PDA

View Full Version : Lakers as serious contenders?

Il Mago50
04-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Alright so I wanted to see what people though about this since the Heat and Thunder's chances at a title are mostly talked about at the moment on the forum.

In the West, I believe the Lakers are being vastly overlooked at the moment because of everything that's been going on around the team in terms of Bynum's childishness, Kobe shooting too often, trade rumors, etc. That being said, now that the team has established their 8 man rotation of Bynum-Gasol-Metta-Kobe-Sessions-Blake-Barnes-McRoberts, I honestly believe that they should be considered the favorite out west.

First of all, you have arguably the best trio of players in the West that create the most mismatches. Although I understand some saying KD-Westbrook-Harden are better, the mere fact that no one in the West has anyone to guard their post players save for Memphis really gives them a huge advantage in that department, one that's been greatly covered already. When talking about OKC, if they face a team such as Memphis, Tony Allen, Mike Conley and Rudy Gay will give at least one of those guys all they can handle out in the perimeter which neglects that advantage.

Secondly, although bench scoring has been a major weakness, the nature of the short rotations in the playoffs would mean that the major pieces for the Lakers would be out on the floor for 35+ mins a night to begin with, making excessive bench scoring unnecessary, especially with a dynamic fourth option in Sessions. I believe that teams such as the Spurs, who thrive on that depth, won't get as much of an advantage in that regard in a 7 game series

Lastly, the team is a good defensive and rebounding team. They have three very good perimeter defenders (barnes, metta, kobe) and obviously shot blocking in the paint.

Although I see them as overlooked, I believe that this team should make it out of the West if they stay healthy for the reasons I listed above.

What's everyone else's opinion?

CudiOnMyiPod
04-06-2012, 11:47 PM
No...

Outside of Kobe, Gasol, Bynum and Sessions, their team is pure trash. McRoberts, Barnes, Blake, Artest, Murphy, etc... are all either 9th/10th guys or pure scrubs.

Il Mago50
04-06-2012, 11:50 PM
No...

Outside of Kobe, Gasol, Bynum and Sessions, their team is pure trash. McRoberts, Barnes, Blake, Artest, Murphy, etc... are all either 9th/10th guys or pure scrubs.

I personally don't agree with the last part. Metta is still a very good defender and scrappy player although he's obv not going to be putting up big numbers offensively. Ditto for Barnes, who can hit the open J and brings toughness, rebounding and defense on the perimeter. Blake spreads the floor but yeah I do agree that he doesn't bring much else and shouldn't be a guy who plays 20+ mins a night and finally, the two post guys rebound and in Murphy's case, can somewhat spread the floor.

TboneM3
04-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Ya, I think our best 5 players can beat any other 5, especially in the slow tempo of playoffs, but the rest of our guys just stink it up so bad that we just won't be able to hang with the other elite teams for too long. Just don't see it.

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-06-2012, 11:52 PM
No...

Championships aren't won by talent on paper. Looks like that's how you're evaluating teams. Not the way to do so.

It's a matter of mixing well and doing things well on the offensive and especially defensive end by committee, which this Laker team does with MWP, McBOB and Barnes to go along with our big 4.

And Sessions has given us that added scoring punch and assist guy that not many teams have a true scouting report on how to defend the Lakers.

With this condensed season and 10 or so games remaining, teams will now have to change their entire scouting report because Ramon Sessions makes that difference.

IMO, yes, they are contenders. There are 5 main contenders in the NBA, the Lakeshow, Thunder, Bulls, Heat and Spurs. The Lakeshow is probably the best 3rd defensive team behind CHI and MIA, and way better defensively than SAS and OKC.

justinnum1
I think they are contenders, but a lot depends on the matchup they get. I think memphis would be tough for them to beat. If they get a first round matchup vs dallas i can see them advancing fo sure

Bruno
lakers will be a threat to every team if they show up motivated, focused and ready to grind it out. if the flake-show makes an appearance come playoffs, they can be swept. the lakers will be the least predictable team come playoffs. only thing you can count on is that they'll give up big leads. they can also grind out the top teams in the 4th.

