PDA

View Full Version : Rondo Reaches Double-Digit Assists for 16 Straight games.

JasonJohnHorn
04-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Last night Rondo read double-digit in assists for the 16th straight game, the longest such streak in almost 20 years (Stockton was obviously the last person to pull this off, I believe in 1995).

Thoughts?

Sadds The Gr8
04-08-2012, 11:16 AM
great distributor, and nobody has denied it. it's his awful shootin that worries people

bigsams50
04-08-2012, 11:23 AM
One thing i cant understand, is how come he hasnt gotten a jumpshot yet in all of these years in the league :confused:

Baller1
04-08-2012, 11:41 AM
16 straight is the longest such streak since Stockton? That's shocking to me.

knicksfan42
04-08-2012, 11:45 AM
16 straight is the longest such streak since Stockton? That's shocking to me.

Nash averaged 11 or more assists for 6 seasons so it is a bit of a shock.

n83417
04-08-2012, 11:50 AM
One thing i cant understand, is how come he hasnt gotten a jumpshot yet in all of these years in the league :confused:

I know. Bradley had all the same shooting flaws, but he has become a consistently reliable shooter from certain spots. It baffles me how Bradley can improve so much in a year and rondo has all the same flaws he had in college. He just becomes obsessed with assists and doesn't care about scoring. It drives me crazy.

n83417
04-08-2012, 11:53 AM

But Nash can score to take over a game. He could have 14 points and 17 assists or 28 points and 7 assists and no one will think twice about it. If rondo had a stretch of games where he averaged 26 and 6 everyone would be shocked.

Sportfan
04-08-2012, 11:56 AM
I know. Bradley had all the same shooting flaws, but he has become a consistently reliable shooter from certain spots. It baffles me how Bradley can improve so much in a year and rondo has all the same flaws he had in college. He just becomes obsessed with assists and doesn't care about scoring. It drives me crazy.
Rondo was an average defender in college

ModernDaySavage
04-08-2012, 11:57 AM
You guys are underestimating the difficulty of this. One 9 assist game and the streak is over, it is very difficult to go double digits for 16+ straight games. Give one of the best passers in the game today some props.

smith&wesson
04-08-2012, 12:16 PM
has any one ever seen rondo's hands ? they are abnormally big. for someone his size his hands are almost like shaqs. the ball looks soo small in his hands at the free throw line. i always supsected that being a reason for him not having a great shot.

Baller1
04-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Exactly, I thought someone like Nash or Kidd would have done this in the last decade at some point.

thekmp211
04-08-2012, 12:21 PM
lol once again, anyone else does this and people would be puking with delight. he's played the role of pure distributor, for this streak of strong play, probably as well as i've ever seen. don't misconstrue that statement, but don't underestimate it either.

FraziersKnicks
04-08-2012, 12:38 PM
He's very good at getting the ball to players in positions they want the ball in.. Great distributor.

tredigs
04-08-2012, 12:38 PM
lol once again, anyone else does this and people would be puking with delight. he's played the role of pure distributor, for this streak of strong play, probably as well as i've ever seen. don't misconstrue that statement, but don't underestimate it either.

I guess? It's tough to imagine people not putting the whole picture into perspective and at least saying, "but WOW has 'X player' been going through an embarrassing shooting slump at the same time; 9.6 points on 43.9% from the field and 60% from the line. Yikes". It's not as if he's had 16 games of 15+ assists or something comparable to how he started the season last year. We see guys average 10+ assists for the season every season. Some for a decade.

His play in this stretch still leaves a lot to be desired, but the distribution has definitely been there and the Celtics are playing good ball in large part thanks to him.

thekmp211
04-08-2012, 12:49 PM
I guess? It's tough to imagine people not putting the whole picture into perspective and at least saying, "but WOW has 'X player' been going through an embarrassing shooting slump at the same time; 9.6 points on 43.9% from the field and 60% from the line. Yikes". It's not as if he's had 16 games of 15+ assists or something comparable to how he started the season last year. We see guys average 10+ assists for the season every season. Some for a decade.

His play in this stretch still leaves a lot to be desired, but the distribution has definitely been there and the Celtics are playing good ball in large part thanks to him.

i mean he's had about 15 straight games of 12+ assist games, are the extra three really taking the consistency to another level? i can't recall any such streak ever.

again, i don't want to get misconstrued here but you really can't understate how passive his offensive game is against most teams, and it's not because of a lack of effort or because he's straying from the plan. the way he's played during this streak has been pass first, pass second, and score when the big boys are in town. like i said as far as "pure distributor" it's as focused and successful an effort as i've ever seen. there's a reason all of the great point guards over the last 20 years haven't done it, right?

i get that there is an idea of the "right" kind of player here, and for the most part it's fair to hold guys to a certain amount of standard qualifications. but context is always important and within the context of boston celtics basketball during this streak, i just don't think anyone can contend that his play leaves "a lot to be desired". his teammates and coach certainly wouldn't agree.

jason kidd does this? we all commend him for overcoming the weaknesses in his game. rondo is just seen in a different light by most people, for a variety of reasons.

