PDA

View Full Version : The refs need to start calling the off-handed push off as an offensive foul

blahblahyoutoo
04-07-2012, 12:06 PM
it all started with jordan's push off of brian russell.
now it's accepted as an offensive move? c'mon now.

for recent examples see blake griffin on gasol, aldridge game winner over haywood.

tredigs
04-07-2012, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't say Blake "pushes off" Gasol. More like punches him in the face en route to his destination.

But yeah I don't really know what you mean, I see it called all the time - a few times off the top of my head last night.

justinnum1
04-07-2012, 01:19 PM
depends who is doing the pushing

FraziersKnicks
04-07-2012, 01:33 PM
I've seen it called, I've seen the refs let it happen.. The action in basketball is so fast paced referee's have a tough job as it is.

blahblahyoutoo
04-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I've seen it called, I've seen the refs let it happen.. The action in basketball is so fast paced referee's have a tough job as it is.

if i can see it on a monitor on a crappy, choppy, blurry stream, the refs should be able to see if from 5 feet away.
it's so blatantly obvious, it's hard to miss. i see it used at least 5x a game, whether it's slapping away a reach-in, or a forearm, or using the off hand to shield a block attempt.

blahblahyoutoo
04-07-2012, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't say Blake "pushes off" Gasol. More like punches him in the face en route to his destination.

But yeah I don't really know what you mean, I see it called all the time - a few times off the top of my head last night.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7785218&startTime=00:51

tell me what you didn't see there.
i'll give you a hint. it was a whistle on the left forearm.

FraziersKnicks
04-07-2012, 01:58 PM
if i can see it on a monitor on a crappy, choppy, blurry stream, the refs should be able to see if from 5 feet away.
it's so blatantly obvious, it's hard to miss. i see it used at least 5x a game, whether it's slapping away a reach-in, or a forearm, or using the off hand to shield a block attempt.

I agree the shielding of block attempts should be an offensive foul but I hate all the tick tacky fouls that are blown for when players are fighting for position.. Let them play I say.

king4day
04-07-2012, 02:00 PM
I understand the concern but it would drastically slow the game down if every single one was called. They get missed sometimes. It happens

tkshy
04-07-2012, 02:17 PM
The refs in the NBA are by far the WORST in any sport. The push off gets called depending on who is doing it. That goes for ever call. Don't ask me why, but I was watching the Heat vs. Raptor game a couple nights ago and DWade pump fakes and jumps into James Johnson and gets the foul call (fyi that is supposed to be on offensive foul call now) and Wade shoots his two, on the next possession JJ pump fakes Wade and jumps into him and gets called for an offensive foul (correct call mind you) but seriously??? Now in fairness I am a Laker fan and Kobe does get a few his way, that I love, but it's getting stupid.

xk4
04-07-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't know how many of you have watched Avery Bradley play, but guards do this to him on a nightly basis and it usually ends with him getting a defensive foul. It's crap

blahblahyoutoo
04-07-2012, 03:11 PM
I understand the concern but it would drastically slow the game down if every single one was called. They get missed sometimes. It happens

what??? no.
it's becoming more and more prevalent because it isn't enforced. once it starts being enforced, it will stop and there won't be any slow down to the game.

blahblahyoutoo
04-07-2012, 03:11 PM
The refs in the NBA are by far the WORST in any sport. The push off gets called depending on who is doing it. That goes for ever call. Don't ask me why, but I was watching the Heat vs. Raptor game a couple nights ago and DWade pump fakes and jumps into James Johnson and gets the foul call (fyi that is supposed to be on offensive foul call now) and Wade shoots his two, on the next possession JJ pump fakes Wade and jumps into him and gets called for an offensive foul (correct call mind you) but seriously??? Now in fairness I am a Laker fan and Kobe does get a few his way, that I love, but it's getting stupid.

yup, that's another call i hate.
jumping into the other guy to draw the foul.

Ladies Man
04-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Is this thread trying to bash Griffin? Cause if it is, I'm on board. I'm tired of him doing that

blahblahyoutoo
04-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Is this thread trying to bash Griffin? Cause if it is, I'm on board. I'm tired of him doing that

no, it's to bash anyone to who does it, but moreso on the refs who don't call it.

