PDA

View Full Version : Cuban: Make players stay 3 years in NCAA

NYKnickFanatic
04-05-2012, 01:50 PM
DALLAS -- NBA commissioner David Stern and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, a pair of basketball power brokers who have differed on plenty of topics over the years, agree that they'd like to get rid of the one-and-done trend with draft prospects.

The rules currently require an American player to be at least 19 years old and a year out of high school before he can declare for the NBA draft, which is why the lottery is littered with phenoms coming off their college freshman seasons each year.

Stern said Tuesday that he'd like to add a year to the rule. Cuban wants to take it a step further, requiring players to wait three years after their high school class graduates to become draft-eligible.

"I just think there's every good reason to do it, which is obviously why we didn't do it," Cuban said sarcastically, adding that Kentucky fans were the only people who like the one-and-done concept.

It's a moot point unless the players' union agrees to change the draft-eligibility rules, something the NBA didn't make a priority while negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement during the lockout. At this point, the union has agreed only to form a committee to discuss changes.

Cuban's opinion is based on what would be best for the NBA as a business, but college basketball also would benefit greatly from such a rule. Cuban believes that requiring a three-year wait to declare for the NBA draft would prevent players from making poor decisions that affect the rest of their lives, as well as help rid the sport of corruption among player agents.

"I just think there's a lot more kids that get ruined coming out early or going to school trying to be developed to come out early than actually make it," Cuban said. "For every Kobe (Bryant) or (Kevin) Garnett or Carmelo (Anthony) or LeBron (James), there's 100 Lenny Cookes."

Lenny Cooke was a New York high school star who wasn't selected after declaring for the 2002 draft. He never played a minute in the NBA.

"Then you say, what about the kids that aren't college material or whatever?" Cuban said. "I think then we just put them in the D-League for three years and then they become draft-eligible with their class.

"They could go to Europe if they want, like Brandon Jennings. That'd be fine. There is nothing that I would like better than to throw our problems on FIBA. Then we'd get some of our money's worth with them."

Many of the NBA's biggest stars are players who came to the league straight out of high school, before the age limit was instituted in 2005, or spent only one season in college. However, there have been plenty of lottery-pick busts who entered the league under those circumstances, too.

"It's not even so much about lottery busts," Cuban said. "It's about kids' lives that we're ruining. Even if you're a first-round pick and you have three years of guaranteed money -- or two years now of guaranteed money -- then what? Because if you're a bust and it turns out you just can't play in the NBA, your 'Rocks for Jocks' one year of schooling isn't going to get you real far.

"I just don't think it takes into consideration the kids enough. Obviously, I think there's significant benefit for the NBA. It's not my decision to make, but that's my opinion on it."

Cuban also would like to expand the NBA draft from two to four rounds. He envisions the D-League being used more like the way Major League Baseball uses its minor leagues -- as a true feeder system -- although there would be several non-draft-eligible D-League players whose rights weren't owned by NBA teams under his proposal.

"I just don't think we do it the right way by a long shot," Cuban said. "We shoot ourselves in the forehead."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7778070/dallas-mavericks-mark-cuban-make-players-stay-3-years-ncaa

BullsFTW
04-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Would love that for the Bulls. We have the Bobcats Pick that will be unprotected in 2016, coincidentally the same year Jabari Parker will be eligible if the age rule changes.

gotoHcarolina52
04-05-2012, 01:54 PM
As a Duke fan, I'm all for it. Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers on the same team = :drool:

Then again, we still wouldn't get by Kentucky, so . . . :(

Rivera
04-05-2012, 01:56 PM
NBA should adpot baseballs rules on the draft. It would benifit everyone

Baller1
04-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I understand people's reasoning for wanting kids to stay in college, but the fact is that there are a lot of players ready for the NBA after a one and done. I say leave it the way it is.

xnick5757
04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
So Cuban wants to deny adults who want to work for a living the ability to get a job? doesn't seem right to me...

shep33
04-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Disagree with Cubes. I'm with Stephen A. Smith on this. If you can join the Army and fight violent battles overseas at the age of 18, why can't you go straight out of high school to make a buck? This is America... these guys are adults and can make a decision on their own

Hypocritical in my opinion.

