMyiPod
04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Why aren't the Bulls 56-0 if Jimmy Butler is the next heir the Michael Jordan?

I never said a word about Butler.

And I'm not the one talking about Shumpert like he is Jordan talented.

beasted86
04-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Iman Shumpert? Jimmy Butler? Avery Bradley?

How the F did this thread get to 16+ pages?

chicago lulz
Shumpert did a damn good job sticking with Rose Sunday. And he got a few strips too. Impressive stuff.

Evolution23
I got a brilliant idea. Instead of hating Knicks fans, lets talk about Iman Shumpert and what he can do in the future. Or we can go back to hating New Yorkers, what ever is easier.

CudiOnMyiPod
04-10-2012, 03:18 PM
I got a brilliant idea. Instead of hating Knicks fans, lets talk about Iman Shumpert and what he can do in the future. Or we can go back to hating New Yorkers, what ever is easier.

Here's an even better idea. Instead of talking about Shumpert like he is in Michael Jordan's class, let's talk about what he really is.

NSJ
04-10-2012, 03:25 PM
I actually didn't mind the Knicks at the beginning of the season. Always been a fan of Melo and Baron Davis and never had a problem with Chandler. However all the ******** talk about Shumpert and Lin have made me hate the Knicks.

beasted86
04-10-2012, 03:33 PM

17 pages and going

CostanzaNumba0
04-10-2012, 03:42 PM

The Knicks have by far the largest fanbase on this page, ergo they also have the most amount of haters, that is the perfect combo for a long thread

GiantsSwaGG
04-10-2012, 03:50 PM
I never said a word about Butler.

And I'm not the one talking about Shumpert like he is Jordan talented.

I wasn't either so whats your point?

GiantsSwaGG
04-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Here's an even better idea. Instead of talking about Shumpert like he is in Michael Jordan's class, let's talk about what he really is.

Who saying he's talented than Jordan? Knicks fans are comparing him to Bruce Bowen or Tony Allen. Stop trolling!

Nycbball08
04-10-2012, 03:54 PM

You don't hate a player or any one for that matter because of how others potrays them, if your gonna hate do it based on how you perceive them..

Evolution23
04-10-2012, 04:15 PM

I got another idea. How about you tell it like is. No one said he was Michael Jordan.