PDA

View Full Version : Could a starting 5 of non-allstar players win a championship?

Run&Gun
04-04-2012, 11:16 PM
My question is if you have a starting 5 of players who have not made an Allstar team could they win a championship? List those players too, my 5 would be

PG. John Wall
SG. James Harden
SF. Rudy Gay
PF. Josh Smith
C. Al Jefferson

I personally think that this team could win a championship, prob. not for sure but def. possible. What do you guys think?

Matrix3132
04-04-2012, 11:31 PM
My question is if you have a starting 5 of players who have not made an Allstar team could they win a championship? List those players too, my 5 would be

PG. John Wall
SG. James Harden
SF. Rudy Gay
PF. Josh Smith
C. Al Jefferson

I personally think that this team could win a championship, prob. not for sure but def. possible. What do you guys think?

If they were contenders they'd have all star players, the top teams always have all stars.

Kind of like how Iggy was an all star this year, even though his stats look questionable to some, he just does so much for a team that was playing great ball without a "star" in the traditional sense

TheNumber37
04-04-2012, 11:39 PM
not with John wall at pg.
but sure, an all NBA all star snub team could compete.

torocan
04-04-2012, 11:45 PM

PG. John Wall
SG. James Harden
SF. Rudy Gay
PF. Josh Smith
C. Al Jefferson

A better question is whether 10 people who aren't all stars/all NBA can win?

Sure. There's always debate over players who get snubbed for the all-star or all team selection. Put 10 of them together on start + bench and a good coach, and they would honestly annihilate most teams.

Alot of teams are top heavy (2-3 stars/super stars and medium/above average role players). The one's that are "super deep", might have 1 superstar, 1-2 "stars" and lots of above average players.

10 guys just below "all star" or "all nba team" who are motivated to play both ends of the floor and well coached can compete with just about anyone I think.

shyfly24
04-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Didn't the Pistons do it in 04? I'm not to sure but I don't think they had an all star that year

AIsixersFK
04-04-2012, 11:47 PM
If they were contenders they'd have all star players, the top teams always have all stars.

Kind of like how Iggy was an all star this year, even though his stats look questionable to some, he just does so much for a team that was playing great ball without a "star" in the traditional sense

This. And the Sixers are a team of non-all star players. I think Iggy only really made it because of the lack of respect he got in previous years and the team was winning. They are a first round exit at best.

kenzo400
04-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Didn't the Pistons do it in 04? I'm not to sure but I don't think they had an all star that year

Yes they did. But then they changed the rules, so refs can give bs calls to superstars. Not sure if it can be done anymore. It's would be a lot harder now.

FraziersKnicks
04-04-2012, 11:52 PM
PG: Stephen Curry/Kyle Lowry
SG: Monta Ellis/James Harden
SF: Rudy Gay/Josh Smith
PF: Paul Millsap/Serge Ibaka
C: Tyson Chandler/DeMarcus Cousins

Yes.. That team would win the NBA title

Raph12
04-04-2012, 11:54 PM
If they have the best players that haven't ever made an AS team from 1-12? Then yes, easily.

PG - Irving/Wall
SG - Manu/Harden/Monta
SF - Gay/JSmoove
PF - ZBo/Lee
C - Big Al/Monroe/Gortat

If you only consider the starting lineup + scrubs, then no, they can't.

FraziersKnicks
04-04-2012, 11:58 PM
If they have the best players that haven't ever made an AS team from 1-12? Then yes, easily.

PG - Irving/Wall
SG - Manu/Harden/Monta
SF - Gay/JSmoove
PF - ZBo/Lee
C - Big Al/Monroe/Gortat

Both Manu and ZBo have been All-Stars

PurpleJesus
04-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Yes

Nash
Bryant
Lebron
Love
Dwight

smood999
04-05-2012, 12:04 AM
never happened...never will..04 pistons the closest but ppl forget just how good rasheed wallace was on the blazers

alexander_37
04-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Lowry should be a shoe in at PG ..

AIsixersFK
04-05-2012, 12:10 AM
PG: Stephen Curry/Kyle Lowry
SG: Monta Ellis/James Harden
SF: Rudy Gay/Josh Smith
PF: Paul Millsap/Serge Ibaka
C: Tyson Chandler/DeMarcus Cousins

Yes.. That team would win the NBA title

That backcourt couldn't even make the playoffs.

GSRaider
04-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Yes, I think a starting five of non allstars can win a championship... They'd need a GREAT bech.

Da Knicks
04-05-2012, 12:26 AM

PG - Irving/Wall
SG - Manu/Harden/Monta
SF - Gay/JSmoove
PF - ZBo/Lee
C - Big Al/Monroe/Gortat

Manu, z-Bo and lee hAve being all stars...

b@llhog24
04-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Irving
Harden
Gay
Ersan
Monroe seems like a capable squad.

piston priest
04-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Actually, they did. Not only was Ben Wallace an All-Star that year, he was the starting center. This was due in large part because of the lack of good centers in the East, but it still counts.