CudiOnMyiPod
04-05-2012, 02:03 PM
It should be this way:

Kids can come straight out of high school if they want but if they go to college, they should stay at least 2 years.

xnick5757
04-05-2012, 02:05 PM
It should be this way:

Kids can come straight out of high school if they want but if they go to college, they should stay at least 2 years.

that would be awful. you would have kids coming out who weren't ready because they wouldn't want to stay for two years.

they need to go back to the old system, right out of high school. that way the elite players play right away and the others improve their game in college.

CudiOnMyiPod
04-05-2012, 02:08 PM
that would be awful. you would have kids coming out who weren't ready because they wouldn't want to stay for two years.

they need to go back to the old system, right out of high school. that way the elite players play right away and the others improve their game in college.

You have the perfect plan. I am wrong.

torocan
04-05-2012, 02:09 PM
So Cuban wants to deny adults who want to work for a living jobs? doesn't seem right to me...

What Cuban wants is for the vast majority of those kids who don't make it in the NBA to have an education to fall back on. Sure, a kid like Lebron gets slowed down 2 years, but if they're that good they tear it up in College, or the D-Leagues, or Overseas (and still get paid), or at least get part of an education, THEN they hit the NBA.

It's good for College ball, good for Basketball internationally, good for the kids, and long-term you end up with much more mature athletes (physically and mentally).

I can live with a Lebron showing up at 20 instead of 18 if it means the other 100 kids that don't get drafted are encouraged to get an education or grow up a little before they hit the NBA.

torocan
04-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Disagree with Cubes. I'm with Stephen A. Smith on this. If you can join the Army and fight violent battles overseas at the age of 18, why can't you go straight out of high school to make a buck? This is America... these guys are adults and can make a decision on their own

This is the same America where they can drive at 16, but can't have a beer until they're 21, can't rent a car until they're 25, and can't run for President until they're 35, right?

Lots of sports set age minimums. It's up to the NBA to decide how they want to set theirs. Nothing democratic about it.

carson005
04-05-2012, 02:15 PM
It should be this way:

I've always been in favor of this.

xnick5757
04-05-2012, 02:16 PM
What Cuban wants is for the vast majority of those kids who don't make it in the NBA to have an education to fall back on. Sure, a kid like Lebron gets slowed down 2 years, but if they're that good they tear it up in College, or the D-Leagues, or Overseas (and still get paid), or at least get part of an education, THEN they hit the NBA.

It's good for College ball, good for Basketball internationally, good for the kids, and long-term you end up with much more mature athletes (physically and mentally).

I can live with a Lebron showing up at 20 instead of 18 if it means the other 100 kids that don't get drafted are encouraged to get an education or grow up a little before they hit the NBA.

they are not kids, they are adults. they should be able to make their own life decisions.

shep33
04-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Yeah but nothing is stopping these kids from going back to school if it doesn't pan out in the NBA. Why should student athletes get continual bonuses over regular students?

They should go back to University, take out a loan and get an education if they're serious about going to school.

topdog
04-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Cuban also kind of alludes to keeping players out of trouble by forcing them to remain elgible for more than one semester. This is "professional sports" and most "professional" careers require that you have a four year degree. Staying in college for 3 years for basketball isn't keeping anyone from a career any more than having to have a business degree to have an office job. Plus, Cuban advocates D-league/FIBA for those who spurn college.

My concerns would simply be a Callipari-esque insurance system (in case of serious injury) and an adjusted pay scale to make up for 2 years of previous system earnings.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-05-2012, 02:28 PM

It's for their own benefit.

Shareeb_omac2
04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
So Cuban wants to deny adults who want to work for a living the ability to get a job? doesn't seem right to me...

Being paid millions to play a game is a privilege. No one is saying they can't get a job.

It makes sense for everyone involved to keep players in school for 3 years.

He115ing
04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Keeping kids in college will help their game and their maturity. I am all for this. Its a no brainer imo.

DetWest54
04-05-2012, 02:45 PM
i love this, i hope they go to something like this....many of these college kids listen to the wrong people or think they're ready...but when they hit the nba, they ride and bench and possibly out of the league...there is nothing wrong with acouple more years to grow and improve your game so you reach your full ability

Raph12
04-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Team Kentucky would feast:

PG - Wall
SG - Lamb
SF - MKG
PF - Davis
C - Cousins
6th - Jones

Burkey3472
04-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Just give them the opportunity to go pro after highschool but if they choose college they need to stay for at least 2 years (I wouldn't mind 3 actually).

shep33
04-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Go back to the old system.

