PDA

View Full Version : Coach Of The Year

JasonJohnHorn
04-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Season is winding down. Ten games to go. Who you got for coach of the year? I'm thinking Thibbs, considering the high level this team has been playing at and the fact they have had a lot of injuries, and DONT have a core like the Heat, Lakers or Spurs, each of whom have three all-star calibre players. Adleman deserves to be in the conversation, but the T-Wolves have been dropping a lot of games as of late (since the injury bug started hitting the team), and obviousl Scott Brooks and Pop are int he conversation as well.

Thoughts?

xk4
04-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Thibbs will probably win.

I'd throw Doc's name in the hat for keeping the band together despite the constant injuries, retirements, level 3 concussions, multiple players going out with heart conditions. . .The team really should have been traded away this year and he found a way to at least keep them in contention. But they've also had numerous embarrassing losses so I think that takes him out of the running

FriedTofuz
04-08-2012, 01:52 PM
thibbs, pop, vogel, brooks
for what its worth, look at the raptors with dwyane casey. They were dead last in defense at 30th and now a top 10 defensive team in terms of field goal % and 3point %. They are top 15 for allowing points. I think he's overacheived what was expected of him on his first year with relatively the same roaster as last season for the raptors.

CHANGO
04-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Thibs, then Pop, then Vogel.

EASILY is Thibs.

Ezio
04-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Thibs but if Spurs get #1 seed then I'll pick Pop.

northsider
04-08-2012, 02:30 PM
I was quick to say Thibs but, what Pop has done is nothing short of miraculous. Both are very deserving sort of like the MVP race between Durant and Lebron. All we can hope for is something finally separates the 2 significantly intangible wise.

justinnum1
04-08-2012, 02:34 PM
pop

tredigs
04-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Brooks on the list? Might as well add Del Negro.

I would have a tough time deciding between Pop and Thibbs.

Cano4prez
04-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Popovich

Bornknick73
04-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Thibs by a mile. He hasnt had Rose for over 20 games this year and they still have the best record in the league.

THE MTL
04-08-2012, 04:30 PM
I would go with Pop. The Spurs were supposed to be cast offs. TOO OLD. window closed. etc. etc. And they even lost Ginobli for 25+ games this season. They play in the harder conference and they are currently #1 seed in the West

FraziersKnicks
04-08-2012, 04:58 PM
I say Pop, then Thibs.

F-Mart26
04-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Mike Woodsoon :D hahaha but seriously Tommy T

meloNYK
04-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Pop for sure

justinnum1
04-08-2012, 05:34 PM
pop, thibs should have called a timeout when rose tripped, not sure why he didnt but it was weird

TrueFan420
04-08-2012, 06:00 PM
if i could have one coach to coach my team id take pop

k.smith904
04-08-2012, 06:04 PM
what pop has done is impressive, but it should still be Thibs. Most likely a consecutive #1 seed, despite the injuries. Best defense, best rebounds...

TrueFan420
04-08-2012, 06:46 PM
what pop has done is impressive, but it should still be Thibs. Most likely a consecutive #1 seed, despite the injuries. Best defense, best rebounds...

thibs will prob get it because its a one year thing but im just saying if I could have one coach to coach my team id want pop

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Pop or Vogel. I'm not really a firm believer of giving someone Coach of the Year twice in a row unless if the team completely overachieved, but that's just me:shrug:

Knickfansince97
04-08-2012, 06:54 PM
mike woodson lol j.k thibbs for the second year. he has done an amazing job even with key players being hurt

Bruno
04-08-2012, 06:56 PM
id vote Pop.

The Flash
04-08-2012, 07:07 PM
My vote goes to SVG

BcEuAbRsS
04-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Thibs... But I wouldn't complain about Pop since he's from my home town of Merrillville, IN...

ThunderousDemon
04-08-2012, 07:24 PM
It's obvious who the coach of the year is,

Mike Brown of course

Lulz!!!!!

Raph12
04-09-2012, 12:33 AM
I got Pop; every year we all think the Spurs will drop off and every year they prove everyone wrong... Thibs is doing wonders with that Spurs team and they're playing their best brand of basketball late in the season.

ManningToTyree
04-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Thibbs and pop are the only two considerations.

I took thibbs. That record while missing rose for a ton of games is unreal

b@llhog24
04-09-2012, 12:55 AM
pop, thibs should have called a timeout when rose tripped, not sure why he didnt but it was weird

it's only one game.

celmxc
04-09-2012, 12:57 AM
I pick thibbs because of the injuries and the bulls record ...
And the worst coach is probably Mike dantoni / vinny del negro

stawka
04-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Mike Brown

But seriously, I'd say Thibs. He's kept that team with the #1 record in the LEAGUE dispite his best player missing a tonne of games. Second, Pops

But no doubt Thibs IMO

MGB
04-09-2012, 04:18 AM
The Bulls have put up good offensive efficiency, continue to play suffocating D, and still have the #1 seed despite being without the MVP for a good chunk of games this season. It has to be Thibs.

justinnum1
04-09-2012, 09:55 AM
it's only one game.

ok.