FraziersKnicks
04-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Yeah, you're right.. Two top 7 SG's in the league, one of the best shooters in the league in Curry and one of the best defensive point guards in the league in Lowry. Silly me.

:rolleyes:

Swashcuff
04-05-2012, 10:49 AM

That back court is better than ours and their front court is too.

MonroeFAN
04-05-2012, 11:26 AM
never happened...never will..04 pistons the closest but ppl forget just how good rasheed wallace was on the blazers

People also forget that Ben Wallace was an all star multiple times (including that season).

Even a pistons fan didn't remember ;/

Swashcuff
04-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm going to try to stay as logical with this as I can

C: Tyson Chandler, Tiago Splitter, Joel Anthony
PF: Paul Millsap, Al Harrington
SF: Rudy Gay, Shane Battier
SG: James Harden, Tony Allen
PG: Kyle Lowry, Jose Juan Barea, Isaiah Thomas

Solid team but I don't really think they can win.

Celticsfan2007
04-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Denver Nuggets, anyone?

blob50192
04-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Yeah probally

PG. Stephen Curry
SG. Monta Ellis
SF. Rudy gay
PF. Josh Smith
C. Tyson Chandler

Lakers + Giants
04-05-2012, 12:21 PM

I think Billups, Rip, Rasheed and Ben made the all-star team that year. Basically the whole starting lineup except for prince.

NVM, just checked, that was 06.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-05-2012, 12:44 PM
of course, all-star game is a joke

Bornknick73
04-05-2012, 02:27 PM
not with John wall at pg.
but sure, an all NBA all star snub team could compete.

NOW THAT WOULD MAKE A HELL OF A ALL-STAR GAME!!

On one team the guys who were voted in against the guys who finished second. That would be one hell of a competitive game.

Raph12
04-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Both Manu and ZBo have been All-Stars

Meh, remove them and they still win...

toovey107
04-05-2012, 04:16 PM
John Wall :laugh: No.

To answer your question- yes.

FraziersKnicks
04-05-2012, 04:32 PM
That back court is better than ours and their front court is too.

Nice to see a Sixers fan with sense

FraziersKnicks
04-05-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm going to try to stay as logical with this as I can

C: Tyson Chandler, Tiago Splitter, Joel Anthony
PF: Paul Millsap, Al Harrington
SF: Rudy Gay, Shane Battier
SG: James Harden, Tony Allen
PG: Kyle Lowry, Jose Juan Barea, Isaiah Thomas

Solid team but I don't really think they can win.

I think it has enough of a mixture of offense and defense to go far in the playoffs.. A bit more realistic than mine as well haha

JasonJohnHorn
04-05-2012, 04:42 PM
I think the Pistons already proved that. I mean Ben was on the all-star team, but there were no centers really at the time, so that was a weak class of all-stars. And the other guys on the team either didn't make the team that year, or were given all-star spots after they won.

So yes. With a great coach, and some depth, a team without an all-star could win a title.

willabeast77
04-05-2012, 05:06 PM
It could happen but the league is tough and the competition with other star players on other teams would make it tougher

Bruno
04-05-2012, 06:55 PM
non all-star this year, or ever, in their career? list gets a lot slimmer if were talking bout players who have never been all-stars. the never been all-star team couldn't win a title, even if they were 10 deep. been an all star before, just not this year team could win a title.

felixng2012
04-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Its possible. You can get a pretty stacked team even without all stars. Keep in mind I am just listing a bunch of good players that have never been All Stars. I am not sure how well they would work well together.

SF- Josh Smith, Rudy Gay
PF- Ryan Anderson, Paul Millsap, Luis Scola
C- Tyson Chandler, Greg Monroe
SG- James Harden, Kevin Martin
PG- Kyrie Irving, Kyle Lowry

You can basically pick 15 somewhat elite basketball players. You would have the most stacked bench in the league and a pretty good starting unit as well.

ChiDougie19
04-05-2012, 08:10 PM
John Wall/Kyle Lowry
Monta Ellis/Iman Shumpert/Evan Turner
Rudy gay/Paul George
Josh Smith/Kennith Faried
Demarcus Cousins/Serge Ibaka/Nikola Pekovic

Close/ Its Done!!!!

CudiOnMyiPod
04-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Just because you aren't voted an All Star doesn't make you a non All Star.

AIsixersFK
04-06-2012, 05:16 AM
Yeah, you're right.. Two top 7 SG's in the league, one of the best shooters in the league in Curry and one of the best defensive point guards in the league in Lowry. Silly me.

:rolleyes:

Yeah cause Ellis and Curry made the playoffs how many times together? How many games over .500 where they when they played together? That's what I thought......