AceMan
04-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Honestly I think they should tie it to GPA. Give the players who are smart enough to take advantage of their education a reward. Maybe say if your GPA is at or above the school average you can go pro after one year, but find a way to make sure teachers aren't rigging it. Maybe find a way to make grades at schools like Duke or Carolina or UCLA mean more than at like Kansas or Uconn, but honestly I'd just like to reward players who are smart and mature and punish those who aren't.

FraziersKnicks
04-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Wouldn't affect Cuban.. He only seems interested in acquiring players in their 30's past their primes.

da ThRONe
04-05-2012, 10:09 PM
This is ridiculous. Cuban says it keeps them from making bad decision. You mean like staying in college too long and lowering their draft stock or getting injuried?

Fresno
04-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Honestly I think they should tie it to GPA. Give the players who are smart enough to take advantage of their education a reward. Maybe say if your GPA is at or above the school average you can go pro after one year, but find a way to make sure teachers aren't rigging it. Maybe find a way to make grades at schools like Duke or Carolina or UCLA mean more than at like Kansas or Uconn, but honestly I'd just like to reward players who are smart and mature and punish those who aren't.

Honestly, I have never seen a worse idea than this one for a draft based on talent playing a "sport".

cbreezy34
04-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Should be like the MLB... either come straight out of high school or you have to stay for three years.

Ebbs
04-05-2012, 10:36 PM
In theory I agree with him but I don't think it's super practical for a lot of the kids.

I think 2 changes should be made.

1) If you choose to go to college you must stay for a minimum of 2 years.
2) If you choose to go straight from the high school to the NBA and are not drafted you should keep your college eligibility.

Raph12
04-05-2012, 10:37 PM
I wonder if Cuban knows Melo didn't come out of high school? I know he was a "one-and-done" in Syracuse, but he was the only player that went to college of that group Cuban named...

R8Rfriar
04-05-2012, 11:19 PM

are you insane????????????

A: (throw out Infantry) In the military there is more than 100 careers and not everyone see's the battle field, In the army you get a guarenteed paycheck, housing, medical/dental Insurance, Money for schooling ect...

B: in the NBA you might be a guarenteed millionaire for 2 to 3 years but what happens if you are a Kwame Brown?, Greg oden? shawn bradely?

The NBA is setting them up for failure, the military is helping future's

faridk89
04-05-2012, 11:35 PM

If you call these morons who play in the NBA "adults" than I guess so... These "adults" are boarder line ********

NetSymptom
04-05-2012, 11:51 PM
I think a quasi-baseball draft system could benefit everyone.

For instance, let's pretend Anthony Davis is coming out of high school and the Bobcats have the top pick in the draft. In this situation, the CBA stipulates a player must stay in college for 3 years, but is eligible to be drafted straight out of high school.

Anthony Davis is drafted by the Bobcats, then the Bobcats have his rights for his 3 years in college. Since he's drafted, Davis is eligible for a $150,000 dollar allowance a year through his 3 years in college, then will be set to play out his rookie contract at a prorated cost once he reaches the pros.

This would help solve the scandal/agent problems since a player would be receiving enough money to help his family pay their bills, while also receiving some spending cash to go on trips, buy food and housing, etc... If a player gets hurt, since he still is under contract with the drafting team, he would still receive compensation for any injury sustained in college. Also, instead of receiving a large sum of money from the get go, teams and colleges can help prepare these athletes for their future millionaire earnings and teach them proper saving technique and money management.

NBA teams could still get a free minor league system that would help develop players and give them a better education. NCAA gets players who are staying for 3 years. Drafted players don't feel as much pressure to jump straight out of high school to get the big paychecks and sacrifice losing a proper education.

Just a thought.

topdog
04-05-2012, 11:52 PM
I wonder if Cuban knows Melo didn't come out of high school? I know he was a "one-and-done" in Syracuse, but he was the only player that went to college of that group Cuban named...

The way I read it, it seemed like he was trying to think of a 1-and-done player to make his full point about it's not just guys coming from high school that are generally better off sticking a few years in college.

Bin Laden
04-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Let them come straight from high school or make them stay 4 years

Bin Laden
04-06-2012, 12:03 AM

B: in the NBA you might be a guarenteed millionaire for 2 to 3 years but what happens if you are a Kwame Brown?, Greg oden? shawn bradely?