Iron24th
04-06-2012, 11:54 PM
I don't see us as the west heavy favorite,but for sure no team wants to face us in a 7 games series.

Il Mago50
04-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Ya, I think our best 5 players can beat any other 5, especially in the slow tempo of playoffs, but the rest of our guys just stink it up so bad that we just won't be able to hang with the other elite teams for too long. Just don't see it.

By the elite, I'm guessing we're talking about the Spurs and OKC.

When talking about the Spurs, they really don't have a shot blocking presence or a true perimeter stopper on their roster. Although I'm very impressed with what they're doing, I still think that they're nothing more then a very good regular season team at this point that dominates opponents due to their familiarity with one another which can offset nights where their legs aren't into it, etc. For the Spurs, they will most likely be killed in the post by the two bigs but have their own advantage with Parker and Manu due to Sessions' suspect D. If Metta and Barnes play defense well enough in the series, I see the Lakers beating them in 6 games.

As for OKC, the only true advantage that they have is the tempo they play at and their athleticism. While they do have the MVP of the league, Durant can still be bodied by a bigger defender such as Metta which, although obv not stopping him, could make him less efficient. As for Westbrook and Harden, Harden will get his and it'll be tough to stop him but forcing Westbrook into forcing a lot of shots would be a key to throwing the entire team's flow out of sync. The Thunder are very similar offensively in that they rely on three guys to score the ball and besides that, the others rely mostly on dishes in the post or the occasional Daquan Cook jumper. To beat them, the pace has to be slowed, something that will naturally happen due to the playoffs. Once that happens, I think the Lakers are prime to beat them in a 7 game series.

D12 fan
04-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Thunder
Spurs

Everybody else.

Avenged
04-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Lakers bench will be their downfall.

ichitownclowni
04-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Anyone who makes the playoffs imo has the potential to win

LakersIn5
04-07-2012, 12:15 AM
top 5 contenders
1.a heat
1.b thunder
1.c bulls
2. spurs
3. lakers

Bruno
04-07-2012, 12:19 AM

id rather have it be like that, than have one of the big three not show up for the post season. that way, we can at least blame it on management for not shipping the TE and Dallas first round pick for bench talent at the deadline. LAL traded a first round pick to get rid of Fishers contract. that first round pick should have been combined with the TE to bolster the bench. they chose frugality over bolstering the bench, lets see how it plays out. we know how that went in 2004 (worst bench for any conference champion i recall of).

Teeboy1487
04-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Lack of bench and 3 point shooting will be our down fall.

lakerboy
04-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Coming to the playoffs last year, who gave the Mavs a chance?

raiderNlakerfan
04-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Lakers would beat chicago in 5-6 games. Okc and miami are the only teams i see beating LA in a 7 game series

D12 fan
04-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Coming to the playoffs last year, who gave the Mavs a chance?

HaHa,The Lakers don't have the chemistry the Mavs had last year,Bynum is a bonehead(just got tossed for taunting Hou bench in tonights game),and Kobe is in full chuck mode this year,Gasol=2words (Blake Griffin).

koetravis
04-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Lakers will go as far as Bynum will take them. Too bad he's so childish.

Cal827
04-07-2012, 12:58 AM
I think so. As long as they avoid Memphis.

They would give OKC some serious problems with two of the best big men around, as well as good veteran defenders at the SF position in World Peace/Barnes. I think they very well could beat them.

I mention Memphis as a problem cause they could basically counter each position

Gasol-Zbo
Bynum-Gasol
Sessions-Conley
Kobe-Allen

Allen to defend Kobe, and World Peace/Barnes to defend Gay.... I would see seven game series, but hard not to pick memphis when you also account the bench.

