PDA

View Full Version : Will Marlins Ballpark Be The Petco of The East Coast

Cosmic_Canon
04-05-2012, 04:07 PM
From last night's game, I saw Stanton hit bombs that were just shy of the warning track. W/ that said, should I trade Stanton, and will the Marlins Ballpark be a detriment to power hitters?

Pinstripe pride
04-05-2012, 04:09 PM
really? after 1 game? really?

sexicano31
04-05-2012, 04:10 PM
:laugh:

dodgersuck
04-05-2012, 04:12 PM
No but I do think it is the biggest eye sore in the NL

RTL
04-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I don't recall PetCo having flamboyant dolphins in the OF

04-05-2012, 04:20 PM
I don't recall PetCo having flamboyant dolphins in the OF

They have Shamu.

Cosmic_Canon
04-05-2012, 04:23 PM
really? after 1 game? really?

Have you seen the dimensions bro? The walls are like 30ft high.

sexicano31
04-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Where was this thread when Citi Field opened?

vladdy#27
04-05-2012, 04:30 PM
I thought for sure 2 of Stanton's hits were gone but they were just fly outs to CF. But it was only one game so I wouldnt make any rash decisions

Jeffy25
04-05-2012, 04:42 PM
It is a fairly neutral ballpark, not as big as Petco.

You can't judge a ballpark based on one game where there were some deep fly outs to center field.

As it heats up (not to mention the difference opening and closing the windows and roof will do) things will change.

It is somewhat pitcher friendly, but not very much.

Jeffy25
04-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Well Berkman thinks it's too big

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20383841&topic_id=&c_id=stl&v=3&tcid=tw_video_20383841

gotoHcarolina52
04-05-2012, 05:04 PM
It's cavernous with the roof and outfield panels open, as the ballpark faces eastward and there's a strong breeze that blows in from the coast.

It should play very differently with the roof and panels closed.

BrianWestKins
04-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Lohse said he loved it too, but as a hitter he would hate it. Obviously just one game, and it should get better with the warmer weather like jeffy said

metsrock229
04-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Well Berkman thinks it's too big

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20383841&topic_id=&c_id=stl&v=3&tcid=tw_video_20383841

Thanks for posting that, definitely found his input interesting and I absolutely agree. I don't mind the whole stepping forward deal, but cheerleaders and all that don't belong at baseball games.

Yankee Clipper
04-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Based on one game? Let's see how things play out first before we rush to decisions like that.

NateyB24
04-05-2012, 05:32 PM
I would have concerns CF is what 418 FT? Safeco is considered a pitchers park and our CF is only 405 FT.

BUMS IN QUEENS
04-05-2012, 07:45 PM
I wish they could make it even bigger so that statue could be further away from the field.

But yeah, I agree with Berkman--these large stadiums don't work. The Mets front office was roasted every single year over the initial Citi Field dimensions, ultimately conceding a mistake by moving them in.

This isn't the old days when quirky dimensions were a necessity because of aging ballpark limitations. These days there's really no good reason to build lopsided stadiums. Parks should be fair to both pitchers and hitters imo.

Jeffy25
04-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I would have concerns CF is what 418 FT? Safeco is considered a pitchers park and our CF is only 405 FT.

That isn't why.

It's your air.

Jeffy25
04-05-2012, 07:54 PM
From Bernie Mik (Cards writer)

* OK, let's talk about Marlins Park. What did I think about baseball's newest ballpark? Well there's noise. Lots and lots of noise, and things exploding. Garish colors. Showgirls. Plastic dolphins, and more pink flamingos than a John Waters movie. Real tropical fish, swimming in florescent aquariums behind home plate. It’s baseball bling.
There’s nothing subtle in the world’s largest outdoor disco. It is a festival of art deco, a tribute to tackiness, a fitting monument to the short attention span culture. The actual game will be a secondary concern for many who buy tickets to Marlins games. The glitz is No. 1, the food and drink will be No. 2, and at best baseball is No. 3. And that’s OK; I wouldn’t expect South Florida to have a bricks-and-mortar ballpark with baseball-savvy customers that sit there, analyzing each pitch, dutifully keeping score, and pondering strategy. There's no baseball tradition in Miami, so why would we expect a yard that represents the old-time baseball ideal that so many fans and media hold near and dear?
With an emphasis on the cosmetic, this new stadium personifies the wretched but entertaining excess of South Beach. That's why I like it, because the venue is absolutely right for this market. In that context, it's a success.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-bytes-first-impression-of-cardinals/article_896d4324-7f21-11e1-ada7-0019bb30f31a.html#ixzz1rDHc234x

Personally, I think it's awful.

The art and colors that is. The stadium itself is nice from the outside, the technology, and layout.