LMAO umm, you just end up being a bust but still have a long career since you're a big man, thus making millions of dollars

blahblahyoutoo
04-06-2012, 12:11 AM

no, these adults can apply for any job they want.
just in cuban's plan, the PRIVATE employer that is NBA franchises, don't have to hire them.

don't confuse privilege and entitlement.

magic0320
04-06-2012, 12:12 AM
if you can't join military at age of 17 then maybe....come on! really!! don't stop them from making millions of dollars you never know what will happen if you stay in school one or two more years and not be able to earn that millions of dollars because of you get injured.

BKLYNpigeon
04-06-2012, 12:29 AM
sure why not, it will make the NBA and NCAA better.

Im tired of teams drafting unproven players with "Upside" riding the bench, clogging a roster spot and never panning out to anything. making a 19 year old kid a Millionaire can really effect his development.

shep33
04-06-2012, 12:32 AM

A: (throw out Infantry) In the military there is more than 100 careers and not everyone see's the battle field, In the army you get a guarenteed paycheck, housing, medical/dental Insurance, Money for schooling ect...

The NBA is setting them up for failure, the military is helping future's

See I think it depends on the type of person you are, and whether or not your ready for the responsibility. The military does help build people up, but I think if your not ready, and not willing to put 100% in, it's just as much of a road to failure as anything else.

Not everyone in the Military makes it out fine, just like other people entering professions (including pro athletes).

My point is, if you can decide for yourself to join the military at 18, you can probably decide whether or not to enter the NBA draft.

To answer the first question of part B of your statement: If the NBA leads to failure, what's stopping these kids from going back to university to get an education? Heck if anything it just looks better on your college application lol.

TylerSL
04-06-2012, 01:31 AM
why is it that Cuban has to have an oppinion on everything?

TylerSL
04-06-2012, 01:34 AM
besides whats the big deal about the whole thing anyway? The players would benefit by staying a 2nd year, but who really cares? Guys like Durant and Rose stayed 1 year and college and they are both elite players in this league. Just because the NBA hasnt had a good draft class since 2008, doesnt mean they will never have another good Draft class again. Infact this draft class is solid.

NoahH
04-06-2012, 01:39 AM
WHAT THE ****!!!! this is brutal

AceMan
04-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Honestly, I have never seen a worse idea than this one for a draft based on talent playing a "sport".

They'll all get to the NBA eventually, I just like the idea of letting you in earlier if you're mentally ready. A lot of the time what dooms one and done players is that they're stupid and can't handle the NBA mentally. For the players, the biggest reason they blow all of their money is that they're stupid. Force the stupid ones to stay in school so hopefully they'll learn a little money management, but the ones who have proven they can take care of themselves and are at least moderately intelligent get to come out early. Tie it to other things too, if you get arrested you have to stay in school, basically anything that proves you aren't intellectually capable or mature enough to handle making millions of dollars. I don't see what's so wrong with that.

JoeDirt05
04-06-2012, 02:16 AM
As a Duke fan, I'm all for it. Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers on the same team = :drool:

Then again, we still wouldn't get by Kentucky, so . . . :(

rivers should have stayed anyway he needed to grow up more but whatever :sigh:

Fresno
04-06-2012, 03:09 AM
They'll all get to the NBA eventually, I just like the idea of letting you in earlier if you're mentally ready. A lot of the time what dooms one and done players is that they're stupid and can't handle the NBA mentally. For the players, the biggest reason they blow all of their money is that they're stupid. Force the stupid ones to stay in school so hopefully they'll learn a little money management, but the ones who have proven they can take care of themselves and are at least moderately intelligent get to come out early. Tie it to other things too, if you get arrested you have to stay in school, basically anything that proves you aren't intellectually capable or mature enough to handle making millions of dollars. I don't see what's so wrong with that.

I understand your premise but it just doesn't work.

1. You're automatically assuming that all players who stay 1 year in college before heading to the NBA are bad with their money, while those who stay for several years are somehow "smarter" with their money.

2. You suggesting to force the "dumb" ones to stay in school to learn how to manage money? Sorry, but extra years taking part in the college experience isn't going to change anything for them. Spending more years in college only sets these players up to take illegal benefits, which has been the case for a lot of programs. You're forgetting these guys can't work or make any profit for themselves while in college, and many have families back home who are below or barely above the poverty line. Thats a serious trap for a lot of these guys. Being a 1 & Done with NBA potential gives you a big enough star factor, but these guys would be "stars" outside of just college basketball if they are there for 4 years. All of that attention and spotlight on the "star" players is what put Miami & USC's football programs under.