The more and more we discuss the playoff chances of teams, the more I like the Grizz lol

SpaceJamJordans
04-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Lets go Clippers! jk
Kobe's gonna probably pickup the slack and win it

Lakers + Giants
04-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Honeslty i don't think so. We're way to inconsistent.

shep33
04-07-2012, 01:13 AM
Our starters are all playing hurt:

Bynum-ankle
Pau-elbow
Ron-ankle
Kobe-shin
Sessions-shoulder

Our bench is beyond pathetic... they average 20ppg, dead last in the NBA. 15% less than the next lowest scoring bench.

Lakers + Giants
04-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Our starters are all playing hurt:

Bynum-ankle
Pau-elbow
Ron-ankle
Kobe-shin
Sessions-shoulder

Our bench is beyond pathetic... they average 20ppg, dead last in the NBA. 15% less than the next lowest scoring bench.

Which is why we're not legit. Contenders are good from top to bottom. We go from Really good to pathetic after our 4 best players.

The only true contenders are the 2 best teams from each conference.

shep33
04-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Which is why we're not legit. Contenders are good from top to bottom. We go from Really good to pathetic after our 4 best players.

The only true contenders are the 2 best teams from each conference.

I agree. I've never seen such a horrible bench in my life

Lakers + Giants
04-07-2012, 01:26 AM
I agree. I've never seen such a horrible bench in my life

I wish we had the bench mob back. :sigh:

kobebabe
04-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Contenders....mmmmhhh, not sure. But we are for sure a team that no contender would wonna face in a seven game series. I do think OKC and Spurs are a head of the bunch by a good bit. LA's bench will let them down. That's how the give up huge leads

AIRMAR72
04-07-2012, 02:16 AM
No

xxcubs22xx
04-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Lakers would beat chicago in 5-6 games. Okc and miami are the only teams i see beating LA in a 7 game series

:laugh2:

If the Lakers were able to beat Chicago, than they'd be able to beat OKC and Miami.

I don't see the Lakers getting out of the 2nd round of the Playoffs.

Iron24th
04-07-2012, 04:51 AM

If the Lakers were able to beat Chicago, than they'd be able to beat OKC and Miami.

I don't see how chicago is better than miami.
Last time I checked chicago was demolished 4-1 by the heat.

They added Rip Hamilton and Rose is hurt this year and you think that's an upgrade?!?!?! Very good point :facepalm:

Method28
04-07-2012, 04:54 AM
I don't see the Lakers contending in the playoffs unless Kobe Bryant can swallow his pride and utilize the bigs.....which i cant see happening.

StickyGreenFan
04-07-2012, 05:13 AM
****** bench = more minutes for gasol/kobe/bynum = blown leads over and 4th qtr collapses because of fatigue = brief playoff appearence = brown getting fired and gettin coach who knows what hes doin... i think thats pretty much the equation

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-07-2012, 05:20 AM

It's not about who's better, it's all about matchups.

JayW_1023
04-07-2012, 05:46 AM
They can beat anyone in a seven game series.

JayW_1023
04-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Last year Brian Cardinal played a key role on a 'ship team. Go figure.

Rocco007
04-07-2012, 10:51 AM
IMO, yes, they are contenders. There are 5 main contenders in the NBA, the Lakeshow, Thunder, Bulls, Heat and Spurs. The Lakeshow is probably the best 3rd defensive team behind CHI and MIA, and way better defensively than SAS and OKC.

I would add Clippers, Memphis, Dallas and Boston to that list...All capable of putting a good run together...All have a good mix of veterans...Memphis is better than people think...The Clippers will miss Billups' experience though...

sharqstealth
04-07-2012, 11:09 AM
No way... Have you seen them against the Thunder? No competition...

AntiG
04-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Heat, Bulls, Celtics from the east; Thunder, Spurs, Lakers from the west. All are serious contenders, whether due to immense young talents or a ton of veteran experience.

Il Mago50
04-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Heat, Bulls, Celtics from the east; Thunder, Spurs, Lakers from the west. All are serious contenders, whether due to immense young talents or a ton of veteran experience.

