PDA

View Full Version : Should Teams Tank the Season if They Can't Make the Playoffs

TWolves Fan
04-04-2012, 09:20 PM
With the playoffs nearing and some teams having no chance at making the playoffs, shoud teams tank the season to get into the draft lottery?

Michael Russon of the Mineneapolis Star Tribune, posed this question to Wild coach Mike Yeo.

Mike Florio has written about this as it pertains to the suck for luck sweapstakes last season.

And these tow guys at argue the point at their Face-Off (http://www.sportmentary.com/p/face-off.html).

I think teams should play hard every game but I'm curious about what you think.

Gators123
04-04-2012, 09:26 PM
No, teams shouldn't tank and "fans" shouldn't root for their favorite teams to lose.

Sactown
04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Why would players want to tank? so their jobs can be replaced by someone else...

Cal827
04-04-2012, 09:28 PM
LOL, Raptor fans right now are pissed since they are starting to win.

Technically, they shouldn't to avoid killing team morale (Losing culture and whatnot), but usually potential aquisition of the top prosects (Davis, MKG) tend to be too enticing.

pd7631
04-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes. I've seen the Sixers go on runs 4 of the past 5 seasons only to get spanked in the first round of the playoffs. Where has this gotten us? Well, we have not had a winning season since 2004-2005. The only thing sneaking into the playoffs gets a team is a mediocre player in the draft and false hope.

TWolves Fan
04-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Teams could play back-ups more and sit starters. Teams in the NHL and MLB could call up prospects and sit the starters. Sure those players would try and the integrity of the game would be intact but that would be tanking. If starters complained, coaches and management could argue that they've lost the right to start since they played bag ball.

StriveGreatness
04-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Coaches and players should absolutely not tank. Their jobs are on the line.

For me personally, I hope the Pistons lose. Call me a bad fan or whatever but they aren't ever going to get better unless thy get better players. There's absolutely no point for me to want them to win these MEANINGLESS games.

josefrees
04-04-2012, 11:47 PM
From a basketball perspective it makes a lot of sense. From a realistic one it is pretty impossible unless the team is already at the bottom of barrel. A team that has already lost their season has to start building for the next year and that means offloading assets and seeing what your depth can do. Bobcats. Bobcats. A team that still has a shot of building off the year even if they don't have a real chance at the playoffs has to keep playing hard to create buzz for next year. Twolves.

murphturph
04-04-2012, 11:53 PM
NO! it installs a loosing mentality in the players, especially the rookies.

torocan
04-05-2012, 12:06 AM
With the playoffs nearing and some teams having no chance at making the playoffs, shoud teams tank the season to get into the draft lottery?

Michael Russon of the Mineneapolis Star Tribune, posed this question to Wild coach Mike Yeo.

Mike Florio has written about this as it pertains to the suck for luck sweapstakes last season.

And these tow guys at argue the point at their Face-Off (http://www.sportmentary.com/p/face-off.html).

I think teams should play hard every game but I'm curious about what you think.

Intentionally try to lose? No.

Try to conserve your starters for next season and get your bench and call ups some floor time to figure out who you want to keep for next season? I think that's just smart basketball once you're so deep in the tank it makes no difference.

So ask anyone who's on the floor to play hard, but nothing wrong with treating it as "garbage time" and using it to work on sets and assess your bench and d-league prospects on 10-day contracts.

TWolves Fan
04-05-2012, 12:17 AM
For me personally, I hope the Pistons lose. Call me a bad fan or whatever but they aren't ever going to get better unless thy get better players. There's absolutely no point for me to want them to win these MEANINGLESS games.

You're not bad. I think many fans would want their teams to lose if it meant something like the suck for luck sweapstakes.

Young2Kinsler
04-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Wish Dallas would tank, I want a lottery pick so bad.

mavwar53
04-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Only one team that should tank right now IMO, that is the warriors, they lose their first round pick if it is not in the top 7, they won tonight though. I think the owners have told Mark Jackson and a few veterans (Richard Jefferson and David Lee) to play their hardest but lose it in the end at all costs. Jefferson and Lee are going to be with the team for at least the next 2 years and aren't playing for a contract right now so it's no big deal to them.

Today Jefferson tried to lose the game by throwing the ball of David Lee's foot in a tie game with 22 seconds left but the warriors rookie PG Charles Jenkins picked it up and scored. 2 or 3 games ago David Lee took a 5 second call without really looking to get the ball in. Yesterday's game was a tight one and Jefferson let the ball go right through his hands and the Grizz took it for an easy dunk, and lastly against the Nets, Jefferson basically passed the ball to Gerald Wallace, didn't hustle back on D and he took it in for an easy fast break dunk, all the warriors games besides against the Hornets lately have been close but they have just given games away in the end.

Rain City
04-05-2012, 01:26 AM
No way!!!! Franchise suicide....You piss off your fan base and create bad habits.....What you do is play your developmental guys and mix and match alot and find out the guys you want to build around. I think you always need to try to cultivate a winning atmosphere if you ever want to get better....However, maybe once a decade it makes sense, but I think it is important to be eye to eye with your fanbase on this.

TWolves Fan
04-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Why would players want to tank? so their jobs can be replaced by someone else...

Good point but the team's coaches and management could play back-ups or call up players from the minors. That in essence would be tanking the season but the team could say that it's giving their players some playing experience.

TWolves Fan
04-05-2012, 03:52 PM
No way!!!! Franchise suicide....You piss off your fan base and create bad habits.....What you do is play your developmental guys and mix and match alot and find out the guys you want to build around. I think you always need to try to cultivate a winning atmosphere if you ever want to get better....However, maybe once a decade it makes sense, but I think it is important to be eye to eye with your fanbase on this.

I could take another approach and say you could tick of your fan base if you didn't tank. Sometimes your fan base wants a good draft pick. If you finish too hi to get into the lottery but just below the playoffs, you're neither here not there and get a mediocre 1st round pick. Do that year in and year out, that might be committing suicide as well.

Hawkeye15
04-05-2012, 03:54 PM
The fan in me says HELL NO! But the truth is, if your team is really, really bad, you end up pulling for losses late in the season to get the best chance at a #1-2 pick. Its human nature.

TWolves Fan
04-05-2012, 03:59 PM
The fan in me says HELL NO! But the truth is, if your team is really, really bad, you end up pulling for losses late in the season to get the best chance at a #1-2 pick. Its human nature.

I agree that in an ideal situation, I would want my team to play their best until the end.
I think the bottom 14 teams should be in the lottery in the NBA and NHL. That would solve a lot. Every team could play their best brand of hockey and not worry about draft picks. The rest of the teams would make the playoffs and would fight it out with teams just below them.