Silent
04-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Blake Wade and Lebron are known for this

Raph12
04-07-2012, 03:53 PM
To an extent, we don't want guys to start flopping any more than they already do, just so they get the call.

Method28
04-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Oh lord.

I guess NBA fans are becoming as soft as the players now.

Stop whining about baby calls.

The hate is borderline re******.

Griffin gets butchered because he dunks, stares and "flops." Yet for Manu, flopping is "art." Laker fans complain about Griffin floppin when Gasol (and fisher used to be) on their team. Westbrook goes NUTS for every dunk and also constantly uses his forearm and states ppl down.....no one mentions it.

All this complaining and whining is ruining the NBA forum.

InRoseWeTrust
04-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Oh lord.

Griffin gets butchered because he dunks, stares and "flops." Yet for Manu, flopping is "art." Laker fans complain about Griffin floppin when Gasol (and fisher used to be) on their team. Westbrook goes NUTS for every dunk and also constantly uses his forearm and states ppl down.....no one mentions it.

No, I think Griffin is getting butchered right now because whenever he has one of his "signature" dunks, it involves him committing a blatant offensive foul and basically elbowing whoever is in the post on him in the face. And he walks around like an arrogant dbag.

xxplayerxx23
04-07-2012, 06:43 PM
melo gets called for it a lot, even when he doesnt do it they call it, yet blake does it 99 percent of the time lol

blahblahyoutoo
04-07-2012, 09:11 PM
sorry, this is not a bash blake thread.
stop taking it personally and getting so offended.

Oh lord.

kozelkid
04-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I'm in full agreement. The number of times I see Lebron pushing off his defender when doing a fade jumper from the post is ridiculous. Won't happen though.

justinnum1
04-07-2012, 09:32 PM
stars will get away with it.

Method28
04-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Im not getting offended...im really not. I just think there's sooo much.bias from fans that its getting ridiculous.

Like Laker fans complaining about Clippers flopping. Its like really? Gasol and Fish are some of the biggest floppers in nba history, yet they complain.

Stars will be stars and have ALWAYS been favored. This is nothing new.

If you look at the forum topics right now....waaay too many of them are about complaining instead of discussing real basketball. Too much drama for my taste....

Sactown
04-07-2012, 09:42 PM
David Stern gave Blake the ay OK to do it

YungDaSensai
04-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Blake griffin in his short career is the king of the off hand push off. 90% of his dunks(still nice dunks) he does that **** and never gets called.

Method28
04-07-2012, 11:47 PM
David Stern gave Blake the ay OK to do it

Oh, well there ya go everyone. So quit complaining. The boss gave the ok, deal with it lol

Max.This
04-08-2012, 01:36 AM
they do call it.. though they have a handful of players in which they take exception too lol.

shizzle09
04-08-2012, 02:03 AM
never have i seen anyone get away with a more blatent use of the off arm to dunk on people. The one on Pau was just ridiculous. that said it's sure fun to watch!!

alexander_37
04-08-2012, 10:31 PM

if i can see it on a monitor on a crappy, choppy, blurry stream,the refs should be able to see if from 5 feet away.

Maybe that's your problem.

SpaceJamJordans
04-09-2012, 02:23 AM
you mean Kobe Bryant

Zefflin
04-09-2012, 02:30 AM
This is lebrons MAIN move HAHA it'll never go away! Someone say it isn't. Lebron dribbling and using his off hand to push/shove the defenders hand/body back to create space and shoot, someone tell me it's not Lebrons MAIN move that he uses every game...anyone?? Haha

JC_
04-09-2012, 03:30 AM
This is lebrons MAIN move HAHA it'll never go away! Someone say it isn't. Lebron dribbling and using his off hand to push/shove the defenders hand/body back to create space and shoot, someone tell me it's not Lebrons MAIN move that he uses every game...anyone?? Haha

Watch any of the greats and their offhand is making sure they get a decent shot attempt, most of the time there is incoming contact though and they are just shielding against it.

Hawkeye15
04-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I never get why people complain about the calls refs make and miss. Its the NBA. Watch another sport if you think its unfair, cause it aint changing anytime soon.

Btw, it started WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before Jordan's pushoff of Byron.

He115ing
04-09-2012, 09:56 AM
The refs have been especially bad this season, especially Joey Crawford, when will somebody just club him to death already?