But the colors and art and center field what the **** it is, is awful. Very awful.

utl768
04-05-2012, 08:13 PM
the stadium was a gigantic waste of money

there was nothing physically wrong with sun life stadium the marlins were just too stupid and negotiated a horrendous lease

also regardless of the stadium the club still has little to no fans

they built the stadium in a horrendous neighborhood because jeffery loria was too cheap to secure land in better parts of south florida

H-MYK
04-05-2012, 08:16 PM
It's too early to tell, I wish they get rid of that stupid homerun celebration though.

h2r09
04-05-2012, 08:38 PM

there was nothing physically wrong with sun life stadium the marlins were just too stupid and negotiated a horrendous lease

they built the stadium in a horrendous neighborhood because jeffery loria was too cheap to secure land in better parts of south florida

you got just about nothing correct in this post.

DodgerBlue82
04-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Maybe Stanton was trying not to hit a homer to save fans from seeing that god awful clusterf*ck they have behind the outfield? :shrug:

h2r09
04-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Maybe Stanton was trying not to hit a homer to save fans from seeing that god awful clusterf*ck they have behind the outfield? :shrug:

its pretty cool when it actually moves and lights up but just way to big.

gotoHcarolina52
04-05-2012, 10:05 PM

The part about Loria being cheap is true. The part about the stadium being a waste of money might end up being true. The rest of your post is ****.

dtmagnet
04-05-2012, 10:27 PM
The part about Loria being cheap is true. The part about the stadium being a waste of money might end up being true. The rest of your post is ****.

Yeah because the Marlins always pack the stands full of fans...

Wrigheyes4MVP
04-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Its like the Marlins are trying their best to look ugly lol

Their uniforms and stadium are a joke lol

Wrigheyes4MVP
04-05-2012, 11:34 PM
That stadium is huge...IDC how the air plays out.

Monster walls and giant gaps. Its like Citi all over again. It could help Reyes, but not worth it overall.

Jeffy25
04-06-2012, 12:01 AM

You realize that the city paid for like 90% of that stadium, right?

THINKBLUE15
04-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Petco is gorgeous
Marlins Park is a POS

04-06-2012, 12:10 AM
If Cisco Field is ever built it would easily surpass Marlins Park. That is how you do a nice small (in terms of capacity) stadium.

Young2Kinsler
04-06-2012, 12:11 AM
I would just cut him, he can't hit in that park ever.

Jeffy25
04-06-2012, 12:12 AM
They were smart to make seating capacity less, it makes it less obvious to those watching that nobody has shown up lol.

Joe505
04-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Buster Olney is an idiot. Two games in and we're dictating that this is going to be a pitcher's park? JOKE!

NateyB24
04-06-2012, 12:43 AM
That isn't why.

It's your air.

I disagree about the air part because it doesn't really affect left handed hitters we need to move the fences in at Safeco.

GiantsNinersW's
04-06-2012, 01:59 AM
I remember there being a bunch of home runs at AT&T during its first week or so. And now it's one of the best pitching parks in the game. It's too soon to tell how it will play.

Cosmic_Canon
04-06-2012, 07:39 AM
If Cisco Field is ever built it would easily surpass Marlins Park. That is how you do a nice small (in terms of capacity) stadium.

From the dimesnions I read, it seems otherwise. 345 Right-center, yikes. CF looks very similar to Orioles Park.

Pinstripe pride
04-06-2012, 09:35 AM

bingo

Pinstripe pride
04-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Have you seen the dimensions bro? The walls are like 30ft high.

yes i understand, but lets see them play in it a bit before we see how hard it is to hit there. there more to that than just dimensions. you could have 50 foot walls in colorado for example, people are still going to bomb them out of there.

younggunn113
04-06-2012, 09:59 AM
yes i understand, but lets see them play in it a bit before we see how hard it is to hit there. there more to that than just dimensions. you could have 50 foot walls in colorado for example, people are still going to bomb them out of there.

You don't need to see them play in it a bit to understand how big this stadium is. The stadium is huge. Watching Stanton's ball getting caught in center said it all. As a Mets' fan I watched a lot of players break into their HR trot, only to have their ball get caught on the warning track or even before. It's going to mess with players mental game as well. Say what you want now, but I've seen this movie before and I know the ending. Over under 3 years until the walls are moved in?

Pinstripe pride
04-06-2012, 10:48 AM
You don't need to see them play in it a bit to understand how big this stadium is. The stadium is huge. Watching Stanton's ball getting caught in center said it all. As a Mets' fan I watched a lot of players break into their HR trot, only to have their ball get caught on the warning track or even before. It's going to mess with players mental game as well. Say what you want now, but I've seen this movie before and I know the ending. Over under 3 years until the walls are moved in?

i get that its hge, but that doesn't mean its going to be as bad as petco. there are other factors besides just size. lets see how it plays out before we start saying its petco part 2

stupidmop
04-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Just for laughs, when I first read the title of this thread I thought the OP was asking: "Will the Marlins' Park end up being a new park that is always empty?"

I.e. Petco.

stupidmop
04-06-2012, 11:33 AM
I.e. Petco.