3. Getting arrested should be warranted for being kicked off of a campus, not a reason to be forced to stay on a college campus to play sports.:eyebrow:

Its up to the team who interviews & drafts a player to determine if they are mature enough to handle being a professional basketball player and all that comes with it. That shouldn't be put on the NCAA to decide when they aren't invested in a player the same way an organization paying them a salary is.

Lindystud36
04-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Problem with the Three Year Rule is this:
Kentucky over the past three years, If no One went to the NBA would Have A Starting Line-up of

PG:John Wall/ Brandon Knight/ Lamb/ Teague
SG: Eric Bledsoe
SF: MKG
PF: A.Davis/ Patrick Patterson
C: D.Cousins

That is just off the top of my head, And that team right there dominates the NCAA this year, as Kentucky Dominated this year alone with out players like Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Patterson.

That team could deffinatly beat a pro team--- do we want College Ball to have better quality than the NBA?

iliketurtles24
04-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Problem with the Three Year Rule is this:
Kentucky over the past three years, If no One went to the NBA would Have A Starting Line-up of

PG:John Wall/ Brandon Knight/ Lamb/ Teague
SG: Eric Bledsoe
SF: MKG
PF: A.Davis/ Patrick Patterson
C: D.Cousins

That is just off the top of my head, And that team right there dominates the NCAA this year, as Kentucky Dominated this year alone with out players like Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Patterson.

That team could deffinatly beat a pro team--- do we want College Ball to have better quality than the NBA?

they probably wouldnt have recruited and got the same players if they still have wall, cousins etcs.

iliketurtles24
04-06-2012, 10:17 AM
also i dont here people *****ing about other professional occupations. If a person is really talented surgeon, but they dont have a doctorate in medicine. They will not in a million years become a doctor. There are restrictions to almost every occupation normal people do, so why is it so outrageous for pro sports to have age restrictions if it will help the on court product, the culture of basketball(and america for that matter) and some of these kids can greatly benefit from an education.
These topics still make me sick, they talk about college and education as if it a desease and they dont want anything to do with it. This nation was founded on the belief that every citizen should have a education so they can be a competent person, and a competent citizen.
Ya its a free country, but we still have to have standards and restrictions to live by other wise we would have chaos.

Lindystud36
04-06-2012, 10:22 AM
they probably wouldnt have recruited and got the same players if they still have wall, cousins etcs.

Disagree

If They Knew They would have to stay in school for 3 years, it would behoove them to go to talented teams inorder to get better through practice and offseason training. Imagine a scrimagge where a young A.Davis goes up against a 3rd year DMC

That would only enhance their draft stock, i.e. Enes Kanter practicing with Kentucky.

thapastime7
04-06-2012, 10:25 AM
a college draft and a highschool draft highschool player head to the d league and get a contract but ya have to be drafted not by the player but the team that wants the player meanwhile those that couldnt get drafted go to college for a year or two AND GET DRAFTED TO THE NBA TWO DIFFERENT ROUTES AND YOU ARE RISKING REMAINING IN the d league longer and possibly permanetly if you go to D league. Use d league as a minor league system like baseball

drewl
04-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Disagree

If They Knew They would have to stay in school for 3 years, it would behoove them to go to talented teams inorder to get better through practice and offseason training. Imagine a scrimagge where a young A.Davis goes up against a 3rd year DMC

That would only enhance their draft stock, i.e. Enes Kanter practicing with Kentucky.

Sure it would be nice to have good teammates to practice with. But most athletes would rather the playing time, which is better for players to improve on.

Fresno
04-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Disagree

No. Just No.

No 1 & Done prospect is going to go anywhere to sit on the bench just to get "scrimmage expierence".

They're going to find a team that will allow them to start from Day 1. If some sort of 3 year rule was forced on college players without an option to go pro early, the talent would become far more widespread in college basketball. Just like what happens with Elite QB recruits in college football, there will be schools who would be passing on signing a "big name" each class at their position in favor of waiting for a player they really want to step in and make an impact.

Mentioning Enes Kanter is silly considering he was a Top 5 NBA prospect off of his performance at the Hoop Summit and him practicing as a "student-coach" did nothing for his draft stock.

Sportfan
04-06-2012, 11:05 AM
i like the increased salary rule for players that stay longer in school

Fresno
04-06-2012, 11:07 AM
a college draft and a highschool draft highschool player head to the d league and get a contract but ya have to be drafted not by the player but the team that wants the player meanwhile those that couldnt get drafted go to college for a year or two AND GET DRAFTED TO THE NBA TWO DIFFERENT ROUTES AND YOU ARE RISKING REMAINING IN the d league longer and possibly permanetly if you go to D league. Use d league as a minor league system like baseball

I dont understand this.

