PDA

View Full Version : Are we (as fans) over sensitive?

stawka
04-08-2012, 05:26 AM
OK so let's be serious now, what are we expecting from the NBA players? Are they not human? Are they supposed to do things to please us and not themselves?

Over the last couple of weeks on this and another forum, there has been a lot of ridiculous complaining about players

"Bynum shot a 3"
"Bynum left a few seconds before the star spangled banner finished"
"D-Will is leaving and is a *****"
"Dwight is leaving and is a *****"
"LeBron is a *****"
"Kobe is an arrogant ballhog"
"Dwight wants a new coach"
"DeMarcus Cousins is cocky"

WTF? I'm probably going on a rant and sounding like a girl who got her first period, but are we being TOO sensitive?

Yeah Dwight should make one decision and stick with it, D-Will should shut up till he IS a free agent, LeBron shouldn't have made "The Decision" as a TV show... But are they not entitled to play their career on a team they want to (as free agents), or should they stay with their drafted team just to keep us fans happy? Bynum shot a 3... WHO CARES?!

Each player is different, whether their style of game or personalities, so why not just let them make their own decisions, live with it, and watch their game and appreciate it rather than turn everything into an episode of Jerry Springer

I'm sounding a little like "Hoops Prophet" but it seems like most of the posts these days are based on hatred towards a player - most being stars. Why not hit appreciate them for being super athletes and providing us with entertainment?

asandhu23
04-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Do not compare thyself to the Almighty Hoops Prophet for thee are unworthy.

KingPosey
04-08-2012, 05:43 AM
It is fans in general, but its even more so posters on this site. There is a formula to the way everyone bandwagons on here, and its SO easy to watch everyone flip flop or follow unreasonable ****.

Method28
04-08-2012, 06:03 AM
My GOD yes. Idk what it is but users on here have been posting some whiney crybaby bull**** a lot more than usual lately. And that is sayin something lol

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Yes, all in all, we as fans are oversensitive. At the end of the day, all these players are human beings who don't have a personal vendetta against us fans. They just want to make as much money as they can and have the highest status and be atop at their sport by building their legacies and ultimately winning championships and doing it their way, even if it might be the "unpopular" or "unconventional" thing to do.

A lot of these guys when they enter the league slowly become role models for a lot of us, some guys are shoved down our throats by the media and the NBA enterprise marketing guys, but none of these players ever asked to be promoted in the way they are or emulated the way they are, it just happens.

meloman1592
04-08-2012, 09:31 AM
I think we are oversensitive when taking criticism of our teams/players. I mean its not like we have any effect on what goes on with them so whats the point in getting so mad. I'm guilty of this but I just thought it would be a good point

torocan
04-08-2012, 10:33 AM
For me it's simple.

I expect athletes who get paid in a year what most human beings get paid over several lifetimes to act like professionals.

I am not allowed to skip meetings.
I am not allowed to ignore my boss.
I am not allowed to slack at work because I dislike the guy in the next cubicle.
I am not allowed to ignore instructions or policies.
I am not allowed to get into trouble with the law.
I am not allowed to make the company look bad.

I am expected to put in 100%.
I am expected to respect the chain of command.
I am expected to be a team player.
I am expected to represent my organization well.
I am expected to perform to the expectations of my employer.
I am expected to be ready when I get to work.
I am expected to treat my co-workers with respect.

For $10m++ per year, I don't think that's alot to expect of a PROFESSIONAL athlete.

If you don't like where you are, do your job, THEN LEAVE.
If you like where you are, SHUT UP and DO YOUR JOB.

That's not being sensitive -- that's holding the professional athletes to the same standard that EVERYONE else is expected to meet.

That anyone would excuse those types of behavior amazes me. There ARE star athletes that show up every day, do their jobs, and act Professionally.

I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

blastmasta26
04-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Fans may be sensitive, but the specific examples of Bynum shooting a 3 and Kobe being a ballhog affect the quality of the game. And players dictating what teams do is also harmful for the league, as it leads to talent being concentrated in large markets and restricting other teams from being able to develop. So while fans do overreact over certain things, you have to realize that things such as these compromise the game to an extent.