Except, of course, when the Dodgers or Giants play there and their fans fill the place.:p

younggunn113
04-06-2012, 11:55 AM
i get that its hge, but that doesn't mean its going to be as bad as petco. there are other factors besides just size. lets see how it plays out before we start saying its petco part 2

I understand that, but there's no reason to think why it might play differently. You mentioned Coors, but you need to take the high altitude into affect (humidifier and all). Another poster mentioned the wind from the bay or ocean has an affect with the windows open, but more games than not are going to have the windows and roof open than closed. That wind will likely be there. I am not exactly calling it Petco 2.0, but more like Citi 2.0. Reyes is going to have a ton of triples, you'll see a lot of doubles as well. You will see a lot of should be homers getting caught at the track and a dip in power numbers for Hanley, Stanton, etc. It will be great for the Marlins' pitchers numbers, but it will be just a beneficial for visiting teams.

nycsports2
04-06-2012, 12:12 PM
1 game but i do think its def going to hurt power hitters i thought some of those balls were gone

h2r09
04-06-2012, 12:40 PM
when the roof is open and there is a breeze off the ocean then yes, it will play like it did wednesday.

when the roof was closed like the yankee exhibition games the ball flies out of there. not a big deal, especially since it will be closed just about every game.

nithanyo
04-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Just cus it doesnt seem conventianal doesnt meen its ugly. I llike the ballpark. They could have gone with something other than that thing in CF but thats just me.

LASportsFan1996
04-06-2012, 09:25 PM
It's So Ugly

DjD3990
04-06-2012, 09:53 PM
From last night's game, I saw Stanton hit bombs that were just shy of the warning track. W/ that said, should I trade Stanton, and will the Marlins Ballpark be a detriment to power hitters?

If anything I would say that title would have to go to Citi Field. Even with the walls moved in it still appears to be a pitchers park.

joseph aka Jman
04-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Petco is gorgeous
Marlins Park is a POS

This

LAOwnsAll15
04-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Players WILL lose HR's at that ballpark.
I dont thnk anyone is debating that, Hell it was the first game there and Stanton lost what looked like 2 homers.

OFC this doesnt mean that players wont figure out how to hit in that specific ballpark, but it will randomly take homers from players.

Its a stupid idea to force lower homeruns by building bigger staduims. Homeruns MAKE baseball for alot of people.

utl768
04-08-2012, 12:56 AM
You realize that the city paid for like 90% of that stadium, right?

exactly

people in florida including myselfs tax dollars will go to pay for a stadium for a team that no one cares about

jeffery loria belongs in jail for fraud

he pocketed like 300 million in profits since 2002 and then basically had him and his stooges stand at city hall and ask for a handout

sexicano31
04-08-2012, 01:07 AM
exactly

people in florida including myselfs tax dollars will go to pay for a stadium for a team that no one cares about

he pocketed like 300 million in profits since 2002 and then basically had him and his stooges stand at city hall and ask for a handout
Why should he go to jail? The committee demanded that he open his books for the city to see and he refused. They still approved the funding so how is that his fault?

utl768
04-08-2012, 01:29 AM
Why should he go to jail? The committee demanded that he open his books for the city to see and he refused. They still approved the funding so how is that his fault?

still pretty shady

almost everyone involved in the deal has been forced out of office

sexicano31
04-08-2012, 02:46 AM
Shady yes, illegal? Probably not. If it was illegal then I'm sure charges would have been filed. As of now, they havent(I believe) and the blame is on the city

gotoHcarolina52
04-08-2012, 04:15 AM
exactly

Are you a tourist? :eyebrow:

Jeffy25
04-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Shady yes, illegal? Probably not. If it was illegal then I'm sure charges would have been filed. As of now, they havent(I believe) and the blame is on the city

Yup.

Nothing was done illegally (that we know of yet). Shady and unfair? Hell yes. But the city is completely to blame for this, not Loria, he was just taking advantage of the roads made for him.

kmo429
04-08-2012, 12:52 PM
It may be early... but yes!

422 to straight away C, 392 to RCF and 386 to LCF, and 344 down the LF line and 335 down the RF line, factor in the oft-humid air of south florida, its gonna be a pitchers park definitely in terms of the homerun category

h2r09
04-08-2012, 01:47 PM
funny how that guy is complaining about loria.

should he purposely try to get a worse deal for himself? he and samson are damn good businessmen for getting that stadium deal.

utl768
04-08-2012, 01:56 PM
funny how that guy is complaining about loria.

should he purposely try to get a worse deal for himself? he and samson are damn good businessmen for getting that stadium deal.

there con artists who lied to the city for years

they did the same thing in montreal

SportsAndrew25
04-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I need a much bigger sample size, but for now, I would say yes. There were some balls that really sounded like they were gone.

sexicano31
04-08-2012, 01:59 PM
What did he lie to Miami about?

h2r09
04-08-2012, 02:20 PM
It's So Ugly

if you want to hate on the team and ownership thats one thing, but there is no way you can look at that building and say that with a straight face. thats just plain stupid.

THINKBLUE15
04-08-2012, 06:06 PM
if you want to hate on the team and ownership thats one thing, but there is no way you can look at that building and say that with a straight face. thats just plain stupid.

He can think whatever he wants about the stadium.

The exterior is nice. The inside is a joke.

Dr.Philly
04-08-2012, 10:53 PM

this x1000

Willy Wonka could of made a better ball park