The D-League is already the NBA's minor league affiliate.

Secondly, nobody remains in the D-League permanently. Guys come & go frequently in the D-League because the salary is terrible, travel is tough, and they play in front of small crowds. If a guy doesn't expect to get a NBA call-up from the D-League then they'll sign for $100K+ with perks(house, car, insurance, etc) to go play for a team in Europe.

mzgrizz
04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
IMO let them get in the NBA after HS; if they go to college; make them stay two years(an equivalent associate degree) before can be in NBA
More college does not equal more business sense
More talent whatever age = better NBA

HoodedSB
04-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Why make them wait longer if they aren't going to graduate anyway? The one and done rule is bad enough. Lets the scouts determine who is fit to play for nba teams, not some arbitrary waiting period.

Corndog
04-06-2012, 11:57 PM
I don't see how having players stay in college is a bad thing, but it needs to be atleast 3 or nothing at all. Anything in between that is pointless and actually a detriment to college basketball. The one and done thing is worthless and two years isn't much better. The NFL has the right number.

Several other point to support making them go to college for three years

1. No matter how talented they are, most 18 year old players are not mentally mature enough for the game or the lifestyle. There are alot more incidents in the last 10-15 years of bad off court decision making than there every was in the 80s and before. Also college would teach more leadership skills and teamwork, two things lacking in some of the top young talent today. I don't care how good Dwight Howard is, the guy would have learned better fundamentals with college. Even though Lebron is incredibly talented, he still lacks in the mental compartment including playoffs and leadership, I am betting he would be a much more mature player if he would have went to three years.
2. Attitude adjustment, lot of bad attitudes in the NBA these days. Not like the Pistons back in the 80s/90s, just the me me me attitude. I think college would atleast help alot of these great talents humble themselves. Like the guys that don't care what the fans think, well imagine living with 30,000 of them, I bet he would care then. It would also humble them, much more than getting paid millions right out of high school.
3. They would be robbed of millions? They are adults and can do what they want! :cry: Most of the top paying jobs in America require atleast a Bachleor's Degree, but usually a Master's. They would just have to live like the rest of us, poor guys.
4. The fans would recognize star players from college ball. These days the NBA/college fans are becoming more and more divided, but if great players stayed for three years and made a name for themselves in college it would carry on to the NBA. The same would go for college of course. It would be a win/win situation. Look at Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Micheal Jordan, and Patrick Ewing. They were national stars before even reaching the NBA.
5. The NBA draft would actually matter again to the casual fan. Look at the NFL, draft day is huge and gets amazing ratings. The NBA could once again be at this level, or atleast somewhat close. Most people don't even know what month it is.

C_Mund
04-07-2012, 12:19 AM

I see where the argument resides but that's flawed logic. The government sets age limits for things like drinking, driving, military...etc. This is the NBA, it's a corporation and they can set whatever rules they want to better their business.
I think three years is a but much and we haven't really even had enough time with the one-and-done limit to make an educated judgement. But to be honest, the D-League thing for kids who "aren't the college type" isn't the worst idea. At least then they can play against some people with NBA experience and learn the rules/pace of the game before they are drafted.

C_Mund
04-07-2012, 12:23 AM
...also it would inject some youth and talent into the D-league, maybe make it more marketable.

Fnom11
04-07-2012, 12:55 AM

You couldn't be more wrong about why Cuban wants this. He wants it because it'll weed out the busts of the drafts. A large amount of players have an amazing season in college and come into the NBA and flat out fail. If they were forced to stay 3 years you'll know just who exactly had a fluke year and who is actually the real deal.

Basically the Odens/Beasleys/Kwames wouldn't be wasted picks. But that ultimately falls on the front office and whoever decides to pick those guys.

My opinion is you should have to be 18, just like the army. Too much money is generated off of NCAA ball and the players get none of it and that to me is slavery. Forcing them to do 3 years is crazy.

smiddy012
04-07-2012, 01:04 AM
This would be best for the league and players imo. Look how many pre-madonnas we got running around the league with no college education or just one year, I admit one year is an upgrade from none but three years would help much more. Age 19 or so is too young to handle all the stardom and money IMO, of course there are exceptions, but they are in the (mature) minority. 19 year old, humble millionaires are few and far between in today's age.