He115ing
04-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Homer pick- Woodson

Objective pick- Pop or Thibs

Sportfan
04-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Thibs by a mile. He hasnt had Rose for over 20 games this year and they still have the best record in the league.
Spurs have gone most of the year without Manu and limited Duncan's minutes to the best record is a much tougher conference (Spurs 14-3 against East, Bulls 11-6 against west) I think Chicago has the better supporting cast after Rose than the spurs outside of Manu so gimme Pop

pd1dish
04-09-2012, 10:34 AM
it's only one game.

yeah but hes a heat fan, so no matter what he goes against the bulls whenever possible.

i go with thibs. best record in the league without our reigning MVP for 22 games, best defensive coach in the league, most wins with less talent, and no matter how much the bulls are losing by, at the end of the game, thibs is able to will our team back into it.

i know pop has done a great job especially without ginobili for a lot of the time, but missing ginobili for the spurs isnt as big as the bulls missing rose.

justinnum1
04-09-2012, 11:26 AM
yeah but hes a heat fan, so no matter what he goes against the bulls whenever possible.

i go with thibs. best record in the league without our reigning MVP for 22 games, best defensive coach in the league, most wins with less talent, and no matter how much the bulls are losing by, at the end of the game, thibs is able to will our team back into it.

i know pop has done a great job especially without ginobili for a lot of the time, but missing ginobili for the spurs isnt as big as the bulls missing rose.

:rolleyes:

Yea, because pop is such a bad choice

If the spurs end with a better record than the bulls then pop will win it for sure

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Five people voted for "other".... who did I leave off my list? Everybody who commented seems to think it goes to Pop or Thibbs. Are there some Heat Homers who think I should have put Spo on the list? lol

lvlheaded
04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Give me Pop. Every one knew the Bulls would be good, people were saying that the Spurs were too old, didn't have enough, there widow was closed, etc. etc. and they are number 1 in the West. Give me Pop by a slim margin

justinnum1
04-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Five people voted for "other".... who did I leave off my list? Everybody who commented seems to think it goes to Pop or Thibbs. Are there some Heat Homers who think I should have put Spo on the list? lol

No one thinks spo should get it, but if the heat somehow finish with the best revord which is a possibility, then spo should be an option.

Raph12
04-09-2012, 02:20 PM
The Spurs have won 50+games every year since Pop has been their head coach (same year TD was drafted; the one year they didn't win 50+ was the lockout season [37-13])... Despite DRob declining and retiring, despite TD dropping his production and minutes off considerably, despite all of the injuries to his key players; this coach has kept Spurs elite each and every season, but has only won COY just once.

Pop is the best coach in basketball, he's the best at adjusting his team, his lineups, his schemes and his playing style to get the most out of his team each and every season. This year everyone thought the Spurs were done, yet they'll probably have the best record in the league by the end of the season.

TheBatchelor213
04-09-2012, 05:49 PM
nobody has mentioned alvin gentry? that team aside of nash has hardly any talent and yet are in contention for the 8th playoff spot....pretty amazing if you ask me. other teams like utah, and houston who are in the same boat have much more talent then the suns. what the suns have done is pretty amazing.

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2012, 07:51 PM
nobody has mentioned alvin gentry? that team aside of nash has hardly any talent and yet are in contention for the 8th playoff spot....pretty amazing if you ask me. other teams like utah, and houston who are in the same boat have much more talent then the suns. what the suns have done is pretty amazing.

Fair enough, that said, I hate to say it but, McHale deserves mention here as well... the Rockets have no business being in the playoffs with their roster... no offence to Rockets fans, but man, the West is DEEP!

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2012, 07:55 PM
No one thinks spo should get it, but if the heat somehow finish with the best revord which is a possibility, then spo should be an option.

I think the thing with Spo is the fact the expectations are so high with this squad, that anything less then the best record is considered an underachievement. They have the best SF in the game, the second best shooting guard (perhaps the best depending who you ask) and a top-three PF, with Haslem, Miller and Battier coming off the bench.

So even if Spo get the best record, peopel will be like: Yeah, you got LBJ Wade and Bosh, you SHOULD have the best record. Its like when Phil Jackson was coaching the Bulls... he had to not only win the msot games that season, he had to win the most games EVER to get coach of the year, because the expectation was so high with that roster.

I think most people would see Spo as just treading water with the best record, and most people would acredit the record to the squad and not the coach. But that said, he seems to be doing a good job this year.

justinnum1
04-09-2012, 07:57 PM
yea, just saying, if the heat get the #1 record, saying spo should be COY wouldnt be that crazy tho i think pop deserves it

AIRMAR72
04-09-2012, 08:55 PM
its between coach rivers or coach mchale

TylerSL
04-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I would pick Pop. Nothing against Thibs, but everybody knew the Bulls would be great. I pick Pop over Vogel because I wasnt even sure if the Spurs were going to make the playoffs this year. They looked done in the playoffs. I dont see the Spurs hoisting another title, but I wouldnt be suprised if we see them either getting deep in Round 2 or WCF. Pop and Duncan will not go out in Round 1 again.

TylerSL
04-09-2012, 11:12 PM
I really would say Addelmen, but since Rubios injury, the T-wolves have really ran out of gas. I think its sad :pity:

TylerSL
04-09-2012, 11:16 PM

I doubt Spo ever wins Coach of the Year, because of who Miami has. However IMO he should have won it in 08-09. They went from 15 wins to 43 wins in 1 year.

Giraffes Rule
04-09-2012, 11:29 PM
I think Thibodeau wins it. Lost the MVP from last year for 20+ games but still have the best record in the league. For me it's 1a and 1b with Pop, but at least after losing Ginobili the Spurs had Parker and Duncan to lean on.