Agree on everything except the Celtics. The Celtics would be a contender but their Achilles heel is going to be their downfall, that being their rebounding. I totally understood the Perkins trade since they knew what he was and didn't want to give him money he wasn't worth but that instantly took them from serious contender to a team that will struggle to beat good teams in a playoff series. Without a legitimate big man to crash the boards, they don't stand a chance.

Il Mago50
04-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I would add Clippers, Memphis, Dallas and Boston to that list...All capable of putting a good run together...All have a good mix of veterans...Memphis is better than people think...The Clippers will miss Billups' experience though...

Fully agree on Memphis. Like I mentioned earlier, they have arguably three perimeter guys in Conley, Allen and Gay that could make an all-defensive team, something that's critical when in the West with its plethora of talented wings.

They create turnovers.

They have a solid bench with OJ Mayo anchoring it.

They have two all-star post players, both top 5 at their position when healthy.

Good coaching.

Grizzlies are a well rounded and very talented team. I see them as being giant killers come playoff time because I see them capable of easily beating OKC, the Spurs, and probably the Lakers in a seven game series.

Like someone mentioned above, it'll all be about match-ups and if I were the Spurs, I'd hate to face Memphis or a healthy Denver in first round, same goes for the Lakers and OKC (although OKC could beat Denver in 5-6)

The Final Boss
04-07-2012, 11:24 AM
No...

Lol You need your license revoked. I read some stupid posts in the NBA Forum, but c'mon.

The Final Boss
04-07-2012, 11:30 AM

Right, especially with all of the minutes they're going to rack up in the playoffs. :rolleyes: Dude, everyone in the forum is right, you don't have a clue about the game.

The Final Boss
04-07-2012, 11:32 AM
top 5 contenders
1.a heat
1.b thunder
1.c bulls
2. spurs
3. lakers

lol @ thinking the Spurs are better than Los Angeles.

Il Mago50
04-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Right, especially with all of the minutes they're going to rack up in the playoffs. :rolleyes: Dude, everyone in the forum is right, you don't have a clue about the game.

I don't or someone else doesn't?

All I know is that the game is 48 mins long, of which at any given time you're going to have either Gasol, Bynum and Bryant on the floor at the same time, two of those three, or Bynum with a few spot up shooters like Blake on the floor while the offense runs through him.

For the Lakers, all they honestly need to have from their bench to be legit contenders is defense and rebounding.

Think about it.

You have 28-30 coming from Kobe, 20-25 from Bynum, 16-20 from Gasol, 10-15 from Sessions on a given night while taking the majority of the shots. That adds up to 74-90 points coming from those four, with the 80 point range being probably where those four guys end up usually.

Therefore, to have an effective post season offense, you really only need about 15-18 points from their bench and Metta in order to compete on that basis. If you look at OKC, they're set up the same way with Westbrook-Harden-Durant averaving about 80 points on the season between the three of them.

From your other 3-5 players that'll see the court, you need them to fill roles. For Metta, you need him to play his *** off on defense and be able to finish on any cuts he makes that are met with a pass from Sessions. From Barnes, you also need the defense and rebounding he brings along with his ability to make the corner 3. From Blake, you need him to run the second unit which he has shown he can and to hit his little corner threes which he has throughout his career. And finally, from JMR and Murphy, you need them to grab boards.

They don't need the bench to score because they will always have two very good scoring options on the floor and will merely need 3 other guys on the floor that can hit an open J and play tough on defense.

Avenged
04-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Huh??:confused: Never heard anyone say that.

The bench will get minutes.. unless you think the starting 5 will play all 48... :confused:

The Final Boss
04-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Contenders....mmmmhhh, not sure. But we are for sure a team that no contender would wonna face in a seven game series. I do think OKC and Spurs are a head of the bunch by a good bit. LA's bench will let them down. That's how the give up huge leads

When are people going to stop with the whole "7 game series" talk? What other kind of system is there in the playoffs?