LGhost
04-08-2012, 12:13 PM
"Bynum shot a 3"
"Bynum left a few seconds before the star spangled banner finished"
"D-Will is leaving and is a *****"
"Dwight is leaving and is a *****"
"LeBron is a *****"
"Kobe is an arrogant ballhog"
"Dwight wants a new coach"
"DeMarcus Cousins is cocky"

Attaching feelings to the NBA & the players make the game more enjoyable for the majority of the fans... People love stories and if the NBA didn't provide any, then it would probably be worst than it is now accumulating money..

MTL_123
04-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Yes and its not even a question so people are so sensitive. If a player does something that they dnt like everyone starts hating on him its crazy.

Avenged
04-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Big time overly sensitive.. Can't even go into the Lakers forum without reading some ridiculous complaint about Kobe, Pau or Bynum.

TylerSL
04-08-2012, 01:39 PM
yes and its not close

We have fans that think if we dont call Kobe the best player in the league today we are hating on Kobe, same with Rose.

We have fans who are still mad at Lebron for something that happened almost 2 years ago even if it had nothing to do with them anyways. Like in Utah, they boo Lebron about as bad as Cleveland, Chicago, and Boston...... Its been 21 months people.

We have people who think if Durant isnt MVP this year then they are on Lebrons nuts, same with Lebron.

People take it seriously when Howard pulls his **** in Orlando (I personally think he is dumb and it wont suprise me if Orlando goes with everything he says and then leaves them anyway). Same way when Bynum says **** like I dont participate in hudles, or when Melo was making havoc in Denver.

Seriously tho, some people just need to get on with their lives.

TylerSL
04-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Do not compare thyself to the Almighty Hoops Prophet for thee are unworthy.

u know he is banned until may. What a pity :pity:

xk4
04-08-2012, 02:09 PM
The problem isn't fan reactions, it's the excessive media coverage. There's no reason we should have even heard about Dwight trying to get his coach fired, and I honestly don't care. If I had that kind of power I would try to get everyone I know fired constantly.

But it's like cable news shows, they have 24 hours of airtime to kill so every insignificant non-story gets turned into the breaking news event of the year, and it's regurgitated all day until the next thing comes along. Same thing happens in sports reporting.

If social media existed back in the 80s and 90s we would all hate Michael Jordan.

TylerSL
04-08-2012, 03:04 PM
The problem isn't fan reactions, it's the excessive media coverage. There's no reason we should have even heard about Dwight trying to get his coach fired, and I honestly don't care. If I had that kind of power I would try to get everyone I know fired constantly.

But it's like cable news shows, they have 24 hours of airtime to kill so every insignificant non-story gets turned into the breaking news event of the year, and it's regurgitated all day until the next thing comes along. Same thing happens in sports reporting.

If social media existed back in the 80s and 90s we would all hate Michael Jordan.

that is incorrect. Media coverage is so eccessive because of how people react to everything. We feed the media before the media feeds us.

Bruno
04-08-2012, 04:48 PM
I'd agree with stawka. i try to keep my focus on the game, and not personal life or personalities of the players themselves. doesn't always work out but that's the goal.

Chronz
04-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Gotta have something to talk about

Raph12
04-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Yes... Definitely yes.

ManningToTyree
04-09-2012, 12:49 AM
For me it's simple.

I expect athletes who get paid in a year what most human beings get paid over several lifetimes to act like professionals.

I am not allowed to skip meetings.
I am not allowed to ignore my boss.
I am not allowed to slack at work because I dislike the guy in the next cubicle.
I am not allowed to ignore instructions or policies.
I am not allowed to get into trouble with the law.
I am not allowed to make the company look bad.

I am expected to put in 100%.
I am expected to respect the chain of command.
I am expected to be a team player.
I am expected to represent my organization well.
I am expected to perform to the expectations of my employer.
I am expected to be ready when I get to work.
I am expected to treat my co-workers with respect.

For $10m++ per year, I don't think that's alot to expect of a PROFESSIONAL athlete.

If you don't like where you are, do your job, THEN LEAVE.
If you like where you are, SHUT UP and DO YOUR JOB.

That's not being sensitive -- that's holding the professional athletes to the same standard that EVERYONE else is expected to meet.

That anyone would excuse those types of behavior amazes me. There ARE star athletes that show up every day, do their jobs, and act Professionally.

I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

Very well said.