Cal827
04-08-2012, 12:49 PM
has any one ever seen rondo's hands ? they are abnormally big. for someone his size his hands are almost like shaqs. the ball looks soo small in his hands at the free throw line. i always supsected that being a reason for him not having a great shot.

LOL, somewhere, Kwame Brown is angry that God Screwed him.

Awesome on the streak though.. I wonder how many more he'll go.

JasonJohnHorn
04-08-2012, 01:28 PM
I think it says something about the direction of the game. Ever since Jordan, the role of the traditional point guard has been slipping. More often now we see players outside of the PG bring the ball up or running the plays. Wade. James. Kobe. Pierce. Iggy. McGrady. And C-Webb stepped up the play-making standard of big guys, so that coaches can now run an offensive set through a big man. Phil Jackson did it a lot with Pao Gasol, obviously Brad Miller over the years, C-Web, and others.

The traditional PG is a dying breed. We'll never see another Stockton. Nash is about the closest thing we'll see for a while (Stockton, unlike Rondo, could shoot). Stockton recorded 15 806 regular season assists. Nash, who is still leading the league at 38, has only 9 836. He is, at his current rate, about 5 or 6 years from reaching John Stockton.

Its harder and harder for PGs to really play the traditionnal role, and the fact that it has been almost 20 years since this was last accomplished says something, whether good or bad, about the league.

xk4
04-08-2012, 01:43 PM
I think Rondo is just tired of Nash getting the assist trophy every year. He is trailing by .1 apg right now

thekmp211
04-08-2012, 01:44 PM
I think it says something about the direction of the game. Ever since Jordan, the role of the traditional point guard has been slipping. More often now we see players outside of the PG bring the ball up or running the plays. Wade. James. Kobe. Pierce. Iggy. McGrady. And C-Webb stepped up the play-making standard of big guys, so that coaches can now run an offensive set through a big man. Phil Jackson did it a lot with Pao Gasol, obviously Brad Miller over the years, C-Web, and others.

The traditional PG is a dying breed. We'll never see another Stockton. Nash is about the closest thing we'll see for a while (Stockton, unlike Rondo, could shoot). Stockton recorded 15 806 regular season assists. Nash, who is still leading the league at 38, has only 9 836. He is, at his current rate, about 5 or 6 years from reaching John Stockton.

Its harder and harder for PGs to really play the traditionnal role, and the fact that it has been almost 20 years since this was last accomplished says something, whether good or bad, about the league.

really? i'm not sure i agree with the contention that the "pure" point guards is dying or any more or less prevalent that it has been historically. besides stockton and rondo, only Magic and kevin porter have ever accomplished this feat, at any time in any era.

stockton is probably the most durable, consistent player ever and certainly the most durable, consistent point guard ever. that has as much or more to do with the total stats he compiled than era and style of play.

if anything, rule changes have simply made it easier for smaller, quicker players to score effectively. and scoring with certainty yourself is still the best option, even for the best passer in the world.

FriedTofuz
04-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Last night Rondo read double-digit in assists for the 16th straight game, the longest such streak in almost 20 years (Stockton was obviously the last person to pull this off, I believe in 1995).

Thoughts?

where is the proof that this is the longest streak for double digit assists?

thekmp211
04-08-2012, 02:02 PM
where is the proof that this is the longest streak for double digit assists?

NBA - Rondo 4th player in NBA history
From Elias: Rajon Rondo is the 4th player in NBA history with at least 10 assists in 16 straight games in a single season, joining John Stockton, Magic Johnson and Kevin Porter. Rondo is the first player with a 16-game streak since Stockton, who had at least 10 assists in 29 straight games from Jan.-March 1992.

espn stats and info. no one said it was the longest ever, just the longest since stockton. if he cracks 20+ i'd be astounded, don't think 29 straight will be done for a long, long time.

LakersSaintsLSU
04-08-2012, 02:05 PM
This guy is a monster....much respect for rondo

AnthonyTyrael
04-08-2012, 03:26 PM

Didn't know you've already buried Kidd. He's old, he might retire but he's still around but injured. He won't play 6 more years and he's not averaging the same numbers that Nash does, sure. He stands, historically, however between them. That left alone is worth to be mentioned. I get it, he's not a guy for the future... but it's not that Stockton is 50% better than Nash or him.

Bornknick73
04-08-2012, 06:11 PM
In 2-3 years Rondo will be the Premier PG in the game. All he needs is a solid J.

Defensively hes better than any PG today. His court vision and passing skills are on par with the greats who play today. He can get to the cup as easily as any current PG today.

He lacks a consistent J. Give him a consistent jumper and hes the #1 PG in the game. And this is coming from a Knicks fan.