Ty Fast
04-07-2012, 12:13 PM
both la teams need a new coach

shep33
04-07-2012, 12:26 PM
The bench is horrible. Nobody can hit a 3. Starters have been logging heavy minutes, especially Kobe and Pau

king4day
04-07-2012, 12:29 PM
I think the OP answered his own question as to why LA isn't being taken seriously. All those flaws are not easily fixable.

3RDASYSTEM
04-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Being to 3 straight Finals minus ODOM this time around but still have top 3 rotation players and all are ALLSTARs with GASOL basically being an ALLSTAR since i want to say he made past few squads outside of this yr, so many have KOBE being a top 10 of alltime and top 5 right now and leading league in scoring and 1a center in league with one of only 2 true 7foot skilled bigs who play on block and perimeter...i would say you have a hell of a chance, regards of how much media pub team is getting..neg or pos

Ebbs
04-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Their not a favorite but yea absolutely if they get hot and come together they could win it all.

Bynum is an animal, Gasol is the best 2 way power forward in basketball, and Kobe is other world talented if he just trusted his team mates.

torocan
04-07-2012, 01:32 PM
I think folks are overthinking it.

The Lakers are like the Celtics in some ways, loaded with wiley Veterans that have tons of playoff experience that have been to the show before.

Favorites? No. However, only the foolish ever count them out.

On any given night, you can face a nightmare team in the playoffs that can give enough to get them through just about anyone.

It's not something you can simply put on paper or even by measuring the regular season stats.

I don't think they'll win, but let's just say experience has taught me that you can never write those sorts of teams off. You just never know when they'll go into another gear and start playing Championship basketball.

I would be surprised if the Lakers ended up the in the finals. I wouldn't be completely shocked either.

FraziersKnicks
04-07-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't see them as legit contenders.. I don't see them getting past the Spurs, Thunder, Mavs and potentially the Grizzlies in the West.

FraziersKnicks
04-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Their not a favorite but yea absolutely if they get hot and come together they could win it all.

Bynum is an animal, Gasol is the best 2 way power forward in basketball, and Kobe is other world talented if he just trusted his team mates.

Gasol is not a good defender.. Dirk, Love, Aldridge and even Bosh are better defenders, making them better TWO-WAY players.

Twins Fanatic
04-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Of course they are, they are the Lakers.

RaiderLakersA's
04-07-2012, 08:27 PM
If we make a deep run into the playoffs this year I'll be very VERY surprised. From the coaching to the bench, I just don't see this being a title year.

Of course, I'm more than happy to be proved wrong. :)

Mcdoh
04-07-2012, 08:47 PM
contenders but not one of the favorites.. we are lacking in bench production..

willabeast77
04-07-2012, 09:10 PM
I dont see them passing the first round, and I dont see them staying in the 3rd seed.

naps
04-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Yes as long as Kobe takes under 18 FG a game and as long as Bynum and Gasol are more involved in the offense. I can't believe the best offensive center in the game is taking only 12 shots a game while being supremely efficient. Kobe-Gasol-Bynum is a perfect trio and should be able to beat any trios if one of them wasn't selfish. But I know as well as anybody that's not gonna change no matter how good the twin towers are.

Jays Claw
04-07-2012, 10:39 PM
The Lakers are my darkhorse to win it all despite being strong contenders amongst Western Conference teams. Them advancing to at least the WCF's will all depend on matchups. Teams like Memphis and OKC have enough fire power to run them out of the building, in embarrassing fashion. I think the Lakers' biggest weakness will be their bench productivity/overall offensive flow. Kobe can't be taking up 85% of the team's field-goal attempts.

shep33
04-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Lakers bench at half... outscored 40-6

KingPosey
04-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Anyone who makes the playoffs imo has the potential to win

youre crazy.

LegendX
04-08-2012, 12:00 AM
As long as they have Kobe they will always contend, the issue is the supporting cast (outside of Pau and Andrew). When they come across a deeper a roster then they'll have problems - most likely - but as someone said, it depends entirely on the matchups.

C-Style
04-08-2012, 12:09 AM
I would have liked their chances if they had the 2nd best record in the West, WCF is the furthest I see them going. & even if they get to the Finals, they would be out of gas!

3ballbomber
04-08-2012, 06:52 AM
no depth = no ship

KB-Pau-DH2012
04-08-2012, 07:28 AM
no depth = no ship

You do know come playoff time, when the rotations shorten, only the top 8 or 9 players on the team actually play.

C-Style
04-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Yes as long as Kobe takes under 18 FG a game and as long as Bynum and Gasol are more involved in the offense. I can't believe the best offensive center in the game is taking only 12 shots a game while being supremely efficient. Kobe-Gasol-Bynum is a perfect trio and should be able to beat any trios if one of them wasn't selfish. But I know as well as anybody that's not gonna change no matter how good the twin towers are.

Hey troll, that trio made it to the Finals 3 times, led by that selfish guy.

LakersIn5
04-08-2012, 12:56 PM
lakers need a backup 2 that can score. actually just a backup that can score would be a big help

ldawg
04-08-2012, 01:24 PM
I feel La can win it all but it will depends on two things. 1st is Mike brown has to play some of the players that i feel can help and provide a solid change of pace in E-banks and Goudlock with Sessions. The second thing that need to happen is because of the Odom lost Bnum must do a better job than he is doing, I know he is putting up decent numbers but its not affecting the game enough. He don't go to the free throw line that suggest he is not aggressive enough. He is also not playing good defense to slow to get back. I rather him play hard on both end and get gas than to play slow to remain in the game longer to get easy points. He has subs on the bench. He also has to play smarter he is acting like a school girl. sorry school girls no pun. The sad thing about the NBA if La is suck then what you call the other 24 teams?

RaiderLakersA's
04-08-2012, 08:52 PM
I think folks are overthinking it.

The Lakers are like the Celtics in some ways, loaded with wiley Veterans that have tons of playoff experience that have been to the show before.

Favorites? No. However, only the foolish ever count them out.

On any given night, you can face a nightmare team in the playoffs that can give enough to get them through just about anyone.

It's not something you can simply put on paper or even by measuring the regular season stats.

I don't think they'll win, but let's just say experience has taught me that you can never write those sorts of teams off. You just never know when they'll go into another gear and start playing Championship basketball.

I would be surprised if the Lakers ended up the in the finals. I wouldn't be completely shocked either.

I'd agree with you if Brown was a Doc Rivers-type coach. I'm not sure that we have that. But we'll see. I'd love for the Lakers to catch lightning in a bottle and get another banner in the rafters.

Il Mago50
04-09-2012, 12:08 PM
I'd agree with you if Brown was a Doc Rivers-type coach. I'm not sure that we have that. But we'll see. I'd love for the Lakers to catch lightning in a bottle and get another banner in the rafters.

Brown might not be Doc but he has vastly improved their defense. If you think about what they won their first two titles with, they did it with Kobe, Pau, Odom off of the bench and a notably smaller contribution from Bynum. After those guys, their depth was still a big question mark.

Now, although Zen is gone, you've got a dynamic point guard, two of the top 6-8 big men in the game, Kobe and a bunch of well fitting role pieces. Outside of consistent outside shooting to spread the floor (which could easily change if anyone has seen Goudelock shoot and Blake's already decent ability) and I don't see how they still can't legitimately win the title.

Il Mago50
04-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Fact of the matter is that they match up well with OKC in a playoff series. They have several mismatches they can exploit against the Spurs to beat them. THey match up well with the Grizzlies.

In the East, they could go toe to toe with the Bulls in a series and it would be close and against the Heat, they would have a legitimate shot due to their overwhelming size advantage and the presence of Metta and Barnes to cause problems for Wade and Lebron.

It's going to an interesting playoffs.